PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards

appstate38
October 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Apps,

Let's not throw the man under the bus just yet. Seems we have some upset fans on here because we lost. I number myself among them. I don't know which is worst. Losing the game, winning streak at home, or wondering if my fellow app faithful will begin to jump off the bandwagon. We got handled by a football team that wanted to win more than us. Lets pull it together. Still alot of football left and this is still a very good football team.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Why is Elder not the starter, he shreaded up our D with ease, and was benched ASAP. Crazyness!

KiddBrewer
October 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Why is Elder not the starter, he shreaded up our D with ease, and was benched ASAP. Crazyness!

unexplainable......but what is more unexplainable....and almost always expected....fans will be on the back of the quarterback who is playing good at the time, always....when armanti was first out, everybody was down on trey being in, saying trey "didnt have it"....now that armanti is back and "struggling", they call for trey...my theory is that they are both on OUR team, and pull for the one thats in at the time, dont worry bout any other mess....and as for the bandwagon app fans....well i for one made myself a shirt saying "fans before september first" which i wear to each game.....if you want one let me know and ill get you one for cheap (to true fans only)

Appaholic
October 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM
unexplainable......but what is more unexplainable....and almost always expected....fans will be on the back of the quarterback who is playing good at the time, always....when armanti was first out, everybody was down on trey being in, saying trey "didnt have it"....now that armanti is back and "struggling", they call for trey...my theory is that they are both on OUR team, and pull for the one thats in at the time, dont worry bout any other mess....and as for the bandwagon app fans....well i for one made myself a shirt saying "fans before september first" which i wear to each game.....if you want one let me know and ill get you one for cheap (to true fans only)

So true....the most popular player on any football team is the back-up QB.....

The truth is our team put up 34 pts today........and LOST!!!! Our defensive coaches better get their ***** together or we won't have to worry about winning a third title.....or even having the opportunity to defend our 2nd title.....

Peems
October 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM

The truth is our team put up 34 pts today........and LOST!!!! Our defensive coaches better get their ***** together or we won't have to worry about winning a third title.....or even having the opportunity to defend our 2nd title.....

Exactly!!! Armanti and the offense did their job, sure there were mistakes made by him, but most teams would expect to win when you score 34, but then again most teams you face don't have Jayson Foster.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Let's not forget that Armanti basically hasn't played for 7 weeks - he wasn't as sharp today as he has been in the past and yes, he made a couple of mistakes but he did rush for an all-time ASU QB record of 220 yards and had right at 400 yards of total offense - Our problem is defense!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Sheesh...AE did not cost you that game. I serisouly doubt that Elder could have made the big running plays that Edwards did. Elder made one good run and some nice passes. That does not mean that that would have gone on all game.

If you want to blame anyone blame your defense who was no match for our offense.

Appaholic
October 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Let's not forget that Armanti basically hasn't played for 7 weeks - he wasn't as sharp today as he has been in the past and yes, he made a couple of mistakes but he did rush for an all-time ASU QB record of 220 yards and had right at 400 yards of total offense - Our problem is defense!!!

Exactly....the sign of a team's greatness is it's ability to hide weaknesses within itself and exploit weaknesses within it's opponent. Our team should rally around Armanti to help ease through his "rustiness". However, they give him a 14pt deficit to work out from under within the 1st 5 minutes of the 1st quarter......they made a nice recovery in the 2nd half, but need to put togetherr two great halves against a strong opponent....

Appaholic
October 20th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Sheesh...AE did not cost you that game. I serisouly doubt that Elder could have made the big running plays that Edwards did. Elder made one good run and some nice passes. That does not mean that that would have gone on all game.

If you want to blame anyone blame your defense who was no match for our offense.

No doubt...we should feel blessed to have both Armanti and Trey.....now, if they could just play defensive line......

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Welcome to how the other half has been living for the past few years :)

Good news is, you have Edwards two more years and the Eagles only have their one man wrecking crew for just a few more games.

