PDA

View Full Version : What happened at Lafayette???

ngineer
October 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
There have been plenty of postings and threads about our debacle in Bethlehem....but complete silence about the one that occured 12 miles away in Easton...Can anyone illuminate for us what occured in newly baptized arena?? Amazing how the epicenter of the PL has moved northeast.

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Yes shocking indeed...

In short (I am lazy right now after a post on our forum board), our QB can't execute and our offense can't move the ball, offense is anemic and can't stay on the field.. defense is good, but being on the field all the time doesn't help, plus, Fordham was really explosive and we didn't pressure Skelton all too well... and we NEVER cover the center of the field, in between the coverage zones

However, I think it's safe to say the offense lost the game.. though we saw our back-up go 11-12 in the final 6 minutes of the game and showed some emotion and leadership out there, got us a TD and nearly another before a bogus turnover (seriously) following an onsides kick recovery..

carney2
October 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM
Pretty simple: the better team won.

Fordham answered Lafayette's 1st quarter TD with scores on each of their next two possessions and, other than the beginning of the 3rd qyuarter when the Pards narrowed the lead to 5 points, it was never in much doubt. By the way, just to show that Fordham was in complete control, after Lafayette closed the score in the 3rd quarter, the Rams scored on their next two possessions using a total of 4 plays.

John Skelton and his big receivers had a heluva day. He found open receivers - particularly over the middle where Lafayette teams have been traditionally and persistently vulnerable - when he needed them, and on the rare occasions where he was pressured, his size just kept guys bouncing off of him. The Rams running game was not a big factor, but made contributions when called upon. The vaunted and apparently over-hyped Lafayette defense had no answers and whatever adjustments they made on the fly amounted to nothing.

On the other side of the ball where the Leopards supposedly had a huge advantage (no pun intended), the results were not much different. On paper, the Pards should have been able to control the game and the clock behind their offensive line. The Fordham D consistently stuffed the running game. Second and 12, second and 13 was not an unusual situation. Those who said before the season started that (1) Frank can't run his type of offense without an oversized back of the Joe McCourt/Jonathon Hurt type, and (2) no, guys, you need a QB who does more than "manage the offense," are proving to be prophets. They need a new offensive scheme if they are going to continue with a 175 lb. tailback.

Two immediate observations from the humbled in Pardville:

1. We want to vote right now for Tom Masella as Patriot League Coach of the Year. He was totally prepared both ways with his spread offense absolutely shredding the "number one defense in the country," and his defense neutralizing the other side's key strength - the O-line. His swarthy counterpart on the other sideline must have taken his staff on a Bahamas retreat for the week. These guys were prepared for nothing and were seemingly unable to adjust to anything.

2. It is apparent to one and all in the Patriot League that the "manage the offense" comment is pure bull squiggle. We all take note that the only two teams in the League with effective QBs have moved to the front of the pack. If your team doesn't have one, it's time to look down the bench and find one or get your butts out on the recruiting trail and put one in your futures category. You are not going to win with a Mike DiPaola, a Sedale Threatt, an Alex Relph, a..., well, you get my point.

DetroitFlyer
October 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Fordham is a darn good team. Keep in mind, however, that Fordham was not able to beat Dayton of the PFL. What does that say about the PL and the PFL? It is very possible that Fordham could go to the playoffs while the PFL champ sits at home.... Again.... I wonder if any PL fans are starting to believe that the PFL champ deserves a shot at the playoffs?

Spoke
October 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Fordham is a darn good team. Keep in mind, however, that Fordham was not able to beat Dayton of the PFL. What does that say about the PL and the PFL? It is very possible that Fordham could go to the playoffs while the PFL champ sits at home.... Again.... I wonder if any PL fans are starting to believe that the PFL champ deserves a shot at the playoffs?

Nah, not really, since Holy Cross will win anyway.xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
October 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Pretty much what every PL team that has lost to Fordham thought.... Fordham / Holy Cross will be one heck of a game!

hawkineer
October 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Pretty much what every PL team that has lost to Fordham thought.... Fordham / Holy Cross will be one heck of a game!

Having seen both teams, HC appears to be significantly better. I would be shocked if HC doesn't defeat Fordham by at least two scores.

