Pennsylvania Quakers

Most Significant Win:
Idaho Vandals

Most Significant Loss:
Montana Grizzlies

Professor Chaos
October 17th, 2022, 11:51 AM
This week's top 25 article: http://thefcswedge.com/?p=5445

I know with the teams being this close to the ORV it means plenty of people didn't have all 3 of them in their ballot but seeing the Richmond-Elon-URI order #20-#22 made me twitch. Switching around URI and Richmond to respect the head-to-head results between the 3 would've looked a lot better if they're going to be ranked that close in the consensus.

Even though it's better than the awful Coaches Poll I still think the spread in the consensus is way too far between Idaho and Montana. On another Big Sky note Eastern Washington (finally) dropped out of the poll completely so the "ORV hawks" can look for a new critique down there. ;)

New AGS Poll all-time highs this week for Sacramento State (#2), Holy Cross (#6), and Mercer (#9).

atthewbon
October 17th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Here is my ballot...

1: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Sac State Hornets
4: Weber State Wildcats
5: North Dakota State Bison
6: Idaho Vandals
7: Holy Cross Crusaders
8: Mercer Bears
9: Montana Grizzlies
10: William & Mary Tribe
11: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
12: Jackson State Tigers
13: Incarnate Word Cardinals
14: Chattanooga Mocs
15: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
16: Rhode Island Rams
17: Elon Phoenix
18: Southern Illinois Salukis
19: Samford Bulldogs
20: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
21: Richmond Spiders
22: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
23: Princeton Tigers
24: Furman Paladins
25: Fordham Rams

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:05 PM
2: Sac State Hornets
3: Weber State Wildcats
4: Montana State Bobcats
6: Holy Cross Crusaders
7: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: Montana Grizzlies
9: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Mercer Bears
12: William & Mary Tribe
13: Southern Illinois Salukis
14: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
15: Jackson State Tigers
16: Samford Bulldogs
17: Idaho Vandals
18: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
19: Richmond Spiders
20: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
21: Fordham Rams
22: Elon Phoenix
23: Austin Peay Governors
24: New Hampshire Wildcats
25: Rhode Island Rams

POD Knows

The Most Significant Win: Idaho Vandals
The Most Significant Loss: Montana Grizzlies

22 to 25 is a mess, I have NCCU at 26 but it is really a coin flip for all these spots. I am still not completely sold on Idaho because, well, they are Idaho.

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2022, 12:07 PM
13: Southern Illinois Salukis
14: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
15: Jackson State Tigers
17: Idaho Vandals
19: Richmond Spiders
23: Austin Peay Governors
24: New Hampshire Wildcats
25: Rhode Island Rams

POD Knows

22 to 25 is a mess, I have NCCU at 26 but it is really a coin flip for all these spots. I am still not completely sold on Idaho because, well, they are Idaho.

But you're still pretty sold on the Griz because, well, they are the Griz???

Props to AGS for ranking the Bobcats 3rd best from the Big Sky though.

crusader11
October 17th, 2022, 12:08 PM

Bro...

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Bro...

He's far from the only one. The Griz were the consensus #8, by a comfortable margin too.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:11 PM
But you're still pretty sold on the Griz because, well, they are the Griz???Yes, I don't believe in flash in the pan teams, they seldom pan out in the long run. It was a one possession lost to a team that I had ranked in the top 25 in my previous poll, and I not going to simply flip them because of a close H to H loss. This "process" of jumping some team 15 spots because of a one possession win is bull**** in my opinion.

That being said, I think Montana has a real problem going forward and I am somewhat certain, given the schedules, that Idaho could or may jump the Griz at some point in time.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 12:17 PM
He's far from the only one. The Griz were the consensus #8, by a comfortable margin too.

I questioned several people on this exact thing and only one answered which kind of pisses me off that some just ignore the email sent but I did not question POD, he would have responded I am sure but the general thing I think that happened is a lot of ass dragging and not admitting you may have been wrong previously and like I said it's just ass dragging, and lazy IMO. I normally try not to comment too much as I know the work a lot put into it but we used to be better than this I think.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2022, 12:23 PM
10/17/2022 AGS Poll Results

Rank
Team:
Total Points

Montana Grizzlies

Mercer Bears

Chattanooga Mocs

Most Significant Loss:
Montana Grizzlies

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aUNdrIst-sg/WPeF9LvyTLI/AAAAAAAAFFM/q4eD3ezI7XgiYWbwOHFuVLayPizQbhwrQCLcB/s1600/wrong.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 12:31 PM
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aUNdrIst-sg/WPeF9LvyTLI/AAAAAAAAFFM/q4eD3ezI7XgiYWbwOHFuVLayPizQbhwrQCLcB/s1600/wrong.gif

It makes sense, it put us down with the other not very good teams.:D

crusader11
October 17th, 2022, 12:32 PM
I give AGS voters a lot of credit for ranking Jackson State where they do.

A good team (at least, I think), but one that has played absolutely no one. They've even struggled a bit with a couple of the teams they've played. I think they're appropriately ranked in the bottom half of the top 25.

If you were to delete Montana's name from their resume / schedule, they actually might not crack the top 25. Seriously.

