PDA

View Full Version : SUU scheduling article....

FargoBison
October 24th, 2007, 12:32 AM
SUU coach regrets tough slate
Jeff Kolpack, The Forum

The toughest schedule in Division I Football Championship Subdivision may be taking its toll on Southern Utah. The team is 0-7 and the job status of its head coach is shaky.

Wes Meier admitted this week that there are regrets with a schedule that includes five of the top seven teams in this week’s FCS coaches poll and seven ranked teams in all.

“There (are) now, when you hear every day whether you have a job or not,” Meier said.

Meier said it was a goal when he took the job three years ago to play the best teams in FCS. In order to be a top program, he said Southern Utah needed to play the top teams.

“I’m just hoping for some patience with our administration,” Meier said. “I think they know what we’re up against. We just hope they hang in there with us and continue to build. We have to make them continue to believe in us.”

A good showing Saturday at No. 1-ranked North Dakota State would help. Besides the Bison, SUU has played No. 3 Montana, No. 5 McNeese State, No. 7 Southern Illinois, No. 16 Montana State and No. 20 Youngstown State.....

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/181715

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
you gotta be kiding me? The AD sticks him with that deadly schedule and now theres speculation the coaches job is on the line... THATS JUST RIDICULOUS!

FargoBison
October 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
you gotta be kiding me? The AD sticks him with that deadly schedule and now theres speculation the coaches job is on the line... THATS JUST RIDICULOUS!

It doesn't make any sense unless the AD's goal was to get the coach canned.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Agreed. And it's not like there haven't been some bright spots - SUU played Montana tough, and had a shot at upsetting Montana State and Youngstown State!

AmsterBison
October 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
from what I remember, their running back Johnny Sanchez gives NDSU fits. Apparently, they've got the talent (Coach Bohl was talking about a lot of transfers) but it takes them a long time to get on the same page - and, sometimes, by the time they could be coming together, they have already kind of given up.

This year's SUU team seems to be going in the right direction so it'd be best if NDSU scored quickly on them a couple times... however, that's not how NDSU has got it done this year. NDSU is kinda like Bruce Lee - they don't get going until they get a good smack in the mouth and can taste their own blood. :)

kardplayer
October 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Wes Meier admitted this week that there are regrets with a schedule that includes five of the top seven teams in this week’s FCS coaches poll and seven ranked teams in all.

Meier said it was a goal when he took the job three years ago to play the best teams in FCS. In order to be a top program, he said Southern Utah needed to play the top teams.

It sounds like the coach asked for the schedule - not that the AD stuck him with it.

Nonetheless, if there is progress being made, he should get the chance to do it. Otherwise it'll be further incentive to schedule soft...

JBB
October 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Look for a game like MVSU. NDSU up early and often.

MR. CHICKEN
October 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
SUU coach regrets tough slate
Jeff Kolpack, The Forum

The toughest schedule in Division I Football Championship Subdivision may be taking its toll on Southern Utah. The team is 0-7 and the job status of its head coach is shaky.

“There (are) now, when you hear every day whether you have a job or not,” Meier said.

“I’m just hoping for some patience with our administration,” Meier said. “I think they know what we’re up against. We just hope they hang in there with us and continue to build. We have to make them continue to believe in us.”

A good showing Saturday at No. 1-ranked North Dakota State would help. Besides the Bison, SUU has played No. 3 Montana, No. 5 McNeese State, No. 7 Southern Illinois, No. 16 Montana State and No. 20 Youngstown State.....

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/181715

WOULDN'T YA THINK.....ANY COACH WORFF HIS SALT.....INTERVIEWIN' FO' UH NEW SKOOL.........WOULD WANNA TAKE UH LOOK...AT DAT SKOOL'S....PROJECTED SKEDS....FO' AS MANY YEARS AHEAD AS POSSIBLE...B/FO'.....SIGNIN' ON...xconfusedxxconfusedx.........BRAWK!

ANY ONE WHO AGREED TA TAKE ON DIS LIST......DESERVES WHAT'S COMIN'.........MOST O' DESE INSTITUTIONS.....ARE PERRENIAL TUSH DRILLERAHS:

MONTANA
NORFF DAKOTAH
SOUFFERN ILLINOIS
MCNEESE STATE
MONTANA STATE
YOUNGSTOWN STATE
UC DAVIS
NORFF DAKOTAH STATE
CAL POLY
SOUFF DADOTAH STATE
NORFFERN IOWA

RabidRabbit
October 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Granted Wes Meier is in his 4th year. And SUU GROSSLY OVERDID THIS YEAR'S SCHEDULE xeekx xeekx However, he has less schollies than anyone else in the GWFC. And the least kindly facilities/reputation/ location of any of the school.

Here's a xbeerchugx xbeerchugx that he gets until the end of '08 before he gets booted, if at all. This season was about toughening a young squad. Next year, and '09 are when the T'birds should be tough enough to match up and pull wins out against MOST FCS teams.