PDA

View Full Version : DELAWARE LOOKIN' TA GO FBS!.............BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2022, 09:11 AM
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sp ... 557778007/ (https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2022/10/13/ud-football-weighing-move-to-top-level-of-college-football/69557778007/)

OhioHen
October 13th, 2022, 09:15 AM
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sp ... 557778007/ (https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2022/10/13/ud-football-weighing-move-to-top-level-of-college-football/69557778007/)
This content is only available to subscribers.

wapiti
October 13th, 2022, 09:15 AM
This content is only available to subscribers.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2022, 09:19 AM
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2022/10/13/ud-football-weighing-move-to-top-level-of-college-football/69557778007/

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 09:20 AM
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2022/10/13/ud-football-weighing-move-to-top-level-of-college-football/69557778007/

The content is only available to subscribers.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2022, 09:22 AM
WELL.......AH CAN SEE IT REAL GOOD..............BRAWK!

AH'M TECH CHALLENGED....SOMEBODY GO TA DELAWAREONLINE....AN' PLUCK IT!.............BRAWK!

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Sam Herder's tweet:
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1580547233778278404 (https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1580547233778278404)

Henny
October 13th, 2022, 09:37 AM
The UD AD Chrissi Rawak is a person that gets things done. First the $65 Mill Whitney Athletic Center, now the $85 Mill new practice facility / Offices and stadium expansion that's expected to be completed in the next four years.

It's very unclear where UD will end up in G5 but I can only hope some of the other traditional powers that are still in the FCS come along.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 10:44 AM
The UD AD Chrissi Rawak is a person that gets things done. First the $65 Mill Whitney Athletic Center, now the $85 Mill new practice facility / Offices and stadium expansion that's expected to be completed in the next four years.

It's very unclear where UD will end up in G5 but I can only hope some of the other traditional powers that are still in the FCS come along.

There is a great article in The Athletic (paywall) that discusses the need to get into the FBS while you can. The doors will closing shortly.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2022, 11:10 AM
C-USA?

wapiti
October 13th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Which Big Sky teams might make an announcement soon?
UM, MSU, Weber, NAU, Idaho, Sac, UCD

The rest would be a bit of a surprise to me if they made the jump.

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2022, 11:16 AM
There is a great article in The Athletic (paywall) that discusses the need to get into the FBS while you can. The doors will closing shortly.

I can't find the article (and not a subscriber anyway). Can you give a little synopsis of their reasoning? I've been thinking MSU and UM should be in communication with the MWC if they aren't already. Former Big Sky members in MWC. Footprint not much different from Big Sky. Increased costs would be offset quite a bit by increase in BB tournament and media-rights revenue. Down side is while the BB is okay in the Big Sky, we're perennial 14-16 seeds and bounced in first round, and BB really drives the bus it seems.

OhioHen
October 13th, 2022, 12:47 PM
C-USA?
Better geographic fit with Sun Belt East, but Sun Belt already at 14.

Currently four independents in the East. If that group could get together and entice Temple and Navy away from the soon-to-be-diminished AAC, UD would be a great fit for the new conference (which would need to be established before inviting the Hens).

NDSU1980
October 13th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Congrats to Delaware if they can do it. It's great when you have an athletic dept with a vision and a set of balls. And I bet none of their fans are asshats either wanting to stay FCS.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 01:13 PM
I can't find the article (and not a subscriber anyway). Can you give a little synopsis of their reasoning? I've been thinking MSU and UM should be in communication with the MWC if they aren't already. Former Big Sky members in MWC. Footprint not much different from Big Sky. Increased costs would be offset quite a bit by increase in BB tournament and media-rights revenue. Down side is while the BB is okay in the Big Sky, we're perennial 14-16 seeds and bounced in first round, and BB really drives the bus it seems.

It is CUSA specific, discussing the status of the current conference, recent losses and additions, as well as the possible addition of KSU. The big takeaway for me was the changing of media priorities.
More than anything else, the greatest frustration from C-USA fans has been the media rights situation. When Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion announced their moves to the Sun Belt, they specifically mentioned exposure and the ability to watch games as a factor.
“The No. 1 thing we’ve heard from our fans in the current deal is the confusion of where and when we play, and it’s been difficult to find,” Stewart said.
In 2018, C-USA re-upped its deal with CBS Sports Network and formed partnerships with Stadium and Facebook to broadcast games. That came after deals with CBS, ESPN, beIN Sports and American Sports Network.
The patchwork deals have made it frustrating for fans to watch games and for teams to tell families and recruits how to watch them play. Although Stadium and Facebook were accessible to everyone online for free, they weren’t places associated with major sports.
“It sucked,” said a former Conference USA recruiting staffer. “Games on Facebook and Stadium? Bad look.”
School officials across C-USA believe that exposure should be a higher priority than revenue with the next deal, and that may happen. The league has had discussions with ESPN and CBS through its media rights consultant Octagon, sources said. Stadium may still play a role for some streaming and local broadcasts.
“(Exposure) is definitely one consideration at the top of the list of the feedback we heard in talking with conference leadership and the individual institutions,” said William Mao, Octagon’s senior vice president of global media rights. “They want to make sure the discoverability is a key consideration to bear in mind.”
Mao and Octagon did not share details of the ongoing negotiations.