This is a team that was probably incorrectly ranked from the outset, but it was difficult to drop them in the rankings when there were no losses. Given that they were just exposed at home, coupled with not having one "good win" this season, I'd have thought that would have been enough to drop them to ~15.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2022, 12:32 PM

https://wgbh.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/ecf412c/2147483647/strip/true/crop/480x337+0+0/resize/700x491!/quality/70/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwgbh-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fef%2F94%2Fbd7650c74e 4aafc397535e3626f8%2Fgiphy-2.gif

Daytripper
October 17th, 2022, 12:34 PM
Yes, I don't believe in flash in the pan teams, they seldom pan out in the long run. It was a one possession lost to a team that I had ranked in the top 25 in my previous poll, and I not going to simply flip them because of a close H to H loss. This "process" of jumping some team 15 spots because of a one possession win is bull**** in my opinion.

That being said, I think Montana has a real problem going forward and I am somewhat certain, given the schedules, that Idaho could or may jump the Griz at some point in time.

I agree with basically all of this. I, too, have Montana still in the Top 10. Time will tell what the future holds.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:34 PM
I questioned several people on this exact thing and only one answered which kind of pisses me off that some just ignore the email sent but I did not question POD, he would have responded I am sure but the general thing I think that happened is a lot of ass dragging and not admitting you may have been wrong previously and like I said it's just ass dragging, and lazy IMO. I normally try not to comment too much as I know the work a lot put into it but we used to be better than this I think.
We can beat this to death all day long. Take a look at the common opponents between NDSU and Montana thrashed both Indiana State and USD, those were tough games for NDSU(NDSU trailed at the half against USD). NDSU has beaten nobody of any significance but the are still ahead of Montana. I have watched a couple Montana games where the looked good and looked like pretty beatable (Idaho State). Montana could extend their losing streak to 3 in a row in the next couple weeks and drop out of the top 25. We will see.

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Yes, I don't believe in flash in the pan teams, they seldom pan out in the long run. It was a one possession lost to a team that I had ranked in the top 25 in my previous poll, and I not going to simply flip them because of a close H to H loss. This "process" of jumping some team 15 spots because of a one possession win is bull**** in my opinion.

I'm not a voter, so I'm not really criticizing, just conversing. A person could have the Griz above Idaho because of perceived "flash in the pan". That's their prerogative. But the resume does nothing to say they're top 10, nor better than Idaho. Their best win is what, Portland State or South Dakota at home? Maybe Indiana State on the road? Add a loss at home to a "flash in the pan" (I think odds are that Idaho will be a much improved program going forward and consistently a contender for a playoff berth).

Luckily, the Griz stand a good chance of losing @ Sac State and the Vandals will pile up a 5th straight FCS win against PSU, and it should rectify itself.

Edit: I do see where you are coming from with the NDSU-UM common opponents argument, but conference foes always play tougher, IMO. There's so much familiarity when you play ever year (or most years, in the case of bigger conferences).

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2022, 12:47 PM
We can beat this to death all day long. Take a look at the common opponents between NDSU and Montana thrashed both Indiana State and USD, those were tough games for NDSU(NDSU trailed at the half against USD). NDSU has beaten nobody of any significance but the are still ahead of Montana. I have watched a couple Montana games where the looked good and looked like pretty beatable (Idaho State). Montana could extend their losing streak to 3 in a row in the next couple weeks and drop out of the top 25. We will see.

Idaho is undefeated in FCS, and NDSU has only lost to the #1 team in the country. I put Idaho over Montana and NDSU at this point.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:48 PM
I give AGS voters a lot of credit for ranking Jackson State where they do.

A good team (at least, I think), but one that has played absolutely no one. They've even struggled a bit with a couple of the teams they've played. I think they're appropriately ranked in the bottom half of the top 25.

If you were to delete Montana's name from their resume / schedule, they actually might not crack the top 25. Seriously.

This is a team that was probably incorrectly ranked from the outset, but it was difficult to drop them in the rankings when there were no losses. Given that they were just exposed at home, coupled with not having one "good win" this season, I'd have thought that would have been enough to drop them to ~15.Neither would NDSU, check out their YTD schedule and they have two losses.

Professor Chaos
October 17th, 2022, 12:50 PM
My crack at it this week:

6: Incarnate Word Cardinals
9: William & Mary Tribe
10: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
11: Idaho Vandals
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Montana Grizzlies
14: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
15: Southern Illinois Salukis
16: Jackson State Tigers
17: Samford Bulldogs
18: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
19: Rhode Island Rams
21: Elon Phoenix
22: Richmond Spiders
23: Fordham Rams
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: Illinois State Redbirds

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:53 PM
I'm not a voter, so I'm not really criticizing, just conversing. A person could have the Griz above Idaho because of perceived "flash in the pan". That's their prerogative. But the resume does nothing to say they're top 10, nor better than Idaho. Their best win is what, Portland State or South Dakota at home? Maybe Indiana State on the road? Add a loss at home to a "flash in the pan" (I think odds are that Idaho will be a much improved program going forward and consistently a contender for a playoff berth).

Luckily, the Griz stand a good chance of losing @ Sac State and the Vandals will pile up a 5th straight FCS win against PSU, and it should rectify itself.

Edit: I do see where you are coming from with the NDSU-UM common opponents argument, but conference foes always play tougher, IMO. There's so much familiarity when you play ever year (or most years, in the case of bigger conferences).
NDSU normally bitch slaps both those teams, the fact is, and I think a couple more weeks will reflect this, that Montana and NDSU are both down this year and both will probably continue to slide in the polls. I predicted on another thread that it would not surprise me if NDSU loses 3 of the remaining games and misses the playoffs. They should not be in the playoffs at 6-5 if that happens. I think people are underestimating how soft this NDSU team really is on defense.

