PDA

View Full Version : UD vs Navy

RadMann
October 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
The Naval Academy's game notes have been published for the upcoming Navy vs. Delaware game. As usual UD will bring a lot of fans for the game which is already standing room only tickets left.

The all-time series between the schools is tied at 7 - 7.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/navy/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/Navy-DelawareGameNotes.pdf

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
good luck ud... navy is pretty good this year... win that and you are in even if you lose out... IMO

UDBlueLotFan
October 23rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
App, we won't make the playoffs if we beat Navy and lose out; 7-4 with 6 DI wins xconfusedx xbawlingx Navy is again the top I-A rushing offense in the nation. You won't be able to stop them, but slow them down. Our O has to be executing on all cylinders; don't be conservative. I think Flacco can have a 400 yrd day on this D.xthumbsupx

th0m
October 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
I'm pulling for you guys, but am not getting my hopes up.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
It will have to look like the Pitt game for UD to have a chance... basically score on every possession and hope to stop them once.

That said, I think the Hens match up well. Navy has always had the #1 rushing offense in I-A, but the Hens were able to stop them in 2003 and the defense this year is more like the 2003 version... at least against the rush.

The Hens right now have the #8 rush defense in I-AA giving up 93.3 yards per game. In 2003 they were the #17 rush defense giving up 114.3. Hard to believe, but so far they are on pace with the 2003 team.

Earlier this year the Hens gave up 187 yards on the ground to URI (also a triple option team with a former GSU coach). In 2003 the Hens held URI to 179 yards rushing and then held Navy to 180. Hopefully that trend continues next week. xthumbsupx

FightinBlue
October 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Well I am going. Have good seats!! I hope they can just hang in there. Might get Lucky!! I hope!! xthumbsupx

blueballs
October 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Expect a high scoring game with the winner being the team that minimizes turnovers and wears the other's defense out.

Navy's starting QB went out against Wake after a big hit with a sore neck... does anybody know his status for this week? The backup is a threat running but PJ looks hesitant to utilize the entire playbook with him.

KAUMASS
October 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Go get'm UD. Good luck, I'll be watching on CSTV. xthumbsupx
Navy ran for some good yardage against a very tough UMass defense last year. Your offense will score points , but your d is the key to this game. I would not be surprised if this is a 3-7 point game going into the 4th quarter.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
The backup is a threat running but PJ looks hesitant to utilize the entire playbook with him.
Oddly enough, it was the pass that almost burned the Hens early in 2003. Long TD pass put them up 14-0 before I even got to my seat.

YoUDeeMan
October 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Expect a high scoring game with the winner being the team that minimizes turnovers and wears the other's defense out.

Navy's starting QB went out against Wake after a big hit with a sore neck... does anybody know his status for this week? The backup is a threat running but PJ looks hesitant to utilize the entire playbook with him.

Their regular QB is expected to start.

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Who is this "Navy" the blue hens are playing? Never heard of 'em!

andy7171
October 23rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Who is this "Navy" the blue hens are playing? Never heard of 'em!

I think you have...
http://www.ship-paintings.com/large_images/monitor_and_merrimac.JPG

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
I think you have...

that cheesebox on a raft versus the Mighty C.S.S. Virginia! the same Navy that lost a ship, USS Housatonic, to the BRAVE CREW OF THE CSS HUNLEY?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Andy, you had to go open that box, didn't ya!? ;)

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

andy7171
October 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

If it gets too bad, I could pull the trump card.

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
that cheesebox on a raft versus the Mighty C.S.S. Virginia! the same Navy that lost a ship, USS Housatonic, to the BRAVE CREW OF THE CSS HUNLEY?

Uh, weren't both of those actions "ties"? The Monitor and the Merrimack both sailed away from their encounters and the Hunley went down along with the Housatonic. Apparently overtime had not been instituted back then! :p

buckp
October 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Good luck to the mighty Blue Hens !!!! xnodx

I would love to see them break into the Top 10 in the polls this season!

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Good luck to the mighty Blue Hens !!!! xnodx

I would love to see them break into the Top 10 in the polls this season!

Uh, we are #9 in this week's Sports Network Poll, #8 in the Coaches' Poll, and #10 in the AGS poll. Of course, we lose to Navy and we won't stay there.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
If it gets too bad, I could pull the trump card.
You mean this one?...

http://www.authentichistory.com/civilwar/images/1865_Lees_Surrender_Aftermath.jpg

bluehenbillk
October 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
GO HENS!!! The next 3 weeks really dictate how good we are.

