View Full Version : SoCon 2022 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 9

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2022, 07:46 AM
Saturday, October 29, 2022

Away
Home
Time
What ya thinkin’?

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
1:30P

https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
2P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
2P

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
No changes in the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications, but some definite shake-up in the NOT’s rankings and some ‘test scores’ rec’d in the GOT’s group caused a bit of reordering there while we await the next batch of test scores. Not much more to say about the GOT’s until those scores are registered.

NOT’s - Haven’t been to the WCU board yet. FUBeAR imagines they are crucifying their Savior right about now. Probably should check it out for a laugh before those threads go private or whatever. Also need to watch that Replay to see the 2nd coming of Jack Douglas playing QB for the bellhops. Dang, Woffy movin’ up now during their off week. Before Conklin ‘resigned’ they probably would have found a way to LOSE 2 during their off week. ETSU, despite the record, is still the Top of the NOT’s - just having to live with the karmic principle that it all evens out in the end. The 2022 Team is having to cover all of the Good Luck checks the ETSU Teams before them wrote.

GOT’s
1. Furman (4-1, 6-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to high-ranked FCS))
2. Chattanooga (4-0, 6-1 (#24 in FBS P5 B1G loss))
3. Mercer (4-1, 6-2 (FBS P5 SEC loss, Top 10 FCS loss))
4. Samford (4-0, 6-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. ETSU (1-5, 3-5)
6. Wofford (1-3, 1-6)
7. CIT (2-3, 2-5)
8. WCU (1-4, 3-5)
9. VMI (0-4, 1-6)

Milktruck74
October 23rd, 2022, 08:36 AM
I must say I'm not surprised with your ordering, but I would like an explanation on how the team that you had #3 (maybe even #4) last week, after dismantling your #1 is still locked in at #2 behind a team that lost to your current #4 at home, and allowed #8 to hang 40 on them at home and only eek it out by a TD.... I'm actually more curious to see how you spin it next week after the Mocs take your tin man and the nag behind the woodshed.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2022, 08:48 AM
I must say I'm not surprised with your ordering, but I would like an explanation blah, blah, blahYou’ll get your explanation on Saturday when the next round of the GOT’s test results are revealed.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 09:03 AM
I must say I'm not surprised with your ordering, but I would like an explanation on how the team that you had #3 (maybe even #4) last week, after dismantling your #1 is still locked in at #2 behind a team that lost to your current #4 at home, and allowed #8 to hang 40 on them at home and only eek it out by a TD.... I'm actually more curious to see how you spin it next week after the Mocs take your tin man and the nag behind the woodshed.

It's called dementia.

Mocs123
October 23rd, 2022, 09:20 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Quarrels might be ETSU's Tom Arth? I guess they did score 45 on Samford, which is more than Arth ever did! But a team coming off a good run, ranked high pre-season with high expectations. The fact that Furman fans seemed so happy to get rid of him as OC was a red flag to me.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 09:29 AM
In regard to the Samford game, it appeared to me that Samford almost fell into their old habit pattern of kicking back with a lead. I think their D is better but they seem to be on the edge still in this regard. Is it a depth issue? Conditioning? Sure hope this is the case next week. I'd love my Dogs to run off a few 7 minute drives on them.

The Cats
October 23rd, 2022, 09:35 AM
ETSU at Wofford
Mercer at VMI
Chattanooga at Furman
Samford at The Citadel

Power rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis):

1. (2) Chattanooga (6-1, 4-0 SoCon)
Next: at Furman

2. (3) Samford (6-1, 4-0 SoCon)
Next: at The Citadel

3. (1) Mercer (6-2, 4-1 SoCon)
Next: at VMI

4. (4) Furman (6-2, 4-1 SoCon)
Next: Chattanooga

5. (8) The Citadel (2-5, 2-3 SoCon)
Next: Samford

6. (7) Wofford (1-6, 1-3 SoCon)
Next: ETSU

7. (6) ETSU (3-5, 1-5 SoCon)
Next: at Wofford

8. (5) Western Carolina (3-5, 1-4 SoCon)
Next: Bye

9. (9) VMI (1-6, 0-4 SoCon)
Next: Mercer

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 09:48 AM
ETSU at Wofford
Mercer at VMI
Chattanooga at Furman
Samford at The Citadel

All homes teams underdogs! I love it. Conventional wisdom says you nailed the picks, but I will say one of these is wrong. Not sure which. But one home team will win. In order of likelihood I'd say, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, VMI.

bonarae
October 23rd, 2022, 09:50 AM
ETSU
Mercer
Chattanooga
Samford

The Cats
October 23rd, 2022, 10:22 AM
All homes teams underdogs! I love it. Conventional wisdom says you nailed the picks, but I will say one of these is wrong. Not sure which. But one home team will win. In order of likelihood I'd say, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, VMI.

It was very close on the Samford/Citadel game. I'll assume the Samford defensive staff will learn something from the Western game yesterday, but not positive they can still stop that running game.

SU DOG
October 23rd, 2022, 10:38 AM
In regard to the Samford game, it appeared to me that Samford almost fell into their old habit pattern of kicking back with a lead. I think their D is better but they seem to be on the edge still in this regard. Is it a depth issue? Conditioning? Sure hope this is the case next week. I'd love my Dogs to run off a few 7 minute drives on them.

I can 100% assure you that NEITHER depth nor conditioning is the case. In reference to yesterday's game, Saylors was held to 79 yards on 17 attempts. Our RB, Jay Stanton netted 87 yards on his 17 attempts. Our rushing yardage was 167 to the Bucs' 93. If you want to look for weaknesses, I thought our pass defense was pretty bad. Part of that, however, was Rydell having what some called his best game of the year. I am not overconfident about playing The Citadel there, as that is always a tough task. I do believe though that this Samford Team does NOT carry over some of the traits of those former ones.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 11:45 AM
I can 100% assure you that NEITHER depth nor conditioning is the case. In reference to yesterday's game, Saylors was held to 79 yards on 17 attempts. Our RB, Jay Stanton netted 87 yards on his 17 attempts. Our rushing yardage was 167 to the Bucs' 93. If you want to look for weaknesses, I thought our pass defense was pretty bad. Part of that, however, was Rydell having what some called his best game of the year. I am not overconfident about playing The Citadel there, as that is always a tough task. I do believe though that this Samford Team does NOT carry over some of the traits of those former ones.

Easy win for Samford if we use one of our previous QBs but our new guy is a game changer. He is a serious leader on the field and somewhat of a beast at 225. He exuded confidence and the team followed. He passes fairly well to boot. It was like watching a different team yesterday. He has been injured so I really hope he isn't plagued by injuries in the future.

The Cats
October 23rd, 2022, 12:29 PM
Easy win for Samford if we use one of our previous QBs but our new guy is a game changer. He is a serious leader on the field and somewhat of a beast at 225. He exuded confidence and the team followed. He passes fairly well to boot. It was like watching a different team yesterday. He has been injured so I really hope he isn't plagued by injuries in the future.

Coach Thompson would be crazy not to use Underwood.

He obviously took the WCU defense by total surprise. I hate to see any injuries, but the other two QBs injuries was a blessing in disguise for Thompson's triple option. IMO, No way the Bulldogs could have accomplished yesterday in Cullowhee what they did, without Underwood at QB.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 12:47 PM
Coach Thompson would be crazy not to use Underwood.

