PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 7, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2022, 09:23 PM
The start to the second half of the season has wrapped up, and despite the fact that nearly one-third of the Top 25 was idle this week, the combination of a few big games with a few losses in the Top 25 should shift the Top 25 landscape this week.

Within the Top 25, #1 North Dakota State and #3 Montana both took hard-fought one-score losses to #2 South Dakota State and #30 Idaho, respectively.

The other teams with losses included #14 Elon to #26 Rhode Island, #21 Villanova to #20 Richmond, and #25 Eastern Kentucky to FBS-bound Sam Houston.

Outside of the Top 25 (among the teams in the ORV category), only #29 Monmouth and #35 Eastern Washington lost to unranked Maine and to #4 Sac State, respectively.

At this point, all teams in the Top 34 can still make it to 7 wins, and only one of these teams has a losing record.

As always, CLICK HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wWNulEbqdUmxGyZ3x8ULQPpmGEdYMbJlJlWdrwd1PFM/edit?usp=sharing) to see How They Fared, and also as always, any mistakes, please let me know.

FUBeAR
October 15th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Don’t care how far y’all drop Montana & NDSU for losing to FCS Teams.

As long as undefeated-in-FCS Chattanooga & Mercer move up 2 slots to #7 & #8, when y’all do the right thing, FUBeAR won’t complain.

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2022, 10:47 PM
Don’t care how far y’all drop Montana & NDSU for losing to FCS Teams.

As long as undefeated-in-FCS Chattanooga & Mercer move up 2 slots to #7 & #8, when y’all do the right thing, FUBeAR won’t complain.

Would you rather have #7 and #8 in October, or a Natty at the end of the year?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2022, 11:56 PM
Idaho Vandals are very good and they are really solid all over the field. They are a team a lot probably know less about so I will tell you that they looked more Montana today than we did. Their QB is probably going to end on and possibly winning some of the end of year awards if he continues on the path he was today. Think Eric Barrierre as a frosh....there are a lot of similarities there. Then the front 7 on is really good and physical, they get pressure with 4 and the secondary is fairly smothering about 90% of the time. If you think of a traditional MVFC team and a traditional BSC team these guys would be the offspring. xlolx

They are very well coached and more disciplined than I've seen from Idaho in a very long time.

Id bet my bottom dollar that they are better than at least 8 or 10 choices on your ballot.

The last 5 minutes of Idaho State and this game we were mostly outplayed. I think we are still a pretty damn good team but we have not done well now with tougher competition in this game so man I don't know how we really stack up right now.

Idaho has no FCS losses and 2 barely lost to decent FBS teams. Do some justice to that in your ballot and don't realy on the fact that you were wrong about it before today.

SDSU and lineage had a hell of a day by taking out #1 and #3 today. Well done Stig.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 12:00 AM
Would you rather have #7 and #8 in October, or a Natty at the end of the year?
All about the journey

Christiank22
October 16th, 2022, 12:13 AM
We should be out of the top 5 IMO. With Matt Entz as head coach we are not a top team. That dude will single handidly ruin NDSU

ElCid
October 16th, 2022, 12:38 AM
It is now getting harder to rank teams just in view of one H2H. Especially true in CAA now as there are teams who have lost to others who don't have as good of a body of work to back up ranking winners of H2H over those they defeated, "just" based on the H2H. Should happen more in the next couple weeks in the other conferences as well. Just something to consider.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2022, 02:01 AM
It is now getting harder to rank teams just in view of one H2H. Especially true in CAA now as there are teams who have lost to others who don't have as good of a body of work to back up ranking winners of H2H over those they defeated, "just" based on the H2H. Should happen more in the next couple weeks in the other conferences as well. Just something to consider.

The H2H diminishes with each game in reference to overall record after the 1st 1/2 for sure. Tie breaker type thing if it is 50/50 but your philosophy is dead on in that regard.

Chalupa Batman
October 16th, 2022, 06:36 AM
Idaho Vandals are very good and they are really solid all over the field. They are a team a lot probably know less about so I will tell you that they looked more Montana today than we did. Their QB is probably going to end on and possibly winning some of the end of year awards if he continues on the path he was today. Think Eric Barrierre as a frosh....there are a lot of similarities there. Then the front 7 on is really good and physical, they get pressure with 4 and the secondary is fairly smothering about 90% of the time. If you think of a traditional MVFC team and a traditional BSC team these guys would be the offspring. xlolx

They are very well coached and more disciplined than I've seen from Idaho in a very long time.

