Illinois State Redbirds

Youngstown State Penguins

Most Significant Win:
William & Mary Tribe

Most Significant Loss:
Southeastern Louisiana Lions

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 11:54 AM
This week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-6-top-25-results-4/

New AGS Poll all-time highs once again for Holy Cross at #7 and Mercer at #10. I was kind of surprised to see Chattanooga still above Mercer - some preseason bias playing a role there I think but neither of those teams were playoff teams last year and Mercer was probably closer to making it into the 2021 field. Fordham made their first appearance in the AGS Top 25 since the 2017 preseason poll. This is the first time the Patriot League has had two teams in the AGS Top 25 since week 1 of 2017 when Lehigh and Colgate were both in there.

Not sure when the last time we had a #1 vs #2 matchup in the AGS Top 25 but it'll happen this week in Fargo.

Gil Dobie
October 10th, 2022, 11:59 AM
6 points separate the top 3

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Here is what I came up with this week:

1: Montana Grizzlies
2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
3: North Dakota State Bison
4: Sac State Hornets
5: Weber State Wildcats
6: Montana State Bobcats
7: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: Holy Cross Crusaders
9: Mercer Bears
10: William & Mary Tribe
11: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
14: Southern Illinois Salukis
15: Elon Phoenix
16: Samford Bulldogs
17: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
18: Jackson State Tigers
19: Richmond Spiders
20: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
21: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
22: Idaho Vandals
23: Fordham Rams
24: Rhode Island Rams
25: Eastern Kentucky Colonels

Samford is another SOCON team I think is a little shaky given how high they are in the consensus. They don't stack up favorably when compared with Elon, SEMO, or SIU in my opinion. I think they're still getting a lot of credit for that win over Kennesaw St which looked a lot more impressive at the time than it does now but they do have a good win over Furman as well.

dbackjon
October 10th, 2022, 12:02 PM
You could randomly draw the top 6 and not be wrong.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2022, 12:05 PM
This week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-6-top-25-results-4/

New AGS Poll all-time highs once again for Holy Cross at #7 and Mercer at #10. I was kind of surprised to see Chattanooga still above Mercer - some preseason bias playing a role there I think but neither of those teams were playoff teams last year and Mercer was probably closer to making it into the 2021 field. Fordham made their first appearance in the AGS Top 25 since the 2017 preseason poll. This is the first time the Patriot League has had two teams in the AGS Top 25 since week 1 of 2017 when Lehigh and Colgate were both in there.

Not sure when the last time we had a #1 vs #2 matchup in the AGS Top 25 but it'll happen this week in Fargo.

Love the article man, I always do and don't rep it enough. I need some rep help from you out there reading and enjoying as well so hit him with some rep for the efforts.

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Here's my entry this week:

1: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
2: Weber State Wildcats
3: Sac State Hornets
4: Montana Grizzlies
5: Montana State Bobcats
6: North Dakota State Bison
7: Holy Cross Crusaders
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: Incarnate Word Cardinals
10: Samford Bulldogs
11: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Southern Illinois Salukis
14: Mercer Bears
15: Jackson State Tigers
16: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
17: Elon Phoenix
18: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
19: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
20: Richmond Spiders
21: Furman Paladins
22: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
23: Illinois State Redbirds
24: Idaho Vandals
25: Fordham Rams

The Most Significant Win: Southern Illinois Salukis
The Most Significant Loss: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

ursus arctos horribilis
You could randomly draw the top 6 and not be wrong.

Definitely. Such a good looking year so far for the FCS so far.

Daytripper
EWU still getting votes?

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Why does Elon drop from last weeks poll and why does William jump over them?

Elon beat William in Williamsburg

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Definitely. Such a good looking year so far for the FCS so far.

The Wizard of Oz was good looking too until they pulled back the curtainxcoffeex
Hopefully the playoffs will bring us at least one good CAA Big Sky match up that’s not played in a blizzard funhouse

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 12:17 PM

I struggled with that but William & Mary dominated that game for 3 quarters... I think wins over Charlotte and now Delaware are showing that W&M was much better than they showed in that 4th quarter and would probably beat Elon in a rematch.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 12:20 PM
I struggled with that but William & Mary dominated that game for 3 quarters... I think wins over Charlotte and now Delaware are showing that W&M was much better than they showed in that 4th quarter and would probably beat Elon in a rematch.

I get it but final scores matter

Elon also beat Richmond the following week

William & Mary is a very solid top 10 team

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 12:20 PM
EWU still getting votes?

That is a bit ridiculous. A 1-4 team should not be getting 1 vote. Sure they played a tough schedule, but even their 1 win was a struggle against a 1-4 Tenn St. Not to mention they got manhandled in three of their loses. I suspect it is just a couple Big Sky voters trying to beef up their schedule.

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Definitely a close call. I can see both sides.

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 12:24 PM

I can agree on W&M... not so sure Elon is though. They'll get their chance to prove it though in the next 3 weeks (@URI, @UNH, and vs UD).

crusader11
October 10th, 2022, 12:42 PM
Proud of the voters here for ranking Jackson State at 16, unlike so many of the other polls out there who have them in the top ten.

AGS continues to have the most accurate 25 each week.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Somebody is explain to me why SELA is still in the top 25.

