PDA

View Full Version : Who's #1 WARNING HOMER THREAD

nmatsen
October 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Someone earlier said UNI vs WIU would be a good comparison game to see how we and NDSU stacked up against each other. I figured seeings how this is the only way we will ever know (this year) I would put the numbers together to show why I feel we should retain our number one ranking.

Offense vs WIU

UNI 448yds, 42 pts NDSU 385yds, 41pts - Edge UNI

Defense vs WIU

UNI 163 yds, 3 pts NDSU 316yds, 28pts - Edge UNI

This is the only way you can compare, for now, at least til next year.

I could say things like "the Big 12 team we beat is better than the Big 10 team you beat" but I won't. Even though I think ISU would beat Minnesota and we beat ISU by more than top 5 Oklahoma. And please don't even act like your win over Central Michigan was worth anything, seriously, they gave up 70 today!

So, obviosly, and I warned everyone this is a homer thread, I believe that UNI still should be number 1!xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

I just hope the fact that we beat ISU at the beginning of the season and you beat Minnesota today doesn't cost us the number one ranking.

Reed Rothchild
October 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I could say things like "the Big 12 team we beat is better than the Big 10 team you beat"

An ISU v Minny matchup would be the best game ever! They could mee in Mason City and play in Mohawk stadium so there would be no home field advantage!

nmatsen
October 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM
An ISU v Minny matchup would be the best game ever! They could mee in Mason City and play in Mohawk stadium so there would be no home field advantage!

Awesome, I will be there. Problem is, the game would never end!

Reed Rothchild
October 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I just hope the fact that we beat ISU at the beginning of the season and you beat Minnesota today doesn't cost us the number one ranking.

Luckily, if we run the table, it won't matter cuz we'll get the #1 seed anyway.

RabidRabbit
October 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM
2 FBS wins, plus the rest (- MVSU :p ) I think that NDSU gets #1. UNI gets to win it in the play-offs.

NDSU gets to enjoy.......

until the Jacks stop them for the GWFC title, Dakota Cup.xwhistlex

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
see below:

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Why would it matter? You have a shot at the Championship and the #1 ranking on the final poll after the championship.

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Luckily, if we run the table, it won't matter cuz we'll get the #1 seed anyway.
Unless the Penguins get up off the mat, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

pantherfan
October 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Unless the Penguins get up off the mat, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Did Missouri State look that bad today against the Dogs that you'd say they have little shot at home against us then? MSU seems like a scary game on the road...even with them getting beat up today...

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Did Missouri State look that bad today against the Dogs that you'd say they have little shot at home against us then? MSU seems like a scary game on the road...even with them getting beat up today...
You have to get over that Terry Allen phobia. MSU has no D. You do. You should beat them with not much problem.

crunifan
October 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I don't care who is number one. It's not going to spare us the "NDSU should have been in the play-offs" and "NDSU is the real national champion this year, they would have run over everyone in the play-offs" banter once the regular season ends.

No_Skill
October 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't care who is number one. It's not going to spare us the "NDSU should have been in the play-offs" and "NDSU is the real national champion this year, they would have run over everyone in the play-offs" banter once the regular season ends.

So far most of this has not been from NDSU fans.

DuckDuckGriz
October 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM
UNI showed everyone they are #1 today. Blowing out WIU like that on the road is incredible. NDSU would be tied for that but I give the Panthers the nod since they are playoff eligible. UNI is looking very scary right now.

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM
UNI showed everyone they are #1 today. Blowing out WIU like that on the road is incredible. NDSU would be tied for that but I give the Panthers the nod since they are playoff eligible. UNI is looking very scary right now.

The panthers have played a MUCH tougher schedule, to boot.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

crunifan
October 21st, 2007, 01:42 AM
So far most of this has not been from NDSU fans.

I would agree with you.

But last season during the playoffs, it was from NDSU fans. And I promise you if you are 11-0 this season, it will happen again, and it will be even worse.

