PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Youngstown St. @ Western Illinois

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2022, 11:02 AM
YSU (3-3) has a strong chance to pickup win #4 at WIU (0-6) this week. Preseason I projected this as their 4th win. Game notes show Davidson getting the start again at QB. WIU has been struggling at this position. My projection here is for a YSU win by 17.

In other news YSU All American RB McLaughlin has been selected for the post season Hula Bowl. He follows YSU TE Ogletree (6’5,250) who played in the Hula Bowl last year before being drafted in the NFL.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2022, 01:12 PM
It doesn't look like WIU is beating anyone this year.

ST_Lawson
October 19th, 2022, 03:38 PM
We're in phase 1 of a complete rebuild. Everything has been torn down to the studs and it looks pretty ugly at this point.
Still up in the air on what the end result will look like, and if our lead architect is up for the challenge or in over his head.

I don't think the question is "who will win", the question is "will WIU be within 2 scores of YSU at the end of the game".

BeamMeUp
October 19th, 2022, 04:45 PM
While I appreciate the optimism Paladin, after watching the coaching misstakes in recent weeks, I think this will be closer than it should. Hope I am wrong.

YSU 35-27

ysubigred
October 19th, 2022, 07:43 PM
We're in phase 1 of a complete rebuild. Everything has been torn down to the studs and it looks pretty ugly at this point.
Still up in the air on what the end result will look like, and if our lead architect is up for the challenge or in over his head.

I don't think the question is "who will win", the question is "will WIU be within 2 scores of YSU at the end of the game".If the Leather Necks are to win a game YSU will be their best opportunity. I have no confidence in YSUs coaching staff to win on the road. Last year at SIU I believe the coaching staff let the kids play and knew it was the last game. Bottom line the more they coach it up the worse they play. Indy State last week was a classic example of out coaching theirselves..

Good luck I have it WIU 35-28

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2022, 07:57 PM
I’m looking at strengths and weaknesses. WIU has been weak in defending the run, YSUs strength. WIU has also struggled at QB, trying several but not getting any meaningful results. YSU has at least one now who can throw putting up good numbers. My outlook is WIU is by far the weakest team in the MVFC. They may well not win a game this year.

Should YSU win as I suspect they will do easily, they have a chance at win #5 with South Dakota. Preseason I projected wins against our first 2 non league games, Indy St and WIU. I also projected 3 toss up games they would have a shot at #5 - UND who they lost a close game to, USD coming up and lastly ISUr. I see losses with MoST and SIU.

YSU has stayed injury free. That might make a difference in finishing out the season with possible surprise.

BTW, Ogletree was selected as the MVP of that Hula Bowl game. That lead to his drafting. McLaughlin is having another strong season.

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2022, 08:19 PM
YSU is scoring 28 pts a game, giving up 27.

WIU is scoring 13 pts a game and giving up 39.

ST_Lawson
October 19th, 2022, 10:18 PM
If the Leather Necks are to win a game YSU will be their best opportunity.

I would think we stand a slightly better chance against Indiana State than YSU. We're not favored in either, but against INSU and YSU we stand some semblance of a chance.

Against anyone else in the conference...

https://media.tenor.com/p54UKZMskZoAAAAM/jonah-jameson-laugh.gif

Paladin1aa
October 20th, 2022, 08:43 AM
The local paper projects a YSU win, 42-10. Thirty two point margin maybe dicey. I’ll stick with a 17 pt margin.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Crazy though.. would a 7-4 YSU team make the playoffs?

I know chances are very slim but what if..

Paladin1aa
October 20th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Crazy though.. would a 7-4 YSU team make the playoffs?

I know chances are very slim but what if..

Way ahead of yourself. And consider not the record ,but that the MVFC is down and viewed as down by most. YSU also lacks a signature win at this point. I’m confident about this game, but they potentially could lose the rest.

I see an opportunity to win a 5th game, but it gets tough the rest of the way.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Way ahead of yourself. And consider not the record ,but that the MVFC is down and viewed as down by most. YSU also lacks a signature win at this point. I’m confident about this game, but they potentially could lose the rest.

I see an opportunity to win a 5th game, but it gets tough the rest of the way.The signature win would have to be SIU at this point and that's a stretch.

A 7-4 YSU team would be a 5th team in I'd say for the MVFC. As strong as the Big Sky seems I'm not sure the MVFC will get 5.

Still a lot of football to play. The Guins just need to take care of business..

BeamMeUp
October 20th, 2022, 08:00 PM
That word that begins with a P should not be uttered by any fan of YSU at the moment. Nothing that I've seen this year gives me the confidence that we can go on the road and blow out a winless WIU squad. I feel as though we will find a way to keep them in it and cause our collective anxiety to rise substantially on Saturday.

If I am wrong, I will be one happy YSU fan... Just don't see it happening, but I do see a victory.

