PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Vs San Diego

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
UD vs USD

Two of the so called top mid major teams go at it this week in Dayton. USD has been on fire, to say the least. I am not sure Dayton has the depth to stop this team but the homer in me says they will. This game will show us if Dayton is back on track and if USD is really as good as the numbers show.

The key to beat USD is to obviously play a solid game with no turnovers, good special teams and contain JJ. I am looking forward to the game. xthumbsupx

My pick- UD wins by a slim margin (did u really think I would pick USD?)

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
xblahblahx

I don't think any of us care about this game seeing as the NCAA makes us suffer through dealing with mid-majors by leaving them in Div I football despite any efforts to properly fund the sport...though it would be nice to see Dayton win because that ends any hope of San Diego making the playoffs...xthumbsupx

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Dayton is a solid PFL team, but they don't have the horses to stop or beat San Diego who is in a different stratosphere in PFL terms. Unless Josh Johnson misses the flight Dayton doesn't have a chance....sorry Flyer fans!

San Diego 42
Dayton 14

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
xblahblahx

I don't think any of us care about this game seeing as the NCAA makes us suffer through dealing with mid-majors by leaving them in Div I football despite any efforts to properly fund the sport...though it would be nice to see Dayton win because that ends any hope of San Diego making the playoffs...xthumbsupx

What does funding have to do with anything? SHSU at 3-4 is really getting its money worth aren't they? You should fire the staff and pull all the scholarships because you are wasting your money. Do they have a business school at SHSU or do they simply throw money out the window? Not a very good business down there in Texas on your investment.....

What a lame argument. If money and funding were the sole factors in successful athletics we wouldn't play games but rather go by funding or payroll to determine the champions in sports. The team with the highest payroll or athletic budget should be crowned champions at the start of each fiscal year.....xnonox

I'm making my New York Yankees 2008 World Series Championship t-shirt right now.....

Wow........xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
October 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Well said! TT's comments are way out of line.... Frankly, I expect better from him. He must be having troubles in his personal life, not the least of which is his team losing.... The Flyers, by the way are 7-1 coming into this game with perhaps the best OOC win in the PFL this year over the 4-0, (PL), Fordham Rams. Dayton will have to play a perfect game to have a prayer. Not impossible, but the odds of a UD victory are long....

BobbyMo
October 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think DetroitFlyer is right. Dayton, is a good team I saw personally this year. San Diego, is just head and shoulders better than the rest of the PFL an probably all of the NEC. The only NEC team that might be able to hang with San Diego is Albany, who i have not seen yet this year.

I think San Diego will beat Dayton pretty easily, no slight on UD, just think San Diego is outstanding. I just hope they can run the table and get a shot at the playoffs.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm against teams like the Yankees...

The fact is we have non-scholarship teams that should not be in Division I. They should be in Division III with the rest of the non-scholarship teams. The NCAA just can not put them there due to unfair advantages (though apparently not all schools have unfair advantages -- see LaSalle).

I'm not one to say that a non-scholarship team could beat a full-scholarship team at the FCS level -- it's happened, just like an FCS team has beat an FBS team (eight times this year).

The great thing about FCS is that we compete for a national title. Schools like those in the Pioneer League, in all reality, have not and will not compete for the national title (the 'Old Guard' has not allowed that). Same goes for the SWAC (they've ultimately made it impossible for their teams to do so), the MAAC and the Ivy League (their own decision).

The NCAA dealt a bad hand here and it's good they are spending the next four years figuring out how to handle things.

footballfan11
October 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM
This cold be a battle of sum high powered offenses and the USD team should be up to play dayton, as they have respect for Dayton's program. Dayton seems to be back as their win over Fordham is looking better every week Fordham continues to win. However, i think USD seems to be a focused team and they should win this game pretty convincgly.

Syntax Error
October 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Well said! TT's comments are way out of line.... Frankly, I expect better from him. ...xnodx I wonder how USD would do against SHSU? xnonox

ereiz03
October 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Texas Terror- If you don't care about Dayton/USD then don't read the thread.

Bit anyways, I believe that Dayton is a pretty good team, but USD is just much better than the non-schollies out there. I would be pretty surprised if San Diego wins the game by less than 2 TD's.

USD- 45
Dayton- 21

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
What does funding have to do with anything? SHSU at 3-4 is really getting its money worth aren't they? You should fire the staff and pull all the scholarships because you are wasting your money. Do they have a business school at SHSU or do they simply throw money out the window? Not a very good business down there in Texas on your investment.....

What a lame argument. If money and funding were the sole factors in successful athletics we wouldn't play games but rather go by funding or payroll to determine the champions in sports. The team with the highest payroll or athletic budget should be crowned champions at the start of each fiscal year.....xnonox

I'm making my New York Yankees 2008 World Series Championship t-shirt right now.....

Wow........xcoffeex

He didnt say funding was the SOLE factor. When you defend your Torrerros you are very defensive and often like to put words in peoples mouths. Funding is obviously not the SOLE factor, but a team that isnt properly funded is at a very big disadvantage to teams that are and USUALLY the funded teams are worse than the non funded ones. Not always, but a majority of the time.

I hope Dayton wins. Then not only is San Diego out of the playoff picture, they would be out of the Gridiron Classic!

MiamiTorero
October 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
He didnt say funding was the SOLE factor. When you defend your Torrerros you are very defensive and often like to put words in peoples mouths. Funding is obviously not the SOLE factor, but a team that isnt properly funded is at a very big disadvantage to teams that are and USUALLY the funded teams are worse than the non funded ones. Not always, but a majority of the time.

I hope Dayton wins. Then not only is San Diego out of the playoff picture, they would be out of the Gridiron Classic!

Whenever you have haters like joecool it obviously means your team is doing something right. The only people that like dominant teams are their own fans. USD would destroy a number of FCS scholarship teams and would play very competitive among most. Now you are saying we should be D3 yet play a harder schedule. Yeah a lot of you make so much sense. I am not saying we would win an FCS National Championship but I am saying USD is better than most FCS schools that are not in the top 25 and some that are(i.e. Yale). What makes no sense to me is you are saying Non schollie schools should drop to D3... so then you're saying the Ivy and Patriot League's should too? Most of you are so anti-USD you will say anything no matter how dumb it is. Ohh and with the talent USD gets being non schollie you all should get down on your knees and thank God that they do not give schollies because then you would have to send us in to the playoffs something you all never want to do.

pantherfan
October 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
Whenever you have haters like joecool it obviously means your team is doing something right. The only people that like dominant teams are their own fans. USD would destroy a number of FCS scholarship teams and would play very competitive among most. Now you are saying we should be D3 yet play a harder schedule. Yeah a lot of you make so much sense. I am not saying we would win an FCS National Championship but I am saying USD is better than most FCS schools that are not in the top 25 and some that are(i.e. Yale). What makes no sense to me is you are saying Non schollie schools should drop to D3... so then you're saying the Ivy and Patriot League's should too? Most of you are so anti-USD you will say anything no matter how dumb it is. Ohh and with the talent USD gets being non schollie you all should get down on your knees and thank God that they do not give schollies because then you would have to send us in to the playoffs something you all never want to do.

If you had scholarships and played scholarship football against scholarship teams, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you making the playoffs as your last sentence would indicate. The fact of the matter is that San Diego is not one of the 8 best At-Large candidates, in fact USD is not even CLOSE in talent to the 8 best At-Large candidates. Anyone who says/thinks that USD is on the level of SIU, Wofford, ASU, UNH, Delaware, JMU, Richmond, Hofstra, Elon, GA. Southern, etc. (all at-large contenders) is full of it. And no, I'm not a "USD hater" as many of you Torrero fans like to say about anyone who thinks USD is overhyped; I'm a realist.xcoffeex

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
In BT it's #20 San Diego at #29 Dayton

xbeerchugx Here's to the second tier (mid-major) teams!

