PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-24

JALMOND
October 25th, 2022, 12:24 AM
Getting down to crunch time and, after a heated Saturday in conference play, four teams are taking this weekend off. Still, there are some good games that may either decide some things, or make things more clouded in the conference. Quite the pace for the leaders, but teams will start to fall off a bit. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky (last week's ranking in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Montana State (3)---Last week beat Weber State at home 43-38, this week bye---How crazy was that game that the Bobcats were in last weekend? Four safeties and, really, not one was caused by the defense. They did emerge from the carnage and came up with a strong win. They get a well deserved and well timed week off this week.

2. Sacramento State (2)---Last week beat Montana at home 31-24 in OT, this week Idaho at home---The Hornets had some scary moments at home last week, but they buckled down and forced overtime, then came through and got the win. This starts an imposing gauntlet for them to navigate as things are far from easy from now on.

3. Idaho (4)---Last week beat Portland State at home 56-21, this week at Sacramento State---It looked for awhile that the Vandals may try to sleepwalk through last week's game, but they woke up at halftime and put the hammer down. The competition is tougher this weekend so they better play a whole game instead of half a game.

4. Weber State (1)---Last week lost at Montana State 43-38, this week Montana at home---A peculiar way to lose a ballgame, but the Wildcats did just that last weekend and has put a bit of a hiccup in their season. They need a win this week against a desperate opponent who it seems always gives them fits when they meet.

5. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 31-24 in OT, this week at Weber State---The Grizzlies tried their best to get back on the winning track last week, but could not close the book. Things are looking even more desperate this week with another capable foe all set to bring them crashing back down to earth.

6. UC Davis (6)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 58-10, this week Cal Poly at home---With everything else going on around them in the conference, the Aggies are slowly moving back into the picture with a resounding conference road win. They are taking advantage of this lull in the schedule to try to feast on the cupcakes.

7. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week won at Cal Poly 17-10, this week Portland State at home---The Eagles pretty much have mailed in their season as was evident by their lackluster win last week. Still, any conference road win is a good win, especially at the expense of your former coach. But a dangerous rival comes calling this week.

8. Portland State (8)---Last week lost at Idaho 56-21, this week at Eastern Washington---The Vikings looked strong in the first half last weekend, then never emerged from their locker room in the second half. Quality opponents mean quality effort and the Vikings have had a hard time playing hte whole game. They have their rival this week.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week won at Idaho State 24-10, this week bye---The Lumberjacks came up with a good hard-nosed, road conference win last week in a relatively tough place to play. They get a week off before jumping back into conference play, playing out the string and hoping to play spoiler in their last games.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost to UC Davis at home 58-10, this week bye---Have the Bears mailed in their once promising season? It sure looked that way last week with an ugly performance at home. They may need this week off to regroup and refocus because there still is football to be played. They need it.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 24-10, this week bye---A gallant effort by the Bengals at home was all for naught as they still got beat by a team still playing for something, and the Bengals really are not. They get a week off to figure out some things and start to play spoiler in these remaining games.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 17-10, this week at UC Davis---It was there for the taking as the Mustangs tried in vain to get a win against their coach's former team, but they could not close the game out. Things won't be getting any easier for them this week as one of the top teams welcomes them.

RECAP: 1-6 upper tier, 7-12 lower tier

VandalBasher
October 25th, 2022, 09:58 AM
With only Sac. State ranked above us, this next weekend will be the biggest game of the year, not counting the FBS games.

jadmt
October 25th, 2022, 10:10 AM
actually if you think about it all 4 safeties were caused by the defense. had the defense let weber get to mid field the muffed snaps would not have made it through the end zone....they might have actually ended up being touchdowns...poor kid.

watching the montana sac game, Montana got absolutely screwed. I know refs make mistakes but they went above and beyond in the mistakes category.

wapiti
October 25th, 2022, 10:18 AM
Two big games resulted with the home team winning and bottom of the barrel teams showed why they are there.
8 Div 1 wins will secure a playoff spot in the Big Sky, 7 will get you good consideration, 6 will need help.

