PDA

View Full Version : The L streak continues for Wagner…

Alzee77
October 16th, 2022, 11:09 AM
…0-25 plus (I lost count). Another bad lost within conference against Merrimack yesterday. Had the lead going into halftime and gave up 42 points…a common theme this season - cannot close. As a player parent, would like to hear some opinions on the team and coaching staff. We already have the FCS losing streak record and there is no end in sight [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crusader11
October 16th, 2022, 11:27 AM
It wasn’t long ago this program won a game in the playoffs and went out to Eastern Washington and nearly beat them (think that was the round of 16?).

Alzee77
October 16th, 2022, 11:32 AM
That was in 2012, ten years ago…

SFA 93
October 16th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Conference Champions in 2012 and 2014

Division III National Champions in 1987

crusader11
October 16th, 2022, 11:44 AM

Jeez, where does the time go? You’re right.

Well problem number one is your head coach. Tom Masella, the guy who fizzled out at Fordham and very clearly is over the hill, should never been hired.

Who were the other candidates back in 2019?

WileECoyote06
October 16th, 2022, 01:25 PM
You’ve still got Four seasons to go to match prairie view’s streak. xsmiley_wix

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2022, 01:33 PM
This week: LIU (0-5) at Wagner (0-5).

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2022, 02:18 PM

I remember seeing that Eastern Washington score and was like whoa! Long time ago from Russo and Hamline at Wagner. We got Russo after he turned the then D3 Seahawks around. 1980 November hire.

Alzee77
October 16th, 2022, 02:27 PM

…who wants it more ?

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 02:49 PM

man that’s some of New York Cities finest right there, I’ll take CW Post

bonarae
October 16th, 2022, 05:12 PM
This begs the worse part of the question: who holds the FCS' longest losing streak, even if it was in the past? xchinscratchx

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2022, 05:16 PM
This begs the worse part of the question: who holds the FCS' longest losing streak, even if it was in the past? xchinscratchx

Prairie View A&M: 0-80.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/8/12803480/prairie-view-am-football-losing-streak-sturdy-program

UNHWildcat18
October 16th, 2022, 06:33 PM
I really wonder if Wagner will keep football if they decide to go to the MAAC. Their stadium is tiny, just fine for LAX/Soccer/Field Hockey.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2022, 09:02 PM
It wasn’t long ago this program won a game in the playoffs and went out to Eastern Washington and nearly beat them (think that was the round of 16?).

Yes, they beat a good Colgate team in the first round. What happened?

Go...gate
October 16th, 2022, 09:05 PM
I recall that at some point they were also interested in joining the Patriot League for football.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2022, 09:28 PM
Wagner is coached by former Fordham head coach Tom Masella. He is 0-19 in his third season.

The Seahawks have only four home games this season, and has played the last three on the road.

Panther88
October 16th, 2022, 09:45 PM
You’ve still got Four seasons to go to match prairie view’s streak. xsmiley_wix

We will forever hold that record unless another team follows our path and offers zero football scholarships and minutely compensated 1st year coaches. We had club teams for well into year #10.

JSUSoutherner
October 16th, 2022, 10:05 PM
They got a couple more games until they match Austin Peay's 29 game losing streak from 5 years ago.

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2022, 08:02 AM
I find this stat somewhat surprising and expect Wagner to win a game this year.

As posted by others, Wagner has won a NEC Championship and a First Round FCS Playoff game in the not-too-distant past (2012).

Massella is definitely struggling, but I remember when he came to CCSU as head coach and won 2 back-to-back NEC Championships (2004, 2005) and beat PL Champ Colgate during our "limited Grant-in-aid era" in his only 2 seasons at Central and then immediately then left for the Fordham job.

It certainly doesn't help that Wagner is one of the smallest FCS programs by enrollment and they have regularly played 2 FBS games per season.

FCS Programs by Enrollment:

Mississippi Valley State University (1,222)
Saint Francis University (1,468)
Wagner College (1,588)
Virginia Military Institute (1,698)
Gardner-Webb University (1,726)
Wofford College (1,753)
South Carolina State University (1,781)
Davidson College (1,979)
Houston Baptist University (2,146)
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (2,158)

Wagner vs. FBS:

2022 - at Rutgers (BigTen); at Syracuse (ACC)

2021 - at Buffalo (MAC); at Temple (AAC)
2020 – COVID
2019 - at Connecticut (AAC); Florida Atlantic (C-USA)
2018 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2017 - at Western Michigan (MAC)
2016 - at Boston College (ACC); at Massachusetts (Ind)
2015 - at Rice (C-USA); at Brigham Young (Ind)
2014 - at Florida International (C-USA)
2013 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2012 - at Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt)

Right now the Seahawks have 3 FBS games scheduled for 2023 (Navy, Kent State, and Toledo)

crusader11
October 17th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Right now the Seahawks have 3 FBS games scheduled for 2023 (Navy, Kent State, and Toledo)

They need to keep the program afloat somehow.

ElCid
October 17th, 2022, 08:37 AM
I find this stat somewhat surprising and expect Wagner to win a game this year.

As posted by others, Wagner has won a NEC Championship and a First Round FCS Playoff game in the not-too-distant past (2012).

Massella is definitely struggling, but I remember when he came to CCSU as head coach and won 2 back-to-back NEC Championships (2004, 2005) and beat PL Champ Colgate during our "limited Grant-in-aid era" in his only 2 seasons at Central and then immediately then left for the Fordham job.

It certainly doesn't help that Wagner is one of the smallest FCS programs by enrollment and they have regularly played 2 FBS games per season.

FCS Programs by Enrollment:

Mississippi Valley State University (1,222)
Saint Francis University (1,468)
Wagner College (1,588)
Virginia Military Institute (1,698)
Gardner-Webb University (1,726)
Wofford College (1,753)
South Carolina State University (1,781)
Davidson College (1,979)
Houston Baptist University (2,146)
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (2,158)

Wagner vs. FBS:

2022 - at Rutgers (BigTen); at Syracuse (ACC)

2021 - at Buffalo (MAC); at Temple (AAC)
2020 – COVID
2019 - at Connecticut (AAC); Florida Atlantic (C-USA)
2018 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2017 - at Western Michigan (MAC)
2016 - at Boston College (ACC); at Massachusetts (Ind)
2015 - at Rice (C-USA); at Brigham Young (Ind)
2014 - at Florida International (C-USA)
2013 - at Syracuse (ACC)
2012 - at Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt)

Maybe they are trying to boost funding for their program with all these FBS. Fairly small endowment as well for a private school. Maybe it is their location. Not sure what their historic enrollment has been, but it might be hard to recruit. Last winning record was in 2016. Virus probably accelerated their downturn.

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2022, 08:47 AM
They need to keep the program afloat somehow.

Yep, this a $$$ grab to keep the program running. And they have a head coach (local legend, born and raised on Staten Island) that is probably behind the times.

I think Wagner is a quality school with a great campus, but not sure FCS football is the right fit for them anymore. It takes a lot of resources to be even moderately successful. Just not sure they have the budget or recruitment power to compete, but a new coach would probably change their fortunes. If Saint Francis can do it - Wagner can. This probably comes down to coaching...

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Jeez, where does the time go? You’re right.

Well problem number one is your head coach. Tom Masella, the guy who fizzled out at Fordham and very clearly is over the hill, should never been hired.

Who were the other candidates back in 2019?

I remember that playoff game too and thinking it was about five or six years ago, But then I remembered Delaware played Wagner the following year 2013 and I was questioning whether Wagner was really a cupcake... indeed a steady diet of em

Alzee77
October 22nd, 2022, 12:19 AM
…0-25 plus (I lost count). Another bad lost within conference against Merrimack yesterday. Had the lead going into halftime and gave up 42 points…a common theme this season - cannot close. As a player parent, would like to hear some opinions on the team and coaching staff. We already have the FCS losing streak record and there is no end in sight [emoji20]

The L streak is over !!! Wagner beat LIU tonight 37-26. Good riddance [emoji847] and applaud the players and staff for hanging tough [emoji6]

aceinthehole
October 22nd, 2022, 07:42 AM
Good for the program.

caribbeanhen
October 22nd, 2022, 09:37 AM
The players and Head coach definitely looked happy and relieved as clock was winding down

Fordham
October 22nd, 2022, 01:11 PM
Happy for Wagner. I actually thought they had a decent team when we played them to open the season. Surprised it took this long for them to win a game. They had a bunch of FBS transfers.

Have to say that I’ve never been a fan of Masella overall. He did win us a title but, boy, did the bottom fall out of the program right after that. Hallmark of his team imo was very undisciplined play.

crusader11
November 29th, 2022, 12:16 PM
28 guys from Wagner in the portal... https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/2023-fcs-transfer-portal-tracker

Yikes.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 06:03 PM
28 guys from Wagner in the portal... https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/2023-fcs-transfer-portal-tracker

Yikes.

good luck to them but if not Wagner who?

ngineer
November 29th, 2022, 09:36 PM
Wagner has had a long history of being known as having a revolving turnstile of transfers. Some talent, yes, but it can make for 'chemistry problems' when you rely on bringing in outsiders with questionable reasons as to transferring in this day and age. I was shocked when we were out on Staten Island six or seven years ago and saw the horrible conditions at their stadium. Must make it tough recruiting.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Wagner has had a long history of being known as having a revolving turnstile of transfers. Some talent, yes, but it can make for 'chemistry problems' when you rely on bringing in outsiders with questionable reasons as to transferring in this day and age. I was shocked when we were out on Staten Island six or seven years ago and saw the horrible conditions at their stadium. Must make it tough recruiting.

I've not heard bad things about Wagner Stadium. How does it compare to the PL's lesser lights, namely, Jack Coffey and Cooper Field?

ngineer
November 29th, 2022, 09:45 PM
I've not heard bad things about Wagner Stadium. How does it compare to the PL's lesser lights, namely, Jack Coffey and Cooper Field?

Not nearly as good as Jack Coffey. In competition with Georgetown's before the renovations. I have not had the opportunity to see you new facilities; however, Wagner's locker room is so small only half the visiting team can get in. They have a tent set up outside for the visiting team to dress and get taped! Players coming into the 'general' restrooms because there were not enough 'facilities' for the visiting team. Seating is on one side...only benefit is a pretty view of Coney Island across the bay. That's the only similarity to Coffey and Cooper.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2022, 08:47 AM
Not nearly as good as Jack Coffey. In competition with Georgetown's before the renovations. I have not had the opportunity to see you new facilities; however, Wagner's locker room is so small only half the visiting team can get in. They have a tent set up outside for the visiting team to dress and get taped! Players coming into the 'general' restrooms because there were not enough 'facilities' for the visiting team. Seating is on one side...only benefit is a pretty view of Coney Island across the bay. That's the only similarity to Coffey and Cooper.

And Coney Island really ain’t that pretty. It’s a glorified High school facility

ngineer
November 30th, 2022, 08:11 PM
And Coney Island really ain’t that pretty. It’s a glorified High school facility

It looked nice at night with all the "Midway Lights", Ferris wheel going, etc. through my binoculars! Agreed that many high schools have nicer facilities.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2022, 11:18 PM

Yikes.

Ouch.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2022, 07:23 AM

Yikes.

.......ER....UH....UMM.......WHO'S GONNA WANT 'EM....ROBERT MORRIS........xdontknowx..........AWK?

ngineer
December 1st, 2022, 07:07 PM

.......ER....UH....UMM.......WHO'S GONNA WANT 'EM....ROBERT MORRIS........xdontknowx..........AWK?

Tight quarters in dat portal!!

The Boogie Down
December 2nd, 2022, 01:14 AM
And Coney Island really ain’t that pretty.

Coney Island is plenty pretty! Diss Wagner all you want, but a knock on The People's Playground is practically a knock on America!
Btw, at the 5:54 mark of the clip below is a quick shot of Coney's minor league ballpark. Would be very cool to see a Fordham-Wagner neutral site game (Battle of the Boros/War on the Shore) played there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWHDy4Q2DAA&t=14s

aceinthehole
December 17th, 2022, 08:08 AM
The Wagner campus is fantastic but agree the football stadium is subpar.

Seems Wagner is building new facilities to address their shortcomings.

https://twitter.com/Wagner_Football/status/1603849665547358208

ngineer
December 18th, 2022, 06:39 PM
‘Bout time! Though no mention of the visiting team locker room!!🤣

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2022, 02:16 AM
The Wagner campus is fantastic but agree the football stadium is subpar.

Seems Wagner is building new facilities to address their shortcomings.

https://twitter.com/Wagner_Football/status/1603849665547358208

A step in the right direction for sure but man their stadium is tiny with no chance of really growing, it will seem first class once another NE-10 team joins the NEC though

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Here's the proposed finished product:

https://wagnerathletics.com/sports/2015/10/28/GEN_1028150811.aspx

Bill
December 19th, 2022, 08:30 PM
Good for them - but where is the naming opportunity for the Strength & Conditioning Center? I assuming those other teams (mentioned in DFW's link) will have to use the facility in addition to football. That new room, outfitted for football and other sports at the FCS level is still going to cost them at least $200,000 to be competitive.