We need new blood to win the mid-major title. Go Flyers!

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM

I didnt say that you should go to D3. Again, putting words in my mouth. And even WITHOUT schollies I think you could be a playoff worthy team. San Diego is the exception to the rule though, most non schollies are a good level below most schollies.

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM
If you had scholarships and played scholarship football against scholarship teams, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you making the playoffs ...

Stony Brook is a prime example of bush league in your comments. Teams are skirting the requirements and the NCAA is to blame for having loopholes.

Everyone thinks Stony Brook is beyond mid-major status. The fact is their players have no meat on their bones or the players are fat and/or short. F 'um if they give out scholarships to existing players that should not even be there. xcoffeex

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
First of all I never asked anyone if they gave a bleep about the game. Frankly, I could give a bleep what texas terror or some of you think. It is apparent that most are so ignorant about the subject that it makes my head spin. I am tired of defending my side in regards to how good some non scholly teams are. Some things never change so those people are to be ignored.xblahblahx xsplatx

Getting back to the correct topic, I agree that USD appears to be way above anyone in the PFL. I do think they are beatable and if anyone on the remainder of the schedule is going to do it I would pick UD. But, Dayton better be on their a game bc if not it will be a long night.

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
and oh ya, if I was not a UD fan there is no way I would be selecting UD to win.

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM
In BT it's #20 San Diego at #29 Dayton

xbeerchugx Here's to the second tier (mid-major) teams!

We need new blood to win the mid-major title. Go Flyers!

Here is to the second tier (all 1AA) teams.xbeerchugx What a joke, u act like your team is University of Florida. Thanks for the love though.

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Here is to the second tier (all 1AA) teams.xbeerchugx What a joke, u act like your team is University of Florida. Thanks for the love though.

If you had seen Richmond play Stony Brook in person I would have no doubt you would agree with everything I have to say on this subject matter -- NEC/MAAC/PFL (and independent Stony Brook) do not belong at this level.

I fault the NCAA for this erosion. I don't blame you personally or your school reps because they found a loophole and went for it.

I see nothing wrong with a school having D1 basketball, D3 football, D2 men's soccer, etc. In other words a mix of sports classifications.

Someone else typed some crap that a school should be in the same classification for all sports because it sounds nice. BS

I have no doubt the winner of the San Diego/Dayton matchup will shutout the NEC rep in the mid-major classic.

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
xnodx I wonder how USD would do against SHSU? xnonox

I wonder how SHSU would do against San Diego! xnonox

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM

Re-read his post. That was his sole point of that post....xreadx

touchdown
October 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Not so fast! the gridiron classic still has a few other teams that could put a damper on it (Morehead and Drake could be spoilers)

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
If you had seen Richmond play Stony Brook in person I would have no doubt you would agree with everything I have to say on this subject matter -- NEC/MAAC/PFL (and independent Stony Brook) do not belong at this level.

I fault the NCAA for this erosion. I don't blame you personally or your school reps because they found a loophole and went for it.

I see nothing wrong with a school having D1 basketball, D3 football, D2 men's soccer, etc. In other words a mix of sports classifications.

Someone else typed some crap that a school should be in the same classification for all sports because it sounds nice. BS

I have no doubt the winner of the San Diego/Dayton matchup will shutout the NEC rep in the mid-major classic.

FCS is a loophole that some of your schools have found....if you can't fund 85 full scholarships and have a real budget you should be DIII football.....

See the hypocrisy there??????? xnonox

Model Citizen
October 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
There's a school called Sam Houston? I didn't know.

I thought Mr. Terror was a USD fan, with all those posts on Torero football.

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
There's a school called Sam Houston? I didn't know.

I thought Mr. Terror was a USD fan, with all those posts on Torero football.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
FCS is a loophole that some of your schools have found....if you can't fund 85 full scholarships and have a real budget you should be DIII football.....

See the hypocrisy there??????? xnonox

Not following you. Please explain...and soon before Family Guy comes on. xcoffeex

BobbyMo
October 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM

lol @ Goobs

blukeys
October 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM

Miami you are obviously worked up on this subject and unable to keep some very distinct and different topics separated in your mind on this subject.

First, Texas Terror's reference to true non-scollies playing D-3 is in reference to the historic reality. For years schools that offered no true financial assistance for athletic participation in a sport competed in D-3. This gave them access to a playoff system that had all of the football programs competing on an equal basis. Schools such as Drake and Dayton were not only dominant in football but in the case of Dayton were multiple national Champions in D-3.

The rub was that both of these schools played D-1 basketball. The D-3 Schools who did not compete in D-1 basketball whined and moaned like babies that schools such as Dayton and Drake were getting an unfair advantage from their basketball Participation and lobbied the NCAA for a rule change that required that a school that participated in D-1 in certain key sports must participate in D-1 in all sports. Schools such as Dayton, who was one of the truly successful truly non-scolly D-3 programs, were kicked into D-1 football (of course they could also just drop football) paving the way for the Mount Union dynasty.

Second, those who are skeptical of the non stop badgering on this board by USD fans about the unfairness of not being invited to the playoffs, have simply stated that in their view the biggest hindrance to playoff consideration for USD is their incredibly weak schedule.

Your post also reveals ignorance of the true state of affairs regarding the funding of athletes at both Ivy League and Patriot League schools. Both offer the equivalent of scholarships (thus the term equivalency). While there are differences between an athletic scholarship and a "Grant In Aid" offered by the PL and Ivies it is a very small difference. It is a difference that would prohibit either of these leagues from competing at the D-3 level.

Your point that USD can beat some scollie teams is well understood. There are some very bad Scolly teams such as N. Colorado.

MiamiTorero
October 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
joecool- You are right I did not mean it as you personally I meant it towards all the other anti non schollie teams that think we should all drop to Division 3 football. I correct myself and I do appreciate that you do realize USD is a head above the rest of non schollie. As for USD being overhyped said by someone else... what do you want the players on the USD team to do? They have no control over who USD schedules and we have only lost 2 games in the last 31 or 32 or whatever the numbers are. We have beaten the NEC champ who last year was supposed to be better and are going to do this year. The players do all they can to make their case it is not their fault that the athletic program does not do their part and I hate saying this because it has been said over and over again. Anyways Dayton keep dreaming about your major upset because it will not happen and USD will once again be winners of the Gridiron Classic. And if the playoffs dodge us again then another great season for USD.

MiamiTorero
October 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Miami you are obviously worked up on this subject and unable to keep some very distinct and different topics separated in your mind on this subject.

First, Texas Terror's reference to true non-scollies playing D-3 is in reference to the historic reality. For years schools that offered no true financial assistance for athletic participation in a sport competed in D-3. This gave them access to a playoff system that had all of the football programs competing on an equal basis. Schools such as Drake and Dayton were not only dominant in football but in the case of Dayton were multiple national Champions in D-3.

The rub was that both of these schools played D-1 basketball. The D-3 Schools who did not compete in D-1 basketball whined and moaned like babies that schools such as Dayton and Drake were getting an unfair advantage from their basketball Participation and lobbied the NCAA for a rule change that required that a school that participated in D-1 in certain key sports must participate in D-1 in all sports. Schools such as Dayton, who was one of the truly successful truly non-scolly D-3 programs, were kicked into D-1 football (of course they could also just drop football) paving the way for the Mount Union dynasty.

Second, those who are skeptical of the non stop badgering on this board by USD fans about the unfairness of not being invited to the playoffs, have simply stated that in their view the biggest hindrance to playoff consideration for USD is their incredibly weak schedule.

