PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-3

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2022, 08:43 PM
September is gone and now it is October and it is time for get serious. Most teams will be playing conference games only from now until the end of the season so each game is important. Teams in the basement look to play spoiler and teams at the top look to improve on their playoff possibilities. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Montana, Idaho and UC Davis are all taking this week off, but everyone else plays.

1. Montana (1)---Last week, won at Idaho State 28-20, this week bye---After steamrolling their opposition in their first four games, the Grizzlies showed how difficult it is to get a conference road win here with them playing the bottom tier and having to work (somewhat) for the win. But a win is a win and a win on the road is great. They take this week off to prepare to welcome the conference upstart in two weeks.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week bye, this week Eastern Washington at home---Undefeated and undeterred, the Wildcats have laid claim to being the second best football team in the state of Utah, and has a conference road win over a good opponent. With two weeks to prepare, the Wildcats have a tough test coming up this week with an Eastern Washington team looking to make a statement.

3. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 49-21, this week Northern Colorado at home---A letdown? Surely you jest! The Hornets are for real this year after putting last week's game over in a hurry. Eager to stay at the top of the conference, they have another team from the lower depths of the conference. Tough games are coming up soon so they have to remain focused.

4. Montana State (4)---Last week, beat UC Davis at home 41-24, this week Idaho State at home---National television in Bozeman last week and it did not deter the Bobcats from coming up with an impressive home win, after ESPN finally turned the game on. This week looks like a gimme on paper, but the Bobcats have to keep their focus and not let anyone steal a game from them.

5. Idaho (6)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 55-35, this week bye---The Vandals head into the bye week feeling pretty good about their situation. Good showings against Power 5 opponents in their money games, then looking very fine against their FCS opponents so far have people thinking good things about them this year. The question, however, are they for real?

6. UC Davis (5)---Last week, lost at Montana State 41-24, this week bye---By contrast from the Vandals' situation, the Aggies are probably looking forward to the week off. Close losses early on may have taken its toll on the psyche of the team and after getting a lead early on last week, the Aggies could not come through. The schedule gets a bit easier but is it too late?

7. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week, lost at Florida (FBS SEC) 52-17, this week at Weber State---Another money game against a strong Power 5 opponent and a tough lopsided defeat. Also, with it rescheduled to Sunday, the Eagles end up with a short week to get ready for what might be a must win in order to salvage the season. Where do they go from here?

8. Portland State (9)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 35-27, this week Lincoln (CA) (NAIA) at home---The Vikings got a convincing win in their home opener last week and get to stay at home this weekend, venturing out of conference this weekend by bringing in the traveling circus to their home field. On paper this should be an easy win, and it probably will be.

9. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week, lost at Portland State 35-27, this week Cal Poly at home---The good news so far this season for the Lumberjacks is that they have a road win against Sam Houston. But other than that, the season has been tough, with a home loss to an equitable conference opponent followed by a road loss to another equitable conference opponent. They need this game coming up.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, lost at Idaho 55-35, this week at Sacramento State---The Bears season is slowing slipping away after falling apart in the second half of the game last week. Things are not looking to get any easier any time soon as the upper elite teams will come calling. The Bears can play spoiler, but that might be the best to hope for.

11. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost to Montana at home 28-20, this week at Montana State---No one gave the Bengals any chance last week, but they gave the top team a mild scare, keeping the game close throughout, something that hadn't been done this year. That should give them a good feeling as they hit the road to possibly throw a scare in the other Montana team.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 49-21, this week at Northern Arizona--- There will be games coming up for the Mustangs to get a win somehow. Last week was not one of them and the Mustangs were slow coming out of the game. This week may not be one of them either, going on the road to play an upset conference opponent.

RECAP: 1-4 at the top, 5-7 just behind them, 8-9 clinging to hope, 10-12 fading.

VandalBasher
October 3rd, 2022, 10:07 PM
Considering Idaho was picked in the Preseason Coach’s Poll 8th and Media Poll 9th, this is a good showing from this Vandal squad.

wapiti
October 4th, 2022, 09:18 AM
September is gone and now it is October and it is time for get serious. Most teams will be playing conference games only from now until the end of the season so each game is important. Teams in the basement look to play spoiler and teams at the top look to improve on their playoff possibilities. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Montana, Idaho and UC Davis are all taking this week off, but everyone else plays.