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 12:45 PM
Most still putting Weber as the 4th BSC team. I'd have put them as the best team in the Big Sky for a couple weeks. xdontknowx

As someone else mentioned (Chaos?), UT-M is still getting a ton of mileage out of that close loss to now 2-4 ORV Misery State. Yes, the Bears had a tough 4 game run, but their only other win was UCA, who somehow lost at home to Lindenwood. Their wins are WIU, Lindenwood, Tenn. Tech and Murray State, which are 99, 60, 72 and 119 in Massey composite (I think the composite smooths out the computer rankings a bit). Not exactly a murderer's row, with a loss to the only remotely tough team. How is SEMO's win AT Southern Illinois not valued greater than UT-M's close loss at Missouri State? Bummer they don't play each other.

taper
October 10th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Same reason NDSU didn't drop out in 2012 when Indiana St beat them. Upsets happen and by midseason you look at the body of work.

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 12:49 PM
Most still putting Weber as the 4th BSC team. I'd have put them as the best team in the Big Sky for a couple weeks. xdontknowx

As someone else mentioned (Chaos?), UT-M is still getting a ton of mileage out of that close loss to now 2-4 ORV Misery State. Yes, the Bears had a tough 4 game run, but their only other win was UCA, who somehow lost at home to Lindenwood. Their wins are WIU, Lindenwood, Tenn. Tech and Murray State, which are 99, 60, 72 and 119 in Massey composite (I think the composite smooths out the computer rankings a bit). Not exactly a murderer's row, with a loss to the only remotely tough team. How is SEMO's win AT Southern Illinois not valued greater than UT-M's close loss at Missouri State? Bummer they don't play each other.

I noticed this a couple weeks ago. How the hell does a conference with only 7 teams in it not play a round robin conference schedule??

Completely agree on Weber. To me them and Sac State are 1/2 in the Big Sky (I have Weber 1 but would be fine with either order) and Montana/MSU are 3/4 in the Big Sky (again fine with either order).

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Same reason NDSU didn't drop out in 2012 when Indiana St beat them. Upsets happen and by midseason you look at the body of work.
I don’t know, not really getting the allure. I had them in my poll last week, they beat ICW but their other wins are garbage and this weekends loss was pretty bad.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 12:53 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs-top-25-sam-herder-ballot-10-10-2022-bzbz/

Sam Herder of My Hero sports didn’t drop Elon

“William & Mary jumped into the Top 10 after beating Delaware. W&M is 5-1 with an FBS win, and UD is also 5-1 with an FBS win. They are both behind Elon, who is 5-1 overall and 5-0 vs. the FCS with two ranked wins vs. W&M and Richmond.”

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 12:54 PM
I don’t know, not really getting the allure. I had them in my poll last week, they beat ICW but their other wins are garbage and this weekends loss was pretty bad.
I was grasping once I got to the #21-#25 part of my poll ballot. Not a lot of teams beating down the door of the top 25 from my vantage point... would've been fine with moving SLU completely out but thought the UIW win was enough to keep them in given the lack of other options.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 01:02 PM
1: North Dakota State Bison
3: Montana Grizzlies
6: Weber State Wildcats
7: Mercer Bears
8: Holy Cross Crusaders
9: Elon Phoenix
10: William & Mary Tribe
11: Incarnate Word Cardinals
12: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
13: Samford Bulldogs
14: Richmond Spiders
15: Jackson State Tigers
16: Chattanooga Mocs
17: Southern Illinois Salukis
18: Furman Paladins
19: Idaho Vandals
21: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
22: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
23: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
24: Monmouth Hawks
25: Princeton Tigers

Caribbeanhen

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 01:02 PM

I agree and kept W&M slightly above Elon. I also thought the same thing with SIU/SEMO and that the Salukis would win a rematch and have ranked them as such.

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 01:04 PM

22: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

Caribbeanhen

Final scores matter :D

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 01:05 PM
I noticed this a couple weeks ago. How the hell does a conference with only 7 teams in it not play a round robin conference schedule??

Completely agree on Weber. To me them and Sac State are 1/2 in the Big Sky (I have Weber 1 but would be fine with either order) and Montana/MSU are 3/4 in the Big Sky (again fine with either order).

It's mind boggling they don't play. OVC trying to get 2 teams in the playoffs???

Same, except a bit more definitive to me. (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?313519-Big-Sky-Power-Rankings-10-3) Weber, Sac State, Montana, then Montana State. Weber seems pretty complete on both sides of the ball. Sac gave up 33 to UTU and 21 to Poly, so while I feel their offense is more potent, the defense is a step back from Weber, and in playoffs, defense tends to win out. Montana is very close to Sac State, but the poor 4th quarter against Idaho State has me leaning toward Sac, especially with the head to head being in Sacramento. MSU's defense is starting to gel a little bit, but they have a tendency to give up big plays. Our running game though... it's a beast especially with Sumner back and Elliott getting carries again. We only ran Chambers 8 times last weekend so saving wear and tear on him bodes well for the rest of the season.

JSUSoutherner
October 10th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Being 3-1 with a top 10 win will usually do that.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 01:08 PM
I was grasping once I got to the #21-#25 part of my poll ballot. Not a lot of teams beating down the door of the top 25 from my vantage point... would've been fine with moving SLU completely out but thought the UIW win was enough to keep them in given the lack of other options.
If their FBS games wouldn’t have been blowouts then I would have probably kept them in mind but those two FBS teams that smoked them ain’t exactly top shelf.