TheBisonator
October 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM
The panthers have played a MUCH tougher schedule, to boot.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

NDSU:

Minnesota (FBS)
Central Michigan (FBS)
Sam Houston State
UC Davis
Stephen F. Austin
Western Illinois
Mississippi Valley State

UNI:

Iowa State (FBS)
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Drake (No-Scholl-FCS)
Minnesota State-Mankato (DII)

I have to disagree with you there...

catbob
October 21st, 2007, 02:02 AM
NDSU gets my vote.

DuckDuckGriz
October 21st, 2007, 02:11 AM
It's ironic that for a league that boasts that the best teams duke it out on the field - the long-awaited matchup between UNI and NDSU won't happen. xsmhx

X-Factor
October 21st, 2007, 03:01 AM
It's ironic that for a league that boasts that the best teams duke it out on the field - the long-awaited matchup between UNI and NDSU won't happen. xsmhx

there was talk of having this game in 07, neither team would agree to traveling.

JayJ79
October 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM
This is the only way you can compare, for now, at least til next year.

For now, yes. But there will be three more common opponents by the end of the season: Southern Utah, Illinois State, and South Dakota State

Drblankstare
October 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM
UNI would have to lose for NDSU to take the #1 ranking.

UNI looks extremely good.

Houndawg
October 21st, 2007, 06:16 AM
UNI would have to lose for NDSU to take the #1 ranking.

UNI looks extremely good.

Agreed. I don't see anyone beating UNI until the re-match with SIU in Chattanooga.

nmatsen
October 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
NDSU:

Minnesota (FBS)
Central Michigan (FBS)
Sam Houston State
UC Davis
Stephen F. Austin
Western Illinois
Mississippi Valley State

UNI:

Iowa State (FBS)
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Drake (No-Scholl-FCS)

Your argument is that you played Central Michigan? Seriously dude, they wouldn't finish in the top half of our league.

YoUDeeMan
October 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM
Your argument is that you played Central Michigan? Seriously dude, they wouldn't finish in the top half of our league.

I think his argument was the UNI palyed a D-II and a non-scholly. Somehow, with those two stinkers, UNI thinks they played the tougher schedule. xrolleyesx

nmatsen
October 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
I didn't agree with the fact that they were but please remember that Drake carried a top 25 ranking when we played them, as did Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois and South Dakota State. Guess what. None of those teams are ranked any more because we beat them all. 4 out of 5 of them on the road. That means 5 of our 7 wins have come against top 25 competition(at the time), and one came against a big 12 school. Ya, so I do think our strength of schedule is impressive.

I am not for a second trying to say NDSU is not the crap nizzle. They are, they are just not number one. Good luck to NDSU the rest of the way out. I would love to know where they play SDSU, Illinois State, Southern Utah. Should be interesting. Illinois State might give them fits but we never play the Redbirds well in Normal so maybe they will run over them the way MSU did. Who knows. Go Panthers!

YoUDeeMan
October 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM
I didn't agree with the fact that they were but please remember that Drake carried a top 25 ranking when we played them, as did Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois and South Dakota State.

Delaware had a top 25 ranking when several teams played us in 2006. xnodx Didn't mean we were a top 25 team. xsmhx

Boogs
October 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM
UMass should be the #1 team this week for October 21st.

Houndawg
October 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM
I didn't agree with the fact that they were but please remember that Drake carried a top 25 ranking when we played them, as did Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois and South Dakota State. Guess what. None of those teams are ranked any more because we beat them all. 4 out of 5 of them on the road. That means 5 of our 7 wins have come against top 25 competition(at the time), and one came against a big 12 school. Ya, so I do think our strength of schedule is impressive.

I am not for a second trying to say NDSU is not the crap nizzle. They are, they are just not number one. Good luck to NDSU the rest of the way out. I would love to know where they play SDSU, Illinois State, Southern Utah. Should be interesting. Illinois State might give them fits but we never play the Redbirds well in Normal so maybe they will run over them the way MSU did. Who knows. Go Panthers!

