PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-17

JALMOND
October 17th, 2022, 08:46 PM
Believe it or not, we are over half the way through the season and the conference leaders are setting an incredible pace. Idaho came through and got the conference's first big win, a great win at the mighty Montana den. Some jockeying going on earlier, but the conference is setting up with the haves and the have-nots, very similar to how the season started. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Weber State (2)---Last week won at Portland State 42-7, this week at Montana State---The Wildcats avenged a tough home loss last season and picked up a big conference road win. They are flying high, but the schedule is about to get more difficult. They have to make a trip this weekend into Big Sky Country. Every game is big now.

2. Sacramento State (3)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 52-28, this week Montana at home---The Hornets show no signs of slowing down as they are keeping the fast pace with the rest of the conference leaders, getting a good conference road win. Things start to get difficult this weekend, however, with an eager team coming to town.

3. Montana State (4)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 37-14, this week Weber State at home---Were the Bobcats looking past their lowly opponent last week? Doesn't matter as they did wake up after the first quarter and stormed to a good road win. They better wake up early, however, as this weekend's game will be a tussle.

4. Idaho (5)---Last week won at Montana 30-23, this week Portland State at home---News flash to everyone, the Vandals are for real. Winning in Missoula is no easy feat when the Grizzlies are average, but nearly impossible when they are good, yet the Vandals got the win. They can't afford a hangover this weekend with a lesser opponent.

5. Montana (1)---Last week lost to Idaho 30-23 at home, this week at Sacramento State---The Grizzlies were just starting their difficult part of the schedule, but their home mystique did not work in their favor. They start an imposing gauntlet in the schedule with almost no room for error now. They need a win to keep up.

6. UC Davis (6)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 56-27, this week at Northern Colorado---Its not that the Aggies are playing bad, they are actually playing pretty well, but they need some wins to keep up the ferocious pace. They got that last week, beating a lesser opponent at home. They need another, this time on the road.

7. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 52-28, this week at Cal Poly---The mighty Eagles have fallen by the wayside, unable to keep up the blistering pace set by the frontrunners. Their high powered offense cannot keep up with their porous defense. They should get an easy win this week, but nothing is easy at this point.

8. Portland State (8)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 42-7, this week at Idaho---Two wins had the Vikings thinking they could rise up to the upper echelon of the conference, but then they ran into a stout defense that dashed their hopes. Hoping to play spoiler, they are the ones who play the big upstart this weekend.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week lost at UC Davis 56-27, this week at Idaho State---Feeling good after their big road win at Sam Houston early on, the Lumberjacks have been unable to get any sort of consistency and string together some wins. Last week was rough, but they should get a breather this weekend, but they can't take anyone lightly.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 37-14, this week UC Davis at home---The Bears actually played well last weekend against one of the conference leaders and had a lead at the end of the first quarter. Then they got steamrolled and took a tough home loss. They have another shot at playing spoiler at home.

11. Idaho State (12)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 40-31, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Bengals finally broke through and got their first win of the season last week, as they held serve on their home field. After their first taste of winning, they stay home this weekend, hoping to quite possibly get another home win.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost at Idaho State 40-31, this week Eastern Washington at home---Losing the conference's equivalent of a toilet bowl is not what the Mustangs had in mind. It is one thing to lose to the leaders, but it is totally different losing to the basement teams. They have a downtrodden team coming to town this week.

RECAP: 1-6 haves, 7-12 have-nots.

wapiti
October 18th, 2022, 09:33 AM
I missed posting in last weeks power ranking thread due to Antelope season opener. But nothing would have changed from the prior week.
This week there is some changes.
8 Div 1 wins will secure a playoff spot in the Big Sky, 7 will get you good consideration, 6 will need help.

1. Weber (1) - BBQ continues to dominate and will have a test in Bozeman this weekend. Needs 2 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 5 games remaining.
EDIT: Weber has a non-counter win. So BBQ needs 3 more wins

2. Sac State (2) - Solidly beat EWU on the road. Has a bruised griz coming to town this weekend. Needs 2 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 5 games remaining.

3. Montana State (4) - Took care of a pesky UNCU team. Some of the issues from the first 2 games were back. Needs 2 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 4 games remaining.

4. Idaho (5) - UI surprised the Griz in Missoula and move up a spot. Needs 4 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 5 games remaining.

