PDA

View Full Version : National Player of the Week Honors Announced <---CSN

CSN-info
October 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
National Player of the Week Honors Announced
College Sporting News

University of New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos, Elon University wideout Terrell Hudgins, Northern Arizona University defensive back Cyrus Igono, and South Dakota State University kick returner/runningback Adam Monke are the recipients of College Sporting News national Football Championship Subdivision honors for the week ending October 21, 2007.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88434

terrierbob
October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Why the wideout and not Riddle???

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
i thought jayson foster might make that list... he had one hell of a game

grizband
October 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
i thought jayson foster might make that list... he had one hell of a game

Foster did have a great game. Here is a comparison of the stats for each:

Foster:
3-3 14 passing yards 0 TD, 0 INT
20 carries for 175 yards 1 TD

Santos:
19-23 262 passing yards 4 TD, 0 INT
5 carries for -11 yards 1 TD

spelunker64
October 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
No Roehl???

already123
October 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Go Jacks!

spelunker64
October 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Go Jacks!

both of them

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Foster:

Santos:
And Santos had a much better one xcoolx

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
And Santos had a much better one xcoolx

Does Santos also catch passes, return punts and holds place kicks?

Foster carried GaSo to the biggest win for that program in some time.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Santos has caught passes before. He for the most part holds the XP and FGs and he dont need to return punts since UNH has some very good kick returners on the team.

If Santos played the whole game and was allowed to run the offense like he did in the first half even though it was a blowout, he easily could have passed for 500 yards and 7 TDs.

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Does Santos also catch passes, return punts and holds place kicks?

Foster carried GaSo to the biggest win for that program in some time.

Foster means more to GSU, than any player means to any team in the nation. The kid is a HELL of a player and doesn't mind putting the game on his shoulders.

Don't forget, Foster many times also lines up a a tailback when the back up QB (Whitemore) comes into the game on some passing downs. The guys does EVERYTHING! Even though he's small, he'll be playing somewhere at the next level......and he'll be a STEAL for any team.

Onto other things, I sure thought Riddle would get the nod over Hudgins & Santos. Riddle went 41-51, 343 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs. This all came against one of the best passing denfenses in FCS (Wofford). Riddle also shatterd the Elon single game record for completions. Riddle has now passed for over 300 yards in 6 straight games.

NDSUFREAK
October 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
WHERE'S ROEHL!!?? USA Today Player of the Week doesn't get you on atleast the CSN Players of the week? xconfusedx

CSN-info
October 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
WHERE'S ROEHL!!?? USA Today Player of the Week doesn't get you on atleast the CSN Players of the week? xconfusedxCongrats to Tyler Roehl (a previous CSN Player of the Week) for his Co-Offensive honors from the GWFC! xsmileyclapx

gasouthern01
October 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Santos is a great QB, no doubt about that. But Foster is a great 'everything'! Unfortunately a big reason why Foster will not win the Payton award is when people see QB next to his name they want to see passing stats and as much as I hate it, the voters will not take into consideration all those rushing, receiving and all purpose yards. But he should be in Chattanooga as a top 3 finalist for sure!!

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Santos has caught passes before. He for the most part holds the XP and FGs and he dont need to return punts since UNH has some very good kick returners on the team.

If Santos played the whole game and was allowed to run the offense like he did in the first half even though it was a blowout, he easily could have passed for 500 yards and 7 TDs.

Yeah, but this was about this week, and the statistics above don't include Foster's catches in Saturday's game. I think it was three, and I know he gained 41 yards on them. And every one of Foster's yards in every category really mattered related to the outcome of the game.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Foster isnt all that.... Santos has 20 TDs in basically 5 games (left early in the Delaware game and also sat out part of the Hofstra and Dartmouth games not to mention not playing in the Iona game)

Foster has 19 TDs in 7 games

appstate38
October 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

Foster:

Santos:

Based on his stats alone I can see why he didn't get consideration. But His impact on the game should have warranted a nod from somebody, especially since it was a TV game.

gasouthern01
October 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Foster isnt all that.... Santos has 20 TDs in basically 5 games (left early in the Delaware game and also sat out part of the Hofstra and Dartmouth games not to mention not playing in the Iona game)

Foster isn't all that? Let's take a quick little poll from fans of other teams and find out which player they would least like to see on the opposite side of the ball from their favorite team. Santos is a great QB, no doubt about that. But Foster is more dangerous in my opinion.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
The only Qb this week who had a better game then Santos was Tom Brady xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appstate38
October 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM

You shouldn't speak of things of which you can't possibly fully understand until you see this man in person. He is a game changer that you have to game plan around on every snap. Santos is statistically better but for impact on a football game give me Foster hands down and twice on Sunday.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
You shouldn't speak of things of which you can't possibly fully understand until you see this man in person. He is a game changer that you have to game plan around on every snap. Santos is statistically better but for impact on a football game give me Foster hands down and twice on Sunday.