BEAM

ysubigred
October 21st, 2022, 09:36 AM
Why wouldn't the P word be mentioned by any YSU fan at the moment? Some don't like hanging in misery. Last I checked the MVFC has 8 teams still available to make post season.. depending on how it plays out the rest of the way for them. Just curious on the thoughts of others [emoji848] How about any 7-4 MVFC team getting into post season?

BeamMeUp
October 21st, 2022, 10:39 AM
Why wouldn't the P word be mentioned by any YSU fan at the moment? Some don't like hanging in misery. Last I checked the MVFC has 8 teams still available to make post season.. depending on how it plays out the rest of the way for them. Just curious on the thought of others [emoji848] How about any 7-4 MVFC team getting into post season?

Big Red...

I understand that we still control our own destiny and have a favorable schedule, but until we play a complete game without questionable coaching mistakes, I don't see it happening. I do think we can get to 6 wins, but think the coaching needs to improve to give me any hope at 7.

ysubigred
October 21st, 2022, 02:39 PM
Big Red...

I understand that we still control our own destiny and have a favorable schedule, but until we play a complete game without questionable coaching mistakes, I don't see it happening. I do think we can get to 6 wins, but think the coaching needs to improve to give me any hope at 7.I agree with you Beam. Crazy how much we took for granted in the 90s, now just reaching for anything to get us to some kind of relevance seems impossible. The last game against SIU last year and the good recruiting, decent portal additions and a true off season had my hopes through to roof.. frustrating to say the least.

Penguin Nation
October 21st, 2022, 09:03 PM
My prediction is an absolute bloodbath. WIU with not even a yard/rush average versus SDSU? 19 yards rushing total in the same game? Last in nearly every category except penalty yards/game? The problem with this matchup is it won’t even be sporting. This game will be over before the creepy, zombie pre-game cult ritual to government symbols even starts. YSU 48-13.

Houndawg
October 22nd, 2022, 05:36 AM
The signature win would have to be SIU at this point and that's a stretch.

A 7-4 YSU team would be a 5th team in I'd say for the MVFC. As strong as the Big Sky seems I'm not sure the MVFC will get 5.

Still a lot of football to play. The Guins just need to take care of business..

Maybe not so much of a stretch when you get SIU at home the week after they play NDSU

Houndawg
October 22nd, 2022, 05:47 AM
Why wouldn't the P word be mentioned by any YSU fan at the moment? Some don't like hanging in misery. Last I checked the MVFC has 8 teams still available to make post season.. depending on how it plays out the rest of the way for them. Just curious on the thoughts of others [emoji848] How about any 7-4 MVFC team getting into post season?

I think the chances are slimmer than usual with the MVFC being weak this year

mvfcfan
October 22nd, 2022, 07:29 AM
I meant to ask this last weekend, but do any of you know what the horn is supposed to be at Stambaugh Stadium that blows on 3rd downs and 1st downs? I've heard it for years and I personally like it.

BeamMeUp
October 22nd, 2022, 07:46 AM
My prediction is an absolute bloodbath. WIU with not even a yard/rush average versus SDSU? 19 yards rushing total in the same game? Last in nearly every category except penalty yards/game? The problem with this matchup is it won’t even be sporting. This game will be over before the creepy, zombie pre-game cult ritual to government symbols even starts. YSU 48-13.

https://c.tenor.com/p4RoRBeVf4UAAAAC/i-have-no-idea-what-that-means-johnny-rose.gif

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Maybe not so much of a stretch when you get SIU at home the week after they play NDSUYou all knock them off then SIU would become a signature win. Good luck.

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2022, 08:51 AM
I meant to ask this last weekend, but do any of you know what the horn is supposed to be at Stambaugh Stadium that blows on 3rd downs and 1st downs? I've heard it for years and I personally like it.It's an old steam whistle from a steel mill. It signals grit and strength for symbolism.

My translation xtwocentsx

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2022, 08:55 AM
https://c.tenor.com/p4RoRBeVf4UAAAAC/i-have-no-idea-what-that-means-johnny-rose.gifI'll translate.

He's/she's anti American. I'd tell it to move to another country but I can't think of one that doesn't have it's citizens stand for an anthem.

Tries to ruin each thread with these radical views.. surprised they haven't got the boot from here for this. The TOS says this is not allowed.

BeamMeUp
October 22nd, 2022, 09:33 AM
I'll translate.

He's/she's anti American. I'd tell it to move to another country but I can't think of one that doesn't have it's citizens stand for an anthem.

Tries to ruin each thread with these radical views.. surprised they haven't got the boot from here for this. The TOS says this is not allowed.

