PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-10

JALMOND
October 10th, 2022, 08:50 PM
Last week was interesting. Three teams took the week off, one played a DII team that is playing no home games this season, and the rest went pretty much to form, with all home teams winning. Consequently, there is not much change to the power rankings this week as compared to last week. Some good games on the docket for this weekend, however, so there may be come mild surprises coming up. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky (last week rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only.

1. Montana (1)---Last week bye, this week Idaho at home---The Grizzlies were marching along, letting nothing get in their way, heading towards the break. Not even a ho-hum effort could kill the momentum they've generated so far. Things do pick up for them as they stay home to face the conference's main upstart.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week beat Eastern Washington at home 45-21, this week at Portland State---The Wildcats are keeping pace with the top teams in the conference, taking their turn in keeping the Eagles off their perch. They have a big game coming up in two weeks, but they first have to stay focused on avenging a defeat at the hands of the Vikings from last season.

3. Sacramento State (3)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 55-7, this week at Eastern Washington---The Hornets are for real and they seem to put lesser teams away with relative ease. They didn't give the Bears any chance last week, and now they go on the road and take their turn at the reeling Eagles squad.

4. Montana State (4)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 37-6, this week at Northern Colorado---The Bobcats are looking sharp with their home win last week when they didn't give the Bengals much chance to spring an upset. A tough test awaits them in two weeks, but first they cannot overlook a conference road game.

5. Idaho (5)---Last week bye, this week at Montana---The Vandals have looked really good against FCS competition and have to be feeling good about themselves heading into the break. The road will get tough from now on, starting with this week's game on the road, but the Vandals had two weeks to prepare so they should be ready.

6. UC Davis (6)---Last week bye, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Aggies have been coming up just short so it was probably a great time to take a break, catch their breath and turn their attention to finishing the season strong. They have a game this week at home against a reeling Lumberjack squad to return back to competition.

7. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week lost at Weber State 45-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Eagles offense is having problems in that they cannot cover the points that their defense is giving up. That certainly does not bode well for a winning team. And this week, they get another high-flying conference foe, at their house.

8. Portland State (8)---Last week beat Lincoln, CA (DII) 48-6, this week Weber State at home---The Vikings took a break from their conference schedule to play a team that only plays road games. One will see if they game was a tune up for conference success. They bring in a tough Wildcat team with revenge on their minds.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 31-29, this week at UC Davis---Good things were predicted for the Lumberjacks this season, so when they took a tough loss at the Vikings, they followed it up with a uncharacteristic performance at home against one of the worst teams. To top it off, things don't get much better this week.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 55-7, this week Montana State at home---Did the Bears even make it to the Hornets den last week? They were somewhat competitive until last week's blowout. No one is going to show them any sympathy as they get another game against a heavy hitter, this time at their place.

11. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 31-29, this week at Idaho State---The Mustangs had a good road conference win in their grasp, but could not get it to come to fruition. Close games will only get them so far. This week, they stay on the road for a game to determine last place in the conference for now anyway.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost at Montana State 37-6, this week Cal Poly at home---The Bengals took their feel good vibes from their game aganst the Grizzlies and promptly fell flat on their faces last week at the Bobcats. Things should get a bit easier, on paper this week, as they return home to face a more formidable foe.

RECAP: 1-4 on top, 5-6 staying close, 7-9 trying to hold on, 10-12 bringing up the rear.

SeattleCat
October 11th, 2022, 09:20 AM
I'd say the top 4 are really close but I have a different order:

1. Sac St. is the most complete team in the Big Sky. They're very balanced and have a bull of a running back in Cameron Skattebo.
2. Weber St. Best defensive team in the Big Sky and if they can find more offense they could dethone the hornets.
3. Montana Looked very strong to start the year but the current resume is losing its sparkle.
4. Montana St Bobcats are starting to get both sides of the ball going, defense that was soft is starting to harden, and the Cats get a key piece back this week against UNC.

These are the 4 contenders from the Big Sky this year.

MSUBobcat
October 11th, 2022, 10:40 AM
I'd say the top 4 are really close but I have a different order:

1. Sac St. is the most complete team in the Big Sky. They're very balanced and have a bull of a running back in Cameron Skattebo.
2. Weber St. Best defensive team in the Big Sky and if they can find more offense they could dethone the hornets.
3. Montana Looked very strong to start the year but the current resume is losing its sparkle.
4. Montana St Bobcats are starting to get both sides of the ball going, defense that was soft is starting to harden, and the Cats get a key piece back this week against UNC.

These are the 4 contenders from the Big Sky this year.

What if I told you Weber has the #15 scoring offense in FCS at 36.4ppg to go along with their #5 scoring defense at only 11.8ppg? Sac is #3 in scoring at 47.6ppg and #18 in defense with 18.4, but USU is a better team than CSU and Weber has also played Davis and EWU, whereas Sac played UNI and UNC. Weber played a DII, but Sac played Poly. Both played UTU. Sac has a better offense, but not by leaps and bounds, but Weber's defense is better. Weber's SOS is slightly better. IMO, it's really splitting hairs which is more complete.

MSUBobcat
October 11th, 2022, 11:08 AM
1. Weber (1) - ran away with a home victory over EWU in the last 18 minutes, outscoring them 21-0.
2. Sac St. (2) - crushed a bottom feeder.
3. Montana (3) - bye week, no change.
4. MSU (4) - ran up the score in the first half vs. ISU-o, then took the foot off the gas in the 2nd.
5. Idaho (5) - bye week, no change.
6. UC-Davis (6) - bye week, no change. The next 4 weeks should allow Davis to rack up the W's. The last 2 are must wins for playoffs (@Idaho, @Sac)
7. EWU (7) - got beat up in Ogden and the murderous schedule continues with Sac St. coming to town. Didn't move them down for the loss, because as I've done all year, I think EWU beats the team that would have jumped them (PSU) on Oct. 29th.
8. PSU (8) - beat a DII "team". I don't know what Lincoln is. Claiming to be DII, but have no home games and half their schedule is FCS (albeit a couple are transitioning).
9. NAU (9) - NoCo had a chance to jump the Jacks due to barely eking out a home W over Poly.... but then they went and got trounced in Sacramento, so.... no.
10. UNC (10) - boat raced last weekend.
11. ISU-o (11) - debated if Poly should move up due to playing with 2pts @ my #9 and the Bengals getting hammered by my #4, but they play this weekend in Pocatello and I'm leaning slightly toward the Bungles to get their first and maybe only W of 2022.
12. Poly (12) - if I'm wrong about the upcoming ISU-Poly game... Mustangs my #11 ranking is coming your way! Otherwise... you're probably staying in the cellar for the remainder of the season. (I give them a slight puncher's chance vs. PSU at home in the final game)

Given that the weekend's results went as I expected for the 2nd consecutive week (except for a couple teams over and under performing), no changes.

1-4 Contenders
5 Contender, but cannot slip up vs EWU and Davis at home in November
6 Playoffs are only possible by running the table, which would include back to back road wins at Idaho and Sac St.
7 Playoff aspirations are likely to end this weekend with their 5th straight loss (just a brutal, brutal schedule)
8-9 Hoping to play spoiler to someone's playoff/seed hopes
10-12 Wins are unlikely for the rest of the year except against each other.

Catbooster
October 11th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Looking at the polls posted by various voters in the AGS Poll Results thread each week, it seems that most voters from the Big Sky have Sac or Weber highest of the Big Sky teams while voters from other areas/conferences are more likely to put Montana on top. At this point, it's hard to criticize any of these choices. In the next few weeks we'll start getting these teams playing each other and start getting some clarity.

I've got them like this:

Sac State - In his third year and Troy Taylor has yet to lose a conference game if I remember correctly. But their performance in the playoffs has been terrible. Consequently we're all hesitant to pick them for the top place. Has Sac learned how to win in the playoffs?

Weber - For a number of years now Weber has been one of the top teams in the conference. They've made some deep runs in the playoffs on the strength of their defense but every year the complaint has been that they need to get a decent offense to make it farther. It appears they've found an offense this year.

Montana - They had a good run last year and by all accounts are stronger this year. They've been improving each year since Bobby came back. But the competition they've played against so far this year doesn't really prove much. They're good enough to take care of business but it's hard to say whether they've made some small improvements or a big step forward until they play some upcoming teams.

Montana State - They had a good run last year and finished ranked highest in the Big Sky. But after losing 4 players to NFL teams and other talented players as well (plus a relative unknown at QB) can they reload and do it again (actually probably need to be a little better)?

Sac State and Weber are basically tied for first IMO. Both undefeated with FBS wins.

Montana and Montana State are basically tied for third IMO. Both have beaten the teams in front of them but it hasn't been the most impressive SOS (other than our loss to OSU).

Then you've got Idaho, who has a chance to join these teams (or replace one) but it will be tough.

PSU - has a theoretical chance to make playoffs, etc. but very little room for error. They have over half the teams above them yet to play this year.

Davis and EWU are pretty good teams IMO - would probably beat some of the teams in the top 25 - but their schedules put them so far behind that they hardly have a chance to do anything other than play spoilers.

mvemjsunpx
October 12th, 2022, 02:04 AM
Sac State - In his third year and Troy Taylor has yet to lose a conference game if I remember correctly. But their performance in the playoffs has been terrible. Consequently we're all hesitant to pick them for the top place. Has Sac learned how to win in the playoffs?

They lost at Weber in 2019. That's the only one, though (they didn't play in Spring '21).

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2022, 09:50 AM
The bottom five big sky teams might be just as bad as the bottom five CAA teams

6 easy wins for the good teams

MSUBobcat
October 12th, 2022, 11:09 AM

Bottom 5 teams = 6 easy wins?? xeyebrowx

Also, like the CAA, the Big Sky Conf. has too many teams to play everyone. MSU has 4 of the bottom 5 (ISU, UNC, NAU and Poly). Montana, Weber, and Sac only get 3 of the bottom 5.

dbackjon
October 12th, 2022, 11:53 AM

Not close...

Massey Bottom 5 CAA:

Maine - #70
Towson - #73
Albany - #74
Hampton - #90
Stony Brook - #92

Average - 79.8

Big Sky
Portland St - #43
NAU - #51
UNC - #69
CP - #81
ISU - #89
Average - 66.6

So the Big Sky bottom AVERAGE is better than the 5th worst CAA team.

PSU is rated higher than the 6th worst CAA team