PDA

View Full Version : #21 North Dakota (3-2) at Youngstown State (2-2)

BeamMeUp
October 5th, 2022, 06:57 PM
The 3-2 Fighting Hawks of North Dakota make their first trip to Stambaugh Stadium to take on 2-2 Youngstown State. In last year's meeting in Grand Forks, YSU blew a 21-10 4th Quarter lead with 10 minutes to go as UND scored 2 late TD's to win 24-21. From what was posted on the UND forum, YSU opened up as a -1.5 pt favorite. Massey has it UND by 1. Sagarin has it YSU by 2. Needless to say this should be a close contest under the lights.

UND is coming off an impressive victory over previous #7 Missouri State 48-31. They outscored the Bears 38-10 after falling behind 21-10 early in the contest. YSU is coming off a 27-14 loss at #1 North Dakota State. The Penguins never really threatened NDSU, but kept it respectable and held NDSU to just two 2nd half FG's.

YSU has a QB contest up for grabs. The starter thru the 1st four games (Crenshaw) has not been very good (outside of 5 passing TD game performance vs. Duquesne). He did little against Kentucky and was just plain bad in the first half in Fargo before getting benched. He has the reputation of being a mobile QB, but this season that is far from the case which is a head scratcher. Through 4 games, Crenshaw has rushed it just 24 times for 44 yards and 1 TD. Last season, Crenshaw rushed it 132 times for 599 yards and 7 TD's. Either the offensive staff is completely in over their heads or there are other issues with Crenshaw preventing him from rushing the ball. The bottom line is if they aren't going to run him (or he can't run), then he does not give us any chance to win against the mid-to-upper tier of this league. I expect Mitch Davidson to start on Saturday night. Mitch opens up the pass game a bit, but it comes at a price... his accuracy. NDSU dropped two pick-sixes last week that would have changed our opinion of his performance. However, he jumpstarted our offensive and helped cut the deficit to 24-14 with 4 minutes to go last week. With a full week of practice under his belt with the #1's, I hope the offensive staff gives him the right plays to allow him to succeed.

Go Guins!

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2022, 09:20 PM
Game notes are out and they show Crenshaw starting. We will see. This is a coin flip game. However UND has no problem at QB where they have a decent one. Should YSU fail to get a lot of DL pressure on him, he will pick our soft zone apart. YSU shows a decent D and should control UNDs run game.

I haven’t made a pick yet. Toss up game.

penguinpower
October 5th, 2022, 10:25 PM
The 3-2 Fighting Hawks of North Dakota make their first trip to Stambaugh Stadium to take on 2-2 Youngstown State. In last year's meeting in Grand Forks, YSU blew a 21-10 4th Quarter lead with 10 minutes to go as UND scored 2 late TD's to win 24-21. From what was posted on the UND forum, YSU opened up as a -1.5 pt favorite. Massey has it UND by 1. Sagarin has it YSU by 2. Needless to say this should be a close contest under the lights.

UND is coming off an impressive victory over previous #7 Missouri State 48-31. They outscored the Bears 38-10 after falling behind 21-10 early in the contest. YSU is coming off a 27-14 loss at #1 North Dakota State. The Penguins never really threatened NDSU, but kept it respectable and held NDSU to just two 2nd half FG's.

YSU has a QB contest up for grabs. The starter thru the 1st four games (Crenshaw) has not been very good (outside of 5 passing TD game performance vs. Duquesne). He did little against Kentucky and was just plain bad in the first half in Fargo before getting benched. He has the reputation of being a mobile QB, but this season that is far from the case which is a head scratcher. Through 4 games, Crenshaw has rushed it just 24 times for 44 yards and 1 TD. Last season, Crenshaw rushed it 132 times for 599 yards and 7 TD's. Either the offensive staff is completely in over their heads or there are other issues with Crenshaw preventing him from rushing the ball. The bottom line is if they aren't going to run him (or he can't run), then he does not give us any chance to win against the mid-to-upper tier of this league. I expect Mitch Davidson to start on Saturday night. Mitch opens up the pass game a bit, but it comes at a price... his accuracy. NDSU dropped two pick-sixes last week that would have changed our opinion of his performance. However, he jumpstarted our offensive and helped cut the deficit to 24-14 with 4 minutes to go last week. With a full week of practice under his belt with the #1's, I hope the offensive staff gives him the right plays to allow him to succeed.

Go Guins!

