PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 Playoff Prognostication

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Only 4 weeks left in the regular season so I put together a list of teams in playoff contention (in my opinion) and handicapped their odds based primarily on the Massey projections for them to win/lose their remaining games. You can see all of Massey's updated numbers at https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/fcs/ratings. The numbers in brackets behind each team is Massey's expected remaining wins and losses and the percentage in parenthesis behind each remaining game is Massey's percentage that each team wins that respective game.

Big Sky
Massey has Sac St with the best probability at 10-1 and Montana St and Weber St at 9-2 so seems like they are all pretty safely in since 8 wins in the Big Sky should get you in. Montana is an interesting one - if they win the two they should win and lose the other two is 7-4 with no good wins enough to get them in? I'd say probably but they'd be at the mercy of the rest of the bubble. We'll find out whether Idaho is for real over the next 3 weeks here but I'd think if they can win 1 of these next 3 they'll find their way in. UC Davis probably needs to win out which is a tall order with their final 2 games. I'm going to say the Big Sky gets 5 this year but the bubble is looking tough so it could drop to 4 depending on what happens elsewhere.

Should be in
Montana St 7-1 (5-0) [2.13/0/87] - @NAU (77%), @Cal Poly (84%), Montana (52%)
Sac St 7-0 (4-0) [2.83/1.17] - Idaho (75%), @Weber St (51%), @PSU (84%), UC Davis (73%)
Weber St 6-1 (3-1) [2.93/1.07] - Montana (60%), Sac St (49%), Idaho St (97%), @NAU (87%)

Work left to do
Idaho 5-2 (4-0) [2.15/1.85] - @Sac St (25%), EWU (58%), UC Davis (51%), @Idaho St (81%)
Montana 5-2 (2-2) [2.53/1.47] - @Weber St (40%), Cal Poly (94%), EWU (71%), @Montana St (48%)

In the hunt
UC Davis 3-4 (2-2) [2.53/1.47] - Cal Poly (87%), Idaho St (90%), @Idaho (49%), @Sac St (27%)

CAA
This is a mess to try to figure out. About the only team I think can be feeling very comfortable is William @ Mary with a good shot to get to 8 wins by 11/5. Even though Delaware is 6-1 they've got a real tough finish to the season to navigate as does UNH - both are probably fine at 7-4 but need to get to 8 wins to get locked in. Massey likes Richmond more than I do but I see URI, Richmond, and Elon all finishing around that 7-4 mark making it super tough to sort them out. Nova could still play spoiler but their last two will be tough and they'll need to at least split them to have a chance. If Monmouth can upset Delaware in Newark they could crash the party at 7-4 as well. I'm gonna throw a dart and say the CAA gets 4 in right now but who those are outside of W&M and probably Delaware I have no idea.

Should be in
William & Mary 6-1 (3-1) [2.54/1.46] - URI (68%), @Hampton (86%), Nova (58%), @Richmond (41%)

Work left to do
Delaware 6-1 (3-1) [2.05/1.95] - @Elon (48%), Monmouth (64%), Richmond (48%), @Nova (45%)
New Hampshire 6-2 (5-0) [1.34/1.66] @Richmond (23%), URI (54%), @Maine (57%)
Rhode Island 5-2 (3-1) [2.09/1.91] - @W&M (32%), Maine (67%), @UNH (46%), Albany (65%)
Richmond 5-2 (3-1) [2.64/1.36] - @Maine (75%), UNH (77%), @Delaware (52%), William & Mary (59%)
Elon 5-3 (3-2) [2.08/0.92] - Delaware (52%), Albany (73%), @Hampton (84%)

In the hunt
Villanova 4-3 (2-2) [2.65/1.35] - Hampton (89%), @Towson (79%), @W&M (42%), Delaware (55%)
Monmouth 4-4 (2-3) [1.85/1.15] Towson (73%), @Delaware (36%), SBU (76%)

MVFC
It's an unusually weak year for the MVFC in terms of playoff teams. SDSU is the only one that can feel too comfortable. NDSU should be good shape but I don't know if I like them as much as Massey does in their final 4. Illinois St has two winnable games and two tough ones left but just need 2 to get in I think. SIU and UND look like they'll have a tricky path to 7 wins but doable. YSU doesn't have any super tough games left but they'll need to win 3 of 4 which might be a tall order. UNI will need to win out including a win over SDSU so seems unlikely. The bubble is looking pretty tough this year so I'm gonna say the MVFC is tracking towards 3 bids right now with 4 still a possibility.