He obviously took the WCU defense by total surprise. I hate to see any injuries, but the other two QBs injuries was a blessing in disguise for Thompson's triple option. IMO, No way the Bulldogs could have accomplished yesterday in Cullowhee what they did, without Underwood at QB.

That just about nails it. Good evaluation in my mind.

Underwood apparently was injured in HS so he missed his senior year. Then he was injured again in 2020 as a freshman so he missed the spring. Didn't play last year except on scout team apparently. So it was his first live game since 2018! He was ready and made the most of it.

I think the psychological turning point came in the last two minutes of the first half. Our long drive for a FG then WCU probably making a bad decision to go for it on 4th and 7 in their territory. It was almost an exact replay of our game against Wofford where they scored twice in the last couple minutes of the first half after we made a similarly bad decision and it just pounded us. That two minutes and the first drive of the third quarter was hopefully a turning point for us.

SU DOG
October 23rd, 2022, 03:33 PM

Much credit to Grayson Underwood as he certainly did give The Citadel a huge lift. One thing that I wonder about is since he was so much better than anything we have seen at QB for your team, is why no starts before now? Wouldn't practices have indicated his talent and leadership?

The Cats
October 23rd, 2022, 03:44 PM

Underwood apparently was injured in HS so he missed his senior year. Then he was injured again in 2020 as a freshman so he missed the spring. Didn't play last year except on scout team apparently. So it was his first live game since 2018! He was ready and made the most of it.

I think the psychological turning point came in the last two minutes of the first half. Our long drive for a FG then WCU probably making a bad decision to go for it on 4th and 7 in their territory. It was almost an exact replay of our game against Wofford where they scored twice in the last couple minutes of the first half after we made a similarly bad decision and it just pounded us. That two minutes and the first drive of the third quarter was hopefully a turning point for us.

It was brutal, like watching your kid get beat up, and you can't get to him, to help.

WCU fans are devastated after yesterday's game. It's one thing to have a game you expect to win, and then lose. But it's devastating to have a game you expect to win and are then totally dominated by the other team.

We wish you guys would follow Wofford's lead and can the TO.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 03:44 PM
Much credit to Grayson Underwood as he certainly did give The Citadel a huge lift. One thing that I wonder about is since he was so much better than anything we have seen at QB for your team, is why no starts before now? Wouldn't practices have indicated his talent and leadership?

That is a question certainly. Just hearing things on our board, apparently he was slow recovering, or being real careful and he supposedly finally told the coach, he was healthy and ready. Who knows what else was going on.

MUMD
October 23rd, 2022, 11:06 PM
ETSU at Wofford
Mercer at VMI
Chattanooga at Furman
Samford at The Citadel

1. (2) Chattanooga (6-1, 4-0 SoCon)

2. (3) Samford (6-1, 4-0 SoCon)

3. (1) Mercer (6-2, 4-1 SoCon)

4. (4) Furman (6-2, 4-1 SoCon)

5. (8) The Citadel (2-5, 2-3 SoCon)

6. (7) Wofford (1-6, 1-3 SoCon)

7. (6) ETSU (3-5, 1-5 SoCon)

8. (5) Western Carolina (3-5, 1-4 SoCon)

9. (9) VMI (1-6, 0-4 SoCon)

This is logical for right now except I'd drop Wofford to 8. I think Samford isn't quite as good as their record and ETSU is a little better than theirs. Oh yeah and Mercer stunk it u[p Saturday and is better than that game. Of course will change extensively in the next 3 weeks as the GOTS all beat each other.

gofurman
October 23rd, 2022, 11:59 PM

Oh no... The coaches ALWAYS know best. HA HA HA. What a joke. I hear this all. the. time.. "you think our coaches don't know who is best to put on the field??" - um, sometimes THEY DON'T!! Sad that it takes Two Injuries for a coach to realize he had a superstar at number THREE on the depth chart. It took TWO INJURIES to get to this guy who changed the game for Citadel. Coaches are blind at times. They have bias. They know the game etc but some are not good evaluators of talent and leadership.
Wally Pipp baby ! xnodx .. yeah, there is a little more to Wally Pipp's story but basically he was gone one day as a fixture on the Yankees and Lou Gehrig got his spot and Pipp never got it back. It took Pipp being out to discover the talent that was Lou Gehrig !

gofurman
October 24th, 2022, 12:04 AM

1. Chattanooga (6-1, 4-0 SoCon) - undefeated, beat Mercer

3. Mercer (6-2, 4-1 SoCon) - lost to Chatt

3. Samford (6-1, 4-0 SoCon) - edged Furman

4. Furman (6-2, 4-1 SoCon) - freaky loss to Samford haunts them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. The Citadel (2-5, 2-3 SoCon) - beat ETSU and WCU, two decent teams

6. ETSU (3-5, 1-5 SoCon) - interesting game this week vs Wofford

7. Western Carolina (3-5, 1-4 SoCon) - can usually score points

8. Wofford (1-6, 1-3 SoCon) Has one win over Citadel

9. VMI (1-6, 0-4 SoCon) - win less in Socon

Mocs123
October 24th, 2022, 08:05 AM
Mercer 49 - Beatdown of the Week – The Bears are mad, the Keydets are reeling…..This does bode well for a competitive game. Cronic and his team take out their frustrations this week.
VMI 6

ETSU – 31 – The Mountain Pirates double their SoCon win total this week, going on the road and winning the battle of perhaps the SoCon’s two most under-performing teams.
Wofford - 21

Chattanooga –24 Game of the Week - The Mocs face a tough test for the second week in a row, this time on the road. This could certainly be a let down game this week but I think UTC sends the homecoming crowd home disappointed after a close hard fought game.
Furman- 21

Samford – 27 The battle of the Bulldogs – I really wanted to go with an upset here, and Charleston is a tough place to play, but I think I am going to stick with the Alabama Bulldogs here, but in a close game.
The Citadel -24

Power Rankings
Chattanooga – The Mocs are undefeated and really playing well. A win over a good Mercer team lets them regain the top spot.
Mercer – The Bears are a quality team. They had been riding high on positive turnover margin all year, but their fortunes changed Saturday.
Samford – Everyone knows the a Hatcher coached team can score, but what has impressed me is the play of the Bulldog defense….at least until this past week. I had considered moving them up but concerns over their defense keep them at #3.
Furman – If it wasn’t for “the call” the Paladins might be undefeated in the SoCon right now. This is a good team that is very much still in the playoff mix.

The Citadel - I’m not sure what to make out of The Citadel. They looked like they were at the bottom of the barrel two weeks ago after losing to the Terriers, but then went on the road and beat a descent Western Carolina team. Did they just fall prey to a Terriers team that caught fire in a bottle for the week, or did they find their missing piece had been holding a clipboard on the sidelines? I guess we will find out soon as they have two tough games in a row.
Western Carolina – I’m wondering if WCU is the new Samford – a dangerous team that can put up points and beat anyone when things roll their way, but struggle on defense and always seem to drop a game that leaves you scratching your head.
ETSU – To be fair, I think the Bucs are really better than the #7 team in the SoCon, but you have to put some W’s on the board before I can move you up. The past few years have been a real roller coaster ride for Buc fans – I’d feel sorry for you, except you’re… well.. Buc fans.
Wofford – The Terriers looked like they had packed it in, but showed life last week after Conklin was shown the door. It will be interesting to see how this team, who is not devoid of talent, finishes the season.
VMI – It’s hard to believe this team was ranked earlier in the season as they have been decimated by injuries and are a shell of their former self.