On the bright side, at least you didn't put up 51 on the road and lose.

seantaylor
October 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM

Good news is, you have Edwards two more years and the Eagles only have their one man wrecking crew for just a few more games.

Guess you didn't see our freshman QB shred up Appy. Don't worry, you will see him a lot more in the coming weeks.

KiddBrewer
October 21st, 2007, 01:17 AM
appalachian fans, i will admit, i was a little down for about 20 minutes after the game, then i realized, although it seems like we beat ourselves, and in a way we did, im sure michigan fans were sayin the same things we are after the game up there....the game is a game, and although we lost, the season itself is not lost. we got beat by a team that played better than us today, and jayson foster is basically the man. with that said, we still have as good a chance as anybody....even though this loss is monumental, it is only that way because it is at home and we arent used to it. it is often said that the past repeats itself, and if thats true, we lost 2 games in 2005 and still won the ship, keep faith my friends, sure its gonna be a hard road against a number of good teams, but we arent dead.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM

This is the truth, plain and simple. We had no answer for their running game. And they also made big plays passing. Armanti kept us in this game.

ASUdrummer
October 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Ok, for you guys that keep raggin' on AE I just want to point out some things. For one, I was doing the same thing until I remembered that he's been taking snaps for a WEEK! Yes, he looked rough mentally. YES, Coach should've played Elder in and out more to take some pressure off of AE. But give him another week or two to get back in the swing of things and it'll be just as good as ever. Now, if our Defense could play every play with the intensity of the end of the game today we'd have a championship caliber team!!!

Also, it's not exactly a bad thing to not be in our prime yet. What do we want more a SoCon title or National Title??? I don't mind if we save our best football for Nov/Dec...as long as we get the chance.

ButlerGSU
October 21st, 2007, 03:01 AM
Apps,

Let's not throw the man under the bus just yet. Seems we have some upset fans on here because we lost. I number myself among them. I don't know which is worst. Losing the game, winning streak at home, or wondering if my fellow app faithful will begin to jump off the bandwagon. We got handled by a football team that wanted to win more than us. Lets pull it together. Still alot of football left and this is still a very good football team.

I just got back from Boone and man, yall were bleeding black from your home side with 10+ minutes to go in the game. It looked like a river flowing out of the stadium.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 03:13 AM
I just got back from Boone and man, yall were bleeding black from your home side with 10+ minutes to go in the game. It looked like a river flowing out of the stadium.

Kinda sad wasn't it? The other side too.......

The least people could have done (those that left the game) was stick around until the end and applaud our team for a 30 game win-streak. That is a hefty accomplishment.

Whatever, as a football fan, they all missed an exciting 4th quarter.

AppGirl
October 21st, 2007, 06:58 AM
I was at the game. I agree with a lot of what I have read here. Trey should have played more, but that isn't an Armanti slam. He didn't cost us the game, the defense did. We couldn't seem to tackle. I was disappointed in the fans that left when we went down by 18. I'd had a headache since before the game, but I was screaming through it the whole way. I was glad to here the fans, after the game, applauding the team as they left and still cheering "ASU" as they left they were leaving. We now have only one streak to defend, National Championships. Let's get our **** together and play some good football, especially defense!

Laserlips
October 21st, 2007, 07:17 AM
I was at the game. I agree with a lot of what I have read here. Trey should have played more, but that isn't an Armanti slam. He didn't cost us the game, the defense did. We couldn't seem to tackle. I was disappointed in the fans that left when we went down by 18. I'd had a headache since before the game, but I was screaming through it the whole way. I was glad to here the fans, after the game, applauding the team as they left and still cheering "ASU" as they left they were leaving. We now have only one streak to defend, National Championships. Let's get our **** together and play some good football, especially defense!

AppGirl:

That was one sad picture when so many of the APP fans started bailing so early in the 2nd half. It looked like someone had called in a bomb scare.

But, kudos to the real App fans who stayed until the bitter end and saw a fantastic comeback that just came up a bit short.. I'm a GSU fan and I was scared to death your guys would kick a field goal with no time remaining to tie the game, then whip our butts in overtime...

