PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 9, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
October 24th, 2022, 05:25 PM
With yet another week gone by, we are now at the final 1/3 of the season. Hitting some important conference matchups between top teams that will help provide some more clarity to conference races and where teams stack up. Also some battles that could ultimately decide conferences (and auto-bids). Week 9 had about six no brainers and a slew of other games of importance for various reasons. These were the games decided on (with a few others considered also listed). Enjoy!

#18 Rhode Island @ #9 William & Mary - Are the Rams really a weaker link in the five-team CAA race, or will the CAA race become even more muddied?

#10 Delaware @ #27 Elon - The Phoenix appear to be on the outside looking in. Can they play spoiler AND perhaps keep their playoff hopes alive?

#7 Chattanooga @ #22 Furman - Will the Mocs reinforce their SoCon supremacy, or will there be a letdown after last week’s showdown?

#11 Montana @ #5 Weber State - Battle of last week’s losing teams that went toe-to-toe with the “best” of the Big Sky.

#13 Idaho @ #2 Sac State - Wait a minute, could the Vandals be the “best” of the Big Sky?

#28 Illinois State @ #4 North Dakota State - As Professor Chaos pointed out in another thread, the Bison and Redbirds have work to do for playoff consideration.

#24 Fordham @ #8 Holy Cross - Perhaps the standards are higher for a Patriot League team to get a seed, but after last week’s scare, the Crusaders must prove they are the team to beat in the Patriot.

#34 Campbell @ North Carolina A&T - Somebody has to win the Big South auto-bid, right?

St. Francis @ Sacred Heart - Implications for the NEC auto-bid, with the Red Flash eyeing a showdown with Merrimack at the end of the season...just don’t overlook the Pioneers first.

Other games considered:

Valparaiso @ Dayton or San Diego @ St. Thomas - A shakedown in the Pioneer League.

Eastern Kentucky @ #15 Southeast Missouri State or Jacksonville State @ # 28 Austin Peay - Playoff and/or conference championship implications (especially in the ASUN-WAC power ratings to decide the AQ team).

Southern @ # 16 Jackson State - Quest for perfection for the Tigers with the Jaguars hoping to play spoiler.

#6 Incarnate Word @ Texas A&M-Commerce - Wouldn’t that be something if the Cardinals were set off course by the Lions? Don’t expect it to happen, but...

ElCid
October 24th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Nice selection! Thanks! Have to think hard about it.

FUBeAR
October 24th, 2022, 05:39 PM
#7 Chattanooga @ #22 Furman - Will the Mocs reinforce their SoCon supremacy, or will there be a letdown after last week’s showdown?
Why would you assume a Moc “letdown” if Furman wins the game?

Maybe the Mocs play their best game, but just don’t match up as well against Furman as they did vs. Mercer, particularly with Mercer having to play from behind - down 2+ scores - for all but 2 or 3 minutes of the game.

crusader11
October 24th, 2022, 06:04 PM
I do my best to stay unbiased with these, but the PL and HC homer in me has to take Fordham at HC, as it's the de facto PL Championship.

Those whose teams will likely be residing on the bubble should pay close attention to this one. A Fordham win, and the PL is almost assuredly a two-bid league. If Fordham loses, they're right on the bubble at season's end, in all likelihood.

POD Knows
October 24th, 2022, 06:37 PM
Sac State and Idaho, the way the schedules play out, if Idaho wins this, they could win out and maybe get a 1 seed. Strange times we are living in

Preferred Walk-On
October 24th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Why would you assume a Moc “letdown” if Furman wins the game?

Maybe the Mocs play their best game, but just don’t match up as well against Furman as they did vs. Mercer, particularly with Mercer having to play from behind - down 2+ scores - for all but 2 or 3 minutes of the game.

