PDA

View Full Version : YSU @ UNI Thread

GoGuins
October 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Does this game even need played? Seriously, we all know who's going to win:D

Game is being televised here in Ytown so most of us will be able to see UNI's continued dominance over the Penguins. YSU is banged up, especially on the O-line

If YSU wants to even sniff the playoffs, this is a must win. Not an easy task, their last win in the Dome was '99. Also the last year they made the NC.

I watched a bit of the UNI-WIU game the other night and UNI is solid in all phases

bcrawf
October 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
So is Heacock already practicing indoors with crowd noise??

Nothing like psyching out your own players before they ever step on the plane. PS- This is already a sellout, you 'guins have yet to hear the Dome anywhere near as loud as it will be on Saturday...

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
What we need is for UNI to win this game, and win out. Montana to win out. Both win throughout the playoffs, then two undefeated teams meet in the championship game in Chatty....

Then, and only then, will the NDSU fans have no ground to stand on about being a paper #1.

God help us all if any SoCon or CAA team wins the NC, because we'll never hear the end of it from NDSU fans if they run the table too. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

GoGuins
October 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Nothing like psyching out your own players before they ever step on the plane. PS- This is already a sellout, you 'guins have yet to hear the Dome anywhere near as loud as it will be on Saturday...

I think in the past they've pumped in crowd noise, but we can't simulate it indoors because our indoor practice facility hasn't been built yet

bcrawf
October 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I remember a video clip from the last time you came out here. He had them practicing in a small gym with crowd noise...

crunifan
October 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
It will be even louder in the Dome for Youngstown State than it was for SIU since the towels won't be in there.

With as well as UNI has been playing lately, I just don't see the Penguins beating them unless UNI completely loses focus or comes out super flat.

Mountain Panther
October 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
You have to go with UNI in this game....we beat them in the Ice Castle last year before they went deep into the playoffs. But their Farley jinx will end sometime.....

http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/102106mp_uni_youngstown_17.jpg

DOME
October 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
After this last weekend UNI should by all rights steamroll into the post season.
Unless Indiana St comes into the dome and lays one on us...that team scares me...

bcrawf
October 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
The next two games (YSU, @MSU) will determine whether UNI gets to spend December in the Dome!

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
should be quite a game... ysu must have it

pantherfan
October 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
UNI 38
YSU 17
xcoffeex

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
What we need is for UNI to win this game, and win out. Montana to win out. Both win throughout the playoffs, then two undefeated teams meet in the championship game in Chatty....

Then, and only then, will the NDSU fans have no ground to stand on about being a paper #1.

God help us all if any SoCon or CAA team wins the NC, because we'll never hear the end of it from NDSU fans if they run the table too. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowxNo need for all that, we just need Cal Poly - or better yet, Southern Utah, to beat NDSU. IF NDSU doesn't beat Southern Utah by at least 30 should they even be in the top 5?

Saluki_man
October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
After this last weekend UNI should by all rights steamroll into the post season.
Unless Indiana St comes into the dome and lays one on us...that team scares me...

You mean your scared that the trees will score 21 on you or that you won't score more than 40?

th0m
October 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
No need for all that, we just need Cal Poly - or better yet, Southern Utah, to beat NDSU. IF NDSU doesn't beat Southern Utah by at least 30 should they even be in the top 5?

Why don't you answer that question with regards to your own team and get back to mexlolx xlolx

Houndawg
October 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
should be quite a game... ysu must have it

YSU might hang for a half, but they'll lose by 10+ and the game may not be as close as the score. I'd like to see Montana play in the dome this year as a reward for their cupcake schedule.

GoGuins
October 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
UNI 38
YSU 17
xcoffeex

I'd say that's pretty accurate

PMB4Life
October 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I believe YSU is still a tough opponent, and they have shown sparks of brilliance this season. I'm not putting anything past anyone.

Killsback
October 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
UNI 45
YSU 10 (maybe)

DOME
October 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
You mean your scared that the trees will score 21 on you or that you won't score more than 40?