JSUSoutherner
October 13th, 2022, 01:13 PM
God help me if this is a move to bring UMass, UConn, and Delaware into CUSA.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 01:15 PM
It is CUSA specific, discussing the status of the current conference, recent losses and additions, as well as the possible addition of KSU. The big takeaway for me was the changing of media priorities.
More than anything else, the greatest frustration from C-USA fans has been the media rights situation. When Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion announced their moves to the Sun Belt, they specifically mentioned exposure and the ability to watch games as a factor.
“The No. 1 thing we’ve heard from our fans in the current deal is the confusion of where and when we play, and it’s been difficult to find,” Stewart said.
In 2018, C-USA re-upped its deal with CBS Sports Network and formed partnerships with Stadium and Facebook to broadcast games. That came after deals with CBS, ESPN, beIN Sports and American Sports Network.
The patchwork deals have made it frustrating for fans to watch games and for teams to tell families and recruits how to watch them play. Although Stadium and Facebook were accessible to everyone online for free, they weren’t places associated with major sports.
“It sucked,” said a former Conference USA recruiting staffer. “Games on Facebook and Stadium? Bad look.”
School officials across C-USA believe that exposure should be a higher priority than revenue with the next deal, and that may happen. The league has had discussions with ESPN and CBS through its media rights consultant Octagon, sources said. Stadium may still play a role for some streaming and local broadcasts.
“(Exposure) is definitely one consideration at the top of the list of the feedback we heard in talking with conference leadership and the individual institutions,” said William Mao, Octagon’s senior vice president of global media rights. “They want to make sure the discoverability is a key consideration to bear in mind.”

Conference USA is not sitting around. It’s making moves. It has ideas. But in these situations, it needs someone willing to listen.
The league sent a letter to the AAC last year about potential geographic reorganization amid realignment, but it was swiftly dismissed. C-USA associate commissioner Tre Stallings, a former Ole Miss (https://theathletic.com/college-football/team/ole-miss-rebels-college-football/) and NFL (https://theathletic.com/nfl/) offensive lineman and NCAA enforcement official, wants to create a football version of basketball’s Bracket Busters in which the top Group of 5 teams play each other to create big matchups early in the season. But the football schedule is set so far out, limiting the possibility. Stallings said some leagues have been open to it and some have not.
All told, it’s a conference that scrambled to survive, and it has survived.
“Now that the dust has settled, I think the future is bright,” FIU athletic director Scott Carr said.
The dust has settled elsewhere, but not in C-USA yet. The new media rights deal should be done in the near future. Kennesaw State may join soon, and there could be others. It’ll take a few years until the conference gets back to what it considers full strength.
As one commissioner told The Athletic earlier this fall, it’s hard to kill a conference. C-USA has reshaped itself in its nearly three decades of existence. It’s lacked an identity for a while now. An island of misfit toys may not be the ideal identity, but it can be something to rally around in this new landscape.
“Some people wrote us off,” MacLeod said. “So I don’t mind having a little chip on our shoulders as we move forward. We have hungry programs that are ready to prove something.”

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Markets and state flagship schools. That is good. Gives us exposure in those markets. Creates regional rivalries. Makes it easier to create divisions.

JSUSoutherner
October 13th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Markets and state flagship schools. That is good. Gives us exposure in those markets. Creates regional rivalries. Makes it easier to create divisions.

I can 10000000% guarantee that adding UMass and UConn will do exactly f*** all for schools in Alabama and Texas.

Daytripper
October 13th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Conference USA is not sitting around. It’s making moves. It has ideas. But in these situations, it needs someone willing to listen.
The league sent a letter to the AAC last year about potential geographic reorganization amid realignment, but it was swiftly dismissed. C-USA associate commissioner Tre Stallings, a former Ole Miss (https://theathletic.com/college-football/team/ole-miss-rebels-college-football/) and NFL (https://theathletic.com/nfl/) offensive lineman and NCAA enforcement official, wants to create a football version of basketball’s Bracket Busters in which the top Group of 5 teams play each other to create big matchups early in the season. But the football schedule is set so far out, limiting the possibility. Stallings said some leagues have been open to it and some have not.
All told, it’s a conference that scrambled to survive, and it has survived.
“Now that the dust has settled, I think the future is bright,” FIU athletic director Scott Carr said.
The dust has settled elsewhere, but not in C-USA yet. The new media rights deal should be done in the near future. Kennesaw State may join soon, and there could be others. It’ll take a few years until the conference gets back to what it considers full strength.
As one commissioner told The Athletic earlier this fall, it’s hard to kill a conference. C-USA has reshaped itself in its nearly three decades of existence. It’s lacked an identity for a while now. An island of misfit toys may not be the ideal identity, but it can be something to rally around in this new landscape.
“Some people wrote us off,” MacLeod said. “So I don’t mind having a little chip on our shoulders as we move forward. We have hungry programs that are ready to prove something.”

Here is the link to the article. The Athletic is worth the subscription. They have a lot of really good stuff. https://theathletic.com/3682027/2022/10/12/conference-usa-realignment-expansion-tv-football/

OhioHen
October 13th, 2022, 01:37 PM
One of the three would be a positive addition.

Bill
October 13th, 2022, 01:47 PM
One of the three would be a positive addition.

or the look of a resurrected FBS Yankee conference, G6 anyone?xlolx

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Thank you for the information. C-USA probably is not a consideration for Big Sky teams (particularly the Montana schools, as I imagine a move up would be linked for both). I think the MWC is a reasonable home, especially if the MWC get poached by PAC-12 as they themselves get poached. Move UNM to the West Division and Missoula to Colorado Springs becomes the longest trip in the division. Boise St. and USU could be longish bus trips for the MT schools, so 3 of the 6 in the Mountain division could be bus trips for us. I know it expands the conference footprint a bit, but the farther schools would only have to come to MT every other year.