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2022, 12:57 PM
NDSU normally bitch slaps both those teams, the fact is, and I think a couple more weeks will reflect this, that Montana and NDSU are both down this year and both will probably continue to slide in the polls. I predicted on another thread that it would not surprise me if NDSU loses 3 of the remaining games and misses the playoffs. They should not be in the playoffs at 6-5 if that happens. I think people are underestimating how soft this NDSU team really is on defense.

Now you got me all giddy like a school girl getting asked out by her secret crush just thinking about this prospect. I don't even think I can imagine a world where NDSU doesn't make the playoffs. What color is the sky in that world?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Yeah I thought about that too and it has no significance if it is one team, but if it is a couple or more then you have to go with it a little bit or at least consider it is what I should say.

Hell Idaho might end up 2nd best in the conference and be better than both Montana and NDSU by the end but it is real easy that it all could revert back to what we thought too. I'd give it about even odds if I had not just watched it and felt we just did not perform. In the oldern days the Griz always got stronger from Game 7 on but lately it just is not the case and I can't figure out why but this upcoming schedule probably assures Idaho ahead by next week.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Idaho is undefeated in FCS, and NDSU has only lost to the #1 team in the country. I put Idaho over Montana and NDSU at this point.I flat out refuse to move a team 20 freaking spots because of a one possession win, not gonna do it but I am going to make a prediction, given the remaining schedules and how "average" both Montana and NDSU appear to be at this moment in time, it is a real possibility that Idaho jumps both NDSU and Montana down the road.

NDSU's garbage wins over YSU, USD and ISUb are pretty telling in my opinion. Montana's resume is not that much worse.

Houndawg
October 17th, 2022, 12:59 PM

I so hope you are right

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 01:00 PM
Yeah I thought about that too and it has no significance if it is one team, but if it is a couple or more then you have to go with it a little bit or at least consider it is what I should say.

Hell Idaho might end up 2nd best in the conference and be better than both Montana and NDSU by the end but it is real easy that it all could revert back to what we thought too. I'd give it about even odds if I had not just watched it and felt we just did not perform. In the oldern days the Griz always got stronger from Game 7 on but lately it just is not the case and I can't figure out why but this upcoming schedule probably assures Idaho ahead by next week.The game that surprised me with you guys was the Idaho State game and the Bison almost **** the bed against USD and ISUb. We are kind of in the bizarro world here a little bit. I have watched Idaho play, and they look pretty good, particularly on offense. I might have been a week late getting them in my poll and it was directly related to past performance with their program.

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2022, 01:01 PM
I flat out refuse to move a team 20 freaking spots because of a one possession win, not gonna do it but I am going to make a prediction, given the remaining schedules and how "average" both Montana and NDSU appear to be at this moment in time, it is a real possibility that Idaho jumps both NDSU and Montana down the road.

NDSU's garbage wins over YSU, USD and ISUb are pretty telling in my opinion. Montana's resume is not that much worse.

The 5 penalties on SDSU in the first half, were really helping to conceal the holes the Bison currently need to plug on the defense. They were exposed in the 2nd half. There is a stigma about moving teams up the polls rapidly, but sometimes it's justifiable.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM
The game that surprised me with you guys was the Idaho State game and the Bison almost **** the bed against USD and ISUb. We are kind of in the bizarro world here a little bit. I have watched Idaho play, and they look pretty good, particularly on offense. I might have been a week late getting them in my poll and it was directly related to past performance with their program.

That score is deceiving with ID State as is this one for Idaho. Idaho was better than their score looks. They were a complete team. We held the ball for 18 minutes because we were back to the ol' 3 and out Griz. Idaho State would have been 35-6 with 5 min. left if the QB had not fumbled going into the end zone. So, the game plays out the way it does but the Griz were more dominant than it appeared. Less close than it appeared against Idaho though.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM
The 5 penalties on SDSU in the first half, were really helping to conceal the holes the Bison currently need to plug on the defense. They were exposed in the 2nd half. There is a stigma about moving teams up the polls rapidly, but sometimes it's justifiable.I moved Idaho up 8 spots for a one possession win, that, IMHO, is a huge jump and perfectly proportional for this ONE win. Maybe I should have dropped Montana more, that is debatable.

I figured my NH at 24 was my post debatable spot. :D

JALMOND
October 17th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Now you got me all giddy like a school girl getting asked out by her secret crush just thinking about this prospect. I don't even think I can imagine a world where NDSU doesn't make the playoffs. What color is the sky in that world?

It is strange enough not to see NDSU #1 or #2 in any of the polls. It is also like going back in time with Idaho ranked in FCS.

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Here’s mine.

2: Weber State Wildcats
3: Sac State Hornets
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: Samford Bulldogs
10: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
11: Chattanooga Mocs
12: Mercer Bears
13: Idaho Vandals
14: Southern Illinois Salukis
15: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
17: Montana Grizzlies
18: Richmond Spiders
19: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
20: Fordham Rams
21: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Rhode Island Rams
23: Elon Phoenix
25: Southeastern Louisiana Lions

The Most Significant Loss: Elon Phoenix

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2022, 01:24 PM
As bad as we looked, Bashul Tuten ran for over 100 yards on the Bison.

Someone could dominate the LOS against them in the post season.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 01:26 PM
As bad as we looked, Bashul Tuten ran for over 100 yards on the Bison.

Someone could dominate the LOS against them in the post season.Our D line and Lb's have been dominated in every game we have played, don't need to wait for the playoffs for that to happen.

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2022, 01:30 PM
SDSU beating the number 1 and moving into the number 1 is slot voting.

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 01:31 PM
I moved Idaho up 8 spots for a one possession win, that, IMHO, is a huge jump and perfectly proportional for this ONE win. Maybe I should have dropped Montana more, that is debatable.

