PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Outlook - Craziness!!!

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
OK. Here's a VERY plausible season-ending scenario, and I don't know the rules well enough to know who qualifies for what:

Montana (currently 7-0, 4-0) - @ NAU (L), PSU (W), @ ISU (W), @ MSU (L), finishes @ 9-2, 6-2 in conference (losses to NAU & MSU)

NAU (currently 5-3, 4-1) - Montana (W), @ Montana State (W), EWU (L), finishes @ 7-4, 6-2 in conference (losses to EWU and Sac State)

EWU (currently 4-3, 2-2) - @ Sac State (W), UNC (W), @ NAU (W), Weber (W), finishes @ 8-3, 6-2 in conference with losses to Montana & Portland State

Montana State (currently 5-2, 3-1) - @ UNC (W), NAU (L), @ PSU (W), Montana (W), finishes @ 8-3, 6-2 in conference with losses to NAU and EWU.

Probably the biggest reach here is EWU winning in Flagstaff. Other than that, the rest is entirely feasible and in fact is really what I expect to happen.

So, we could conceivably end up with FOUR 6-2 teams in the conference, one being 9-2, two being 8-3 and one being 7-4! In this jumbled up scenario, who gets the autobid? They've all got the requisite 7 D-I (except NAU) wins, but each one would have been beaten by at least ONE of the other co-champs (or in Montana & MSU's case, by TWO of the co-champs)....

Anybody know how this would go down?

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Then, that being said....WHO GETS LEFT OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS???? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
some of what you wrote doesnt make sense...

you have nau currently 5-3 with a loss to ewu wouldnt that put them at 7-4? you have them at 8-3...

same thing with montana st as they are 5-2 and you have them losing one which would put them at 8-3 not your 9-2!

just a couple of points

NE MT GRIZZ
October 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
The Griz go even if they don't get the auto. The NCAA needs to make money.

I got a headache just thinking about the tie break stuff.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
some of what you wrote doesnt make sense...

you have nau currently 5-3 with a loss to ewu wouldnt that put them at 7-4? you have them at 8-3...

same thing with montana st as they are 5-2 and you have them losing one which would put them at 8-3 not your 9-2!

just a couple of points

thanks...I've corrected it... :o

Appaholic
October 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Montana gets home field throughout playoffs.....regardless of how they finish......because it is WA/GRIZ....

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Big Sky responds:

"When two or more Conference members are tied in the final Conference standings, the team championship, for purposes of determing the automatic bid, shall be determined on the following basis:br>
HEAD-TO-HEAD COMPETITION
1- Consider the head-to-head record during the Conference season's play.

2- Record against Conference teams in descending order of finish, beginning with the number one team. (For use in the case of more than two tied teams, the normal tie-breaking procedure would be used. When one or more of these teams is eliminated by using the tie-breaking procedure, the remaining teams involved would then return to the criteria listed in 1., above, to break the tie. This will be done until a team is established for that particular seeding position.)

3- Teams with highest Sagarin ranking.

4- Coin flip between the tied teams.

In all tie-breaking procedures, if more than one tie exists, the tie among/between the teams lower in teh descending order will be broken first, to facilitate the process of breaking the tie between/among teams higher in the order. "

http://www.bigskyconf.com/qa_front.asp?qaid=377

If I read things right in your scenario NAU would get the auto bid, since they would be 2-1 vs the 3 other co-champs, and everyone else would be 1-2.

Walkon79
October 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Now my head hurts!!!

GoldandBlack
October 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Would be more logical if the coin toss was #3 and the Sagarin ratings were #4.xrolleyesx

already123
October 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Wow that is crazy! And what is even more frightening is that this is VERY MUCH a possibility! WOW!

NEVER a dull season in the Bis Sky!

uofmman1122
October 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Frightening stuff....Good lord, I hope the Griz can come back home this Sunday with a win.....xrotatehx

BisonBacker
October 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
OK. Here's a VERY plausible season-ending scenario, and I don't know the rules well enough to know who qualifies for what:

Montana (currently 7-0, 4-0) - @ NAU (L), PSU (W), @ ISU (W), @ MSU (L), finishes @ 9-2, 6-2 in conference (losses to NAU & MSU)

NAU (currently 5-3, 4-1) - Montana (W), @ Montana State (W), EWU (L), finishes @ 7-4, 6-2 in conference (losses to EWU and Sac State)

EWU (currently 4-3, 2-2) - @ Sac State (W), UNC (W), @ NAU (W), Weber (W), finishes @ 8-3, 6-2 in conference with losses to Montana & Portland State

Montana State (currently 5-2, 3-1) - @ UNC (W), NAU (L), @ PSU (W), Montana (W), finishes @ 8-3, 6-2 in conference with losses to NAU and EWU.

Probably the biggest reach here is EWU winning in Flagstaff. Other than that, the rest is entirely feasible and in fact is really what I expect to happen.

So, we could conceivably end up with FOUR 6-2 teams in the conference, one being 9-2, two being 8-3 and one being 7-4! In this jumbled up scenario, who gets the autobid? They've all got the requisite 7 D-I (except NAU) wins, but each one would have been beaten by at least ONE of the other co-champs (or in Montana & MSU's case, by TWO of the co-champs)....