Word on the street is the Sycs are going to sub in the Colorado Rockies for their game against UNI. Thats almost as frightening as playing a team of Chuck Norris clones. I'm guessing Indiana St. Rockies 31 UNI 13xsmiley_wix

grizbeer
October 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Why don't you answer that question with regards to your own team and get back to mexlolx xlolxWhen Montana fans start asking to be National Champs without playing in the playoffs, or even playing a single playoff team, then yeah, we would need to beat Southern Utah by at least 30. As it is Montana only beat So Utah by 20, and is barely holding onto #5 in the AGS poll, and will likely drop out of the AGS top 5 after this weekend, win or lose. so to be a "good" top 5 team don't you have to beat Southern Utah by at least 30?

BTW, I like UNI over YSU 37-17.

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

God help us all if any SoCon or CAA team wins the NC, because we'll never hear the end of it from NDSU fans if they run the table too. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

There's a reason for NDSU being 2nd in the polls. What about Montana picking them up as their non-conference game, as opposed to Fort Lewis? :D

Reed Rothchild
October 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
This game stinks like the WIU game from last year...

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
There's a reason for NDSU being 2nd in the polls. What about Montana picking them up as their non-conference game, as opposed to Fort Lewis? :D

Or as opposed to Mankato State? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

No_Skill
October 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to read a thread on this board without Griz fans bashing the Bison? xrolleyesx

UNI should take this one. In fact, they are gonna be my horse in the playoffs. Undefeated season all the way?????

Good luck UNI.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Is it possible to read a thread on this board without Griz fans bashing the Bison? xrolleyesx

UNI should take this one. In fact, they are gonna be my horse in the playoffs. Undefeated season all the way?????

Good luck UNI.

Sucks, don't it? Ah, let us harken back to the good old days, say, oh, about 3-4 weeks ago, when EVERY stinking thread turned into a Montana SOS thread. Go cry in your wheaties....

HLecter
October 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM

We have no place to practice indoors (yet)

Bring your noise, won't matter anyway.

We'll catch you next year when we don't have freshmen starting in place of 5 injured seniors, 2 of which got AA mention. We've taken 3 season ending hits on the OL--can't win in the GFC with 3 freshmen playing OL.

No_Skill
October 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM

Not sure why you bring up Mankato State, we haven't played them since '03. We did play Concordia St. Paul last year for the season opener. A transition school with 4 conference mates makes finding games a difficult task.

Sucks, don't it? Ah, let us harken back to the good old days, say, oh, about 3-4 weeks ago, when EVERY stinking thread turned into a Montana SOS thread. Go cry in your wheaties....

What's Montana's excuse. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Not sure why you bring up Mankato State, we haven't played them since '03. We did play Concordia St. Paul last year for the season opener. A transition school with 4 conference mates makes finding games a difficult task.

What's Montana's excuse. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I know it can get confusing for a little fella like yourself, but try and stay with us....My "Mankato State" comment was directed at a UNI poster---see, THEY played Mankato State, but then criticize UM for playing Fort Lewis.....a bit of a double standard, don't you think?

Our excuse is you can't afford us. ;) We're like that $1,000 call girl that you see but can't touch, then have to go get the $5 hooker to finish you off.... xcoffeex

No_Skill
October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
I know it can get confusing for a little fella like yourself, but try and stay with us....My "Mankato State" comment was directed at a UNI poster---see, THEY played Mankato State, but then criticize UM for playing Fort Lewis.....a bit of a double standard, don't you think?

Our excuse is you can't afford us. ;) We're like that $1,000 call girl that you see but can't touch, then have to go get the $5 hooker to finish you off.... xcoffeex

Now it's you who is not understanding me. I was making a crack at your scheduling, not...oh nevermind.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Now it's you who is not understanding me. I was making a crack at your scheduling, not...oh nevermind.

I got ya....Now get your jammies on and go to bed, son. :D You've got cows to milk and pigs to slop in the morning.....

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Come on AZGriz, we played someone after Mankato State, that's the difference.

