View Full Version : SoCon 2022 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 8

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 12:41 AM
Saturday, October 22, 2022

Away
Home
Time
And…?

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
1:30P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
2P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
3:30P

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
This week brought about some clear delineation in the SoCon ranks for FUBeAR.

Pretty clear to see who are the GOT’s and who are the NOT’s in the SoCon this season. Now, if the GOT’s will only lose to other GOT’s the rest of the way, the SoCon SHOULD get 4 Teams in the Playoffs.

Furman, due to playing a D2 Team and already having a SoCon-Referee-assisted-loss to Samford, can only lose to 1 more GOT - either Mercer OR Chatt, but not both, in order to make the Playoffs…unless, a number of the GOT’s, including Furman, end up tied and somehow Furman would end up with the AQ in the tiebreaker ciphering.

Samford only has 2 more GOT’s to play (Mercer & Chatt). So, given no future losses to NOT’s, the Bullpups are already a near-lock for the Playoffs @ no worse than 8-3…even if they lose to Mercer & Chatt. Better offer Coach Hatcher a new contract THIS WEEK!

Mercer & Chatt, who go to war with one another this week, could (and should) make the playoffs @ 7-4 if either lost to all 3 remaining GOT’s, but the winner of this week’s matchup, given no future losses to NOT’s, is pretty much punching their playoff ticket at no worse than 8-3.

GOT’s
1. Mercer (4-0, 6-1 (FBS P5 SEC loss))
2. Furman (3-1, 5-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss))
3. Chattanooga (3-0, 5-1 (#24 in FBS P5 B1G loss))
4. Samford (3-0, 5-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. ETSU (1-4, 3-4)
6. WCU (1-3, 3-4)
7. Wofford (1-3, 1-6)
8. CIT (1-3, 1-5)
9. VMI (0-3, 1-5)

bonarae
October 16th, 2022, 02:23 AM
Possible GOTW in the FCS in Mercer/UTC: IDK which to pick ATM, I'll go with UTC if this holds.
Furman
WCU
Samford - ETSU has struggled mightily with Quarles. xsmhx

The Cats
October 16th, 2022, 07:15 AM
Furman, due to playing a D2 Team and already having a SoCon-Referee-assisted-loss to Samford, can only lose to 1 more GOT - either Mercer OR Chatt, but not both, in order to make the Playoffs…unless, a number of the GOT’s, including Furman, end up tied and somehow Furman would end up with the AQ in the tiebreaker ciphering.

I'm sure at some point this week fubear wants to talk about that "make-up from the SoCon referees" giving the Paladins a SoCon-Referee-assisted-win this past weekend.

I guess that Furman is now 1-1 on SoCon Referee assistance...

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 08:11 AM
I'm sure at some point this week fubear wants to talk about that "make-up from the SoCon referees" giving the Paladins a SoCon-Referee-assisted-win this past weekend.

I guess that Furman is now 1-1 on SoCon Referee assistance...Please post the SoCon League Office’s public acknowledgment of the egregious mistakes made and advisory that the crew will be disciplined for their failures in the WCU @ Furman game. Also, please advise when the Referee for the game, Michael Farmer, has “resigned” as a result of his role in what you allege.

It should look something like this…

https://twitter.com/soconsports/status/1576950374606327808

FUBeAR will wait…

The Cats
October 16th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Please post the SoCon League Office’s public acknowledgment of the egregious mistakes made and advisory that the crew will be disciplined for their failures in the WCU @ Furman game. Also, please advise when the Referee for the game, Michael Farmer, has “resigned” as a result of his role in what you allege.

It should look something like this…

https://twitter.com/soconsports/status/1576950374606327808

FUBeAR will wait…

It was the SoCon game of the week, with SoCon provided announcers on the ESPN+ broadcast, they called them "homer calls"

Watch the game again, I invite every reader on this board to watch the game on ESPN+ replay and comment about the officials, and tell me WCU got "fair" officiating or they were homer officials.... from the first touchdown WCU made, that clearly was a TD, till the end of the game, WCU got the shaft from the officials. It was quite obvious that WCU could not possibly win this game in Travelers Rest and the officials were there to ensure it....

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 09:44 AM
LOL - Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. “provides” the announcers & the only 1 of them saying those things played at Wofford. While at Wofford, he had a losing record against Furman, including losing the final game of his college career to the Paladins. He was undefeated vs. WCU.

The allegation is equivalency with the egregiousness of the errors made in the Samford @ Furman game. Proof of that equivalency would be a similar response.

FUBeAR will wait.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2022, 11:47 AM
I have been pretty quiet about the call up to now. There is NO doubt but that "the call" was ridiculous, and action was appropriately taken for such a blunder. Not much has been said, however, that this was a 3-point game at the half. Did the bad call have carry-over to affect the second half? If the answer is yes, then the question should be raised of why did the Paladins let one call determine the outcome? Is this an example of quitting that FUB has so often railed on for other teams? Nobody knows what would have happened had the right call been made. What we do know is that the Paladins have ridden (pun intended) this dead horse ad nauseum.

If you watch yesterday's game, you cannot truthfully say that Furman didn't get all the officiating breaks. Having said that, you have to also admit that Furman is the better team. Their rushing attack is and was far too strong for the Cats' defense. I also think that the Paladins will be a Playoff Team.

ElCid
October 16th, 2022, 12:00 PM
That's a good summation of the bad call SU DOG. Furman can whine, but the bad call didn't do much to affect the rest of the game. Not all bad calls are created equal. It wasn't on a game winning drive with one minute left in the game. But FuBear likes to whine.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2022, 12:07 PM
As for this coming Saturday, I am extremely nervous about the ETSU trip. This is a trap game and is historically the type of game that Hatcher has failed to win. Perfect example is the 2016 game when Samford had won 7 games and needed to beat the Bucs to ensure a Playoff bid. ETSU had lost their last 6 straight SoCon games and Samford was the heavy favorite. Bucs would prevail 15-14. Samford was lucky to still get the bid and offer little resistance to YSU.

Striking similarity for Saturday's contest.

PaladinNation
October 16th, 2022, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty much over the call… I feel the effect of the call on Furman was more about the 15 minute delay.
Furman was up 10-0 and would have had the ball on the Samford 28.

Furman from the coaches to the players, didn't handle Samford coming out after they were rewarded the ball in their souped up offense. I give Samford all the credit in the world for I believe playing a very good game. The DINS were their own worst enemy, the three fumbles were killer.

The scary thing about Furman is when will the DINS put it all together.
Hell, I want to us play a game where we run our complete offense and not go four corners in the 4th… or have to pass on everyday (Samford).

The Cats
October 16th, 2022, 04:24 PM
That's a good summation of the bad call SU DOG. Furman can whine, but the bad call didn't do much to affect the rest of the game. Not all bad calls are created equal. It wasn't on a game winning drive with one minute left in the game. But FuBear likes to whine.

Guess you didn't see WCU's first touchdown, that was ruled "not a touchdown"... it clearly was. Add that TD to the WCU total, it's now a tie game at the end of regulation - If WCU gets that TD, Furman does not get a TD on the long run right after the "WCU non-TD". That puts WCU ahead 7 points at the end of the game.

So say again, the bad officiating probably did not effect the out come...

ElCid
October 16th, 2022, 04:40 PM
Guess you didn't see WCU's first touchdown, that was ruled "not a touchdown"... it clearly was. Add that TD to the WCU total, it's now a tie game at the end of regulation - If WCU gets that TD, Furman does not get a TD on the long run right after the "WCU non-TD". That puts WCU ahead 7 points at the end of the game.

So say again, the bad officiating probably did not effect the out come...

Well it may or may not have in your game. That's speculation at best. Lots of teams have been on the wrong end of calls...and still won. But it certainly didn't matter in the Furman/Samford game, ultimately.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 07:02 PM
Well it may or may not have in your game. That's speculation at best. Lots of teams have been on the wrong end of calls...and still won. But it certainly didn't matter in the Furman/Samford game, ultimately.
Speculating that it didn’t matter as just as speculatively silly as speculating that it did matter. Only questionable calls on the final play of a game can be evaluated with that degree of certainty.

Speculating that FU would have beaten Samford if not for a 2nd quarter call, review, re-review, ‘interpretive dance’ fiasco or that WCU would have beaten Furman if a 1st quarter call on the field had been overturned on review are just about equally as foolish.

Both of those exercises in mental masturbation are just utter nonsense.

It’s also nonsense to try to draw equivalence between the mockery of officiating that happened in the Samford @ Furman game and some other call and/or review with which you may have disagreed. If you want to try to pretend they are equivalent, enjoy your fantasy. The varying intensity of the response by the SoCon to ‘your call grievance du jour ’ to that of the response to the Samford @ Furman officiating debacle best serves to inform any objective observers seeking the truth.