65 Pard
October 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
After watching Princeton convert almost every third and long (and there were a lot of them), it was obvious to me that our D was overrated....We just could not stop them...

As an aside that obnoxious and cacophonous noise emanating from the PA system before the game and at various other times is probably keeping a few hundred or more fans from returning to this great facility.

Pard4Life
October 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM

Oh get off your horse... all I can say is, "On any given saturday....."

Pard4Life
October 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
After watching Princeton convert almost every third and long (and there were a lot of them), it was obvious to me that our D was overrated....We just could not stop them...

As an aside that obnoxious and cacophonous noise emanating from the PA system before the game and at various other times is probably keeping a few hundred or more fans from returning to this great facility.

Oh I don't know Pard65, you could still blare new-wave techno and I'd still go... only the superficial fans don't go because of the music.. BUT I noticed the volume was lower today since I was able to talk to the people near me

Franks Tanks
October 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM

Once again you are barking up the wrong tree. Typically its not PL supporters that hate on the PFL, why do you coninue to assert this? I have no problem with the PFL champ getting a chance in the playoffs

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Once again you are barking up the wrong tree. Typically its not PL supporters that hate on the PFL, why do you coninue to assert this? I have no problem with the PFL champ getting a chance in the playoffs

For some reason DF thinks it's PL and Ivy teams keeping the PFL out of the playoffs since he's always slamming those teams. Who knows why?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
For some reason DF thinks it's PL and Ivy teams keeping the PFL out of the playoffs since he's always slamming those teams. Who knows why?

"Ivy Envy" and "Patriot Envy" xnodx

PeacockRaider
October 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Was able to watch a little of both the Lafayette and Lehigh games on tv sat. Must say that I was extremely impressed with both qb's (Randolph and Skelton). Fordham has a good one their for the next couple of years. Who would of thought the Jesuits are taking over the Patriot League! Excited to visit the new Lafayette Field for the first time next weekend, now if they could only find more tailgating space.

Pard4Life
October 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Was able to watch a little of both the Lafayette and Lehigh games on tv sat. Must say that I was extremely impressed with both qb's (Randolph and Skelton). Fordham has a good one their for the next couple of years. Who would of thought the Jesuits are taking over the Patriot League! Excited to visit the new Lafayette Field for the first time next weekend, now if they could only find more tailgating space.

Since it's Family Weekend, try March Field... there will be space there, though nowhere near the insanity of the past weekend.

Pards will have two more years to solve Skelton.. his offensive line is monstrous.. averaging like 6'3" and 298lbs

carney2
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM

One win makes for neither a career nor a legend. Dayton and the PFL are D-III refugees. Over and out.

Fordham
October 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yah-hey, Yah-hey!! How 'bout those Rams?!?! xnodx xwhistlex

I'll tell you what fellas - shame on me - I gotta get here sooner after games so that someone could put up a Fordham-positive thread topic following one of these big wins before ngineer gets a chance to start yet another nothing-positive-'bout-my-Rams titled one. xeyebrowx

What a great day for so many reasons for Ram fans.

*First off, what an amazing, amazing complex at Fisher Field. I, and other Ram fans, were completely blown away by the $23MM in renovations. Clearly the most beautiful FCS stadium I've been to (haven't been the new Princeton but played in the old one as well as at a few other Ivies). One minor request - can you give us something other than Job Johnnies to handle our business? I actually assume that's in the works but, again, just blown away by the place.

*Lafayette fans - it was very nice to have you guys be so quiet for the game :p . I do have to say that everyone we interacted with was VERY classy throughout and that was much appreciated. Further, the comments I've read here and elsewhere from LC fans have also been handled with class. I know it can't be easy to go into that game with pretty high expectations and have them taken away and then still be respectful about things ... so, not that it counts for anything but much like I felt about the opposing fans at our first big win this season in Hamilton, I really found you guys to be a classy bunch throughout.