I figured my NH at 24 was my post debatable spot. :D

You keep saying it was a 1 possession win and technically that’s what it was, but only because of a late Montana TD. Idaho didn’t go in there and squeak out a win, they went in there and completely controlled that game from start to finish. There were very few stretches in that game where they looked even equal, and even fewer where Montana looked better. Nothing flukey about that game, Idaho was flat out better.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2022, 01:35 PM
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: North Dakota State Bison
4: Sac State Hornets
5: Holy Cross Crusaders
6: Weber State Wildcats
7: Chattanooga Mocs
9: Mercer Bears
10: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
11: Samford Bulldogs
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Incarnate Word Cardinals
15: Elon Phoenix
16: Princeton Tigers
17: Jackson State Tigers
20: Southern Illinois Salukis
22: Richmond Spiders
23: Rhode Island Rams
25: North Carolina Central Eagles

Go Lehigh TU owl

The Most Significant Win: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
The Most Significant Loss: Villanova Wildcats
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 01:36 PM
You keep saying it was a 1 possession win and technically that’s what it was, but only because of a late Montana TD. Idaho didn’t go in there and squeak out a win, they went in there and completely controlled that game from start to finish. There were very few stretches in that game where they looked even equal, and even fewer where Montana looked better. Nothing flukey about that game, Idaho was flat out better.It doesn't matter to me, I simply refuse to move somebody 15 or 20 freaking spots for one win, sorry.
And Montana scored with 1:42 left in the game, so they were still in it. The TOP was a huge difference but Idaho only out gained them by 120 yards or so, significant yea, but not Earth shattering.

F'N Hawks
October 17th, 2022, 01:37 PM

Montana isn't down, they are what they are. Not sure why they were ranked so highly to begin with in all polls. Just like Missouri State, no history/roster additions show either of them should've been Top 5.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 01:39 PM
You keep saying it was a 1 possession win and technically that’s what it was, but only because of a late Montana TD. Idaho didn’t go in there and squeak out a win, they went in there and completely controlled that game from start to finish. There were very few stretches in that game where they looked even equal, and even fewer where Montana looked better. Nothing flukey about that game, Idaho was flat out better.

Well, most of that is right but it's also not often (once) that our QB would throw into the arms directly of the opponent. The two scores they went up were gifts from him after an injury where he gifted both possessions back to back inside the 40 yard line I think it was...and ran back. The game is 60 minutes, our last score was fought for and earned as much as anything out there was by Idaho as well so let's keep a proper focus.

They were the better team but the Griz mistakes have not been real typical this season...so far.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Montana isn't down, they are what they are. Not sure why they were ranked so highly to begin with in all polls. Just like Missouri State, no history/roster additions show either of them should've been Top 5.Montana was a 6 seed last year, won one playoff game and lost to the 2nd best team in the country the next game. I agree with you on MoState but they were decent last year and had a lot coming back and looked good early in the year.

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2022, 02:03 PM
SDSU beating the number 1 and moving into the number 1 is slot voting.

If you had NDSU #1 last week. I had SDSU #1 last week.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 02:05 PM
If you had NDSU #1 last week. I had SDSU #1 last week.
Anybody that had NDSU at #1 last week or the week prior was not paying attention.

Professor Chaos
October 17th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Don't get too excited... I think if POD critiqued every team the same way he does NDSU about 4 teams would be better than 6-5. ;)

I flat out refuse to move a team 20 freaking spots because of a one possession win, not gonna do it but I am going to make a prediction, given the remaining schedules and how "average" both Montana and NDSU appear to be at this moment in time, it is a real possibility that Idaho jumps both NDSU and Montana down the road.

I think you're getting too attached to where you had teams at the previous week. Just because you had 20+ spots between Idaho and Montana last week doesn't mean that is the actual difference between the two. You could end up being right and Montana rights the ship and puts up some Ws against some combo of Weber St, Sac St, and Montana St (they play all 3). Similarly you could be right about NDSU and they drop games to SIU, UND, Illinois St, etc but I think you just need to be willing to admit that you had a team underrated/overrated from week to week and not worry about moving them up or down too far.

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2022, 02:32 PM
9: Mercer Bears

https://media.tenor.com/Q7-3eykr4B8AAAAC/so-close.gif

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 03:18 PM
5: Mercer Bears
6: North Dakota State Bison
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: Incarnate Word Cardinals
10: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
11: Idaho Vandals
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: Samford Bulldogs
14: Richmond Spiders
15: Chattanooga Mocs
17: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
18: Southern Illinois Salukis
19: Furman Paladins
20: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
21: Rhode Island Rams
23: Fordham Rams
24: Princeton Tigers
25: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

Caribbeanhen

Preferred Walk-On
October 17th, 2022, 03:23 PM
My crack at it. And BTW, SDSU has been my #1 for 4 weeks now. That said, I am not sure they are any better than NDSU. Nor am I sure that Sac State or Weber State are either...they just didn't lose this weekend. I'd put NDSU's talent up against anyone...anyone. Their execution, discipline, and situational football, another story completely...and I would put that up against no one.

----------

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/16/2022 10:20:38

Your vote is listed below.