D1 Wins Possible (excluding $$ games)
Chattanooga – 10
Samford – 10
Mercer – 9
Furman – 8
Western Carolina – 6 (OUT)
The Citadel – 5 (OUT)
ETSU – 5 (OUT)
VMI – 5 (OUT)
Wofford -5 (OUT)

SoCon Wins Possible
Chattanooga – 8
Samford – 8
Mercer – 7
Furman – 7
The Citadel – 5
Wofford – 5
VMI – 4
Western Carolina – 4
ETSU - 3

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2022, 08:39 AM

I will que up the The Citadel game just to check out Underwood

Mocs123
October 24th, 2022, 08:42 AM
If The Citadel HC Thompson doesn't start Underwood, the Bulldog faithful might tar and feather him.

ElCid
October 24th, 2022, 09:24 AM
If The Citadel HC Thompson doesn't start Underwood, the Bulldog faithful might tar and feather him.

I just hope it doesn't go to his head and he falls apart with the attention. I don't think it will but I just have a minimal view of him in one game. Hope he is squared away in his head.

Mocs123
October 24th, 2022, 09:39 AM
It was brutal, like watching your kid get beat up, and you can't get to him, to help.

WCU fans are devastated after yesterday's game. It's one thing to have a game you expect to win, and then lose. But it's devastating to have a game you expect to win and are then totally dominated by the other team.

We wish you guys would follow Wofford's lead and can the TO.

I felt that way playing The Citadel the last game of the '21 season. We were vastly superior on paper, we had everything to play for - SoCon Championship- (I think we would have tied with ETSU?), Playoffs. The Citadel really wasn't playing for anything and could have packed it in, but those guys played tough and physical and they just whipped us physically in a way that was really surprising to me. If there is one thing I've learned about The Citadel is that they play hard, even when they don't have a ton of talent.

SU DOG
October 24th, 2022, 10:32 AM
I felt that way playing The Citadel the last game of the '21 season. We were vastly superior on paper, we had everything to play for - SoCon Championship- (I think we would have tied with ETSU?), Playoffs. The Citadel really wasn't playing for anything and could have packed it in, but those guys played tough and physical and they just whipped us physically in a way that was really surprising to me. If there is one thing I've learned about The Citadel is that they play hard, even when they don't have a ton of talent.

Whoa thanks for giving me the jitters this morning 123. That is very close to the same situation my team is in going into at Charleston where you don't want to play these guys. I'm hoping our defense can slow them down enough for us to get the win. We have had some practice against the TO, but it was first game of the season vs KSU. Samford held the Owls to their lowest average yds/carry of any FCS team they have faced up to this point in the season. Idk, but The Citadel with Underwood may be a far better team than KSU. I do believe, however that our new DC knows how to prepare for the TO. Knowing and doing of course are two different things. Not to kick folks when they are down, but I was amazed at the number of missed tackles that I saw the Catamount's defense make Saturday. Samford will not be quite that porous, especially on the perimeter. This should be a slobber knocker of a game.

The Cats
October 24th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Whoa thanks for giving me the jitters this morning 123. That is very close to the same situation my team is in going into at Charleston where you don't want to play these guys. I'm hoping our defense can slow them down enough for us to get the win. We have had some practice against the TO, but it was first game of the season vs KSU. Samford held the Owls to their lowest average yds/carry of any FCS team they have faced up to this point in the season. Idk, but The Citadel with Underwood may be a far better team than KSU. I do believe, however that our new DC knows how to prepare for the TO. Knowing and doing of course are two different things. Not to kick folks when they are down, but I was amazed at the number of missed tackles that I saw the Catamount's defense make Saturday. Samford will not be quite that porous, especially on the perimeter. This should be a slobber knocker of a game.

I think NOT being able to open field tackle is a prerequisite to be on the defensive unit at WCU. Some of the missed tackles just makes your heart sink....

It was also that way under Speir for 8 seasons.

kdinva
October 24th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Some of the missed tackles just makes your heart sink.....

same in Lexington, only about five defenders hit and wrap up. If any of the fine stable of SoCon backs gets into VMI's secondary.....VMI's defense leads the conference in rush yards allowed after first contact.

BearDownMU
October 24th, 2022, 05:23 PM
I've heard this song before. There were lots of other things going on, but our tackling against Chatt was god-awful. I mean, Ford is a helluva player and a lot of it is him just being that good, but it looked like we were doing a lot more "trying to hit" than "trying to get them on the ground". And when you do that (particularly with someone like Ford) you are going to get eaten up. My guess is there will be some "motivation" around tackling at practice in Macon this week.

tallgeorgiagent
October 24th, 2022, 05:28 PM
I've heard this song before. There were lots of other things going on, but our tackling against Chatt was god-awful. I mean, Ford is a helluva player and a lot of it is him just being that good, but it looked like we were doing a lot more "trying to hit" than "trying to get them on the ground". And when you do that (particularly with someone like Ford) you are going to get eaten up. My guess is there will be some "motivation" around tackling at practice in Macon this week.Ford does that to everyone he plays against. He had a 48 yrd run against Kentucky last year which is the longest run Kentucky surrendered all year.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2022, 05:31 PM
That fair, I think you nailed it...Mercer has faced some Good backs that canbe brought down with a good "hit"... Ford is not just good, and he will run right through a hit. HE has to be wrapped up and held until help arrives.

The MerBears will finish the season strong and be a really tough draw for someone in the playoffs, hopefully they will have learned a lesson about finishing the play and win one for the SoCon!!!

ElCid
October 24th, 2022, 05:34 PM
same in Lexington, only about five defenders hit and wrap up. If any of the fine stable of SoCon backs gets into VMI's secondary.....VMI's defense leads the conference in rush yards allowed after first contact.

That's hilarious. I watch the games with my dad. He is over 90. Every time someone tries to arm tackle a runner around the shoulders, he remarks about how the tackling is poor, and that these kids are not being taught how to tackle correctly. Happens every game he watches. You know old people.

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2022, 05:37 PM

It is no secret the key to beating the TO is to win on first down. Getting them behind the chains is what it takes. Go ahead and score a few to gain a lead helps too. The TO offense isnot good at catching up on the score or on the chains. For whatever reason the Mocs couldn't get the penetration in the middle on first down to force Citadel to commit early and often times were looking at 2nd and 4 or 5....Find a beast/terror that will blast into the center and push him back, and you'll be fine....We'd let you borrow DMax, but he will be destroying some Tin Soldiers over in Travler's Rest this Saturday!!!

SU DOG
October 24th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Hopefully our "beast" will be big NT Seth Simmer 6-4, 305. Simmer like Maxwell was also All-State in Georgia in his high school days. The Darthmouth xfer was 2nd team All-SoCon last season. This year he is currently 4th on the Samford Team in tackles and seems to thrive on the new 3-front alignment. He has really good lateral quickness and has drawn the interest of some NFL scouts.

That game you mentioned at Furman is an interesting matchup. I'm thinking though that the Paladins will have trouble stopping the Mocs rushing attack. Come to think about it, however, who wouldn't? LOL!