This board is turning into nothing but a bunch of petty arguements. Go Griz and Go Bison. Hopefully We'll see Montana in Chatty and we'll enjoy our time with NDSU starting next year.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Come on AZGriz, we played someone after Mankato State, that's the difference.

This board is turning into nothing but a bunch of petty arguements. Go Griz and Go Bison. Hopefully We'll see Montana in Chatty and we'll enjoy our time with NDSU starting next year.

Oh, you mean that powerhouse 1-7 Iowa State team? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ranks right up there with NDSU's beatdown of that powerhouse 1-7 Minnesota team.

Hey, I love UNI as much as the next guy....you guys just need to get a muzzle on Ronin. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Oh, you mean that powerhouse 1-7 Iowa State team? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ranks right up there with NDSU's beatdown of that powerhouse 1-7 Minnesota team.

Hey, I love UNI as much as the next guy....you guys just need to get a muzzle on Ronin. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

We went on the road 4 straight weeks. An FBS in-state rival, bad or not is not an easy game. South Dakota State is no pushover. Drake was overrated and Illinois State is tough. Southern Illinois makes our schedule far and away better than yours so far, so no need to argue. Just take of your business on the field and the SOS won't matter.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
We went on the road 4 straight weeks. An FBS in-state rival, bad or not is not an easy game. South Dakota State is no pushover. Drake was overrated and Illinois State is tough. Southern Illinois makes our schedule far and away better than yours so far, so no need to argue. Just take of your business on the field and the SOS won't matter.

Key words underlined. You've got 3 of your 4 easiest games to come. We've got 3 of our 4 hardest. That's been my point all along.

Good luck, run the table, and if we can too we'll see you in Chatty. I already bought tickets!

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Key words underlined. You've got 3 of your 4 easiest games to come. We've got 3 of our 4 hardest. That's been my point all along.

Good luck, run the table, and if we can too we'll see you in Chatty. I already bought tickets!

I hope to be there regardless if UNI is. Maybe we can meet up.

To continure the arguement, none of the teams you have left are Top 10.

Dome fan
October 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Lets see... A young YSU O line, UNI's rush defense. Hmmm....

UNI > 34

YSU < 17

I bet we'll see 2 int's and an maybe a fumble or two. Could be a long day for YSU.

ysubigred
October 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
UNI 42-3

YSU "O" is in shambles and the "D" is terrible so I've been told xmadx

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
UNI 42-3

YSU "O" is in shambles and the "D" is terrible so I've been told xmadx

42-3? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Can't imagine holding YSU to 3, and the same score two weeks in a row seems unlikely. :D

pantheralum16
October 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
This game stinks like the WIU game from last year...

I agree...:(

X-Factor
October 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM

Well everyone, isn't it amzing how fast someone like AZGriz can turn a YSU@UNI thread into an NDSU hatefest? xmadx xnonox

OH BTW, I'm going with UNI by two scores. Would love to watch this game at the UNI DOME!

DetroitFlyer
October 23rd, 2007, 11:09 AM

Drake was "overrated" and Illinois State is tough.... Do you even think before you post?

Drake - 27

Illinois State - 24

Or in your terms:

Overrated - 27

Tough - 24

crunifan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Drake was "overrated" and Illinois State is tough.... Do you even think before you post?

Drake - 27

Illinois State - 24

Or in your terms:

Overrated - 27

Tough - 24

If you honestly think Drake could recreate that lucky win over Illinois State if the two were to play again, you're insane.

DetroitFlyer
October 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Drake does not have to recreate their win over ISU. They won, on ISU's field no less! Last I checked, there is a reason we actually play the games.... OK, I'll help you.... To see who won!

Drake - 27

ISU - 24

Game, set, match!

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
If you honestly think Drake could recreate that lucky win over Illinois State if the two were to play again, you're insane.

And yet, the vast majority of App State fans believe ASU would win 9/10 times they played Michigan. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Johnny5
October 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
this game is a must win for the guins...already with three losses and slipping out of playoff contention. I just don't know if this is the year for YSU. Too many stalled drives and an inconsistent D....especially against short routes...UNI rolls in this one...

pantherfan
October 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Drake does not have to recreate their win over ISU. They won, on ISU's field no less! Last I checked, there is a reason we actually play the games.... OK, I'll help you.... To see who won!