Id bet my bottom dollar that they are better than at least 8 or 10 choices on your ballot.

The last 5 minutes of Idaho State and this game we were mostly outplayed. I think we are still a pretty damn good team but we have not done well now with tougher competition in this game so man I don't know how we really stack up right now.

Idaho has no FCS losses and 2 barely lost to decent FBS teams. Do some justice to that in your ballot and don't realy on the fact that you were wrong about it before today.

SDSU and lineage had a hell of a day by taking out #1 and #3 today. Well done Stig.

Can confirm about Idaho. Watched the 1st half yesterday and then had the game on off to the side during the Marker game. Idaho completely controlled that game and that win was much more decisive than the final score indicates. Wasn't quite sure what to make of them after two competitive games against P5 teams and then blowing out 3 bad FCS teams. But they look like a real good team, very impressed with the Vandals.

The rest of their schedule is favorable too. They do play at Sac State, but play UCD & EWU at home and avoid Weber State & Montana State. A 7-1 Big Sky record and 8-1 overall FCS record is certainly within reach.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 08:04 AM

I ranked them a few weeks ago and #19 last week

crusader11
October 16th, 2022, 08:35 AM
I hope pollsters do the right thing and drop Montana out of the top ten.

They've played a weak schedule (no FBS game) and the best team they've beaten this season is either 1-5 South Dakota or 1-5 Indiana State.

I've been high on Idaho for a while now, but losing out home to a fringe top 25 team is grounds for a significant drop, IMO.

They'll have a great chance to move back into the top five over the next two weeks with major opportunities at Sac St and Weber St, but for now they should be ranked ~15, IMO.

kab
October 16th, 2022, 08:48 AM
Gets tough to do rankings, what do you do with teams that had a bye and only a few teams above some of them lost, do they drop or stay the same and bring other teams up

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Rhode Island beats Elon
Elon beats William & Mary
William & Mary beats Delaware
Delaware beats Rhode Island

Simple...

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 09:39 AM

They've played a weak schedule (no FBS game) and the best team they've beaten this season is either 1-5 South Dakota or 1-5 Indiana State.

I've been high on Idaho for a while now, but losing out home to a fringe top 25 team is grounds for a significant drop, IMO.

They'll have a great chance to move back into the top five over the next two weeks with major opportunities at Sac St and Weber St, but for now they should be ranked ~15, IMO.

done

been saying Big Sky over rated

not Sacramento State and Weber State though

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 09:40 AM
Rhode Island beats Elon
Elon beat William & Mary
William Mary beats Delaware
Delaware beats Rhode Island

Simple...

haha thats funny

MSUBobcat
October 16th, 2022, 09:45 AM
done

been saying Big Sky over rated

not Sacramento State and Weber State though

Overrated, or just had the wrong one highly rated out of UM and Idaho? Should still be 4 teams in the top... 12-15 and 3 in the top 6-8. And that's irrespective of how far the Griz fall.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2022, 09:59 AM

So…you’re saying poll voters shouldn’t require themselves to be ‘married’ to the assessments they made at the beginning of the season, which had to be mostly speculative? Instead, they should consider, and weigh much more heavily, new & current data as it becomes available? And, you’re also saying that there will be more data added later that could indicate further revision of the already revised assessments, perhaps even back toward the original assessment?

That’s a very logical perspective.

Thank you.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Overrated, or just had the wrong one highly rated out of UM and Idaho? Should still be 4 teams in the top... 12-15 and 3 in the top 6-8. And that's irrespective of how far the Griz fall.

overrated

The Big Sky is very good but too many Big Sky teams on a roll in the poll

POD Knows
October 16th, 2022, 10:37 AM
overrated

The Big Sky is very good but too many Big Sky teams on a roll in the pollAnd these teams are going to finally start playing each other, could end up with a bunch of teams with two losses.

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2022, 11:18 AM
I got the Big Sky, CAA, and MVFC with 3 at large bids each right now. With Idaho emerging, that could make 4 for them and 5 bids in total.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 11:22 AM
And these teams are going to finally start playing each other, could end up with a bunch of teams with two losses.

yup and two losses will get a handful of them in the playoffs

Im liking Sacramento State and think this is the year they get over the hump and beat a good team out of the Big Sky

Cameron Skattebo is a beast

Weber State looks very solid

Catbooster
October 16th, 2022, 11:47 AM
yup and two losses will get a handful of them in the playoffs

Im liking Sacramento State and think this is the year they get over the hump and beat a good team out of the Big Sky

Cameron Skattebo is a beast

Weber State looks very solid

Sac State has beaten lots of good teams out of the Big Sky - virtually every team they've played in the last few years. Their problem has been getting a win in the playoffs. Hopefully they've gotten over that.

Weber has been solid for a number of years - on defense. They've been unable to field a good offense. It appears they have found an offense this year.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Sac State has beaten lots of good teams out of the Big Sky - virtually every team they've played in the last few years. Their problem has been getting a win in the playoffs. Hopefully they've gotten over that.

Weber has been solid for a number of years - on defense. They've been unable to field a good offense. It appears they have found an offense this year.

Austin Peay

Weber was always solid until they played JMU

HensRock
October 16th, 2022, 01:46 PM
I got the Big Sky, CAA, and MVFC with 3 at large bids each right now. With Idaho emerging, that could make 4 for them and 5 bids in total.

JUST AT LARGE?

I'd say:
3 Big Sky
1 (maybe 2) MVFC
1 CAA

...and BSC teams cannibalizing each other and picking up a few losses does not make the teams weaker (or IMO, less deserving of high rankings)

Carrib, we used to complain about this very same thing when the CAA had a lot of strong teams and would beat each other up. That shoe is on the Big Sky's foot now.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 01:53 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1581455427723632640

Skattebo is a beast

SeattleCat
October 16th, 2022, 01:53 PM
overrated

The Big Sky is very good but too many Big Sky teams on a roll in the poll

The Big Sky is still a very good conference even if Montana isn't atop. Weber and Sac are legitimate top 5 teams, Montana State is on the cusp of top 5 and they've been getting better every week. Montana and Idaho are top 15 teams and imo UC Davis is a top 25 team. The Big Sky is far from soft, Montana and Montana State's ranking were just inflated to start the season.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Gets tough to do rankings, what do you do with teams that had a bye and only a few teams above some of them lost, do they drop or stay the same and bring other teams up

They can do either. It does not depend on them doing anything, it depends on what those that did play have done to the point you put your ballot together and where you see the idle team in comparison to the other resume's.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2022, 02:30 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1581455427723632640

Skattebo is a beast

Yeah, I'm not sure that is news to anyone in the BSC but the rest of the nation might just be catching up with it. Damn powerful young man for sure.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2022, 02:40 PM
The Big Sky is still a very good conference even if Montana isn't atop. Weber and Sac are legitimate top 5 teams, Montana State is on the cusp of top 5 and they've been getting better every week. Montana and Idaho are top 15 teams and imo UC Davis is a top 25 team. The Big Sky is far from soft, Montana and Montana State's ranking were just inflated to start the season.

you haven’t been reading all my posts but admittedly, theirs a lot of them

The Cats
October 16th, 2022, 06:49 PM
The start to the second half of the season has wrapped up, and despite the fact that nearly one-third of the Top 25 was idle this week, the combination of a few big games with a few losses in the Top 25 should shift the Top 25 landscape this week.

Within the Top 25, #1 North Dakota State and #3 Montana both took hard-fought one-score losses to #2 South Dakota State and #30 Idaho, respectively.

The other teams with losses included #14 Elon to #26 Rhode Island, #21 Villanova to #20 Richmond, and #25 Eastern Kentucky to FBS-bound Sam Houston.

Outside of the Top 25 (among the teams in the ORV category), only #29 Monmouth and #35 Eastern Washington lost to unranked Maine and to #4 Sac State, respectively.

At this point, all teams in the Top 34 can still make it to 7 wins, and only one of these teams has a losing record.

As always, CLICK HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wWNulEbqdUmxGyZ3x8ULQPpmGEdYMbJlJlWdrwd1PFM/edit?usp=sharing) to see How They Fared, and also as always, any mistakes, please let me know.

Thanks for all the hard work.....

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2022, 10:17 AM
About 40 min. left to get your vote in so get on it if you have not done it yet.