Just stop it. Y’all look silly.

kdinva
October 16th, 2022, 07:25 PM
Well it may or may not have in your game. .

VMI's comeback @ Furman last November was derailed by a VMI obvious TD catch being called OB.....but life goes on.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 08:39 PM
VMI's comeback @ Furman last November was derailed by a VMI obvious TD catch being called OB.....but life goes on.
Yep - that was similar to the WCU @ FU call being whined about now - other end of the field, same side though. Both were very close. Nothing “obvious” about either. Both ruled incomplete on the field. Both reviewed. Both original calls not overturned. If they had been called complete on the field, FUBeAR thinks those calls would have stood, but they weren’t, so we’ll never know. And the questionable call El Cid added earlier to this batch of whines (“on a game winning drive with one minute left in the game”) was 2021 & reviewed by the head of officials who correctly ruled the officials had made a correct by-the-rules call. The bellhop faithful just don’t think the ref should have made the correct call at that time. So, they don’t want to accept the correct call.

All 3 tough pills to swallow for the aggrieved Team/Fans.

None of the 3 even in the same solar system with the Samford @ Furman train wreck of officiating incompetence / malfeasance. The SoCon’s response to said train wreck tells us this very clearly.

Mocs123
October 17th, 2022, 07:40 AM
Mercer -21
Chattanooga – 24 Game of the Week – In what should be a great matchup between two top ten teams, I think the Mocs win at home in a one score game.

Furman -35 – Lexington isn’t an easy place to play, but the Keydets are out gunned here and the Paladins have everything to play for at this point.
VMI -21

The Citadel -21
Western Carolina -31 – The Bulldogs will be tough and physical, but the Catamounts offense will be too much in the end.

Samford -24
ETSU- 27 – Upset of the Week – Samford has played really well except one game vs. TTU. ETSU is a talented team that is struggling. Johnson City can be a tough place to play if the fans come out. I just think Samford is due a letdown, and ETSU is due for the ball to bounce their way. Mountain Pirates in a close, hard-fought game.

Power Ranking

Mercer – The Bears disposed the Mountain Pirates this week by 3 – TD’s so they keep the top spot – at least for another week.
Chattanooga – The Mocs took out some frustration for the past two years on the under-maned Keydets. Getting ready for a big showdown this week vs. the Bears.
Samford – The Bulldogs took a week off to rest. After a great start Hatcher might be able to sit in his office chair without his pants catching fire by now.
Furman – The Paladins held off a valiant effort by the Catamounts and kept their playoff hopes alive.
Western Carolina – Came up just short in the upset hunt in Travelers Rest. The fighting Bell’s have an offense to beat anyone on the right day.
ETSU – The Bucs have talent, but seem to be struggling to find their way under their first year HC.
VMI – I still think Wach is a good coach, but he doesn’t have a lot of puzzle pieces to play with at the moment.
Wofford- Give the Terriers credit for coming out and breaking the losing streak by getting a double digit win this weekend.
The Citadel – I’m not sure what’s happened to the Bulldogs, and they may be down, but I know they won’t quit.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2022, 08:15 AM
I thought Kerwin Bell recruited a lot of linebackers from Florida

Mocs123
October 17th, 2022, 08:27 AM
I think Bell recruits a lot of players from Florida. He played in Florida, he's coached in Florida and has a lot of contacts there.

walliver
October 17th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Maybe FuBEAR can bring up the infamous Mercer incomplete pass/fumble. I haven’t heard about that for a while.

last week’s goal line stand in Gibbs occurred at the exact spot of a famous last-play stand that the Bellhops still complain about.

I remember in the late 60’s, going to games with my parents and fans constantly talking about “Southern Conference refs” (at one time, the SoCon provided an officiating service for most NAIA teams in the Carolinas. SoCon refs have never been good, and replay just adds new ways to screw it up)!

FUBeAR
October 17th, 2022, 11:03 AM
Maybe FuBEAR can bring up the infamous Mercer incomplete pass/fumble. I haven’t heard about that for a while.

last week’s goal line stand in Gibbs occurred at the exact spot of a famous last-play stand that the Bellhops still complain about.

I remember in the late 60’s, going to games with my parents and fans constantly talking about “Southern Conference refs” (at one time, the SoCon provided an officiating service for most NAIA teams in the Carolinas. SoCon refs have never been good, and replay just adds new ways to screw it up)!Ask & ye shall receive…
https://twitter.com/heres_wilson/status/777535539964633088

…and the CIT QB did not score on the play you are referencing….

….Gotta consider the source though. Recalling the great Furman goal line stand of 1978 - the catalyst for all of FU’s Football glory - 1 untimed down from the 1 yard line - score & win / don’t score & lose for CIT - SoCon Championship on the line - Stump Mitchell may not have even gotten the ball across the 3 yard line - he was completely stuffed by FU’s Front - yet many Bellhop Faithful will swear to this day, on the graves of their Confederate soldier ancestors, that Stump scored. The lenses through which that crowd views life must compress everything into baby blue tunnels.

STILL - none of those compare to what happened in the Samford @ Furman game. Here’s how FUBeAR recently characterized it elsewhere…

They actively worked to contrive an egregious circumvention of the rules & the review process to create, from whole cloth, a nonsensical ruling which violated multiple football rules and completely refuted what was clearly visible on replay and live, for those of us who were actually watching the game.

Catamount87
October 17th, 2022, 12:19 PM
As for the whole miss called debate, I have three words, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Playing the "what if" game post game is a useless endeavor. Now back to our regularly scheduled activities.

Predictions
Mercer at Chatt: SoCon GOTW, get the derailment team ready because someone's season is about it get derailed. Bears continue on their SoCon crown and playoff quest.
Furman at VMI: Dins dine fine on roo meat
The Citadel at Western Carolina: Bounce back week for the Cats
Samford at ETSU: Could this be this years "the game they should win" but don't? The dogs do love to play at least one of those each season.

Rankings:
1. Mercer - the team to beat
2. Chatt - hoping to beat the bears
3t. Furman - oh that call
3t. Samford - oh that call
5. WCU - still has some work to do
6. ETSU - still trying to find their way
7. VMI - leaves are falling in Lexington just like the Roos
8. Wofford - singing the theme song to The Jefferson's
9. Citadel - the doghouse has a new resident

Mocs123
October 18th, 2022, 07:34 AM
While admittedly Saturdays Mercer - Chattanooga game is big - I'm not sure the losers season is derailed. Obviously, a loss hurts, but I'm not sure any team makes it though the SoCon unscathed this year. Both the Mocs and Bears still have to play Furman and Samford - teams also in the playoff hunt, and there are plenty of other dangerous teams in the SoCon - there are no easy wins this year.

I think the SoCon has a shot to get 3 teams in th playoffs this year, but Mercer, Chattanooga, Samford, and Furman are likely going to beat each other up a little bit. Furman is at a bit of a disadvantage due to playing a D2 as well.

This is what I show for D1 wins still possible (money games excluded - I think this just applies to ETSU at this point). I figure 8 D1 wins gets you an at large bid. 7 D1 wins gets you on the bubble.

Mercer - 10 - great shape (must win 2 out of the remaining 4 to get an at large bid)

Chattanooga - 10 - good shape (must win 3 out of the remaining 5)
Samford - 10 - good shape (must win 3 out of the remaining 5)

Furman - 8 - bubble (must win all four remaining games)

Western Carolina - 7 - life support (must win all four remaining games to even have a dark horse shot)

ETSU - 6 - out
VMI - 6 - out

The Citadel - 5 -out
Wofford - 5 -out

Unless something crazy happens in the SoCon - I don't think any team with less than 6 SoCon wins has a shot, so here are the remaining SoCon wins possible for each team:

Chattanooga - 8
Mercer - 8
Samford - 8

Furman - 7

The Citadel - 5
VMI - 5
Western Carolina - 5
Wofford - 5

ETSU - 4

OrangeAndBlack
October 18th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Power Ranks

1. Mercer
2. UT Chattanooga
3. Samford
4. Furman
5. WCU
6. ETSU
7. Wofford
8. Citadel
9. VMI

Week 8 Games

Mercer 40, UTC 32 -- Mercer made a ton of mistakes last week and still won by 22. If Mercer can stop fumbling the ball they may become unstoppable.

Furman 35, VMI 10 -- I've moved VMI to the doghouse in the power ranks, as Citadel has a much better win (ETSU) than VMI's only win over Bucknell.

Citadel 17, WCU 45 -- Hopes were high when Citadel beat ETSU in week 2 by the score of 20-17. Since then, Citadel has scored a combined 26 points over 4 games. Sad!

Samford 35, ETSU 31 -- Samford has scored between 27 and 35 points in all 5 of their FCS games (all wins). I'll put them at the top of that range as they try to hold off ETSU in Johnson City.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2022, 08:29 AM
As a general observation about the Socon, I think there's a solid shot at it being a 3 bid league. Maybe Furman can push for that 4th spot, but I'll have to check their schedule.