PaladinNation
October 24th, 2022, 08:54 PM
Hopefully our "beast" will be big NT Seth Simmer 6-4, 305. Simmer like Maxwell was also All-State in Georgia in his high school days. The Darthmouth xfer was 2nd team All-SoCon last season. This year he is currently 4th on the Samford Team in tackles and seems to thrive on the new 3-front alignment. He has really good lateral quickness and has drawn the interest of some NFL scouts.

That game you mentioned at Furman is an interesting matchup. I'm thinking though that the Paladins will have trouble stopping the Mocs rushing attack. Come to think about it, however, who wouldn't? LOL!

Will be interesting to see who's rushing attack shines the most in this matchup.
I think the DINS rushing attack will be as much trouble for the Mocs.
I might be proved wrong on Saturday I just don't see the Mocs rushing attack and offense in general head and shoulders above Furman.

FUGameBreaker
October 24th, 2022, 09:45 PM
FU

gofurman
October 24th, 2022, 11:10 PM
Will be interesting to see who's rushing attack shines the most in this matchup.
I think the DINS rushing attack will be as much trouble for the Mocs.
I might be proved wrong on Saturday I just don't see the Mocs rushing attack and offense in general head and shoulders above Furman.

I don't either team is head and shoulders better than the other. I would be surprised if either team won by more than 10..

FUGameBreaker
October 24th, 2022, 11:59 PM
UTC @ Furman game up for FCS game of the week
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315813-AGS-Game-of-the-Week-Week-9-Fall-2022

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2022, 01:50 AM
FUBeAR is only the messenger. Do not [choose your own verb] the messenger…

https://twitter.com/beta_rank_fb/status/1584541596317470721

Mocs123
October 25th, 2022, 07:33 AM
I imagine Mr. Bowron would have said last year that "...in a game where turnovers are even, or even less unequel. we would still take Chattanooga." :)

The Mocs only got 14 points off of those turnovers, so if you go by that statistic only, we still win by 6 (which is about what I predicted). Of course, admittedly, I imagine the early momentum swing probably imacted the game too. Either way it was a good football game between two good teams.

The "explainer" is blocked from our work network, but I need to read it sometime as this is a really interesting ranking. Holy Cross is ranked #30, while Jackson State is ranked #5. Both have good records, both have a pretty poor SoS, but they're ranked in very different places. While I'm sure I'd complain about Mercer being ranked above us despite the H2H loss, I'd take a 3 seed and would be happy to see another SoCon team get a seed too, though you know as well as I do that two SoCon teams are not getting seeds this year. I do think we can get at least 3 teams in the playoffs, maybe 4, though I do prefer 3 as I think in order for the SoCon to get 4 Furman has to beat the Mocs this weekend.

In addition to the 3 SoCon teams I'd like to see make the playoffs, I'd like to see all three teams do well. We've had a bad habit of less than stellar performances in the playoffs the past couple of years.

SU DOG
October 25th, 2022, 08:54 AM
That Beta Rank is one bizarre list. Tennessee State (3-4) at #14? I guess they got lots of credit for playing Lane College so close in their 28-27 loss. LOL!

ElCid
October 25th, 2022, 09:29 AM
That Beta Rank is one bizarre list. Tennessee State (3-4) at #14? I guess they got lots of credit for playing Lane College so close in their 28-27 loss. LOL!

That's all I needed to see to realize it is a jacked up, probably purposely manipulated program. Go figure.

Mocs123
October 25th, 2022, 09:35 AM
I would say FUBeAR = Rob Bowron except if that were the case Furman would replace Chattanooga at #3.

MUrsus67
October 25th, 2022, 11:26 AM
The Mocs only got 14 points off of those turnovers, so if you go by that statistic only, we still win by 6 (which is about what I predicted).

How do you figure 14? 17 were scored in drives after turnovers and there was a pick 6. Seems more like 24.

MUrsus67
October 25th, 2022, 11:39 AM

Looks like they don't include lower or higher division games in their metrics as they have TSU at 3-2 (Lane and MTSU exempted). What are your thoughts on Tennessee State beating Tennessee Tech by 16, leading by 30 in the 4th quarter while Samford had to come back from 21-10 and taking a 5 point lead with 25 seconds left?

Mocs123
October 25th, 2022, 01:40 PM
How do you figure 14? 17 were scored in drives after turnovers and there was a pick 6. Seems more like 24.

To be fair I thought I saw that on the Box Score, but I must have dreamed that because I can't find it now. I going back and looking at the drive chart, it looks like it was more like 20 points. Two FG, and two TD's. Obviously, the Pick 6 and the first FG were gimmie's for the Mocs after turnovers deep in Mercer territory. The other TD and FG were closer to midfield and we had to put drives together.

I really thought the fumble on the opening kickoff and the pick 6 on the next drive sort of set the tone of the game. Mercer never folded, but every punch they threw, the Mocs answered, which I thought was huge from a phycological standpoint.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2022, 01:49 PM

Kinda Sorta.

the first Fumble which the Mocs got on the Mercer 23 ended up yielding 3 points

There was the pick 6.... so I'll give 10 points off turnovers, but...

There was another interception and fumble that that technically resulted in scores, but those turnovers were on the Mocs side of the 50 and required a 54 yard and a68 yard drive....So, while they did yield points, it isn't like those were scores directly from the turnover...the Mercer D had a shot to stop the O and couldn't.

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2022, 02:13 PM
I really thought the fumble on the opening kickoff and the pick 6 on the next drive sort of set the tone of the game. Mercer never folded, but every punch they threw, the Mocs answered, which I thought was huge from a phycological standpoint.
Outstanding concise description of the game.

Last year - Mercer would have folded as they did against VMI after a near-identical start (wearing identical clothes).

Last year - Chatt wouldn’t have responded to Mercer’s “punches” closing the gap and threatening to ‘steal’ the game. The 2021 Mocs would have found a way to let that one slip away.

Both Teams are much stronger psychologically than they were last year.

FUBeAR does not expect Chatt to suffer a ‘letdown’ performance against the Paladins this week. If Furman wins the game this Saturday, they will have to earn it against a Team that is playing Flawless Football

FUBeAR does not expect Mercer to let Chatt beat them twice this Saturday. FUBeAR expects the Bears will TCB in LexVegas, then rest up a week trying to find a healthy RB or 3, and get ready for what could be an epic Homecoming showdown for the Bears with the Paladins ridin’ high into Maconga.

Mocs123
October 25th, 2022, 02:21 PM
The Bears should have no problems taking care of business in Lexington this week. The past couple of years the Keydets were a really tough, scrappy team - they don't look like that this year. I'm sure part of it is they lost some key pieces to a private school to the east, another part is they have been decimated by injuries, but this Keydets team looks more like the Keydets of yesteryear.

MUrsus67
October 25th, 2022, 02:29 PM

Yes, it was basically playing catchup against a very good team once it was 10-0. Thought there was a chance till the fumble in the 3rd in Chattanooga's territory. A score at that point could have made it 34-28. Kudos to the Mocs for getting the takeaways.

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Kinda Sorta.

the first Fumble which the Mocs got on the Mercer 23 ended up yielding 3 points

There was the pick 6.... so I'll give 10 points off turnovers, but...