NY Crusader 2010
October 13th, 2022, 06:12 PM
I don't see C-USA as a great institutional fit for UD.

If anything, the MAC makes sense if it becomes interested in adding a 13th member.

Hate to say it, as a couple of our respected former FCS fanbases are headed there, but I just don't see a path to sustainability for C-USA. The one school I'd be going hardest at right now if I were them would be Missouri State. And then Jackson State, see if you can pull them out of a traditional HBCU conference by offering the opportunity to becomes the first black college to actually make it work in FBS. I still think the NY Crusader model would be the best shot in the dark to build a viable G5 conference:

Gulf South

1) Jacksonville State
2) Sammy
3) Liberty
4) Kenessaw State
5) WKU
6) MTSU
7) Jackson State

Mountain West

1) NDSU
2) SDSU
3) Montana
4) Montana State
5) Idaho
6) New Mexico State
7) UTEP

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone that's still in that league. FIU?

dbackjon
October 13th, 2022, 06:55 PM
I don't see C-USA as a great institutional fit for UD.

If anything, the MAC makes sense if it becomes interested in adding a 13th member.

Hate to say it, as a couple of our respected former FCS fanbases are headed there, but I just don't see a path to sustainability for C-USA. The one school I'd be going hardest at right now if I were them would be Missouri State. And then Jackson State, see if you can pull them out of a traditional HBCU conference by offering the opportunity to becomes the first black college to actually make it work in FBS. I still think the NY Crusader model would be the best shot in the dark to build a viable G5 conference:

Gulf South

1) Jacksonville State
2) Sammy
3) Liberty
4) Kenessaw State
5) WKU
6) MTSU
7) Jackson State

Mountain West

1) NDSU
2) SDSU
3) Montana
4) Montana State
5) Idaho
6) New Mexico State
7) UTEP

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone that's still in that league. FIU?

FIU is still in C-USA, as is Louisiana Tech

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2022, 08:36 PM
Bittersweet

love my FCS but it’s time to go

HootyHoo
October 13th, 2022, 09:38 PM
What is the likelihood of Villanova joining Delaware in FBS as a travel partner? Those two schools would be fantastic additions to any G5 conference.

ScrappytheOwl
October 13th, 2022, 09:59 PM
Delaware to CUSA would be a nice fit. They fit the profile of the type of schools CUSA should be adding. The one down side is geography. I am a little biased though as I have a lot of family that are UD alums but as a ksu fan, id be all for that move.

JacksFan40
October 13th, 2022, 10:02 PM
UConn with Jim Mora seems to be trending upwards. They’ve proven they can put a good team out there before, so I wouldn’t be upset with them or Delaware.

UMass on the other hand….

smilo
October 13th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Villanova will not join any existing G5 conference and rightfully so. Playing Akron and Bowling Green may be a worse option than playing Hampton and Elon.

If Temple and UMass could get over their inferiority complexes, they could have every opportunity to form a new regional conference with football associate members Connecticut and Villanova and four full-time like-mind institutions including Delaware and Buffalo. Though I do appreciate how hard it is to have a unified vision on this (when half the schools have no vision) and for the financials to work for everybody.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good options left to create a northeast conference after waiting so long. Anyhow, I don't know who the last two all-sport football schools would be - East Carolina would be interested but not a perfect match since their basketball was already a contentious add in the AAC; they've already missed out on Old Dominion and James Madison, so they would have to settle on a mediocre candidate and fix basketball with a few of the public or non-denominational A-10 schools headlined by URI (non-football).

Sick of seeing Army and Navy thrown into similar suggestions. You need full-time basketball members to entice UMass and Temple to break off from their existing commitments. Both are insistent on being national programs with travel to Texas and Florida. Regional football is not for them.

I am going to lose interest quickly in the new look Colonial. But the alternatives may actually be worse. FBS Independent isn't the worst solution.

HootyHoo
October 13th, 2022, 10:31 PM
Villanova will not join any existing G5 conference and rightfully so. Playing Akron and Bowling Green may be a worse option than playing Hampton and Elon.

If Temple and UMass could get over their inferiority complexes, they could have every opportunity to form a new regional conference with football associate members Connecticut and Villanova and four full-time like-mind institutions including Delaware and Buffalo. Though I do appreciate how hard it is to have a unified vision on this (when half the schools have no vision) and for the financials to work for everybody.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good options left to create a northeast conference after waiting so long. Anyhow, I don't know who the last two all-sport football schools would be - East Carolina would be interested but not a perfect match since their basketball was already a contentious add in the AAC; they've already missed out on Old Dominion and James Madison, so they would have to settle on a mediocre candidate and fix basketball with a few of the public or non-denominational A-10 schools headlined by URI (non-football).

Sick of seeing Army and Navy thrown into similar suggestions. You need full-time basketball members to entice UMass and Temple to break off from their existing commitments. Both are insistent on being national programs with travel to Texas and Florida. Regional football is not for them.

I am going to lose interest quickly in the new look Colonial. But the alternatives may actually be worse. FBS Independent isn't the worst solution.