4: North Dakota State Bison
5: Montana State Bobcats
6: Mercer Bears
8: Idaho Vandals
9: Holy Cross Crusaders
10: Montana Grizzlies
12: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
13: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
15: Richmond Spiders
18: William & Mary Tribe
19: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
20: Jackson State Tigers
21: Samford Bulldogs
22: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
23: Furman Paladins
24: Campbell Fighting Camels
25: Princeton Tigers

Preferred Walk-On

Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 03:30 PM
My crack at it. And BTW, SDSU has been my #1 for 4 weeks now. That said, I am not sure they are any better than NDSU. Nor am I sure that Sac State or Weber State are either...they just didn't lose this weekend. I'd put NDSU's talent up against anyone...anyone. Their execution, discipline, and situational football, another story completely...and I would put that up against no one.

----------

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

Preferred Walk-On

Well Delaware did go on the road and curb stomp Rhode Island by 21, the actual game wasn’t even that close

most significant loss Villanova?? I’ve been trying to tell everybody they were going to lose that game Richmond is much better

BearDownMU
October 17th, 2022, 03:39 PM
This is why pre-season polls always have and always will be stupid. It's ranking based on what people THINK a football team will be, not what they actually are, and that perception based on no actual playing of games colors every ranking every week from that point forward. Flat out, there are teams that sit high in polls, get into playoffs, etc., because of their brand, their historical "goodness", or what conference they're in, rather than taking the names and conference affiliations away and just looking at on-field results.

Someone said they couldn't move someone 15 spots because of one game. Why not? This weeks poll should be indicative of what you know right now. Someone else said they don't want to move a team that far because they might be a "flash in the pan". Why not? If that team turns out to be a fraud, just move them way down or off. The fact that people are even having to justify why teams fell or rose so far is so dumb, particularly at this point in the season. These things might actually make sense if people just put teams in a rank based on their results RIGHT NOW. Not what they think they are going to be next week and certainly not what they thought they were going to be before the season even started.

Just one humble man's opinion.

Preferred Walk-On
October 17th, 2022, 03:40 PM
Well Delaware did go on the road and curb stomp Rhode Island by 21, the actual game wasn’t even that close

most significant loss Villanova?? I’ve been trying to tell everybody they were going to lose that game Richmond is much better

Yep, Week 3. What week are we on now? Also, now arrange the other three CAAs around them using the logic above. I do appreciate that challenge, so I am happy that this is really what you decided to pick on.

The significance of the Villanova loss was not in whether or not they were expected to lose, as they have been in and out of my Top 25 (usually 20 or lower). The significance was that "playoffs-go-bye-bye" (assuming that Delaware and W&M don't s*** the bed near the end of the season). Keep your fingers crossed.

Also, I prefer MTfan4life's use of the word "slaughtered" to the phrase "curb stomp".

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2022, 03:52 PM
This is why pre-season polls always have and always will be stupid. It's ranking based on what people THINK a football team will be, not what they actually are, and that perception based on no actual playing of games colors every ranking every week from that point forward. Flat out, there are teams that sit high in polls, get into playoffs, etc., because of their brand, their historical "goodness", or what conference they're in, rather than taking the names and conference affiliations away and just looking at on-field results.

Someone said they couldn't move someone 15 spots because of one game. Why not? This weeks poll should be indicative of what you know right now. Someone else said they don't want to move a team that far because they might be a "flash in the pan". Why not? If that team turns out to be a fraud, just move them way down or off. The fact that people are even having to justify why teams fell or rose so far is so dumb, particularly at this point in the season. These things might actually make sense if people just put teams in a rank based on their results RIGHT NOW. Not what they think they are going to be next week and certainly not what they thought they were going to be before the season even started.

Pre-season/early season polls are only stupid because of your second paragraph. As long as you aren't married to your preconceived notions about teams and readily admit that you initial assessment may have been flawed, these polls are fine. By now though, one should easily be able to move a team 15 spots if you've been over/underrating them all year.

Christiank22
October 17th, 2022, 04:07 PM

----------

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

Preferred Walk-On

We will not win another national title with Matt Entz as head coach. The dude is clueless. NDSU is bad this year because we have no coach. I’ve been saying it since the AZ loss but no one believed me then

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2022, 04:08 PM
I brought in Idaho in at 15. I was underaware that Vandals were undefeated vs FCS and their two losses were P5 FBS. Know Eck is good coach, but didn't expect such results in his 1st year.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
October 17th, 2022, 04:22 PM
I brought in Idaho in at 15. I was underaware that Vandals were undefeated vs FCS and their two losses were P5 FBS. Know Eck is good coach, but didn't expect such results in his 1st year.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Similar with me. I jumped the from out of the poll to 12.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 04:24 PM

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using TapatalkDrake, NAU, Northern Colorado and Montana, that is who they have beat in FCS, and this is the FCS record that is getting everybody all wet here. Give me a break.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 04:26 PM
Yep, Week 3. What week are we on now? Also, now arrange the other three CAAs around them using the logic above. I do appreciate that challenge, so I am happy that this is really what you decided to pick on.

The significance of the Villanova loss was not in whether or not they were expected to lose, as they have been in and out of my Top 25 (usually 20 or lower). The significance was that "playoffs-go-bye-bye" (assuming that Delaware and W&M don't s*** the bed near the end of the season). Keep your fingers crossed.

Also, I prefer MTfan4life's use of the word "slaughtered" to the phrase "curb stomp".

No ...not picking on you at all Charlie Brown, I actually have always liked you.

Week three.... OK five weeks ago, all those North Dakota St national championships happened long ago, do they still count? Twisted logic I know but if Somebody gets ‘slaughtered” they’re not well enough to jump you in the polls just yet. I mean is your poll more important than the actual game?