There was another interception and fumble that that technically resulted in scores, but those turnovers were on the Mocs side of the 50 and required a 54 yard and a68 yard drive....So, while they did yield points, it isn't like those were scores directly from the turnover...the Mercer D had a shot to stop the O and couldn't.
Prolly not something worth arguing about … but …

FUBeAR doesn’t think that “Points off Turnovers” is an official NCAA Football statistic, so everyone is free to define it how they like - must be on the + side of the 50 / Can only be in the 1st 3 plays after the turnover / doesn’t count at all of the opponent is wearing ALL Orange.

But…it is an official stat in the NBA - so FUBeAR will go with their definition because he’s not creative enough to IMAGINE his own system.

“When a team commits a turnover, the scoring crew records the turnover. On the following opponent possession, if the opponent scores, the scoring system credits that opponent with a point off a turnover.”

So…looking at the drive charts in the box score and applying this methodology, we can readily conclude that Chatt scored 24 points off of 2 INT’s (both TD’s) & 2 Fumbles (1TD & 1 FG).

kdinva
October 25th, 2022, 03:10 PM
The Bears should have no problems taking care of business in Lexington this week. The past couple of years the Keydets were a really tough, scrappy team - they don't look like that this year. I'm sure part of it is they lost some key pieces to a private school to the east, another part is they have been decimated by injuries, but this Keydets team looks more like the Keydets of yesteryear.

once VMI gets healthy, they'll be back (maybe next month? 2023 for sure)

SU DOG
October 25th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Looks like they don't include lower or higher division games in their metrics as they have TSU at 3-2 (Lane and MTSU exempted). What are your thoughts on Tennessee State beating Tennessee Tech by 16, leading by 30 in the 4th quarter while Samford had to come back from 21-10 and taking a 5 point lead with 25 seconds left?

For one I don't think about it much, but since you asked. It has been said that good teams often experience a "what the heck" type of game. But they don't repeat that and go on to have a great season. So far that has been the case here. Just hope it can continue against an always tough one at Charleston.

SU DOG
October 25th, 2022, 04:52 PM
If any SoCon fans on here haven't, then maybe you should go vote for UTC @ Furman for the AGS Game of the Week.

AGS Game of the Week - Week 9, Fall 2022 (anygivensaturday.com) (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315813-AGS-Game-of-the-Week-Week-9-Fall-2022)

SU DOG
October 26th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Michael Hiers, Samford QB has been nationally recognized. Last week he had 45 completions in 51 passes which would be hard to do vs air IMO. That totaled 442 yards and 4 TDs, with NO interceptions. He also rushed for 50 yards and added one more TD. Seems to be following a long line of really good Samford QBs.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-10-25/samfords-michael-hiers-leads-new-look-fcs-quarterback-rankings-week-9

Ready for incoming from a very active poster. LOL!

Milktruck74
October 27th, 2022, 06:12 AM
Prolly not something worth arguing about … but …

FUBeAR doesn’t think that “Points off Turnovers” is an official NCAA Football statistic, so everyone is free to define it how they like - must be on the + side of the 50 / Can only be in the 1st 3 plays after the turnover / doesn’t count at all of the opponent is wearing ALL Orange.

But…it is an official stat in the NBA - so FUBeAR will go with their definition because he’s not creative enough to IMAGINE his own system.

“When a team commits a turnover, the scoring crew records the turnover. On the following opponent possession, if the opponent scores, the scoring system credits that opponent with a point off a turnover.”

So…looking at the drive charts in the box score and applying this methodology, we can readily conclude that Chatt scored 24 points off of 2 INT’s (both TD’s) & 2 Fumbles (1TD & 1 FG).

Sounds Good... NBA shot clock is 24 seconds, so if a team scores in the first 24 seconds (actual time not clock time) after the Turnover it should absolutely count as points off turnover!!!

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Sounds Good... NBA shot clock is 24 seconds, so if a team scores in the first 24 seconds (actual time not clock time) after the Turnover it should absolutely count as points off turnover!!!
Sure. As with wins, SoCon Championships, and National Championships, you’re free to imagine whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

ElCid
October 27th, 2022, 09:05 AM
This isn't rocket science guys. It is fairly straight forward. A team that gets a takeaway, and then scores, gets credited with point off a turnover. Doesn't matter how far they have to go down the field. They took a possession from their opponent, prevented their opponent from scoring, and scored themselves. It's all about a productive possession or not. There are only so many. There were only 15 possessions in our game with WCU (not counting two at end of half/game to take knees). That's not a lot. Even the ETSU/Samford game had 22 possessions (which kind of low for Samford).

In the subject game (AKA-"Mercer can't hold onto the ball Bowl" or "the UTC had their way with Mercer Bowl"), there were 22 as well. Any takeaway leading to points is critical. Looking at the drive chart, which may be screwed up (a lot of that lately) shows UTC getting 24 points off turnovers).

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2022, 09:30 AM
This isn't rocket science guys. It is fairly straight forward. A team that gets a takeaway, and then scores, gets credited with point off a turnover. Doesn't matter how far they have to go down the field. They took a possession from their opponent, prevented their opponent from scoring, and scored themselves. It's all about a productive possession or not. There are only so many. There were only 15 possessions in our game with WCU (not counting two at end of half/game to take knees). That's not a lot. Even the ETSU/Samford game had 22 possessions (which kind of low for Samford).

In the subject game (AKA-"Mercer can't hold onto the ball Bowl" or "the UTC had their way with Mercer Bowl"), there were 22 as well. Any takeaway leading to points is critical. Looking at the drive chart, which may be screwed up (a lot of that lately) shows UTC getting 24 points off turnovers).Could have saved a lot of pixels by just typing…

“I agree 100% with FUBeAR.”

Good words to live by, btw.

FUGameBreaker
October 27th, 2022, 09:36 AM
If any SoCon fans on here haven't, then maybe you should go vote for UTC @ Furman for the AGS Game of the Week.

AGS Game of the Week - Week 9, Fall 2022 (anygivensaturday.com) (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315813-AGS-Game-of-the-Week-Week-9-Fall-2022)

xbowxxthumbsupxxbowx

kdinva
October 27th, 2022, 10:05 AM
ETSU 34; at Wofford 17
Mercer 35; at VMI 19
Chattanooga 27; at Furman 24
Samford 38; at The Citadel 20

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2022, 11:29 AM
FUBeAR’s Picks - Saturday, October 29, 2022

Away
Home
Time
The Correct Answer is…

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
The last time these 2 Teams squared off in the home of the Bears, the Kangaroos hopped on top early and ran away with it 45-7. Mercer wore ALL Orange that day and started almost identically to the only other time they have worn All Orange - last week @ Chattanooga. If Mercer ever wears ALL Orange again, get on the phone to ‘your guy’ right away and bet the farm, and the beach house, on their opponents. So…assuming Mercer is wearing ALL white or contrasting jerseys/pants, FUBeAR thinks they will flush last week @ Chatt AND last year vs. VMI and return to their winning ways, perhaps with dominance. Some of that depends on VMI’s MASH unit though. Unless they get more than a few of their Wounded WarrioRats back in the line-up, FUBeAR sees Mercer working out some kinks by scoring TD’s and auditioning some new (healthy) RB’s to head into the bye week before their 2 season ending Battles of SoCon Titans - vs. Furman & @ Samford.

