PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa punter Cael Loecher fighting for his life

clenz
October 11th, 2022, 04:52 PM
UNI punter Cael Loecher remains 'critically stable' at U of I Hospital MICU (wcfcourier.com) (https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/uni-punter-cael-loecher-remains-critically-stable-at-u-of-i-hospital-micu/article_dbc08320-3651-5d71-a511-fbb55be91f32.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share)

Ten days ago, the Cedar Falls native was flown from UnityPoint Health-Allen Hospital to the University of Iowa Hospitals where he was diagnosed with a form of vasculitis -- granulomatosis with polyangitis (formerly known as Wegener’s granulomatosis) -- which can be fatal.

Tuesday The Courier received an update on Loecher's condition from his mother, Lisa.

“The doctors consider him critically stable right now,” Lisa Loecher said.

The ordeal began with what Cael Loecher originally thought was a cold.

His mother said Loecher had told her he had not been feeling 100% since UNI’s trip to Colorado Springs, where after the Air Force game he complained of a consistent cough that he attributed possibly to the thin air in Colorado.

After receiving medicine on his first trip to the health center, Cael returned the next day not feeling better. It was recommended he go to the ER at Allen.

At that time, Loecher's biggest concern was whether UNI head coach Mark Farley would allow him to at least be the place holder for that Saturday’s game with Indiana State. Cael never made it to the game with the Sycamores on Oct. 1.

“Then a pulmonologist ran a scope on his lungs and they were filled with blood from the air sacs (alveoli) bursting. At that point he was going to be airlifted to either Mayo or Iowa City, whomever called first. I think we were at the ER at 9 a.m. and on a helicopter by 11:30 a.m.”

Cael has been incubated and on a ventilator that pushes oxygen into his lungs since arriving in Iowa City. In the first two days in the University of Iowa’s medical intensive care unit Loecher underwent four or five blood transfusions, but it has been a week since his last transfusion.

“The doctors have put him in what they call paralyzed sedation, which allows his lungs to rest as much as possible,” Lisa Loecher said.

More details in the article.

I can't imagine what his family is going through. His mom was watching his brother punt at Oregon State as this all went down. Having to try to support from across the country is almost impossible to comprehend.

I have no idea what you do to stop this from continuing to be a problem. I assume all the transfusions are trying to push those WBC out of the body. I would guess they'll pump him with chemo like drugs to kill the immune system temporarily to get it under control.

**** football, I just hope he gets to continue live a life at this point.

Professor Chaos
October 11th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Holy cow that's scary... thoughts and prayers with Cael and his family to pull through this.

dbackjon
October 11th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Best wishes to him and his family

UNAPride
October 11th, 2022, 05:58 PM
That's horrible!! Sending prayers to all.

OhioHen
October 11th, 2022, 06:58 PM
Prayers for him, his relationship family, and his football family.

Daytripper
October 11th, 2022, 07:56 PM
That is terrible. Sending all kinds of good energy his way.

Green Cookie Monster
October 11th, 2022, 08:01 PM
Prayers for him and his family. The second trauma is when he/his family receive the medical bill. Airlifted, ICU, extended hospital stay with tests. Do they have a Gofundme page?

clenz
October 11th, 2022, 08:22 PM
Prayers for him and his family. The second trauma is when he/his family receive the medical bill. Airlifted, ICU, extended hospital stay with tests. Do they have a Gofundme page?

I haven’t seen anything yet. I can’t imagine what his bills are going to look like after this. Weeks and weeks in the ICU at U of Iowa. In a medically induced coma, probably lose to 10 total transfusions by the end of it plus any other treatments and rehabs after.

I know there is a drive for wristbands (like the live strong stye) where you can buy one and they will be handed out at the Missouri State game in 2 weeks. It’s being run by his girlfriend and a few other friends. Donations made through Venmo at the moment for them it looks like. Information still coming and will be shared by the UNI beat guys as it comes out

https://twitter.com/eliotclough/status/1579891915390357504?s=46&t=pP-QD0uxUL5FWPmhLd0Udw

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221012/866a909fb82513217e848d89744c44bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
October 11th, 2022, 08:40 PM
It’s scary how these things can happen out of no where, and seemingly with no warning. Prayers for him and his family.

kdinva
October 12th, 2022, 09:06 AM
that's scary, I am praying for him to return to good health.

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Everybody takes their health for granted until they don’t have it

scary stuff

POD Knows
October 12th, 2022, 10:02 AM
My best to him, his family and to his UNI family. Really sad stuff

MSUBobcat
October 12th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Terrible. Best wishes to this young man, his family and friends.

Bisonator
October 12th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Puts things in perspective for sure. Scary stuff hoping for a full recovery for him.

The Yo Show
October 12th, 2022, 08:36 PM
So sad to hear. Will be in my prayers.

Fordham
October 13th, 2022, 09:03 AM
*****, this was a gut punch thread. Good luck and prayers to Cael, his family and the UNI family

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2022, 09:27 AM
Such an abrupt turn quickly. And I know how the air is thin in COS as I was at Lafayette-Air Force game but Pard nation is praying for this young man and his family!

dewey
October 15th, 2022, 10:06 AM
My best to him, his family and to his UNI family. Hopefully the medical staff can get him healed up.

Dewey