Your post also reveals ignorance of the true state of affairs regarding the funding of athletes at both Ivy League and Patriot League schools. Both offer the equivalent of scholarships (thus the term equivalency). While there are differences between an athletic scholarship and a "Grant In Aid" offered by the PL and Ivies it is a very small difference. It is a difference that would prohibit either of these leagues from competing at the D-3 level.

Your point that USD can beat some scollie teams is well understood. There are some very bad Scolly teams such as N. Colorado.

Once you said the words "historic reality" I stopped reading your post. That is like me saying the Miami Dolphins(my NFL team) is great because the historic reality is they are the only team to ever go undefeated. LOL please do not refer to history this is the now. A lot of things happen now that have never happened in the past just ask App State and Michigan.

danefan
October 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Stony Brook is a prime example of bush league in your comments. Teams are skirting the requirements and the NCAA is to blame for having loopholes.

Everyone thinks Stony Brook is beyond mid-major status. The fact is their players have no meat on their bones or the players are fat and/or short. F 'um if they give out scholarships to existing players that should not even be there. xcoffeex

But then they go out and beat a team from your conference? xcoffeex

Interesting.....ok I'm finished with you....back to the ignore list you go.

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Until 1978 football was like every other sport in the NCAA. It was organized into three divisions.

Division III for schools not wishing to award athletic aid.
Division II for schools wishing to award aid but at a low cost level and offering few sports.
Division I for schools with broad based athletic programs (read lots of sports) willing to offer a lot of scholies.

The NCAA had a contract with ABC (and later others) for football (it was THE cash cow for the NCAA). Schools were limited in number of national appearances (5 in two years) and every conference was guaranteed at least one regional appearance every two years. Revenue went into two pools. Pool one was to the televised schools per appearance. Pool two was divided among all Division I schools.

In 1978 Division I was divided into I-A and I-AA. To be I-A you had to either offer a broad based program (ie. 12 sports) or meet minimum attendance requirements. The attendance requirement was there to "save" well supported football programs at schools that didn't have 12 sports.

I-AA was actually a nice compromise for the time. There were over 180 schools playing Division I football at the time. There were only 13 bowl games at the time. Unless you were a member of the Big 8 (Orange), Big 10(Rose), Pac-10(Rose), SWC(Cotton), SEC(Sugar), WAC(Fiesta, then in 1978 Holiday), or Southland (Independence) conferences you were not guaranteed access to a bowl. Division I leagues like the SWAC, MEAC, Big Sky, Ivy, Missouri Valley, PCAA (Big West), MAC, Southern, Ohio Valley, and Yankee (A-10) you were very unlikely to send a team to post-season.

I-AA offered a playoff for those schools. Scholarships were capped at 75 compared to 100 (later 95) for I-A. Many of the Division I leagues already had scholarship caps ranging from 0 in Ivy to 85 in the MAC, MoValley, etc.

Many leagues opted to remain I-A (notably MoValley, Southland, Southern, Yankee, Ivy)

The bigger schools chaffed at sharing the pot of gold (ABC-TV) with over 1. At the end of the 1981 season they eliminated the sport sponsorship element, making it purely attendance based. That knocked I-A down to right at 100. A year later the rest of the MAC got it's house in order (with help from a lawsuit to enjoin enforcement against them) and I-A was at 105 members.

The new I-AA schools were made the following promises.
1) They would have access to television through the ABC contract but would only be paid based on appearances instead of sharing the big check and would be guaranteed a minimum number of regional appearances.
2) They would be able to continue to schedule I-A schools.
3) I-AA would be a division for schools wanting to play high scholarship football.
4) They would have access to a playoff.

Promise #1 was broken in 1983 thanks to the United States Supreme Court striking down the NCAA football television contract. The NCAA was out of the TV business and I-AA was guaranteed one tv appearance, that being the title game and then in most years only because televising the game was made a requirement for bidding on the NCAA basketball tournament.

Promise #2 was when a new rule was adopted for 1989. I-A schools could no longer count a win over a I-AA toward bowl eligibility. From 1981 to 1988 two schools had moved to I-A (not counting the MAC schools that yo-yo'd into I-AA for one year). One was Akron, who had their eyes on MAC membership. The other was La.Tech who made their move partly in response to the proposed legislation. Once the rule was adopted two more schools dashed up, Nevada and Arkansas State, two schools that traditionally relied on playing at least one regional I-A school every year and found those games in danger. After that the dash was on.

Promise #3 was broken when Division III tired of having to recruit against Division I schools like Dayton and Georgetown that played Division I in all sports except football and played Division III football. Shortly after Dayton won national title #2 in 1989 the push was on to get them out of Division III. A couple western schools were playing Division II football. At the request of Division III, the NCAA adopted a new rule requiring football be played in the same division as basketball and in turn nearly forty schools were pushed out of Division II and Division III (mostly III) and into I-AA (including UAB who opted to go on to I-A). Nearly one-third of Division I-A was now non-scholarship programs.

While Promise #4 was kept it was dimished a bit while the SWAC and MEAC pulled out of the playoffs to participate in their own game, the Heritage Bowl. The MEAC has since returned to participation in the playoffs.

The sad fact is that the reasons for creating I-AA initially are gone.
-We no longer have 13 bowl games for 180 schools, we have 28 and potentially 31, for 117 soon to be 119 schools.
-There is no shared revenue from a national TV contract. Each league cuts its own deal.
-I-AA is no longer the exclusive preserve of high scholarship football one-third of the schools are strongly limited in the aid they can give and another handful are like Tenn-Martin, Richmond, Prarie View (and until a few years ago Western Ky) that are in high scholie leagues but awarding well under the limit.
-The schools are still impaired in their ability to schedule I-A schools, both because only one game in four years can count toward a bowl and because now the smaller I-A's must schedule five I-A home games and no longer have a spot available to schedule them.

There may yet be a purpose for I-AA, but as a home for high scholarship football it is an abject failure.xpeacex

danefan
October 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
xblahblahx

TT...have you ever seen San Diego play? Or any other of the top NEC or PFL teams?

I'm just asking, because making an assumption of the quality of football without any personal knowledge is a pretty foolish point of view. I've never seen SHSU play. I don't know how good they are. Exactly why I haven't commented on the quality of football they play.xcoffeex

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Texas Terror is just one silly girl. She knows nothing and it is obvious.

DetroitFlyer
October 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM

Another Delaware, know it all genius.... NOT!!!!! The Ivy League offers ZERO scholarships and ZERO scholarship equivalencies. From an aid perspective, according to the NCAA, there is ZERO difference between the Ivy League, the PFL or the MAAC.

The Patriot League offers "need based aid" that is counted as scholarship equivalents. The exact amount seems to be a secret, but the top funded teams, including Fordham are thought to be in the 50 to 55 scholarship equivalent range, but below the FBS counter minimum of 57. Whatever the number, it did not prevent the current PL leader, Fordham, from losing to Dayton of the PFL on their home field.

Any of you so called football brains that do not think that teams in the PFL play FCS level football have your heads in the sand. It seems especially bad at that other "UD"!

Yeah, Drake can knock off ISU, at ISU, but they do not play FCS level football. Just who is it that ISU beat this past weekend brains? I'm waiting.... Davidson knocks off Drake, but we all know that Davidson cannot play FCS level football.... Dayton knocks off Fordham, at Fordham.... Wait, that must be a mistake, no way Dayton can play FCS level football. Montana hammers Northern Colorado and the FCS writers view it positively, while USD hammers Norhtern Colorado and all you brains say they are one of the worst teams in FCS.

