PDA

View Full Version : James Madison at Coastal Carolina

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I am looking forward to this weekend and getting the chance to go to the beach during the day followed by what should be a fun football game at night. I think Coastal Carolina will play better in this game than the Chanticleers' previous game at Elon.

rokamortis
September 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I am looking forward to this weekend and getting the chance to go to the beach during the day followed by what should be a fun football game at night. I think Coastal Carolina will play better in this game than the Chanticleers' previous game at Elon.

I hope you are right about us playing better than at Elon .

Should be a great game and atmosphere regardless of outcome for the Chants - looking forward to it.

Coastal89
September 6th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I'm just glad it's football season. Now i've got another reason to drink beer. :D Whatever the outcome I can assure you it won't be as ugly as Citadel @ FSU.

JMU2004
September 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Im thinking it will be in the 31-17 range in favor of the Dukes

ngineer
September 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Im thinking it will be in the 31-17 range in favor of the Dukes

You gonna hafta win by more than that to keep you #1--because I hear Montana is going to beat Oregon, big time (see other thread) :D

bodoyle
September 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM
If Montana beats Oregon........I will be plesantly surprised eventhough I love the atmosphere at Oregon.

Cocky
September 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Let's hope the storm doesn't wreck the party.

We will find out were the Chants rank in I-AA football and the Big South. I can tell you there is a lot of pressure carrying the whole conference flag on your back.

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Article on the game from a Myrtle Beach newspaper:
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/12578212.htm

Interesting Quote:
"They look scary on dadgum film. That [team] they played this past week? They hammered them in the head," Bennett said. "They abused William & Mary and Montana last year. They beat William & Mary like they stole something."

Hopefully tropical system Ophelia will just leave everyone in the southeast alone.
http://intellicast.com/WeatherImg/CustomGraphic/tghur3.gif

IaaScribe
September 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Bennett was in full aw-shucks mode on the Big South conference call yesterday. The man does know how to play to a room (or a teleconference), I'll give him that.

He said that if CCU plays the way they did at Elon, they'll get embarrassed.

rokamortis
September 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM
He said that if CCU plays the way they did at Elon, they'll get embarrassed.

Hell, I could have told ya that ;) We may play better and still get embarrassed.

Dukester
September 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
If we don't play better then we did against Lock Haven - we may not be in the top 25 next week.

We were up 7-0 at the end of the first qtr to a bad Div II school. :eek:

The Gadfly
September 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Future quotes from non-JMU AGS'ers if CCU wins :

"I always thought the Dukes were not that good this year."

"It was in Conway."

"They were distracted by coeds in bikinies."

"Coastal got lucky."

"The Dukes looked passed this week."

I personally think JMU is going to kill us.

JMUfan2008
September 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Future quotes from non-JMU AGS'ers if CCU wins :
"They were distracted by coeds in bikinies."

it's gonna take some mighty hot girls for this to happen...just in case you didn't know jmu is over 60% female and most of them are extremely hot, so we're used to it :)

The Gadfly
September 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
it's gonna take some mighty hot girls for this to happen...just in case you didn't know jmu is over 60% female and most of them are extremely hot, so we're used to it :)

DAMN!

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3978563.htm

No. 1 James Madison (1-0) at Coastal Carolina (1-0), 7:00

While the Dukes have the No. 1 ranking on the line, Coastal Carolina has more at stake as it takes on a playoff-caliber opponent for the first time in program history. The Chanticleers have rolled off an impressive streak with 11 wins in 12 games over the last two seasons, and the third-year program has made waves as a team on the rise. Last week’s 17-10 victory against Elon was unimpressive, but it was the Chanticleers first victory over a team from a playoff conference. Coastal Carolina gets its first shot at a major program, and first chance to earn national respect, with Saturday’s game against the Dukes. James Madison didn’t exactly face the toughest opponent, but the Dukes didn’t appear to lose a step in a 56-0 pasting of Lock Haven. The Chanticleers will have a tough time getting Patrick Hall going on the ground against the JMU defense, so Tyler Thigpen and Jerome Simpson will need to step up to lead the offense. The Coastal Carolina defense is solid, but will have its hands full with the JMU running game and Justin Rascati. James Madison has the better roster, but Coastal Carolina should be extremely fired up to prove themselves against the defending champions. The Chanticleers keep it close until the fourth quarter, but ultimately fall by a touchdown.