Should be in
SDSU 7-1 (5-0) [2.50/0.50] - Indiana St (94%), @UNI (64%), Illinois St (92%)

Work left to do
NDSU 5-2 (3-1) [3.28/0.72] - Illinois St (92%), @WIU (92%), @SIU (65%), UND (78%)
Illinois St 5-2 (3-1) [1.55/2.45] - @NDSU (8%), YSU (58%), @SDSU (8%), WIU (81%)
SIU 5-3 (4-1) [1.50/1.50] - UNI (54%), NDSU (35%), @YSU (61%)
UND 4-3 (3-2) [2.24/1.76] - ACU (75%), @Indiana St (68%), USD (60%), @NDSU (22%)

In the hunt
YSU 4-3 (2-2) [1.70/2.30] - USD (48%), @Illinois St (42%), @Missouri St (40%), SIU (39%)
UNI 4-4 (3-2) [1.39/1.61] - @SIU (46), SDSU (36%), @USD (58%)

SOCON
Four SOCON teams already have 7 wins and they're the only teams with any playoff chances. I think UTC should be feeling more comfortable than Samford in that first group - if Samford drops one of these next 2 those last 2 are going to be tough and 7-4 might be an iffy spot losing 3 of your last 4. Mercer should be ok needing to win just one of those last 2 (assuming they beat VMI) to get to 8 wins but Furman probably needs to take one of these next 2 tough ones in order to avoid a sweat on Selection Sunday. I think the bubble will be tight enough where only 3 of these SOCON teams get in but if they get some help all 4 could certainly get in.

Should be in
Chattanooga 6-1 (4-0) [2.89/1.11] - @Furman (57%), @Citadel (89%), Samford (68%), @WCU (76%)
Samford 6-1 (4-0) [2.27/1.73] - @Citadel (69%), VMI (81%), @UTC (32%), Mercer (44%)

Work left to do
Mercer 6-2 (4-1) [2.03/0.97] - @VMI (84%), Furman (64%), @Samford (56%)
Furman 6-2 (4-1) [1.69/1.31] - UTC (43%), @Mercer (36%), Wofford (90%)

OVC and Southland
Lumping these two together even though they have separate autos (at least this year). Both UIW and SEMO have what seems to be pretty clear paths to 9 wins. SLU and UTM are a in a bit tougher of a spot. Both played 2 FBS games (losing both) so it'll be interesting to see how the committee treats they if they end up at 7-4 (7-2 vs FCS). I think all 4 of these teams get in. There's still a slight possibility that someone else from these two conferences snatches the auto but it's very unlikely any other OVC or SLC teams will be in playoff consideration.

Should be in
Incarnate Word 7-1 (2-1) [2.41/0.59] - @TAMU-CC (66%), HCU (92%), NWSU (83%)
SEMO 6-1 (2-0) [3.03/0.97] - EKU (61%), @TSU (73%), @EIU (78%), Murray St (90%)

Work left to do
SLU 4-3 (1-1) [3.24/0.76] - McNeese (75%), @Lamar (88%), NWSU (87%), @Nicholls (73%)
UT Martin 4-3 (3-0) [3.16/0.84] - @HCU (90%), KSU (70%), @TSU (72%), EIU (84%)

Others
There will probably be 3 autos (from the Patiot, ASUN/WAC, and Big South) from teams in this group so that will thin the at-large candidates considerably. Fordham probably has the best shot to get in outside of that since if they lose to Holy Cross but win out they'll be 9-2 with an FBS loss but with their best win only being Monmouth. I don't know how the WAC/ASUN auto works this year but if Austin Peay (minus their Alabama game) and SFA win out I'd assume one gets the auto and the other would probably be an at-large. The teams I listed "in the hunt" all are pretty longs shots IMO except that either Campbell or NC A&T will probably be the Big South auto. NC Central would be an intersting wild card - they're not in line for the Celebration Bowl as the MEAC champ right now but if they win out to get to 9-2 with wins over UNH and NC A&T (if those are both playoff teams) it would be tough to leave them out. Depending on what happens in the leagues listed above there may not be any spots for these teams so the bubble will play just as much of a role in their playoff fates as their own play will.