Led UNH to become the first team in CAA/A10/Yankee Conf history to advance past the 1st round for the 3 consecutive years. Nuff said on being a game changer. Not to mention beating 3 FBS teams in 3 tries.

Your praising Foster on a schedule that to date includes just 2 decent opponents.

appstate38
October 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Led UNH to become the first team in CAA/A10/Yankee Conf history to advance past the 1st round for the 3 consecutive years. Nuff said on being a game changer. Not to mention beating 3 FBS teams in 3 tries.

Your praising Foster on a schedule that to date includes just 2 decent opponents.

Well maybe you guys will get a chance to experience his talents first hand.

You can't discount what he brings. I have also noticed that for all Ricky's talents it has not tranlated into playing in the last game of the year.xwhistlex

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Foster isn't all that? Let's take a quick little poll from fans of other teams and find out which player they would least like to see on the opposite side of the ball from their favorite team. Santos is a great QB, no doubt about that. But Foster is more dangerous in my opinion.

Why not ask, oh, Elon?

Foster: 27 rushes, 98 yards
5-14 passing, 55 yards
1- Minus 11 receiving
2 punt returns, 6 yards

I think they liked Foster well enough. xlolx

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM

Like I said earlier, Foster mean more to his team than any single player, on any team, in the nation.

98chev
October 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Still confused about Roehl.

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
agreed

gasouthern01
October 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Why not ask, oh, Elon?

Foster: 27 rushes, 98 yards
5-14 passing, 55 yards
1- Minus 11 receiving
2 punt returns, 6 yards

I think they liked Foster well enough. xlolx

Just proves my point that defenses know what the man can do. Elon shut him down (and it's amazing to think that almost 100 rushing yards is shutting a player down). And also look at what Fosters running backs were able to do when the defense focused on him:

Lewis 103 yards 1 TD
Hamilton 75 Yards and 1 TD
teal 69 Yards

Again, the guy brings more attention from other teams than any other QB!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Santos has the better career, but Foster is the man who I would fear more. Of course, we are 2 for 2 against Santos, and limited him in his effectiveness, which is more than most teams can claim.

I just think in today's football game the duel threat is much more dangerous in terms of value of a single player and the effect it has on the opposing defense having to make adjustments for that one player. Pocket passers like Santos (yes, I know he's mobile, but still...) are most effective in making other people look great, thereby putting the total team win together.

JMU had a QB like Santos IMO in Rascati, although we used him as a passer less than UNH uses Santos. Meanwhile, JMU now has a spread option QB in Rodney Landers. 678 yds rushing, 1,226 yds passing through 7 games. Could become a 1,000 rushing / 2,000 passing QB. He is sickly dangerous, much like Foster, accounting for something like 70% of the total offense this year I think for JMU.

The coach from Coastal Carolina in his press conference after the JMU game compared the two, saying that while he felt Foster has the better set of wheels, Landers has the combination of size and speed that makes him hard to tackle. I believe the phrase he used was, "He jacked us up!"

I just always see Santos CRUSH weak competition, but he does not handle the tougher competition as well. 2 picks vs. JMu this year, sacked 5 times last year @UNH. Sorry, I fear Foster against my team this year.

At the end of the day, it was the team effort and a versatile, but pass first, run second Rascati that won us the Title in 2004. But on any given day, I worry about the Edwards, Foster, Landers prototype a bit more. It's kind of like asking which is worse, the Ferrari or Lamborghini. Answer - They're both sick!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
I just always see Santos CRUSH weak competition, but he does not handle the tougher competition as well. 2 picks vs. JMu this year, sacked 5 times last year @UNH. Sorry, I fear Foster against my team this year!

I suppose you think the No. 10 team in the nation was weak competition? xeyebrowx

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
You limited Santo's effectiveness because you shut down the run.

Santos still had great games passing..

70-93 705 yards 3 TD and led UNH to 47 points.... combined in the two games.

Also, Santos isnt exactly Drew Bledsoe here, he can run very well. Including a 3 game stretch in 2005 including 2 playoff games where his totals were 951 yards passing, with 10 TDs and 387 yards rushing with another 4 TD

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Just proves my point that defenses know what the man can do. Elon shut him down (and it's amazing to think that almost 100 rushing yards is shutting a player down). And also look at what Fosters running backs were able to do when the defense focused on him:

Lewis 103 yards 1 TD
Hamilton 75 Yards and 1 TD
teal 69 Yards

Again, the guy brings more attention from other teams than any other QB!

I appreciate that Jayson Foster had a very good performance. It just wasn't as good as Santos'. Santos had a direct hand in scoring every touchdown (5 of them) against the No. 10 team in the nation. Foster was one of the key ingredients in a great offensive team win over the No. 5 team in the country.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM

Roehl had a great day rushing, but to me most of it came in the first half and down the stretch it was other offensive players that had to pick it up and get the victory. Furthermore, FCS or FBS Minnesota is a terrible team. Hudgins sliced the best pass defense in the SoCon for over his average on the year in catches and receiving yards, while scoring two of Elon's 3 touchdowns. Without Hudgins, I don't think Elon wins that game.