There are just too many FBS wannabees here. PLEASE, pony up the extra 22 scholarship, bribe your small followings to bring their sisters and cousins so you can hit the 15K mark for attendance and move on!

pantherfan
October 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
joecool- You are right I did not mean it as you personally I meant it towards all the other anti non schollie teams that think we should all drop to Division 3 football. I correct myself and I do appreciate that you do realize USD is a head above the rest of non schollie. As for USD being overhyped said by someone else... what do you want the players on the USD team to do? They have no control over who USD schedules and we have only lost 2 games in the last 31 or 32 or whatever the numbers are. We have beaten the NEC champ who last year was supposed to be better and are going to do this year. The players do all they can to make their case it is not their fault that the athletic program does not do their part and I hate saying this because it has been said over and over again. Anyways Dayton keep dreaming about your major upset because it will not happen and USD will once again be winners of the Gridiron Classic. And if the playoffs dodge us again then another great season for USD.

The playoffs haven't dodged USD. USD is not close to one of the top 8 At-Large candidates. That is the reason USD will not be in the playoffs. No conspiracy there. xreadx xthumbsupx

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
Another Delaware, know it all genius.... NOT!!!!! The Ivy League offers ZERO scholarships and ZERO scholarship equivalencies. From an aid perspective, according to the NCAA, there is ZERO difference between the Ivy League, the PFL or the MAAC.

The Patriot League offers "need based aid" that is counted as scholarship equivalents. The exact amount seems to be a secret, but the top funded teams, including Fordham are thought to be in the 50 to 55 scholarship equivalent range, but below the FBS counter minimum of 57. Whatever the number, it did not prevent the current PL leader, Fordham, from losing to Dayton of the PFL on their home field.

Any of you so called football brains that do not think that teams in the PFL play FCS level football have your heads in the sand. It seems especially bad at that other "UD"!

Yeah, Drake can knock off ISU, at ISU, but they do not play FCS level football. Just who is it that ISU beat this past weekend brains? I'm waiting.... Davidson knocks off Drake, but we all know that Davidson cannot play FCS level football.... Dayton knocks off Fordham, at Fordham.... Wait, that must be a mistake, no way Dayton can play FCS level football. Montana hammers Northern Colorado and the FCS writers view it positively, while USD hammers Norhtern Colorado and all you brains say they are one of the worst teams in FCS.

There are just too many FBS wannabees here. PLEASE, pony up the extra 22 scholarship, bribe your small followings to bring their sisters and cousins so you can hit the 15K mark for attendance and move on!

Post of the year! xthumbsupx

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
But then they go out and beat a team from your conference? xcoffeex

Interesting.....ok I'm finished with you....back to the ignore list you go.

The fans deserve better.

We don't want to see some small dork team knock off a lower level full-blown team once every 10 meetings or so for $22 a head.

I haven't seen Maine this year. Maybe they have skinny players this year too with a few short fatsos at offensive tackle starting like Stony Brook (and Albany?)

The foundation for classifications is for entertainment value and maintaining a sense of parity and player safety. It's ridiculous you northeasterners pull for something that is not for the good of the whole.

You might as well throw a bunch of pieces of paper in the air with each team's name on it to detemine who is FCS, D2, and D3.

Your mindset, Dane96, has ruined the enjoyment of NCAA football. You got your way by lobbying the NCAA and it sucks. xcoffeex

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
The fans deserve better.

We don't want to see some small dork team knock off a lower level full-blown team once every 10 meetings or so for $22 a head.

I haven't seen Maine this year. Maybe they have skinny players this year too with a few short fatsos at offensive tackle starting.

The foundation for classifications is for entertainment value and maintaining a sense of parity and player safety. It's ridiculous you northeasterners pull for something that is not for the good of the whole.

You might as well throw a bunch of pieces of paper in the air with each team's name on it to detemine who is FCS, D2, and D3.

Your mindset, Dane96, has ruined the enjoyment of NCAA football. You got your way by lobbying the NCAA and it sucks. xcoffeex

With your reasoning FCS teams shouldn't be allowed to play FBS teams because it is unsafe! Obviously, most of us realize that is flawed logic. You however have blinders on - you really are looking more and more foolish with each post. Keep digging and soon you will be in China! xcoffeex

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
With your reasoning FCS teams shouldn't be allowed to play FBS teams because it is unsafe! Obviously, most of us realize that is flawed logic. You however have blinders on - you really are looking more and more foolish with each post. Keep digging and soon you will be in China! xcoffeex

I'm suppose to believe you and Dane96 instead of my own eyes?! Go smoke a joint on your time, not mine. xcoffeex

PeacockRaider
October 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
For the past couple of years reading this forum I have never responded to a San Diego post. However, it is funny how many SD haters their are, and I don't know why people hate on the San Diego fans supporting their team and lobbying for a playoff bid. I have no connection to SD what so ever, but I think they have been a top 16 team for the past two years, if they run the table they belong in the playoffs. Hell they destroyed Yale last year in the Yale Bowl and still got no respect. Do I think they can win a NC? No, but most teams in the playoffs are a long shot. Fact is SD will be better than 3 of the AQ this year. Just my opinion

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
xnonox
I'm suppose to believe you and Dane96 instead of my own eyes?! Go smoke a joint on your time, not mine. xcoffeex

Go smoke a joint? xlolx It appears you are the one who has been smoking joints. I haven't seen one post saying your rankings are even worth looking at - they are a complete joke - I could list the threads where others have called you out on those. You are the perfect example of how the internet has warped our society. The ability to post a blog or similar does not make you an expert or part of the media. Go ahead and keep posting because you are doing a great job on discrediting yourself!

:pumpuke:

danefan
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Haha. Did Dane96 post in this thread?

Stang Fever
October 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
I am starting to bend a little bit on my stance on USD making the playoffs. I just believe thats playing a weak schedule should not get you in. But I do have to take notice that givent he fact that they play teams that are equal to them in budge and facilities etc. THEY do dominate ALL of them. They arent even close.

Stang Fever
October 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
So a point can be made that, even though most teams in FCS (the good teams) would blow these teams out as well and put up large numbers. It should be noted that they BLOW these teams out just like everyone else would. So they just might be a top 16 team. if and win they blow out UC Davis I will not mind that they get into the playoffs Playing Montana or UNI

danefan
October 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Just to be clear....I don't think San Diego will make the playoffs. I think they're schedule will keep them out. That is not a knock on the team b/c I haven't seen them play this year.

I just don't think all the talk of San Diego, PFL and other teams suck because they're non-scholly, or limited scholly, or whatever, is necessary.

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Just to be clear....I don't think San Diego will make the playoffs. I think they're schedule will keep them out. That is not a knock on the team b/c I haven't seen them play this year.

I just don't think all the talk of San Diego, PFL and other teams suck because they're non-scholly, or limited scholly, or whatever, is necessary.

I agree with everything you said!xthumbsupx

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
The fans deserve better.

I haven't seen Maine this year. Maybe they have skinny players this year too with a few short fatsos at offensive tackle starting like Stony Brook (and Albany?)

YOU MUST BE ON DRUGS

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
The PFL, NEC, PL, ect. are like the MAC and Mountain West and Sun Belt of FCS. They can be as good as the bigger conferences, and sometimes a few teams are, but usually they cant compete. Every year about one team comes out of those conferneces thats solid in the FBS and thats the same here.

flyenhigh
October 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Actually, you have a point although it is slightly flawed. The fact is PFL, Patriot and the IVY are very similar with the caliber of teams.

Dane96
October 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM

The problem with your posts are a lack of reality-- If you think the IVY's refrain from finding $$$ for 90% of the kids...you are nuts. Yes, they are not called scholarships (or even grant-in-aids) but those kids are getting rides.