SIU isn't ranked anymore? I gotta keep up better.

pantherfan
October 21st, 2007, 09:48 AM
NDSU:

Minnesota (FBS)
Central Michigan (FBS)
Sam Houston State
UC Davis
Stephen F. Austin
Western Illinois
Mississippi Valley State

UNI:

Iowa State (FBS)
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Drake (No-Scholl-FCS)

Your attempt at discrediting Drake is pretty silly considering three of the Bison's FCS wins are MVSU, SFA, and SHSU. SHSU took ya to the wire as well. MVSU and SFA would probably lose to Drake...xrolleyesx

No_Skill
October 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Your attempt at discrediting Drake is pretty silly considering three of the Bison's FCS wins are MVSU, SFA, and SHSU. SHSU took ya to the wire as well. MVSU and SFA would probably lose to Drake...xrolleyesx

Drake lost to Davidson yesterday.

Sag Rankings

SHSU - 164
MVSU - 207
Davidson - 210
SFA - 220

"MVSU and SFA would probably lose to Drake"...sure about that?

D1B
October 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I was at the Minny game yesterday. NDSU looked awesome. It's a tough call, but I give NDSU the edge.

They should be in the playoffs.

spelunker64
October 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM
II would love to know where they play SDSU, Illinois State, Southern Utah. Should be interesting. Illinois State might give them fits but we never play the Redbirds well in Normal so maybe they will run over them the way MSU did. Who knows. Go Panthers!

Southern Utah @ home
Ill St @ home
Cal-Poly away
SDSU away

Syntax Error
October 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Sag Rankings
SHSU - 164
MVSU - 207
Davidson - 210
SFA - 220
"MVSU and SFA would probably lose to Drake"...sure about that?According to Massey who actually ranks all teams, Northern Iowa's opponents are rated better by average.

UNI (59): 159 average
146 Iowa State (FBS)
87 Southern Illinois
127 Western Illinois
203 Illinois State
159 South Dakota State
238 Drake
153 Minnesota State-Mankato (D-II)

NDSU (67): 182 average
114 Minnesota (FBS)
76 Central Michigan (FBS)
198 Sam Houston State
190 UC Davis
257 Stephen F. Austin
127 Western Illinois
313 Mississippi Valley State

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

No_Skill
October 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
According to Massey who actually ranks all teams, Northern Iowa's opponents are rated better by average.

146 Iowa State (FBS)
87 Southern Illinois
127 Western Illinois
203 Illinois State
159 South Dakota State
238 Drake

114 Minnesota (FBS)
198 Sam Houston State
190 UC Davis
257 Stephen F. Austin
127 Western Illinois

You're using info that has DII Nebraska Omaha ranked #21 in the nation above the likes of USC, Florida St, and Michigan? xrulesx

Seems a tad suspect...don't you think?

Syntax Error
October 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
You're using info that has DII Nebraska Omaha ranked #21 in the nation above the likes of USC, Florida St, and Michigan? xrulesx
Seems a tad suspect...don't you think?No, I don't think that is suspect but I don't use the BCS rankings anyway. I use the MOV rankings and Neb-Omaha is #75.

Massey is at least as good as Sagarin when it comes to computer ratings. xnodx Better IMO because he applies his ratings to all teams and opponents of the FCS. Sagarin only does D-I teams. Ask Sag how Neb-Omaha rates and he'll say all teams that are not D-I rate the same. xrolleyesx

D1B
October 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM
NDSU's fullback is awesome. Way faster than Minny's D-backs.xeekx

unigriff
October 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
after the last two weeks of shutting down Power Rushing schools in SIU, and WIU.....UNI has the top rush defense IMO in the country...

pantherfan
October 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM

Sag Rankings

SHSU - 164
MVSU - 207
Davidson - 210
SFA - 220

"MVSU and SFA would probably lose to Drake"...sure about that?