Drake - 27

ISU - 24

Game, set, match!

Every "dog" has its day. For crying out loud, Drake had a great win against Ilinois State, but ISU is still the better team overall. The "best team" does NOT always win... Drake looked like a high school freshmen team against UNI a few weeks later.xrolleyesx

unigriff
October 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
i concur...the best team didnt win the 2005 title game either...one fumble and appy state becomes a powerhouse. :)

Petrie Dish
October 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
i concur...the best team didnt win the 2005 title game either...one fumble and appy state becomes a powerhouse. :)

Get over it.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I give credit to those two Appy DEs.
the UNI o-line did a pretty good job of containing them, but they got through the one time and caused some havoc.

That was no fumble, but a strip. One guy knocks the ball out and the other guy runs it in.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

Drake - 27

Illinois State - 24

Or in your terms:

Overrated - 27

Tough - 24

Drake was not the 25th best team as they have since proven. They were overrated.

Illinois State game was tough for us.

Facts, not opinions.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
On any given saturday, a team can unexpectedly play well and pull off the upset or give a higher ranked team more than they bargained for.

Chi Panther
October 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Drake was not the 25th bet team as they have since proven. They were overrated.

Illinois State game was tough for us.

Facts, not opinions.

Good Post

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Do you even think before you post?

I'd ask the same, but your rhetoric speaks for itself. xlolx

crunifan
October 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM

Drake - 27

ISU - 24

Game, set, match!

The bottom line is that one win does not make Drake good, and one loss Illinois State bad.

The only other games Drake has played anyone of talent (San Diego and UNI) they have been taken behind the woodshed and beaten without mercy.

Meanwhile, Illinois State has actually beaten top 25 Youngstown State in Youngstown, played a respectable game against a very good Missouri team, and played UNI to one of their closest games.

So he was right, Drake was overrated and Illinois State is tough.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

GoGuins
October 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Heacock said on the news last night that the team isn't making any special preparations for the Dome crowd noise. He said playing in front of 105k+ at Ohio State and 109k+ @ Penn St last year was the preparation

nmatsen
October 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ya, I am sure their crowd was really into the game. Oh well, I guess when you just can't beat a team you need to try something different. Maybe it will work for them but I personally am thinking at the end of the day it will be:

Farley 7
Heacock 0

If you know what I mean.

BDK@YSU
October 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
No special preparation is being made...

The Penguins are still practicing at Stambaugh playing the same artificial crowd noise they've been using all year.

joecooll6
October 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Drake - 27

Illinois State - 24

Or in your terms:

Overrated - 27

Tough - 24

And with that this thread has it all
-NDSU bashing
-Montana schedule bashing
-Angry PFL fans because their league is getting disrespect
-All we need is an angry San Diego fan and we'll be set

GO PANTHERS!

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
On any given saturday, a team can unexpectedly play well and pull off the upset or give a higher ranked team more than they bargained for.
Is that why they call this website...............................
xeyebrowx

Tailbone
October 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
..... Southern Illinois makes our schedule far and away better than yours so far, so no need to argue. Just take of your business on the field and the SOS won't matter.

What makes you think that? (that Southern Illinois makes your schedule far and away better than ours)

A similar comment might have been made in 2004, a year when Eastern washington was 7-4 and SIU was undefeated.

That was also the year EWU upset SIU in Carbondale in rd 1 of the play-offs.

Assumptions are easy, and reality has a way of exposing how ridiculous they can be.

01pantherfan
October 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Montana has a schedual full of Mankato States

Houndawg
October 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
What makes you think that? (that Southern Illinois makes your schedule far and away better than ours)

A similar comment might have been made in 2004, a year when Eastern washington was 7-4 and SIU was undefeated.

Assumptions are easy, and reality has a way of exposing how ridiculous they can be.