Dane96
October 21st, 2007, 11:46 PM
The fans deserve better.

Ummmmm....last I looked...I did not post on this thread, but for Detroit Flyer up to 2 seconds ago.

IT WAS DANEFAN...FOOL!

Dane96
October 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM
Haha. Did Dane96 post in this thread?

Clearly, BOOGS had is finger in his arse as he was smoking his joint.

BTW BOOGS, as far as size goes...why dont you ask UA's opponents about our SIZE.

You do realize we have one of the biggest offensive and defensive lines in FCS...and that Stony Brook's size wasnt far off.

You do realize that our O-Line averages about 6'4 and 305...right?

Boogs
October 22nd, 2007, 04:47 AM

BTW BOOGS, as far as size goes...why dont you ask UA's opponents about our SIZE.

You do realize we have one of the biggest offensive and defensive lines in FCS...and that Stony Brook's size wasnt far off.

Richmond had fit-and-trim players. Stony Brook had the obese variety. You'd have to be there in person to see that. Something like that cannot be derived from a game program or online.

I know better now not to go by what you say. I got my own eyes.

You like to deceive people. xcoffeex

I went on your ignore list? You went on my liar list. If I want to know how much of that weight Albany has on their offensive line is lean muscle mass, I'll have to see it myself in person and not go by what you say.

DetroitFlyer
October 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
As I said, the Ivy League, ACCORDING TO THE NCAA, provides EXACTLY the same type of aid as the PFL and the MAAC. That FACT cannot be disputed!

You can certainly make the argument that the Ivy League is able to provide more aid than the PFL and MAAC due to their virtually unlimited financial resources, but according to the NCAA it is exactly the same.... Ivy League games cannot be counted towards FBS bowl games, same as the PFL and MAAC, ( and much of if not all of the PL by the way ).

The PFL recruits against the Ivy and the PL and wins a few of the battles. I know of two UD freshman that chose UD over the Ivy League and the PL in the most recent recruiting class!

Do some research Dane before you try to hammer me! One of the reasons cited by the Ivy League for not wishing to participate in the playoffs is that they fear it will lead to an escalation in the size level and talent level of players.... ( And pressure to reduce admission standards ). So, in their eyes, they are not on a par with the Gateway, CAA, etc. Again, you may choose to not believe this and think it is just an excuse, but that is what I have read on the subject.

Grounded in reality.... Please....

Stang Fever
October 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
As I said, the Ivy League, ACCORDING TO THE NCAA, provides EXACTLY the same type of aid as the PFL and the MAAC. That FACT cannot be disputed!

You can certainly make the argument that the Ivy League is able to provide more aid than the PFL and MAAC due to their virtually unlimited financial resources, but according to the NCAA it is exactly the same.... Ivy League games cannot be counted towards FBS bowl games, same as the PFL and MAAC, ( and much of if not all of the PL by the way ).

The PFL recruits against the Ivy and the PL and wins a few of the battles. I know of two UD freshman that chose UD over the Ivy League and the PL in the most recent recruiting class!

Do some research Dane before you try to hammer me! One of the reasons cited by the Ivy League for not wishing to participate in the playoffs is that they fear it will lead to an escalation in the size level and talent level of players.... ( And pressure to reduce admission standards ). So, in their eyes, they are not on a par with the Gateway, CAA, etc. Again, you may choose to not believe this and think it is just an excuse, but that is what I have read on the subject.

Grounded in reality.... Please....

Good Post

blukeys
October 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
The problem with your posts are a lack of reality-- If you think the IVY's refrain from finding $$$ for 90% of the kids...you are nuts. Yes, they are not called scholarships (or even grant-in-aids) but those kids are getting rides.

Dane you are right on. Football players in the Ivy League get financial assistance although they have to fill out a financial aid form just like the PL.
Detroit flyer has avoided reality since he joined this board.

Whatever the name, the financial aid to football and basketball players in the Ivy League is virtually identical to the Patriot League. This is why the Ivy league must also offer rides in Women's sports. Their equivlencies count against title IX. The academic index for both conferences is also virtually identical.

It is quite possible the Ivies do not meet the FBS minimum of 50+equivalencies for a FBS team to schedule them but I don't see the Ivies scheduling FBS teams anyway. They want to pretend they are the only teams playing football in the U.S.

For a real education on financial aid to sports teams one only need to check out the Penn basketball teams.

Model Citizen
October 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
There are no equivalencies in the Ivy League, period. I can't believe the bovine stupidity on this board.

flyenhigh
October 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
This is a fact----IVY League players do not get any aid for Football nor do they slide by giving fake scholarships away. Just ask an IVY league player.

Boogs
October 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
There are no equivalencies in the Ivy League, period. I can't believe the bovine stupidity on this board.

Then why does Don Hansen and the Sports Network exclude the Ivy from their mid-major rankings?

BlueHen86
October 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ummmmm....last I looked...I did not post on this thread, but for Detroit Flyer up to 2 seconds ago.

IT WAS DANEFAN...FOOL!

That is hysterical. He doesn't even know who he is responding to.xlolx
I guess all you Dane's look alike to him.

Maverick
October 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Is that the same Ivy League a few years ago that punished a member school for over-awarded aid to athletes? Maybe instead of talking to players you should talk to coaches in that league (or those who have coached in the league) who have a very different look at the "aid packages" that don't count towards the NCAA categories, but do toward Title IX. Only in the Ivy League is the aid controlled locally and received by student-athletes not considered based on athletic ability as it is at non-Ivy schools. Coaches and administrators who have worked in college athletics have a vastly different take on the "non-scholly" Ivy league. So don't piss down my back and tell me it is raining. I ain't drinking the Ivy League kool-aid. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Boogs
October 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
That is hysterical. He doesn't even know who he is responding to.xlolx
I guess all you Dane's look alike to him.

Hey, you see one Dane they all look the same. xsmiley_wix

I'm not going back to figure out who said what. It's just a message board for layin' some smack. Give both danes credit. They probably deserve it.

USDFAN_55
October 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Size doesn't mean anything if they can't movexnodx I think we've all seen small linemen dominate much larger ones. I've known a lot of big guys that weren't worth crap. I guess my question would be is can your hogs move?

Boogs
October 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I think we've all seen small linemen dominate much larger ones.

If you mean fit-and-trim athletes with flat stomachs that dominate huge fat guys, then I would agree with you.

Maverick
October 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
To understand Boogs concept of reality, check out the system that he is touting. Now that is an "alternate" reality when it comes to FCS football. Add to that his failure to understand that for the NCAA schools, membership in D-I is based on the revenue generated for those schools and conferences that are eligible to participate in the hoops tournament. As pointed out earlier, when the NCAA lost control of the TV contract and the conferences stepped in and took over the football TV money as far as the NCAA lost a major bit of leverage. There are some who contend that the NCAA will never see an FBS level playoff as it would move too much football money away from the schools and conferences since the NCAA would be able to negotiate the contract for the football playoffs as they do for the tournament. All the NCAA FBS football schools would have to do is take the FBS schools and form a new national governing body for college athletics and the impact on the NCAA/CBS contract with those schools gone could possibly be voided and then the new governing body would have the more attractive FB and BB product to negotiate a college athletics contract. Without the FBS schools what would the NCAA have? FCS, D-II, and D-III how much of a demand would there be for that?

BlueHen86
October 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hey, you see one Dane they all look the same. xsmiley_wix

I'm not going back to figure out who said what. It's just a message board for layin' some smack. Give both danes credit. They probably deserve it.

