PDA

View Full Version : 2022 SouthDakota at Youngstown St.

Paladin1aa
October 25th, 2022, 08:18 PM
An interesting game this week end with USD (2-5) coming to YSU (4-3). The Yotes have played top MVFC teams NDSU, SDSU, ISUr and SIU. They upset SIU and were edged by ISUr 12-10. YSU has beaten bottom dwellers ISUb and WIU, barely. USD had a difficult schedule and don’t play WIU or ISUb.

USD has played strong D against a tough schedule. YSU has badly failed in their secondary with no pass rush and lacks quality CBs . While YSU has the leading runner in the MVFC, USD has a tandem of decent RBs .

Game notes pending.

Paladin1aa
October 26th, 2022, 11:14 AM
YSU game notes shows a couple of surprises. Alexander starts at WR ahead of Fordham and transfer Lee starts again at DT. Little change otherwise. McLaughlin is in striking distance of becoming 3rd leading rusher in NCAA history.

No game notes from USD yet but roster shows some interesting tidbits. Yotes have 19 players from Florida and 15 transfers. Add in players from Ohio, Texas and California. They have a huge OL , bigger than YSU and a transfer starting LB from Akron U.

Theywere lead in their upset of SIU by a strong arm 6’5, 240 lb QB transfer from Iowa St. Their coach has a background track record of winning everywhere he has been.

Im looking for a close game with USD being a higher rated team and showing in various match ups as a 3 or 4 pt favorite. Game time should be dry and mid 60s .

Paladin1aa
October 27th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Today’s local paper has made YSU the favorite in this game. YSU 34-24. I’m not sure why.

Earlier in the preseason I was projecting YSU to win 4 games with a shot at winning a fifth. Numerous games remain for that to happen. This is possibly one. But then, I turned my brain on. The Yotes are a lowly 2-5. They have lost to Kansas St. and FCS Top 20 teams NDSU, SDSU and Montana. But they also lost to ISUr who was getting votes, losing 12-10 on a missed FG. Besides beating Cal Poly, they did upset a ranked SIU 27-24.

Then I look at YSU. Beat lowly Duquesne and Dayton. Lost to Kentucky and NDSU . Had a chance against UND and lost. Then , beat the 2 worst teams in the MVFC in Indy St and then WIU, barely. Me thinks I’ve made up my mind.

While YSU might get lucky at home and win, I think it’s a close game but in the end, South Dakota 24-21.

F'N Hawks
October 27th, 2022, 12:25 PM
I have never seen a more pessimistic, negative fan board than the Penguin board. LOL. They hate the state of the program and pretty much hate everything, even when YSU wins. xlolx

penguinpower
October 27th, 2022, 12:57 PM
YSU plays well if they are athletically matched against teams that want to run the ball. But if there's even a hint of passing, they won't be able to stop anything. It's all or nothing. If Hooker is back this week they will be more difficult to deal with in the center of the field, but the corner play is not very good. If USD tries to make it a running game and and they don't try to push the ball down field, I think YSU has a good chance. The LB play is much improved this year.

penguinpower
October 27th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Much improved with run fits. Let me qualify that.

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2022, 01:17 PM
USD changed QBs in the second quarter last week and found their offense. Makes them a more dangerous team.

ysubigred
October 27th, 2022, 01:23 PM
I have never seen a more pessimistic, negative fan board than the Penguin board. LOL. They hate the state of the program and pretty much hate everything, even when YSU wins. xlolxGood evaluation. As a rule there are some great YSU fans. Most don't come on message boards. It's funny they get booted for rhetoric on the YSU board and pick up here for what they got booted for.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
October 27th, 2022, 01:31 PM
USD changed QBs in the second quarter last week and found their offense. Makes them a more dangerous team.

Exactly. He gave them some balance with run/pass and had a good day passing. If the Yotes throw, YSU is in trouble. No pass rush and play a soft zone. The CBs are both local kids, another problem. One from Ytown and the other from Warren Harding. I think they are there for good run support, but pass the ball and they both are in trouble.

A run game would give YSU a chance. Jaleel leads the FCS nation as he keeps getting better.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 28th, 2022, 09:36 PM
YSU....ground and pound USD.

YSU wins this one.

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:13 PM
TD YSU. McLaughlin 2 yd run.

YSU 7-0

Held USD to 3 and out and Yotes shank the punt, YSU taking over on their 39 yd line

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:21 PM
USD answers with TD run. 7 all.

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Yotes getting penalties for dirty play. They are self destructing

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:34 PM
YSU FG

Guins 10-7

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Yotes FG. 10 all

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 01:50 PM
TD pass

YSU 17-10

2nd qtr

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Davidson TD run.

YSU 24-10

The Yo Show
October 29th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Paladin, looks like you are gonna turn out wrong here this week.

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Paladin, looks like you are gonna turn out wrong here this week.

Maybe.