Well perhaps they will be triggered if I begin to include this beautiful flag with future posts. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/1200px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2022, 09:58 AM
Well perhaps they will be triggered if I begin to include this beautiful flag with future posts. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/1200px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngLol.. I approve [emoji106]

Penguin Nation
October 23rd, 2022, 03:29 AM
I'll translate.

A comment mocking a mass obedience ritual worshipping a government symbol triggers you so much, you want it censored.

I’m sorry for what K-12 government indoctrination did to you. Instead of learning the (deadly) consequences of unquestioning obedience, we were taught obsequious rituals so well, we enforce them on others.

As far as the game goes, Pelini left the team in shambles. It could be worse than two straight ugly wins during a rebuilding year.

ysubigred
October 23rd, 2022, 07:08 AM
A comment mocking a mass obedience ritual worshipping a government symbol triggers you so much, you want it censored.

I’m sorry for what K-12 government indoctrination did to you. Instead of learning the (deadly) consequences of unquestioning obedience, we were taught obsequious rituals so well, we enforce them on others.

As far as the game goes, Pelini left the team in shambles. It could be worse than two straight ugly wins during a rebuilding year.Wow you're a bigger dumbass than I thought you were, you're not taking a hint. No one cares about your self hate that was indoctrinated into you. If anyone is triggered it's you.

BeamMeUp
October 23rd, 2022, 07:13 AM
Patiently waiting to hear Paladin's commentary... ☕️

Paladin1aa
October 23rd, 2022, 10:22 AM
Patiently waiting to hear Paladin's commentary... ☕️

Slept on it because I was angry. Here’s the truth -

1. winning was great, but we are barely better than the worst team in the league. In fact, we suck.

2. there are dumber coaches in the league than ours. WIU gave that game away throwing an incomplete pass instead of running ball. Could have run off more time and forced us to use the TO.

3. while we have improved slightly, we still stink. Crenshaw never improved over last year, OL is barely better and we have no CBs

4. we are (barely) on target for my win projection. We have the forecast 4 and have a chance ( slight) at wn #5 with USD, ISUr and MoSt who stinks. Still think SIU is a loss.

5. Davidson had ( for him) a decent game, but QB for us is a weak position. All the while if it was not for Jaleel, we might not have won a game

6. looking out, it doesnt look a whole lot better the next year, but that a whole nother thread.

7. BTW , fire the OC. Send him packing to Hiram or Thiel College

8. the h.s. Principal HC lives to coach another day. This act is getting old, fast

9. of course, we still have the ultimate problem. The AD is still the cause of ruining the money sports- FB,MBB,WBB . Nothing much changes while he is there.

10. drop the talk of playoffs. We have beaten no one of distinction only 2 cupcakes and the worst 2 teams in the league. We are barely better than last year. I’m not sure now that playoffs for next year is even worthy of consideration. YSU is still pretty bad.

BeamMeUp
October 23rd, 2022, 06:46 PM
I find it comical that anyone would even waste their breath mentioning the word playoffs with this team. When you think back to Wolford's first year filled with some heartbreaking defeats, at least they went about showing some true potential and growth. After 7 games, we are not showing improvement. I thought our overall best half of football was the 2nd half in Fargo. Since then our defense has been torched for 3 straight weeks and our offensive coordinator continues his beyond questionable play-calling.

To those looking ahead at our schedule and thinking playoffs are in the cards, I ask this question:

--- Do you honestly think we have any shot at winning any of the final four games if we play the way we did yesterday in Macomb?

It is one thing if we were showing signs of improvement, then maybe I could see a path to 6-7 wins, but this team's body of work thus far leads me to believe the final four weeks will be tough on us Penguin fans. It is a damn shame because the schedule is quite favorable as we have mentioned quite a few times in the past month on this forum. I am willing to give Phillips a chance, but these assistants better coach like their jobs are on the line in the final four games.

BEAM ME UP!

ysubigred
October 24th, 2022, 07:02 AM
Yeah too funny a fan can't talk hypothetical or have ambitions of playoff aspersions..

Insted clowns come on a national football board packed with doom and gloom knowing more than anyone else.. laughable to say the least. Claim to be a real fans.. umm okay [emoji106]

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2022, 08:13 AM
A quick primer -

YSUs final games are home with USD , a decent D team holding opponents to low scoring games - away with ISUr, a winning upper half MVFC team - away at Missouri St who has played a tough schedule and is loaded with transfers - and home against SIU, the second or third best team in MVFC.

YSU STRUGGLED with the 2 worst teams in the league. They have played no one. Cant cover WRs as both CBs are bad, lack a QB, has a subpar OL, coaching issues and little to no fan attendance at home. And that’s not all the problems.

I read the cheerleader board. Total fools. It’s a program where most still have their head up their arse. Pending transfers or strong recruits, no playoffs next year either.

penguinpower
October 24th, 2022, 10:37 AM
A quick primer -

YSUs final games are home with USD , a decent D team holding opponents to low scoring games - away with ISUr, a winning upper half MVFC team - away at Missouri St who has played a tough schedule and is loaded with transfers - and home against SIU, the second or third best team in MVFC.

