PDA

View Full Version : A Question For The Voters

ndsu71und74
October 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
A question not meant to upset anyone, but how would the final AGS and/or other polls handle it if NDSU ran the rest of the table, finishing 11-0and then the FCS championship game was won by a team with one or more regular season losses? I'm not suggesting that the winning team would not be the FCS Champion, because they will have earned it on the field, but how would the ratings look?

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
how would the final AGS and/or other polls handle it if NDSU ran the rest of the table, finishing 11-0and then the FCS championship game was won by a team with one or more regular season losses?
The champ will most likely receive every first place vote after the playoffs. They will have just beaten four ranked teams in a row.

GannonFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
NDSU won't get any more than a handful of votes, assuming they get any. The Great West hasn't been any good this year, NDSU will end the season, in all likliehood, having not played a single team that will make the playoffs, and their two I-A wins are fine but Central Michigan is only 4-4 and just gave up 70 points to Clemson and Minnesota's only win is a 6pt win over Miami (OH). Probably a very good team but they won't get a chance to prove it. The National Champ will have played 4 playoff teams in 4 weeks - NDSU just can't match that.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
i will undoubtedly vote the champion number one no matter what...

if that is the case ndsu will certainly get my second vote but in no way could they get my number one vote

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
NDSU won't get any more than a handful of votes, assuming they get any. The Great West hasn't been any good this year, NDSU will end the season, in all likliehood, having not played a single team that will make the playoffs, and their two I-A wins are fine but Central Michigan is only 4-4 and just gave up 70 points to Clemson and Minnesota's only win is a 6pt win over Miami (OH). Probably a very good team but they won't get a chance to prove it. The National Champ will have played 4 playoff teams in 4 weeks - NDSU just can't match that.

This is like deja vu all over again.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Hammersmith
October 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
I suppose the worst case would be if WIU ran the rest of their schedule and then took the title. That's the only scenario that I can see that would cause problems. Of course, the chances of all that happening are pretty small.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
The champ will most likely receive every first place vote after the playoffs. They will have just beaten four ranked teams in a row.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It is unfortunate not only for NDSU but for all fans of FCS that we will not get to see how the Bison would do in the playoffs, but in the end (as Bison fans know from D-II) that is the road that must be travelled to be #1.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I suppose the worst case would be if WIU ran the rest of their schedule and then took the title. That's the only scenario that I can see that would cause problems. Of course, the chances of all that happening are pretty small.

Yep, because that's the only team you have played (or will play) that has a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs.... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
October 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I know, we can play the Gridiron Classic 2! The winner of the Gridiron Classic 1, ( NEC Champ vs PFL Champ ), can play another game while all the other good teams are in the playoffs.... Have the Great West Commish contact Patty to make it happen!!:D xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
I would not rule out voting for a Yale or NDSU for #1 at the end of the year.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
It is unfortunate not only for NDSU but for all fans of FCS that we will not get to see how the Bison would do in the playoffs
Agreed. The waiting period is too long.... period. xrulesx

dbackjon
October 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM

YALE???

Hammersmith
October 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yep, because that's the only team you have played (or will play) that has a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs.... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I do hate that teams seem to self destruct after we schedule them. Georgia Southern was still doing fine when we signed a home and home, then they imploded. Illinois State was a top ten team last year, now... Who foresaw Stephen F Austin still being winless this late into the year? SHSU was supposed to be a contender with Bomar; they looked great until after our game. We scheduled Central Michigan right after they won the MAC, who knew the wheels would come off this year.

What I'm trying to say is that our AD has tried to put together a decent schedule for the last two years. We can't help it if the teams start to suck after we schedule them. (Of course, you expect teams like Mississippi Valley State to suck, but everyone should have one or two of those.)

I'm not bitter about it, but I am mildly frustrated. Criticism of our schedule is valid, criticism of our scheduling isn't; if that makes any sense. I just wish we could really show you what we've got. We tried to get both App State and UNI on the schedule for this season, but everybody involved wanted the first home game and the talks stalled out.