Someone at APP State needs to have a t-shirt printed saying something like "I didn't leave the sadium until the game was over, how about you"?

Give the fair weather fans something to think about.

Winning in Boone has always been very difficult for our Eagles, so yesterday's "escape" with a "W" is extra special when no one gave us a prayer of winning. But bet your guys felt the same way when you left the Michigan crowd shaking their heads too...

I think all teams in the SOCON walked just a bit prouder after your team won that game, and shocked the college football world.xbowx

Best Wishes, awesome game.

J.Pomeroy

Kill'em
October 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM
Edwards' rustiness might have been the deciding factor, but in no way did he cost App St the game. It was his running that kept them in the game. The kid is special.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM
The difference in the outcome was the turnovers. GSU had a pick 6 to make it 14-0 and the red zone int in the third qtr cost ASU a shot at a FG worst case. That's 7 we don't get and at worst 3 App does... there's the difference right there.

A guy like Edwards makes plays playing wide open, and at times will make mistakes playing wide open. You just hope the mistakes don't outweigh the great plays... and with a guy like #4 on the other team every mistake becomes critical.

One other thing... his shoulder's fine.

boonegoon
October 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM
The only way you could blame AE for this loss is if he played Defense. Yes he threw 2 picks, both very costly, but he wasn't in charge of tacking that manbeast Foster. I listened to the broadcast and couldn't see those missed tackles but from what I heard they were pretty awful.

ncman071
October 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
wow, ignorance is in du house tonight. AE was rusty. he's been sidelined with as injury for quite a while yet still put us in a position to win the ball game. Our D line is young but they did play much better in the 2nd half. guys, there is still a LOT of football left. we still have a solid but not great football team. it hurts when you lose guys like Omar Byrum, Daniel Orlebar, and Marques Murrell. We're playing banged up right now. if you look at our schedule, we have at least 3 more very winnable games and could very well be back in the playoffs. we may not get a seed this time but oh well. i still believe in Jerry Moore and this team.

gvilleapp
October 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM

That type thing has always bothered me, but I'll take the new 5,000 bandwagon fans at $25/ticket pumping an extra $125,000 into the program.

I tell you, theApp recruits that were at the game yesterday had to be impressed with the overflow crowd of 28,000, the energy the crowd generated for the Apps in the second half, the indoor practice facility, overall facility plan and most importantly the heart the Apps showed in the fourth quarter.

Congrats to the Eagles. You guys played a great game and deserved to win. Your fans and your band were great and I really respect you guys and your team.

appman111
October 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
His shoulder is NOT healthy. His arm strength was that of a wet noodle today. About got K-Rich killed by lobbing/underthrowing when he was wide open downfield.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Guess you didn't see our freshman QB shred up Appy. Don't worry, you will see him a lot more in the coming weeks.

How Lowe plays WITHOUT Foster will determine how good he is, IMO. If Lowe is in the game and doing well, a lot of that can be attributed to the presence of #4 in the backfield.

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM
There's nothing really wrong with the offense in general or Armanti that more practice and experience can't fix.

From what I saw (and, yes, I stayed at the game until the end), Edwards was a little rusty in his passing game, but made up for it with his running. He made a bad decision with the first pick, and threw into double coverage a few times. He needs to get better at looking off his first read and finding the second or third. Also, his game management during the last 1:20 of the game was not very good. This too will improve with practice and experience. And he played his guts out. In the second half he looked like a man on a mission.

I can buy into the argument that Trey should have played the last possession-- experience at clock management and a sharper passing game would have helped there. But I don't think Trey could have slashed the GSU defense for as many yards as Armanti did. I think Armanti put us in a position to win, and Trey could have sealed it.

Some stupid penalties hurt us-- the holding on the last punt (where Dexter ran it down to the GSU 20) absolutely killed us. And Dex didn't even need that block!

The biggest concern is the defense. The App offense put up 35 points-- that should be enough to win. The defense allowed 31 points, 24 in the first half. The poor tackling is killing the Apps' chances to beat a GSU or a Wofford. Those two teams have senior, experienced lines, and they both simply abused our defensive front.