If your going to take the time to respond to a post you should take the time to see who you are responding to.
You owe Dane96 an apology.xnodx

Then you can apologize to the rest of us for that ranking system you are touting.:p;)

flyenhigh
October 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Very Interesting (Originally found by DetroitFlyer):

OK PFL fans, check out this prediction for the Game of the Year Part II:

http://www.footballgameplan.com/fcs-division-i-aa-predictions

flyenhigh
October 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I pulled this article from DaytonFlyers.com. I am interested to see how many fans show up to the game. Usually parents weekend draws the largest crowd for UD. Sometimes doubling the normal crowd. I can feel the excitement, lets get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xshakingmadx

#2 DAYTON HOSTS #1 SAN DIEGO SATURDAYAT 1 PM EDT
Flyers And Toreros Square Off In Front Of Parent's Weekend Crowd

Only three coaches have a better winning percentage (min. 25 years as a head coach) than Dayton's Mike Kelly.

Oct. 24, 2007

It's the scenario kids playing in the backyard pretend they are in, and the situation current Flyer and Torero players expected to be in when they decided to play college football. First place in the Pioneer Football League will be up for grabs when #1-ranked San Diego visits #2-ranked Dayton on Saturday. Game time at Welcome Stadium is 1 p.m. Fans can follow the action between UD (7-1, 3-1 PFL) and USD (7-0, 4-0 PFL) with live video, live audio and live stats at www.DaytonFlyers.com.

San Diego is not only first in the PFL, a half-game ahead of Dayton and Morehead State, but also ranked first in the Sports Network, Football Gazette and CollegeSportsReport.com rankings. Right behind in all three ratings are the Dayton Flyers. The only two non-scholarship teams receiving votes in the Football Coaches FCS poll are USD and UD. San Diego is 24th, and UD is 37th.

The game will be an interesting clash of statistics. San Diego leads the PFL (and FCS football) in scoring (49.6) and total offense (499.1), while the Flyers lead the league in scoring defense (15.4) and total defense (275.4). UD leads the PFL (and FCS football) in sacks (4.5), while San Diego has allowed the fewest sacks (6, tied with Davidson) and lowest sack yardage (37) in the PFL.

The Toreros have won the last two PFL titles and the last two Mid-Major national championships. Senior QB Josh Johnson is the team's headliner. Last year's PFL Offensive Player of the Year, he is tops in FCS football in passing efficiency (225.44) and total offense (382.8). Senior defensive end Eric Bakhtiari was the PFL Co-Defensive of the Player of the Year in 2006, and he currently leads FCS in sacks (1.93 per game). While Johnson and Bakhtiari are the first among the USD returnees, San Diego is coached by first-year coach Ron Caragher, who came to USD from the University of Kentucky.

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Very Interesting (Originally found by DetroitFlyer):

OK PFL fans, check out this prediction for the Game of the Year Part II:

http://www.footballgameplan.com/fcs-division-i-aa-predictions

Not much credibility in this guys prediction. He states "I just think Dayton’s defense will come to play and put an end to the 2-game losing streak to the Toreros. Prediction: Dayton 28 – San Diego 24
"

Last time I checked it is a 4 game streak.

DetroitFlyer
October 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Details, details.... Yeah, it is four games.... Still, I like his general, overall theme. Frankly, I think both teams will score more points than this.... I am very interested to see how the Flyer defense responds to the USD offense. UD has obviously, ( #5 in FCS ), played some good defense, much better than last year, but we also let ourselves get torched by Brian Yost of Morehead State.... A decent QB, but not anywhere close to JJ's level.

USD just has so many weapons on offense.... JJ, Rogan, Doyle, and the list goes on.... Tough to be a defensive coordinator preparing to play USD. Dayton has a shot in this game.... Our offense will move the ball on USD's defense and we will score some points. Can we match USD series for series on offense? I say no.... So, the UD defense will have to be ble to do something that no team has done to USD this year, get some stops!

Looking forward to a great game at Welcome Stadium on Saturday!

GO FLYERS!!!!!

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Today's game can be seen live on the computer for free...

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Score is currently 7-7. 2nd Quarter, Dayton with the ball.... good game!

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
1. Josh Johnson has awesome feet. The guy should have been sacked 4 or 5 times already.

2. Impressed by Dayton's D.

3. Not impressed by San Diego's D-Line.

Good game so far.

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Great Touchdown by Dayton... 14-7 Home team....

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yep...I have to say (not taking anything from San Diego)...I am more impressed with Dayton right now. They are flying all over the field.

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
How did Dayton score their first touchdown... i missed it... San Diego D needs to show up. I like the way Dayton D is playing right now.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 12:54 PM
That....was just silly-- How did Josh get away on that one?!?

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Dayton's Defense is phenomenal right now.

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
They have a great game plan going... USD can't afford to be down by 14 at half... playoff hopes on the line :)

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Again...no clue how Josh got away...but Dayton's D is destroying the O-Line of San Diego....pass wasnt horrible...but INT!

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I believe that is the first interception thrown on the year by J. Johnson
Dayton could pull the upset today...

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Would be huge for Dayton if they can turn this into points... the way their D is playing... it will be tough for USD to come back

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
OH MY..... DAYTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Torero Tradition
21-7 DAYTON

Dane96
what happened...missed it.

Dane96
Got it now....wow...this is a smackdown.

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 01:09 PM
What happened on the kick return... USD is not helping themselves... Dayton is totally locked on Johnson and the passing game... daring them to run

Torero Tradition
San Diego needs to establish the passing game...

Torero Tradition
What a pass by Johnson... amazing!

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
USD FUMBLE..... Dayton ball.... everything going right for Dayton!

Dayton could score again before half!

grizband
October 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Johnson fumbles after being sacked. It's now Dayton ball on the USD 30.

flyenhigh
October 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
21-7 UD with 330 left in half

flyenhigh
October 27th, 2007, 01:29 PM
21-7 halftime, UD leads. Lots left to play, I am pleased so far with the UD defense. I wont hold my breath because you know USD will storm back in the second half...that is for sure.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I am going to be raked here, but....

Impressed with Dayton....
...not at all impressed with San Diego today....but Josh has kept them within the came with his feet.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM
The PFL playoff hopes are currently on path to vanish with Dayton up 21-7 at the half over San Diego...

Could be the most significant loss in FCS if UD keeps this up! Let's go Flyers!

SeattleGriz
October 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Is there audio for the video stream, or do they turn it off at half?

I don't have audio.

FCS Go!
October 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Is there audio for the video stream, or do they turn it off at half?

I don't have audio.
check the first page on this thread for radio link.

grizband
October 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Dayton now leads this one 28-7 in the 3rd.

FCSFAN
October 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
could someone post in the score thread when there is a score?

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Very quiet.....

Dayton 35
USD 16

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
:D GO FLYERS :D

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM
San Diego....finally played somebody. This is beyond having a bad game and Dayton having a good game. This was a complete dismantling.

Congrats to the Flyers. Hopefully, Albany takes care of business...and we will see you in Ohio!

Model Citizen
October 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Awesome game by Dayton.

Here's a lesson the playoff selection committee should learn: there's a reason they play the games.

Fordham
October 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Wow - congrats to Flyer Fans on the drubbing.

BigApp
October 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Very quiet.....

Dayton 35
USD 16

hmmmmmmmm...wonder why?? xlolx

BlueHen86
October 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Congrats Dayton.

Nice win.xthumbsupx
I really thought San Diego would win this game.

Good job flyenhigh, you called it all along.xnodx xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
xeekx WTG Dayton! xthumbsupx

flyenhigh
October 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Congrats Dayton.

Nice win.xthumbsupx
I really thought San Diego would win this game.