*I'm still pretty horse as I write this from screaming my head off but I gotta tell you that I'm still blown away by that performance. I'm just so impressed with our staff and our kids. One thing, in particular, that I loved was that our kids didn't act like they just won the Super Bowl when the game was done - they gave each other some high 5's but pretty much just got in line to shake hands with you guys and walk off the field. I don't know where they're getting from, but these young guys have some great maturity for us. Further, the staff's preparation was tremendous. Really ... and obviously, I guess ... couldn't be any happier with the team and staff at this point.

Can't wait for HC in the Bronx for all the marbles. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Who would of thought the Jesuits are taking over the Patriot League!

The three Jesuit schools all defeated the homestanding Pennsylvania schools of the PL. That's got to be a first.

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Yah-hey, Yah-hey!! How 'bout those Rams?!?! xnodx xwhistlex

I'll tell you what fellas - shame on me - I gotta get here sooner after games so that someone could put up a Fordham-positive thread topic following one of these big wins before ngineer gets a chance to start yet another nothing-positive-'bout-my-Rams titled one. xeyebrowx

What a great day for so many reasons for Ram fans.

*First off, what an amazing, amazing complex at Fisher Field. I, and other Ram fans, were completely blown away by the $23MM in renovations. Clearly the most beautiful FCS stadium I've been to (haven't been the new Princeton but played in the old one as well as at a few other Ivies). One minor request - can you give us something other than Job Johnnies to handle our business? I actually assume that's in the works but, again, just blown away by the place.

*Lafayette fans - it was very nice to have you guys be so quiet for the game :p . I do have to say that everyone we interacted with was VERY classy throughout and that was much appreciated. Further, the comments I've read here and elsewhere from LC fans have also been handled with class. I know it can't be easy to go into that game with pretty high expectations and have them taken away and then still be respectful about things ... so, not that it counts for anything but much like I felt about the opposing fans at our first big win this season in Hamilton, I really found you guys to be a classy bunch throughout.

*I'm still pretty horse as I write this from screaming my head off but I gotta tell you that I'm still blown away by that performance. I'm just so impressed with our staff and our kids. One thing, in particular, that I loved was that our kids didn't act like they just won the Super Bowl when the game was done - they gave each other some high 5's but pretty much just got in line to shake hands with you guys and walk off the field. I don't know where they're getting from, but these young guys have some great maturity for us. Further, the staff's preparation was tremendous. Really ... and obviously, I guess ... couldn't be any happier with the team and staff at this point.

Can't wait for HC in the Bronx for all the marbles. xthumbsupx

Great job by Fordham. I'm looking forward to Yale playing the Rams next year.

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM
The three Jesuit schools all defeated the homestanding Pennsylvania schools of the PL. That's got to be a first.

Congrats to the Hoyas. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
October 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
Congrats to the Hoyas. xthumbsupx

Ditto- picked up their first win xthumbsupx

Fordham
October 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Great job by Fordham. I'm looking forward to Yale playing the Rams next year.
Thanks bulldog. We're very pumped about that one as well. Good luck the rest of the way.

And, DFW, congrats. And thanks for getting me at least one "W" in my pick 'ems!

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Congrats to the Fordham Rams. Lots of hard work and good recruiting is starting to pay off!

Pards Rule
October 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
I cant say if I was more surprised at the spread of the Fordham game (34-16) or the Lehigh score when ABC posted both on Saturday showing 4th quarter scores. Had to sit through a three hour condo meeting at the shore on Saturday so couldnt do homecoming but don't know if I wanted to sit through a three hour thrashing by the Rams or that contentious three hour condo meeting on Long Beach Island, NJ. I believed this game was a toss-up and wouldnt be surprised to see a 24-20 or 27-21 Rams win but that 34-16 score showed me the Rams are on a roll! The Lehigh score took me back to 1998? when they lost at Idaho, 77-0.

ngineer
October 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM

Quit hijacking and create your own thread on your topic.

ngineer
October 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM

Other than last year's outcome, that was the ONLY complaint I had about your new facility. I'm surprised people haven't complained enough to get them to tone it down..xconfusedx

ngineer
October 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM

Guess you could say we 'took the collar'...;) xsmhx

Seawolf97
October 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
I would like to see Fordham or Holy Cross in the playoff picture come November.xnodx

ngineer
October 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
I cant say if I was more surprised at the spread of the Fordham game (34-16) or the Lehigh score when ABC posted both on Saturday showing 4th quarter scores. Had to sit through a three hour condo meeting at the shore on Saturday so couldnt do homecoming but don't know if I wanted to sit through a three hour thrashing by the Rams or that contentious three hour condo meeting on Long Beach Island, NJ. I believed this game was a toss-up and wouldnt be surprised to see a 24-20 or 27-21 Rams win but that 34-16 score showed me the Rams are on a roll! The Lehigh score took me back to 1998? when they lost at Idaho, 77-0.