Prediction: James Madison 24, Coastal Carolina 17

SuperJon
September 8th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I'll be happy with a JMU 24 Coastal 17 score. I'd rather Coastal win but if we can keep it close and compete I'll be happy.

blur2005
September 8th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Yes, and that is why my 18 years spent in Harrisonburg were incredibly pleasing to the eye. Especially on a nice warm spring day. I'd just ride my bike/drive, depending on my age, and just eye the females. I'm telling you, JMU girls are second to none. UVA actually is really good, too. But it's not JMU.

FlyBoy8
September 8th, 2005, 04:22 AM
JMU 38 Coastal 17

DevilDawg
September 8th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I hope that CCU has a good showing and it's a good game. I would like to see the series continue in the future. CCU is only a 3 hour drive from my house in Jacksonville, NC while JMU is 5.5 hours. I am further upset that I cannot make this game as I am currently deployed to Iraq. I have got to admit that CCU is quite an attractive road trip in September. I wouldn't mind if JMU played at CCU every year.

rokamortis
September 8th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Hey Devil.

1) Thanks for your service to our country.
2) Sorry you can't make it. I'll down an extra cold one in your honor. You JMU guys are pretty cool, I'm glad we've been able to have fun together on the boards as well as with the friendly smack.

Tribe4SF
September 8th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I am further upset that I cannot make this game as I am currently deployed to Iraq.

Thanks for your service, Dawg. Any chance you'll be back by Nov. 5?

JMU Duke Dog
September 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Here is an article I found from Harrisonburg's newspaper.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=518&CHID=3

Coastal: ‘Them’s Men

Both the Coastal Carolina and James Madison football coaches are hyping each other’s teams

By Mike Barber

It’s Media Manipulation 101 and it’s being taught by James Madison football coach Mickey Matthews and his Coastal Carolina counterpart, David Bennett.

Both coaches took turns this week spinning Saturday night’s matchup in Conway, S.C., the way they want the other side to see it.

"Just go to the Bible, man," Bennett said. "David and Goliath. It could be ugly if we play like we did last week. It could be ugly."

Coastal (1-0) beat Elon 17-10 Saturday, scoring the game-winner on 2-yard run with 8:38 to play.

Bennett said his third-year program’s 10-1 record last year was inflated by a weak schedule. The top-ranked Dukes, the reigning Division I-AA national champions, will be the best team Coastal has ever faced, Bennett said.

"We ain’t played none like we about to play," Bennett said. "Them’s men. We got boys going to play men on Saturday."

That’s not the story Matthews was spinning this week, portraying Coastal as a hungry team ready to prove it belongs with the nation’s Division I-AA elite.

"I think they think this is their game," said Matthews. "I don’t think there’s any question this is a game they’ve pointed towards to put themselves on the map. You can imagine what it would do for their program after going 10-1, feeling they got snubbed by the NCAA last year not making the playoffs and now they have the defending national champions coming to town, so they can prove to the NCAA that they should have been in the playoffs.

"I’m sure they’ll be more than mildly motivated to play us."

Matthews compared this game to last year’s Week 2 trip against rugged Atlantic 10 foe Villanova, continuing to beat the "Coastal is dangerous" drum.

"They have won 11 of their last 12 games," Matthews said. "When you win 11 of your last 12 games, you think you’re pretty good no matter who you’re playing."

But Bennett said his Chanticleers didn’t deserve to be in the postseason last year.

"Nope," he said. "Didn’t play the strength of schedule to get in."