Should be in
Holy Cross 7-0 (3-0) [3.45/0.55] - Fordham (67%), Lehigh (97%), Bryant (89%), @Georgetown (92%)

Work left to do
Fordham 6-1 (3-0) [2.47/1.53] - @Holy Cross (33%), @Bucknell (76%), Lafayette (69%), Colgate (68%)
Austin Peay 5-2 (1-1) [2.02/1.98] - Jax St (63%), @UNA (73%), @KSU (66%), @Alabama (1%)
Stephen F Austin 5-3 (2-0) [1.75/1.25] - Utah Tech (75%), UCA (48%), @ACU (52%)

In the hunt
ACU 5-2 (2-0) [1.51/2.49] - @UND (25%), @Tarleton St (56%), @SHSU (20%), SFA (48%)
EKU 4-3 (1-1) [2.22/1.78] - @SEMO (39%), UCA (49%), @Jax St (43%), KSU (62%)
UCA 3-4 (2-0) [2.33/1/67] - UNA (73%), @EKU (51%), @SFA (52%), Jax St (57%)
Campbell 4-3 (2-0) [2.61/1.39] - @NC A&T (55%), @Bryant (66%), Gardner-Webb (51%), @Delaware St (89%)
NC Central 5-2 (1-1) [2.53/1.47] - @Delaware St (72%), Howard (70%), @Norfolk St (67%), @TTU (46%)
NC A&T 4-3 (2-0) [2.21/1.79] - Campbell (45%), Norfolk St (83%), CSU (62%), @Gardner-Webb (31%)

So there's 13 at-large available - this is where I think each league is at in terms of getting them (this excludes the auto so each of these leagues will have an additional playoff team):
Big Sky: 4
CAA: 3
MVFC: 2
SOCON: 2
OVC: 1
Southland: 1

The bubble looks tough this year but it usually seems to look tougher at this point in the season with 4 games left than it ends up being - each upset that happens in the last 4 weeks (which is bound to happen) softens it up so there's still plenty of opportunity for these projections to change a lot.

Next week I might put together a projected field and/or bracket but for now it's just a lot of guess-timating so I'm going to skip that this week. What do you think? See anything differently than me? Anyone I missed that you think will deserve consideration?

Redbird 4th & short
October 24th, 2022, 10:49 AM
My ISUr is slowly showing signs of playoff life. Strong 2nd half against SIU 3 weeks ago after coming out sluggish .. down 5 late, drove to their 12 with 1 min +, but couldn't punch it in. Strong first half again UNI, hung on for tough win on the road. Won and ugly game against USD .. not a good day, but we won. Then this past week against ISUb, we came out very strong dominating the first half .. first downs were 20 to 4, total yards were about 280 to 80, but our kicking game imploded. Then in typical Spack fashion, he put the game on ice 2nd half, and let them back into game. Kicking game left 10 points on field in first 36 minutes of game ... not all on kicker .. or we would have been up 37 - 14 early Q4. Instead, we win 27-21 going prevent.

But the new QB and OC have our offense showing signs of being able to mix it up and move chains. Annexstad was 19-28 for 245 yards by half time .. then Spack shut things down. RS FR RB Wenker Wright got 170 yards rushing on 36 carries. Still struggling with consistency and getting ball in end zone. But this is the best potential we've seen in our pass game in many years.

Head to Fargo to face Bison, who had a bye week ... so we know they will be ready to bounce back from SDSU loss.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/036/665/snapcover.jpg

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2022, 11:06 AM
Come on Professor more Richmond hate?

Admittedly, even the CAA fans don’t have much good to say about them. I see something with them and it’s talent

Chalupa Batman
October 24th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Good stuff PC!

Do you know who gets the autobid in the OVC if SEMO and UT-Martin both win out? UT-Martin is a near lock to be in the field if they win out, but if SEMO is the autobid & the bubble stays tough they might be sweating a little on Selection Sunday because none of their 8 wins will be good.

Of the SoCon teams you mentioned, I think any of the 4 that have at least 7 wins and at least 1 win over the other 3 is in the field. Any of the 4 that have at least 7 wins and 0 wins over the other 3, are in danger of the outside looking in.

I think if Holy Cross beats Fordham than Fordham doesn't get in the field. But if Fordham can beat HC than the HC has a real good shot at an at-large bid.

I don't even want to try and sort out the CAA and MVFC at this point, they are messes! I'm just like you, guess how many teams come out of each conference but punt on trying to name those teams.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Come on Professor more Richmond hate?

Admittedly, even the CAA fans don’t have much good to say about them. I see something with them and it’s talent
Massey agrees with you. I think it's kind of odd he favors them @Delaware so you may be on to something.

jacksfan29!
October 24th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Don't sleep on Idaho vs Sac State. The Vandals are a good football team. Eck has them ready every week.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2022, 12:51 PM
I know this is unlikely, however, it would be awesome if we get an Aggie/Eagle rematch Thanksgiving weekend. We used to play on Thanksgiving way back in the day and this would easily be the highest attended game that weekend.

Mocs123
October 24th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Of the SoCon teams you mentioned, I think any of the 4 that have at least 7 wins and at least 1 win over the other 3 is in the field. Any of the 4 that have at least 7 wins and 0 wins over the other 3, are in danger of the outside looking in.