FINAL SCORE: Mercer 45 - VMI 17

https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
This could be a very interesting game. New Wofford HC (Interim) got them ready to take a game from The (not that bad) Citadel. Now he’s had 3 full weeks to work with this litter of LittlePups. ETSU has already played the 4 GOT’s and was competitive in every one of those games. Shoulda won some of those and woulda won all 4 in prior more karmically-favorable years. These Bucs are a good Football Team with a bad record. The AnkleBiters are a better-than-we-thought-but-still-really-not-very-good Football Team with a record to match. They are at Wofford, but that just means the MountainPirates will be able to laugh at more Boomers in plaid madras trousers. ETSU gets untracked and rolls. Wofford pays the price for the FoothillsFelons prior losses.

FINAL SCORE: ETSU 49 - Wofford 10

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
2P
No one under 18 should be allowed to attend this game. It is going to be a bloody, bloody war that should carry a Hard R rating. R is for “Run the dang ball” and both of these Teams do. And they do it well. Furman runs it a bit better than Chatt and they also both defend it well. Chatt defends the run a little bit better than FU. Both have very heady & talented QB’s who can throw the ball and can run as needed. We could run down each unit and each stat, but the bottom line is that these are 2 evenly matched Teams, that should both be ranked in the FCS Top 10. Turnovers will matter, but those have more random occurrences than we like to admit to ourselves. And, although Coach Wright already started whining at his weekly press conference about the Refs always being way too mean to his poor victimized & innocent Mocs when they play in Paladin Stadium, that kinda BS better fall on newly-deafened SoCon Officials’ ears after their early-season, job-costing debacle there. So we’ll assume fair & balanced officiating and a wash on turnovers. But that leaves 2 things - Special Teams. Chatt’s ST’s performed flawlessly against Mercer, but that is out of character for them - so odds are against a 2nd consecutive flawless performance. Furman has the edge here. And the game is at FU’s Home with FUBeAR serving as an Honorary Captain … So… +3 points for Special Teams edge, +3 points for Home Field Advantage, and +1 for the FUBeAR effect.

Final Score: Furman 24 - Chattanooga 17

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
2P
Oooh, oooh, oooh. This is a good one. FUBeAR wishes he could see it live, but , as noted, he will have other duties & responsibilities to which he must attend. Don’t let him get too close to an empty helmet & jersey while he’s down on the field or Mr. Ford just may become a Yugo after FUBeAR puts a lick or 3 on him. Anyway…back to this REALLY interesting match up in ChuckTown. Coach Thompson found his potential job saver last week. General Underwood (no doubt of the Gaffney Underwood’s) showed a lot of Brandon Rainey and even a little Dom Allen as he was declawing the bombastic Cantamounts up in Cullowhee last week. He’s no Jack Douglas though. FUBeAR knows Jack Douglas. Jack Douglas is a friend of FUBeAR’s. Mr. Underwood, sir, is no Jack Douglas! (better stop the allusions to politics (even 80’s style) on the FCS Forum before Ursus mauls FUBeAR)…Back to the game…really this time…CIT is home. Their beleaguered fans have been waiting for 2 years to see what happened @ WCU last week. They will be there rejuvenated and in full-throated rebel yells (can we still say that…or nah?). Samford did a nice job earlier this season defending Kennesaw’s option attack, but KSU is an inferior non-SoCon Team and that game was at Samford. FUBeAR thinks CIT IS going to effectively let the air out of the ball, deflating the HomewoodHounds hopes to score a lot of points, flattening their chance to win this game, and crushing their hopes for an undefeated SoCon season.

FINAL SCORE: The Citadel 24 - Samford 23

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
No changes in the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications, but some definite shake-up in the NOT’s rankings and some ‘test scores’ rec’d in the GOT’s group caused a bit of reordering there while we await the next batch of test scores. Not much more to say about the GOT’s until those scores are registered.

NOT’s - Haven’t been to the WCU board yet. FUBeAR imagines they are crucifying their Savior right about now. Probably should check it out for a laugh before those threads go private or whatever. Also need to watch that Replay to see the 2nd coming of Jack Douglas playing QB for the bellhops. Dang, Woffy movin’ up now during their off week. Before Conklin ‘resigned’ they probably would have found a way to LOSE 2 during their off week. ETSU, despite the record, is still the Top of the NOT’s - just having to live with the karmic principle that it all evens out in the end. The 2022 Team is having to cover all of the Good Luck checks the ETSU Teams before them wrote.

GOT’s
1. Furman (4-1, 6-2 (#5 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
2. Chattanooga (4-0, 6-1 (#17 in FBS P5 B1G loss))
3. Mercer (4-1, 6-2 (FBS P5 SEC loss, Top 10 FCS loss))
4. Samford (4-0, 6-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. ETSU (1-5, 3-5)
6. Wofford (1-3, 1-6)
7. CIT (2-3, 2-5)
8. WCU (1-4, 3-5)
9. VMI (0-4, 1-6)

SU DOG
October 27th, 2022, 03:24 PM
The second straight week that FUB has predicted a 23-24 loss for Samford. Hope it turns out as accurate as last week's did.

ElCid
October 28th, 2022, 07:32 AM
ETSU 34; at Wofford 17
Mercer 35; at VMI 19
Chattanooga 27; at Furman 24
Samford 38; at The Citadel 20

Ok, but I still don't think all the favorites will win. Also, I think Wofford's and The Citadel's defenses will not give up those points to ETSU and Samford. They could be one or two score games at most.

PaladinNation
October 28th, 2022, 11:34 AM
I was hoping Furman would wear this for Homecoming!!!
Let's go DINS!
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1585996346682753032

FUBeAR
October 28th, 2022, 11:44 AM
I was hoping Furman would wear this for Homecoming!!!
Let's go DINS!
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1585996346682753032Hmmm….let’s see. How did that All Orange combo work out for Mercer last week?

Thursday night vs. NGU was a great time to wear these suits. Homecoming is a time for tradition.

FUBeAR may have to reconsider his Pick.

xsmhx

Milktruck74
October 28th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Hmmm….let’s see. How did that All Orange combo work out for Mercer last week?

Thursday night vs. NGU was a great time to wear these suits. Homecoming is a time for tradition.

FUBeAR may have to reconsider his Pick.

xsmhx

You are currently in last place on the Pick em' contest on the Mocs Board, so what is one more loss really going to hurt? You might as well stick to your guns and OWN that record....just like you are gonna own that 0-2 record against the Mocs in 2022!!!!

PaladinNation
October 29th, 2022, 06:13 AM
Not that it matters much…
I'm pretty sure the players for Furman chose which uniforms to wear.

I like it!
And the effort by the admin around the $5 flash ticket sale for 24 hours.

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 09:29 AM
Power Ranks

1. UTC -- Earned the top spot decisively.
2. Mercer -- Hopefully can hold off Samford and Furman in a couple of weeks.
3. Samford -- Finishes the season with UTC and Mercer in their final 2 games.
4. Furman -- Looking very solid, and up against #1 this week for a possible statement game.
t5. Citadel -- Huge jump in the power rankings for Citadel as their offense has come to life big time!
t5. Wofford -- In the gaggle with Citadel and WCU
t5. WCU
8. ETSU -- Only SoCon win is over VMI
9. VMI

Week 9

Mercer 49, VMI 13 -- Let's get back on track.

ETSU 28, Wofford 31 -- ETSU is just having a tough year, and catching Wofford on a 2-game homestand after their big win is not good timing.