The Yo Show
October 29th, 2022, 02:15 PM
31 to 10 YSU

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Davidson TD pass

YSU 31-10

The Yo Show
October 29th, 2022, 02:25 PM
38-10 jaleel run

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 02:26 PM
McLaughlin 3 yd TD run

YSU 38-10

ysubigred
October 29th, 2022, 02:28 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221029/bf409b5afd948ccb999df450aa70a977.jpg

Chalupa Batman
October 29th, 2022, 02:31 PM
WTF is going on here? It seems like 5 minutes ago this game was 17-10 lol

The Yo Show
October 29th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Big red still never met you in person. Didn't know you were at the game

penguinpower
October 29th, 2022, 02:57 PM
WTF is going on here? It seems like 5 minutes ago this game was 17-10 lol

Penguins are figuring out how to play offense

ysubigred
October 29th, 2022, 03:13 PM
Big red still never met you in person. Didn't know you were at the gameSection 3 row 32 [emoji106]

penguinpower
October 29th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Section 3 row 32 [emoji106]

I used to sit in section 3 row 12. Season ticket holder until I moved south in 2011

ysubigred
October 29th, 2022, 03:58 PM
I used to sit in section 3 row 12. Season ticket holder until I moved south in 2011We've been here since 90.

penguinpower
October 29th, 2022, 04:00 PM
We've been here since 90.

Wow! I was there for years. Father-in-law is there now. He's been there for decades. Did you guys have the milk jugs with coins in them?

penguinpower
October 29th, 2022, 04:03 PM
He's there now. Probably wearing a black jacket or a red hoodie

Paladin1aa
October 29th, 2022, 04:14 PM
YSU 45-24.

Best game of the season

The Yo Show
October 29th, 2022, 04:22 PM
One thing, this was hella encouraging to see! I like our odds to get to 6 wins as I said back at the North Dakota State game. However, if they keep playing like this there could even be a *7th* win out there on this schedule...

BeamMeUp
October 29th, 2022, 04:41 PM
Tremendous effort after last week's performance. Finally were able to see what this team is capable of by playing a complete football game. Go Guins!

In Mitch We Trust!

ysubigred
October 29th, 2022, 05:03 PM
Wow! I was there for years. Father-in-law is there now. He's been there for decades. Did you guys have the milk jugs with coins in them?Yes sir and the cow bells.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2022, 11:25 AM
What a wacky year in the MVFC. WIU and Indy St were better than the Yotes. NDSU isn’t what they used to be and the league is topsy turvy . Guins, as bad as they have looked, don’t appear to be that bad. It’s a year where not much makes sense in FCS top league.

YSU now has won their 5th game. 5-3 appears to be overachieving.

BeamMeUp
October 30th, 2022, 11:56 AM
What a wacky year in the MVFC. WIU and Indy St were better than the Yotes. NDSU isn’t what they used to be and the league is topsy turvy . Guins, as bad as they have looked, don’t appear to be that bad. It’s a year where not much makes sense in FCS top league.

YSU now has won their 5th game. 5-3 appears to be overachieving.

That loss to the Fighting Hawks really stings right now. We'd be sitting pretty with NDSU right now at #2. Nonetheless, we are where we are at the moment and can any YSU fan possibly complain after that near cataclysmic performance in Macomb? And to fellow Section 3 fan ysubigred --- after WIU I did say any talk of the P word wasn't worth any YSU's fans time because we had not shown much signs of improvement. BUT I will eat crow based upon the fact this squad finally played a complete game and finally showed us their potential. Still quite dicey on defense, but the revamped offense with Mitch is keeping us in games.

We now go up against one of the top 3 defenses in the MVFC in Illinois State in there place. I am sure they will be ready to shut down Jaleel, but Mitch's throwing ability may be able to keep us in it. Don't look now but Mitch has completed 74 of 121 passes (61.2%) for 1,028 yards on the year and has thrown 9 TD's and just 1 INT.

With how bunched up the league is right now, could a couple 7-4 MVFC teams sneak into the playoff field this year based on the league's historical strength at the FCS level. If so, a lot of teams better buckle up over these next few weeks.

ysubigred
October 30th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Are you in row 20ish?

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2022, 09:00 PM
That loss to the Fighting Hawks really stings right now. We'd be sitting pretty with NDSU right now at #2. Nonetheless, we are where we are at the moment and can any YSU fan possibly complain after that near cataclysmic performance in Macomb? And to fellow Section 3 fan ysubigred --- after WIU I did say any talk of the P word wasn't worth any YSU's fans time because we had not shown much signs of improvement. BUT I will eat crow based upon the fact this squad finally played a complete game and finally showed us their potential. Still quite dicey on defense, but the revamped offense with Mitch is keeping us in games.

We now go up against one of the top 3 defenses in the MVFC in Illinois State in there place. I am sure they will be ready to shut down Jaleel, but Mitch's throwing ability may be able to keep us in it. Don't look now but Mitch has completed 74 of 121 passes (61.2%) for 1,028 yards on the year and has thrown 9 TD's and just 1 INT.

With how bunched up the league is right now, could a couple 7-4 MVFC teams sneak into the playoff field this year based on the league's historical strength at the FCS level. If so, a lot of teams better buckle up over these next few weeks.

Given the weakness in the league and the topsy turvy twists week after week, we show a lot of average with little or no wins that are significant. My guess is we get 2 from MVFC in for sure ( SDSU and NDSU) and a 3rd or 4th with UND and possible ISUr , even with 4 losses. The league isn’t tough enough overall to go deeper. Just my opinion