PDA

View Full Version : The Collegiate Bowl

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
I have an idea... What if at the end of every football season...the National Champion FBS team were to play the National Champion FCS team, plus 22 (to make up for the scholly difference) of the top players from the Runner up FCS team ...in which the 22 players would be hand picked by the FCS National Champion coach. This game would be played the following week after the FBS National Championship game. This would be like the SuperBowl of College Football.

What do you think? Who do you think would win this game and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages....and for who?

spelunker64
October 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Well for one, the time differece of the FBS "championship" happening about a month after the FCS Championship.

#2 This isn't NCAA 2008 for XBOX 360...

DemiGS
October 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Would never fly, but a cool idea.

Who would you guys pick as the 22 added players??
This is not only guessing the champ, but then narrowing down entire FCS nation to 22 key players you would add to your national title team.

It kind of reminds me of high school in Florida. Every year we had the Florida/Georgia high school game. players where picked from teams scattered around the two states.

My senior year we had an offensive tackle rated as the best offensive linemen in the nation. For some reason the Florida coach that year felt it was a good idea to play him at tight end. This implies that he thought someone else would be better as his left tackle xeyebrowx

BlueHen86
October 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
I think the FBS champs would win. The 'FCS +22' team would not have time to form a cohesive unit.

If we're going to have a game a week after the bowls I'd rather it be the BCS '+1 game'.

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Well for one, the time differece of the FBS "championship" happening about a month after the FCS Championship.

#2 This isn't NCAA 2008 for XBOX 360...That's perfect....this will give the FCS the same break that the FBS gets before it's bowl games considering the play-offs, plus it will allow the 22 players to gel with the other players.... Your sarcasm was actually a good point....xpeacex

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Would never fly, but a cool idea.

Who would you guys pick as the 22 added players??
This is not only guessing the champ, but then narrowing down entire FCS nation to 22 key players you would add to your national title team.

It kind of reminds me of high school in Florida. Every year we had the Florida/Georgia high school game. players where picked from teams scattered around the two states.

My senior year we had an offensive tackle rated as the best offensive linemen in the nation. For some reason the Florida coach that year felt it was a good idea to play him at tight end. This implies that he thought someone else would be better as his left tackle xeyebrowx
No...the 22 players would only come from the Runner Up FCS team, not the rest of the FCS.....I think an FCS All-Star team like this would blitz any FBS team..... But only Runner Up players are allowed to be selected in all fairness....

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
I think the FBS champs would win. The 'FCS +22' team would not have time to form a cohesive unit.

If we're going to have a game a week after the bowls I'd rather it be the BCS '+1 game'.
Remember, the FCS playoffs finishes almost a month before the BCS Championship game. This would give a team of this sorts plenty of time to gel. But I would want a rule that would not allow them to practice until a week before the final BCS game, giving them a total of two weeks preps. That way they can get the Holidays out of the way and it would be fair.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
#2 This isn't NCAA 2008 for XBOX 360...

I just wish the NCAA console games allowed for actual FCS play, as in the FCS conferences (not just the ability to substitute FCS teams in for the Sun Belt teams, etc.) and the playoffs.

BlueHen86
October 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Remember, the FCS playoffs finishes almost a month before the BCS Championship game. This would give a team of this sorts plenty of time to gel. But I would want a rule that would not allow them to practice until a week before the final BCS game, giving them a total of two weeks preps. That way they can get the Holidays out of the way and it would be fair.
My thinking is this:
The FBS champ would handily defeat the FCS champ, maybe not a rout, but convincingly. In order for the 'FCS+22' they will need a significant contribution from the '+22'. But these 22 players will be coming off of a Championship game loss and may not get 'up' for the game you propose. Also they will only have a week to gel with their new teammates and game plans. It would be an interesting game, but I think the FBS champs would win (even though they might also not get 'up' for the game).

BearsCountry
October 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Pretty dumb idea IMO.

brownbear
October 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
They used to play a game called the "College Bowl" where the NFL champion would play a team of college all-stars. The college team won several times. I think having an FCS champion team play (with some extra help from some other FCS teams) an FBS team would actually be a competitive game. The FBS team would think "We're better than every team in I-A, so we're gonna kill these guys." App beating Michigan all over again.

aust42
October 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
They used to play a game called the "College Bowl" where the NFL champion would play a team of college all-stars. The college team won several times. I think having an FCS champion team play (with some extra help from some other FCS teams) an FBS team would actually be a competitive game. The FBS team would think "We're better than every team in I-A, so we're gonna kill these guys." App beating Michigan all over again.

I think the FBS Championship team would "put a whoopin" on the FCS Champion + 22 IMO.

I was inspired to Google up the College Bowl history. See this link for the history and scores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_All-Star_Game

UMass922
October 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Eh. I'd have a hard time getting excited about it. Seems anti-climactic. And the idea of trying to assimilate 22 players onto a new team for a mere exhibition game seems like more trouble than its worth.

andy7171
October 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't call it a stupid idea, but...

How as a coach of a NC team would you incorporate outside players into playing roles? You would be telling your own players you're not good enough. Or this guy is better than you. If you, as the coach, were leaving the school, OK. But how can you coach a player whom you benched for a stranger from another team the next year?

CollegeSportsInfo
October 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I have an idea... What if at the end of every football season...the National Champion FBS team were to play the National Champion FCS team, plus 22 (to make up for the scholly difference) of the top players from the Runner up FCS team ...in which the 22 players would be hand picked by the FCS National Champion coach. This game would be played the following week after the FBS National Championship game. This would be like the SuperBowl of College Football.

What do you think? Who do you think would win this game and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages....and for who?

Unfortunately, if such a playoff-type game were to exist, it would make more sense for an overall playoff system to be created for FBS. Then, simply merge FBS and FCS. I don't know how people would feel about automatic bids to a 16 team tourney, since it would likely leave out most current FCS teams.