1. Sac State (2) - Took down the mighty griz in Sac. With BBQ loss Sac jumps to 1. Needs 1 more win to secure a playoff spot. 4 games remaining.

2. Montana State (3) - Beat a good BBQ team in Bozeman. Special teams were not so special for either team. MSU should be working on ST defense this week. Needs 1 more win to secure a playoff spot. 3 games remaining.

3. Weber (1) - Lost a close one in Bozeman. BBQ should be working on long snaps this week. Needs 3 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 4 games remaining.

4. Idaho (4) - Crushed PSU in Portland. Needs 3 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 4 games remaining.

5. Montana (5) - Lost a close one @sac in OT. Needs 3 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 4 games remaining

6. UC Davis (6) - Crushed UNCU in Greely. Needs to win 4 games to earn playoff consideration. 4 games remaining.

7. EWU (7) - Struggled to beat the 12 team. Sometimes road games are tougher than expected. Needs to win remaining 4 games and have help.

8. NAU (9) - A win moves them up one spot. Needs to win remaining 3 games and have help.

9. PSU (8) - Lost to a good Idaho team. Out of the playoff picture.

10. NC (10) - Lost and Out of the playoff picture.

11. ISU (11) - Lost and Out of the playoff picture.

12. CP (12) - Lost and out of the playoff picture.

Recap: 1-4 contenders; 5 falling back a bit more; 6-9 Middle of the pack; 10-12 Bottom of the barrel

Green Cookie Monster
October 25th, 2022, 02:07 PM
actually if you think about it all 4 safeties were caused by the defense. had the defense let weber get to mid field the muffed snaps would not have made it through the end zone....they might have actually ended up being touchdowns...poor kid.

watching the montana sac game, Montana got absolutely screwed. I know refs make mistakes but they went above and beyond in the mistakes category.

How? Every angle, even Charlie Brown agreed he was in bounds. Got out coached, if that is the screwed part.

Green Cookie Monster
October 25th, 2022, 02:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221025/8ebacc95a7e7ae958f934826aa0ee2df.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221025/407f75190bbac9c126d31c17a3df89c9.jpg

Like this screwed?

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2022, 02:33 PM

Like this screwed?

I saw some pics posted by a Montana fan where it looked like he was out by a half inch, looks in on these pics

Anyway you slice it it was a great play and a great catch .....touchdown Sacramento State

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2022, 02:36 PM
1. Montana State (3) - Came away with a tough fought win over the Grills in a game with terrible performances by both special teams and the Big Sky officiating crew.
2. Sac State (1) - Eventually got the W in overtime against the Griz, but honestly I expected more out of them, so I dropped them a spot.
3. Idaho (4) - Big game in Sacramento this week. Vandals won by 7 over UM on the road in regular time, Hornets won by 7 at home in overtime the following week. Transitivity suggests Idaho is better than Sac, but I'm holding off jumping them until they play this week.
4. Weber State (1) - Bobcats gashed what was thought of as a solid run D for 347 yards, more than the entire Wildcat offense could muster.
5. Montana (5) - Nearly pulled the upset over the Hornets, but that doesn't jump any of the teams above them last week. They, like the Vandals, need to prove they are better than the team 1 spot above them by beating said team on road this weekend.
6. UC-Davis (6) - Still in the cupcake part of the schedule. Need to build momentum for the last 2 games of the season in hopes of a playoff berth.
7. EWU (7) - Barely beat the worst team in the conference. But it was on the road and... who below them can move up?
8. PSU (8) - Played another conference heavyweight and took another one on the chin. These blowout losses have me wanting to move them below NAU, but they have the H2H victory buoying them.... for now.
9. NAU (10) - I gave too much credit to the Bungles last week. I should have known better.
10. UNC (11) - Sure, they got their asses handed to them by Davis. But they have 2 wins, including the H2H over ISU, so really can't put them below the Bungles.
11. ISU-o (9) - The NAU game was their last best hope for a 2nd W in 2022. Only thing keeping them out of the cellar is their W is over the #12 team, while #12's only win was a 1 point win over a middling non-scholly San Diego.
12. CP (12) - Another team just hoping for the offseason, having no likely W's remaining.