1. Montana (1)---Last week, won at Idaho State 28-20, this week bye---After steamrolling their opposition in their first four games, the Grizzlies showed how difficult it is to get a conference road win here with them playing the bottom tier and having to work (somewhat) for the win. But a win is a win and a win on the road is great. They take this week off to prepare to welcome the conference upstart in two weeks.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week bye, this week Eastern Washington at home---Undefeated and undeterred, the Wildcats have laid claim to being the second best football team in the state of Utah, and has a conference road win over a good opponent. With two weeks to prepare, the Wildcats have a tough test coming up this week with an Eastern Washington team looking to make a statement.

3. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 49-21, this week Northern Colorado at home---A letdown? Surely you jest! The Hornets are for real this year after putting last week's game over in a hurry. Eager to stay at the top of the conference, they have another team from the lower depths of the conference. Tough games are coming up soon so they have to remain focused.

4. Montana State (4)---Last week, beat UC Davis at home 41-24, this week Idaho State at home---National television in Bozeman last week and it did not deter the Bobcats from coming up with an impressive home win, after ESPN finally turned the game on. This week looks like a gimme on paper, but the Bobcats have to keep their focus and not let anyone steal a game from them.

5. Idaho (6)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 55-35, this week bye---The Vandals head into the bye week feeling pretty good about their situation. Good showings against Power 5 opponents in their money games, then looking very fine against their FCS opponents so far have people thinking good things about them this year. The question, however, are they for real?

6. UC Davis (5)---Last week, lost at Montana State 41-24, this week bye---By contrast from the Vandals' situation, the Aggies are probably looking forward to the week off. Close losses early on may have taken its toll on the psyche of the team and after getting a lead early on last week, the Aggies could not come through. The schedule gets a bit easier but is it too late?

7. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week, lost at Florida (FBS SEC) 52-17, this week at Weber State---Another money game against a strong Power 5 opponent and a tough lopsided defeat. Also, with it rescheduled to Sunday, the Eagles end up with a short week to get ready for what might be a must win in order to salvage the season. Where do they go from here?

8. Portland State (9)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 35-27, this week Lincoln (CA) (NAIA) at home---The Vikings got a convincing win in their home opener last week and get to stay at home this weekend, venturing out of conference this weekend by bringing in the traveling circus to their home field. On paper this should be an easy win, and it probably will be.

9. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week, lost at Portland State 35-27, this week Cal Poly at home---The good news so far this season for the Lumberjacks is that they have a road win against Sam Houston. But other than that, the season has been tough, with a home loss to an equitable conference opponent followed by a road loss to another equitable conference opponent. They need this game coming up.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, lost at Idaho 55-35, this week at Sacramento State---The Bears season is slowing slipping away after falling apart in the second half of the game last week. Things are not looking to get any easier any time soon as the upper elite teams will come calling. The Bears can play spoiler, but that might be the best to hope for.

11. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost to Montana at home 28-20, this week at Montana State---No one gave the Bengals any chance last week, but they gave the top team a mild scare, keeping the game close throughout, something that hadn't been done this year. That should give them a good feeling as they hit the road to possibly throw a scare in the other Montana team.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 49-21, this week at Northern Arizona--- There will be games coming up for the Mustangs to get a win somehow. Last week was not one of them and the Mustangs were slow coming out of the game. This week may not be one of them either, going on the road to play an upset conference opponent.

RECAP: 1-4 at the top, 5-7 just behind them, 8-9 clinging to hope, 10-12 fading.

Is Weber really better than UTAH and BYU???

wapiti
October 4th, 2022, 09:37 AM
A little bit of movement this week. PSU and NAU swapped position and so did ISU and CP.

1. Weber (1) - BBQ had a bye and remains number 1 and 3rd best in state of Utah. :-)

Tie 2. Montana (2) - UM has a tendency to look past @ISU and somehow still get the W

Tie 2. Sac State (2) - Dispatched CP with relative ease

4. Montana State (4) - Took care of a good UC Davis team. MSU has been improving as the season progresses.

5. Idaho (5) - UI let UNCU keep it close for the first half and put them away in the 2nd

6. UC Davis (6) - UC Davis could not contain MSU's big QB

7. EWU (7) - Was thumped by FBS Florida

8. PSU (9) - I thought about moving PSU ahead of EWU with the win over NAU. But for now they are just a whisker behind EWU

9. NAU (8) - NAU still has potential to play a spoiler role and beat one of the top teams. Especially @ the Walkup.

10. NC (10) - Kept it close for a half and then was crushed

11. ISU (12) - Gave the #2 team a close game in Pocatello. That's enough to move up one spot when CP loses.

12. CP (11) - Was thumped at home by rival Sac State

Recap: 1-5 contenders 6-8 Middle of the pack 9 Falling back a bit 10-12 Bottom of the barrel