LacesOut
October 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
I think UD can keep it close, especially with their offense. I don't know too much about their D though. And I know nothing about Navy. So basically I have no idea what the heck I'm talking about.

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
You mean this one?...

http://www.authentichistory.com/civilwar/images/1865_Lees_Surrender_Aftermath.jpg

"There is no holier spot than where defeated valor lies, by morning beauty crowned"

Henry Timrod "Memorial Day at Magnolia Cemetary 1866"
Charleston, SC

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
I think you have...

Rep points for you!!!

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Citdog: Fixated on the "battles", because they couldn't win the "war". xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

;)

The United States Navy RULES!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Citdog: Fixated on the "battles", because they couldn't win the "war". xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

;)

The United States Navy are a bunch of swabbie snipe kissers! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

corrected for accuracyxrulesx

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
corrected for accuracyxrulesx

Citdog: Revisionist Historian.xlolx xlolx xlolx

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Citdog: Revisionist Historian.xlolx xlolx xlolx

the only revision is the inserting of the TRUTH to counter the Yankee propaganda that passes for the history of The Late Unpleasantness.

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Navy has been really banged up this year, they still should roll though. Good luck UD!

UMass922
October 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Good luck, Hens. If you lose this one, you might need to win out to make the playoffs. And I'd love to meet you guys there--perhaps in the second round after we beat Fordham and you beat DSU. Okay, I'm getting way ahead of myself here . . . don't want to jinx anything . . . but, well, good luck.

GO DELAWARE! BEAT NAVY!

Go...gate
October 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
This Colgate fan sends best wishes to the Hens to sink the Navy!!

Nebuta
October 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, Good Luck UD. May Flacco get off hot, and Omar keep marching til' pay dirt.

henfan
October 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Good luck, Hens. If you lose this one, you might need to win out to make the playoffs.

Thanks for the good wishes, though UD only will have to win two of the next four to make the playoffs.

bluehenbillk
October 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, though UD only will have to win two of the next four to make the playoffs.

Maybe, henfan, naybe. It's gonna depend on other team's fortune, that's not an automatic this year.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Maybe, henfan, naybe. It's gonna depend on other team's fortune, that's not an automatic this year.

It also depends greatly on who the losses are to - can't afford to lose to JMU and Richmond both. The 3rd place team from the CAA South isn't making the playoffs this year.

WrenFGun
October 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I think this is a pretty big game for UD. Lose this game and they have only 5 D1 wins with matchups against JMU and Richmond left. Is 7 D1 Wins enough to get UD in with this much parity in the CAA? (Particularly since they haven't played anyone of note, yet?)

MR. CHICKEN
October 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
DON'T FO' GET 'NOVA........WHO SCARED DUH SCARLET LETTERAH....OUTTAH UMA$$..........BRAWK!

henfan
October 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Guys, calm down. UD is a stone cold, mortal lock for the playoffs at 8-3. Split and they're in. It's really just that simple. How many 8-3 CAA teams (without a bad D-II loss!) in the last 20 years have been excluded from the playoffs? I like the odds so much that I'm accepting off line wagers for anyone who disagrees.xsmiley_wix

What's not certain is winning any of the four remaining games on the schedule, unfortunately. These are all very good football teams.

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM
How many 8-3 CAA teams (without a bad D-II loss!) in the last 20 years have been excluded from the playoffs?

UConn.. three times.. '95, '89, '86

N'eastern.. '97

URI.. '01

W&M.. '94

WrenFGun
October 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I disagree that UD is a guarantee to get in at 8-3. UNH @ 8-3 would likely be in over UD, and, depending on what happened in the Richmond game, Richmond could get in at 8-3 over UD, too. Hofstra at 9-2 would likely earn a bid over UD at 8-3, too. It's all conjecture, of course, but with that DII and a flimsy schedule so far, it's hard to consider UD as a mortal lock at 8-3, particularly since they would have gone 3-3 in their last 6.

bluehenbillk
October 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'll give you a scenario:

UMass is 8-3 or better, UNH is 8-3 or better & Hofstra goes 9-2. JMU & Navy beat UD to go 8-3 in Newark & the Hens are not in the playoffs because they'll be the 5th team in the CAA.

