PDA

View Full Version : ASU 2007 vs. 2006

Saint3333
October 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM
The biggest difference are the injuries and the turnover battle. ASU was very fortunate in 2005 & 2006 with few injuries. But the bigger difference is seen in the turnover battle. In both losses we were -2 in the turnover category where last year (and 2005) we seemed to be an opportunistic defense always winning this battle. I thought our young d-line was turning the corner, but after today's senior ladden GSU o-line handled our boys I was wrong.

I believe Wofford would also attest to this after today.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
correct me if i am wrong but i believe we were in the negative numbers for turnovers for the entire year as a whole last year

Saint3333
October 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM
+8 in 2005, -1 in 2006, opposed to -4 through half of 2007.

It all starts with getting pressure from the front 4, which helps create the turnovers, something which is down in 2007.

texcap
October 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM
The biggest difference are the injuries and the turnover battle. ASU was very fortunate in 2005 & 2006 with few injuries. But the bigger difference is seen in the turnover battle. In both losses we were -2 in the turnover category where last year (and 2005) we seemed to be an opportunistic defense always winning this battle. I thought our young d-line was turning the corner, but after today's senior ladden GSU o-line handled our boys I was wrong.

I believe Wofford would also attest to this after today.

I couldn't agree with you more on this point. I was looking at the 2005 season review in the 2006 ASU media guide on Thursday. What jumped out to me was on page 95 (page 7 0f 26 in this link: http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/p6P30mS.pdf was the fact that in every game that year the starter was the same in 15 of 22 position on O and D.

It is almost unheard of that a team goes 15 games with that many positions being started by the same guy.

2006 was not as good on offense, but actually better on defense. 8 of 11 positions had the same starter in every game and one of the other positions had the same starter for the last 14 games.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Wofford, El Cid, GSU and most of all Elon are better than last year. I wouldn't be so fast to call your team worse... IMO the SoFCon is way better in 2007.

proasu89
October 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
Wofford, El Cid, GSU and most of all Elon are better than last year. I wouldn't be so fast to call your team worse... IMO the SoFCon is way better in 2007.

The SoCon is BETTER this year, but our defense is two steps behind last year and looks a lot like the defense of 2004

ncman071
October 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
our D line is definitly young and it showed against GSU. although, the seconds half they actually played well defensively only giving up 7 opposed to 31 in the first half. i noticed in the second our d lineman were staying at home a lot more and not over pursuing and finally containing the athletic anomily known as jayson foster

AppMan
October 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM

The lack of a dominating player and injuries on the D-line are killing us. Tharrington looked to be that guy, but seems to get hurt every week. The kid could barely walk by the end of the game yesterday. Robertson & Washington have been HUGE disappointments and the young kids just don't have the experience. As of now we have zero pass rush. No matter how good the secondary is you give a good QB time and he will find and open target. LB's are excellent, but not when the O-line is on them all day. ASU's O-line has been decimated with injuries. Acitelli's broken leg yesterday makes a bad situation even worse. What happened to all those young linemen who were good enough to start last year? Edward's arm strength doesn't appear to be there. The early pick and return for TD was served up on a platter. Terrible throw on an out route. He threw into double & triple coverage numerous times, but my goodness the kid can run.

Don't know if our kids have fully recovered - mentally - from the Michigan win. Hard to figure how that is affecting the kids. Tons of pressure on them following that game.

terrierbob
October 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
I was pretty happy with the way our D played yesterday. But, like Saint said, turnovers killed us. We either had 4 or 5. Hope we got it out of our system. Thursday will be here in no time.

gvilleapp
October 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
+8 in 2005, -1 in 2006, opposed to -4 through half of 2007.

It all starts with getting pressure from the front 4, which helps create the turnovers, something which is down in 2007.
I wonder what our season would look like if the DE kid from Vanderbilt was on the roster this season? Sounds like he is an excellent pass rusher, something we have missed from our DE's so far this year. Anybody know if he is in school and on track to join the team next year?

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
App's biggest issue this year is not talent, it's experience.

I think we have the talent to win out and make the playoffs this year, we'll see if we have the ability to learn from games like this GSU and Wofford and get better.

After this year, we lose some key players (K-Rich, Hans, Corey, Trey, Julian, etc), but we have some really good freshmen and sophomores-- a lot of whom are already getting significant playing time.

I have a lot of faith in the rest of this year, and for the next couple of seasons too. Let's not jump off the bandwagon because we've lost a couple of closely-fought games to quality teams. We're going to be fine.

parr90
October 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Turnovers are part of the game. People dont realize that turnovers, though some being just plain gifts, are forced by pressure. Some turnovers are take-aways. Pressure isnt always a guy getting close to sacking the QB either. Pressure can be a defense flying around the ball every play and causing confusion, which is also pressure.

Apps D may not be as good as the one last year. Many teams can say that. The Socon may be much better this year. GSU has been in shambles over the last 2 years with 3 different coaching staffs. I think App has built a great football program. Its hard to lose when you have been so successful. We know the feeling at Georgia Southern. Im just glad to see us looking better.