Why not consider C-USA if you are a NE basketball school? Sure the Geographic footprint is all over the place, But the league is pretty good in Basketball. Western Kentucky and New Mexico St have good programs. As long as Villanova has a travel partner, i don't see the problem of them joining a conference outside the NE.

Creating a new conference in FBS is a non-starter unless one of the 10 existing leagues goes under. C-USA is not going to be the best football conference right away to be sure, but it's basketball and Baseball teams could be very competitive given the right additions.

smilo
October 13th, 2022, 11:28 PM
Why not consider C-USA if you are a NE basketball school? Sure the Geographic footprint is all over the place, But the league is pretty good in Basketball. Western Kentucky and New Mexico St have good programs. As long as Villanova has a travel partner, i don't see the problem of them joining a conference outside the NE.

Creating a new conference in FBS is a non-starter unless one of the 10 existing leagues goes under. C-USA is not going to be the best football conference right away to be sure, but it's basketball and Baseball teams could be very competitive given the right additions.

Just to be clear...you are suggesting that Villanova leave the Big East ($5 million annually in tv money, $2.5 million in NCAA Tournament money, 40 year rivalries with Georgetown, Connecticut, Providence and Seton Hall) because Delaware is a conveniently located travel partner for trips to Western Kentucky and New Mexico State (4 and 1 NCAA tournament wins, respectively, in my lifetime).

Regional rivalries and history are the SOLE thing that matters in this industry in attracting fan support. Otherwise there will be apathy even when results are good.

Do you follow college athletics or just football in the immediate vicinity since the program started up?

A new FBS conference is a non-starter only because the schools mentioned lack the initiative to make something great for themselves. The rules exist for one to form (or at least for tricks to be used in the case of the WAC) - it may be best to start as independents and have a long-term vision for bowl ties - but it is certainly feasible without other conferences having a say.

Gangtackle11
October 14th, 2022, 07:09 AM
3082267 (tel:3082267)[/URL]]What is the likelihood of Villanova joining Delaware in FBS as a travel partner? Those two schools would be fantastic additions to any G5 conference.

Zero.

Not leaving the Big East for some inane G5 football conference. Delaware is football 1st. Nova is Hoops, hoops, hoops….then maybe football. xpeacex

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 07:14 AM
Zero.

Not leaving the Big East for some inane G5 football conference. Delaware is football 1st. Nova is Hoops, hoops, hoops….then maybe football. xpeacex
You really think Villanova should choose the Big East over the grand privilege of playing at Kennesaw State in front of hundreds of fans?

I question your priorities. xdrunkyx

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Nobody today is leaving the Big East or the Atlantic 10 in basketball for the CUSA. Missouri State won't even leave MVC basketball for the CUSA, and I'm surprised they would even consider the SBC honestly.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 07:26 AM

.........WELL BOYS.....LET'S NEVER SAY NEVER..........'CAUSE PLENTY UH PECKERHEADS.....SAID NEVER........(INCLUDIN' ME)....AWK!

ps........NOT REFERRIN' TA 'NOVA.....JES' IN GENERAL.........TA ALL DUH HYPOTHESIS........AWK!

OhioHen
October 14th, 2022, 07:47 AM
Zero.

Nova is hoops, hoops, hoops, women's track & field, men's track & field...THEN maybe football.

ElCid
October 14th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Nova is hoops, hoops, hoops, women's track & field, men's track & field...THEN maybe football.

No joke, my dad, a bigger college BB fan, didn't even realize Villanova had a football team until he moved in with me and I talk to him about FCS. He didn't understand it. I've been educating him. He has never even heard of half of the G5 schools either. But he knows a lot of the old FCS teams, but not all.

Tribal
October 14th, 2022, 08:46 AM
Sunbelt & Conference USA are essentially FCS programs that want larger rosters and potential bowl games at the expense of distant opponents and higher travel costs. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.

I do think it’s funny that many fans, over the past decade, who hammered and ridiculed GA State and ODU, are so stoked about their team potentially moving to the “SlumBelt” (as they called it). JMU fans, in particular, are guilty of that.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 09:02 AM
.....AH FO' ONE...AM NOT ESPECIALLY ENAMORED ON YOU-DEE'S....DREAM.......SHORT UH SOUFFERN CAL COMIN' TA DUH TUB........OR.....UH RANDOM DRAWIN'...........FO' UH CHRYSLER CHALLENGER.......WHO'S COMIN' ...WHEN NORFF DAKOTA STATE....DIDN'T EXCITE......ANYBODY.....UH HOMER WHIFF NAVY....WOOD FILL 'ER UP.....WHIFF DUH PAGENTRY.....AN' WORRYIES UH DUH WORLD.......BUT AH GUESS.....THEY KNOW WHAT DEY'RE DOIN'.........NOT SPENDIN' UMPTEEN MILLION......WHIFF-OUT UH PLAN.......UD....DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES......'CEPT WHEN PRESIDENT/AD....TRUMP COACH...........BRAWK!

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 09:14 AM
I still don't get the obsession with FBS. If you're someone like NDSU that has without question reached the peak of FCS then sure, but most of the schools moving up haven't won anything. It's all a money grab in my view. I'm someone that still cherishes rivalries and playing local D1 schools. Joining a conference like the Sun Belt or CUSA, to try to win 6 games to make a meaningless bowl game, where most of the teams would jump first chance they get just isn't appealing to me at all. Sure my school might get more money, but it's not going in my pocket so why should I care?