As soon as Villanova lost to Monmouth everybody should’ve known their playoff chances were mugged, that just wasn’t revealed last Saturday ... ask GT

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 04:33 PM
Drake, NAU, Northern Colorado and Montana, that is who they have beat in FCS, and this is the FCS record that is getting everybody all wet here. Give me a break.

Montana hasn't beaten anyone either.

POD Knows
October 17th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Montana hasn't beaten anyone either.Neither has NDSU and I am not the one that thinks a single victory justifies 15 or 20+ jump in a poll

Preferred Walk-On
October 17th, 2022, 04:53 PM
No ...not picking on you at all Charlie Brown, I actually have always liked you.

Week three.... OK five weeks ago, all those North Dakota St national championships happened long ago, do they still count? Twisted logic I know but if Somebody gets ‘slaughtered” they’re not well enough to jump you in the polls just yet. I mean is your poll more important than the actual game?

As soon as Villanova lost to Monmouth everybody should’ve known their playoff chances were mugged, that just wasn’t revealed last Saturday ... ask GT

Hey, no worries. Don't have to go to my safe space just yet...

My poll:
15. Richmond
16. Rhode Island
17. Elon
18. William & Mary
19. Delaware

Your poll:
8. William & Mary
10. Delaware
14. Richmond
21. Rhode Island
22. Elon

Records against each other:
Elon 2-1
Rhode Island 1-1
Delaware 1-1
William & Mary 1-1
Richmond 0-1

Elon had beaten William & Mary and Richmond in Weeks 4 and 5, respectively. The last Delaware win against any of these teams was Week 3, with a loss to William & Mary in Week 6 (just 9 days ago). Rhode Island beat Elon just 2 days ago. Are we ranking where teams were in Week 3 or in Week 7? Again, Elon's most recent wins were in weeks that occurred more recently than Delaware's one win amongst these matchups. So I ask, even though the score margin was the most in the matchup you mentioned, is it really indicative of today (or I guess, Saturday)? Frankly, you should probably be more appalled by the fact that I ranked all 5 CAA teams 15-19 with nobody in between. I cannot see how you can clearly distinguish these teams, such that you rank them 14 spots apart from each other with specific other teams in between, given the data. Thoughts?

I will admit that looking at this in this way makes me think that I should not have Richmond leading the pack, but both they and Rhode Island beat Elon, and I thought Richmond's body of work was slightly better than Rhode Island's (which you seem to agree with, extrapolating from your poll). I only have them one spot apart...you, seven spots. But if scores and outcomes matter, then how do you have William & Mary and Elon 14 spots apart (Reminder: Elon won that contest...@ W&M). xconfusedx

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Neither has NDSU and I am not the one that thinks a single victory justifies 15 or 20+ jump in a poll

I agree that 15 to 20 spot jump is probably pretty extreme, but if you didn't have Idaho ranked last week and jumped them in at 13 or 14 (which is about where I have them) that's a 11 or 12 spot jump which isn't all that bad. But my point was more that Montana should drop more than 4 or 5 spots because they haven't beaten anyone of significance and they were likely overrated to begin with, a 10-12 spot drop isn't too extreme.

TheKingpin28
October 17th, 2022, 05:17 PM
I screwed up and had Holy Cross at 6 on my document but I never translated it to the poll and I feel like an idiot. HC should be at 6 in this and everyone else moved down one from there:

9: Idaho Vandals
12: Samford Bulldogs
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
17: Richmond Spiders
20: Rhode Island Rams
22: Fordham Rams
24: Villanova Wildcats
25: New Hampshire Wildcats

Had I had HC at 6, I was only off by more than 3 on Idaho and Montana.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 05:57 PM
I screwed up and had Holy Cross at 6 on my document but I never translated it to the poll and I feel like an idiot. HC should be at 6 in this and everyone else moved down one from there:

9: Idaho Vandals
12: Samford Bulldogs
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
17: Richmond Spiders
20: Rhode Island Rams
22: Fordham Rams
24: Villanova Wildcats
25: New Hampshire Wildcats

Had I had HC at 6, I was only off by more than 3 on Idaho and Montana.

That's why getting back to ol' ursus before a poll closes would be nice. I looked at your previous week and I put HC in at #9 and moved everyone down one spot. You will get a corrected ballot when I have quota replenished for new emails on the poll. You are not what I was talking about before

mvemjsunpx
October 17th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. South Dakota St. (1)
2. Sacramento St. (2)
3. Weber St. (3)
4. Montana St. (4)
5. Holy Cross (7)
6. Incarnate Word (9)
7. Jackson St. (8)
8. Mercer (10)
9. Tennessee-Chattanooga (11)
10. Southeast Missouri St. (12)
11. Southern Illinois (13)
12. Idaho (NR)
13. North Dakota St. (6)
14. Montana (5)
15. Elon (14)
16. William & Mary (15)
17. Delaware (16)
18. Rhode Island (NR)
19. Richmond (17)
20. North Dakota (18)
21. Fordham (19)
22. Samford (21)
23. Missouri St. (22)
24. Tennessee-Martin (23)
25. Southeastern Louisiana (NR)

Dropped - Monmouth (20), Austin Peay (24), Eastern Kentucky (25)

W - Idaho
L - Montana

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Hey, no worries. Don't have to go to my safe space just yet...