To their credit, the defense played much better in the 2nd half, but by that time we were in a hole. They have got to make those adjustments much sooner-- can't wait until halftime against a Georgia Southern.

Last year, our defense would get some good stops early in the game, and would give the offense good field position. The offense would put up points early, giving the defense the luxury of being able to bend a little bit without putting the game in jeopardy. Those days are long gone. If we win out (and this is doable), 2 or 3 of those 4 victories are going to be down to the wire shootouts.

All that said, I still believe this team can go 9 and 2 and make the playoffs. A home game is even possible in the first couple of games. No way we play at home for the semis-- assuming the defense tightens up!

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
One more thing about Armanti. When I was leaving the stadium with my 8-yr-old daughter (who was wearing her #14 jersey), we heard a lot of people down on Armanti (Armanti's an idiot, Armanti sucks, etc).

When we got in the car, she said "Why were all those people saying those things about Armanti? It's mean. He played really hard and they almost won. And Armanti beat Michigan and he won the championship last year."

All I could say was "You're right, honey...."

EmeryZach
October 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Boone's not a happy place right now is it?

proasu89
October 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM

A little down, but not out yetxlolx To tell the truth, 30 straight home wins, 2 Titles and a win at Michigan can spoil a fan base. :o

parr90
October 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM

Problem with that statement is that our Freshman QB is really the guy that ought to be playing. Our running game will return which has been very good and finaly a QB that can pass. We should be better all around next season.

parr90
October 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM
appalachian fans, i will admit, i was a little down for about 20 minutes after the game, then i realized, although it seems like we beat ourselves, and in a way we did, im sure michigan fans were sayin the same things we are after the game up there....the game is a game, and although we lost, the season itself is not lost. we got beat by a team that played better than us today, and jayson foster is basically the man. with that said, we still have as good a chance as anybody....even though this loss is monumental, it is only that way because it is at home and we arent used to it. it is often said that the past repeats itself, and if thats true, we lost 2 games in 2005 and still won the ship, keep faith my friends, sure its gonna be a hard road against a number of good teams, but we arent dead.

This is the mentality you get when your football team has had mucho success. Think you beat yourselves. Well Im here to tell ya, GSU beat you, you didnt beat yourself. You got outplayed. Plain and simple. We had crucial penalties also.

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
A little down, but not out yetxlolx To tell the truth, 30 straight home wins, 2 Titles and a win at Michigan can spoil a fan base. :o

Amen! Just to elaborate a bit-- 2005 to present: 31 - 6 overall record, including the aforementioned 2 titles and the win at the Big House.

There's still some football to be played in 2007, but for now 2005-2007 is easily the best 3 consecutive years ever for ASU football. Possibly the best 3 years for any I-AA program (if not, it's up there in the top few).

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
This is the mentality you get when your football team has had mucho success. Think you beat yourselves. Well Im here to tell ya, GSU beat you, you didnt beat yourself. You got outplayed. Plain and simple. We had crucial penalties also.

Yep, got beat.

GSU clearly owned the first half, ASU clearly owned the second. Unfortuneatly for the Apps, GSU did more with its half.

Kill'em
October 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
One more thing about Armanti. When I was leaving the stadium with my 8-yr-old daughter (who was wearing her #14 jersey), we heard a lot of people down on Armanti (Armanti's an idiot, Armanti sucks, etc).

When we got in the car, she said "Why were all those people saying those things about Armanti? It's mean. He played really hard and they almost won. And Armanti beat Michigan and he won the championship last year."

All I could say was "You're right, honey...."

She sounds like she has a good perspective. We all should remember that.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Amen! Just to elaborate a bit-- 2005 to present: 31 - 6 overall record, including the aforementioned 2 titles and the win at the Big House.

There's still some football to be played in 2007, but for now 2005-2007 is easily the best 3 consecutive years ever for ASU football. Possibly the best 3 years for any I-AA program (if not, it's up there in the top few).

GSU 1998-2002: 64-10, 3 NC game appearances, 2 titles, semi's 5 consecutive years, 5 straight conference titles, Payton Award winner in 1999. 40-5 from 1998-2000.

GSU 1988-1990: 39-6, 3 NC game appearances, 2 titles, 15-0-0 in 1989.

YSU 1990-1994: 61-9-2, 4 NC game appearances, 3 titles, 14-0-1 in 1994

Are the best stretches I can think of off the top of my head... can anybody else name others that are in this category?

KiddBrewer
October 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM

"we got beat by a team that played better than us today, and jayson foster is basically the man."

thats kinda what i said....

Appaholic
October 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM

Kind of like Amherst last December........without the burning cars and riots....

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
This is the truth, plain and simple. We had no answer for their running game. And they also made big plays passing. Armanti kept us in this game.

Or maybe it's just that GSU has a very deep and effective running game the likes of which you will probably not see again for the rest of the year, even if you have four playoff games.

Look at the numbers that we have put up all season.

As far as AE goes, well, this is his first loss (FBS or FCS) as a starter. how can you want to bench him for one game?

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
IMO

armanti or trey we will be fine... but i must wonder what trey must do? he does nothing wrong and gets benched... armanti had a pretty rough day yesterday... it will be interesting to see what happens next week...

biggest issue is definately the D... cant keep letting up so many points so early in the game and expect to win

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM
foster for the payton award!!!

ASUdrummer
October 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Bottomline is Armanti is our Quarterback and Trey is the back-up. Armanti took us to a National title and showed Michigan we could play and then got hurt. Trey came in and did a great job, as the back up. He's an extremely talented quarterback but Armanti is the starter. He was healthy, he got the start. Better for him to get back into his rhythm now than later. However, IMHO, I think our offense would be better if we rotated QBs a little more.

As for GSU's "deep and effective running game"...I don't know if you call Jayson Foster playing quarterback, tailback, wide receiver and special teams very "deep". It's diverse, yes, but deep...no.

Kill'em
October 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Armanti Edwards is a big reason for App's success. He is so much like Foster, they could be thought to be related. Both are very fast, elusive, and make plays when most others couldn't. Also, for being small, they can take a beating and pop right back up. Most importantly, both are winners. App St's chances of a three-peat go up with him at starting QB.

ChiefGSU275
October 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Bottomline is Armanti is our Quarterback and Trey is the back-up. Armanti took us to a National title and showed Michigan we could play and then got hurt. Trey came in and did a great job, as the back up. He's an extremely talented quarterback but Armanti is the starter. He was healthy, he got the start. Better for him to get back into his rhythm now than later. However, IMHO, I think our offense would be better if we rotated QBs a little more.

As for GSU's "deep and effective running game"...I don't know if you call Jayson Foster playing quarterback, tailback, wide receiver and special teams very "deep". It's diverse, yes, but deep...no.

I think Lamar Lewis had a couple of TD runs in there too, lets not forget about him.

Baldy
October 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, being you don't know anything about what you say, let me educate you a little bit.
No doubt that Foster is the catalyst, but Lamar Lewis at 500+ yards with a 8+ ypc average with him missing at least 2 full games due to injury, and Big-12 freshman of the year Mike Hamilton missing over half of the year due to injury and losing Zeke Rozier all freshman everything for the year due to injury has exactly showed us why we are sooo deep at RB.

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Well, being you don't know anything about what you say, let me educate you a little bit.
No doubt that Foster is the catalyst, but Lamar Lewis at 500+ yards with a 8+ ypc average with him missing at least 2 full games due to injury, and Big-12 freshman of the year Mike Hamilton missing over half of the year due to injury and losing Zeke Rozier all freshman everything for the year due to injury has exactly showed us why we are sooo deep at RB.

there is no doubt you guys are deep at that position obviously drummer didnt do his homework! xnodx

Appguy
October 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
I think Drummer was going off what we saw at the app game which was foster runs to the left(at QB or RB), foster to the right(at QB or RB), foster recieves pass on the screen, foster returns punt. that short guy can do anything.