FUBeAR
October 10th, 2022, 01:34 PM
Here's my entry this week:

10: Samford Bulldogs
14: Mercer Bears

The serious logic continues…

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Mercer

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Wofford

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Mercer

@ Wofford

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Being 3-1 with a top 10 win will usually do that.
There is such a thing as a bad FBS loss and they have two of them. I dinged NDSU for the loss to a pretty bad AZ team so I generally apply the same process to others as well. Btw. I have NDSU at 5 in my poll based on the “quality” of their wins their bad loss to AZ.

Doesn’t SELA play JSU shortly. You are just hedging in case that game doesn’t go as planned

JSUSoutherner
October 10th, 2022, 01:49 PM
There is such a thing as a bad FBS loss and they have two of them. I dinged NDSU for the loss to a pretty bad AZ team so I generally apply the same process to others as well. Btw. I have NDSU at 5 in my poll based on the “quality” of their wins their bad loss to AZ.

Doesn’t SELA play JSU shortly. You are just hedging in case that game doesn’t go as planned
I'm not hedging. I just don't think their resume is as bad as you.

Their only FCS is TAMC, and TAMCs only loss is a close one to Tennessee Tech. Which looks bad. Until you realize all of Tennessee Tech's losses are to teams currently in the top 25 and they almost beat Samford.

So maybe SELAs FBS losses aren't great but I don't see anything in their resume so debilitating that it should completely overshadow the fact they beat a top 10 team.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 01:54 PM
I'm not hedging. I just don't think their resume is as bad as you.

Their only FCS is TAMC, and TAMCs only loss is a close one to Tennessee Tech. Which looks bad. Until you realize all of Tennessee Tech's losses are to teams currently in the top 25 and they almost beat Samford.

So maybe SELAs FBS losses aren't great but I don't see anything in their resume so debilitating that it should completely overshadow the fact they beat a top 10 team.
TX Commerce lost to SHSU, how good can they be. 😄

JSUSoutherner
October 10th, 2022, 01:58 PM
TX Commerce lost to SHSU, how good can they be. 
Oh yeah. U rite.

Drop their ass. 😂

OhioHen
October 10th, 2022, 02:00 PM
EWU still getting votes?
Calls into question the legitimacy of those polls top to bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

But Mary beat a top 10 Delaware.

taper
October 10th, 2022, 02:17 PM
2: North Dakota State Bison
4: Weber State Wildcats
5: Sac State Hornets
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Holy Cross Crusaders
12: Mercer Bears
13: Elon Phoenix
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
15: Southern Illinois Salukis
16: Samford Bulldogs
17: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
18: Rhode Island Rams
19: Richmond Spiders
20: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
21: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
22: Furman Paladins
23: Eastern Washington Eagles
24: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
25: Austin Peay Governors

taper

The Most Significant Win: William & Mary Tribe

Yes, I have EWU in my poll. I've always valued SOS over raw W/L record. They're on thin ice, but arguing about the bottom 5 teams midseason isn't really worth it. 20-40 could go in almost any order depending on your views. Anybody questioning legitimacy better not have JSU in their top 10. I'm not going to debate my poll in this thread, it is what it is and you're free to vote your way.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Hello POD Knows,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/9/2022 20:31:52

Your vote is listed below.

2: Sac State Hornets
3: Weber State Wildcats
5: North Dakota State Bison
8: Incarnate Word Cardinals
11: Mercer Bears
12: Elon Phoenix
13: William & Mary Tribe
15: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
16: Jackson State Tigers
17: Samford Bulldogs
18: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
19: Villanova Wildcats
21: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Fordham Rams
23: Austin Peay Governors
24: Princeton Tigers
25: Idaho Vandals

POD Knows

atthewbon
October 10th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Here is my ballot

NDSU
SDSU
Montana
Montana st
Sacramento st
Weber st
Elon
Holy Cross
William & Mary
Delaware
Jackson st
Incarnate Word
Chattanooga
Mercer
SEMO
Southern Illinois
Samford
North Dakota
Richmond
UT Martin
Princeton
Furman
Missouri st
Fordham
Southeastern Louisiana

nodak651
October 10th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Especially with Missouri State dropping off, why do people have UTM in the teens?

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 02:47 PM

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Mercer

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Wofford

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Mercer

@ Wofford

Yes, yes it does.

The front end of Mercers schedule has been pretty weak which is why I've been a little slow to rise in my poll. They finally played a team with a pulse this past weekend and looked very good, but they still don't have a quality of win like Samford does over Furman.

The top 3 in the SoCon are all pretty close and could really go in any order. But as I said right now I'm rewarding Samford's win over Furman.

Chalupa Batman
October 10th, 2022, 02:57 PM
It's mind boggling they don't play. OVC trying to get 2 teams in the playoffs???

(https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?313519-Big-Sky-Power-Rankings-10-3)

Apparently it's because they let Lindenwood play a conference schedule this year. Since everyone's OOC games were already scheduled, they took away 1 conference game from everyone else to make an open date for the Lions. So of course the game between the top 2 teams gets taken away xrotatehx

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Especially with Missouri State dropping off, why do people have UTM in the teens?