MSUBobcat
October 4th, 2022, 11:59 AM

Yes, on the BYU. Using the transitive property, BYU beat USU by 8 at home. Weber beat USU by 28 on the road. Weber is 20 points better than BYU, and that's without even factoring home vs. road differences. Gotta get into the weeds a bit with our fun "My Team is Better Than Yours" (https://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/path;winner=Weber%20St;loser=Utah;sport=CFB;year=2 022;method=2) website to show Weber is better than Utah, but still only takes 3 rounds. :D

MSUBobcat
October 4th, 2022, 12:30 PM
1. Weber (1) - Bye week=no change
2. Sac St. (3) - Did what they were supposed to and dispatched a bottom feeder
3. Montana (2) - Did not do what they were supposed to and struggled on the road against a bottom feeder
4. MSU (4) - Pretty strong showing against a quality Davis team that had me nervous. Exceeded my expectations
5. Idaho (5) - Would have liked them to not get into a track meet with a lower tier team, but still won by 20 so remains #5. Oct. 15th will tell us quite a bit about the Big Sky race.
6. UC-Davis (6) - Didn't make it as much of a game as I expected, but Bobcat Stadium provides quite the homefield advantage. And the teams below them didn't do much to jump them.
7. EWU (7) - Got manhandled by an ORV SEC team. Hard to fault them for that.
8. PSU (8) - Outperformed my prediction (27-24) in the victory over NAU, and had a 22 point lead in the 4th before giving up a long TD and another quick drive midway thru the 4th before collecting the onside kick and marching to the NAU 1 and kneeling.
9. NAU (9) - Showed some fight with a 4th quarter comeback, but still took a 8 point loss that could have easily been 15.
10. UNC (10) - UNC continues to look a bit better each week, but still suffered a 20 point loss.
11. ISU-o (12) - played my former #2 to a one score game. Still trying to wrap my head around the pooch kick after the score with 1 minute to play. Kicker really flubbed that onside kick attempt.
12. Poly (11) - Poly and ISU are about even, but the Bungles get the nod this week for giving their top-ranked foe a much stiffer competition.

I arranged my picks last week with assumptions on the victors of the upcoming games, and I got all picks right. The only reason I made a change was I had UM and Sac nearly equal and Poly and ISU-o about equal, so when Sac beat Poly easily while the Griz were in a dogfight, both flip flopped in my ranking.

1-4 Contenders
5 Contender, but cannot slip up vs EWU and Davis at home in November
6-8 Looking to play spoiler to their BSC brethren.
9-12 Falling off

JALMOND
October 4th, 2022, 02:57 PM

One could make an argument, based on common opponent Utah State. I think the Wildcats caught USU at the right time, shell-shocked after losing to Alabama and thinking Weber was going to be a pushover. BYU might have taken USU a bit lightly as well, but woke up just in time. My opinion, I think Weber would still get the win, but I think USU is better than they showed against Weber, and BYU is better than they showed against USU. It is fun to speculate, however.xcoffeex

Green Cookie Monster
October 4th, 2022, 04:03 PM
Agreed, Weber is the top horse right now. Weber has Sac playing in Ogden and is the only loss for Taylor in the BSC, ever.

MSUBobcat
October 4th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Agreed, Weber is the top horse right now. Weber has Sac playing in Ogden and is the only loss for Taylor in the BSC, ever.

Taylor has done a helluva job turning the program around. It's crazy to go from winless in conference to 1-loss co-champs in his first year, then undefeated in 2021, with the lost 2020 season in between. I wonder how long til he gets poached by a bigger program.

mvemjsunpx
October 4th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Taylor has done a helluva job turning the program around. It's crazy to go from winless in conference to 1-loss co-champs in his first year, then undefeated in 2021, with the lost 2020 season in between. I wonder how long til he gets poached by a bigger program.

To be fair, Sac had a boatload of injuries during the final Jody Sears season (they went 7-4 the year before that).

Green Cookie Monster
October 4th, 2022, 10:29 PM
From everything I’ve heard, Taylor is not in it for money. He moved his mother to Sac and his family is from Sac. There is a lot to be said about building something over time. He is master of his domain at Sac and just looking at the FBS coaches who have gotten canned already this season makes you wonder about HC longevity at FBS, especially if you are a student of the game. Taylor could be a Don Read, Pat Hill, Bobby Bowden while at Sac.
Troy Taylor stadium has a nice ring to it.