YSU STRUGGLED with the 2 worst teams in the league. They have played no one. Cant cover WRs as both CBs are bad, lack a QB, has a subpar OL, coaching issues and little to no fan attendance at home. And that’s not all the problems.

I read the cheerleader board. Total fools. It’s a program where most still have their head up their arse. Pending transfers or strong recruits, no playoffs next year either.

I never agreed with them censoring you on the other board. I think it's bull****. This board is much better about the censorship.

Anyhow you are 100% correct about the AD. And now he's at a point where it's the chicken or the egg. He can't get butts in seats because they aren't winning and because they aren't winning they don't have the money to get better coaches. And because they can't better coaches they can't win. So as far as I'm concerned, what are we going to get with the budget they are given?

It's like an impossible situation with how the AD is bean counting. They aren't taking any risks.

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Yep, bean counting is where it all started. The newly hired AD -

1. Hired Heacock CHEAP
2. extended him when he should have fired him. Reason - CHEAP
3. Hired Wolf who would also work cheap to build his bio
4. Fired Wolf who ran off local recruits and r3cruited nationally better players to win. Re : Pitt. Should not have fired him
5. Hired the clown Pelini, but increased pay. Pelini couldn’t recruit, cheated and was costing YSU money. Fire him
6. Hires the h.s. Principal HC Phillips cheap but got big booster bucks for doing so. Bean counter deluxe

At this point, eliminate some sports ( we have 21 and most schools at our level have 15-17 ). Hire an up and comer. No one local or local ties. He is free to eliminate poor players , locals included. Must have strong recruiting record. Pay raise for each co-ordinators . Stand back don’t interfere.

The additional athletic teams were created to boost enrollment, again at the expense of the money sports.

And, of course, this whole fiasco should have been avoided by firing the inept AD. How he has a job is a great mystery. He is responsible for all of it.

BeamMeUp
October 24th, 2022, 07:28 PM
Yeah too funny a fan can't talk hypothetical or have ambitions of playoff aspersions..

Insted clowns come on a national football board packed with doom and gloom knowing more than anyone else.. laughable to say the least. Claim to be a real fans.. umm okay [emoji106]

BigRed... Trust me when I say this, I would like nothing more to be wrong and the stars align and we either win out or go 3-1 down stretch and slip into playoffs. However, after watching this team the past 3 weeks, I think any talk of the playoffs isn't worth our while.

Without a doubt we are still technically in contention. But I'd throw the question back at you... Do you think based on what you've seen this year this team is capable of doing what it takes to make the playoffs or worthy of making the playoffs?

ysubigred
October 24th, 2022, 08:30 PM
BigRed... Trust me when I say this, I would like nothing more to be wrong and the stars align and we either win out or go 3-1 down stretch and slip into playoffs. However, after watching this team the past 3 weeks, I think any talk of the playoffs isn't worth our while.

Without a doubt we are still technically in contention. But I'd throw the question back at you... Do you think based on what you've seen this year this team is capable of doing what it takes to make the playoffs or worthy of making the playoffs?"IF" They win 3 of the last 4 the committee will decide and I'd say they'll leave them out. YSU runs the table I'll say 1st round home game.

Listen I'm as real as it comes when I watch YSU play. I've watched every team in the MVFC play several games this year and 0 teams of the 11 seems sharp in all phases. SDSU is in control of the league but I'm not overly impressed with them either. I agree with pally the NC stands a good chance of leaving the Valley.

My point is hell live a little and let the kids decide on the field.. nothing wrong with a little hypothetical thinking to break up the obvious.. As we all know,,, On Any Given Saturday [emoji106]

Penguin Nation
October 29th, 2022, 05:34 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/1200px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Show your #SlavePride 👍

Penguin Nation
October 29th, 2022, 06:10 AM
Wow you're a bigger dumbass than I thought you were, you're not taking a hint. No one cares about your self hate that was indoctrinated into you. If anyone is triggered it's you.

“Self-hate”

You have self-identified with those that rule you.

Insult a FUBAR cult ritual to your tyrants, and you see it as an insult to you.

That is next level Stockholm Syndrome.

ysubigred
October 29th, 2022, 08:52 AM
“Self-hate”

You have self-identified with those that rule you.

Insult a FUBAR cult ritual to your tyrants, and you see it as an insult to you.

That is next level Stockholm Syndrome.Not sure you realize this but you're pretty ****ing weird..

Have a great life..

Penguin Nation
November 3rd, 2022, 05:38 AM
you're pretty ****ing weird..

lol….says the guy who does hyper-obedience rituals to rectangles.