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM

Now, wait a minute. If Foster had been sitting on the bench, your freshman QB would not have done quite so well.

I have been to many, many college football games over 25+ years (mostly App games), and I have NEVER seen a team so dependant on one player - and he is one hell of a player!!

Let's just keep things in perspective here.

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM

Not me.

ASUdrummer
October 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for enlightening me on the GSU running game guys. It's scary to know what it could've been. In my defense, I WAS going off of what I saw in Boone Saturday. Without Jayson Foster those touchdowns Lamar had might not have happened. Without Jayson Foster a lot of stuff might not have happened. It sounds like you don't have to worry about the running game after he's gone though...best of luck the rest of the season!

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM

Baldy:

Chill, dude. I am sure the poster you were replying to was just commenting on what he saw yesterday. Is there any position that Foster does NOT play? He really is the real deal. I was not impressed with any other GaSo player nearly so much. And, judging from what I saw yesterday, neither was Coach Hatcher. What the heck is he going to do if Foster gets injured?

Baldy
October 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Baldy:

Chill, dude. I am sure the poster you were replying to was just commenting on what he saw yesterday. Is there any position that Foster does NOT play? He really is the real deal. I was not impressed with any other GaSo player nearly so much. And, judging from what I saw yesterday, neither was Coach Hatcher. What the heck is he going to do if Foster gets injured?
Hatcher will do what Hatcher does best, run HIS offense.
Billy Lowe is a prototypical Hatcher QB, good moves with a great arm who can throw the ball anywhere on the field. Yesterday was the first time he saw any real game time experience, and in front of the most hostile away game atmosphere he will see in his college career (except for UGA next season), and the guy played better than I believe anyone expected him to.
Hatcher putting Lowe in that position pretty much shows me that he is impressed with Billy's talent. 8 for 11 for 145 yards and a TD. Pretty impressive when you consider Foster only had 3 of those receptions.

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Hatcher will do what Hatcher does best, run HIS offense.
Billy Lowe is a prototypical Hatcher QB, good moves with a great arm who can throw the ball anywhere on the field. Yesterday was the first time he saw any real game time experience, and in front of the most hostile away game atmosphere he will see in his college career (except for UGA next season), and the guy played better than I believe anyone expected him to.
Hatcher putting Lowe in that position pretty much shows me that he is impressed with Billy's talent. 8 for 11 for 145 yards and a TD. Pretty impressive when you consider Foster only had 3 of those receptions.

My point was that EVERYONE in the stadium was looking at what Foster was doing. So was the ASU defense. Having a great player like Foster on your team makes it somewhat easier for all of the other players to look good.

For example, although I don't recall a play action where Lowe faked a handoff to Foster, if he had, the LBs would have practically jumped out of their booties to stop the run - hence the wide open receiver downfield - hence the QB's pass completion looks good. No matter where Foster lined up, he had everyone's attention.

Whether your QB is a great player remains to be seen on another day without Foster. For what it's worth, I thought Lowe played well yesterday.

Laserlips
October 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Baldy:
I was not impressed with any other GaSo player nearly so much. And, judging from what I saw yesterday, neither was Coach Hatcher. What the heck is he going to do if Foster gets injured?

james_lawfirm:

Wash your mouth out boy for even bringing that possibility up.. Knock on wood, do anything to dissipate that negative thought..... Yikes.. We, GSU fans, simply dare not consider that happening...

I can give you a hint tho... At one game in Paulson early in the season Jayson was piled on and came up "gimpy" and the whole stadium got deathly quiet and everyone was holding their breaths.. Scary feeling to a GSU fan.

We know that Jayson Foster is a one man wrecking ball.. He has, for the large part, been our offense. We started out the season with (I think) 5 excellent running backs... We lost Rozier & Grey for the season, Lewis, Hamilton, and Teal have all been hurt, and the Eagles number one rb from last season is Chris Covington who is now our best defensive player...