Correction: 1993 and 77-14; however, in that game we played hard and ran up over 450 yards of offense. Just couldn't score and some turnovers. Holy Cross game was worse because of the way we lost.

Pards Rule
October 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Wow Ngineer can't believe it is going on 15 years...I stand corrected on both counts, 1993 and 77-14.

DetroitFlyer
October 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Quit hijacking and create your own thread on your topic.

Yeah, I know that you just cannot sleep at night knowing my Flyers could probably roll right over your team this year.... xlolx

JoltinJoe
October 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Guess you could say we 'took the collar'...;) xsmhx

xlolx Good one. xlolx

ngineer
October 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I know that you just cannot sleep at night knowing my Flyers could probably roll right over your team this year.... xlolx

Yeah, right....xrolleyesx

Lafayette71
October 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Quite the shakeup this weekend in the PL.

Big win for the Rams at Lafayette. They were clearly the better team. Hopefully Tavani can find something to spark this offense or this years edition could be looking at a 3 or 4 loss PL campaign. They won't even keep it close with HC playing like that and Colgate and Lehigh are always tough outs.

Holy Cross makes as statement as well. HC vs. Fordham should be the PLGOTY.

Congratulations to Georgetown on the League win. There has been some poster who has occasionally mentioned that GU was on their way to a 1-11 campaign, despite apprehension, even from some of the Hoya faithful. How about you pick some lottery numbers for me.

I was most surprised to see how Colgate Handled Towson. Big time ooc win.

carney2
October 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
One minor request - can you give us something other than Job Johnnies to handle our business? I actually assume that's in the works

Methinx that all of the money has been spent. Perhaps the powers that be had Lehigh fans in mind when they came up with this one.

Two things had me concerned as this thing neared completion: the lack of toileting on the visitors' side and the way that the scoreboard angles away from the visitors' side so that it is a little difficult to see over there.

Oh well, after Saturday large crowds will not be a concern anymore this year.xbawlingx

carney2
October 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
I would like to see Fordham or Holy Cross in the playoff picture come November.xnodx

From your lips to God's ear. Consider it done. No disrespect intended for the Rams, but I think that the high powered "O" at Holy Cross could make some playoff noise.

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
One win makes for neither a career nor a legend. Dayton and the PFL are D-III refugees. Over and out.

Tell that to Drake.

DC 'gater
October 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
"I'm just so impressed with our staff and our kids. One thing, in particular, that I loved was that our kids didn't act like they just won the Super Bowl when the game was done - they gave each other some high 5's but pretty much just got in line to shake hands with you guys and walk off the field. I don't know where they're getting from, but these young guys have some great maturity for us. Further, the staff's preparation was tremendous. Really ... and obviously, I guess ... couldn't be any happier with the team and staff at this point."

I can guarantee that your OC Ed Argast has a huge influence on the maturity thing. He's big on the act like you've been there before stuff. He is a great coach and a great guy. He was my 2nd dad for 4 years. I'm happy they are having some success so soon.

Fordham
October 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Great call, gater - Argast is incredible. Just a no-nonsense guy and, boy, has he done an amazing job with our Oline as well as the impact he's had on recruiting.

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Great call, gater - Argast is incredible. Just a no-nonsense guy and, boy, has he done an amazing job with our Oline as well as the impact he's had on recruiting.

Argast is a class act.

Pard4Life
October 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM

Ah so there is the source of all those big guys.. seriously, you have 3 300lb starting linemen all around 6'3".. that's scary..

Have not seen Holy Cross yet, but I think Fordham's defense can play mediocre and have a shot to win.. if their offense controls the ball..

What's the difference between Eakin and Skelton? Curious..