5. Montana (2) - UM drops 3 spots with the loss in Missoula. Needs 3 more wins to secure a playoff spot. 5 games remaining

6. UC Davis (6) - Did what they needed to against a reeling NAU team in Davis. Needs to win 5 games to earn playoff consideration. 5 games remaining.

7. EWU (7) - Was handed another tough loss in Cheney. Needs to win remaining 5 games and have help.

8. PSU (8) - A loss at home is not going to move PSU above EWU. Needs to win remaining 5 games and have help.

9. NAU (9) - NAU does not appear to be improving as the season has progressed. Needs to win remaining 4 games and have help.

10. NC (10) - Kept it close for a half and then was beat up. Needs to win remaining 4 games and have help.

11. ISU (11) - Beat the 12 team in a close fought battle. Out of the playoff picture.

12. CP (12) - Beat on the road by the 11 team. Needs to win remaining 5 games and have help. Beau has to be on the hotseat at the end of this season.

Recap: 1-4 contenders 5 falling back a bit. 6-8 Middle of the pack 9-12 Bottom of the barrel

Catbooster
October 18th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Idaho arguably has the most favorable schedule down the stretch:

vs. Portland State
@ Sac State
vs. EWU
vs. UC Davis
@ Idaho State

No WSU or MSU

MSUBobcat
October 18th, 2022, 11:42 AM

vs. Portland State
@ Sac State
vs. EWU
vs. UC Davis
@ Idaho State

No WSU or MSU

No WSU or MSU, but get 1b on the road (I have Weber as 1a, just slightly ahead of Sac). Extra game vs PSU, whereas MSU has a bye still to go. Home for 2 teams MSU has already dispatched, but still tougher than @NAU and @Poly, IMO. Obviously @Idaho State is easier than hosting UM in the Brawl.

WSU at home slightly more favorable than Sac on the road. Edge MSU.
NAU on the road pretty equal to EWU at home. Draw
Poly on the road more favorable than Davis. Edge MSU
UM at home less favorable than ISU on the road. Edge Idaho.
Bye instead of 5th game. Obvious edge to MSU.

It's close, but I'd take our 4 game stretch over their 5 game stretch. Big Sky championship (or at least a share) likely goes through Bozeman this weekend.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2022, 11:55 AM
1. Weber (1) - Thumped PSU on the road. Stage is set for a battle this weekend in Bozeman.
2. Sac St (2) - Thumped EWU on the road. Sac continues to cruise, but will the Griz take out their frustrations over the UI game against them?
3. MSU (4) - Overcame yet another slow start to run away with it in Greeley.
4. Idaho (5) - In a mildly shocking upset, Idaho continues its resurgence back to relevancy.
5. Montana (3) - In their first test of a decent team, the Griz stub their toe. At home no less. Poooooooor Grizzlies.
6. UC-Davis (6) - Davis's tough slog to start the year has past. Now they should rack up a few victories before ending with 2 tough road tests.
7. EWU (7) - Even though they were beaten badly at home to one of the conference heavyweights... who below them has shown to be better?
8. PSU (8) - Took one on the chin, but can't move down because.... so did those below them, minus the conference Toilet Bowl.
9. ISU-o (11) - Moving up after beating a bad Poly team?? As I've done all year, I'm baking in my prediction for this week into my ranking. At this point, I think the Bengals beat the Jacks in the Quonset.
10. NAU (9) - Davis finally got a weak team on the schedule and took out a lot of frustrations on NAU.
11. UNC (10) - Put up a fight for a quarter (or MSU reverted back to sleeping for 15 minutes; or is it just lulling the opponent to sleep... but I digress). I think NAU beats NoCo in November, so... 11.
12. Poly (12) - Hard to see another victory for the 'Stangs, having lost their best chance last weekend.

1-5 - Playoff contenders; should be 4 berths pretty easily
6 - Run the table, ending with road wins @ Idaho and Sac State, and Aggies still have a berth on their hands. But there is no margin for error. Any loss and they're out unless the bubble is very weak.
7 - Worst season in 17 years or so for the Eags. 7 losses is looking very likely. But... somehow run the table and they salvage yet another season over .500.
8-12 Playing for pride

wapiti
October 19th, 2022, 04:34 PM

vs. Portland State
@ Sac State
vs. EWU
vs. UC Davis
@ Idaho State

No WSU or MSU

I see Idaho favored in 4 of those games. Which by my calculation would have them at 8 Div 1 wins and playoff bound.