Hamstring injury

BeamMeUp
October 6th, 2022, 05:33 AM
YSU Beat Reporter Article:
https://www.vindy.com/sports/2022/10/ysu-scouting-report-north-dakota/

wapiti
October 6th, 2022, 09:14 AM
The winner of this has a much easier path to the playoffs.

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2022, 09:38 AM
The winner of this has a much easier path to the playoffs.
YSU might have the easier path regardless. UND still has to play NDSU and SDSU while YSU has already played NDSU and doesn't play SDSU this year. YSU could survive a loss in this one and still pretty reasonably get to 7-4. If UND loses their playoff hopes are in trouble since they'd have to split vs NDSU and SDSU and win the rest. Although I can see your point where if UND wins all they need is home wins over USD and ACU and a road win over Indiana St to get to at least 7-4.

I don't think the MVFC is strong enough to get a 6-5 team in this year unless it's a historically weak playoff bubble.

F'N Hawks
October 6th, 2022, 11:07 AM
Like you guys said, very big game for both teams! I think they are very evenly matched - going to come down to a few big plays! Jaleel worries me quite a bit.

Chalupa Batman
October 6th, 2022, 12:19 PM
YSU might have the easier path regardless. UND still has to play NDSU and SDSU while YSU has already played NDSU and doesn't play SDSU this year. YSU could survive a loss in this one and still pretty reasonably get to 7-4. If UND loses their playoff hopes are in trouble since they'd have to split vs NDSU and SDSU and win the rest. Although I can see your point where if UND wins all they need is home wins over USD and ACU and a road win over Indiana St to get to at least 7-4.

I don't think the MVFC is strong enough to get a 6-5 team in this year unless it's a historically weak playoff bubble.

UND does play SDSU in Grand Forks, where they are much better. They also have a bye the week before that game while the Jacks will be up in Fargo playing what is always a real physical game with the Bison.

POD Knows
October 7th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Interesting stat, since joining the MVFC, UND has won ONE road game against conference opponents and that was over WIU. That stat ends this weekend as they roll YSU

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Interesting stat, since joining the MVFC, UND has won ONE road game against conference opponents and that was over WIU. That stat ends this weekend as they roll YSU

I look for a close game, POD. I’m picking UND. They have a superior QB over YSU who has none. While YSU D is improved and will stuff the run, they have no pass rush and the secondary will get picked apart. Expect them to target Jaleel and give him 100 yds but few scores.

BeamMeUp
October 7th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Until Crenshaw heals from the rumored hamstring injury, I believe Youngstown State should (and will) start Mitch Davidson at QB. Now I am not going to sugarcoat his abilities (average), but I feel he gives YSU the best chance to have some success throwing the ball and sustaining drives, which in turn will keep our defense off the field and much more fresh. This game has the makings of being a tight one to the very end.

I think this game comes down to turnovers. UND is probably the better team, but they have had issues playing on the road in league play thus far. Furthermore, they have never played in Stambaugh, not that I expect many fans with the cold. I think the computers having this within a field goal either way are about right.

Go YSU

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:06 PM
MD starts at QB. Guins ball but must punt. Slow start.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 05:14 PM
This game is going to be a blow out. UND is going to have receivers running free on that secondary all game long and Schuster almost never takes a sack.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:15 PM
UND scores first, 7-0. They have a QB. We don’t.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:21 PM
YSU hits a 48 yd FG. 7-3 UND.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:28 PM
Hawks hit a 32 yd TD. 14-3.

Gil Dobie
October 8th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Black pants, Ugh.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:40 PM
YSU hits another FG. 14-6 Hawks

skinny_uncle
October 8th, 2022, 05:45 PM
This game is going to be a blow out. UND is going to have receivers running free on that secondary all game long and Schuster almost never takes a sack.

Did he not get sacked 7 times by SIU?

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 05:57 PM
YSU TD pass and 2 pt conversion. 14 all

Tomczak with great catch.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 06:00 PM
UNDs offense fascinates me, I don’t think a ball ever comes out their QBs hand at over 30 mph but he completes over 70% of his throws. Really accurate and a soft ball to catch.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 06:10 PM
Hawks TD run. 21-14 Hawks.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Did he not get sacked 7 times by SIU?
Yea but I think he got sacked like 8 times all of last year. The SIU game was kind of an anomaly, he gets rid of the ball in a hurry normally.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 06:20 PM
YSU TD pass. 21 all. 6 seconds left in 1st half.

