PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 9 (10/27) Predictions

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Things are getting serious as the last weekend in October beckons. Here's my take:

New Hampshire 42 Rhode Island 24 - Game's a little closer than some might think, but UNH should pull away enough to win convincingly. New Hampshire is coming off of a big, huge, gigantic butt-whopping of Hofstra, and now they come back home for perenially bad Rhode Island. And URI is not that good, especially not on the road. But the option offense can present problems and I'm not sold on UNH's defense quite yet. I think UNH jumps out early, let's URI inch back a little bit, and then puts them away late. But UNH looks good for an 8-3 finish, assuming they lose only to UMass.

James Madison 31 Richmond 30 - Interesting game to say the least. Richmond looked great until that weird stumble to Towson a few weeks back. JMU has moved along nicely, although with wins on the road against Northeastern and URI that, while wins, seem to indicate that JMU might have trouble against good running attacks. Welcome Mr. Hightower. Richmond came into JMU two years ago and pretty much ended the Dukes season. JMU returned the favor by going to Richmond and putting a dying team out of their misery. Both have an FBS loss and the Spiders have that loss to Towson, so this game means a lot. Towson's defense is deceptively not that bad, so the fact that they shut down Richmond's attack isn't altogether surprising. But even though I think Richmond will run for a lot of yards in this game, I think they have trouble scoring TD's instead of FG's once they get close, and Landers and, well, just Landers really, should be able to put together enough points to win a very closely played game.

Delaware 35 Navy 34 - Warning, homer pick about to follow. I'm going with the mild upset here, basically because I'm a fan and I'm allowed to. Navy's offense is good, real good, and the starting QB should be back after getting knocked out of the Wake game. But Navy's defense is bad, real bad. The Hens have all the tools they need to score points, and UD hasn't been held below 27 points all year, and that was just once. Skinner from Wake threw all over Navy and Navy can be run on, which means big days are needed from Flacco and Cuff. Delaware's defense, while still suspect against a good passing attack, is pretty good against the run, and even better against option run teams. They won't stop Navy (I think still the top FBS rushing offense in the nation) but they can slow it down and hopefully create turnovers. The all-time series is dead even, I think, and most games are very competitive. Look for this one to be close the whole time.

UMass 42 William and Mary 41 - UMass has sleptwalked all year, keeping games close that never should be close and just never looking impressive. Their best looking game so far was the loss to Boston College. Coen's getting real limpy out there with that bad knee and you have to wonder how that's affecting things. And UMass has been weird this year as they let teams stay in almost every game. It almost cost them against an overrated nova team playing a freshman QB, and it might almost cost them against a Tribe team that is Jake Phillips and that's about it. UMass goes up 42-14 in this game and I think they let W&M come almost all the way back.

Northeastern 35 Maine 0 - Yup, a shutout in Parsons. Maine has officially called off the season and I don't expect them to put up any effort in an absolutely dead environment to a Northeastern team that is the exact opposite in terms of demeanor. Northeastern will run Maine ragged in this game and Murray should have over 200 yards. Just bleak times in Black Bear country, but hopefully for the few diehards left this might be the deathknell of the Cosgrove era.

Hofstra 30 villanova 10 - Yeah, I know Hofstra got taken behind the wood shed and massacred by UNH last week, and I know the last time nova was on the field they should've beaten mighty UMass in Amherst, but there's more going on than that. Cohen's a pretty good coach, and I see him having his team ready to play this weekend after that disaster. Plus, they can play pretty good defense. nova got lucky two weeks ago - UMass let Dickens run all over them while they protected a true freshman QB playing his first game. Hofstra won't let that happen, and they'll force Whitney to beat them, and I don't think he's up to it, at least not yet. Hofstra recovers their footing and goes to the Main Line and suffocates a nova offense that just isn't that good without Young back there.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Things are getting serious as the last weekend in October beckons. Here's my take:

New Hampshire 42 Rhode Island 24
James Madison 24 Richmond 30
Delaware 24 Navy 34
UMass 42 William and Mary 17
Northeastern 35 Maine 17
Hofstra 14 Villanova 21

What's with all the one-point victories?

I predict JMU and Hofstra officially fall out of the playoff race this weekend. And Maine sucks, but not THAT bad....geez....

And Navy is MY homer pick. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D :D :D :D They beat Pitt, they can beat Delaware. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
2-3 last week and I don't want to have to pick the Hen game this week.. :(

New Hampshire 45 - Rhode Island 10

James Madison 27 - Richmond 14

Navy 35 - Delaware 24

UMass 35 - William and Mary 24

Northeastern 24 - Maine 10

Hofstra 31 - villanova 27

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
They beat Pitt, they can beat Delaware. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
Our Pitt QB is better than their Pitt QB. xnodx :D

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Our Pitt QB is better than their Pitt QB. xnodx :D

Yeah, but yours won't be defending the free world in a couple of years....

blukeys
October 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
I believe 89 was referring to the Pitt QB who plays for Pitt.

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Coen is probably not playing this week for UMass

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM

Guess it's a good thing they're playing a patsie like Bill & Hillary then. xnodx xnodx xnodx

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
UNH 49, URI 21
NU 27, Maine 3

These are the only two locks I see.

Villanova 14, Hofstra 13 (I don't think Hofstra is very good, and I don't trust their QB to win this game for them...Nova's season is on the line, too)
James Madison 27, Richmond 21 (I'm not THAT impressed with JMU, as they need something more than Landers to win a game against a quality opponent, which they haven't really played since UNH. That said, Richmond is banged up, JMU is at home and I'm not sold on Richmond, either...)
Navy 38, Delaware 24 (I was not impressed with Delaware in their trip to UNH, and I expect Navy to hold for homefield. I think it will 31-24, and Navy will drive the length of the field and put it away late...Delaware starts sweatin')
UMass 24, W&M 17 (With Coen out, this game is really a toss up...I would like any team here with a good enough defense to stop a backup QB, but I don't think W&M has it..that said, a UMass loss here should have them very concerned...)

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
This is the week of CAA upsets that shakes up the league and the polls.

James Madison 45, Richmond 44. This game goes according to form, but just barely. I think JMU is a top 4 team nationally. Richmond is obviously tough (just ask UNH), but JMU is tougher in the clutch-especially in front of its home fans.

Delaware 42, Navy 30. Upset Pick #1. Delaware wasn't ready on the road vs UNH. They will be ready this week in Annapolis. They are on the bubble and a FBS victory goes a long way towards sealing a playoff spot for the Hens. Navy will score, but can't stop Cuff, Flacco, & company enough times to win.

William & Mary 24, UMASS 21. Upset Pick #2. UMASS is due for a let down vs a potentially explosive W&M club that is pretty much under the radar in the top heavy CAA. Heat in Virginia may have a role to play late in the game, ...

Villanova 24, Hofstra 23. Upset pick #3. Hofstra got exposed and is still reeling. 'Nova needs the win. Hofstra can still recover and make a case for the playoffs even with 2 losses. Pride loses a tough one on the road, but will rebound to go into UMASS on Nov 17 at 8-2.

UMAINE 14 , Northeastern 13. Upset pick #4 (sort of). Cosgrove's teams are tough and, even though they are down right now, they still have pride. UMAINE's defense always shows up and does so this weekend down in Brookline in front of a Parsons Field crowd of approximately 95 fans, helping the Black Bears to this mini-upset.

New Hampshire 49 , Rhode Island 24. Just can't in any way fathom or imagine an upset here. UNH is at home, UNH is still on the playoff bubble, URI simply cannot win a shootout running the option offense. Rams will score, but the Legend of Santos certifies a UNH victory. This isn't 1977, ....

Towson kicks back and prepares aerial attack for Maine on Nov 4, ....

PurpleandGold
October 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

I predict JMU and Hofstra officially fall out of the playoff race this weekend. And Maine sucks, but not THAT bad....geez....

And Navy is MY homer pick. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :D :D :D :D They beat Pitt, they can beat Delaware. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

How could two 2-loss teams in the CAA be out of the playoff race? Especially JMU with wins over UNH and Nova already and one loss to an FBS. They could still win out. Do you really think a 9-2 CAA team misses the playoffs? I don't.

andy7171
October 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Towson 6 BYE 24

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
How could two 2-loss teams in the CAA be out of the playoff race? Especially JMU with wins over UNH and Nova already and one loss to an FBS. They could still win out. Do you really think a 9-2 CAA team misses the playoffs? I don't.
I think a 9-2 Hofstra could if the second loss is to Mass.. The rest of the schedule is very unimpressive

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
JMU 31 Richmond 21.. both teams have good running games, but I'll take Landers over Ward.