My poll:
15. Richmond
16. Rhode Island
17. Elon
18. William & Mary
19. Delaware

Your poll:
8. William & Mary
10. Delaware
14. Richmond
21. Rhode Island
22. Elon

Records against each other:
Elon 2-1
Rhode Island 1-1
Delaware 1-1
William & Mary 1-1
Richmond 0-1

Elon had beaten William & Mary and Richmond in Weeks 4 and 5, respectively. The last Delaware win against any of these teams was Week 3, with a loss to William & Mary in Week 6 (just 9 days ago). Rhode Island beat Elon just 2 days ago. Are we ranking where teams were in Week 3 or in Week 7? Again, Elon's most recent wins were in weeks that occurred more recently than Delaware's one win amongst these matchups. So I ask, even though the score margin was the most in the matchup you mentioned, is it really indicative of today (or I guess, Saturday)? Frankly, you should probably be more appalled by the fact that I ranked all 5 CAA teams 15-19 with nobody in between. I cannot see how you can clearly distinguish these teams, such that you rank them 14 spots apart from each other with specific other teams in between, given the data. Thoughts?

I will admit that looking at this in this way makes me think that I should not have Richmond leading the pack, but both they and Rhode Island beat Elon, and I thought Richmond's body of work was slightly better than Rhode Island's (which you seem to agree with, extrapolating from your poll). I only have them one spot apart...you, seven spots. But if scores and outcomes matter, then how do you have William & Mary and Elon 14 spots apart (Reminder: Elon won that contest...@ W&M). xconfusedx

I don’t have the energy to digest all that, but just keeping things simple ....Delaware is better than Rhode Island, The actual game left no way to mistake that.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 06:24 PM
15. Elon (14)
16. William & Mary (15)
17. Delaware (16)
18. Rhode Island (NR)
19. Richmond (17)

There is a word for this...

Bias ?

and you did not include the CAA leader New Hampshire

mvemjsunpx
October 17th, 2022, 06:32 PM
15. Elon (14)
16. William & Mary (15)
17. Delaware (16)
18. Rhode Island (NR)
19. Richmond (17)

There is a word for this...

Bias ? What does this even mean?

and you did not include the CAA leader New Hampshire

UNH got handled by NC Central and hasn't played any of the 5 listed above.

Professor Chaos
October 17th, 2022, 06:53 PM

Preseason polls are entertainment and good discussion starters. They shouldn't be anything more than that. I'm pretty confident that (in the AGS Poll at least) by the end of the season there is essentially no impact from preseason expectations.

I've heard the argument plenty of times that polls shouldn't start until week 5 or week 8 or whenever but think our consensus polls by week 5 or week 8 are better because we started voting, and more importantly started discussing the merits of our voting, in the preseason and continued each week. I think if you waited until later in the season you'd get biases as well like recency bias where the early season games that happened before voting started would be underweighted.

Preferred Walk-On
October 17th, 2022, 07:14 PM
I don’t have the energy to digest all that, but just keeping things simple ....Delaware is better than Rhode Island, The actual game left no way to mistake that.

We'll have to agree to disagree, although I will acknowledge you should have a better idea about Delaware than I.

But "maybe I'm amazed at the way" you did Elon, after beating both W&M and Richmond. Just didn't quite get that.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 07:24 PM
What does this even mean?

UNH got handled by NC Central and hasn't played any of the 5 listed above.

it means you probably haven’t watched a CAA game all year or were singing the alphabet when working on your poll

5 in a row? Really

a few of your A B Cs belong a little higher

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 07:29 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree, although I will acknowledge you should have a better idea about Delaware than I.

But "maybe I'm amazed at the way" you did Elon, after beating both W&M and Richmond. Just didn't quite get that.

you make a great point, I’ll try to do better and the lyrics put you at the top of the charts !!!

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 08:17 PM
it means you probably haven’t watched a CAA game all year or were singing the alphabet when working on your poll

5 in a row? Really

a few of your A B Cs belong a little higher

Yeah that's weird to have so many teams from one conference in a row. When I get 3 in a row I feel I have to throw someone else in there to break them up.

uofmman1122
October 17th, 2022, 08:36 PM
Yeah that's weird to have so many teams from one conference in a row. When I get 3 in a row I feel I have to throw someone else in there to break them up.
This sounds like a worse strategy than simply putting the teams where you think they belong lol

Chalupa Batman
October 17th, 2022, 09:08 PM
This sounds like a worse strategy than simply putting the teams where you think they belong lol

It hasn't happened often, and I wouldn't break them up just to break them up. I worded it poorly too, but it makes me think why I have the teams bunched together the way I do. Most likely it's because I was so focused on how to rank those 3, 4, or 5 teams amongst each other that they drifted together in the poll. Maybe they deserve to stay that way and maybe they don't, but I'll take a look at the teams bunched together and the teams I have around them to see if they should stay that way.

mvemjsunpx
October 17th, 2022, 10:39 PM

The top of the CAA is a cluster****.

Elon just lost, but they're the only team that has a winning record against the other 4 in that group (Elon 2-1, W&M/Delaware/URI 1-1, Richmond 0-1). As a result, I didn't think Elon should fall below W&M/Delaware despite the URI result. URI also looks the weakest of the 1-1 group because Delaware beat them convincingly.

I guess you could make an argument for putting NDSU/Montana somewhere in the middle of that cluster, but that's the only alteration I would even consider there. I think all 5 of those CAA teams have better resumés than NoDak, Fordham, etc.

Catatonic
October 18th, 2022, 11:34 AM

I’ll quote Lawrence Smith, who has a very different view

“Idaho is undefeated against the FCS, 3-0 in conference, and has the 11th toughest SOS to this point… and is ranked a full 10 spots below the team they just beat on the road. (Montana #60 SOS)”

atthewbon
October 18th, 2022, 11:40 AM

“Idaho is undefeated against the FCS, 3-0 in conference, and has the 11th toughest SOS to this point… and is ranked a full 10 spots below the team they just beat on the road. (Montana #60 SOS)”

I had Idaho above Montana in my poll. But to be fair, the reason Idaho's SOS is so tough is because of those two fbs losses so I don't think its fair to not look at those losses if you're looking at SOS.