SFA and MVSU are terrible; Drake isn't much better. The point was that discrediting Drake simply because they are "non-scholly" is a ridiculous argument. xcoffeex And yes, both of those schools are on Drake's level or below, if you're still wondering.

nmatsen
October 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Southern Utah @ home
Ill St @ home
Cal-Poly away
SDSU away

It looks like the SDSU game might be our only other opportunity to compare teams again this year (as far as being home or away and stuff). Unfortunately that , I believe, is a rivalry game for you. That might scew (sp?) the results of your game against SDSU. Either for you or against you.

Hammersmith
October 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM
It looks like the SDSU game might be our only other opportunity to compare teams again this year (as far as being home or away and stuff). Unfortunately that , I believe, is a rivalry game for you. That might scew (sp?) the results of your game against SDSU. Either for you or against you.

NDSU at WIU: NDSU by 13
UNI at WIU: UNI by 39

NDSU at SDSU: TBD (17 Nov)
UNI at SDSU: UNI by 14

SUU at NDSU: TBD (27 Oct)
SUU at UNI: TBD (17 Nov)

ILSU at NDSU: TBD (3 Nov)
UNI at ILSU: UNI by 10

At the end of the season, there'll be a lot of meat available for a discussion of who deserves to be #1(assuming both win out). Only the Illinois State game is different for home/away. It looks like the two teams are close enough that both sides will have valid arguments.

JALMOND
October 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM

Forget Minnesota. That's the matchup that should have been in the Metrodome.

FargoBison
October 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM

At the end of the season, there'll be a lot of meat available for a discussion of who deserves to be #1(assuming both win out). Only the Illinois State game is different for home/away. It looks like the two teams are close enough that both sides will have valid arguments.

Please, comparing score is dumb and in my opinion a poor judge in who is better. The ony way that can be settled is head to head and play unfortunately that can't happen, so for the time being NDSU and UNI are both co #1's IMO.

birdbrain
October 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM

At the end of the season, there'll be a lot of meat available for a discussion of who deserves to be #1(assuming both win out). Only the Illinois State game is different for home/away. It looks like the two teams are close enough that both sides will have valid arguments.Can't wait until NDSU comes to Normal, but go ahead and compare your home game with UNI coming here. xlolx Can't wait for the FarAwayGo Dome. xlolx xlolx

FargoBison
October 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
I would agree with you.

But last season during the playoffs, it was from NDSU fans. And I promise you if you are 11-0 this season, it will happen again, and it will be even worse.

Nope it was other fans last season as well. This is pissing me off more then anything. People can bash our schedule and some other things but NDSU believes in earning the title of best in the playoffs not by some mythical title. If people want to say NDSU is the best team in the FCS then fine but for the most part it won't be Bison fans saying that.

birdbrain
October 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Please, comparing score is dumb and in my opinion a poor judge in who is better. The ony way that can be settled is head to head and play unfortunately that can't happen, so for the time being NDSU and UNI are both co #1's IMO.Co-#1s??? 28 coaches say NDSU is #1 with the same amount of #1 votes as Montana. xlolx Sports Network, AGS and the GPI all say UNI is #1. But go ahead and celebrate and see you in a couple weeks. xnodx

FargoBison
October 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM

A 4-4 team in the MAC wouldn't finish in the top half of the Gateway? BS, pure BS. In my book that win is on par with beating SIU.

Hammersmith
October 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Please, comparing score is dumb and in my opinion a poor judge in who is better. The ony way that can be settled is head to head and play unfortunately that can't happen, so for the time being NDSU and UNI are both co #1's IMO.

Normally I agree, but it's rare that you get two teams that don't play each other and still have four common opponents. One game is a snapshot, four is over a third of the season. Besides, mostly I was just trying to correct other posters on the thread that kept getting the facts wrong. First it was one common opponent, then it was three but only one was in the same location. I figure if people are going to debate, they might as well use the correct facts.