The reason why the Socon has typically failed at this is because there's been no established hierarchy outside the top two teams. Put another way, the 3rd and 4th team usually drop a game they shouldn't.

Now, that doesn't look likely to happen. Western, VMI, Wofford, the Citadel, and ETSU are solidly outside of the top. The only games I see that have true spoiler potential is Chattanooga and Western (if Western wins), and ETSU and Samford (if ETSU).

Put another way, if the outside FCS field was irrelevant, I'd say that if Samford wins their next 3 games, they're in. If Chattanooga beats the Citadel, Western and 1 of Samford/Furman, they're in. If Mercer beats VMI and one of Chattanooga/Furman/Samford, they're in. If Furman wins 3 of their last 4, they're in.

I'd say the socon has a 95% chance of getting two teams in the playoffs. 60% chance of getting 3, and maybe a 30% chance of getting 4. There's a very realistic scenario where there's 4 8-3 teams. If the playoff committee only admitted 3 of them, I would honestly say f the playoffs and do our own thing.

Now, I think it's actually more likely that we'll have one team above all else (Mercer/Chattanooga) sitting at 9-2/10-1, two teams at 8-3 or better (my guess: throw Samford in), and one team sitting at 7-4 (Furman). In that situation that fourth team is going to get left out, knowing the politics of the playoffs.

How those individual games are lost in conference are going to be huge though.

kdinva
October 18th, 2022, 09:04 AM
As a general observation about the Socon,.....that fourth team is going to get left out, knowing the politics of the playoffs.

the committee may try to validate a 6-5 MVFC or Big Sky team to a slot in bracket.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2022, 09:28 AM
the committee may try to validate a 6-5 MVFC or Big Sky team to a slot in bracket.

Yeah, people will say "win your out of conference games" and the Socon will do that. And then they'll nitpick Furman playing North Greenville when random Big Sky team that is in gets to play a pioneer team.

In my view, if you 1) win 8 games 2) win all your OOC games and 3) have at least one FCS OOC win, you should probably be in the playoffs. Just because of the sample of teams that can do all three of those things is limited.

At the end of the day, MVFC and Big Sky folks will say "but meh strength of schedule." At the end of the day, a 6-5 Big Sky/MVFC team isn't going much farther than an 8-3/7-4 team from another conference. It's more important to the committee and these fans to reward a team for the conference they play in and being middling when it comes to outcome than it is to reward teams for good seasons and meeting most of their goals (8 wins is hard!)

Mocs123
October 18th, 2022, 09:30 AM
And throw in the mix that one of Furman's wins is D2, so that could come back to bite them if they are on the bubble. Ironically, if they'd played Presbyterian (who'd probably lose to North Greenville) that wouldn't be an issue, but the committee tends to look at D1 wins only.

BTW: Here are the games each contender has left:

Chattanooga - (Mercer, Furman, The Citadel, Samford, WCU)
Furman - (VMI, Chattanooga, Mercer, Wofford)
Mercer - (Chattanooga, VMI, Furman, Samford)
Samford - (ETSU, The Citadel, VMI, Chatanooga, Mercer)

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2022, 11:19 AM
I think the division one win thing is kind of bogus, just because pioneer league teams and other schools (Patriot maybe) have less scholarships and academic support relative to D2 and even NAIA schools.

It's really smart and or not fair that some Big Sky schools have the money to fly these teams out to them for a win and a paycheck while the socon just does the financially feasible thing

Teams have always scheduled this way at this level, because this level was always about cost control. Wofford on many occasions was an easy admission to the playoffs with a D2 win. It wasn't until about 10 years ago (or less) that it became a problem. The remedy is to "schedule tougher" but that remedy is both more complicated than you'd think and against the spirit of cost control that is FCS.

The Cats
October 18th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Mercer at Chattanooga
Furman at VMI
The Citadel at Western Carolina
Samford at ETSU

Power Rankings... (parenthesis last week's rank)

1. (1) Mercer (6-1, 44-0 SoCon)
Next: at Chattanooga

2. (2) Chattanooga (5-1, 3-0 SoCon)
Next: Mercer

3. (3) Samford (5-1, 3-0 SoCon)
Next: at ETSU

4. (5) Furman (5-2, 3-1 SoCon)
Next: at VMI

5. (4) Western Carolina (3-4, 1-3SoCon)
Next: The Citadel

6. (8) ETSU (2-4, 1-3 SoCon)
Next: Samford

7. (9) Wofford (1-6, 1-3 SoCon)
Next: Bye Week

8. (6) The Citadel (1-5, 1-3 SoCon)
Next: at Western Carolina

9. (7) VMI (1-5, 0-3 SoCon)
Next: Furman

MUMD
October 18th, 2022, 08:26 PM
And throw in the mix that one of Furman's wins is D2, so that could come back to bite them if they are on the bubble. Ironically, if they'd played Presbyterian (who'd probably lose to North Greenville) that wouldn't be an issue, but the committee tends to look at D1 wins only.

This is what we think happened to Mercer last year, actually 2 things. We only played a 10 game schedule and even though we were 6-2 in the SoCon our only OOC win was against NAIA Point University. Apparently thats all the AD could find to play us. I really wish the SoCon could work out something for some OOC games with the CAA. I'd love to see the Tribe or Spiders come to Maconga or visa versa.

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 08:22 AM
“GET YOUR BUTTS TO FINLEY STADIUM!”

Dang…the Mocs got their local homer media working overtime to try to create some kind of home field advantage on Saturday…

https://twitter.com/benbobicklocal3/status/1582521914081288195

JSUSoutherner
October 19th, 2022, 09:08 AM
“GET YOUR BUTTS TO FINLEY STADIUM!”

Dang…the Mocs got their local homer media working overtime to try to create some kind of home field advantage on Saturday…

https://twitter.com/benbobicklocal3/status/1582521914081288195
I'd guess the only bigger game was the 2015 game where we were ranked 7 and UTC was 8. Where we won, took Auburn to OT, and were ranked #1 all the way until Frisco.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2022, 09:16 AM
I think FUBeAR is just jealous that the Mocs get more coverage than the Bears in the local media.

That being said - I really think all FCS programs are under reported in their local media, and to be honest under supported by the community as a whole. I imagine that Macon is much like Chattanooga where most of the residents are fans of one SEC (or ACC) team or another, and the Mocs and Bears are unfortunately viewed as second class programs by a lot of people in their communities. And while at the end of the day either FUBeAR or Myself is going to be disappointed with the outcome, I think we can both agree that the game on Saturday should be a great football game between two really good teams (even if FUBeAR ranks the Mocs behind Mercer, Furman, the HS team he went to, and his local rec league team), so why wouldn't you want to encourage people to come out and see said good football game?

Catamount87
October 19th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Attendance for Chatt has always baffled me a bit. They are located in a decent size city, have solid enrollment, have had decent teams over the last few years and the Vols have been a lost team for a good while until this season. So, what gives? Sure, it's a state crazy about UT and to a lesser degree SEC football but come one that can't be the only reason.

ElCid
October 19th, 2022, 10:59 AM
Attendance for Chatt has always baffled me a bit. They are located in a decent size city, have solid enrollment, have had decent teams over the last few years and the Vols have been a lost team for a good while until this season. So, what gives? Sure, it's a state crazy about UT and to a lesser degree SEC football but come one that can't be the only reason.

I'm not sure, so don't jump down my throat Mocs fans, but wasn't UTC more of a commuter school for much of it's existence? Commuter/part time vs resident undergrads plays a huge roll in attendance.

blueGOldMOCS
October 19th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Attendance at Chattanooga games has always been frustrating to me. I have been a Chattanooga Moc fan for over 35 years, when I began classes at the university. Even when we had good teams during the Huesman years, we struggled at having 10,000. There are a core group of us fans that will support them no matter what. Too many that I speak with at the home games, act surprised that I will travel 3 hours for a home game and ask if I have a son on the team, which I don’t. The closest game I will travel to will be at ETSU, which only took me 15 minutes to drive from my house.

To all those core FCS fans, keep on supporting your teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
October 19th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Don’t worry Mocs Fans. Mercer’s gonna help you out with your attendance problems.

https://twitter.com/merceryou/status/1582710697590505472

JSUSoutherner
October 19th, 2022, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure, so don't jump down my throat Mocs fans, but wasn't UTC more of a commuter school for much of it's existence? Commuter/part time vs resident undergrads plays a huge roll in attendance.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact Chattanooga sucks.

Not even the university. Chattanooga just sucks as a town.

ElCid
October 19th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Attendance at Chattanooga games has always been frustrating to me. I have been a Chattanooga Moc fan for over 35 years, when I began classes at the university. Even when we had good teams during the Huesman years, we struggled at having 10,000. There are a core group of us fans that will support them no matter what. Too many that I speak with at the home games, act surprised that I will travel 3 hours for a home game and ask if I have a son on the team, which I don’t. The closest game I will travel to will be at ETSU, which only took me 15 minutes to drive from my house.

To all those core FCS fans, keep on supporting your teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try but it's been hard to travel lately. I got a very old dad and special needs sister who I need to take care of. I didn't miss a home game for 8 years in a row, but haven't been able to match that in the last 5-6 years. I hope to get to both Chattanooga and Johnson City next year. They are closer than Charleston. WCU, Furman, and even Wofford are ridiculously close.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2022, 11:42 AM

Says the fan of Jacksonville State. I've been to Jacksonville.....There is JSU and Cooter's Rib Shack and that's about it.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2022, 11:56 AM
The main reason FCS attendance is sub par for most teams is a combination of factors (TV, campus size), but the fundamental reason in the Southern US is that if you're truly a die hard football fan, you're going to go to an SEC or ACC school. It's called filtering.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2022, 12:03 PM

It's baffled me as well as you're right we are a decent size city with a sizeable alumni base local - We should have no problem filling 20K Finley Stadium, but we do. The irony is, when they built Finley, they built it with the ability to add on and increase capacity to 40K (if I'm remembering that number correctly) -it's a joke now to think we'd ever need it. Of course we also have a BB arena that seats 11K.

El Cid is correct - it's largely a commuter school, which certainly doesn't help student attendance. Finley Stadium is about two miles from campus - there are some that feel like that hurts attendance as well, but it seems to me that it's largely due to the fact that Chattanooga's all seem to be very fierce Vols, Dogs, or Tide fans and view Chattanooga (and any non SEC football) as D2 and somehow second rate. It's been reported that there are 15K Vols season ticket holders in Hamilton County that drive to Knoxville weekly, while we can barely manage to muster 10K at a game at Finley. I work with several UTC grads that travel to UTK games but have never been to a UTC game and aren't interested in doing so. It probably doesn't help that we don't have a long history of winning, but since 2009 we've been pretty descent every year but one.

To be honest it seems like schools in more rural areas seem to draw better attendance. JSU, for all my hatred of them, always had a great crowd. App State, when they were in the SoCon always had great attendance, and WCU, who let's be honest hasn't had a ton of relevant football years the last three decades or so is leading the SoCon in attendance. I've always felt that there are so many other weekend entertainment options in a city the size of Chattanooga that you don't have in a more rural area takes away some demand.

Another thing that I think hurts attendance is having a stadium with so much more capacity than demand. Mercer and ETSU did it right honestly - building smaller stadiums that they could fill to near capacity. I think it creates a better atmosphere and I think sell out or near sell out environments create more demand.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Don’t worry Mocs Fans. Mercer’s gonna help you out with your attendance problems.

https://twitter.com/merceryou/status/1582710697590505472

Bring 'em. I'm hoping to have a good environment on Saturday and having some of the opposing team's fans in the stands certainly helps.

BearDownMU
October 19th, 2022, 12:34 PM

I realize this is probably just friendly smack talk, but I don't think this is accurate at all. Chattanooga is a really nice town. Lot of interesting, local things to do.

Mocs123
October 19th, 2022, 12:40 PM
JSU fans probably see Chattanooga like Moc fans see Jacksonville, AL or Huntington, WV.

BearDownMU
October 19th, 2022, 12:46 PM
I think FUBeAR is just jealous that the Mocs get more coverage than the Bears in the local media.

That being said - I really think all FCS programs are under reported in their local media, and to be honest under supported by the community as a whole. I imagine that Macon is much like Chattanooga where most of the residents are fans of one SEC (or ACC) team or another, and the Mocs and Bears are unfortunately viewed as second class programs by a lot of people in their communities. And while at the end of the day either FUBeAR or Myself is going to be disappointed with the outcome, I think we can both agree that the game on Saturday should be a great football game between two really good teams (even if FUBeAR ranks the Mocs behind Mercer, Furman, the HS team he went to, and his local rec league team), so why wouldn't you want to encourage people to come out and see said good football game?

I can't speak for Chatt, but I don't know that this is a completely accurate statement re: Mercer/Macon. Certainly, there are plenty of Georgia/Auburn/Clemson/et. al. fan, but I don't know that it kills attendance that much. What I see mostly now is tailgates with TVs, to be honest.

Beyond that, the Macon media, I think, covers Mercer extremely well. Could be that Mercer build the Center for Collaborative Journalism in conjunction with grants from the Knight Foundation some years ago, and the Macon Telegraph offices are actually IN the same building as Mercer's Journalism program, but there is a whole section of the paper dedicated to the Bears. And, they also lead on local news/sports regularly. In fact, WMAZ, the CBS affiliate in Macon chose it's called letters as an acronym for "Watch Mercer Attain Zenith", which was what a physics class at Mercer in 1922 called it's first radio station project. That was run out of the University until it was purchased by the Southeastern Broadcast Company in the 30's. It then went live as a television station in the 50s and still exists today.

Anywho, I think Mercer has done a great job interfacing with the local community and the local media. And the local media does a good job with the Bears.

gofurman
October 19th, 2022, 01:03 PM
I have been pretty quiet about the call up to now. There is NO doubt but that "the call" was ridiculous, and action was appropriately taken for such a blunder. Not much has been said, however, that this was a 3-point game at the half. Did the bad call have carry-over to affect the second half? If the answer is yes, then the question should be raised of why did the Paladins let one call determine the outcome? Is this an example of quitting that FUB has so often railed on for other teams? Nobody knows what would have happened had the right call been made. What we do know is that the Paladins have ridden (pun intended) this dead horse ad nauseum.

If you watch yesterday's game, you cannot truthfully say that Furman didn't get all the officiating breaks. Having said that, you have to also admit that Furman is the better team. Their rushing attack is and was far too strong for the Cats' defense. I also think that the Paladins will be a Playoff Team.

THIS. you are spot on SU Dog. We (Furman) need to nut up or shut up. ONE CALL should not affect us for TWO QUARTERS. Even our own players admitted such in post game - veteran teams take the gut punch momentum swings better than we did. If ONE CALL in the first half kills us - then we did NOT deserve to win... Strong teams don't let one call give up 20+ points or whatever.. plus we had Halftime at 20-17. That's the biggest momentum stop there is .. a 20 minute halftime

Milktruck74
October 19th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Says the fan of Jacksonville State. I've been to Jacksonville.....There is JSU and Cooter's Rib Shack and that's about it.

I haven't been a number of years, but I hear that the tornados that ripped through there a few years back did $30 Million in improvements and really cleaned up the place!!!

SU DOG
October 19th, 2022, 01:18 PM
GoFurman that is one classy post. I will say again in (hopefully) closing that the call was SO WRONG, and I do wish it had never been made.

walliver
October 19th, 2022, 01:19 PM
The main reason FCS attendance is sub par for most teams is a combination of factors (TV, campus size), but the fundamental reason in the Southern US is that if you're truly a die hard football fan, you're going to go to an SEC or ACC school. It's called filtering.

to be honest, a lot of Wofford grads are die hard Tigger or Chicken fans.

Another problem is that private schools don’t attract much community interest these days when there are so many TV options. The SoCon has 4 private schools. The two military schools also struggle to create local interest. The Citadel at one time was “Charleston’s team”, but now those fans stay home and watch the Gamecocks on TV.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2022, 02:26 PM
to be honest, a lot of Wofford grads are die hard Tigger or Chicken fans.

Another problem is that private schools don’t attract much community interest these days when there are so many TV options. The SoCon has 4 private schools. The two military schools also struggle to create local interest. The Citadel at one time was “Charleston’s team”, but now those fans stay home and watch the Gamecocks on TV.

If you go to the citadel and aren't a player, sports aren't your primary reason for going.

If you go to Wofford, you probably go to be a doctor or lawyer or finance person. Same with Furman, I would imagine Samford, etc etc.

I imagine the same is true for other teams in conference, albeit more pronounced with the small private schools. Heck, when I went to Wofford in 2012, I was surprised by the absence of passion for football (which, being informed by that, made me really surprised by the collective hate for Conklin held by even the most passive of Wofford students and young alumni)

MUMD
October 19th, 2022, 02:46 PM

You can substitute "Kennesaw" for "Chatt" and "UGA" for "UT" and there you have it. What are there like 5 million in metro Atlanta and 40K at Kennesaw but they draw 6k/game? Baffling. They must not sell local craft brew IN THE STADIUM like Mercer does.

ElCid
October 19th, 2022, 08:16 PM
If you go to the citadel and aren't a player, sports aren't your primary reason for going.

Is this true anywhere? I guess it doesn't compute with me that anyone would go to a specific school simply because it's a good choice if they are a sports fan. Doesn't mean they won't support their school and teams, but holy smokes, who does that?

And I can say that in regard to us, Alumni are more rabid fans than the cadets. Maybe that we were forced to go to games brings out some resentment at times. But that usually goes away quick as an alum.

Our attendance has definitely dropped along with everyone else. The stadium issues, beginning with the home replacement, and then the visitor side issues has contributed, but the atmosphere just isn't the same as it's been in the past. Going to a game on a Saturday night in Charleston used to be an event. It even brought out lots of non alumni. It was just a great outing. But now there are lots of interests, distractions, etc to compete against.

gofurman
October 19th, 2022, 09:42 PM
GoFurman that is one classy post. I will say again in (hopefully) closing that the call was SO WRONG, and I do wish it had never been made.

Good stuff SU DOG. Now let's have some fun football this weekend !!

my power:

GOT’s
2. Chattanooga (3-0, 5-1 (#24 in FBS P5 B1G loss)) - still haven't lost a SoCon game
3a. Samford (3-0, 5-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
3b. Furman (3-1, 5-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss))

Middle scary
5. WCU (1-3, 3-4)
6. ETSU (1-4, 3-4)

Not
7. Wofford (1-3, 1-6)
8. CIT (1-3, 1-5)
9. VMI (0-3, 1-5)

winners -
Mercer
Furman
Western
Samford

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Saturday, October 22, 2022

Away
Home
Time
Take this to the Bank

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
Let’s see what we IMAGINE will happen in this Clash of SoCon Titans - Chatt has a very good Defense. So does Mercer. Chatt has a pretty good Offense. Mercer has an elite Offense. Mercer has some Special Teams challenges. So does Chatt. Mercer’s Offense is not elite if they can’t run the ball a little bit. The Bears lead the SoCon in yards/rush @ 5.6. Chatt’s D leads the SoCon in yards/rush @ 2.7. Mercer will need to split that difference and average > 4 yards/rush to keep their O untracked. If they can do that, they will score 4+ TD’s. If not, the Bears’ O will struggle to score 2 TD’s. Thing is…even if Mercer’s O is stymied, that won’t keep their D from stopping Chatt’s pretty good O. The Bears held ETSU’s Jacob Saylors to 25 yds rushing & over 100 yards under his All-Purpose Avg. Chatt’s O - even more than Mercer’s relies on being able to run the ball. But Mercer’s rush D is just behind Chatt’s - only yielding 3.1 yards/rush. So Chatt will need to be able to throw. Take a guess who leads the nation in INT’s. Yep - the Bears secondary have been the hawkiest of ball hawks with 15 swipes. So, though Chatt is home, FUBeAR thinks Mercer will be able to run the ball just well enough to untrack their O. FUBeAR thinks, as they did last year, turnovers (Mercer is also #1 in FCS in Total TO Margin +9) will favor the Bears…and Special Teams gaffes will be a wash. In a bloody battle…

Final Score: Mercer 26 - Chatt 24

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
Though the Paladins have had their share of challenges in LexVegas, the BigRats just don’t have any bite this season. They will still chew and claw, so it, once again, won’t be easy for the PurpleExterminators, but the ‘Dins get it done, keeping their SoCon Championship & Post-season hopes alive for a big matchup with the Mocs in Greenville next Saturday…assuming Chattanooga shows up. They have a 2 year history of shutting down & quitting after they take a whippin’ from the Mercer Bears.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 31 - VMI 14

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
2P
“The Cats” are having some trouble finding a win against any Teams that aren’t really bad. Their 3 wins have come against Teams that have a combined winning % of .158. They’re having trouble with a QB that is injured and a QB controversy is on low simmer. Obviously, the D has struggled, giving up nearly 40 a game. They have to be happy facing a bellhop Offense that has struggled mightily to score this season. This one could go a couple ways, but FUBeAR thinks Coach Bell is smart enough to use KISS with his O this week vs. trying to win by 100 and fast! Being in Cullowhee helps also…and FUBeAR is starting to think, as almost certainly a “lame duck,” Coach Thompson has lost the Team.

FINAL SCORE: WCU 34 - The Citadel 21

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
3:30P
Now, THIS game is really interesting. FUBeAR is gonna be honest - no idea how it’s gonna go. Completely guessing…FUBeAR is inclined to take Samford in this game because he likes their talent and their conversion to (really) establishing a run game AND playing Defense. Woulda loved to see the exorcism this off-season that cast the demons out of Coach Hatcher that had kept him from doing either of those most of his career. Did they fly up to Cullowhee? Hmmm? BUT…when FUBeAR looks at all the stats for both Teams and compares scores and knowing that 1 Samford win has an asterisk on it, he thinks the home field is gonna make a difference. It’s Homecoming and FUBeAR has been on the visiting sidelines when the ETSU band cranks up - it’s loud - Samford sure ain’t used to loud. It’s a nail-biter, but the Bucs cut the Dogs’ dew-claws.

FINAL SCORE: ETSU 24 - Samford 23

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
This week brought about some clear delineation in the SoCon ranks for FUBeAR.

Pretty clear to see who are the GOT’s and who are the NOT’s in the SoCon this season. Now, if the GOT’s will only lose to other GOT’s the rest of the way, the SoCon SHOULD get 4 Teams in the Playoffs.

Samford only has 2 more GOT’s to play (Mercer & Chatt). So, given no future losses to NOT’s, the Bullpups are already a near-lock for the Playoffs @ no worse than 8-3…even if they lose to Mercer & Chatt. Better offer Coach Hatcher a new contract THIS WEEK!

Mercer & Chatt, who go to war with one another this week, could (and should) make the playoffs @ 7-4 if either lost to all 3 remaining GOT’s, but the winner of this week’s matchup, given no future losses to NOT’s, is pretty much punching their playoff ticket at no worse than 8-3.

GOT’s
2. Furman (3-1, 5-2 (#4 in FBS P5 ACC loss))
3. Chattanooga (3-0, 5-1 (#24 in FBS P5 B1G loss))
4. Samford (3-0, 5-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. ETSU (1-4, 3-4)
6. WCU (1-3, 3-4)
7. Wofford (1-3, 1-6)
8. CIT (1-3, 1-5)
9. VMI (0-3, 1-5)

SU DOG
October 20th, 2022, 09:10 AM
FUBeAR says that one Samford win has an asterisk on it. LOL! He is persistent I must admit. As for picks, I will take:
Mercer
Furman
Western
Samford - Trap game for sure, and I can see logic in picking ETSU, but I can't be unbiased here. Could very well be a deciding game for Bulldogs' postseason hopes.

ElCid
October 20th, 2022, 09:29 AM
FUBeAR says that one Samford win has an asterisk on it. LOL! He is persistent I must admit. As for picks, I will take:
Mercer
Furman
Western
Samford - Trap game for sure, and I can see logic in picking ETSU, but I can't be unbiased here. Could very well be a deciding game for Bulldogs' postseason hopes.

He is entertaining. I'll go with this. But I'm sure that there is a game ahead, before the end, where one of the top four gets upset. Where is anyone's guess.

I'm a bit disappointed in my Bulldogs. I'm thinking our coach may be done. Things obviously aren't working any more. He's not terrible, but he keeps coming shorter each year. His game decisions haven't been good and our recruiting hadn't been good. The reliance on grad students this year may have been a matter of circumstances outside his control (virus related issues), but he didn't do well in retaining talent either.

Catamount87
October 20th, 2022, 09:48 AM

There is a lot of truth there and for us southerners that's implied into the conversation. As for UTC, they should do better, way better. WCU and UTC are similar in a lot of ways from size, alumni base, even some limited success history. Yet, WCU can pull in 8-9K during lean years and easily sell out during very good to great years. So, there is something else pulling UTC attendance down.

BurialGround
October 20th, 2022, 10:18 AM
You can substitute "Kennesaw" for "Chatt" and "UGA" for "UT" and there you have it. What are there like 5 million in metro Atlanta and 40K at Kennesaw but they draw 6k/game? Baffling. They must not sell local craft brew IN THE STADIUM like Mercer does.

Because nobody really looks at anything beyond the numbers. When you look at student enrollment and the population of the area nearby, then yeah, it looks baffling. Look at any other numbers and it's pretty obvious why we struggle.

KSU was founded in 1963 and only opened its athletic department in 1982. We were a smallish NAIA school until 1994. In other words, there's no athletic tradition whatsoever at KSU. In addition, a large percentage of our students are in the teaching and nursing programs, mostly women, not exactly going to be your most die-hard sports fans. Add into that being a commuter school with few people staying on campus at the weekend, and it's not really a big surprise that we struggle. It's kinda crazy that any FBS conference would want us, but I guess they're looking at future potential above anything else.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2022, 10:25 AM
...a large percentage of our students are in the teaching and nursing programs, mostly women, not exactly going to be your most die-hard sports fans. Add into that being a commuter school with few people staying on campus at the weekend, and it's not really a big surprise that we struggle.

Don't be so hard on yourself for "not having a tradition"

What you're describing is what I'm referring to when I call it a sorting effect. Success is only one dimension that leads to die hard fans (and even then, football is harder to get a critical mass of a fan base relative to basketball - ACC schools in NC on paper, for instance, suffers with the same football problems).

But there's a reason certain schools have more passionate fanbases, and they're all mainly in FBS (biggest pool of students, not a commuter school, more avid sports brands).

What's more, there's a reason why some programs' fans want to go FBS now, while others don't. They're the last bastion of the outliers. App State, JMU, NDSU: these are pretty much the football schools of their state, and they don't have the demographic limitation of KSU and others. You won't see the same passion/ambitions from, say, Wofford and Richmond. Our schools are smaller, and our demographics are tapered. Thankfully for KSU, school size is not tapered, which will help long term.

kdinva
October 20th, 2022, 11:21 AM
UTC 30; Mercer 28
WCU 35; The Citadel 20
Samford 33; ETSU 26
Furman 34, VMI 17

MUMD
October 20th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Is this true anywhere? I guess it doesn't compute with me that anyone would go to a specific school simply because it's a good choice if they are a sports fan. Doesn't mean they won't support their school and teams, but holy smokes, who does that?

Lots of kids go to schools for the sports, especially P5. Some get a quality education as well, many don't. Six fun fall Saturdays a year can be quite a draw.

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/beta_rank_fb/status/1583103636481413125

https://c.tenor.com/e_VaornxdqQAAAAM/science-thomas-dolby.gif

gofurman
October 20th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Who is starting at QB for VMI? Anyone know if the top 2 guys are at least possible? I don't know names so if you could list the top 3 guys and who is probable...

BurialGround
October 20th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself for "not having a tradition"

What you're describing is what I'm referring to when I call it a sorting effect. Success is only one dimension that leads to die hard fans (and even then, football is harder to get a critical mass of a fan base relative to basketball - ACC schools in NC on paper, for instance, suffers with the same football problems).

But there's a reason certain schools have more passionate fanbases, and they're all mainly in FBS (biggest pool of students, not a commuter school, more avid sports brands).

What's more, there's a reason why some programs' fans want to go FBS now, while others don't. They're the last bastion of the outliers. App State, JMU, NDSU: these are pretty much the football schools of their state, and they don't have the demographic limitation of KSU and others. You won't see the same passion/ambitions from, say, Wofford and Richmond. Our schools are smaller, and our demographics are tapered. Thankfully for KSU, school size is not tapered, which will help long term.

You're right about all of that, it's a good, logical post. And I agree that in the long term, we have the potential to grow a healthy fan base at the FBS level. I think we're at least 10 years from that (though the jump to FBS will help somewhat immediately), but I can still see why we'd want to go ahead and get situated in FBS during this current realignment. Who knows what the future will hold.

kdinva
October 20th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Who is starting at QB for VMI? Anyone know if the top 2 guys are at least possible? I don't know names so if you could list the top 3 guys and who is probable...

#16 Shannon, and #12 Hagan is back up.

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 02:47 PM
#16 Shannon, and #12 Hagan is back up.
Nah…FUBeAR has the inside scoop. Kelly Raber is gonna take the snaps for the Keydets this week.

kdinva
October 20th, 2022, 03:11 PM
Nah…FUBeAR has the inside scoop. Kelly Raber is gonna take the snaps for the Keydets this week.

Backed up by Dave Brown and Al Cobb....xrotatehx

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Backed up by Dave Brown and Al Cobb....xrotatehx
No Cobb or Udinski guest appearances, PLEASE!

ElCid
October 20th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Lots of kids go to schools for the sports, especially P5. Some get a quality education as well, many don't. Six fun fall Saturdays a year can be quite a draw.

That's just crazy. As a player sure, but that would be last on my list of college profiles when deciding where to go, just as a fan. But to each his own I suppose.

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 04:46 PM
That's just crazy. As a player sure, but that would be last on my list of college profiles when deciding where to go, just as a fan. But to each his own I suppose.
Some of us may have forgotten who our 17 year old selves were.

If it wasn’t for a Football Schollie, FUBeAR was fully prepared to make his college selection based upon an advantageous Female to Male Student Body Ratio (a target-rich environment you flyboys call it…right?) and ranking or mentions (ORV’s?) in Playboy’s annual listing of Best Party Schools.

ElCid
October 20th, 2022, 04:51 PM

If it wasn’t for a Football Schollie, FUBeAR was fully prepared to make his college selection based upon an advantageous Female to Male Student Body Ratio (a target-rich environment you flyboys call it…right?) and ranking or mentions (ORV’s?) in Playboy’s annual listing of Best Party Schools.

Actually I think my 17 year old self was a bit more squared away than my 57 year old self. LOL.

Didn't care to have women actually at school. There were enough in Charleston to go around.

MUMD
October 20th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Like this? Take a look at #9. This was my senior year at Mercer and we were still a bona fide Baptist school. This hastened our exit from that relationship and we were damned proud of it. I can't figure out how to make it larger and more readable.

FUBeAR
October 20th, 2022, 07:36 PM
Like this? Take a look at #9. This was my senior year at Mercer and we were still a bona fide Baptist school. This hastened our exit from that relationship and we were damned proud of it. I can't figure out how to make it larger and more readable.
https://media.thetab.com/blogs.dir/92/files/2017/03/17092977-10211666000463278-860447347-o.jpg

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2022, 07:31 AM

I can't jump down your throat when you absolutely nailed it. My Daughter goes to school in a city of about 38k with not much around it. It is d3 school with 2200 students ...98% of which live on campus. Their attendance at FB games is about 4000 (stadium seats 2500) and the atmosphere is pretty fun and charged. Chattanooga may have more than 10000 students, but there are only 2000 beds on campus, and I'd guess about half of those are empty on any given Friday and Saturday night. So when you compare that with a school like WCU with 14000 students and 8000 beds on campus...you can see why their have had a pretty strong attendance (even in the midst of some really lean years). I think one has to account campus involvement/residence in the equation. IT can not be strictly based on enrollment. Not all students are the same. While Citadel is a small school of 3500, 2200 of those are in the corps and are INVOLVED. Realizing 4 out of 5 of UTCs students are only on campus during class time and have ZERO campus involvement, Chattanooga and Citadel are really drawing for the same size pool...as are MOST SoCon Schools.

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2022, 09:11 AM
Their attendance at FB games is about 4000 (stadium seats 2500) and the atmosphere is pretty fun and charged.

This is another aspect of FCS football that kind of gets overlooked: most FCS stadiums, especially in an era of declining attendance, are too big.

Part of the reason why the Socon (I would guess) feels more like a basketball conference to current students isn't just because the football is FCS, but also because 1/2+ of the conference plays in arenas that have nice atmosphere because they are tailored to the campus environments. There used to be stadium and attendance requirements for teams trying to go FBS in football. I'm not sure if they exist or existed in FCS, but they likely didn't exist in basketball.

A good example of this is Wofford. Our stadium atmosphere for football honestly kind of sucks. Yes, we have limitations alluded to before (small alumni base, the national trend of graduates of colleges to migrate nationally - speaking for myself, filtering effects). But it's mainly in my opinion because our stadium is so darn big for what we need. I'd say we have a real attendance of about 4-5k (because we inflate our announced attendance numbers to 7k-ish for reasons not relevant here) in a stadium of 13k. It feels dead. If we had a stadium of only about 8-10k, things would feel a lot different. Campbell, I hear, is a good example of this. They have a smaller stadium than Wofford and technically lower attendance, but I hear they have a good atmosphere.

All of this is because crowds feed off the energy of each other and when you're closer together, it's easier to do that. That's why it's easier in basketball (indoor echos notwithstanding)

Mocs123
October 21st, 2022, 09:31 AM
You're right RoT. Finley stadium (20K capacity) is twice as big as what UTC needs. It's a nice facility in a lot of regards, but it's just too big. ETSU did a good job on this, building a smaller stadium (~7.5K) that more matched the demand. I attended a game there in 2018 and despite the attendance being slightly lower than at Finley stadium, it was near capacity (the announced a sellout - but it was probably 90% full - butts in seats) and the atmosphere felt better.

Let's just say the Mocs sold out Finley every game - It would be a great atmosphere, but take those same 20K fans and put them in Neyland Stadium that sits 100K and it would feel empty.

I look at what ETSU did, or maybe better yet Mercer's 5 Star stadium (~10K) and that's what I'd like to see the Mocs have. Well, I'd really rather fill Finley to near capacity, but I've somewhat lost hope in that. Add that to the fact that UTC does not own or operate Finley and I'd like to see us build a 9-10K facility on campus. The fact that we don't control Finley was an issue in the spring 2021 season where Stadium Corp (who owns the stadium) refused to de-winterize the restrooms so we could have fans in the stands. They are also hosting the Tennessee High School State Championships there the first weekend of December so if we were to get a seed in the FCS playoffs, we would be unable to host and would have to play on the road. (We have a long road before we think about a seed as we have a ton of tough games left - including Mercer this week - but I'm just saying if it happened - we couldn't host). There is some talk of a future on campus stadium, but since UTC is landlocked, we have to demolish a building to make it happen.

kdinva
October 21st, 2022, 11:23 AM
but since UTC is landlocked,

....welcome to VMI's world.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2022, 12:49 PM
https://media.thetab.com/blogs.dir/92/files/2017/03/17092977-10211666000463278-860447347-o.jpg

25. MIT???? I mean, I once partied with a group of chem engineers and they taught me that Alcohol IS a solution!!! But MIT? I don't really think Party Scene when I think Engineers!

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2022, 01:18 PM
25. MIT???? I mean, I once partied with a group of chem engineers and they taught me that Alcohol IS a solution!!! But MIT? I don't really think Party Scene when I think Engineers!

That list is total insult to all people who know how to party

U of Delaware has tried to downplay the party school image associated with Newark

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2022, 01:47 PM
That list is total insult to all people who know how to party

U of Delaware has tried to downplay the party school image associated with Newark
Well…that list was published in January of 1987…so, some things may have changed in the intervening 35 years.

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2022, 06:56 PM
Well…that list was published in January of 1987…so, some things may have changed in the intervening 35 years.

since 1987? That was the last time I was seen in the Stone Ballon

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 22nd, 2022, 12:39 PM
I was 3-1 last week with Wofford shocking the either Southern Conference with their first conference win since 2019 or so (what a difference a coaching change makes). I am slowly but surely getting off the high I got after the appearance of a mushroom cloud in Knoxville seven days ago. Here's where I have it after last week's games

1) Mercer - had a scare at first but pulled away late
2) Samford - resting up only to see their Big Brother school get fiddy plus hung on them
3) Chattanooga - defends their house extraordinarily well
4) Furman - another game, another struggle win
5) Western Carolina - had nothing to be ashamed of
6) ETSU - had plenty of offense, defense not so much
7) Wofford - scores their first conference win in it's been awhile
8) A Citadel - lose to a cellar dweller, get referred to as A Citadel
9) VMI - their title season looks so long ago

This Week's Games
Mercer @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Bears maul their way ever so closer to their first conference title
Furman @ VMI (Beatdown of the Week) - Paladins lay Lexington to waste in an effort to keep up
A Citadel @ Western Carolina - Catamounts defend their house and home
Samford @ ETSU - Bammerdogs keep their conference title hopes alive (I hope I'm wrong)

ElCid
October 22nd, 2022, 01:01 PM
Still early, but Mercer getting it ass handed to them so far. Chatty with a three score lead in the first?! Someone put Fubear on suicide watch.

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 01:17 PM
To say the 1st quarter was all Chatty is an understatement. Mercer could get away with mistakes against ETSU, but UTC is showing them what a top team does with mistakes.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 02:10 PM
Anybody check on FuBear...HE is the one in PURPLE!!!!

kdinva
October 22nd, 2022, 02:27 PM
VMI now playing QB #4 after a furman defender suplexed the starter.....24-3 Dins at halftime.

walliver
October 22nd, 2022, 02:46 PM
Citadel leading WCU 24-0 at the half. Apparently the bellhops found a QB (and a defense),

ElCid
October 22nd, 2022, 02:47 PM
Surprised at our game in Cullowhee. New QB for us. Best one so far. Our D has been good, but our O has been our best D with 23 minutes of possession in first half alone.

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 02:55 PM
The Mercer fumbling continues to be a season long problem, now 2 on the day. We've been blessed by Fred Payton not throwing interceptions all year long to offset the fumbling woes.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 02:56 PM
except today!

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 03:08 PM
Can we get a rules expert to weigh in on this penalty that just halted the Mercer comeback:

"Prior to the pass, pass interference on the defense"

I thought by rule, pass interference can't occur until a ball is thrown. It would have to be another type of penalty?

ElCid
October 22nd, 2022, 03:11 PM
Can we get a rules expert to weigh in on this penalty that just halted the Mercer comeback:

"Prior to the pass, pass interference on the defense"

I thought by rule, pass interference can't occur until a ball is thrown. It would have to be another type of penalty?

Might have meant holding?

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Mocs look like they're gonna win every aspect of this game. Turnovers, penalties, special teams, offense, defense... any stat you can come up with. Ford is an amazing rusher, and extremely tough to bring down. A well deserved win all around.

Western Carolina the shocker of the day. Citadel taking WCU to the woodshed was unexpected by just about everyone. Very nice win by CIT, and a brutal loss for WCU to endure.

Citadel had scored 46 points ALL YEAR. They have 31 today and are looking to add more!

rtzlunar
October 22nd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Generally going to draw a flag when you tackle the receiver in front of an official.

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 03:24 PM
Generally going to draw a flag when you tackle the receiver in front of an official.

Sure, but after a conference of officials and they come up with a penalty that doesn't exist in the rule book? Not acceptable.

ElCid
October 22nd, 2022, 03:34 PM
Mocs look like they're gonna win every aspect of this game. Turnovers, penalties, special teams, offense, defense... any stat you can come up with. Ford is an amazing rusher, and extremely tough to bring down. A well deserved win all around.

Western Carolina the shocker of the day. Citadel taking WCU to the woodshed was unexpected by just about everyone. Very nice win by CIT, and a brutal loss for WCU to endure.

Citadel had scored 46 points ALL YEAR. They have 31 today and are looking to add more!

Our new QB is money. As good of a passer as the other two we've used. BUT, he had much better reads than the previous two have had. Not to mention he runs like a FB at 225. Hasn't played in a game since 2018 apparently as a HS Jr. Just watching him makes me feel way better about the rest of the season.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 03:34 PM
I'll admit I wasn't confident in this victory until the Mocs scored the last one... the Bears have a solid Offense and a really good D....in spit of the 3 picks (really two) Fred is really good. and the WR has some great hands!

OrangeAndBlack
October 22nd, 2022, 03:41 PM
I'll admit I wasn't confident in this victory until the Mocs scored the last one... the Bears have a solid Offense and a really good D....in spit of the 3 picks (really two) Fred is really good. and the WR has some great hands!

It's somewhat amazing this was "only" a 20 point loss. With the turnover margin looking ridiculous, and the Mocs basically making no mistakes. If I had to circle one thing that won the Mocs this game, it's yards after contact. So frustrating to have someone dead in their tracks, and they drag a defender for 7 yards. One time Ford dragged defenders for about 15 yards.

Good luck to UTC going forward!

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 03:45 PM
It's somewhat amazing this was "only" a 20 point loss. With the turnover margin looking ridiculous, and the Mocs basically making no mistakes. If I had to circle one thing that won the Mocs this game, it's yards after contact. So frustrating to have someone dead in their tracks, and they drag a defender for 7 yards. One time Ford dragged defenders for about 15 yards.

Good luck to UTC going forward!

He is AMAZING...that's just Ford doing Ford things!!!! When Fred had time he delivered some really perfect balls! ha is gonna be a force in the conference going forward!!! I'd love to have a rematch in Frisco...Hahaha.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 03:48 PM
Looks like a SoCon Shootout developing in JC!!!!!

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 03:53 PM
Looks like a SoCon Shootout developing in JC!!!!!

56 points scored with 36 mins to go!!!!

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 04:06 PM
56 points scored with 36 mins to go!!!!

55 at halftime....I can do math more gooder when I've not been drinking!!!!

kdinva
October 22nd, 2022, 04:20 PM
VMI's injury list keeps growing.....not making excuses, VMI not the same depth as in 2019 and 2020.....today: no Snyder, Weaver, Knapp on defense. Offense now on #4 QB (only 5 on roster), WR Brimigeon has missed 4 games, Knox not 100%, Thomas back today after 3 missed games, OL has one 5th year player, other four are 2nd year players, still developing.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2022, 04:20 PM
By my math....The Mocs are probably moved down to 4th in the power rankings....maybe 5th.

grizband
October 22nd, 2022, 04:43 PM
Sure, but after a conference of officials and they come up with a penalty that doesn't exist in the rule book? Not acceptable.
What was the non-existent penalty call?

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2022, 05:08 PM
What was the non-existent penalty call?
Only saw it live … so not really gettin’ into it …

Looked like 1 Mercer DB or LB knocked the Chatt Retriever (and himself) down - perhaps even before the ball was thrown - then the Chatt QB threw the ball to where he thought the Retriever was a-gonna be and a different Mercer DB caught the ball and returned it deep into Chatt territory.

Looked like DPI to FUBeAR, but IF the Mercer Player hit (without holding) the Chatt Player and knocked him down before the ball left the QB’s hand … is that DPI? … dunno

After a conference, it was ruled DPI & FUBeAR believes Chatt scored a TD just a few plays later.

The Cats
October 22nd, 2022, 05:40 PM
Congrats to The Citadel, on a 34-21 win on the road (it wasn't nearly as close as the final score indicates). They came to Cullowhee today with the only game plan possible, keep the ball away from the WCU offense. It damn well worked too, the Catamounts apparently have a defensive unit that can not stop the triple action running game (nothing new there - our last 3 coaches had the same defensive deficiencies). The Citadel started at QB, a sophomore that had not played since his junior year in high school, and should end up the SoCon player of the week.

That 4th string QB & WCU's porous defense, probably saved Coach Thompson's job...

ElCid
October 22nd, 2022, 05:44 PM
That 4th string QB & WCU's porous defense, probably saved Coach Thompson's job...

Not sure about that. Maybe saved him from being fired mid season, but he may be gone in any event come Nov.

The Cats
October 22nd, 2022, 05:48 PM
Possession time for The Citadel: 42:49 - WCU 17:11

Possession

42:49
17:11

Rushing Attempts

Rushing Yards

BearDownMU
October 22nd, 2022, 06:47 PM
Hutcheson was great. Ford was really great. Chatt's D-line absolutely whipped our O-line. And we turned it over 6 times.

It's amazing we only lost by 20. Chatt came ready to play and it looked as if we did not.

That said, we can still make the playoffs, we just no longer have any margin for error with tough, tough games left.

I thought it was going to hurt losing our RB1 for the season last week, but RB3 goes down today and looks like he's probably done makes it really tough down this final stretch of the season. Might be RB by committee the rest of the way. Hope we can find some way to get it done the rest of the way and still make the playoffs.

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2022, 08:07 PM
Mercer has a good team and will make the playoffs. You've probably got one more to play with to still get in. Good luck the rest of the way - maybe you can help us out by putting a L on Furman and Samford.

Cronic is a heck of a coach and #1 is a baller.

Congrats to The Citadel on a great win against a good WCU team. The Bulldogs have really found their groove the past couple of weeks. And congrats to the other Bulldogs for winning a shootout in Johnson City.

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2022, 08:54 PM
Hutcheson was great. Ford was really great. Chatt's D-line absolutely whipped our O-line. And we turned it over 6 times.

It's amazing we only lost by 20. Chatt came ready to play and it looked as if we did not.

That said, we can still make the playoffs, we just no longer have any margin for error with tough, tough games left.

I thought it was going to hurt losing our RB1 for the season last week, but RB3 goes down today and looks like he's probably done makes it really tough down this final stretch of the season. Might be RB by committee the rest of the way. Hope we can find some way to get it done the rest of the way and still make the playoffs.That was RB4 today. RB3 went down last week vs. ETSU.

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2022, 08:56 PM
And while VMI is struggling it looks like things are going well at VMI-North.

The Cats
October 22nd, 2022, 09:06 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to all these folks again.

Mercer has a good team and will make the playoffs. You've probably got one more to play with to still get in. Good luck the rest of the way - maybe you can help us out by putting a L on Furman and Samford.

Cronic is a heck of a coach and #1 is a baller.

Congrats to The Citadel on a great win against a good WCU team. The Bulldogs have really found their groove the past couple of weeks. And congrats to the other Bulldogs for winning a shootout in Johnson City.

caribbeanhen
October 22nd, 2022, 09:29 PM
And while VMI is struggling it looks like things are going well at VMI-North.

Richmond should never be associated with the North

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2022, 09:33 PM
Richmond should never be associated with the North

Fair enough. I guess it's more VMI - East anyways.

BearDownMU
October 22nd, 2022, 10:09 PM
That was RB4 today. RB3 went down last week vs. ETSU.

I was basing that on my depth chart. Not the Mercer one. IMO, Austin Douglas was our RB1 and Marshall was RB3.
I think the stats would support that.

gofurman
October 23rd, 2022, 12:09 AM
I was basing that on my depth chart. Not the Mercer one. IMO, Austin Douglas was our RB1 and Marshall was RB3.
I think the stats would support that.

so what about RB 2 ? Douglas is #1? Marshall is #3?? Who is #2 and is he out too??

BearDownMU
October 23rd, 2022, 12:38 AM
so what about RB 2 ? Douglas is #1? Marshall is #3?? Who is #2 and is he out too??

No, 2 is Wooten. He's fine.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2022, 06:14 AM
I think the stats would support that.FUBeAR was stackin’ ‘em up this-a-way…

Player/ Status
GP
ATT
Gain
Loss
Net
AVG
TD
Long
AVG/G

RB1 Davis, Fred (2021) / OUT - pre-season

RB2 Wooten II, Al / Active, healthy

RB3 Douglas, Austin / OUT - injured vs. ETSU

RB4 Marshall, Brandon / (Probably) OUT - injured vs. Chatt

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2022, 06:26 AM
Only saw it live … so not really gettin’ into it …

Looked like 1 Mercer DB or LB knocked the Chatt Retriever (and himself) down - perhaps even before the ball was thrown - then the Chatt QB threw the ball to where he thought the Retriever was a-gonna be and a different Mercer DB caught the ball and returned it deep into Chatt territory.

Looked like DPI to FUBeAR, but IF the Mercer Player hit (without holding) the Chatt Player and knocked him down before the ball left the QB’s hand … is that DPI? … dunno

After a conference, it was ruled DPI & FUBeAR believes Chatt scored a TD just a few plays later.Watched replay on ESPN - DPI on Mercer was the correct call. The ‘issue’ for Mercer Fans arose because the ‘Interceptor’ was not the ‘Interferer,’ so they didn’t really see the Mercer DB (the ‘Interferer’) knock down the Chatt Retriever before the Interception occurred.

The call on the Marshall fumble was probably also correct. Really hard to see, but since it was ruled a fumble on the field, from the views available on ESPN replay, there was no reason to overturn - which is most likely why they said “stands” instead of “confirmed.”

That fumble (besides the opening kickoff fumble / pick6 tandem SuicideStart) was the real Crusher for the Bears. Mercer’s O was on the move, getting close to the red zone, and looking like they were going to cut the lead to only 6 @ 34-28 in the 3rd quarter…but, alas, it was not to be…not on that day.

Mocs123
October 23rd, 2022, 07:01 AM
BTW: Mercer brought a pretty good crowd and the were loud. By far the largest visiting contingent we've had this year and probably the most for any school other than JSU, App, or GSU has brought to Finley. I hate that you were disappointed in the game (OK, I'm not), but I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Chattanooga. It was a perfect day for football and sightseeing.

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2022, 07:15 AM
BTW: Mercer brought a pretty good crowd and the were loud. By far the largest visiting contingent we've had this year and probably the most for any school other than JSU, App, or GSU has brought to Finley. I hate that you were disappointed in the game (OK, I'm not), but I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Chattanooga. It was a perfect day for football and sightseeing.
Chattanooga sucks...

But nice job on the win.

Can't wait to see how FUBear contorts logic to keep you in third on his power rankings.

Milktruck74
October 23rd, 2022, 07:18 AM
Mercer is going to be a really bad draw for somebody in the Playoffs. They have a stout Defense and a QB that can deliver (when he isn't facing a DL with 2 Buchannon listers...not too many teams have that power on their DL).

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2022, 07:21 AM
…and house hunting.

Little Miss FUBeAR is moving to the Chatt area soon with the soon-to-be Mr. Little Miss FUBeAR. Focusing on the Ooltewah area, it seems. Who knows, if they live there long enough, FUBeAR may have to add the Mocs to his list of favorite SoCon Teams … nah, not happenin’. FUBeAR did quite enjoy the beverages at Southside Social & Parkway Pourhouse though.

Yep - hard to tell sometimes when you’re in a visiting crowd, but they (we) did feel loud and really stayed IN the game until the end. Would like to think that helped Mercer’s Players stay in the game after the initial fiasco start. They sure didn’t ‘pack it in’ as they did after an almost identical start vs. VMI last year.

Hated that it was Mercer’s Fall Break because they didn’t get enough students sign-up to bring a bus / any buses. Believe they took almost 1000 to Auburn earlier this year.

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2022, 09:04 AM
Jacksonville ain't much. I fully acknowledge that. There's a reason I moved to Michigan as soon as I could after graduation.

But that doesn't change my opinion Chattanooga is a hole. The aquarium is cool and you guys have lookout mountain. But for a city that size, it's not great. It's like a poor man's Knoxville.

In the scope of Chattanooga bringing more of their fans to games and being more of a staple in the community, the location of Finley being in the middle of a run down industrial park doesn't help y'all.