You’re right. The Mocs (or their fans) probably aren’t expecting to win, and therefore if Furman wins, it certainly won’t be a letdown. Got it. I think you have bigger battles to fight…like convincing everyone that there should be three seeded SoCon teams. Ah, now I see why it won’t be a letdown…a championship-caliber team like Chattanooga losing to a championship-caliber team like Furman certainly won’t be disappointing, even after beating a championship-caliber team like Mercer. As a fan of a former championship-caliber team, I would be disappointed (or letdown) AF, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preferred Walk-On
October 24th, 2022, 06:49 PM
I do my best to stay unbiased with these, but the PL and HC homer in me has to take Fordham at HC, as it's the de facto PL Championship.

Those whose teams will likely be residing on the bubble should pay close attention to this one. A Fordham win, and the PL is almost assuredly a two-bid league. If Fordham loses, they're right on the bubble at season's end, in all likelihood.

^This.

FUBeAR
October 24th, 2022, 07:36 PM
You’re right. The Mocs (or their fans) probably aren’t expecting to win, and therefore if Furman wins, it certainly won’t be a letdown. Got it. I think you have bigger battles to fight…like convincing everyone that there should be three seeded SoCon teams. Ah, now I see why it won’t be a letdown…a championship-caliber team like Chattanooga losing to a championship-caliber team like Furman certainly won’t be disappointing, even after beating a championship-caliber team like Mercer. As a fan of a former championship-caliber team, I would be disappointed (or letdown) AF, but that’s just me.
Seemed like you were referring to the Team suffering a “letdown,” performing poorly, and losing the game…as would be the case in most usage of “letdown” in that context. If you were referring to the Players & Fans feelings after a potential loss, then, um…FUBeAR’s bad.

Regardless - all that other stuff you said - seems like you’re really starting to get it. Good job!

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2022, 08:06 PM
Idaho v Sac St.

VandalBasher
October 24th, 2022, 09:21 PM
This Sac. St. coach has only lost one regular season game. is this correct? The Montana game was equally as big as any of the three bowl games the Vandals played in. This game will be equally as important.

FUGameBreaker
October 24th, 2022, 09:52 PM

https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

NY Crusader 2010
October 25th, 2022, 03:45 AM
The homer in me also picked HC-Fordham.

I'll pick this one as my East Coast Game of the Week, Sac State-Idaho as my West Coast Game of the Week.

Chalupa Batman
October 25th, 2022, 06:11 AM
A lot of good options, but I went with the Patriot League championship game.

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2022, 04:28 PM
A bit homerish, but I went with the Sac o' Idaho potatoes Bowl. To me, Idaho should be ranked slightly above the Griz, and both are undefeated in FCS and in conference (Sac is undefeated period), so that edges the Weber-UM game. If Idaho wins, they very likely go undefeated in the Big Sky and co-champs at a minimum. If Sac wins, but drops the game @WSU next week (or even vs. Davis), the Bobcats control their own destiny for sole ownership of the conference championship.

There are several good games and 4 that you really can't go wrong with though, which is exemplified in the voting so far. Have we had GOTW where the winner didn't even get to 40%? Chat-Furman would need to get the next 4 votes to reach that threshold.

mvemjsunpx
October 25th, 2022, 11:27 PM
This Sac. St. coach has only lost one regular season game. is this correct?

One conference game.

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2022, 01:22 PM
I'll vote for the Patriot League championship game. Will there be one or two Patriot Play-off teams? This game will likely prove the answer. SAC St vs Idaho is also a solid choice.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
October 29th, 2022, 10:29 AM
AGS GOTW week 9 total votes so far 62

Most total votes this season for an AGS GOTW has been 66

FUGameBreaker
October 29th, 2022, 04:33 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1586466519990829056

gofurman
October 29th, 2022, 10:56 PM
Oddly enough. This was AGS GAME OF THE WEEK but almost no one posted about it in the daily score thread. I found that a little odd. Anyway

Be interesting to see what voters here and STATS and COACHES do with this. No excuse for even crazy coaches (!) to not notice that Furman is now 7-2 (loss to FBS Clemson) so one FCS loss and beat number 7 Chattanooga who hadn’t lost any FCS games at all until today. Furman led most all game

FUGameBreaker
October 30th, 2022, 10:28 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1586465877058256900
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1586691126349766656