GannonFan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM

Again with the Yale - didn't the 3OT game against an unimpressive Penn team (only wins against Columbia and Georgetown - losses to nova, Dartmouth, and Lafayette) sow a little doubt that Yale would struggle incredibly against a UNI, or a team that would win 4 playoff games?

ndsu71und74
October 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
...And I thought that bears were supposed to get lazy and mellow just before hibernation, not grouchy. Didn't mean to upset you AzGriz. I was just curious. I am NOT suggesting that NDSU get into the playoffs or anything like that. It just seems like a goofy deal that the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom (Long pause after that comment!) has created. I haven't followed the FCS to know if something like what I have suggested has ever happened before. But I suppose it would be like any NCAA team in any sport being on probation and then doing well during the season and gaining a rating. Didn't Alabama have something like that happen to them a few years back? Help me here. I'm old and senile. (There. Maybe that will help put the bear back to sleep.)

GannonFan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
I do hate that teams seem to self destruct after we schedule them. Georgia Southern was still doing fine when we signed a home and home, then they imploded. Illinois State was a top ten team last year, now... Who foresaw Stephen F Austin still being winless this late into the year? SHSU was supposed to be a contender with Bomar; they looked great until after our game. We scheduled Central Michigan right after they won the MAC, who knew the wheels would come off this year.

What I'm trying to say is that our AD has tried to put together a decent schedule for the last two years. We can't help it if the teams start to suck after we schedule them. (Of course, you expect teams like Mississippi Valley State to suck, but everyone should have one or two of those.)

I'm not bitter about it, but I am mildly frustrated. Criticism of our schedule is valid, criticism of our scheduling isn't; if that makes any sense. I just wish we could really show you what we've got. We tried to get both App State and UNI on the schedule for this season, but everybody involved wanted the first home game and the talks stalled out.

I agree, there's a lot of bad luck involved. As opposed to a San Diego, at least you guys have tried to put together a good schedule. And heck, you did play two FBS teams - not good ones, but FBS teams nonetheless. That's how the cookie crumbles though. Last year for this, if you can get out of the Gateway next year then we'll see you in the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
October 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM

You can't be serious... Yale didn't want to play USD anymore because of what happened in the last two games. This years Torero team is better than the last couple of years.

Heck, USD even flew out there and beat Yale. Funny how Yale gets so much respect, but USD doesn't.

pantherfan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM

So if this correct, why not go play the game then??? Why would one of our playoff contenders go to North Dakota to play the Bison? UNI and ASU needed another home game and would have gladly played you on our terms. We aren't in the business of giving away home games to make another school feel good though...xcoffeex

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
xeekx A team that wouldn't have even faced another ranked team all year?! xconfusedx xsmhx

FargoBison
October 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
So if this correct, why not go play the game then??? Why would one of our playoff contenders go to North Dakota to play the Bison? UNI and ASU needed another home game and would have gladly played you on our terms. We aren't in the business of giving away home games to make another school feel good though...xcoffeex

NDSU needed the home game, there was no way the school was only going to play 4 at the dome.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
For the record, based on the prior week's polls, I've been much slower to rank Yale then the average AGS voter. I rarely read too much into one win or loss and want to see multiple games before coming to any conclusion. Unfortunately, Yale and the other Ivies don't give us this opportunity. When I see UNH clobber Dartmouth, then Dartmouth beat Penn, then Yale struggle with Penn, I have a difficult time ranking Yale very highly.

Until the Ivies play more OOC games outside the Patriot League, then I'll not be very quick to rank any Ivy too high. And part of the problem is that the Patriot doesn't play enough OOC games outside the Ivy.