The gamesmanship started in the summer, when Matthews requested an exchange of all the teams’ game tapes from last season and the opener from this year. Bennett said he always exchanges two tapes, one from the current season and one from the previous, and that’s what he offered JMU (1-0), which stomped Division II Lock Haven 56-0 in its opener.

Clearly irked by the situation, Matthews brought it up multiple times during his weekly press conference Monday, noting later that Bennett no doubt had plenty of tapes of JMU’s televised playoff run.

"The toughest thing for us is, they wouldn’t exchange film with us," Matthews said. "You usually exchange four to five game tapes, and Coastal Carolina would only exchange one tape with us [from last year]. I guess they have all our game tapes, but we don’t know a lot about them. Our knowledge of them is limited. I guess that’s why they did it."

Bennett said he exchanged no tapes with last week’s opponent, Elon, because Elon had a new coaching staff and Bennett didn’t think he’d gain much from the tapes. He said Matthews wanted to exchange tapes of all the games, but Bennett didn’t know why.

"Look here, they ain’t worried about Coastal Carolina," Bennett said. "I heard Mickey say they want to play non-conference teams they can beat."

Bennett had his own theory as to why Matthews would bring up the tape exchange issue.

"Old Coach is a good one," Bennett said. "He’s looking for motivation for them to come whip our young guys’ butts."

DevilDawg
September 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your service, Dawg. Any chance you'll be back by Nov. 5?

The only chance I'd have to be back by Nov 5th would be unfavorable circumstances. But I'd love to be there. Last year's game under the lights was once of the best times I've ever had. Yes, I like to have fun at the expense of others, but in the sports world, that is unavoidable.

Tribe4SF
September 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
The only chance I'd have to be back by Nov 5th would be unfavorable circumstances. But I'd love to be there. Last year's game under the lights was once of the best times I've ever had. Yes, I like to have fun at the expense of others, but in the sports world, that is unavoidable.

Knowing that, I hope you're not back. Stay safe.

The atmosphere last year was awesome, and one of the best times I've had, even though we lost. The hype is already on for this one. Tickets will be scarce. We set a record for season tickets, and holders will be able to buy 2 more before they're open to the public.

The Gadfly
September 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hoo-rah Devil Dog! I'm guessing you're a Marine? Thank you for your duty but get your ass back here in one piece ASAP. I've got some "Southern Sweet Tea" for ya next season when we visit Harrisburg. I'll keep you in my prayers.

The Gadfly
September 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Only seats left are in the visitors' section. Should be a packed house. :nod:

Dukester
September 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'll be happy with a JMU 24 Coastal 17 score. I'd rather Coastal win but if we can keep it close and compete I'll be happy.

I'll be happy with a 7 point win too. Why not just cancel the game and give JMU a 7 point win and we'll both be happy.

:D

Coastal89
September 8th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I'll be happy with a 7 point win too. Why not just cancel the game and give JMU a 7 point win and we'll both be happy.

Bennett might go for it. He don't want to get his "boys" beat up you know. :D

th0m
September 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I've got some "Southern Sweet Tea" for ya next season when we visit Harrisburg. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Don't wanna be nitpicking, but it's Harrisonburg. ;)

JMU Duke Dog
September 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Only seats left are in the visitors' section. Should be a packed house. :nod:

Will JMU people be able to get any tickets at the gate on Saturday night?

SuperJon
September 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM

We've already bought face paint and I've got tickets. Plus I need something to do Saturday night.

rokamortis
September 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Will JMU people be able to get any tickets at the gate on Saturday night?

If seats are available they won't turn you away just because you are from JMU ;)

But if you are planning to attend and yet to have tickets - call the box office tomorrow ASAP. 1-877-4CHANTS

You may be stuck in the general admission otherwise.

GoGSU
September 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
JMU 47 - Coastal 10

JMU2004
September 8th, 2005, 11:37 PM
JMU 47 - Coastal 10

no way, no how

Coastal hasn't played real competition, but that does not mean that they CAN'T play with real competition.

31-17 JMU