Mountain Panther
October 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Any idea where I can find some good pics of NDSU/UM? Was going to set the DVR to record the Big 10 Network but forgot.

FargoBison
October 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Normally I agree, but it's rare that you get two teams that don't play each other and still have four common opponents. One game is a snapshot, four is over a third of the season. Besides, mostly I was just trying to correct other posters on the thread that kept getting the facts wrong. First it was one common opponent, then it was three but only one was in the same location. I figure if people are going to debate, they might as well use the correct facts.

My comment wasn't really directed at you but more or less comparing scores in general. Having 4 to look at is rare but to me so many things can be different that it can get really questionable.

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM
on a personal note i believe they are both good teams and having never seen them have no idea who would be better

Reed Rothchild
October 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Any idea where I can find some good pics of NDSU/UM? Was going to set the DVR to record the Big 10 Network but forgot.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31385

semobison
October 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
The team that wins in Chattanooga will be crowned National Champions. The FCS doesnt decide the championship in the polls! If we run the table, all we will claim is a great undefeated season and a very high ranking. We still have some tough games ahead. Birdbrain, looking foreward to Nov. 3rd. I think you will see that our physical play will fit in nicely in the Gateway!

JBB
October 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
If NDSU finishes the season ranked #1 in the polls we will declare a National Championship by wire. This will in no way compromise the team that wins the playoff tournament, but it will recognize the achievement of the NDSU BISON.

Its an unfortunate, unintended consequence of the system.

Coach Bohl has also indicated that will be the case.

bisonguy
October 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM
If NDSU finishes the season ranked #1 in the polls we will declare a National Championship by wire. This will in no way compromise the team that wins the playoff tournament, but it will recognize the achievement of the NDSU BISON.

Coach Bohl NEVER stated that it would be anything remotely close to a "national championship by wire".

One of the team goals is to be ranked #1 in the nation, due to the fact that the team cannot participate in the playoffs. That's all there is to it, there's no mythical championship involved.

No_Skill
October 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM

Ummmmm, I think you may have read into the coach's comments a tad.

Show me in print where the coach said we will lay claim to the National Championship if we finish #1 in the polls.

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM

My Salukis are not ranked anymore??????????????????????????????
xconfusedx

semobison
October 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
JBB, where did you come up with coach Bohl claiming a wire championship? THE FCS championship will be claimed in Chattanooga!

JayJ79
October 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Forget Minnesota. That's the matchup that should have been in the Metrodome.

Nah, I always like seeing FCS teams put FBS teams in their place.
UNI/NDSU will be conference rivals and play yearly starting next year.

PantherRob82
October 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Stupidest arguement ever. Way to go Bison on the win, looking forward to your playoff elgibility and Gateway membership.

JayJ79
October 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM

they're replaying it tonight at 1 a.m. (central time). And probably a few other times this week.

No_Skill
October 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
they're replaying it tonight at 1 a.m. (central time). And probably a few other times this week.

Thanks for the heads up.

BisonBacker
October 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

It will be replayed several times over the week just look at the listings I'm sure you'll find it.

JBB
October 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Coach Bohl NEVER stated that it would be anything remotely close to a "national championship by wire".

One of the team goals is to be ranked #1 in the nation, due to the fact that the team cannot participate in the playoffs. That's all there is to it, there's no mythical championship involved.

He didnt use the term by wire but said it was the highest acheivment we could earn. If we finish #1 we are clearly viewed as the best team in the country. We wont win it in the playoffs and Im sure we wont make a claim but I do think you will see it in the record books as a #1 finish. We may say by wire or we may say finished #1 in the polls. You will see the asterisk*. It may make you uncomfortable, but its going to be noted in the record book.

* Not eligable for the playoffs etc

Ps. I wasnt uncomfortable with the GWFC Championship rings last season either.

Peems
October 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
He didnt use the term by wire but said it was the highest acheivment we could earn. If we finish #1 we are clearly viewed as the best team in the country. We wont win it in the playoffs and Im sure we wont make a claim but I do think you will see it in the record books as a #1 finish. We may say by wire or we may say finished #1 in the polls. You will see the asterisk*. It may make you uncomfortable, but its going to be noted in the record book.

* Not eligable for the playoffs etc

You may be #1 in the final regular season poll, but after the playoffs are over I more than likely suspect whoever wins the chipper will be #1 in the rankings.

JBB
October 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Probably right Peems, but...

No-Skill:

Ummmmm, I think you may have read into the coach's comments a tad.

Show me in print where the coach said we will lay claim to the National Championship if we finish #1 in the polls.

Heres the best I could do:

"We are craving national attention," Bohl said. "The NCAA isn't allowing us to play in the playoffs. We are going to do everything we can to continue to show people around the country that, in our division, we are the best in the country."

True, I may have expanded his thought.

spelunker64
October 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Probably right Peems, but...

No-Skill:

Heres the best I could do:

True, I grossly expanded his thought.

fixed it for ya...

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM

Not to throw fuel on the fire, and I certaintly don't agree with it, but Coach Bohl did say "We can win the Championship through a vote." You can listen for yourself at the link below. He makes this statement at the end of the clip, about 90% through the interview.

Coaches say a lot of things and in all the times I have heard Coach Bohl talk to the media (on his coaches shows, during pre and post game press conferences, etc) that was the first time that I have heard him say Championship. He has stated many times that his team's goal is to be ranked #1. I would have to hear him say it again, "Championship by vote", to really believe that he did not mis-speak and he really meant to be ranked #1. He does not agree with the 5 year wait either.

http://www.830wcco.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1078125

JBB
October 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the information. I digress to my original statement.

bisonguy
October 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Not to throw fuel on the fire, and I certaintly don't agree with it, but Coach Bohl did say "We can win the Championship through a vote." You can listen for yourself at the link below. He makes this statement at the end of the clip, about 90% through the interview.

Coaches say a lot of things and in all the times I have heard Coach Bohl talk to the media (on his coaches shows, during pre and post game press conferences, etc) that was the first time that I have heard him say Championship. He has stated many times that his team's goal is to be ranked #1. I would have to hear him say it again, "Championship by vote", to really believe that he did not mis-speak and he really meant to be ranked #1. He does not agree with the 5 year wait either.

http://www.830wcco.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1078125

Looks like I stand corrected. Actually, after hearing you state "win the Championship through a vote", I believe he may have stated that on another radio program previously. Something along the lines of, "We cannot win the championship through the playoffs, but we can win a championship through a vote".

JBB
October 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I support The Coach completely.

If we are ranked #1 at the end of the season we are the champions of the regular season. Thats my qualification, not The Coaches.

Pantherpower
October 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I support The Coach completely.

If we are ranked #1 at the end of the season we are the champions of the regular season. Thats my qualification, not The Coaches.

I'm excited to have the Bison join the Gateway next year. What a bloodbath it will be!

However, the only thing NDSU can be this year are champions of the GWFC. Nothing more. Not this year. This year, the Bison are putting everyone on notice that last year was no fluke and they will be a force to be reckoned with.

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm excited to have the Bison join the Gateway next year. What a bloodbath it will be!

However, the only thing NDSU can be this year are champions of the GWFC. Nothing more. Not this year. This year, the Bison are putting everyone on notice that last year was no fluke and they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I reckon we will have no choice but to reckon with it next year. I also reckon we will all be wreckin' each others chances for the playoffs. You reckon this was a good idea?
xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I could say things like "the Big 12 team we beat is better than the Big 10 team you beat" but I won't. Even though I think ISU would beat Minnesota and we beat ISU by more than top 5 Oklahoma. And please don't even act like your win over Central Michigan was worth anything, seriously, they gave up 70 today!

Central Michigan was a better win than Iowa St xeyebrowx
NDSU 44 - Central Michigan 14
Central Michigan 54 - Toledo 31
Toledo 36 - Iowa St 35

My AGS vote
1. UNI
2. Montana
3. NDSU :D

Pantherpower
October 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
To quote our new North Dakota brethern, "You betcha!";)

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Central Michigan was a better win than Iowa St xeyebrowx
NDSU 44 - Central Michigan 14
Central Michigan 54 - Toledo 31
Toledo 36 - Iowa St 35

My AGS vote
1. UNI
2. Montana
3. NDSU :D

My AGS vote
1. UNI
1.6 SIU
3. NDSU
:D

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
According to Massey who actually ranks all teams, Northern Iowa's opponents are rated better by average.

146 Iowa State (FBS)
87 Southern Illinois
127 Western Illinois
203 Illinois State
159 South Dakota State
238 Drake

114 Minnesota (FBS)
198 Sam Houston State
190 UC Davis
257 Stephen F. Austin
127 Western Illinois

We can play the Massy game. NDSU beat 3 teams rated in the top 130, Northern Iowa beat 2 teams rated in the top 130. xeyebrowx

I still have UNI #1 in my vote. :D

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
We can play the Massy game. NDSU beat 3 teams rated in the top 130, Northern Iowa beat 2 teams rated in the top 130. xeyebrowx

I still have UNI #1 in my vote. :D
Next year you get to meet on the field. After comparing your results against your only common opponent, WIU, I have to give UNI the nod.

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Next year you get to meet on the field. After comparing your results against your only common opponent, WIU, I have to give UNI the nod.

I am being sarcastic playing the matching score game. xeyebrowx

As you can see I have stated on 2 post, now 3 that I have UNI #1. xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I am being sarcastic playing the matching score game. xeyebrowx

As you can see I have stated on 2 post, now 3 that I have UNI #1. xthumbsupx
Me, too.
By six whole yards.
:(

Petrie Dish
October 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Me, too.
By six whole yards.
:(

And a lucky onside kick. ;)

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2007, 06:50 AM
The onside kick was not luck. It is something the Dawgs practice. They also succeeded with one against Northern Illinois. It is not an accident. In both cases, the ball went to an almost identical spot and Clayton Johnson came up with the ball.

Houndawg
October 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM

The on-side wasn't luck, but your bad clock management was. Like skinny said, they practice that play and used it to beat NIU also. In fact, the coaches warn the refs about how quick it hops up off the ground so that the refs don't mistakenly let someone fair catch.

Mountain Panther
October 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
My AGS vote
1. UNI
1.6 SIU
3. NDSU
:D

You are just seeng the number "6" everywhere, huh?

Petrie Dish
October 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I guess you guys missed the xrolleyesx .
It was a good play.

nmatsen
October 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Not that on-side kicks aren't a skill, they are. BUT whenever you are intentionally bouncing a ball off of the turf you would be crazy not to think that there is not "some" luck involved.

JBB
October 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
NDSU Coach Craig Bohl knows what the score is. An NDSU finish at #1 is well deserved if The BISON win out. Whats UNIs winning streak? Does it go back to a D2 loss last season. The last time NDSU lost to a D2 has to be 5 years ago.

The last BISON loss was the Minnesota Gophers, a Big Ten team.

When you have a team riding a winning streak like the BISON (longest in the nation for D1) and you are looking for reasons not to vote them #1, and they are playing a tough schedule, whats your motivation? Vote UNI #1 to be popular?

NDSU is #1 in the country. It wont be decided on the field. Thats too bad, but thats the way it is.

JBB
October 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Now that the preaching is over let’s take a look at the facts:

Take a look at the program if you want to see how its going to be handled by the NDSU Sports Information Department. Look on page 21 of the UCD game, our most recent program.