1-4 Contenders
5 Needs to right the ship or they could be sweating Selection Sunday with a 7-4 record, a 3 game losing streak, ending on a loss and no good wins to hang their hat on. In fact, none of the 7 wins would be above .500, and likely none would even finish 5-6.
6 Simple... win out or sit at home come playoff time. Do that and they may be the team to steal UM's playoff spot, as their 7-4 record would include ending the regular season on a 6 game winning streak and back to back wins over ranked Idaho and Sac St.
7-9 Looking to play spoiler
10-12 Just looking forward to November 20th, but not for the same reason as the top 4-6 teams

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2022, 02:43 PM
I saw some pics posted by a Montana fan where it looked like he was out by a half inch, looks in on these pics

Anyway you slice it it was a great play and a great catch .....touchdown Sacramento State

Saw those pics showing he was out. Given this contradicting evidence, I can see why the call on the field was not overturned. There is a difference between the original call standing and being confirmed. There were more obvious holding penalties by Weber that went uncalled than this potential missed call.

wapiti
October 25th, 2022, 03:08 PM

Like this screwed?

In the upper right picture the ball appears to not yet be secured. Another one-third second and it will be and that may put his foot out of bounds

JALMOND
October 25th, 2022, 03:33 PM
8. PSU (8) - Played another conference heavyweight and took another one on the chin. These blowout losses have me wanting to move them below NAU, but they have the H2H victory buoying them.... for now.
9. NAU (10) - I gave too much credit to the Bungles last week. I should have known better.

I actually had the Jacks ahead of the Viks right up to when I posted mine. Then with the head to head as well as the Vikings playing a little more difficult of a schedule so far, I bumped them ahead of the Jacks for now, but it was a last minute decision.

uofmman1122
October 25th, 2022, 04:02 PM

Like this screwed?
He doesn’t have possession in these pictures, and it’s obvious if you run the tape back and forth. The moment he possesses the ball, his left foot is out. I don’t think it’s particularly close, but whatever.

FWIW, the only people I’ve seen claim he was inbounds are Sac fans. Even most bobcat fans I talk to think we got a raw deal here, but we had every opportunity to win this one without this, so I’m past it. Hopefully we get another shot at you guys later this season.

JALMOND
October 25th, 2022, 05:11 PM
He doesn’t have possession in these pictures, and it’s obvious if you run the tape back and forth. The moment he possesses the ball, his left foot is out. I don’t think it’s particularly close, but whatever.

FWIW, the only people I’ve seen claim he was inbounds are Sac fans. Even most bobcat fans I talk to think we got a raw deal here, but we had every opportunity to win this one without this, so I’m past it. Hopefully we get another shot at you guys later this season.

To me, I don't see enough to overturn the call. I think you have to stick with what the officials called it on the field. Did they say incomplete or complete?

It is one of those where the play "stands", not necessarily "confirmed" or "overturned". Just my opinion.xtwocentsx

dbackjon
October 25th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Looks in to me

dbackjon
October 25th, 2022, 05:52 PM
To me, I don't see enough to overturn the call. I think you have to stick with what the officials called it on the field. Did they say incomplete or complete?

It is one of those where the play "stands", not necessarily "confirmed" or "overturned". Just my opinion.xtwocentsx

Great point - not enough to change the call either way. Had Montana gotten their usual call in their favor, would have been tough to overturn.

SeattleCat
October 26th, 2022, 01:37 PM

I'll admit, the first thing I did was rofl and yelled "HAHAHA BIGSKY REFS". After seeing all the pictures and everything else, it's so close, you almost have to give him the catch.