PDA

View Full Version : Sam Herder's view on Campbell this week

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Dropping out of my ballot is Missouri State after suffering its fourth straight loss, this one to Southern Illinois. I debated between UNH, Idaho, Campbell, Monmouth, Nova, or Furman to jump into my Top 25. I ended up going with Campbell, and I actually slid the Camels to No. 21. They are 3-1 vs. the FCS with a 16-point loss to Top 10 W&M. They hammered NC Central, who beat UNH, who beat Monmouth, who beat Nova.

bonarae
October 9th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Campbell is just outside of my top 25 this week. After their outcome at Jackson State, that is the time we will probably decide if they will crack it. Their SOS of the second half of the season is rather weak should I say.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 05:16 AM
Campbell is just outside of my top 25 this week. After their outcome at Jackson State, that is the time we will probably decide if they will crack it. Their SOS of the second half of the season is rather weak should I say.

Campbell vs Jackson St is the game of the year

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2022, 07:01 AM
I've seen Campbell in person. They've been in my top 25 the last two weeks.

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 08:01 AM
Campbell is top 2 when it comes to FCS nicknames (I'd give them the nod over Stetson but I could see the argument for putting them below the Hatters).

JacksFan40
October 10th, 2022, 08:22 AM
If you pretend SDSU vs NDSU and Montana vs Montana State aren’t happening.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 08:44 AM

We already know those 4 teams are good though

Grizalltheway
October 10th, 2022, 09:25 AM
And Montana vs Sac State, Montana vs Weber, Montana vs...:D

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 09:46 AM
We already know those 4 teams are good though

Not sure it is the game of year overall. But it certainly is a top 10 in regard to revealing a lot. You are correct that all those other games are between known good teams. Not a huge amount to be revealed there except some possible seeding questions. But this one will show us a lot in regard to these two teams. Two teams that are still a bit of an enigma. It will either relegate Jackson State to ORVs or propel it to an earned spot in the top 15ish. Likewise Campbell can establish itself as a solid top 20-25 or better. They could realistically win out after the Jackson St game. The results of those other top games will result in movement somewhere between #1 and 10-12 at worst.

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2022, 10:04 AM
And Montana vs Sac State, Montana vs Weber, Montana vs...:D

October 22nd games are going to be exciting in the Big Sky. Weber @ MSU, UM @ Sac St. Assuming no letdowns this week, it's reasonable that both games will feature teams all ranked in the top 6-8.

Looking at some of the other conference schedules, there's a few other games of high importance. Elon @ UNH may both be undefeated in CAA play, assuming Elon gets the road win over Rhody. SDSU @ UND another good one, with SDSU coming in off a battle in Fargo and UND coming off a bye. Mercer @ Chatty should be a battle of unbeaten SoCon teams.

MUHAWKS
October 10th, 2022, 10:06 AM
I find it HILARIOUS that people are buying into Campbell as a good team after doing NOTHING this year. 3-2, a sort of hung in there game with W&M but solid double digit loss, blowout loss to FBS, just get by a not good Charleston southern team, and blowout win against NC Central who yes beat UNH but is also unproven.

So the irony in this is I have been saying Campbell is good for a while. Yet most on this board shunned the big south and essentially discredited wins over teams like Campbell. Campbell/Jackson State means nothing if we are to believe the board here who 90% of says Jackson state over rated and would get smoked by a good team and who forever has said the Big South sucks and never gave a lick of Credit for handily beating teams like them year in and out.. So while I actually DO think Campbell is good, what is eveeryone elses logic that all of a sudden now they are? It cannot be a resume from the first 6 weeks..

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 10:19 AM
I find it HILARIOUS that people are buying into Campbell as a good team after doing NOTHING this year. 3-2, a sort of hung in there game with W&M but solid double digit loss, blowout loss to FBS, just get by a not good Charleston southern team, and blowout win against NC Central who yes beat UNH but is also unproven.

So the irony in this is I have been saying Campbell is good for a while. Yet most on this board shunned the big south and essentially discredited wins over teams like Campbell. Campbell/Jackson State means nothing if we are to believe the board here who 90% of says Jackson state over rated and would get smoked by a good team and who forever has said the Big South sucks and never gave a lick of Credit for handily beating teams like them year in and out.. So while I actually DO think Campbell is good, what is eveeryone elses logic that all of a sudden now they are? It cannot be a resume from the first 6 weeks..

you said the Big South sucks didn’t you
What I find hilarious is people like me are actually excited about Campbell playing Jackson St

Its like the great FCS experiment match up

Really how good is Jackson St ? We just don’t know

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 10:28 AM
you said the Big South sucks didn’t you
What I find hilarious is people like me are actually excited about Campbell playing Jackson St

Its like the great FCS experiment match up

Really how good is Jackson St ? We just don’t know
And when Campbell is your only barometer that's a problem.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Yep, that’s a big part of it

ElCid
October 10th, 2022, 11:30 AM

Yes, but it is at least one. If they didn't have that game what do they have? Nada.

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2022, 12:43 PM
Yes, but it is at least one. If they didn't have that game what do they have? Nada.
I get what you're saying I just don't think Campbell is that great... working their way towards the fringe of the top 25 right now and perhaps top 25 by the end of the season. Beating them at home doesn't really cement a team as top 15 (or top 10 in the case of the coaches poll).

POD Knows
October 10th, 2022, 01:02 PM
No it isn’t. It is an interesting but virtually irrelevant game with no real long or short term implications.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 08:21 PM
No it isn’t. It is an interesting but virtually irrelevant game with no real long or short term implications.

interesting trumps all of that for me. We don’t have enough interesting games in FCS