This team is noticably more athletic than the '04 team. Once we get our MLB back after this weeks bye we'll be ready to start the big push. Ideally we'll beat Montana, Delaware, and AppState before getting revenge on UNI in Chattanooga................ah, the stuff dreams are made of...

GoGuins
October 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM
YSU is 14 pt dogs according to betus.com

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2007, 10:47 PM

Because Southern Illinois has proven there worth on the field and is in the Top 10 as a result. Teams can win, any given day, and that what happened when EWU played SIU. That doesn't mean your SOS was better that year because your opponent had a win against a top team. xrolleyesx

Tailbone
October 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Southern Illinois makes our schedule far and away better than yours....

Because Southern Illinois has proven there worth on the field and is in the Top 10 as a result.

As was the case in 2004.

Teams can win, any given day, and that what happened when EWU played SIU.

So you are suggesting that EWU's win in Carbondale was a fluke? xrolleyesx
Whatever! They came up short 1 field goal the next year at your place - if you were there you know how good a team they were. If you weren't there, ask someone who was.

That doesn't mean your SOS was better that year because your opponent had a win against a top team.....

As it turns out, UNI may have a better schedule (that's a reasonable OPINION) but I don't think that UNI's schedule is FAR AND AWAY better on the basis of having played SIU.

Houndawg
October 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
YSU is 14 pt dogs according to betus.com

It won't be that close.

GoGuins
October 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
It won't be that close.

Unfortunately, it probably won'txsmhx

Barnstormer
October 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Quit saying it's gonna be a blow out... :-) It's making me nervous. This game is making me hella nervous.

Houndawg
October 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Quit saying it's gonna be a blow out... :-) It's making me nervous. This game is making me hella nervous.

At this point you can only stop yourselves. Even if you let YSU hang around too long you'll still be the AQ, I believe. Personally I hope you are undefeated for the rematch with SIU.

I-AA Fan
October 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
GoGuins:
If that is really you, where have you been? I thought you may have been deployed, since I have not seen you on the ysu board.

Ronin
October 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I give credit to those two Appy DEs.
the UNI o-line did a pretty good job of containing them, but they got through the one time and caused some havoc.

That was no fumble, but a strip. One guy knocks the ball out and the other guy runs it in.

ASU had some great DE no doubt, but I felt UNI lost the game in deciding not to go after the injured QB. ASU was and still is a good team. UNI beat themselves in the championship game... water under the bridge.

HLecter
October 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Any UNI people out there want to give me 24 1/2 for a case of beer?

I mean since a few of you think we are going to get thrashed............

Loser just sends the cash equivalent.

If anybody takes this, name your beer now, I ain't paying for Guinness after the fact!

I drink New Castle

proasu89
October 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
And yet, the vast majority of App State fans believe ASU would win 9/10 times they played Michigan. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xeyebrowx xsmhx xsmhx xeyebrowx xsmhx

Gotta call you out on that onexthumbsupx

JBB
October 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Im a little worried about Youngstown state. The Thunderbirds may have exposed them, but it is a conference game and conference games are often anybodys game.

NDSU is #1, and if we finish #1 we will gladly take the asterisk: *

* not playoff eligible until 2008

GO PENGUINS!!!!!

Ps. Love those "newkies"!

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM
If UNI can run the table and Montana loses, let's hope for a UNI - Montana game in Iowa. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM
So you are suggesting that EWU's win in Carbondale was a fluke? xrolleyesx
Whatever! They came up short 1 field goal the next year at your place - if you were there you know how good a team they were. If you weren't there, ask someone who was.

No, I said teams can win on any given day. Eastern Washington was a good team and apparently met their match on 4 given days. xrolleyesx

Mountain Panther
October 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Any UNI people out there want to give me 24 1/2 for a case of beer?

I mean since a few of you think we are going to get thrashed............

Loser just sends the cash equivalent.

If anybody takes this, name your beer now, I ain't paying for Guinness after the fact!

I drink New Castle

I'm not predicting a thrashing....I'm predicting a UNI win.