PDA

View Full Version : JSU beats TTU

Cocky
October 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
JSU wins 38-10 over Tenn Tech. Now we are 5-3.

JaxSinfonian
October 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Six turnovers from TTU, and lousy punting from both teams, including a blocked Jax State punt that Tech turned into their only touchdown of the night.

Lee Sweeny, The Eagles' original starting QB this season, was back for much of the game, but was pulled late in the third in favor of Steven Brown, a converted receiver and the son of coach Watson Brown. He showed flashes of talent, but TTU's not going to get far this season if he takes many snaps.

JSU looked OK in most phases of the game (save punting), though Cedric Johnson did not put on the show he did last week at Austin Peay.

Now we get a week off to rest and then it's off to "Paul Snow Stadium West" to kick Samford on their way out the door.

Maroons
October 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Congrats, JSU. It sounds like TTU's QB situation is still very much in the air. Of course, the Golden Eagles have plenty of time to heal up before their regular-season-ending game against EKU in Richmond.

Do you all agree that there weren't really any surprises this week in the OVC? Murray over SEMO, JSU over TTU, Austin Peay over Samford, EIU over UTM, EKU over Tenn. State.

The interesting question for me is will more than one OVC team be ranked at the end of the season... and where?

JaxSinfonian
October 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
EIU may very well climb back into the top 25 after winning this weekend, though squeaking by Martin isn't all that impressive a feat. The Panthers are currently the first team out of the Sports Network top 25. If they win out (and I certainly hope they lose one game in particular Nov. 10), they could be up to #20 or a bit higher. It would depend on what happens to other teams around the country, but a ranked 8-3 EIU team with losses to Purdue, EKU and Illinois State might have an outside shot at an at-large bid.

If Jax State wins out in convincing fashion we may make our first appearance in the polls this season. But we'll need to demolish all three opponents (Samford, EIU and SEMO), and even then it would be the last week of the season. Maybe if a lot of other bubble teams lose this week and the next, a big win over Samford will sneak us in sooner and let us climb a bit. Even if all that happens, I think the loss to Alabama State would keep a #20-25 8-3 Jax State team out of the playoffs (also lost to EKU and Memphis).

No other league teams have a realistic shot at being ranked.

EIU is probably our best hope at getting a second OVC team in the playoffs, and it's a faint hope at that. EKU is looking very strong, and is the best contender in a long while to bring the league a playoff victory.

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
It it comes down to JSU and EIU only having losses to EKU at the end of the season, I can see either team finishing in the rankings pending the outcome of that game. However, I believe a second bid for the OVC this year is entirely out of the question unless the title races in the CAA and the SoCon get so muddled that each of those conferences is held to 1-2 teams.

TTUEagles
October 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
TTU has been snake-bitten this year with the health of the QB's...JSU was obviously better and seemed a step faster than TTU, nearly everywhere - it seemed to me...TTU is struggling (what's new?) and may find their last win next week against Samford at home (Auburn! and EKU to end the season). Once again, it's tough to be a TTU fan...Why me?

Maroons
October 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
TTU has been snake-bitten this year with the health of the QB's...JSU was obviously better and seemed a step faster than TTU, nearly everywhere - it seemed to me...TTU is struggling (what's new?) and may find their last win next week against Samford at home (Auburn! and EKU to end the season). Once again, it's tough to be a TTU fan...Why me?

There is always Basketball season in Cookeville! TTU seems to post the best non-conference wins annually in that sport at least. xthumbsupx

Golden Eagle
October 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
You got me all fired up Maroons.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
EIU may very well climb back into the top 25 after winning this weekend, though squeaking by Martin isn't all that impressive a feat. The Panthers are currently the first team out of the Sports Network top 25. If they win out (and I certainly hope they lose one game in particular Nov. 10), they could be up to #20 or a bit higher. It would depend on what happens to other teams around the country, but a ranked 8-3 EIU team with losses to Purdue, EKU and Illinois State might have an outside shot at an at-large bid.

If Jax State wins out in convincing fashion we may make our first appearance in the polls this season. But we'll need to demolish all three opponents (Samford, EIU and SEMO), and even then it would be the last week of the season. Maybe if a lot of other bubble teams lose this week and the next, a big win over Samford will sneak us in sooner and let us climb a bit. Even if all that happens, I think the loss to Alabama State would keep a #20-25 8-3 Jax State team out of the playoffs (also lost to EKU and Memphis).

No other league teams have a realistic shot at being ranked.

EIU is probably our best hope at getting a second OVC team in the playoffs, and it's a faint hope at that. EKU is looking very strong, and is the best contender in a long while to bring the league a playoff victory.

Why so down on your team? I think if your Jax State Gamecocks go 8-3 you definitely have a shot. Your best quality win would come against Eastern Illinois, but it would still mean something. You'd have losses to an FBS team, a ranked EKU team, and even the loss against 4-3 Alabama State isn't awful.

With YSU and Cal Poly losing, there might be two more slots opening up that weren't there last week....

Maroons
October 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
You got me all fired up Maroons.

In what way? xwhistlex :o

Cocky
October 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
You'd have losses to an FBS team, a ranked EKU team, and even the loss against 4-3 Alabama State isn't awful.

The ASU loss was awful. Our coach played loyalty over the best player at QB and caused us to lose. We might have won the EKU game if the real starting QB had gotten most of the snaps in practice and had a few starts under his belt before the game.

We are playing close to top 25 ball. We could be competive with all but the top 5 or 6 teams.

JaxSinfonian
October 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Why so down on your team? I think if your Jax State Gamecocks go 8-3 you definitely have a shot. Your best quality win would come against Eastern Illinois, but it would still mean something. You'd have losses to an FBS team, a ranked EKU team, and even the loss against 4-3 Alabama State isn't awful.

Perhaps you're right, LFN. Guess it's just a bit of self-protective pessimism on my part. That, and I saw first-hand they way we played the first few games of the season. It sure looked then like it was going to be a long autumn. Anyway, I'm not going to get my hopes up about the playoffs, but I'll be there cheering all the way. Right now I'm just focused on getting as much enjoyment as possible out of seeing Samford stomped next week.

By the way, this past weekend was homecoming at Jax State. We honored the 1977 Gamecocks who were the runners-up to Lehigh in the D-II championship game at Wichita Falls, Texas. My media guide tells me the Engineers had the benefit of six Gamecock turnovers that day. Consider the six this year's squad stripped from TTU on Saturday a tribute to the 1977 champs.