In 2006 they showed us finishing #5 under the column: Poll Rank. Under the next column: Playoff Finish they also show us ranked #5 with an asterisk (*).

*eligible for !-AA playoffs in 2008.

They did the same for 2005, except we weren't ranked in the top 25 and also 2004 when we finished 23rd in the polls.

Don't kid yourself. If we finish #1 you might see the ranking at the top under Bison National Titles.

If we finish #1, and the voters better vote their mind not their heart, its at least a share. For sure its an asterisk though.

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Not that on-side kicks aren't a skill, they are. BUT whenever you are intentionally bouncing a ball off of the turf you would be crazy not to think that there is not "some" luck involved.
We are 2 for 2 this year. Sure it's luck.
xsmiley_wix

JBB
October 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Well, Im just glad the Coach agrees with me. thanks for the respect BisonGuy. The others. Well ...... at least Kolpack agrees with me:

Two FBS wins -- one against the leader in the MAC and another against the Big Ten -- and two more wins against teams that appeared in this poll at one point in this season: If voters are truly honest with themselves, not sure how NDSU cannot get most if not all of the first place votes.
Here is my weekly ballot:
1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa

Houndawg
October 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Well, Im just glad the Coach agrees with me. thanks for the respect BisonGuy. The others. Well ...... at least Kolpack agrees with me:

Two FBS wins -- one against the leader in the MAC and another against the Big Ten -- and two more wins against teams that appeared in this poll at one point in this season: If voters are truly honest with themselves, not sure how NDSU cannot get most if not all of the first place votes.
Here is my weekly ballot:
1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa

You can tell yourself that while you're watching the FCS championship on TV with the rest of the wouldabeens.

JBB
October 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM
You can tell yourself that while you're watching the FCS championship on TV with the rest of the wouldabeens.

We will just take the asterisk, thank you. #1*

*not playoff eligible until 2008.

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM

*not playoff eligible until 2008.and the #1*+#$

*not playoff eligible until 2008
+did not defeat any playoff teams
# No. 1 in a regular season poll of 28 coaches, not No. 1 in the Sports Network or AGS polls or the GPI
$not the D-I national champion

xlmaox

(no offense to real Bison fans)

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM
and the #1*+#$

# No. 1 in a regular season poll of 28 coaches, not No. 1 in the Sports Network or AGS polls or the GPI

xlmaox

(no offense to real Bison fans)

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

JBB
October 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM
This is from Jeff Kolpack. Fargo Forum Guru of FCS football and local beat reporter. For this week?

My vote this week ..
1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa

It mirrors my #1 &#2.

uofmman1122
October 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
and the #1*+#$

xlmaox

(no offense to real Bison fans)xlolx xlolx xlolx

BTW, lighten up Bison fans. For every time you guys claim to be #1, there will always be someone who's going to throw something back at you. xpeacex

Gil Dobie
October 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

BTW, lighten up Bison fans. For every time you guys claim to be #1, there will always be someone who's going to throw something back at you. xpeacex

Even when you don't claim you are number 1, you get it from the haters.

Syntax Error
October 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
*not playoff eligible until 2008.
Even when you don't claim you are number 1, you get it from the haters.Ahhhhhhhhh, now when you say you are #1 and someone funs with you, you lable them haters huh? I see "Bison-Envy" coming next! xoopsx ;) :p xlolx

No_Skill
October 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM

You're a tough one to figure out Gil. Don't you have it like this?

1. UNI
2. Montana
3. NDSU

What's up with that?

Gil Dobie
October 29th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Top 5 could probably go in any order. I'm not convinced that the Bison defense is as good as last year. Therefore #3 ranking.

friederr
October 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
UNI #1

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, now when you say you are #1 and someone funs with you, you lable them haters huh? I see "Bison-Envy" coming next! xoopsx ;) :p xlolx
They will claim that we have an anti "no coast bias".:D