IMO the 2007 GSU Eagle football season is basically the "Jayson Foster GSU farewell tour"... We win or lose to a large degree on his individual skills on that particular day. Our depth is non-existent and we are constantly forced to move players around just to fill in gaps created by injured players.

Just from watching Billy Lowe in limited playing time I think our football program will be in good hands at qb in the seasons to come. Coach Hatcher really wants a "Hatch Attack" largely passing game, but simply does not have the players in postion to implement that offense. I think after a good year or two of recruiting and getting things set up the way he wants them GSU will be a pretty darn good football program.

So, we don't discuss Jayson getting hurt...xwhistlex

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. How STUPID was BVGoober last season to keep Jayson sitting on the bench 90% of the time?xbangx

Kill'em
October 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Remember when AP got hurt? With the injuries to our running backs, Foster has got to carry the load, literally. Lowe's time will come and we will see what happens. I am concerned with this year. I want to enjoy every game Jayson has left.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Foster was outstanding and give the GSU coaches due credit for an outstanding game plan of moving him around - Your young QB looked good but I have to agree with others posters that part of that had to be App's concentration on Foster (again - great game plan) - On one pass play in the 3rd - Foster was on the wing and I isolated on him - our DE dropped off with him and a DB came to help cover and even our LB was there and of course, that led to a wide-open #21 (I believe) down the seam with no ASU players in sight for a huge gain - Foster is special --- Also, I read earlier that Hamilton was Big 12 Freshman of the Year? - Please fill me in on that - thanks ---

Laserlips
October 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Foster was outstanding and give the GSU coaches due credit for an outstanding game plan of moving him around - Your young QB looked good but I have to agree with others posters that part of that had to be App's concentration on Foster (again - great game plan) - --

WVAPPmountaineer:

I don't know the the whole story on Hamilton, but I do know he is hurt, and has been hurt for the past 3 games.. Lewis is a hoss, but he too is hurt, and has been hurt for several games. Rozier "looked" like he was gonna be fantastic but his injury knocked him out for the season (I think in game one, maybe game 2). Good news about him is I think we were able to medical redshirt him, so we should have his talents for 4 more seasons. Teal is gimpy too, but has matured by necessity and looks to be very good for us, especially in the years to come. (I think he's a true freshman).

There should be NO doubt in anyones mind that just having Jayson Foster lined up for our GSU Eagles, no matter the position, gives the defense more to think about and of course they double-team him, assign a man to him, watch his every move and that opens up the run and pass for us.

Jayson does things that simply amaze us game after game. There needs to be a "Jayson Foster juked me out of my jockey strap" club because every game this season (and in years past) Jayson has made some defensive player look silly..

It's just Jayson's skill and we are extremely fortunate to have him, even if it is his senior year. He's a pleasure to watch as you know any time he has his hands on the ball he has the potential to score, and often does.. I think he's scored what, 16 td's so far?

Hey, as goes Jayson's day, so goes the success or lack thereof of the Eagles. Just the way it is. Next year, another deal, this year: JAYSON.xbowx xbowx

Great game Saturday.. Lots of Eagle fans thought we'd never win in Boone again as it seems your folks always have our number there. Great crowd too, just a shame so many bailed and missed the heart-stopping final quarter.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

P.S. Guess Jayson has good stamina this season from all the rest he got sitting on the bench last season when BVGoober was our faux head coach. xpissedx

ASUG8
October 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
I only got through page 4 before I had to throw this in....
1. Wofford beat us with misdirection running and substitution QB's - you never knew where the ball was going
2. Jason Foster is all that and a bag of chips
3. GSU played a great game and deserved the win no matter what the reason.
4. GSU beat us much like Wofford, with misdirections and switching out QB's

My question is this (I hope Jerry Moore is reading this :) ) if we have two QB's who are extremely effective for different reasons (Armanti is a much more explosive runner, Trey seems to be a better passer, more patient, and a running threat) why not take the same type of approach with alternating QB's? Clearly it works, since we're 0-2 when facing it. When Trey can come in and shred GSU's D in under 4 minutes for two TD's and a 2 point conversion, use him as a situational QB. It mixes up the opposing D just enough to make the game more interesting. We have too much talent on the team to win by coming from behind. My $.02.