Sorry, didn't mean to pick out your quote exclusively (as others also are hating on Tennessee-Martin).

I think they are in the teens, because they lost to Missouri State (when the Bears gave a s***), AND they have not f***ed around with their other opponents like some in the Top 20 have. They have taken care of who they need to take care of, and for the most part convincingly.

Also, they have played against common opponents with Southeast Missouri State only one week apart, and have performed almost indistinguishably from SEMO. If voters don't think SEMO is a Top 20 (meaning they are in the teens), then perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated as well. Perhaps the thinking there is that Southern Illinois wasn't really good then, so SEMO shouldn't get as much credit (sounds similar to the Missouri State v. Tennessee-Martin argument then). But if you think SEMO is in the teens, there doesn't seem to be much of an argument for why Tennessee-Martin should not to be. That's why.

It's too bad Tennessee-Martin will have to wait until the playoffs to knock off anyone else that voters seem to think are meaningful, to justify them being...wait for it...in the teens.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it's because they let Lindenwood play a conference schedule this year. Since everyone's OOC games were already scheduled, they took away 1 conference game from everyone else to make an open date for the Lions. So of course the game between the top 2 teams gets taken away xrotatehx

Yes...mindboggling.

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Western Carolina

@ Mercer

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Wofford

@ Samford

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Mercer

@ Wofford

Can't say I disagree with this logic (and didn't in my poll either). Sucks that the deciding game is Nov 19, so I presume you will continue to add common opponents as we go along...looking forward to it.

Daytripper
October 10th, 2022, 03:37 PM
TX Commerce lost to SHSU, how good can they be. 

No argument here. I am expecting the Bearkats to get throttled this weekend at EKU.

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 03:43 PM

Since I opened my big mouth (or keyboard), here is my poll for the "foot inserting" part... ;)

----------

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/9/2022 10:43:53

4: North Dakota State Bison
6: Weber State Wildcats
8: Mercer Bears
9: Holy Cross Crusaders
11: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
12: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
13: Southern Illinois Salukis
14: Elon Phoenix
15: William & Mary Tribe
16: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
17: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
18: Richmond Spiders
19: Samford Bulldogs
20: Jackson State Tigers
21: Rhode Island Rams
22: Furman Paladins
23: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
24: Monmouth Hawks
25: Villanova Wildcats

Preferred Walk-On

nodak651
October 10th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to pick out your quote exclusively (as others also are hating on Tennessee-Martin).

I think they are in the teens, because they lost to Missouri State (when the Bears gave a s***), AND they have not f***ed around with their other opponents like some in the Top 20 have. They have taken care of who they need to take care of, and for the most part convincingly.

Also, they have played against common opponents with Southeast Missouri State only one week apart, and have performed almost indistinguishably from SEMO. If voters don't think SEMO is a Top 20 (meaning they are in the teens), then perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated as well. Perhaps the thinking there is that Southern Illinois wasn't really good then, so SEMO shouldn't get as much credit (sounds similar to the Missouri State v. Tennessee-Martin argument then). But if you think SEMO is in the teens, there doesn't seem to be much of an argument for why Tennessee-Martin should not to be. That's why.

It's too bad Tennessee-Martin will have to wait until the playoffs to knock off anyone else that voters seem to think are meaningful, to justify them being...wait for it...in the teens.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes...mindboggling.

"When they gave a ****"

What does that mean exactly? Missouri State played a tough schedule since the Arkansas game and I don't think there's any reason to believe the UTM would have done any better. UTM has a soft scheduled and beat down bad teams. This is the same thing the Southland has typically gotten grief for - playing bad teams and scoring a lot, but losing when they finally play a good teams. Missouri State would light up the teams UTM played, and Missouri State would probably look better doing it. Doesn't mean Missouri State is a top 15 team or even a top 25 team. UTM and Missouri State are products of their schedules.

WrenFGun
October 10th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Me trying to understand how Monmouth has more than double the votes that UNH has despite UNH beating Monmouth by ten points and being 4-0 in the CAA.

MUHAWKS
October 10th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Me trying to understand how Monmouth has more than double the votes that UNH has despite UNH beating Monmouth by ten points and being 4-0 in the CAA.

I feel your pain a bit since Villanova is ranked much higher than us both here and in the 2 major polls. They are 3-2, we are 4-2. They beat Lehigh badly, we beat Lehigh badly. They got BLOWN OUT against Army(ok fine) and beat Maine and LIU. We have 3 wins very similar to theirs and 2 losses by 13 combined points to a team that is ranked in both polls and you guys who are on the cusp and We BEAT Nova head to head.. Makes zero sense, only explanation is recency bias (they started high in the polls) so even AGS does the stuff the polls do in some form..

In terms of UNH/MU- I would say our 2 losses are better than your 2 losses (see above) We lost 2 games that went down to the final minutes to 2 good teams - Our top 10 win is better than your win against us. We both beat Albany in somewhat similar fashion. We beat 2 bad teams badly while you beat 2 not as bad but not good teams, 1 badly and 1 sort of close, but those 2 teams are better than who we beat. I would say people are punishing you for the NC central debacle. we each have 4 wins, but our best win is better than your best win. We each have 2 losses where our losses are clearly "better"-- You beat us head to head in a close game. If I were UNH fan I would question it as well but it is not far fetched. I would think in reality we should be neck and neck as of now. Clearly head to head is not even close to the only thing that matters in week 6 so I honestly do think we have a better overall argument/resume but again I get the gripe 100%. And I am also just opining on what others may be thinking not saying it is all facts or true.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2022, 04:50 PM
1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Montana Grizzlies
3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4: Montana State Bobcats
5: Holy Cross Crusaders
6: Sac State Hornets
7: Weber State Wildcats
8: Chattanooga Mocs
9: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
10: Mercer Bears
11: Elon Phoenix
12: Samford Bulldogs
14: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
15: Incarnate Word Cardinals
16: Princeton Tigers
17: Jackson State Tigers
20: Southern Illinois Salukis
21: Fordham Rams
22: Villanova Wildcats
23: Richmond Spiders
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: Furman Paladins

Go Lehigh TU owl

Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Can someone justify Villanova at #21. I have had them in as well earlier, but others have jumped them, at least in my poll. I realize they aren't a bad team, but still. They have wins over a fairly bad Lehigh (1-5) and LIU Post (0-5). They got stomped by a not very good Army (1-4). They lost to a mediocre Monmouth (4-2) and beat a semi bad Maine (1-4). So basically nothing yet. Another team living off rep still? Just curious how people are even justifying a 20-25 spot. I realize those are crap shoot spots.

SpreadTheWord
October 10th, 2022, 05:01 PM

I agree. 21-25 were probably the most difficult selections of this week's bracket.

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 05:11 PM
Can someone justify Villanova at #21. I have had them in as well earlier, but others have jumped them, at least in my poll. I realize they aren't a bad team, but still. They have wins over a fairly bad Lehigh (1-5) and LIU Post (0-5). They got stomped by a not very good Army (1-4). They lost to a mediocre Monmouth (4-2) and beat a semi bad Maine (1-4). So basically nothing yet. Another team living off rep still? Just curious how people are even justifying a 20-25 spot. I realize those are crap shoot spots.I have Villanova in my poll and it is mostly by rep at this point, NDSU's resume is bad as well and they are in the top 5, why is that, REP. They haven't beaten anybody either and had close games with the basement of the MVFC. It is what it is

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 05:20 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes...mindboggling.

For me, it's not necessarily that they shouldn't be in the (upper) teens; it's that they are ranked above SEMO. Both have similar FBS losses. Both beat Lindenwood and TTU similarly. UTM drubbed WIU, SEMO whooped Nicholls. SEMO sees UTM's Murray State win with better UCA win. SEMO then raises UTM's LOSS to a falling Missouri State with a quality victory over SIU. I'd almost even say the UCA WIN is better than a 5 point road loss to MSU, so SEMO has 2 points on the resume better than anything Martin has.

It's almost circular logic. UTM is good because they came close to a road victory over MSU.... but MSU is good because they beat a ranked UTM. They're feeding off the same game (and being playoff teams last year).

paward
October 10th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Question: W&M, SLL Win/lose pretty much a consensus? I almost never get that pick right.

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 05:26 PM

You gotta have a pic or gif when you use the "me trying to" phrase. Unless you don't know how to attach full size like me xembarrassedx If that's the case, carry on.

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 05:27 PM
"When they gave a ****"

What does that mean exactly? Missouri State played a tough schedule since the Arkansas game and I don't think there's any reason to believe the UTM would have done any better. UTM has a soft scheduled and beat down bad teams. This is the same thing the Southland has typically gotten grief for - playing bad teams and scoring a lot, but losing when they finally play a good teams. Missouri State would light up the teams UTM played, and Missouri State would probably look better doing it. Doesn't mean Missouri State is a top 15 team or even a top 25 team. UTM and Missouri State are products of their schedules.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your complete speculation of how each team WOULD do, I do think one has to agree that Tennessee-Martin has taken care of their business as best they can. You can only play (and beat) the opponents scheduled, and I completely agree that has been the knock for other leagues, yet when push comes to shove, some of these teams do surprise (and do extremely well) in the playoffs. I am just saying that SEMO obviously has a comparative league schedule, and if you hid the team names, you would not know the difference between UTM and SEMO. Yes, I would love to see how Missouri State would fare with Tennessee-Martin's schedule, but that will not happen.

Just for S&G's can you name 15 teams above Missouri State with schedules/opponents that the Bears would not have lit up and/or not probably looked better doing it. If you can't, then Missouri State should be in your top 15, right? Are any of these teams not in the MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA? - I think THAT is the knock that chaps some in this forum (and rightfully so).

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 05:29 PM
I have Villanova in my poll and it is mostly by rep at this point, NDSU's resume is bad as well and they are in the top 5, why is that, REP. They haven't beaten anybody either and had close games with the basement of the MVFC. It is what it is

Similar in concept but not to the same degree in actual data points. NDSU has not gotten a beating at the hands of a bottom third FBS, and didn't lose to an average FCS. They beat both middle of the road teams they have played even if those teams have bad records (those being YSU and SD). Doesn't matter much after this coming week. Nova is at Richmond. It'll be sorted one way or another. Just curious if I'm missing something.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Final scores matter :D

I totally agree and I’m very weak at the bottom of these polls, but you guys cannot subjectively make up outcomes of Games that are not even on the schedule

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 05:47 PM
Similar in concept but not to the same degree in actual data points. NDSU has not gotten a beating at the hands of a bottom third FBS, and didn't lose to an average FCS. They beat both middle of the road teams they have played even if those teams have bad records (those being YSU and SD). Doesn't matter much after this coming week. Nova is at Richmond. It'll be sorted one way or another. Just curious if I'm missing something.
Nova and Richmond will tell a lot but NDSU's YTD performance and weak SOS and their pretty lackluster performance against that weak SOS does not warrant their ranking and it is primarily rep that is driving it but rep/history is a real thing and should be considered early in the season

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Nova and Richmond will tell a lot but NDSU's YTD performance and weak SOS and their pretty lackluster performance against that weak SOS does not warrant their ranking and it is primarily rep that is driving it but rep/history is a real thing and should be considered early in the season

Especially when that rep/history is reigning champion and winners of 9 of the last 11. That buys you quite a bit of "benefit of the doubt" until proven otherwise.

nodak651
October 10th, 2022, 05:59 PM
While I don't necessarily disagree with your complete speculation of how each team WOULD do, I do think one has to agree that Tennessee-Martin has taken care of their business as best they can. You can only play (and beat) the opponents scheduled, and I completely agree that has been the knock for other leagues, yet when push comes to shove, some of these teams do surprise (and do extremely well) in the playoffs. I am just saying that SEMO obviously has a comparative league schedule, and if you hid the team names, you would not know the difference between UTM and SEMO. Yes, I would love to see how Missouri State would fare with Tennessee-Martin's schedule, but that will not happen.

Just for S&G's can you name 15 teams above Missouri State with schedules/opponents that the Bears would not have lit up and/or not probably looked better doing it. If you can't, then Missouri State should be in your top 15, right? Are any of these teams not in the MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA? - I think THAT is the knock that chaps some in this forum (and rightfully so).

My point is that crushing the teams that they did isn't impressive. They also lost to a now unranked team. You value style points over wins and losses and strength of schedule it seems.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 06:08 PM
Hello POD Knows,

POD Knows

Delaware beat William & Mary?

And if you tell me you couldn’t justify moving William up x number of spots in the pole then maybe you didn’t have them ranked correctly in the first place

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Delaware beat William & Mary?

And if you tell me you couldn’t justify moving William up x number of spots in the pole then maybe you didn’t have them ranked correctly in the first placeI had William and Mary at 19 in my last poll which was the perfect spot and moved them up to 13 now, which is the perfect spot, I had Delaware at 5 in my last poll and dropped them to 9 for a one possession away loss to a ranked team, 9 is the perfect spot for Delaware. xnodx

mvemjsunpx
October 10th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. South Dakota St. (2)
2. Sacramento St. (3)
3. Weber St. (4)
4. Montana St. (5)
5. Montana (6)
6. North Dakota St. (1)
7. Holy Cross (7)
8. Jackson St. (8)
9. Incarnate Word (10)
10. Mercer (11)
11. Tennessee-Chattanooga (12)
12. Southeast Missouri St. (13)
13. Southern Illinois (17)
14. Elon (14)
15. William & Mary (16)
16. Delaware (9)
17. Richmond (18)
18. North Dakota (19)
19. Fordham (22)
20. Monmouth (23)
21. Samford (24)
22. Missouri St. (20)
23. Tennessee-Martin (21)
24. Austin Peay (NR)
25. Eastern Kentucky (NR)

Dropped - Southeastern Louisiana (15), Central Arkansas (25)

W - Southern Illinois
L - Southeastern Louisiana

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2022, 07:16 PM

I anticipated UTM's credibility to be questioned as a the season goes along...

My assessment of the Skyhawks is very similar to yours. I believe their lone loss to an extremely talented, at the time, motivated team is perfectly acceptable. IMO, there is no shame in that loss given the ebb and flows of the season. Their wins have been in dominant fashion which is what one likes to see given the OVC's overall strength. I thought UTM was a very good team last year who had the capacity to either equal or surpass such a precedent. At the same time (given my time as a Patriot League fan) I knew their credibility would naturally be questioned. UTM will likely have to pass a surprise conference test the rest of the way which is fine since they should get everyone's best shot. 9-2 (they're not beating the Vols) should keep them in the "seed conversation".

Also, funny that, like my poll, there was not a single CAA team in the Top 10. Anyone know the last time that happened? How about the last time the PL highest ranked team was higher than the CAA's highest ranked team? 2018 Colgate? 2011 Lehigh?

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 07:16 PM
My point is that crushing the teams that they did isn't impressive. They also lost to a now unranked team. You value style points over wins and losses and strength of schedule it seems.

Yep, nailed it (could not find the dripping with sarcasm emoji). Although, I believe you were the one that brought up style points (you know, MSU lighting up teams, probably looking better doing it, yada, yada, yada).

Still missing the following:

1. nodak651's poll.
2. 15 teams with better style points than MSU (or UTM for that matter).
3. Whether the top 15 should be exclusively MVFC, Big Sky, CAA...you know, SOS.

Acknowledge, or don't, that there are some other good teams in other conferences, and just because they haven't played perennial powers, doesn't mean they are not worthy of ranking (or even a ranking in the teens). I'm not saying rank Jackson State #1, I'm saying that unfortunately, UTM (and others) play who they play.

Preferred Walk-On
October 10th, 2022, 07:19 PM
I anticipated UTM's credibility to be questioned as a the season goes along...

My assessment of the Skyhawks is very similar to yours. I believe their lone loss to an extremely talented, at the time, motivated team is perfectly acceptable. IMO, there is no shame in that loss given the ebb and flows of the season. Their wins have been in dominant fashion which is what one likes to see given the OVC's overall strength. I thought UTM was a very good team last year who had the capacity to either equal or surpass such a precedent. At the same time (given my time as a Patriot League fan) I knew their credibility would naturally be questioned. UTM will likely have to pass a surprise conference test the rest of the way which is fine since they should get everyone's best shot. 9-2 (they're not beating the Vols) should keep them in the "seed conversation".

Also, funny that, like my poll, there was not a single CAA team in the Top 10. Anyone know the last time that happened?

I would agree with this. I don't think seed, but I think we (the grand "we") might be picking the wrong team to s*** on at this time. Of course, 6 more games will bear this out (at least as to whether or not they continue to take care of the business that they control).

nodak651
October 10th, 2022, 07:25 PM
Yep, nailed it (could not find the dripping with sarcasm emoji). Although, I believe you were the one that brought up style points (you know, MSU lighting up teams, probably looking better doing it, yada, yada, yada).

Still missing the following:

1. nodak651's poll.
2. 15 teams with better style points than MSU (or UTM for that matter).
3. Whether the top 15 should be exclusively MVFC, Big Sky, CAA...you know, SOS.

Acknowledge, or don't, that there are some other good teams in other conferences, and just because they haven't played perennial powers, doesn't mean they are not worthy of ranking (or even a ranking in the teens). I'm not saying rank Jackson State #1, I'm saying that unfortunately, UTM (and others) play who they play.

I think you misunderstood where I'm coming from, because I don't neceessarily think Missouri State should be ranked.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 07:27 PM
I had William and Mary at 19 in my last poll which was the perfect spot and moved them up to 13 now, which is the perfect spot, I had Delaware at 5 in my last poll and dropped them to 9 for a one possession away loss to a ranked team, 9 is the perfect spot for Delaware. xnodx

beam me up 😂

some seriously crazy logic going on ranking CAA teams

imaginary games even

crusader11
October 10th, 2022, 07:49 PM
I had William and Mary at 19 in my last poll which was the perfect spot and moved them up to 13 now, which is the perfect spot, I had Delaware at 5 in my last poll and dropped them to 9 for a one possession away loss to a ranked team, 9 is the perfect spot for Delaware. xnodx

You didn’t have W+M correctly ranked if they were 19, IMO.

MUMD
October 10th, 2022, 07:53 PM
That is a bit ridiculous. A 1-4 team should not be getting 1 vote. Sure they played a tough schedule, but even their 1 win was a struggle against a 1-4 Tenn St. Not to mention they got manhandled in three of their loses. I suspect it is just a couple Big Sky voters trying to beef up their schedule.

Lots of ongoing bias, especially when the selection committee gets together in November.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 08:09 PM
You didn’t have W+M correctly ranked if they were 19, IMO.

Nobody west of the Mississippi has watched a CAA game all year because of Flo and it shows in the polls

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 08:29 PM
Nobody west of the Appalachians has watched a CAA game all year because of Flo and it shows in the polls
FIFY

TheKingpin28
October 10th, 2022, 08:48 PM
1: MontanaGrizzlies
3: Sac State Hornets
4: North Dakota State Bison
5: Weber State Wildcats
9: Chattanooga Mocs
10: Jackson State Tigers
12: William & Mary Tribe
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Samford Bulldogs
15: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
16: Elon Phoenix
18: Richmond Spiders
20: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
21: Fordham Rams
22: Monmouth Hawks
23: Villanova Wildcats
24: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
25: Rhode Island Rams

I appreciate the NDSU love but if you have seen them play, they are not #1, IMO, not even #2. It is what it is but they will get their true test this weekend.

I know I am high on Jackson St and I am fine with that. Yes, I probably should have had them closer to 13/14 but for me to only have that 1 glaring ??? moment, I'm fine with that.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 08:48 PM
FIFY

Haha, I thought about a more eastern geo reference because I knew Ohio Hen would pipe up

JSUSoutherner
October 10th, 2022, 08:52 PM
FIFY
Can confirm.

that guy
October 10th, 2022, 08:55 PM
Isn't UNH in first place in the caa and not in the top 25 in this poll?

MR. CHICKEN
October 10th, 2022, 09:34 PM

YES & YES...........AWK!

FIFY........WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.......xdontknowx........BRAWK!

Catbooster
October 10th, 2022, 11:14 PM
YES & YES...........AWK!

FIFY........WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.......xdontknowx........BRAWK!
Fixed it for you

WrenFGun
October 11th, 2022, 12:24 AM

…yes.

Mike296
October 11th, 2022, 01:14 AM
Why the hell are we getting votes after getting absolutely pole axed by Central Arkansas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallgeorgiagent
October 11th, 2022, 09:37 AM

Not sure when the last time we had a #1 vs #2 matchup in the AGS Top 25 but it'll happen this week in Fargo.I'm with you on that and I'm a Chattanooga fan. Mercer looks strong [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
October 11th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Ballots that were left unsent as the poll closed yesterday have now been sent out.

Houndawg
October 11th, 2022, 01:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes...mindboggling.

We didn't show up for UIW, but I thought we turned things around/woke up with SEMO. We lost the game at home but we played orders of magnitude better than week 1 - we just got beat by a good team that will be a legit playoff team this year.

kdinva
October 11th, 2022, 01:35 PM
1: Montana Grizzlies
3: North Dakota State Bison
6: Holy Cross Crusaders
8: Weber State Wildcats
9: Mercer Bears
11: William & Mary Tribe
12: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
13: Samford Bulldogs
14: Elon Phoenix
15: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
16: Villanova Wildcats
17: Jackson State Tigers
18: Southern Illinois Salukis
19: Fordham Rams
21: Richmond Spiders
22: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
23: Princeton Tigers
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: Furman Paladins

Preferred Walk-On
October 11th, 2022, 08:45 PM
I think you misunderstood where I'm coming from, because I don't neceessarily think Missouri State should be ranked.

It's possible, as I have been misunderstanding a lot lately.

I think where I am coming from is that if MSU would have better "style" (better lighting up and looking better) against UTM opponents, and MSU is not ranked, I am wondering who the 19 teams are that would also better light up and look better against UTM's opponents, as those would have to be the Top 19 to push UTM out of the teens. I guess that is where I am coming from. I don't believe those 19 teams exist. Heck, from my rankings, you can see that I don't believe more than 10 teams would do that. Of course, the beauty of 50 voters in the poll is that although we can disagree on some teams, consensus typically prevails...and that consensus is that UTM is a team in the teens. I appreciate the input, just don't think it is really that difficult to believe that UTM is a top 20 team or even a top 15 team, contrary to some opinions in this forum.

Preferred Walk-On
October 11th, 2022, 08:47 PM
We didn't show up for UIW, but I thought we turned things around/woke up with SEMO. We lost the game at home but we played orders of magnitude better than week 1 - we just got beat by a good team that will be a legit playoff team this year.

Yes, I don't think UIW is necessarily as good as their first couple of games indicated, and I don't think SIU is as overmatched as the UIW game indicated. I believe the truth is somewhere in between. It is going to be fun if both teams make the playoffs (which looks very possible). It will be even more fun if a rematch somehow occurs.

Professor
October 12th, 2022, 09:33 AM

The loss to NCCU is what's hurting them

OhioHen
October 12th, 2022, 11:48 AM
And what had NCCU receiving a decent number of votes for a while.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Yep, pretty tough to rank UNH if you're not ranking NC Central. If UNH can pick up a win or two when they play Elon, Richmond, and URI they should be able to get in there.

Chalupa Batman
October 12th, 2022, 01:21 PM
For me, it's not necessarily that they shouldn't be in the (upper) teens; it's that they are ranked above SEMO. Both have similar FBS losses. Both beat Lindenwood and TTU similarly. UTM drubbed WIU, SEMO whooped Nicholls. SEMO sees UTM's Murray State win with better UCA win. SEMO then raises UTM's LOSS to a falling Missouri State with a quality victory over SIU. I'd almost even say the UCA WIN is better than a 5 point road loss to MSU, so SEMO has 2 points on the resume better than anything Martin has.

It's almost circular logic. UTM is good because they came close to a road victory over MSU.... but MSU is good because they beat a ranked UTM. They're feeding off the same game (and being playoff teams last year).

UTM's schedule is pretty interesting. Their next game is a 2nd FBS game against the Vols (I'm assuming they lose handily) and their remaining FCS games are against Houston Christian, Kennesaw State, Tennessee State, & Eastern Illinois. So far they're 4-1 vs FCS with their best win being over......Lindenwood? Win out and they'll be 8-1 but with an absolutely trash resume. Not sure who wins the autobid if both them and SEMO win out but they may very well need it. Any slip up along the way and I doubt they make the playoffs.

OhioHen
October 12th, 2022, 03:23 PM
UTM's schedule is pretty interesting. Their next game is a 2nd FBS game against the Vols (I'm assuming they lose handily) and their remaining FCS games are against Houston Christian, Kennesaw State, Tennessee State, & Eastern Illinois. So far they're 4-1 vs FCS with their best win being over......Lindenwood? Win out and they'll be 8-1 but with an absolutely trash resume. Not sure who wins the autobid if both them and SEMO win out but they may very well need it. Any slip up along the way and I doubt they make the playoffs.
Any slip up against the rest of their schedule also likely causes a plummet in their poll ranking.

Chalupa Batman
October 12th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Any slip up against the rest of their schedule also likely causes a plummet in their poll ranking.

They may fall a little bit in mine even if/when they keep winning. Any loss and they're almost guaranteed to lose any consideration to be in my poll.

caribbeanhen
October 15th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Hello POD Knows,

POD Knows

good call on Sac St and Weber .. coin flip for 2 and 3 spot
this Cameron Skattebo puts Leupke to shame

Nova to high ... Richmond was always better

I had Idaho in my poll 2 weeks ago and bumped up to 19. Now what ...

wapiti
October 15th, 2022, 10:02 PM

Ewu would beat up Jackson State