PDA

View Full Version : Cautiously optimistic about EKU

ekufbfan
October 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
After way too many years the Colonels are looking a little, just a little, hopefully, keeping my fingers crossed like the teams that dominated IAA. Really like how our QB, Holland is running the team. Getting better each week, he can run, he can throw, making intelligent decisions, does not panic, a team leader, everything we need to run this senior dominated team. Good combination of running and throwing the ball. Defense is playing better than they did at the beginning of the season. Two loses, one to UK and it wasn't pretty. But Kentucky has one of the best teams they had in YEARS! The loss to wku, I don't think reflects what this team can do. EKU-wku ??? strange things happen, I don't think wku is that much better than we are, nevertheless they won the game. True, all our wins (except agains SO CO member Western Carolina) have been against teams in a weak OVC, but EKU is not loking like a team that is just getting by because they are better than the other teams in the same conference. Games left against Murray State, Tn Tech, APSU, I believe we can and should win. This team needs to stay focused and play to their potential and I think they will, they seem to be on a mission. Maybe this will finally be the year that EKU reclaims the OVC crown that they owned for years!!
xbeerchugx GOOOOOOOOOOO COLONELS!!

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
I think we can expect that this thread will be responded to in one of three ways:

1) Ignored, as nearly all OVC discussions are... presumably because such discussions are irrelevant; or,
2) Posted on by a few OVC fans and then ignored; or,
3) Posted upon by members of the FCS community to remind EKU (and the rest of the OVC) how irrelevant the conference is and how it won't matter who wins because the playoff result will surely be the same as it has for ten years and that some other conference deserves the OVC autobid instead.

I'm not very interested to see which one it will be because it will likely be the first.

Killtoppers90
October 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
I think we can expect that this thread will be responded to in one of three ways:

1) Ignored, as nearly all OVC discussions are... presumably because such discussions are irrelevant; or,
2) Posted on by a few OVC fans and then ignored; or,
3) Posted upon by members of the FCS community to remind EKU (and the rest of the OVC) how irrelevant the conference is and how it won't matter who wins because the playoff result will surely be the same as it has for ten years and that some other conference deserves the OVC autobid instead.

I'm not very interested to see which one it will be because it will likely be the first.

How `bout a good luck in the playoffs from a Topper instead?

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
How `bout a good luck in the playoffs from a Topper instead?

I have to admit that I did certainly not expect that kind of response! xrotatehx Of course, EKU hasn't qualified for anything yet.

Thank you, kindly all the same. It also seems that your Toppahs are well on their way to achieving their goal for the season.

TTUEagles
October 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
I can tell you this...EKU has the utmost respect from this "die-hard" TTU fan (one of probably three - generous estimate). I'm glad you did beat TSU, for I've never liked them (in a football-only sense). The respect (and dislike for TSU) comes from playing at TTU...I would like to see an OVC team get some respect in the national scene and I think EKU can make some noise in the playoffs. I don't think TTU will give you any trouble on the last game of the year, but don't count us out in the coming years! I do feel the OVC is on the immediate rise and will contend for some serious playoff respect soon. It's so hard being a TTU fan right now, it seems no one cares, but it is getting better...

Syntax Error
October 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
It's always nice to see a storied program rise again. xnodx

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
good luck to you eku

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Fans of the OVC better hope that Eastern wins (and they probably will) because they are the only team that would be a tough out in the playoffs. The thing is, EKU wouldnt have anything to lose and would lay it all on the line against a top team like UNI or UMass.

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Fans of the OVC better hope that Eastern wins (and they probably will) because they are the only team that would be a tough out in the playoffs. The thing is, EKU wouldnt have anything to lose and would lay it all on the line against a top team like UNI or UMass.

Tough out or not, it will be difficult for the OVC to pick up it's first playoff win in 10 years if the Colonels are sent on the road to one of the schools you mention.

Can EKU host its first home playoff game since 1994? Should it?

In favor of a home playoff game:
If the Colonels win out, they will finish 9-2 with losses to only UK and WKU (neither of which is an FCS team). Additionally, the OVC may be weak, but it still features 10 teams making it as big or bigger than any other FCS conference with the exception of the CAA. Does a team that ran the table over all of it's league opponents in that large of a conference deserve a home playoff game?

Against a home playoff game:
However, the Colonels' best wins will be over JSU and EIU who, in turn, have little in the way of quality wins. Additionally, Eastern is highly unlikely to finish the season in the top 10 in any poll because there just aren't enough weeks left. Then, there is also the fact that the OVC hasn't won a playoff game since 1998 (WKU, I believe). Additionally, there are currently too many FCS teams with very strong resumes.

Despite all of this... there are still 4 weeks of football to be played and a lot can happen. Additionally, the committee always makes a few decisions that the FCS fan base finds baffling... so anything is possible.

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
They let Eastern Illinois in last year so might as well give Eastern Ky a home game this year.

catamount man
October 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
After seeing EKU in person this year and following them after the game, they are VERY much a player in this year's playoff field, assuming they make it.

Good luck EKU!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Syntax Error
October 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
... Then, there is also the fact that the OVC hasn't won a playoff game since 1998 (WKU, I believe). ...Last one was in 2000 with seed #5 Western Kentucky beating #12 Florida A&M, 27-0.
Associated Press Archive - June 12, 2000
Western Kentucky football team to exit OVC after 2000 season
After a two-year return to the Ohio Valley Conference, Western Kentucky's football team will leave the league after the 2000 season. The school said Monday it's seeking membership in the Gateway Football Conference, following a decision by the OVC's leadership that all sports teams at member schools must be affiliated with the OVC. Western was an OVC member from 1948 until 1982, when it joined the football-less Sun Belt Conference.

EKU05
October 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I don't think a 9-2 EKU would be entirely undeserving of a home game, but the methodology used to determine such things is a little suspect...so trying to predict what will happen in that regard is as good as useless. We just need to take care of business, earn that auto-bid, and see what happens.

Obviously UNI and UMass would be very tough, but depending on who we draw I definitely think we can make it past the first round. UTM and EIU both lost last year, but both were very competative in their games, and truth be told I think (right now) we're playing as well or better than either of those teams were.

ekufbfan
October 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Not to get ahead of the game, obviously we aren't in yet. Just a statement and a question. As it has been way to long since we have waited on a Sunday afternoon to find out who we play, I am not up on how the powers that be decide on home games. At one time after the top four teams were seeded (and sometimes not even that made a difference) home games were determined by bids (i.e $$$$ guaranteed by the home team) is this not the case anymore? Would be hard to believe the greedy NCAA isn't looking for dollars anymore! EKU use to have fund raiser for playoff bids and the fan/winner who had the golden ticket would win $10,000. Oh, for the good ol' days!!

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Last one was in 2000 with seed #5 Western Kentucky beating #12 Florida A&M, 27-0.

Thank you for the clarification. I could throw another small question out there... the last time a current OVC school won a playoff game. Was it Murray State in 1996? EKU hasn't won such a game since 1994.

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
I sought an answer to my own question. Murray's 1996 win is the last time a current OVC school won a playoff game.

OVC Playoff History PDF (http://www.ovcsports.com/pdf1/79758.pdf?ATCLID=879709&SPID=2441&DB_OEM_ID=6200&SPSID=31021)

EKU05
October 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
I sought an answer to my own question. Murray's 1996 win is the last time a current OVC school won a playoff game.

OVC Playoff History PDF (http://www.ovcsports.com/pdf1/79758.pdf?ATCLID=879709&SPID=2441&DB_OEM_ID=6200&SPSID=31021)

That's pathetic, and we need to do something about it THIS YEAR. Go Colonels.