Vandal03
October 19th, 2022, 10:05 PM
I see Idaho favored in 4 of those games. Which by my calculation would have them at 8 Div 1 wins and playoff bound.

No matter how not turns out, the excitement of chasing a playoff spot is why I am glad Idaho rejoined the Big Sky.

SeattleCat
October 20th, 2022, 08:53 AM
No matter how not turns out, the excitement of chasing a playoff spot is why I am glad Idaho rejoined the Big Sky.
The Big Sky is glad Idaho is back... Well maybe not the griz anymore.

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2022, 12:41 AM
The Big Sky is glad Idaho is back... Well maybe not the griz anymore.
We hadn't lost to them since 1999 (and didn't play them for 15 years). A lot of the younger fanbase doesn't care at all about easily our 2nd biggest historical rival (and it sure seemed like our team didn't take them as seriously as they took us), so the silver lining for the loss is that it makes things a lot more interesting going forward. A little animosity injected back into things isn't the worst outcome.

All of this is to say I'm bringing a potato the next time they come to Missoula lol

SeattleCat
October 21st, 2022, 12:19 PM
We hadn't lost to them since 1999 (and didn't play them for 15 years). A lot of the younger fanbase doesn't care at all about easily our 2nd biggest historical rival (and it sure seemed like our team didn't take them as seriously as they took us), so the silver lining for the loss is that it makes things a lot more interesting going forward. A little animosity injected back into things isn't the worst outcome.

All of this is to say I'm bringing a potato the next time they come to Missoula lol

Just a small little poke at the grizzlies expense. You understand.

But I agree Idaho is good for the Big Sky, more competition is good. :)

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2022, 02:08 PM
Just a small little poke at the grizzlies expense. You understand.

But I agree Idaho is good for the Big Sky, more competition is good. :)
Getting a lot of pokes from everyone this week, it seems.

Sure hope for everyone’s sake we don’t win tomorrow night. ;)

MSUBobcat
October 21st, 2022, 02:58 PM
Getting a lot of pokes from everyone this week, it seems.

No need to worry about that, my man! :D

All jokes aside, looking forward to watching that game. Should be a good one.

VandalBasher
October 21st, 2022, 04:17 PM
I will be rooting for UM in this game.

Half because I can't stand the new Big Sky members and half I want the system to break in favor of the Vandals.

I will provide emotional support for EWU way before UCD, Cal Poly or UNC.

JALMOND
October 21st, 2022, 04:23 PM

The only way I see a Griz win is if the Hornets wilt under the television spotlight (which is possible, of course).xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2022, 04:36 PM
The only way I see a Griz win is if the Hornets wilt under the television spotlight (which is possible, of course).xthumbsupx
You're probably right. xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2022, 06:07 PM

Unlikely but it is way more dependent on the Griz Oline than them wilting. We have been good in stretches but we have not been able to bulldoze as of yet. 2nd factor is our D front and whether they can get some pressure or do we have to blitz constantly...which does work a lot but I think Sac can exploit us if we do it too much tomorrow night. To put it very simply, we need to do to Sac what Idaho did to us last week.

Catbooster
October 21st, 2022, 06:30 PM
Unlikely but it is way more dependent on the Griz Oline than them wilting. We have been good in stretches but we have not been able to bulldoze as of yet. 2nd factor is our D front and whether they can get some pressure or do we have to blitz constantly...which does work a lot but I think Sac can exploit us if we do it too much tomorrow night. To put it very simply, we need to do to Sac what Idaho did to us last week.
Sac needs a loss, so go ahead and beat them.

Plus it will make Cat/Griz that much better.

Am I allowed to say that?

I hope we can pull it off against Weber - a little worried about our depleted Oline against their always solid Dline.

SeattleCat
October 21st, 2022, 08:22 PM
Sac needs a loss, so go ahead and beat them.

Plus it will make Cat/Griz that much better.

Am I allowed to say that?

I hope we can pull it off against Weber - a little worried about our depleted Oline against their always solid Dline.

Don't forget to use soap.