Usually we have to draw opinions based on:

UNH-Dartmouth
URI-Brown
Villanova-Penn

Then add in some others like:

Colgate-UMass
Lafayette-Princeton
Lehigh-Penn
Fordham-URI

That's not a large enough sampling to really ascertain the relative strengths of Ivy and Patriot teams IMHO. Thankfully, we're seeing additions like:

Princeton-Hampton
Towson-Colgate
Holy Cross-UMass

But we really need more games of that ilk to better assess the relative strength of all the teams in the East. But you know what, I don't really care if we assess the Ivy schools well because they don't participate in the playoffs. And when I see Northeastern agree to a three for one (or was it all four games at Harvard?), yet the series didn't continue, then I just shake my head at the Ivies.

What I'd really prefer to see is the Patriot League, as playoff participants, to reduce their OOC games with the Ivy League and increase their games with the CAA (and the NEC as they increase schollies). There are numerous pairings that are extremely cost effective and geographically make sense (bus rather than airplane). Here are some examples:

Holy Cross -- Northeastern, UNH, URI, continue with UMass
Fordham -- Hofstra, UMass (A-10 mate), continue w/ URI
Georgetown-- Villanova (Big East mate), W&M, Richmond, Towson
Lehigh -- Delaware, Villanova, Hofstra, Richmond, W&M
Lafayette -- Villanova, Hofstra, Richmond, W&M
Colgate -- UNH (play in many other sports), Northeastern, continue w/ UMass,
Bucknell -- Villanova, Richmond, W&M, Towson, JMU

Having just witnessed the UNH-Iona debacle, any UNH-Ivy/Patriot match up would be a much better game on our schedule.

uofmman1122
October 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I might even go as far as putting all four Semi-final teams ahead of an undefeated NDSU, depending how they played in the playoffs. Especially if we get a situation where a low ranked seed wins the first 2 games. Even if they lose in the semis, they've proven that they can beat two good teams when they needed to, even if they lost 2 or 3 games in the regular season.

Should be interesting, but I don't think an undefeated NDSU has much of an argument this year about being #1 over the champion, even if the champion doesn't go undefeated in the regular season.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
FWIW, here is the final regular season and post-playoffs AGS from last year...

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
12/18/2006
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St (32)
2. Massachusetts
3. Montana
4. North Dakota St

11/20/2006
1. Appalachian St (41)
2. Montana (2)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. North Dakota St (2)

DOME
October 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
NDSU needed the home game, there was no way the school was only going to play 4 at the dome.

Ditto for the Panthers, at 7-0 right now only two of those games were played in the paradise known as the UNIDOME.
Not including playoffs we only have five home games this year.

Tailbone
October 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

Unless of course it's an undefeated Montana - as they will have played cupcakes OOC, The big fluffy sky, and had all play-off games at home. xrolleyesx

In that case, there should be 4-5 teams more deserving of a #1 vote despite a Griz victory in Chattanooga. xlolx

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Unless of course it's an undefeated Montana - as they will have played cupcakes OOC, The big fluffy sky, and had all play-off games at home. xrolleyesx

In that case, there should be 4-5 teams more deserving of a #1 vote despite a Griz victory in Chattanooga. xlolx
True, I would have a problem voting Montana #1 no matter what they do. xcoffeex :p

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
FWIW, here is the final regular season and post-playoffs AGS from last year...

12/18/2006
1. Appalachian St (32)
2. Massachusetts
3. Montana
4. North Dakota St

11/20/2006
1. Appalachian St (41)
2. Montana (2)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. North Dakota St (2)

How in the world were there so many more voters? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
True, I would have a problem voting Montana #1 no matter what they do. xcoffeex :p

That says it all. xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

;)

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
YALE???

My reaction exactly xconfusedx

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
How in the world were there so many more voters? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
Well, you probably had people voting for too many Big Sky teams in the final ballot and gettting rejected. xeyebrowx :p

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM

We know the feeling xnodx

Tailbone
October 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM

It's called Griz envy....and afflicts wannabes. xlolx xlolx

spelunker64
October 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
What! We're not eligible.. CRAP