The Moody1
October 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM

He won't be able to make a living throwing those five yard passes to Foster next year.

The Moody1
October 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM

At least we beat Elon. xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
October 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Actually, both Hamilton and Lewis were hurt in the first game against West GA. Yes, Hamilton was the Big-12 Freshman of the Year. During his sophomore year he hurt his knee and fell to third-string. Apparently, Coach Hatcher has been waiting for Lowe to develop enough where he felt comfortable using him. Hatcher is known for using more than one QB. It worked great. Everyone knows opponents will key on Foster but App St did not prepare for Lowe. This is a great move by Hatcher.

Baldy
October 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
He won't be able to make a living throwing those five yard passes to Foster next year.
As I stated earlier, Foster only caught 3 balls for 41 yards. Who did the other 5 pass completions and 100+ yards come from? xsmhx xoopsx

NDSUFREAK
October 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
wow, i'd never think that this would happen after michigan....

james_lawfirm
October 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
I only got through page 4 before I had to throw this in....
1. Wofford beat us with misdirection running and substitution QB's - you never knew where the ball was going
2. Jason Foster is all that and a bag of chips
3. GSU played a great game and deserved the win no matter what the reason.
4. GSU beat us much like Wofford, with misdirections and switching out QB's

My question is this (I hope Jerry Moore is reading this :) ) if we have two QB's who are extremely effective for different reasons (Armanti is a much more explosive runner, Trey seems to be a better passer, more patient, and a running threat) why not take the same type of approach with alternating QB's? Clearly it works, since we're 0-2 when facing it. When Trey can come in and shred GSU's D in under 4 minutes for two TD's and a 2 point conversion, use him as a situational QB. It mixes up the opposing D just enough to make the game more interesting. We have too much talent on the team to win by coming from behind. My $.02.

IMO, platooning QBs NEVER works. ASU has tried it over the years (Jeremiah/Reeves) and it just kept the OL trying to figure out the cadence, among other problems. The reason Wofford & GaSo did so well is our Defense needs improvement. GaSo did not platoon QBs so much; they just put Foster somewhere else. My Momma could have played QB w/ Foster in as receiver. (OK, maybe I exaggerate.) If your offense scores 35, it is reasonable to expect to win. Why did we lose? CAUSE THEY SCORED MORE!!! DUH!

IF ASU can straighten out our young D line, then we will do well in the playoffs. If we do not, then there may not even be a playoff for us this year. There's nothing wrong with our offense. I would have played Trey continuously when AE got dinged up. But, other than that, the O is fine.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
At least we beat Elon. xsmiley_wix

Good one. Go tell it to Elon fans that care. The point is, we beat you.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Mountaineer#96
October 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
The offense is not at fault here at all!!!!!! 28 plus points a game should win them all. Our offense avg's over 35 plus a game. IT IS DEFENSE PEOPLE. Our Defensive line is not attacking the football and getting off blocks. The LB core is missing tackles, the secondary is not coming up to support the front 7, and when they do with the exception of Corey Lynch, they are missing tackles. In our two title runs this was not the case. Coach needs to throw them back into the blue jerseys and do tackling and pursuit drills all this week.

ASUG8
October 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Why did we lose? CAUSE THEY SCORED MORE!!! DUH!

Not to beat on an App brother, but I really don't need the terribly insightful "Maddenesque" philosophy of how to win a game. There's nothing magical about scoring 35 points to win a game - ask any Furman fan on the board. My point was simply that if we aren't going to win games on our defensive strength and we continuously find ourselves in a shootout situation, maybe it's time to shuffle the deck a bit. I think I read somewhere that the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over in the same situation and expecting different results, but I could be wrong......
Other teams watch tape, figure out how to adjust offensive or defensive schemes, and hope to catch the other guys off guard thereby scoring more points and winning the game. Sounds suspiciously like WU and GSU results against us. xconfusedx