Good job flyenhigh, you called it all along.xnodx xthumbsupx

Thank you...UD (Dayton) is back on track.xanim_chaix

PS Nice win for UD (Delaware) as well.

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Way to go Dayton!!!!!

danefan
October 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Its going to be very quiet around here next week...........

Unless DetriotFlyer decides that Dayton now deserves an at-large.............................................

DetroitFlyer
October 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Best overall game I have seen the Flyers play in years. The defense today was awesome.

Kevin Hoyng outplayed Josh Johnson.

Of course I expect the Flyers to be in the top 25 at 8-1. I have had them in the top 25 for weeks in my AGS poll.

And is there any doubt the Flyers are now in the mix for a playoff bid?

GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!!!!!!

dbackjon
October 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the win, Dayton.

crusader11
October 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Good win for the Flyers, but they're still not going to the playoffs.

Model Citizen
October 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM

:D :D :D :D :D
Had to troll a bit, didn't you?

I'll be pulling for Fordham next weekend.

BigApp
October 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM

no, there isn't any doubt, still! xlolx

seahawkfan2007
October 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Frankly I thought JJ was going to be to much for Dayton to handle but it turned out to be Hoyng's day. Great job in Dayton putting 7,800+ in the stands. Congrats to the Flyers.

flyenhigh
October 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM
San Diego....how good are you really?

danefan
October 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Great win and all Dayton.....but before you start talking about playoffs, you should probably go back and remember that you lost to MOREHEAD STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

End of playoff discussion. Buckle down and get ready to host the Gridiron Classic.

Torero Tradition
October 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
CONGRATS TO DAYTON... well prepared.... great game plan! Big Win!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

No playoffs for USD xbawlingx

Best of luck to everyone elses teams today...

UNHFan99
October 27th, 2007, 05:50 PM
My brother was at the game and told me Dayton was in control all along. He is a Flyer but gave his honest opinion and said if given the chance Dayton could make some noise. He thought he would see more from Johnson and was dissappointed.

Boogs
October 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Dayton will probably be my highest ranked mid-major team after I run the program tomorrow morning.

Dayton will shutout the NEC rep in the mid-major championship game (minus the MAAC schools). You heard it here first. xcoffeex

Stony Brook beat some school named Bryant? How crappy could Bryant be to lose to the SWolves?

DetroitFlyer
October 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Your brother sounds like a very smart man!!!!!

Boogs
October 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Your brother sounds like a very smart man!!!!!

Go Flyers. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

-restroom break-

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I'm still ticked Family Guy was interrupted by the World Series.

My brother says hi.

boonegoon
October 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, 10 + pages of USD smack and then empty. kind of like Kidd brewer last week.

Boogs
October 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Wow, 10 + pages of USD smack and then empty. kind of like Kidd brewer last week.

Harbaugh doesn't win there anymore.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Dayton will probably be my highest ranked mid-major team after I run the program tomorrow morning.

Dayton will shutout the NEC rep in the mid-major championship game (minus the MAAC schools). You heard it here first. xcoffeex

Stony Brook beat some school named Bryant? How crappy could Bryant be to lose to the SWolves?

So let me get this straight- Montana and Hofstra give up points to Albany, but Albany (if they make the GIC) will not score against DAYTON?

Dude...you should be wearing a helmet-- Not the football or sport kind...the "don't hurt yourself in an elevator" kind.xeekx

Let me add...any team could get shut out...but to call it a foregone conclusion?!

Steven Bryant
October 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Not making excuses for USD, as I can care less if they win or lose, but it probably didn't help them that they weren't able to practice at all for this game because of the fires and not being able to be outside with the bad air quality.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Ummm...that is an excuse...and teams like ALBANY, Colgate, and other winter squads practice indoors all the time...without insane practice facilities.

It had nothing to do with that game. That was flat out being out played and out coached.

downbythebeach
October 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Dude, why do you talk about stony brook in every post you make?....this thread isnt about them.

downbythebeach
October 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Not making excuses for USD, as I can care less if they win or lose, but it probably didn't help them that they weren't able to practice at all for this game because of the fires and not being able to be outside with the bad air quality.

Thats true.....i forgot about that

Steven Bryant
October 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Ummm...that is an excuse...and teams like ALBANY, Colgate, and other winter squads practice indoors all the time...without insane practice facilities.

It had nothing to do with that game. That was flat out being out played and out coached.

I didn't see the game, but practicing indoors and not practicing at all are two different things. Like I said, I'm not making an excuse for them losing, I'm just saying I don't think it helped.

Boogs
October 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM

So are you saying practicing/being denied practice doesn't influence the final result?

Put your helmet back on.

I stand by my comments. Dayton shuts out the NEC rep. xcoffeex

Boogs
October 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Dude, why do you talk about stony brook in every post you make?....this thread isnt about them.

My main agenda is the overhaul of the NCAA's classification system. Stony Brook doesn't belong in FCS. That is why I throw in an unrelated comment or two.

I'm still pissed for an 11 game regular season, Stony Brook was Richmond's opponent. Football season is too short to have assinine matchups. xcoffeex

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Your main agenda? Who TF are you? Your main agenda. Deaf ears my friend...deaf ears.

And again, teams practice indoors all the time: IT IS CALLED COLD WEATHER TEAMS!

Steven Bryant
October 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
And again, teams practice indoors all the time: IT IS CALLED COLD WEATHER TEAMS!
Thats right, but USD didn't even have the ability to do that. First, they have no indoor facility, being in San Diego, second, with the air quality teams weren't allowed to practice at all. All San Diego college sports were cancelled if the games were local and teams were not allowed to practice. Even the Chargers took off for Arizona to practice.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Look, not saying it didnt have an affect, however you are not telling the true story. While small, San Diego practiced at the Jenny Craig Pavillion...unless people I know at San Diego are lying.

Will someone from San Diego confirm.

That being said...Dayton played a better game...period.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Do me a favor...if you are going to post...and this is both BOOGS and STEVEN BYRANT...know what you are talking about:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2007/10/24/ddn102507udside.html

DAYTON BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF SAN DIEGO...PERIOD! San Diego practiced indoors and outdoors...among good air quality, according to the Coach.

BTW, San Diego State practiced indoors at Aztec Recreation Center. Hmmm...guess their practice wasn't canceled either.

flyenhigh
October 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
ONCE AGAIN PEOPLE TALKING SMACK WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE FACTS

xnonox

Toreros' practice not interrupted by fires

By Mark Gokavi

Staff Writer

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The wildfires in southern California have played havoc with many sports teams' routines, but not so with the University of San Diego football team.

Though the fires aren't near the campus itself, classes at San Diego have been canceled all week because some faculty and staff are dealing with fire-related issues.

For the football players — many who live on or near campus — there hasn't been massive trouble.

San Diego assistant coach Steve Mooshagian said not having classes actually has enabled the team to be flexible about where and when they practice. He said only a couple coaches had houses anywhere near the wildfires — at least so far.

"We kind of have the best air quality right now," Mooshagian said of the area around the USD campus. "We'll do some work indoors and some work outdoors. We've been right on schedule. We haven't let it affect us at all."

Defending Pioneer Football League champion San Diego (7-0) plays Dayton (7-1) at 1 p.m. Saturday at Welcome Stadium.

The Toreros plan to fly to Dayton on Friday and practice that afternoon.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Flyinhigh...already had your back...that is what my link was.

San Diegan's just can't give it up....

BlueHen86
October 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I think everyone should give Dayton at little time to enjoy their win.
And lay off San Diego, this isn't the smack board. San Diego has had a nice run the last two years. I like smacking San Diego as much as anyone, but right now it just seems like piling on.
Just my xtwocentsx.

lizrdgizrd
October 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Nice win Dayton! xthumbsupx

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Your main agenda? Who TF are you? Your main agenda. Deaf ears my friend...deaf ears.