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 06:28 PM
Incredibly poor defensive half by YSU, but quite frankly both squads. The decision by Phillips to start Davidson has been key to YSU keeping this a tie game at half. 9 of 13 for 144 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The defense needs to get some stops in the 2nd half and it must start on the first drive of the 2nd half. UND runs a quality offense with a lot of high percentage gainers and they are running it to near perfection. YSU needs to get some pressure on the QB and when UND runs the ball, keep them from getting big gains.

Huge 2nd half ahead for this YSU program....

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 06:56 PM
YSU FG. YSU 24-21

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 07:05 PM
Hawks miss a FG . Still YSU 24-21

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 07:06 PM
UND misses a field goal opportunity wide left. YSU still leads 24-21... YSU's bend but don't break defense has held UND to two scoreless 3Q possessions. Need a TD here.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 07:14 PM
YSU misses a FG. Still 24-21

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Hideous PI call against YSU.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Hawks run for TD. Hawks 28-24

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 07:40 PM
UND blocks a punt after YSU's punter drops it... UND 35-24. Wow

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 07:42 PM
Hawks block a punt and run it for a TD. Hawks 35-24

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 07:50 PM
YSU responds after converting 4th and 5 deep in their own territory. 2pt no good.

UND leads 35-30
5:49 left

YSU has all 3 timeouts.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 07:52 PM
WTF were they doing on that kick off. Damn it.

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 07:53 PM
YSU special teams are killing them in the second half

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 07:57 PM
YSU forces a punt, which was not good. YSU ball 3:54 left own 45 yard line

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 08:00 PM
JFC. Just. Watch. They will run out of time

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 08:05 PM
UND holds YSU on 4th and 15... Tough loss for YSU in a game they had every opportunity to win. However, this program still has a ways to go... Disappointing loss.

Paladin1aa
Hawks win 35-30

POD Knows
UND played aggressive on D and got it done 99 percent of teams sit back
and let teams pick them apart. Screw the prevent D.

penguinpower
October 8th, 2022, 08:08 PM
That was targeting on the QB if you ask me, but special teams cost YSU the game

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 08:09 PM
On a side note , I picked UND to win tonite in a close one. So there is that.

Honestly, as I said before, they will win 4 games with a shot at winning 5.

But not tonite.

penguinpower
October 8th, 2022, 08:13 PM
YSU special teams are killing them in the second half

I agree. That's the story of the game. It seems though, YSU tends to get 1 or 2 bad calls a game. I understand that it's difficult to be a referee, but that DPI call was complete bull**** and it seemed to be the turning point in the game.

BeamMeUp
October 8th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Outgained them 458-385 yards...

Difference
UND - 1 FG attempt... which was missed.
YSU - 4 FG attempts... made 3/4.

Need to finish drives. Unacceptable loss.

semobison
October 8th, 2022, 08:52 PM
Early 4th quarter YTown looks like their going down the field to take a two score lead. Questionable offense, a missed FG, a blocked punt returned for a TD and they still had a chance at the end. McLaughin was nowhere to be found in the 4th qtr and UND had no answer for him! C’mon Man!

POD Knows
October 8th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Early 4th quarter YTown looks like their going down the field to take a two score lead. Questionable offense, a missed FG, a blocked punt returned for a TD and they still had a chance at the end. McLaughin was nowhere to be found in the 4th qtr and UND had no answer for him! C’mon Man!Yea, he was invisible, Christ, throw him a pass in space someplace.

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2022, 08:59 PM
Early 4th quarter YTown looks like their going down the field to take a two score lead. Questionable offense, a missed FG, a blocked punt returned for a TD and they still had a chance at the end. McLaughin was nowhere to be found in the 4th qtr and UND had no answer for him! C’mon Man!

We have an inept AD who refuses to hire competent coaches. Winning FB games is not a high priority.

F'N Hawks
October 8th, 2022, 10:57 PM
That was a wild game man. YSU is a good football team, either team could've won it and UND got lucky with the punter dropping the snap. Very entertaining football on display, lots of big plays.

Paladin1aa
October 9th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Oh, almost forgot, congrats to the Hawks. Made plays when you needed to.

On another note, reading the cheerleader board is continuing the ongoing comedy at YSU. Been telling you for 20 years you hired and kept the wrong idiot at AD while he systematically killed FB, MBB and WBB. Nothing changes till he is gone.

I fail to understand how dumb people can be watching it unfold before your eyes, you blink and miss it all.

There is always next year. 🤓

ysubigred
October 10th, 2022, 06:24 PM
8-3 won't be to bad of a finish...

Go guinsss..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk