PDA

View Full Version : What teams have a TRUE quality win so far

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Give me the team, the team they beat, and why you think it is a true quality win. Simply stating "well, it was their first loss" is not a reason.

I'll go first:

Wofford - win over App State. App State is the defending two-time national champ, who has already beaten one of the top 25 FBS schools at their place, with other wins over 5-3 NAU and 5-2 Elon.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I think UNI's victory over SIU is quality. Way more than thier win over Iowa State was.... xeyebrowx

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Give me the team, the team they beat, and why you think it is a true quality win. Simply stating "well, it was their first loss" is not a reason.

I'll go first:

Wofford - win over App State. App State is the defending two-time national champ, who has already beaten one of the top 25 FBS schools at their place, with other wins over 5-3 NAU and 5-2 Elon.

Elon - Wins over Wofford & GSU. Both teams beat App.

CID1990
They're ALL quality wins in the SoCon.

Bobcat in NC
NDSU's win over Minnesota. True, the Gophers aren't really "quality", but the way the Bison punched a FBS team in the face at their place was truly impressive.

Also, GSU's win at KBS was definite quality. Not something that anyone in the last 4+ years can claim...

th0m
October 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
JMU over UNH. I also believe the Villanova win is a quality win.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Definitely our win over App state.. on the road, on black saturday, to snap a 30 home game winning streak was quality. Also I felt that SDSU was a good win, they seem to be a much better team than their record.

DTSpider
October 23rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
After this weekend, either JMU or UR can claim a quality win over the other. Both have also beaten UNH this year.

Go Apps
October 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Can't forget Apps win at Michigan - and now the Elon looks great... Big Blue could win out...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
True quality wins for UNH at this time:

Delaware (undefeated at the time)
Hofstra (6-0 and at their place)
Marshall (FBS and at their place)

Before everyone howls that Marshall is lousy this year, they are still a FBS squad with 85 schollies playing on their home field in front of a larger crowd that normally seen by a FCS school. If beating a poor FBS team was so easy why don't more FCS schools do so or even play close games with them?

andy7171
October 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
True quality wins for UNH at this time:

Delaware (undefeated at the time)
Hofstra (6-0 and at their place)
Marshall (FBS and at their place)

Before everyone howls that Marshall is lousy this year, they are still a FBS squad with 85 schollies playing on their home field in front of a larger crowd that normally seen by a FCS school. If beating a poor FBS team was so easy why don't more FCS schools do so or even play close games with them?

I agree UNH has two quality wins vs Delaware and at Hofstra.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Sticking to I-AA over I-AA...

UNI over SIU
WC over ASU
GSU over ASU
Elon over WC
JMU over UNH
Richmond over UNH
McNeese over Nicholls
EWU over Montana State
Grambling over AAMU

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

Even Western? :D

I kid, I kid, in the greater context of the FCS, it doesn't appear as such, but honestly, every week, especially this year, is tough, no matter who the opponent. Even Western brings their hard play. App St got the best games of every conference game so far (Wofford, Elon and GaSo) and we're 1-2 in conference with every game being tight.

There's a reason 5 of the 8 teams in the SoCon are in the top 25.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
What? No Del. St. over Hampton?

I'll throw one out there... Drake over Ill. St.! I love stirring the pot... hehehe

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Wrong answer...

That is the type of answer I am trying to avoid. You honestly think your 6-point home win over Western Carolina was a QUALITY win???

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think UNH has one quality win, over Marshall. Neither Delaware nor Hofstra has actually beaten anyone this season, so it's hard to call either a quality win. If Delaware knocks off Richmond, then I'll consider Delaware a quality win. Same with Hofstra and UMass.

That said, with UNH's schedule, getting to 8-3 is VERY impressive, if they can do it (and they're favored to do it, at least, if not 9-2).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Sticking to I-AA over I-AA...

UNI over SIU
WC over ASU
GSU over ASU
Elon over WC
JMU over UNH
Richmond over UNH
McNeese over Nicholls
EWU over Montana State
Grambling over AAMU

If UNH has no quality win how can wins over UNH be considered quality?xwhistlex

lizrdgizrd
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Wrong answer...

That is the type of answer I am trying to avoid. You honestly think your 6-point home win over Western Carolina was a QUALITY win???
I think we're willing to make an exception for WCU. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
If UNH has no quality win how can wins over UNH be considered quality?xwhistlex
I didn't list I-A wins. UNH over Marshall. xsmiley_wix

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhxthumbsupx

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
McNeese over FBS ULL.......nah.......doesn't count. Almost everybody beats them.

Of course, we didn't only beat them, we beat them bad. 31-17 and kneeled the ball down in the redzone to end the game. :D

Doc

DetroitFlyer
October 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Dayton over Fordham.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Dayton over Fordham.
Albany made it a common win, not quality.

McNeese_beat
October 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
McNeese over FBS ULL.......nah.......doesn't count. Almost everybody beats them.

Of course, we didn't only beat them, we beat them bad. 31-17 and kneeled the ball down in the redzone to end the game. :D

Doc

Why do you want to steal a TD from your boys? It was 38-17...with the kneel downxrulesx

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
NDSU over Minnesota
- They are 1-7 but the Gophers did have the 18th best offense in college football.

NDSU over Central Michigan
-CMU is 4-4 and 3-0 in the MAC
-The teams that beat them are a combined 25-4
-NDSU beat them 44-14

DetroitFlyer
October 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Albany made it a common win, not quality.

Wrong as usual....

Albany over Fordham is a quality win.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Wrong as usual....

Albany over Fordham is a quality win.
Didn't know an opinion could be wrong... well except for your old guard notion... you know the one where you refuse to answer the question of non-old guard teams.

1. Colonial Athletic Association (23.55)
2. Gateway Football Conference (26.27)
3. Southern Conference (27.07)
4. Great West Football Conference (27.73)
5. Southland Conference (39.61)
6. Big Sky Conference (40.92)
7. Ivy League (49.13)
8. Patriot League (49.23)

The Patriot is having a horrible year. PL fans will be the first to admit that. Fordham is not a quality win IMO.

HIU 93
October 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
I think UNI's victory over SIU is quality. Way more than thier win over Iowa State was.... xeyebrowx

I agree- SIU is smoking hot.

UNI is definitely the truth the way they handled SIU.

crunifan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I agree- SIU is smoking hot.

UNI is definitely the truth the way they handled SIU.

UNI handeled SIU in the first half.

UNI escaped SIU in the second half.

DOME
October 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
NDSU's win over Minnesota. True, the Gophers aren't really "quality", but the way the Bison punched a FBS team in the face at their place was truly impressive.

SIU won @ NIU
UNI won @ ISU <-By two scores :)
ApSt won @ UM
I'm missing several more...
UNI worked over what I thought was a good run D at WIU

danefan
October 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Didn't know an opinion could be wrong... well except for your old guard notion... you know the one where you refuse to answer the question of non-old guard teams.

1. Colonial Athletic Association (23.55)
2. Gateway Football Conference (26.27)
3. Southern Conference (27.07)
4. Great West Football Conference (27.73)
5. Southland Conference (39.61)
6. Big Sky Conference (40.92)
7. Ivy League (49.13)
8. Patriot League (49.23)

The Patriot is having a horrible year. PL fans will be the first to admit that. Fordham is not a quality win IMO.

Our win over Fordham is as good as our win over Stony Brook. Take that to mean its a good win and may prove better if Fordham wins the PL, but nothing to argue playoff worth.

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Why do you want to steal a TD from your boys? It was 38-17...with the kneel downxrulesx

Uh! That's what I mean. Damn computer keyboard!!! :)

Don't you have a newspaper column or something to write. :D

Doc

CID1990
October 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Wrong answer...

Well, WCU piled up some pretty impressive stats against us as well as Elon. Interestingly enough, Elon piled up some pretty impressive stats against Wofford, who in turn put up some pretty impressive stats against App State, who in turn whooped NAU.

So, yes, I would say that EVEN WCU is a quality win. They would be at least .500 if they were playing in your conference.

Mountaineer#96
October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
That might be pretty bold 1990.......

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
I think SIU over FBS NIU was a quality win not because NIU is very good but because they overcame a 20 point 4th quarter deficit to win. Some NFL team is going to find Nick Hill real hard to get rid of.

CID1990
October 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
That might be pretty bold 1990.......

Maybe so, but I coudln't resist the whole "X degrees of Kevin Bacon" thing.

That said, WCU will spoil someone's playoff hopes before the season is out.

RE/MAXGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I saw some people said Eastern Washington over Montana St, so then I guess you could add in Montana over EWU.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
I saw some people said Eastern Washington over Montana St, so then I guess you could add in Montana over EWU.

Naw, we should have blown 'em out by 30. If we don't we must suck, huh? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

FCS Go!
October 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Well, WCU piled up some pretty impressive stats against us as well as Elon. Interestingly enough, Elon piled up some pretty impressive stats against Wofford, who in turn put up some pretty impressive stats against App State, who in turn whooped NAU.

So, yes, I would say that EVEN WCU is a quality win. They would be at least .500 if they were playing in your conference.

Yeah and Sac St would be in first place in the Southern...xrolleyesx

RE/MAXGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Naw, we should have blown 'em out by 30. If we don't we must suck, huh? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Yup, we suck a$$ gotta blow 'em out, a "dub" ain't a "dub" unless it's by 30 points.

Laserlips
October 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=CID1990

That said, WCU will spoil someone's playoff hopes before the season is out.[/QUOTE]

CID1990:

Hope you are correct...:D

JP

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
SIU over YSU was a good win.

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
montana's win over... oh never mind :)... had too no smack...

RE/MAXGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
montana's win over... oh never mind :)... had too no smack...

Eastern Washington, and if they come out and play hard, NAU this weekend.

catatac
October 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Yup, we suck a$$ gotta blow 'em out, a "dub" ain't a "dub" unless it's by 30 points.

I don't know about that... but you gotta admit EWU pretty much dominated you in that game everywhere but the scoreboard... thanks to a freakishly lucky catch... I will give you credit for pulling the W straight out of your... but didn't EWU just about triple your offensive output?

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Eastern Washington, and if they come out and play hard, NAU this weekend.

having seen nau... i will give you that once you beat them xnodx

BestOfBreed
October 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
NAU will have 4 losses if Montana wins. A 4 loss team does not equal a quality win. xcoffeex

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
NAU will have 4 losses if Montana wins. A 4 loss team does not equal a quality win. xcoffeex

check who their losses are too... nau=quality win to me!

RE/MAXGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know about that... but you gotta admit EWU pretty much dominated you in that game everywhere but the scoreboard... thanks to a freakishly lucky catch... I will give you credit for pulling the W straight out of your... but didn't EWU just about triple your offensive output?

I think they did, but they made enough mistakes that cost them the game, fumbles, and dumb penalties. There's days when the stats point to a win and there's days when they don't.

BestOfBreed
October 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

Maybe to you but not the selection committee. Btw, Sacramento State???

Go...gate
October 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Colgate over Towson of the CAA.

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
I think almost any win over an FBS would qualify. They are almost always road wins.

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
UNI handeled SIU in the first half.

UNI escaped SIU in the second half.
Not a bad summary.
SIU had about 120 more yards in the game. Even with four turnovers it came down to a tackle at the six yard line as time ran out. Escaped was a very good choice of words.

Seawolf97
October 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have to pull a homer and say last weekends win over Maine. I know Maine is having a bad year but they also have 63 scholarships to our 40, they area CAA team and we didnt fold after trailing the entire game. We tied it with 2 seconds in regulation, tied it again in the 1st OT and won it outright at the end. Of course we visit Maine in 2008 and they will probably blow us out.

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Not a bad summary.
SIU had about 120 more yards in the game. Even with four turnovers it came down to a tackle at the six yard line as time ran out. Escaped was a very good choice of words.

You can't diminish UNI's execution of their game plan, they played a hell of a game, although right now they are the only ones who realize how good of a team they beat. Frankly, looking at the big picture from the end of the season I don't think the loss will be much of a negative, and could even be a positive because of the confidence boost and the fact that I suspect most coaches would be nervous about going into the playoffs undefeated and risk having the streak become a distraction.

CopperCat
October 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM

Just because NAU played ASU tough does not necessarily make them a quality team. NAU was pounded by Sac St. 38-9, and most everybody would say that Sac St. is nowhere even close to being a "quality team." If you want to know the true quality of NAU, then look at them after their next three games: UM at home, MSU on the road, and EWU on the road.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM

Or maybe that means that EL Cid is over-rated?

App State whooped us?? xlolx

No Virginia, WCU is NOT a quality win, especially at home.

Pantherpower
October 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
xcoffeex
Not a bad summary.

UNI fell asleep in the last 5 minutes. SIU never quit...I'll give them that.

BULLDOG8180
October 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Wrong answer...

Not that I think it was a quality win, but get your facts straight- it was @ WCU. Their homecoming game.xrotatehx

dbackjon
October 24th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Not that I think it was a quality win, but get your facts straight- it was @ WCU. Their homecoming game.xrotatehx

I stand corrected on the location...

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I really think Montana over EWU was a quality win over a very good football team.

Also, I think the University of Eaton Crowe's victory over App. St. on Sunday morning was pretty impressive. xreadx

xlolx xlolx :p :p

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Most Chattanooga fans would say that the Mocs winning (for the first time ever) at Georgia Southern would qualify as a quality win (especially after their win at ASU and their return to the rankings)