POD Knows
October 18th, 2022, 11:46 AM

Their FCS SOS is not good, it is skewed by the FBS losses.

clenz
October 18th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Missouri State is 2 and ****ing 4 and 0 and damn 3 in conference play.

They are literally the last place Valley team

Stop ****ing slot voting

Houndawg
October 19th, 2022, 07:01 AM
It is strange enough not to see NDSU #1 or #2 in any of the polls. It is also like going back in time with Idaho ranked in FCS.

Reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated

Daytripper
October 19th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated

If they don't beat somebody to death this weekend I may drop them out of my poll completely...xsmiley_wix

POD Knows
October 19th, 2022, 09:15 AM
If they don't beat somebody to death this weekend I may drop them out of my poll completely...xsmiley_wix
They don’t play this weekend. It is a bye weekend. They play ISUR in their next game. They could easily lose that game.

Preferred Walk-On
October 19th, 2022, 09:16 AM

Well, the standard appears to be "they haven't really done anything", regardless of whether more difficult matchups are in the back half of a team's schedule, so you would be perfectly within your right to drop them (and maybe should). Unfortunately, I am not sure they will be able to beat UIdle (or is it Idle State?) to death this weekend, so they'll definitely have to "earn their way back" into your poll. ;)

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Well, the standard appears to be "they haven't really done anything", regardless of whether more difficult matchups are in the back half of a team's schedule, so you would be perfectly within your right to drop them (and maybe should). Unfortunately, I am not sure they will be able to beat UIdle (or is it Idle State?) to death this weekend, so they'll definitely have to "earn their way back" into your poll. ;)It’s the…

Open University Fightin’ Dates

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0066/4915/1546/products/medjoul_1200x1200.jpg?v=1610995286

Preferred Walk-On
October 19th, 2022, 01:26 PM
It’s the…

Open University Fightin’ Dates

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0066/4915/1546/products/medjoul_1200x1200.jpg?v=1610995286

I wonder which team would have the best name with "Fightin'" or "Fighting" placed in front of the team name. Would the Fighting Camels still win this category?

taper
October 19th, 2022, 02:02 PM
I wonder which team would have the best name with "Fightin'" or "Fighting" placed in front of the team name. Would the Fighting Camels still win this category?

Penn Fighting Quakers.

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 02:04 PM
“Elon College Fightin’ Christians” will always be #1 in FUBeAR’s heart. So much better than their current “Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians” moniker.

Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs need their own category it seems.

But to your specific wonderin’…the only answer is the University of Pennsylvania Fightin’ Quakers

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 02:05 PM
Penn Fighting Quakers.
See you beat FUBeAR to the punch….

….but great minds…y’know

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Fightin Blue Hens

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2022, 02:29 PM
I nominate Jacksonville State.

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Fightin Blue Hens
No.

That’s like Fightin’ Pit Bulls.

Chicken fighting is an actual thing … https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fight

Gil Dobie
October 19th, 2022, 03:52 PM
Far and away winner is Fighting Okra, unofficial nickname of Delta St, but still the best.

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Far and away winner is Fighting Okra, unofficial nickname of Delta St, but still the best.
That’s a good one…
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/2b/31/542b31211653d1534c54dda5b03b38e6--best-colleges-the-fighting.jpg

SpreadTheWord
October 20th, 2022, 08:35 AM
Here's my top 25 poll. For some reason I've been getting it emailed back to me 2 days after I submit the poll. Looks like I got the same top 25 teams as the AGS poll, just a few teams shuffled around here and there.

Hello SpreadTheWord,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/17/2022 8:45:04

12: Idaho Vandals
17: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
18: Elon Phoenix
22: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
23: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

SpreadTheWord

Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Southland Conference

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Here's my top 25 poll. For some reason I've been getting it emailed back to me 2 days after I submit the poll. Looks like I got the same top 25 teams as the AGS poll, just a few teams shuffled around here and there.

Hello SpreadTheWord,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/17/2022 8:45:04

12: Idaho Vandals
17: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
18: Elon Phoenix
22: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
23: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

SpreadTheWord

Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Southland Conference

bias is not your thing! Best poll I remember seeing this week

SpreadTheWord
October 20th, 2022, 09:28 AM
bias is not your thing! Best poll I remember seeing this week

Gracias!

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 01:03 AM
It ain't over yet, but I guess Montana isn't as bad as everyone said, thinks they are. Or is Sac St worse? Lots of people poo pooing the Griz this past week, but they look pretty good tonight and will probably hang on. I never bought into the "they are not a top 10 team" evaluation folks were throwing out. Good game.

Maybe I jinxed it and was a bit premature.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2022, 02:01 AM
It ain't over yet, but I guess Montana isn't as bad as everyone said, thinks they are. Or is Sac St worse? Lots of people poo pooing the Griz this past week, but they look pretty good tonight and will probably hang on. I never bought into the "they are not a top 10 team" evaluation folks were throwing out. Good game.

Montana might be a T10 in actuality but if Sac St. is #2 and I believe they could be #1, I still think Idaho might be a bit better as a team but Sac just has a ton of weapons that are a cut above what most have right now.

uofmman1122
October 23rd, 2022, 02:02 AM
Thanks, jerk.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2022, 10:07 AM
Thanks, jerk.

Sorry.
😔