UTC 40, Furman 34 -- Obvious game of the week. Chatty has scored a season high 41 points in each of their last 2 games. I think they come in too hot for Furman to upset.

Samford 35, Citadel 28 -- Big trap game here. We'll see!

FUGameBreaker
October 29th, 2022, 09:47 AM

Currently tied up 19-19

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Currently tied up 19-19

I broke the tie xbeerchugx

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?315813-AGS-Game-of-the-Week-Week-9-Fall-2022

gofurman
October 29th, 2022, 10:10 AM
FUBeAR is only the messenger. Do not [choose your own verb] the messenger…

https://twitter.com/beta_rank_fb/status/1584541596317470721

so... going by this Furman isn't even a top 40 team? wow

FUGameBreaker
October 29th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Vegas says UTC -3

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Vegas says UTC -3

I have Mercer -26 today. We’ll see! Dropping wide open TD’s isn’t helping though.

ElCid
October 29th, 2022, 01:25 PM
And why wasn't that Samford TD reviewed? Looked like a fumble before crossing the goal. Hmm. Don't like we went for it on 4 the and 4. Should have gone for FG. 65 yard drive over 9 minutes with no points. Geez.

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 01:27 PM
And why wasn't that Samford TD reviewed? Looked like a fumble before crossing the goal. Hmm. Don't like we went for it on 4 the and 4. Should have gone for FG. 65 yard drive over 9 minutes with no points. Geez.

I really wish all SoCon teams had fixed HD cameras on angles like the goal lines. Cameras are so cheap nowadays, it seems like a drop in the bucket for a D1 football budget.

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Mercer and Samford win convincingly.

ETSU has pulled ahead late, 41-34. 6:00 left and Wofford driving.

chatty down 24-21 to Furman with 13:00 left in the game!

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Wofford with a TD on 4th and 15! xhurrayx

tie game with under 3 minutes left.

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 04:13 PM
Final scores:

Mercer 55, VMI 14

ETSU 41, Wofford 48

Samford 38, Citadel 3

UTC 20, Furman 24

Mocs123
October 29th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Congrats to Furman and FUBeAR on a gutsy physical win in Greenville. The Mocs had chances but didn't make the most of them. Championship teams find a way to win even when things aren't going their way and we didn't find a way to win. I'd comment on the terrible officiating but FUBeAR and Furman already know all about the SoCons pathetic officiating.

Congrats to Samford for taking sole possession of the SoCon lead. The Bulldogs will have a huge test the last two games of the year against Chattanooga and Mercer.

And congrats to Wofford for showing some life post Conklin and getting their second win in a row.

FUGameBreaker
October 29th, 2022, 04:32 PM
Congrats to Furman and FUBeAR on a gutsy physical win in Greenville. The Mocs had chances but didn't make the most of them. Championship teams find a way to win even when things aren't going their way and we didn't find a way to win. I'd comment on the terrible officiating but FUBeAR and Furman already know all about the SoCons pathetic officiating.

Congrats to Samford for taking sole possession of the SoCon lead. The Bulldogs will have a huge test the last two games of the year against Chattanooga and Mercer.

And congrats to Wofford for showing some life post Conklin and getting their second win in a row.

Please beat Samford on Nov. 12th xthumbsupx

Mocs123
October 29th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Please beat Samford on Nov. 12th xthumbsupx

We'll do our best but we have to go take care of the original SoCon Bulldogs first. Charleston is not an easy place to play. Not sure if Ford will be back for that one or not.

OrangeAndBlack
October 29th, 2022, 05:04 PM
The all FUBear bowl in 2 weeks will be quite a day for the SoCon! Both teams have a bye week to prepare! FUBear gets a much needed nap in week 10.

kdinva
October 29th, 2022, 07:06 PM
VMI an absolute no-show today, mercer took advantage, even overcame five turnovers.

SU DOG
October 29th, 2022, 11:08 PM
I am biased I will admit, BUT I firmly believe that the SoCon has 4 teams that would be a nightmare for most teams across this land to face. Furman proved today that they should be ranked far higher than they have been. UTC made it a close one until the end even without their most productive offensive weapon. Mercer took care of business, and of course I am proud of my Samford Bulldogs for their performance. The Samford QB threw 35 passes completed 30 of them (85.7% completion) for 3 TDs and NO interceptions. Our passing game was complimented with a good running game and stellar defense.

Now I haven't closely watched the Big Sky, CAA, Missouri Valley, and other FCS conferences, but from the little amount of time that I have watched, I am convinced that these 4 teams would compete really well against most of those teams. I hope I am proven right in the postseason.

PaladinNation
October 30th, 2022, 05:04 AM
I couldn't agree more SU DOG.
I have watched a good bit of Big Sky ball this season. My Dad grew up in Montana, and I've always had an interest in the Griz.
I believe Samford, Mercer, and Nooga would compete very well against the teams I've watched.

With the loss of App and GSU, many have said the SoCon isn't as talented as a league.
I feel SoCon recruiting is getting better. The top four teams have transfer quarterbacks.

Preston Hutchinson UTC/EMU
Michael Hiers Samford/MissCC/MurraySt
Fred Payton Mercer/Coastal
Tyler Huff Furman/PC
The QB play this season in the SoCon is stellar.

Back to the DINS:
Furman still continues to be its own worst enemy.
Furman played far from perfect Saturday.
Three turnovers.
A botched hold for an easy FG.
A shanked punt.
Way too many penalties.

Hendrix's goals since becoming the HC at Furman was to build depth, become more athletic on both sides of the line, more playmakers, and a deep corps of running backs. In the second half with Roberto out and Furman's number 3 (Myion Hicks out) Furman ran Abrams (#2) and redshirt freshman Grant Robinson (#4). Against the vaunted Mocs front seven our backups showed up.

When Furman plays as a heavy underdog, most people considered Furman's chances to beat the Mocs slim, and of course Furman would get an a$$ kickin by Clemson. Furman seems to play with a chip on its shoulder, more edgy than a typical Furman team.

Furman's not so hidden secret:
Furman's starting five offensive line is vastly underrated. Coming into the season the plan was to rotate offensive lines similar to the way Furman rotates its defensive line. Furman has played the 2022 season with only seven offensive linemen. Two players expected to get a lot of playing time suffered season ending injuries early in camp. Two incoming offensive line recruits decided not to show up on reporting day. That's a loss of four scholarship players on the offensive line.

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 10:35 AM
The all FUBear bowl in 2 weeks will be quite a day for the SoCon! Both teams have a bye week to prepare! FUBear gets a much needed nap in week 10.
https://townsquare.media/site/691/files/2018/04/sleeping-bear-dunes.jpg

Reign of Terrier
October 30th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Wofford with another win. We play much better under Watson. I think we should be favored against VMI, toss up against Western, and Furman will be favored against us, but it'll be our super bowl.

If we find a way to win 5 straight games, Watson may have played himself into the conversation to remove the interim tag.

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 10:43 AM
I am biased I will admit, BUT I firmly believe that the SoCon has 4 teams that would be a nightmare for most teams across this land to face. Furman proved today that they should be ranked far higher than they have been. UTC made it a close one until the end even without their most productive offensive weapon. Mercer took care of business, and of course I am proud of my Samford Bulldogs for their performance. The Samford QB threw 35 passes completed 30 of them (85.7% completion) for 3 TDs and NO interceptions. Our passing game was complimented with a good running game and stellar defense.