HootyHoo
October 14th, 2022, 09:29 AM
Hooty did not realize the Big East made $5M per year. That's some serious cheddar.

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 09:41 AM
I still don't get the obsession with FBS. If you're someone like NDSU that has without question reached the peak of FCS then sure, but most of the schools moving up haven't won anything. It's all a money grab in my view. I'm someone that still cherishes rivalries and playing local D1 schools. Joining a conference like the Sun Belt or CUSA, to try to win 6 games to make a meaningless bowl game, where most of the teams would jump first chance they get just isn't appealing to me at all. Sure my school might get more money, but it's not going in my pocket so why should I care?
On one hand it absolutely is a money grab.

But you can't really sit there in Terra Houte with one with only three conference schools within 6 hours of you blasting JSU for moving up into a division with more regionality than their current conference. You mention preserving rivalries, but for us, all of our historical and regional rivals already made the jump. Troy, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern, etc.

I (and our fanbase as a whole) would much rather play those guys than Samford or UT-Martin.

We may not have an FCS Boat, but even if we were to win one, so what? Nobody here cares about beating Delaware or Weber State in the playoffs. Getting a home and home series with App State or Troy would be bigger for us than any playoff game happening outside of Frisco, Texas. And our little no-nothing Birmingham Bowl game against a 6-win Auburn or Mississippi State will get far more eyes and make us way more money than the FCS title game ever will.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2022, 09:43 AM

But you can't really sit there in Terra Houte with one with only three conference schools within 6 hours of you blasting JSU for moving up into a division with more regionality than their current conference. You mention preserving rivalries, but for us is all of our historical and regional rivals already made the jump. Troy, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern, etc.

I (and our fanbase as a whole) would much rather play those guys than Samford or UT-Martin.

We may not have an FCS Boat, but even if we were to win one, so what? Nobody here cares about beating Delaware or Weber State in the playoffs. Getting a home and home series with App State or Troy would be bigger for us than any playoff game happening outside of Frisco, Texas. And our little no-nothing Birmingham Bowl game against a 6-win Auburn or Mississippi State will get far more eyes and make us way more money than the FCS title game ever will.

How do you know nobody cares about beating Delaware in the playoffs.... it never happened!

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 09:46 AM
How do you know nobody cares about beating Delaware in the playoffs.... it never happened!

We also never won a boat. It was hypothetical. But there was basically zero hype in our program when we played you guys. Beating y'all wouldn't have changed it much.

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 09:47 AM
Here's the current most desirable leagues post current realignment (in order):

P5: SEC, B1G, ACC, PAC, XII
G5: MWC, AAC, SBC, MAC, CUSA
Non-FBS: BE, A10, WCC, MVC, SOCON

The breakdown:
Schools in the bottom three of each category want to be top 2. Schools in the top 2 of G5 want to be in the bottom 3 of the P5. Schools not in any league on this list want to make it to bottom 3 of G5 or Non-FBS.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2022, 09:58 AM
We also never won a boat. It was hypothetical. But there was basically zero hype in our program when we played you guys. Beating y'all wouldn't have changed it much.

yea yea yea

Serious question

is your fan base fired up about playing the FBS schedule?

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 10:03 AM
I suppose my conclusion beyond just being a money grab is that getting into a low level FBS league may be the only way a lot of these schools can elevate themselves to the top half of Division 1. Any of the leagues not on the list above are quickly becoming after thoughts on the national level. The CAA isn't on death row or anything, but it's not what it was 10 or 15 years ago by any means.

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 10:12 AM
yea yea yea

Serious question

is your fan base fired up about playing the FBS schedule?
We haven't seen the full OOC schedule yet, but there seemed to be a lot of chatter when the Georgia Southern series was announced. We've been told a series with Southern Miss is also in the works. Obviously the big fish for us is Troy, but it may be a few years before we can get that one going again. Also some rumblings that we've talked to Georgia Tech about a Home & Home.

So we haven't gotten much concrete yet, but most seem to at least like the fact it will make our OOC slate much much better from a fan appeal perspective. As long as we don't get screwed into a western division, I think the conference with Liberty, Kennesaw, WKU, and MTSU will be a step up for us from what we've had.

smilo
October 14th, 2022, 10:12 AM
This would bring the Colonial back down to a more manageable 14 schools for football (8 full, 6 football only) and 13 schools with full membership for non-football sports (6 "northern" and 7 "southern").

The problem is I'm not sure what northern school would want to join. Rider seems most logical as one of two non-Catholic schools in the MAAC with some mild recent success though they would have the smallest arena. The real quality MAAC schools probably ought not leave strong local rivalries behind for a tiny bump in quality from playing Charleston and Northeastern.

The only other one that may make sense is Boston University, which would also be the smallest arena but has almost de-emphasized basketball over the last decade.

Maybe the conference does wait it out for Howard to change its mind and hopes another associate football members calls it quits - or maybe even all of them. I'd much rather play only the associate members and just play Towson, Stony Brook or Monmouth out-of-conference on occasion. Though Richmond may not like that solution nearly as much, and we would need buy-in from them unless Fordham wants in.

ElCid
October 14th, 2022, 10:24 AM

Yup. It's all about trying to buy one's way to relevance. At least perceived relevance. In athletics to boot. Sure some benefit may happen from more exposure, but its not like those who moved up are any better institutions as a result. There are oodles of schools from Div III to P5 that are where they ought to be and have great rivalries and game day experiences that are more enjoyable that many who have moved up just to try and emulate those with success. But, and I've mentioned it before, when it's forced and artificial in nature, success is not guaranteed and support doesn't automatically follow. It's like some schools are trying to cram decades of growing a program and gaining support, and growing traditions into just a few years. Some might catch lightning in a bottle, but usually not. Move ups are obviously different from new programs, but some issues apply to both.

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 10:30 AM

But you can't really sit there in Terra Houte with one with only three conference schools within 6 hours of you blasting JSU for moving up into a division with more regionality than their current conference. You mention preserving rivalries, but for us, all of our historical and regional rivals already made the jump. Troy, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern, etc.

We've been playing SIU, ILSU, UNI, YSU, WIU, and MOSU for decades now. In basketball we are right in the dead center of the league now with long time rivals Evansville, Bradley, Valpo, and Drake; plus the 4 other MVC publics I mentioned. Plus this season Murray State, Belmont, and UIC are joining; which will all be close games for us. I prefer that over any FBS league any day.

Daytripper
October 14th, 2022, 10:39 AM
I suppose my conclusion beyond just being a money grab is that getting into a low level FBS league may be the only way a lot of these schools can elevate themselves to the top half of Division 1. Any of the leagues not on the list above are quickly becoming after thoughts on the national level. The CAA isn't on death row or anything, but it's not what it was 10 or 15 years ago by any means.

The Sunbelt today is not what it was 10-15 years ago. It was the bottom feeder of the FBS conferences. There is no reason that CUSA cannot elevate itself over time. I'm not saying it will be challenging the SEC, but it can become relevant it they do the right things and work smart.

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Sorry to say it, but it would have been better for Division 1 if the CUSA had gave up FBS FB and became an FCS league like the WAC. The FBS / FCS split is becoming a complete joke. If anyone can become FBS no matter how many people show up to their games or how big their stadium is, then why not just let entire FCS leagues move up?

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 10:46 AM
The CAA isn't what it used to be, and there's less and less allure of playing "traditional" rivals as those rivals don't even exist anymore either from moving up or even from downsizing. UD's home slate this year included three former MEAC teams - the home slate is Del St, Hampton, Towson, Morgan St, Monmouth, and Richmond. That's a terrible home slate to ask people to pay for. With FBS playoffs expanding to 12 teams in the near future, there's a window for G5 schools that never existed before and certainly changes the dynamic. UD will not have an easy and clear path to a conference in FBS (Sun Belt is too southern for UD, C-USA is a mess, AAC might not have room and again you question the geography. The MAC might be the best home for now) but I'd rather move up now and work it out when we get there. Worrying about having one big tent home for all sports is also old-thinking - you can find affiliate homes for any of the non-football/basketball sports) so worry about getting football at the level it should be at and sort out the other sports then. Like I said, expanded playoffs in FBS that could include the G5 is a gamechanger - that makes G5 easily more elevated than FCS (if it wasn't already) and makes FCS easily the third tier of college football. Its time to move up for UD and I'm glad they're putting in the work to figure out how to do it.

wapiti
October 14th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Here's the current most desirable leagues post current realignment (in order):

P5: SEC, B1G, ACC, PAC, XII
G5: MWC, AAC, SBC, MAC, CUSA
Non-FBS: BE, A10, WCC, MVC, SOCON

The breakdown:
Schools in the bottom three of each category want to be top 2. Schools in the top 2 of G5 want to be in the bottom 3 of the P5. Schools not in any league on this list want to make it to bottom 3 of G5 or Non-FBS.

If the Pac 12 loses Oregon that may lower them to G5

JSUSoutherner
October 14th, 2022, 10:55 AM
We've been playing SIU, ILSU, UNI, YSU, WIU, and MOSU for decades now. In basketball we are right in the dead center of the league now with long time rivals Evansville, Bradley, Valpo, and Drake; plus the 4 other MVC publics I mentioned. Plus this season Murray State, Belmont, and UIC are joining; which will all be close games for us. I prefer that over any FBS league any day.

That's great. For you.

Not everyone is lil ole Indiana State.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2022, 10:57 AM
The CAA isn't what it used to be, and there's less and less allure of playing "traditional" rivals as those rivals don't even exist anymore either from moving up or even from downsizing.

What it used to be? The CAA has lost just three schools to upgrade (UConn, UMass and JMU).

Hofstra, Northeastern, and BU dropped football, but none were exactly heated rivals with the Hens. Everyone else is still there: Maine, UNH, URI, Villanova, Richmond, W&M.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 11:05 AM
What it used to be? The CAA has lost just three schools to upgrade (UConn, UMass and JMU).

Hofstra, Northeastern, and BU dropped football, but none were exactly heated rivals with the Hens. Everyone else from the older days is still there: Maine, UNH, URI, Villanova, Richmond, W&M.

Well, you just listed 6 schools from a conference that was always between 12 and 14. And you didn't mention the basketball side where ODU, George Mason, and VCU all left as well, diminishing that. Look at the CAA in the 2000's versus where it is now. The CAA was clearly the top FCS conference during that decade, and now you wonder if the CAA is even better than the also diminished SoCon, and those conferences are far below the MVFC and Big Sky. The CAA now is almost as weak nationally as it was back in the late 80's when it was the Yankee conference and wasn't really a factor nationally. This year, there are only 5 teams on the schedule (nova, Richmond, W&M, Towson, and Rhode Island) who UD has long term connections with. The CAA has just added Hampton, NC A&T, Monmouth, and Campbell. That's not making it more attractive.

mvfcfan
October 14th, 2022, 11:07 AM
If the Pac 12 loses Oregon that may lower them to G5

If the Big Ten takes Oregon and Washington, then I think Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona State will end up in the Big XII. Cal and Stanford might go independent at that point. I think Stanford and Cal are too stuck up to be in the Big XII, and I think they're their too stuck up to be in a league with a bunch of MWC call ups. I don't think either school will make the cut for the Big Ten, regardless of their presence in the Bay area.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 11:12 AM
If the Big Ten takes Oregon and Washington, then I think Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona State will end up in the Big XII. Cal and Stanford might go independent at that point. I think Stanford and Cal are too stuck up to be in the Big XII, and I think they're their too stuck up to be in a league with a bunch of MWC call ups. I don't think either school will make the cut for the Big Ten, regardless of their presence in the Bay area. Kinda depends what happens with UCLA and if they're strong-armed into backing out of the Big 10 move. If UCLA doesn't go then Stanford was rumored to be the next Pac12 target for the Big 10.

taper
October 14th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Did I miss an official announcement by Delaware? This seems like a lot of fan speculation based on a very vague statement by an anonymous source. If building an IPF is an FBS ticket then UND has been waiting since 2015.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Did I miss an official announcement by Delaware? This seems like a lot of fan speculation based on a very vague statement by an anonymous source. If building an IPF is an FBS ticket then UND has been waiting since 2015.

Nothing official, but speculation based on confirmed behind the scenes moves. UD's likely to move on an $80M upgrade to the football facilities and stadium, which is substantially more than they just spent to upgrade the stadium a few years ago. They're not spending that money to just stay where they are.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Well, you just listed 6 schools from a conference that was always between 12 and 14. And you didn't mention the basketball side where ODU, George Mason, and VCU all left as well, diminishing that. Look at the CAA in the 2000's versus where it is now. The CAA was clearly the top FCS conference during that decade, and now you wonder if the CAA is even better than the also diminished SoCon, and those conferences are far below the MVFC and Big Sky. The CAA now is almost as weak nationally as it was back in the late 80's when it was the Yankee conference and wasn't really a factor nationally. This year, there are only 5 teams on the schedule (nova, Richmond, W&M, Towson, and Rhode Island) who UD has long term connections with. The CAA has just added Hampton, NC A&T, Monmouth, and Campbell. That's not making it more attractive.

Except that unless it's the MAC, UDel is not likely to be able to negotiate a football-only berth. Trading in the CAA for Conference USA realigns the Hens into a group of wayward schools from UTEP to Liberty, with Kennesaw State looking to come on board. Each school is looking to move at the first offer. Down at the Sun Belt, they're already at 14 and unless they're picking up Tarleton State or Eastern Kentucky, 16 works better with Delaware than 15. And, of course, the rivalry with Villanova likely gets mothballed or severely curtailed with such a move.

I understand that state schools feel the need to move up. But short of cobbling together a eastern football conference with Army, Navy, UMass, UConn, Temple, and Buffalo, the current options aren't very strong.

A story on Conference USA expansion is below. For now, it skated past the paywall.

https://theathletic.com/3682027/2022/10/12/conference-usa-realignment-expansion-tv-football/

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Except that unless it's the MAC, UDel is not likely to be able to negotiate a football-only berth. Trading in the CAA for Conference USA realigns the Hens into a group of wayward schools from UTEP to Liberty, with Kennesaw State looking to come on board. Each school is looking to move at the first offer. Down at the Sun Belt, they're already at 14 and unless they're picking up Tarleton State or Eastern Kentucky, 16 works better with Delaware than 15. And, of course, the rivalry with Villanova likely gets mothballed or severely curtailed with such a move.

I understand that state schools feel the need to move up. But short of cobbling together a eastern football conference with Army, Navy, UMass, UConn, Temple, and Buffalo, the current options aren't very strong.

A story on Conference USA expansion is below. For now, it skated past the paywall.

https://theathletic.com/3682027/2022/10/12/conference-usa-realignment-expansion-tv-football/

....SO IT WAS PAYWALL.....DID IN MAH LINK......xoopsx...AWK!

GannonFan
October 14th, 2022, 12:08 PM

Well, the rivalry with nova ain't what it used to be. Partly UD's fault as we've been non-competitive in it for years, but regardless, it's not like it's packing in the crowds at either location anymore. Just another game. And UD moving up to FBS doesn't mean we can't play nova anymore - nova already plays Temple and Army and plenty of other FBS teams, no reason why they wouldn't play UD. And it makes it very unique - the rivalry with nova started when UD was DII and nova was still playing D1 back in the 60's and 70's (the big rivalry was always with Temple, but the nova game was pretty big too). We've played at the same level now for 30 some years, and if UD makes this move, UD will be the higher level school playing the one a level down. Pretty unique if that happens.

MSUBobcat
October 14th, 2022, 12:11 PM
....SO IT WAS PAYWALL.....DID IN MAH LINK......xoopsx...AWK!

Same article that Daytripper linked in post 20 and quoted snippets of in posts 15 and 17.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Same article that Daytripper linked in post 20 and quoted snippets of in posts 15 and 17.

....AH WAS REFERRENCIN' POST #1.....AWK!

Sitting Bull
October 14th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Delaware has been very conservative over the years and i doubt a candidate for a football only move. CUSA would also be an absurd choice. Not to say the $80M is a signal for FBS - it could be but it sounded like a practice facility. W&M is spending near $50M to renovate Kaplan. Maybe the CAA, or some members, are positioning for a group move-up. The Mid Atlantic and Northeast are a G5 void. There’s room if it went there.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2022, 01:30 PM
WELL.......AH CAN SEE IT REAL GOOD..............BRAWK!

AH'M TECH CHALLENGED....SOMEBODY GO TA DELAWAREONLINE....AN' PLUCK IT!.............BRAWK!

Can anybody read this? All I get is:
The content is only available to subscribers.

When did MR CHICKEN move to subscriber based content!?:D

Dukie95
October 15th, 2022, 10:02 AM
Sunbelt & Conference USA are essentially FCS programs that want larger rosters and potential bowl games at the expense of distant opponents and higher travel costs. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.

I do think it’s funny that many fans, over the past decade, who hammered and ridiculed GA State and ODU, are so stoked about their team potentially moving to the “SlumBelt” (as they called it). JMU fans, in particular, are guilty of that.

True, the Sun Belt was not appealing when GASTO and ASU moved there. Now it's the best G5 conference and the new divisions they created eliminated the travel concerns. It's now a perfect fit - there's no hypocrisy here.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Can’t beat that money-grubbin’ News-Urinal, Mr. Chicken!

JacksFan40
October 16th, 2022, 02:11 PM
True, the Sun Belt was not appealing when GASTO and ASU moved there. Now it's the best G5 conference and the new divisions they created eliminated the travel concerns. It's now a perfect fit - there's no hypocrisy here.
I wouldn’t say it’s better than the current AAC. But once Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF go the Big 12 it could pass the AAC. The MWC is a train wreck right now so they aren’t much of a threat.

unknown-swac
October 17th, 2022, 07:38 PM
It's pretty obvious at this point that there will be minimum 1 G5 in the FBS playoffs every year once expansion happens. So, you get to play in the "real playoffs" in FCS, or, you get a shot to play in the FBS playoffs. Guarantee there will be more teams attempting to make the jump now.

NY Crusader 2010
October 17th, 2022, 08:16 PM

You know the Sun Belt 'made it" when schools like Marshall and Southern Miss jumped at the chance to join. The idea of Southern Miss entertaining the idea of going to the Sun Belt 15 years ago would've been laughable. MTSU and Western Kentucky both left the Belt for what they thought was a "promotion" to C-USA and now are both holding the bag trying to get excited about being in a league with Sam Houston and Kennesaw State. Yikes.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty obvious at this point that there will be minimum 1 G5 in the FBS playoffs every year once expansion happens. So, you get to play in the "real playoffs" in FCS, or, you get a shot to play in the FBS playoffs. Guarantee there will be more teams attempting to make the jump now.

Until the real powers break away. Which is coming a lot faster than you might think.

Sitting Bull
November 10th, 2022, 05:02 PM
CUSA just announced a media deal with ESPN for 2023 that requires all conference games in OCTOBER next year be mid week games.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2022, 06:04 PM
CUSA just announced a media deal with ESPN for 2023 that requires all conference games in OCTOBER next year be mid week games.

We are actually okay with this. National exposure on the mothership. Maybe the students will show up since they won't be heading back to Houston midweek and TAMU won't be on TV to distract.

JacksFan40
November 10th, 2022, 08:19 PM
The new and current C-USA teams don’t get very good attendance outside of Liberty and maybe WKU, might be more beneficial to have those half-empty games be broadcast on national television during the week as opposed to being covered up by all the other games on Saturday. The MAC seems to like it.

OrangeAndBlack
November 11th, 2022, 03:37 PM
You know the Sun Belt 'made it" when schools like Marshall and Southern Miss jumped at the chance to join. The idea of Southern Miss entertaining the idea of going to the Sun Belt 15 years ago would've been laughable. MTSU and Western Kentucky both left the Belt for what they thought was a "promotion" to C-USA and now are both holding the bag trying to get excited about being in a league with Sam Houston and Kennesaw State. Yikes.

- - - Updated - - -

Until the real powers break away. Which is coming a lot faster than you might think.

that’s really the answer. It’s a dangling carrot that most teams can never catch. The big boys will keep putting up walls and holding out the G5 and below. Sure, 1 team is now making the playoffs in FBS. That’s awesome, but it’s only 1 team out of 5 conferences. It’s hard enough to win one conference, let alone be champion of 5 conferences.

it’s also a delicate game the G5 has to play. You want a piece of the pie. But if you get greedy, the P5 will take the whole pie back and leave.

unknown-swac
November 11th, 2022, 04:53 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, wont happen anytime soon. And even if it did, it's not as if FCS conferences wouldn't be more than thrilled to take any team back looking to come back just like one took Idaho. And that's not likely to happen either. Until FCS figures out a way to actually make the playoffs profitable, there will be more.

NDSU1980
November 11th, 2022, 05:56 PM
CUSA just announced a media deal with ESPN for 2023 that requires all conference games in OCTOBER next year be mid week games.I'd be OK with that. I've got far more time on a Wednesday night to watch a game on TV than I have one Saturday afternoon during October.