Did your property get burned up this week too?

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Look, not saying it didnt have an affect,...

Then what was your point?

Sheez,....

Make up your mind. xcoffeex

The Moody1
October 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Dayton is a solid PFL team, but they don't have the horses to stop or beat San Diego who is in a different stratosphere in PFL terms. Unless Josh Johnson misses the flight Dayton doesn't have a chance....sorry Flyer fans!

San Diego 42
Dayton 14

xlolx

Dane96
October 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Then what was your point?

Sheez,....

Make up your mind. xcoffeex

Nope xxxxxxxxxx....my point was-- PRACTICE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT (that is weather related practice).

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Nope xxxxxxxxxx....my point was-- PRACTICE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT (that is weather related practice).

San Diego had a huge distraction, doofus!

BlueHen86
October 28th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Excuses are for losers.

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I just saw the word doofus written on this board. xrolleyesx Brilliant...or not.

I want to thank Dayton for saving us all a lot of pain and agony around playoff selection time.

Stang Fever
October 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I am so HAPPY DAYTON beat USD!!! No more playoff talk, USD finally exsposed.

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Excuses are for losers.

I'm not a fan of San Diego!

I rooted for Dayton in that one!

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I am so HAPPY DAYTON beat USD!!! No more playoff talk, USD finally exsposed.

What about Dayton getting into the field of 24 with the SWAC and Ivy League sitting it out?

The talk isn't over. xcoffeex

Stang Fever
October 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
What about Dayton getting into the field of 24 with the SWAC and Ivy League sitting it out?

I need to see there schedule to see if they have beaten anyone else worth a squat. If they have i would love to have them in there, just because they actually have beaten someone.

I is just great that USD got exsposed again. Last year when they Played davis. JJ's numbers were not the same when they played the other cream puffs. Granted he had a lot of pass yards, but the completion percentage was not even close to the 70% he was use to. This year they play Dayton and guess what!!!!?? is numbers again are ot even close to the 70% completion mark. Two games, against good teams and his stats go from 70% to closer to 40%.

Like everyone has said on this board for two years, its not hard to put up numbers like JJ has, when your team is playing cream puffs!!!
But USD fans will do anything they can to explain that it is something else

lizrdgizrd
October 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM

It won't happen this season, so why bring it up?

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM

What are you talking about? The decision to have the SWAC or Ivies in the playoffs isn't something we can do anything about except hope that Ivy presidents change their minds and the SWAC either change its scheduling for the SWAC title game or the playoffs are pushed back a week. Considering the playoffs are about to be extended by a week, I don't see the SWAC ever being in the FCS playoffs.

BobbyMo
October 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
congrats to Dayton

Dane96
October 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Gee...I didnt realize it.

What was it:

1. Lack of practice ability- We already proved that wrong.
2. Distractions- If it were so bad they would have canceled the game.

BTW, nice try on the Hansen Board- The Dayton-USD game was Dayton's website...which many of us watched.

Want to know why 99% people here don't deal with you-- YOU ARE A TOP 5 MISINFORMED POSTER...who has an "AGENDA".

Congrats, you have become the first person to make my ignore list!!!

Only took years for that to actually come to fruition.

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Gee...I didnt realize it.

What was it:

1. Lack of practice ability- We already proved that wrong.
2. Distractions- If it were so bad they would have canceled the game.

BTW, nice try on the Hansen Board- The Dayton-USD game was Dayton's website...which many of us watched.

Want to know why 99% people here don't deal with you-- YOU ARE A TOP 5 MISINFORMED POSTER...who has an "AGENDA".

Congrats, you have become the first person to make my ignore list!!!

Only took years for that to actually come to fruition.

Dayton had an internet video link for the game?

Thanks for telling me that! I would have watched the game too HAD I KNOWN THAT. xcoffeex

flyenhigh
October 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Flyinhigh...already had your back...that is what my link was.

San Diegan's just can't give it up....

Preesh!

UAalum72
October 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Dayton had an internet video link for the game?

Thanks for telling me that! I would have watched the game too HAD I KNOWN THAT. xcoffeex
You need a personal message? This thread was out Friday

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31723

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
You need a personal message? This thread was out Friday

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31723

A personal message would have been nice, UAalum72.

UAalum72
October 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You can't imagine how low on my priority list keeping you informed is. Besides, you've already made up your so-called mind on how good these teams are.

And your 'system' still has Albany ranked well below Fordham, a team Albany beat at their place.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
You can't imagine how low on my priority list keeping you informed is. Besides, you've already made up your so-called mind on how good these teams are.

And your 'system' still has Albany ranked well below Fordham, a team Albany beat at their place.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Congrats to the Flyers!

Boogs
October 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM

And your 'system' still has Albany ranked well below Fordham, a team Albany beat at their place.

Circular conquering path:

Fordham beat Colgate
Colgate beat Albany
Albany beat Fordham

The tiebreaker (if you can call it that) switches to the fit of the rest of your opponent's performance relative to everyone else.

xcoffeex

t's the same scenario as Kentucky, South Carolina and LSU in FBS.

Dane96
October 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Are you still flappin'?!?!

Model Citizen
October 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Great win and all Dayton..... Buckle down and get ready to host the Gridiron Classic.

Not so fast. If Drake bails us out on Nov 10, the Grid Classic will be in San Diego.

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Nice win for the Flyers!

danefan
October 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Not so fast. If Drake bails us out on Nov 10, the Grid Classic will be in San Diego.

Sorry, I forgot about that Drake/Dayton game.

GOTOREROS
October 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Congrats to Dayton. They kicked our butts on Saturday. Not much to say other than that....

flyenhigh
October 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Sorry, I forgot about that Drake/Dayton game.

Dayton is not even close yet. The Drake game will be HUGE. I also hope that UD stays alive this weekend vs Butler (classic trap game).

The Moody1
October 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Congrats to Dayton. They kicked our butts on Saturday. Not much to say other than that....

Not much to say/ How about this:

Originally Posted by GOTOREROS View Post

San Diego 42
Dayton 14

xsmiley_wix

Model Citizen
October 29th, 2007, 03:22 PM
While small, San Diego practiced at the Jenny Craig Pavillion...unless people I know at San Diego are lying.

Will someone from San Diego confirm.

You are correct.

I know there was an article in an Ohio newspaper saying the Toreros would have unlimited outside practices. That was propaganda. The coach quoted in the article could fool a small town Ohio guy (and apparently the writer for Sports Network), but his claims literally failed the Smell Test with San Diegans.

Not excuse mongering...just explaining.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Why would the coach in San Diego be trying to fool reporters from the Dayton Daily News and the Sports Network? I understand that you might craft the truth to your advantage, I'm just trying to understand what possible advantage USD might have gained by telling the story in that manner....

GOTOREROS
October 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Why would the coach in San Diego be trying to fool reporters from the Dayton Daily News and the Sports Network? I understand that you might craft the truth to your advantage, I'm just trying to understand what possible advantage USD might have gained by telling the story in that manner....

San Diego did not practice outdoors last week. It doesn't matter - Dayton was the better team. Time to move and congratulate Dayton. They won.....

GOTOREROS
October 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Not much to say/ How about this:

Originally Posted by GOTOREROS View Post

San Diego 42
Dayton 14

xsmiley_wix

Yes Dayton handed us our rears on Saturday. I was very surprised but you won't get excusese out of me. We lost - plain and simple. Other fans teams might make excuses about not having QB's or other issues, not San Diego. We got worked fair and square....