Hofstra 24 Villanova 17.. HU will force the Fr QB beat to beat them.. I don't expect Whitney to be up to the task.

N'eastern 34 Maine 17.. Maine looks like they are ready to pack it in.

UNH 38 URI 10.. UNH seems to be getting better each week.

Navy 38 Delaware 27.. UD will need to create multiple Navy turnovers to win this one. I don't think they can get enough.

W&M 27 UMass 24.. W&M has a good offense and they can be tough at home, without Coen, UMass may be vulnerable.

Maroon&White
October 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM

According to who?

th0m
October 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Guess it's a good thing they're playing a patsie like Bill & Hillary then. xnodx xnodx xnodx

I don't even have to look at Montana's schedule to know that they play a patsie every week. Seriously, are you going to say anything constructive in this thread or are you just gonna troll some more?

My picks:

JMU
Hofstra
Northeastern
UNH
Navy
UMass

Madisonian
October 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
My prediction is as follows:
Bulldog with bling chews the tick off its belly
Lions (their just higher on the animal kindom hierachy), although technically a lion is a wildcat.
Coldweather Puppies (nipped at every teams' heals and deserve the win)
Party kittens too much for the Dodge pickups (I look for a high scoring game from both sides)
But, I'm going with the cobalt chickens and the upset over the water goats
Minute Men stave off the savages, but much closer than you might think.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
It's looking to be a real wet weekend in the Northeast. From as far South as Williamsburg and Harrisonburg all the way up to Maine, wet weather is a plenty to go around. Should make things interesting.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
if its raining heavy in NH this weekend i wouldnt be surprised to see Toman start, since the gtame plan would probbaly include a lot of QB draws and with Santos there not gonna wanna risk him running alot until they feel certain his shoulder is 100% or its an important game such as UMass.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
At this point the rain isn't supposed to come until Saturday night in Durham. IMO Rick will start either way.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I don't even have to look at Montana's schedule to know that they play a patsie every week. Seriously, are you going to say anything constructive in this thread or are you just gonna troll some more?

My picks:

JMU
Hofstra
Northeastern
UNH
Navy
UMass

My goal in life is to irritate thin-skinned pr*cks. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Mission accomplished. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

blur2005
October 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
New Hampshire 52 Rhode Island 20 - UNH is going to kill the Rams.
James Madison 34 Richmond 17 - I don't think this game will be as close as people think and I'm not saying this because I'm a JMU fan, I'm saying this because JMU just got a week off and a chance to heal up some. They're also at home and Landers is just too good.
Delaware 42 Navy 44 - a shootout on the ground, where Cuff goes for 200 and four scores, only to see the Blue Hen D give up 350 yards on the ground to the Midshipmen.
UMass 21 William and Mary 24 - Here's my upset this week, with UMass lacking Coen at QB, Jake Phillips drives the field in the closing minutes to get a field goal to win.
Northeastern 24 Maine 7 - Northeastern has played too well lately against some good teams to not get a W against the dying Black Bears at home.
Hofstra 28 Villanova 27 - Hofstra's m.o. continues, as they squeak one out against the Wildcats.

th0m
October 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM

xrolleyesx

Nebuta
October 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
UNH beats RI - No brainer there. RI cant put up points.
JMU beats Richmond - Hightower isnt going to have a great day against JMU's defense and with Richmond banged up its not helping any.
Navy wins a squeaker against UD - Omar Cuff may get his 30th TD of the season this game, unforunately he doesnt play defense. UD run defense maybe pretty good but not enough to hold Navy off the boards.
Northeastern beats Maine - Maine has already packed it up for the season.
Nova over Hofstra - Hofstra continues to lose as they play their 2nd real team of the season.
UMass wins in OT over W&M - UMass without Coen = close game.

Grizalltheway
October 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

My picks:

JMU
Hofstra
Northeastern
UNH
Navy
UMass

Yeah, well Germany owns Holland. xwhistlex :D

KAUMASS
October 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Anybody want to change their picks for the UMass-WM game? Coen will play on Saturday.xthumbsupx
Here is the link..

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/umstory.cfm?id_no=63798&CSAuthResp=1193183770141524%3AusqiE%2FjN4A%2B27A%3 D%3D%3ACSUserId%7CCSGroupId%3Asuccess%3ADpAk0qskTh g1icsS9Dp31Q%3D%3D&CSUserId=41303&CSGroupId=2

saint0917
October 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
James Madison 33 Richmond 20

Villanova- 27 Hofstra- 24

Northeastern-34 Maine- 16

UNH- 38 URI- 10

Delaware- 30 Navy- 27

Umass- 21 William & Mary- 20

Madisonian
October 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM

Mission accomplished? That sounds painful. You really ought to encourage your life partner to lube that thing up. xsmiley_wix

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
New Hampshire in a romp over Rhody.
Delaware squeaks by Navy.
UMASS by 10 over Bill & Mary.
NE....say 30 over Maine.
My upset special....Nova by 3 over Hofstra.

Of course..the game I will be at.....

JMU over Spiders..........by 17 ....minimum....

Go Dukes

JmuSkinsfan
October 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
This week's JMU vs. UR game is a tough call, as many have indicated. But I have a hard time thinking JMU loses, and I agree with JMU-MRD-DAD in that this one won't be close on the scoreboard. Maybe UR hangs around into the 2nd half, but JMU doesn't lose at home (exception being UR on HC two years ago)....but this JMU team is a lot diff.

I think it will be far too loud, and the crowd will be a factor. JMU almost never loses at home! And that loss two years ago to UR was a result of a few bad turnovers. This JMU team shouldn't let things slip like that....

JMU 41, UR 20

W&M 30, UMass 27 (OT)

Villanova 31, Hofstra 24

UNH 56, URI 28

Navy 37, UD 24

NU 21, Maine 17

Funny, home teams across the board for the wins.

Villanova continues to show that the JMU loss was somewhat of a fluke loss.
UNH passes all over URI, though URI puts up some rush yards and points on that UNH defense.
William and Mary upsets a sluggish looking UMass team in Williamsburg.
JMU uses the bye week to get healthy and surprise some people by handily beating UR in Harrisonburg on homecoming.
Northeastern hangs tough at home over Maine in what could be a mud bowl.
Delaware fairs well at Navy, but the midshipmen's rush attack is too much for them to handle.

Spider
October 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
SPIDAHS OVER THE DUKES xthumbsupx

DTSpider
October 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
The only game I care about is the UR-JMU game. I think it'll be decided in the first quarter. UR has started really slow the last few weeks and can't afford to fall behind JMU. UR will have to make some plays on special teams to overcome the bye week healing JMU has enjoyed. These games are always close.

JmuSkinsfan
October 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
The only game I care about is the UR-JMU game. I think it'll be decided in the first quarter. UR has started really slow the last few weeks and can't afford to fall behind JMU. UR will have to make some plays on special teams to overcome the bye week healing JMU has enjoyed. These games are always close.

You may be right. Although, I have a feeling that if ANYTHING is decided in the first quarter, it would be a JMU domination to put UR out of it early. I absolutely can not see JMU falling out of the game in the first quarter (or have it decided that UR beats JMU in the first quarter).

As I said in my prediction, if JMU doesn't blow UR out of the water in the first half, they'll pull away in the 3rd quarter and early 4th to make a relatively close game look like a blowout on the scoreboard. JMU 41 UR 20

TigerFan17
October 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Towson 6 BYE 24

3 safeties?

xlolx ........:(

Longhorn
October 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
UNH 49, URI 21
NU 27, Maine 3

These are the only two locks I see.

Villanova 14, Hofstra 13 (I don't think Hofstra is very good, and I don't trust their QB to win this game for them...Nova's season is on the line, too)
James Madison 27, Richmond 21 (I'm not THAT impressed with JMU, as they need something more than Landers to win a game against a quality opponent, which they haven't really played since UNH. That said, Richmond is banged up, JMU is at home and I'm not sold on Richmond, either...)
Navy 38, Delaware 24 (I was not impressed with Delaware in their trip to UNH, and I expect Navy to hold for homefield. I think it will 31-24, and Navy will drive the length of the field and put it away late...Delaware starts sweatin')
UMass 24, W&M 17 (With Coen out, this game is really a toss up...I would like any team here with a good enough defense to stop a backup QB, but I don't think W&M has it..that said, a UMass loss here should have them very concerned...)

Interesting...you're not "impressed" or "sold" on either of the two CAA teams that have beaten UNH, nor the team you did beat. I guess "familiarity" does breed contempt. xlolx

Old Cage
October 23rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
"W&M 31, UMass 27 (OT)" is a prediction above.

There is ZERO.ZERO chance that an overtime game will end with that score.

JmuSkinsfan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
"W&M 31, UMass 27 (OT)" is a prediction above.

There is ZERO.ZERO chance that an overtime game will end with that score.

You are right. I will change it to 30 - 27...forgot about the XP not being factored in.

jmufootball2
October 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
ACtually there is a chance, if W&M scored first in OT, and during XP try it gets blocked, taken to the house, the score is 31-27. If Umass would fail to score on their posession, teh final would be 31-27.

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
This week's JMU vs. UR game is a tough call, as many have indicated. But I have a hard time thinking JMU loses, and I agree with JMU-MRD-DAD in that this one won't be close on the scoreboard. Maybe UR hangs around into the 2nd half, but JMU doesn't lose at home (exception being UR on HC two years ago)....but this JMU team is a lot diff.

I think it will be far too loud, and the crowd will be a factor. JMU almost never loses at home! And that loss two years ago to UR was a result of a few bad turnovers. This JMU team shouldn't let things slip like that....

JMU 41, UR 20

W&M 30, UMass 27 (OT)

Villanova 31, Hofstra 24

UNH 56, URI 28

Navy 37, UD 24

NU 21, Maine 17

Funny, home teams across the board for the wins.

Villanova continues to show that the JMU loss was somewhat of a fluke loss.
UNH passes all over URI, though URI puts up some rush yards and points on that UNH defense.
William and Mary upsets a sluggish looking UMass team in Williamsburg.
JMU uses the bye week to get healthy and surprise some people by handily beating UR in Harrisonburg on homecoming.
Northeastern hangs tough at home over Maine in what could be a mud bowl.
Delaware fairs well at Navy, but the midshipmen's rush attack is too much for them to handle. This is sure one Jinxzy post if that's a word...... I think you just jinxed the Dukes with all of these shoulda, coulda , wouldas.......xnonox

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
Mission accomplished? That sounds painful. You really ought to encourage your life partner to lube that thing up. xsmiley_wix

Jesus Christo, you CAA guys are s.....l.....o......w.......

It took somebody over three hours to think of a witty comeback to that.....

I mean, for the love of GOD, I can set em on the tee, but SOMEBODY has got to knock it out of the park people!!!

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

JmuSkinsfan
October 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
This is sure one Jinxzy post if that's a word...... I think you just jinxed the Dukes with all of these shoulda, coulda , wouldas.......xnonox

Yeah, I know. I was afraid of that. By all means, if we lose, come on here and blame me. I know I will! But I feel like this happened in the Villanova game too, everyone talked it up about being a tough game, and we came out and spanked them...

th0m
October 24th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Yeah, well Germany owns Holland. xwhistlex :D

Well they certainly think they own our beaches. Goddamn German invasions every summer xlolx And the IKEA here in Groningen, too.

Cranium716
October 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM
JMU 38 Richmond 24: Ground attack central. Landers vs. Hightower. Both teams will run the hell out of the ball, but only one team has the defense to consistently stop the run.

Villanova 31 Hofstra 17: Hofstra showed what they were really made of last week against UNH, playing against another quality team will yield the same results.

Delaware 28 Navy 27: Two words: Omar Cuff.

UMass 31 W&M 30: Really wanted to pick W&M in this one but just couldn't convince myself to do it. This should be a great game.

UNH 24 URI 17: The rain is going to mess with Santos' passing game this week, so this game will be closer than it should be.

N'eastern 21 Maine 10: Battle of the bottomfeeders. Does anyone care about this game?

Old Cage
October 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
"ACtually there is a chance, if W&M scored first in OT, and during XP try it gets blocked, taken to the house, the score is 31-27. If Umass would fail to score on their posession, the final would be 31-27."

Brilliant! The score going into the ot would have to be 25-25 rather than the 24-24 that we were thinking.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
JMU 38 Richmond 24: Ground attack central. Landers vs. Hightower. Both teams will run the hell out of the ball, but only one team has the defense to consistently stop the run.

Villanova 31 Hofstra 17: Hofstra showed what they were really made of last week against UNH, playing against another quality team will yield the same results.

Delaware 28 Navy 27: Two words: Omar Cuff.

UMass 31 W&M 30: Really wanted to pick W&M in this one but just couldn't convince myself to do it. This should be a great game.

UNH 24 URI 17: The rain is going to mess with Santos' passing game this week, so this game will be closer than it should be.

N'eastern 21 Maine 10: Battle of the bottomfeeders. Does anyone care about this game?

Forcast for Durham is Rain friday night, partly sunny and windy for saturday.

Cranium716
October 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Forcast for Durham is Rain friday night, partly sunny and windy for saturday.

Not on weather.com (Showers, light wind, high of 66)...Regardless, UNH will win this game. By how much could be dependant on the weather.

WrenFGun
October 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Interesting...you're not "impressed" or "sold" on either of the two CAA teams that have beaten UNH, nor the team you did beat. I guess "familiarity" does breed contempt. xlolx

Well, if you do look at JMU, Landers, on paper, looks like their sole threat, what with Holloman out. I tend to think that if a team can contain Landers (easier said than done, of course), then I think JMU can be beat. If Santos doesn't throw two atypical INTs on the run, likely a byproduct of the first game of the season, that game is much closer than 41-24. With that said, it was 24-17 UNH 5 minutes into the 3rd, and a late run by JMU really ran the score up. I think if that game is played later in the season (remember, it was UNH's first/JMU's second), the result might be a lot more interesting.

The Hofstra trouncing speaks for itself.

I swear UNH couldn't have tackled a toddler in that game against UR. They played awful. I don't really note much beyond Hightower, though.

Spider
October 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
You may be right. Although, I have a feeling that if ANYTHING is decided in the first quarter, it would be a JMU domination to put UR out of it early. I absolutely can not see JMU falling out of the game in the first quarter (or have it decided that UR beats JMU in the first quarter).

I don't think we will be out of it in the first quarter. The Spiders are a tough group and will be around for the entire game. We are also getting some guys back this week who will help us......

SunCoastBlueHen
October 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
New Hampshire 38 - Rhode Island 10 - Rhodey may have thrown in the towel at this point.

James Madison 35 - Richmond 21 - I think JMU could be the best team in the CAA this year.

Navy 38 - Delaware 35 - Delaware can win this came if they play a complete four quarters of football. However, they have not been able to do that the last two outings.

UMass 38 - William and Mary 21 - Minutemen too much for the Tribe

Northeastern 21 - Maine 17 - Somebody has to win this game, right?

Villanova 24 Hofstra 21 - Give 'Nova the edge due to home field

JmuSkinsfan
October 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Well, if you do look at JMU, Landers, on paper, looks like their sole threat, what with Holloman out. I tend to think that if a team can contain Landers (easier said than done, of course), then I think JMU can be beat. If Santos doesn't throw two atypical INTs on the run, likely a byproduct of the first game of the season, that game is much closer than 41-24. With that said, it was 24-17 UNH 5 minutes into the 3rd, and a late run by JMU really ran the score up. I think if that game is played later in the season (remember, it was UNH's first/JMU's second), the result might be a lot more interesting.

I swear UNH couldn't have tackled a toddler in that game against UR. They played awful. I don't really note much beyond Hightower, though.

I wouldn't necessarily say Landers is the ONLY threat. Our "running backs by committee" haven't done bad at all. You seem to forget that we put up about around 300 yards rushing per game, and only about 120 of that, on average, is Landers, while the other 180 or so is split 3 ways between Noble, Bolton and Yancey. Are any of those game-breakers like Holloman? No, but aside from Bolton, who is a senior, they are young and are improving every week.

And Landers can throw, too. I know a successful passing attack would require Rodney to play well, but our WR corps is very good as well.

Like you said, it is easier said than done when talking about stopping Landers. No one, aside from UNC, has proven that they can stop him on the ground. And while a lot of JMU fans didn't think he could win through the air before the season, I think we are all comfortable enough now to say if you were to stop him on the ground, he will beat you by air.

Cranium716
October 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say Landers is the ONLY threat. Our "running backs by committee" haven't done bad at all. You seem to forget that we put up about around 300 yards rushing per game, and only about 120 of that, on average, is Landers, while the other 180 or so is split 3 ways between Noble, Bolton and Yancey. Are any of those game-breakers like Holloman? No, but aside from Bolton, who is a senior, they are young and are improving every week.

And Landers can throw, too. I know a successful passing attack would require Rodney to play well, but our WR corps is very good as well.

Like you said, it is easier said than done when talking about stopping Landers. No one, aside from UNC, has proven that they can stop him on the ground. And while a lot of JMU fans didn't think he could win through the air before the season, I think we are all comfortable enough now to say if you were to stop him on the ground, he will beat you by air.

Yeah, definitely don't forget LC BAKER. When healthy, he's one of the best WRs in the CAA.

As far as Landers goes, I thought it was going to be a rough transition from Rascati before the season started, but Landers has proven me wrong. I think his arm strength, accuracy, mobility is better than Rascati's.

soccerguy315
October 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM
so many picking the Tribe over UMass...

can't imagine why, but I hope you're right.

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Come on Skins, check your stats. Your WAY off. Landers averages 120 rushing? Try about 97.
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/plyr_7.htm

As far as no one besides UNC stopping him on the ground? Against UNC he had 14 carries for 71 yards. 5.1 a carry isn't really stopping him on the ground. Against Nova it was 18 carries for 70 yards, which is only 3.9 a carry. Against VMI it was only 6 carries for 41 yards, didn't try to run much. So as far as the only team showing they can stop him on the ground (under 4 per carry) that would be Nova. No one else has held him under 5 per carry.

JMU averages about 300 on the ground? Try 244.
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm

Bottom line is JMU is getting 147 yards rushing per game from other than Landers, its running backs by committee of Bolton/Sullivan/Yancey/Noble

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
All of you predicting these nutty high scores forgot to check the weather!
I'm predicting the JMU-UR game assuming the turf is wet but its not raining since weather.com is calling for a 50% chance of rain. All other games its 70%-90%, so I'm making predictions it will be raining for all of them:

@ New Hampshire 35 Rhode Island 14
-Calling for 80% chance of rain with the win from the SSE at 14 mph which could hold lessen the scoring for both teams but could really hamper UNH's passing game) Not much in the way of field goals here.

@James Madison 31 Richmond 24
-Calling for 50% chance of rain, wind from the SW at 7 mph, which is barely a breeze.

@Navy 35 UD 21
-Calling for a 70% chance of rain, wind from the SSW at 12 mph, which could hold lessen the scoring for both teams but could really hurt UD's passing game. Not much in the way of field goals here.

UMass 35 @ William and Mary 14
-Calling for a 70% chance of rain, thundershowers, wind from the S at 11 mph, which could lessen the scoring for both teams but could really hurt W&Ms passing game. Not much in the way of field goals here.

@ Northeastern 14 Maine 7
-Calling for 80% chance of rain, wind from the S at 17 mph, this will play havoc with both teams passing games. Thing is, neither team has much of a passing game. Again, not much in the way of field goals.

@ Villanova 17, Hofstra 14
-Calling for 90% chance of rain & thunder, wind from the SSW @ 14 mph, which again will play havoc with passing games. which will hurt the more pass oriented Hofstra (about 63% of offense) than the slightly more run oriented Nova (passing is 58% of offense).

Longhorn
October 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM

xrotatehx ...yeah, and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass everytime they jumped.

UNH's D played about as well as they could against UR and Hightower. In fact, I thought UNH played one of their better defensive games against UR. But UR simply would not be denied that day. Hightower is something special...whatever he did in the off-season he's come back stronger and faster and is now darn-near unstoppable. As impressive as Cuff is, IMO Hightower is the league's best RB, and that's meaning no disrespect to Cuff because Cuff is a stud. But Hightower is in a league by himself, and is so good that he can almost single handledly beat any team he faces, including JMU this weekend. So UNH has nothing to feel bad about in losing to Hightower...yet JMU's D is a couple notches better than UNH's D, so my guess is Hightower will get his yards and score some points, but come game's end Saturday it won't be enough to carry UR to the victory.

But as far as UNH's performance against JMU, you're obviously blinded by your homerism, or have just chosen to ignore how JMU's offense really works (and how it has continued to develop). Yes, Landers pulls the trigger, but it's not just Landers' running that defines JMU's offense. He's proven he has an excellent arm too, as accurate as Rascati's, but also much stronger. It's also no secret that Landers is throwing to the deepest and best set of receivers in JMU's history, led by LC Baker, and about the time a team puts 8 or 9 players in a box to stop the run, Landers throws over the top. And while the loss of Holloman was a concern at the time his injury was announced, we've not missed him. A strong group of running backs has emerged to replace Holloman, and all of the replacement backs have demonstrated break away speed. I'd also point out that Holloman was a replacement himself last year, so this is not new territory for JMU. Finally, all these skill players are performing behind a large, athletic OL and JMU is running its new no-huddle O almost to perfection. JMU's OL is giving Landers the time and lanes to do whatever he wants, and to date no FCS team has shown they can stop JMU's O...unless it's JMU stopping itself via a turnover. I expect JMU will get tested Saturday by a strong UR D....but it's not their D that concerns me...the only sure way to defeat JMU's O is to keep it off the field via ball control. NU did just that with Murray. URI also did that to a lesser degree, but mostly the Rams benefitted from JMU TOs.

Perhaps if UNH holds up their end of the deal we'll see a rematch between the Wildcats and the Dukes in the playoffs and we can see if your intimation that a late season contest would produce a different result ;) Third time around is the charm they say...as Santos and Co. have already been taken apart twice by JMU...neither of which were "flukey" losses...UNH just got beat by a better team. Personally, while I think a rematch would be a great game, played early or late in the season, the results would be just more of the same: a UNH loss. xnodx

GeeWiz
October 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
New Hampshire 38 Rhode Island 14 - Wildcats starting to hit their stride
JMU 34 Richmond 27 - A late Landers TD run wins it for the Dukes
Navy 37 Delaware 34 - Midshipmen pull out a win in this see-saw battle
UMass 31 W&M 21 - Tribe make things difficult for UMass secondary, but UMass too much talent overall
NU 24 Maine 14 - This game scares me a lot, but i think NU pulls away for a homecoming win
Hofstra 28 Nova 24 - Pride will be tested once again but find a way to win a close one on the road

JmuSkinsfan
October 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Come on Skins, check your stats. Your WAY off. Landers averages 120 rushing? Try about 97.
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/plyr_7.htm

As far as no one besides UNC stopping him on the ground? Against UNC he had 14 carries for 71 yards. 5.1 a carry isn't really stopping him on the ground. Against Nova it was 18 carries for 70 yards, which is only 3.9 a carry. Against VMI it was only 6 carries for 41 yards, didn't try to run much. So as far as the only team showing they can stop him on the ground (under 4 per carry) that would be Nova. No one else has held him under 5 per carry.

JMU averages about 300 on the ground? Try 244.
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm

Bottom line is JMU is getting 147 yards rushing per game from other than Landers, its running backs by committee of Bolton/Sullivan/Yancey/Noble

I apologize for being "way" off. I was merely going off the top of my head to prove a point, and didn't have time to research the stats (although I did know Landers was avg. 97 per game, it just slipped my mind.

And my point in all that was to say that Landers is a huge part of our rushing offense, but not ALL of it. And if he gets stopped on the ground, he can still win it through the air....and vice versa.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM

God, I am GOOD.

Well, other than the Navy/Delaware pick.... xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

blukeys
October 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
God, I am GOOD.

Well, other than the Navy/Delaware pick.... xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

JMU is not out of the race. Sorry about your Navy team. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Not really xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
JMU is not out of the race. Sorry about your Navy team. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Not really xsmiley_wix

JMU has one foot in the grave. The other will be firmly planted in the grave this weekend. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx