PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 SOUTHLAND Conference Pick ‘em

McCowboys
October 10th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Week 7 SOUTHLAND Conference Pick ‘em
No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners. I hope to have a poll, but if not, just copy and paste and bold your selections.

Six SLC teams are in action in week #7, all are conference games. Southeastern Louisiana and Lamar take a break.
This week’s conference matchups: Incarnate Word at Nicholls; Northwestern State at Houston Christian; Texas A&M-Commerce at McNeese.
UIW (2-1 SLC), after suffering its first loss of the season at SLU a couple of weeks ago, has put the hurting on McNeese and Lamar at home. They now travel to the bayou to face Nicholls (1-1 SLC) who picked up its first win of the season on a last-second field goal at HCU.
The Demons of Northwestern State fell behind the EIU Panthers, but almost made another miraculous comeback before falling. Still the Demons are 2-0 in conference and are one of two teams with an unbeaten conference slate. The Demons head to HCU, who is 1-1 in conference play.
Commerce is the other team with an unblemished conference record after a noteworthy win over the SLU Lions (1-1 SLC) in Hammond. The blue and gold Lions (1-0 SLC) travel to Lake Charles to face the struggling Cowboys (0-1 SLC) under first year coach Gary Goff. This will not be Commerce’s Bailiff’s first trip to the Lake City, as he has fond memories of his previous visits as head (and assistant) coach of Texas State (at that time Southwest Texas State). I think he said at SLC media day that this game was circled on his calendar.
UIW at Nicholls 10/15/2022 3:00 PM
Northwestern State at HCU 10/15/2022 6:00 PM
Commerce at McNeese 10/15/2022 7:00 PM

McCowboys
October 10th, 2022, 11:39 AM
If Nicholls beats UIW, it will be one of those major upsets.
The other two games are flip a coin type games. I am going with the home teams for those games.

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 10th, 2022, 07:53 PM
If Nicholls beats UIW, it will be one of those major upsets.
The other two games are flip a coin type games. I am going with the home teams for those games.

So for those of us new to the conference, I have a couple questions I hope you can answer.

I have heard good things about a McNeese Homecoming, so if I stop by what are the must-see things?

Where should I eat?

What should we watch for from the McNeese team?

McCowboys
October 11th, 2022, 10:08 AM
So for those of us new to the conference, I have a couple questions I hope you can answer.

I have heard good things about a McNeese Homecoming, so if I stop by what are the must-see things?

Where should I eat?

Hopefully, you will get answers to your questions. If you will be in Lake Charles Friday night, head to McNeese for the free block party: https://cajunradio.com/the-band-of-heathens-headline-cowboy-block-party-this-friday-oct-14/

https://cajunradio.com/the-band-of-heathens-headline-cowboy-block-party-this-friday-oct-14/

McCowboys
October 11th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Where should I eat?

If you will be out and about in Lake Charles, these are some eating places that I and others would recommend: Darrel's PoBoys; Tony's Pizza (homemade pizzas, muffalattas, gyros, etc.); Pronia's Deli; Nina P's; Steamboat Bills; Walk-Ons; Landry's Seafood.
I also imagine that if you wander around the tailgate area Saturday and are friendly and look hungry that someone will probably feed you.

Daytripper
October 11th, 2022, 04:40 PM

Where should I eat?

Lake Charles was always my favorite Southland road trip. I'm gonna miss that good Cajun food and hospitality.

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 11th, 2022, 09:22 PM
If you will be out and about in Lake Charles, these are some eating places that I and others would recommend: Darrel's PoBoys; Tony's Pizza (homemade pizzas, muffalattas, gyros, etc.); Pronia's Deli; Nina P's; Steamboat Bills; Walk-Ons; Landry's Seafood.
I also imagine that if you wander around the tailgate area Saturday and are friendly and look hungry that someone will probably feed you.

Thanks for the help. I love college football, and won’t trash talk until I make the play call or the tackle, so if someone is willing to feed me I will greatly appreciate it.

Puddin Tane
October 11th, 2022, 11:08 PM
Darrells Special! We drive over some nights just for that!

SFA 93
October 12th, 2022, 09:18 AM
https://darrellspoboys.com/

McNeese72
October 13th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Didn't have a good week last week. Went for a couple of upsets that didn't happen and missed the one that did. Went 1-3 and I am now 24-19 for the season. I am not very good at this.

Doc

McCowboys
October 14th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Didn't have a good week last week. Went for a couple of upsets that didn't happen and missed the one that did. Went 1-3 and I am now 24-19 for the season. I am not very good at this.

Doc

I can't see how anyone would be doing well during this crazy season. Did anyone pick Commerce to be SLU last week? Everyone is picking UIW this week, but any given Saturday. The other two contests are split as far as the voting goes: tossups. Who knows?

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested in voting in this poll, you have about 24 hours left to do so.

WE_ARE_LIONS
October 14th, 2022, 06:23 PM
I can't see how anyone would be doing well during this crazy season. Did anyone pick Commerce to be SLU last week? Everyone is picking UIW this week, but any given Saturday. The other two contests are split as far as the voting goes: tossups. Who knows?

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested in voting in this poll, you have about 24 hours left to do so.

So any thoughts from McNeese on Commerce now?

I think the Lion offense moves the ball enough to put up consistent points, and the Lion run D forces a lot of 3rd and long situations. Commerce by 6.

SFA 93
October 16th, 2022, 06:56 AM
The Lions are a solid football team from top to bottom, starting with a great Head Coach in Bailiff, a NFL caliber WR in Armstrong, a playmaker at QB in Rodriguez, a defense with Funderburk and Young up front who have combed for 9.5 TFL and 5 sacks a secondary with 7 INTs, could easily be 6-0 right now, should have won the Tenn. Tech game.

Armstrong REC:37; YDS:718; AVG:19.4; TD:11 (120 yards and 2 TD's a game)

Scary thing is, this is a young team, and barring departure via the portal, TAMUC could be favored to win the SLC for the 2023 season, this so early in their 4 year transition period.

McCowboys
October 16th, 2022, 07:25 AM
The Lions are a solid football team from top to bottom, starting with a great Head Coach in Bailiff, a NFL caliber WR in Armstrong, a playmaker at QB in Rodriguez, a defense with Funderburk and Young up front who have combed for 9.5 TFL and 5 sacks a secondary with 7 INTs, could easily be 6-0 right now, should have won the Tenn. Tech game.

Armstrong REC:37; YDS:718; AVG:19.4; TD:11 (120 yards and 2 TD's a game)

Scary thing is, this is a young team, and baring departure via the portal, TAMUC could be favored to win the SLC for the 2023 season, so early in their 4 year transition period.

Even though this latest win for the Lions was against a pathetic McNeese team who has only one win this season (over a DII school) and several blowout losses, I agree. I would put Commerce in my Top 25 now if they were eligible for the AGS poll.

SFA 93
October 16th, 2022, 04:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfKPHR1XoAAtpjb?format=jpg&name=medium