Now I haven't closely watched the Big Sky, CAA, Missouri Valley, and other FCS conferences, but from the little amount of time that I have watched, I am convinced that these 4 teams would compete really well against most of those teams. I hope I am proven right in the postseason.
Yep

If Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga, and Samford are not ALL in the Playoffs - because they each only lost to one another and to a highly ranked FBS P5 SEC, ACC, or B1G Team - then each member of the FCS Playoff Selection Committee should be publicly hanged, drawn, and quartered for their high treason to the game of Football.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ptrRXz_5f0o/maxresdefault.jpg

Mocs123
October 30th, 2022, 11:07 AM
8 - D1 wins gets you in. It's not a guarantee (as the 2013 Mocs team can attest to), but for the most part you win 8 D1 games, you're in. If somehow, Chattanooga, Furman, Mercer, and Samford all have 8 D1 wins, they all go to the playoffs.

Samford can pretty much punch their ticket this week with a win over VMI. That may be good for them as the next two games will be tough @Chattanooga and vs. Mercer.

Mercer is off this week, so they have to win one of their next two games to get in. They have a tough final two games though with Furman coming to Macon and playing @Samford.

Chattanooga needs to win two out of their next three. They are @The Citadel vs. Samford, and @Western Carolina.

Furman may actually have the hardest shot, although with them being off this week, they just have to win two more. They have to play @Mercer in the FUBeAR Bowl and host Wofford. The non D1 game OOC might come back to haunt them as it did WCU in 2014.

Mocs123
October 30th, 2022, 11:20 AM
So I think for four SoCon teams to get to 8 wins......

Chattanooga has to beat two out of the next three: The Citadel, Western Carolina, and Samford (assuming Samford beats VMI - if Samford loses to VMI, they must beat the Mocs)

Furman has to beat Mercer and Wofford.

Mercer has to lose to Furman and beat Samford.

Samford has to lose to Mercer and beat either VMI or Chattanooga.

Not that any of those schools are pulling for that scenario except Furman and Chattanooga - as they are the only ones that don't have to drop a game in that scenario.

If the above scenario plays out (which isn't a given as the Mocs would have to beat The Citadel and WCU and Furman has to beat Wofford) if Chattanooga were to beat Samford, The Mocs and Palidins would share the SoCon title and the 'Dins get the autobid. If Samford beats the Mocs, the Bulldogs and the Palidins would share the SoCon title with Samford getting the autobid.

Lots of other ways for it to play out, but in all of those only 3 SoCon teams have 8 D1 wins and would be on the bubble for the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
October 30th, 2022, 01:03 PM
Worth mentioning the years where 8 D1 wins don't get you in the playoffs are the years where most teams play 12 games.

FUGameBreaker
October 30th, 2022, 01:44 PM
The whole 8 FCS wins thing is total garbage, DII teams with scholarship players can be much tougher than many of these sorry non scholarship FCS teams, the whole system is flawed if that's the criteria

FUGameBreaker
October 30th, 2022, 01:46 PM
"D2 football teams get 36 athletic scholarships"

Should count just as much as a non-scholarship FCS win

Mocs123
October 30th, 2022, 01:57 PM
"D2 football teams get 36 athletic scholarships"

Should count just as much as a non-scholarship FCS win

I don't disagree with you - I'm sure North Greenville would beat Presbyterian into the ground, or probably most of the Pioneer, but it DOES seem to be a thing with the selection committee.

gofurman
October 30th, 2022, 03:29 PM
I don't disagree with you - I'm sure North Greenville would beat Presbyterian into the ground, or probably most of the Pioneer, but it DOES seem to be a thing with the selection committee.

Agree, I think 1) its garbage and 2) no matter what I think IT IS a thing with the committee. Hopefully Furman can get in even if they lose to Mercer - they would be 8-3 (can drop Clemson and NGU) and so that is 7-2 in FCS with a win over number 7(!) Chattanooga - who just WAXED Mercer. I mean really. I think Furman should be in now as long as they beat Wofford

*Side note - Wofford is beginning to scare me as 1) they had lost 17 in a row w Conklin.. 2) now have won 2 in a row with new HC 3) have obviously not mailed it in and Furman would be their Super Bowl - which is always such a danger... Nothing WOfford would love more than to prevent Furman from the playoffs after all the Wofford kids have been through the last 2 years. They might be all jacked up for that game.

Mocs123
October 30th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Yep, no easy days in the SoCon, save for perhaps VMI this year, who is on QB#15 by now. We have The Citadel and WCU, both can be dangerous.

ElCid
October 30th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Yep, no easy days in the SoCon, save for perhaps VMI this year, who is on QB#15 by now. We have The Citadel and WCU, both can be dangerous.

I think our coach blew it again. Samford was a tall order no doubt, but the air seemed deflate a bit when we went for it on 4th down around their 10 on the opening drive...and didn't make it. We had a 9 minute drive to open the game and came up empty on the scoreboard. He should have kicked the FG. Samford was in hyper hurry up mode as well and that was a bit stressful after a while on our D. They obvious saw that weakness from our game with Campbell who also did it. The only bright spots we had were a 56 yard FG (school record), so its nice to know he can do it, and we had a surprising show from one of our backs, Crawford, late in the game. He was hard to stop. May be a starter next game. Our QB was switched out in the 4th, but I think that was to keep our #2 in practice rather than any reflection on Underwood. Should be a good game next Saturday, but I see some revenge for last year on the horizon.

Mocs123
October 30th, 2022, 05:41 PM
The Citadel always play tough, as the Mocs saw last year when we were playing for a share of the SoCon Title and the Bulldogs were just playing for pride. I hope you don't figure it out this week!

walliver
October 30th, 2022, 07:13 PM
I think our coach blew it again. Samford was a tall order no doubt, but the air seemed deflate a bit when we went for it on 4th down around their 10 on the opening drive...and didn't make it. We had a 9 minute drive to open the game and came up empty on the scoreboard. He should have kicked the FG. Samford was in hyper hurry up mode as well and that was a bit stressful after a while on our D. They obvious saw that weakness from our game with Campbell who also did it. The only bright spots we had were a 56 yard FG (school record), so its nice to know he can do it, and we had a surprising show from one of our backs, Crawford, late in the game. He was hard to stop. May be a starter next game. Our QB was switched out in the 4th, but I think that was to keep our #2 in practice rather than any reflection on Underwood. Should be a good game next Saturday, but I see some revenge for last year on the horizon.

As much as I love the triple option (my earliest fan experiences are watching Wofford run the wishbone in 1969), it is obvious that the NCAA is doing all they can to stop the triple option.

hopefully, if El Cid makes a change, they will go with a hybrid option like Wofford ran prior to he-whose-name-will-not-be-mentioned. I wouldn’t mind Wofford going back to that offense, but with our current offense putting up Samford type passing numbers, I don’t see that happening.

bonarae
October 30th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Where are the Week 10 schedule and picks? xchinscratchx

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 07:35 PM
Where are the Week 10 schedule and picks? xchinscratchx
https://townsquare.media/site/691/files/2018/04/sleeping-bear-dunes.jpg

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 09:45 PM
Furman will be favored against us, but it'll be our super bowl.You don’t want this smoke…

https://i.postimg.cc/MTSnJ0S3/1343-CA35-B011-4684-8770-2-FE431582347.jpg