There's not many teams safe at 8-3. If JMU would lose the next 2 weeks to Richmond & us they're probably done too if UD & UR finish 8-3 or better because the CAA South won't put 3 in without a heckuva lotta help.

UMass could be out at 8-3 if they lose to UNH & Hofstra & UD & JMU finish at 9-2 each, because UMass would be the 3rd team in the North.

It's not fair to say anyone is a lock at 8-3. Depending on the circumstances I may take you up on that bet in the Villanova parking lot on the 17th....

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Navy is irrelevant .. but UD needs to win out in their three remaining CAA games.. Richmond, JMU and @ Nova to guarantee the playoffs.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Agree with the above - there's just no way realistically that the CAA's getting 5 teams into the playoffs - 4 yes, but 5 would require an incredible sequence of events that isn't plausible. UD needs to own the head to head against either JMU or Richmond if they are tied with them and then they can get in at 8-3, but even that's dicey if UNH is 8-3 as they would get in first with the tie-break. You have to win the head to head games and UD needs to go 9-2 or win enough of the head to heads and hope other teams are 8-3 as well.

henfan
October 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
It's not fair to say anyone is a lock at 8-3. Depending on the circumstances I may take you up on that bet in the Villanova parking lot on the 17th....

You're on, though we're both hoping, I'm sure, that the Hens are in a position that we won't have to make that wager.

If the moon and stars align just right and UD doesn't make it at 8-3, a few UD administrators had better be on the lookout for an angry mob with torches & sharp objects paying them a visit because of their love affair with West Chester State University of Pennsylvania.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2007, 11:44 AM
You're on, though we're both hoping, I'm sure, that the Hens are in a position that we won't have to make that wager.

If the moon and stars align just right and UD doesn't make it at 8-3, a few UD administrators had better be on the lookout for an angry mob with torches & sharp objects paying them a visit because of their love affair with West Chester State University of Pennsylvania.

There are still a lot of possibilities of UD not making it at 8-3 that have nothing to do with playing West Chester. Lose to enough of the wrong teams (UNH, JMU, Richmond) and West Chester doesn't matter.

henfan
October 24th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Winning an extra D-I game ALWAYS matters.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I get the feeling Iona is going to start charging more.xlolx xlolx xlolx

bluehenbillk
October 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I agree henfan that I hope we don't have to wager.

I hope the D-2 label on WCU doesn't cost us, not that I'm for continuning that series. Let's be honest, WCU would beat VMI & Iona.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Winning an extra D-I game ALWAYS matters.

If we beat Navy and nova and lose to JMU and Richmond and end up missing the playoffs because those two get in (along with UMass and UNH, the latter who also beat us), and possibly a 9-2 Hofstra, winning an extra DI game would have had absolutely no bearing on the outcome. It doesn't always matter.

UncleSam
October 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
If UD loses at home, to both Richmond and JMU, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Monarch History
October 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
The next few weeks in the CAA ought to be alot of fun. UD vs Navy; JMU vs Richmond; Villanova vs Hofstra; and their scores should give us a better idea of who might be in the PO.

I will be at the W&M vs Massachusetts game on Saturday.

UDBlueLotFan
October 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Look what's happening in the SoCon. App St., with probrably the biggest upset in I-A history, has two conference loses and are on the bubble of not making the playoffs. They lose one more, they're begging the football-gods to get an at-large.

bluehenbillk
October 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
If UD loses at home, to both Richmond and JMU, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Correct & we won't be in.

Nebuta
October 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, if UD doesnt win BOTH games (JMU and Richmond) at the Tub. They don't deserve to be in the playoffs with an 8-3 record. 8-3 leaves it up to the commitee.

BDKJMU
October 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Look what's happening in the SoCon. App St., with probrably the biggest upset in I-A history, has two conference loses and are on the bubble of not making the playoffs. They lose one more, they're begging the football-gods to get an at-large.

Wrong. ASU is the ONLY team from the CAA/Gateway/So-Con that is a lock at 8-3 WITH a Div II on the schedule. That win over Michigan, who's now 5-2, their only other loss coming to top 5 BCS Oregon and 4-0 in the Big 10, 20 in the BCS standings, trumps everything. 8-3 ASU isn't near any type of bubble.

HensRock
October 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
And substituting a Del State win for the WCUPA win does not make it look any better.