Anybody know how this would go down?

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Then, that being said....WHO GETS LEFT OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS???? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Must have gotten that crystal ball fixed xlolx

BisonBacker
October 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Before you go off AZGriz just having fun with ya.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Must have gotten that crystal ball fixed xlolx

Before you go off AZGriz just having fun with ya.

As a matter of fact, yes! :D

There's a difference between having an OPINION (me) and stating the future as FACT (Ronin). xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Montana gets home field throughout playoffs.....regardless of how they finish......because it is WA/GRIZ....

I like the way you think, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.... xsmhx xcoolx

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM

If I read things right in your scenario NAU would get the auto bid, since they would be 2-1 vs the 3 other co-champs, and everyone else would be 1-2.

From a "multiple-bid conference scenario", this may be the best alternative....from a "getting a high seed for the Griz" scenario....not so much. :( :( :(

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Wow that is crazy! And what is even more frightening is that this is VERY MUCH a possibility! WOW!

NEVER a dull season in the Bis Sky!

I honestly believe it's gonna happen. Like I said, the one caveat is whether EWU plays well in the dome. I think the championship may come down to THAT game.

Of course, if we manage to escape the Walkup with a W, then I'll be breathing a LOT easier....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think Montana and EWU win out and go to the playoffs - EWU gets sent to UNI, and pulls off the shocker.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
I think Montana and EWU win out and go to the playoffs - EWU gets sent to UNI, and pulls off the shocker.

Wherever EWU gets sent (assuming your scenario holds true) I hope it's not Wa/Griz again! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Grizo406
October 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Of course, if we manage to escape the Walkup with a W, then I'll be breathing a LOT easier....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

The only real key to this game, AZ, is for you to wear "the hat" for this one, and don't take it off for any reason!

Its pure magic!

I'm thinkin' that it musta' been some where fairly close to you this past Saturday, when the Griz had the ball.xnodx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
The only real key to this game, AZ, is for you to wear "the hat" for this one, and don't take it off for any reason!

Its pure magic!

I'm thinkin' that it musta' been some where fairly close to you this past Saturday, when the Griz had the ball.xnodx xlolx xlolx

I only take "the hat" off for one reason, Grizo. Then, I'm creatin' a little magic of my own! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Gotta love "the hat"!!! It would have only been better had the one and only Grizo autographed it for me! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

P.S. Why don't you get your sorry azz down here? I just got rid of two extra tickets to the game, but I've got two more with your name on them!

already123
October 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I honestly believe it's gonna happen. Like I said, the one caveat is whether EWU plays well in the dome. I think the championship may come down to THAT game.

For some odd reason....I believe it too. Anyone in the country would hate to face EWU and that offense at the last game of the year

Grizo406
October 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I only take "the hat" off for one reason, Grizo. Then, I'm creatin' a little magic of my own! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Gotta love "the hat"!!! It would have only been better had the one and only Grizo autographed it for me! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

P.S. Why don't you get your sorry azz down here? I just got rid of two extra tickets to the game, but I've got two more with your name on them!

Love the Smokey &The Bandit style of your reply, and the ticket offer, but Mitch & Murray's significant others require my presence in "The Last Great Place", so I'm stuck in the Missoula area, and its some what tolerable!:D

kalm
October 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
It goes down as suggested with NAU receiving the auto-bid, and in a moment of unprecedented wisdom the other three are granted at large bids in seperate brackets. Of course the all BSC semi see's Eastern getting it's revenge at Wah-griz and beating the Jacks in Chatty for the first of 3 chippers under the Nichols to Boyce era. xthumbsupx

Still, a lot of football left - I'll settle for a win this week at Sac.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
It goes down as suggested with NAU receiving the auto-bid, and in a moment of unprecedented wisdom the other three are granted at large bids in seperate brackets. Of course the all BSC semi see's Eastern getting it's revenge at Wah-griz and beating the Jacks in Chatty for the first of 3 chippers under the Nichols to Boyce era. xthumbsupx

Still, a lot of football left - I'll settle for a win this week at Sac.

Wow, did you just get through your Stewart Smalley Positive Thinkers course or something? :)

Peems
October 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Wacky scenario, but do you really believe NAU can beat all these teams, only losing to EWU? NAU has been inconsistent and that is there biggest problem. Kriesen got hurt in the second half of the Sac. game but he is definitely the key to stopping them. If the Griz can have at least half of the offensive consistency, that they had last week I like their chances.

bobbythekidd
October 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
I am sure this has been answered before, but in the years Montana has been in the playoffs, have they ever NOT hosted?

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
I am sure this has been answered before, but in the years Montana has been in the playoffs, have they ever NOT hosted?

Lots of times. @ McNeese & @ W. Illinois in the 90s and probably others.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM

89-@ GSU
94-@ Youngstown
95 @ Marshall (don't give me any neutral site BS, that was a home game for them.)
97 @ McNeese
98 @ Western Ill.
02 @ McNeese

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
ursus- I think the question was "has there been a year where MT had no home playoff games at all". Some of those you listed were years with at least one home playoff game IIRC.

bobbythekidd
October 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
ursus- I think the question was "has there been a year where MT had no home playoff games at all". Some of those you listed were years with at least one home playoff game IIRC.
Yes that was the question. Someone earlier said Montana would host b/c the NCAA wanted the money (a cut of the ticket sales, or higher guarantee I assume). That is why I asked the question.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM

Yes that was the question. Someone earlier said Montana would host b/c the NCAA wanted the money (a cut of the ticket sales, or higher guarantee I assume). That is why I asked the question.

OK, I got ya now guys.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM

No they wouldn't... NAU would be 2-1, because he has them losing to EWU. EWU would have the two wins (NAU, MSU) and a loss to UM, and UM would be 1-2 with losses to NAU and MSU, so it would down to EWU and NAU with 2-1 records against the rest of the tied teams, and by rule of a head to head win, EWU would get the autobid.

Whammy!

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
A different scenario, throw Portland State in there.

Portland State runs the table and wins out.
Montana State beats Montana...

Conference records---

PSU 6-2
UM 6-2
MSU 6-2
NAU 5-3

Portland State gets the conference autobid with wins over both Montana and Montana State.

Hey, everyone else is dreaming...why can't I?xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
A different scenario, throw Portland State in there.

Portland State runs the table and wins out.
Montana State beats Montana...

Conference records---

PSU 6-2
UM 6-2
MSU 6-2
NAU 5-3

Portland State gets the conference autobid with wins over both Montana and Montana State.

Hey, everyone else is dreaming...why can't I?xsmiley_wix

Also a plausible scenario...gotta love the BSC, huh? xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

GrizDen
October 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think my brain just exploded reading all of these scenarios. None of them are out of the realm of possibility.

4 more weeks, we'll see if the BSC picture gets "clear and sunny" or "cloudy and rainy" as we go along. If I had to double down, I'd put my money on "cloudy and rainy".

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Let me see objectively how this could pan out (right now I have no idea)...

EWU (currently 2-2 conference)

@ Sac (W)
UNC (W)
@ NAU (?)
WSU (W)

comes to 5-2 with one unknown.

UM (currently 4-0 conference)

@ NAU (?)
PSU (W)
@ ISU (W)
@ MSU (?)

comes to 6-0 with two unknowns

MSU (currently 3-1 conference)

@ UNC (W)
NAU (?)
@ PSU (?)
UM (?)

comes to 4-1 with three unknowns

NAU (currently 4-1 conference)

UM (?)
@ MSU (?)
EWU (?)

comes to 4-1 with three unknowns

Hmmm. Uh. xconfusedx Too many variables. OK, let's do this. For easiness sake, home team wins in the variable games.

EWU
loss @ NAU
record 5-3

UM
losses @NAU and @MSU
record 6-2

MSU
wins against NAU and UM
loss @ PSU
record 6-2

NAU
wins against EWU and UM
loss at MSU
record 6-2

UM 6-2
MSU 6-2
NAU 6-2
EWU 5-3
PSU 4-4

MSU gets the autobid with wins over NAU and UM. NAU takes second with head to head over UM, but does the Jacks get in the playoffs over the Griz? Or does the committee take two at large from the Big Sky?

Judging from this, methinks the Cats have the inside track.

Peems
October 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Who do the cats have this weekend?

CrunchGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 12:35 AM

Hmmm. Uh. xconfusedx Too many variables. OK, let's do this. For easiness sake, home team wins in the variable games.

EWU
loss @ NAU
record 5-3

UM
losses @NAU and @MSU
record 6-2

MSU
wins against NAU and UM
loss @ PSU
record 6-2

NAU
wins against EWU and UM
loss at MSU
record 6-2

UM 6-2
MSU 6-2
NAU 6-2
EWU 5-3
PSU 4-4

MSU gets the autobid with wins over NAU and UM. NAU takes second with head to head over UM, but does the Jacks get in the playoffs over the Griz? Or does the committee take two at large from the Big Sky?

Judging from this, methinks the Cats have the inside track.

Actually, under this scenario NAU is out (they would have a 7-4 record, and only 6 FCS wins, not the required 7).

Even it they had 7 FCS/FBS wins, under this scenario Montana would finish 9-2, with 8 FCS wins, and would almost certainly get the nod over NAU even though the Griz lost to them.

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2007, 01:28 AM
Actually, under this scenario NAU is out (they would have a 7-4 record, and only 6 FCS wins, not the required 7).

Even it they had 7 FCS/FBS wins, under this scenario Montana would finish 9-2, with 8 FCS wins, and would almost certainly get the nod over NAU even though the Griz lost to them.

You're right. Too much thinking. I knew I missed something.

Bobcat in NC
October 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Who do the cats have this weekend?

Northern Colorado.

already123
October 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
so basically, someone WILL get screwed out of the playoffs this year....

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
so basically, someone WILL get screwed out of the playoffs this year....

xrolleyesx Pretty much happens every year xsmhx