Currently Samford has a win over Furman and Chattanooga has a win over Mercer.

Chattanooga is at Furman this weekend.

On November 12th. Samford is at Chattanooga and Furman is at Mercer

Mercer is at Samford the last week of the regular season.

It should be fun!

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2022, 01:17 PM
I know this is unlikely, however, it would be awesome if we get an Aggie/Eagle rematch Thanksgiving weekend. We used to play on Thanksgiving way back in the day and this would easily be the highest attended game that weekend.

thanksgiving football is one of the best things ever

I guess in your unlikely scenario, NC Central would be up against the second place SWAC team for a potential at large bid. Maybe geography would come into play to sway the committee

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2022, 01:21 PM
It's not explicitly against the rules for the committee to have a first-round playoff rematch between two teams from separate conferences who met in the regular season but for some reason I'm thinking it's supposed to be "avoided" unless it adds another flight to the travel schedule. With the 400 mile radius for mandatory bus travel and quite a few SOCON and CAA teams likely in the field I'd guess they'll probably be able to avoid a NC A&T/NCCU rematch if they both make it but you never know.

Preferred Walk-On
October 24th, 2022, 01:36 PM
thanksgiving football is one of the best things ever

I guess in your unlikely scenario, NC Central would be up against the second place SWAC team for a potential at large bid. Maybe geography would come into play to sway the committee

Agreed...especially when your team is playing the following weekend. ;)

VandalBasher
October 24th, 2022, 02:43 PM
Don't sleep on Idaho vs Sac State. The Vandals are a good football team. Eck has them ready every week.

The biggest difference from the execution of our team is the 2nd Half.

Last year, if the game would have ended at halftime, Petrino would have had a winning record. Good coaches were able to adjust to the intentions of our staff only to lose the game. Eck et al are doing to other teams what used to be done to us. Vandals!

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2022, 02:53 PM
It's not explicitly against the rules for the committee to have a first-round playoff rematch between two teams from separate conferences who met in the regular season but for some reason I'm thinking it's supposed to be "avoided" unless it adds another flight to the travel schedule. With the 400 mile radius for mandatory bus travel and quite a few SOCON and CAA teams likely in the field I'd guess they'll probably be able to avoid a NC A&T/NCCU rematch if they both make it but you never know.

I was under this impression too but I was told the playoff bylaws doesn't stop non-conference rematches. Both teams gotta win out and submit one great bid for the game, but stranger things have occurred.

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2022, 05:42 PM
Currently Samford has a win over Furman and Chattanooga has a win over Mercer.

Chattanooga is at Furman this weekend.

On November 12th. Samford is at Chattanooga and Furman is at Mercer

Mercer is at Samford the last week of the regular season.

It should be fun!

That's just the SoCon doing SoCon things!!!! Rarely is there ever a team that has it wrapped by week 6. THe games on the last week (Where anyone can ruin anyone's season) mean a heck of alot. This league is always down to the wire!

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2022, 05:59 PM
nm

katss07
October 24th, 2022, 07:05 PM
I think Abilene Christian has a MUCH better chance of ending up in the playoffs than Austin Peay

nevadagriz
October 24th, 2022, 07:53 PM
The biggest difference from the execution of our team is the 2nd Half.

Last year, if the game would have ended at halftime, Petrino would have had a winning record. Good coaches were able to adjust to the intentions of our staff only to lose the game. Eck et al are doing to other teams what used to be done to us. Vandals!

Idaho I think will win the game in sac. Most people on here consider Montana to be terrible and they only lost by 7 in ot to the Hornets in Sac. Idaho has looked very solid and has a great chance to win.

Tribal
October 24th, 2022, 08:30 PM
W&M has to beat Rhody for me to finally take a breath. Hampton *should* be a lock W. Nova and UR are always tough games. Have to beat URI to feel comfortable

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2022, 09:48 PM
I think Abilene Christian has a MUCH better chance of ending up in the playoffs than Austin Peay
Sub-D1 win for ACU so they probably have to get to at least 8 wins meaning they can only drop one more and their next 3 are on the road. I'm not saying APSU has a great chance but ACU seems like a real long-shot right now.

katss07
October 24th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Sub-D1 win for ACU so they probably have to get to at least 8 wins meaning they can only drop one more and their next 3 are on the road. I'm not saying APSU has a great chance but ACU seems like a real long-shot right now.
We’ll learn a lot about ACU this weekend.

Even if they lose to North Dakota, going 3-0 afterwards secures the WAC/ASUN autobid. I’d bet on that scenario.