Not to take anything away from Roehl - for sure he had an incredible day, one that NDSU fans can be proud of.

NDSUFREAK
October 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Congrats to Tyler Roehl (a previous CSN Player of the Week) for his Co-Offensive honors from the GWFC! xsmileyclapx

so what then, he couldn't be player of the week for CSN because he was player of the week before?? xconfusedx xconfusedx

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Foster isnt all that....

Oh how wrong you are.

Syntax Error
October 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Foster wasn't even his conference POTW and Roehl was Co-Offensive. You guys make it seem like they are above reproach.

Jacks02
October 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Cory Koenig from SDSU deserves some recognition as well. He carried the ball 21 times for 259 yards and 4 TD's in South Dakota State University's 48-35 win over Cal Poly.

UNHFan99
October 24th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Hofstra coach Dave Cohen, who was the defensive coordinator at Delaware on the night in 2004 Santos began his career, was asked afterward if No. 2 was the best quarterback he's seen this season.

"In my career," Cohen said. "Twenty years. And I gave him his start."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071024/PARENTS/710220329/-1/SPORTS

I think its safe to say Ricky had a great game.

UDBlueLotFan
October 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Santos, -11yrds rushing and UNH wins by 37; unheard of. xconfusedx xeekx ...-11yrds, WOW.

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
The only Qb this week who had a better game then Santos was Tom Brady xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Josh Johnson put up better numbers in only 2 quarters of play. He didn't even play the 2nd half and "He completed 17-of-22 passes for 249 yards and five touchdowns. Johnson added seven carries for 55 yards and a touchdown. The Toreros finished the first half with 380 yards total offense and Johnson was responsible for 304 yards of that total. He also was responsible for six of USD’s eight first-half touchdowns."

Josh Johnson has now thrown 28 TDs and 0 INTS!!!! Plus he has added two scores on the ground.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Josh Johnson put up better numbers in only 2 quarters of play. He didn't even play the 2nd half and "He completed 17-of-22 passes for 249 yards and five touchdowns. Johnson added seven carries for 55 yards and a touchdown. The Toreros finished the first half with 380 yards total offense and Johnson was responsible for 304 yards of that total. He also was responsible for six of USD’s eight first-half touchdowns."

Josh Johnson has now thrown 28 TDs and 0 INTS!!!! Plus he has added two scores on the ground.

... which was not against the No. 10 team in the nation. Next.

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM
... which was not against the No. 10 team in the nation. Next.

From seeing a previous thread in here there are obviously a lot of posters in here that didn't even play FCS/IAA football (yet they talk like they know everything about FCS football from first hand experiance; which sounds more like 2nd and 3rd hand experience to me). I'm not saying you are one of them, but if you did play college ball you would appreciate the numbers that he has put up no matter who he has played.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I suppose you think the No. 10 team in the nation was weak competition? xeyebrowx

Hofstra was elevated a little higher than they should have been. They had a close game against Stony Brook for crying out loud. SB is an ok team, but Hofstra has yet to find a way to score many points. I watched them against Towson and it was a sleeper. Lots of good hits, but some really ineffective drives... kinda like watching the Washington Redskins. Point is, the D has been carrying them, they are good, but they are still a year or two away from returning to the playoff form. Ironically, because of the off-year scheduling, this year might be their best shot at the playoffs (no JMU, UD, or UR in the CAA South).

Most teams, especially from the CAA, that are undefeated more than halfway through the season are going to be in the top 10 and they were still only 10. Now they have fallen back a bit.

Back to my main point - Sure, Santos had another great game. I still worry about GSU's Foster more. That's all.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM
From seeing a previous thread in here there are obviously a lot of posters in here that didn't even play FCS/IAA football (yet they talk like they know everything about FCS football from first hand experiance; which sounds more like 2nd and 3rd hand experience to me). I'm not saying you are one of them, but if you did play college ball you would appreciate the numbers that he has put up no matter who he has played.

Agreed. Dude is a stud and will be suiting up next year in an NFL uniform on Sundays. xnodx

UNHFan99
October 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Josh Johnson put up better numbers in only 2 quarters of play

Ricky only had 4 touchdowns by halftime. We also dont run up the score on teams on purpose. Ricky probably has only played a half in 75% of the games he has played in college. His numbers would be way crazier if he were allowed to pile it on teams. Against Iona in 05 he only played the first drive and we ran it the whole game and won 56-0 on all rushing touchdowns.

Ricky pretty much played 2 quarters and 4 minutes vs the #10 team before his day was over. He was unable to rush and probably told not too because of the condition of his shoulder.