100%GRIZ
October 5th, 2022, 09:45 AM
From everything I’ve heard, Taylor is not in it for money. He moved his mother to Sac and his family is from Sac. There is a lot to be said about building something over time. He is master of his domain at Sac and just looking at the FBS coaches who have gotten canned already this season makes you wonder about HC longevity at FBS, especially if you are a student of the game. Taylor could be a Don Read, Pat Hill, Bobby Bowden while at Sac.
Troy Taylor stadium has a nice ring to it.
At least one can HOPE!

Green Cookie Monster
October 5th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Money being waved in your face tempts the strongest soul.

nevadagriz
October 5th, 2022, 09:14 PM
Did Montana really Struggle?? I keep hearing this. 28-6 with 5 minutes left and they fumble on the one going in to make it 35-6.
Two TDs against the 2nd team and the score looks much closer. Griz played poorly but game was never in doubt.

mvemjsunpx
October 6th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Did Montana really Struggle?? I keep hearing this. 28-6 with 5 minutes left and they fumble on the one going in to make it 35-6.
Two TDs against the 2nd team and the score looks much closer. Griz played poorly but game was never in doubt.

It wasn't against the second team. The starters were still out there aside from Lucas Johnson, who I'm assuming got benched for the fumble.

wapiti
October 6th, 2022, 09:11 AM

I think the final score made it look closer than it really was. I do not think the game was in doubt. Turnovers by the Griz kept it from being a blowout. I can hope those turnovers are a start of a pattern.

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2022, 10:31 AM

First, it was 28-6 with almost 9 minutes left when Johnson fumbled; the Bungles made it 28-13 with 5:01 left. Second, having to defend a (poorly executed) onside kick means the game was somewhat in doubt, even if only a little doubt. IF they had gone in to make it 35-6, you would be correct that the Griz didn't struggle. Or IF after fumbling, they forced a punt. Or IF after ISU made it 28-13 with 5 minutes to play, the Griz had been able to run the clock out and/or score again. Or IF after turning it over on downs, they had slowed ISU down enough to end the game. But none of those happened. Johnson fumbled and ISU marched down the field 80 yards in 3:42. Then the Griz were only able to burn 2:13 on the ensuing drive, with ISU only using 1 TO, before turning it over on downs. Then, ISU marched 71 yards in only 1:53 to make it a 1-score game. For ISU's part, IF their kicker made a better onside kick and they recovered, they would have have 55 seconds to go about 50 yards, which based on the previous 2 drives wasn't inconceivable.

The Griz dominated 50 minutes of the game before starting to **** the bed and nearly giving it away, i.e. struggled immensely for the last 10.

SeattleCat
October 6th, 2022, 11:52 AM
First, it was 28-6 with almost 9 minutes left when Johnson fumbled; the Bungles made it 28-13 with 5:01 left. Second, having to defend a (poorly executed) onside kick means the game was somewhat in doubt, even if only a little doubt. IF they had gone in to make it 35-6, you would be correct that the Griz didn't struggle. Or IF after fumbling, they forced a punt. Or IF after ISU made it 28-13 with 5 minutes to play, the Griz had been able to run the clock out and/or score again. Or IF after turning it over on downs, they had slowed ISU down enough to end the game. But none of those happened. Johnson fumbled and ISU marched down the field 80 yards in 3:42. Then the Griz were only able to burn 2:13 on the ensuing drive, with ISU only using 1 TO, before turning it over on downs. Then, ISU marched 71 yards in only 1:53 to make it a 1-score game. For ISU's part, IF their kicker made a better onside kick and they recovered, they would have have 55 seconds to go about 50 yards, which based on the previous 2 drives wasn't inconceivable.

The Griz dominated 50 minutes of the game before starting to **** the bed and nearly giving it away, i.e. struggled immensely for the last 10.

I didn't watch much of this game, but i remember turning it on late and something happened... I don't quite remember if it was a fumble? or something, but the griz nearly gave it away, and imo at the time I thought the griz caught a huge break and it should have been ISU's ball. I wish I could remember the play, but i just don't care enough to log it away apparently.

uofmman1122
October 6th, 2022, 11:57 AM
I didn't watch much of this game, but i remember turning it on late and something happened... I don't quite remember if it was a fumble? or something, but the griz nearly gave it away, and imo at the time I thought the griz caught a huge break and it should have been ISU's ball. I wish I could remember the play, but i just don't care enough to log it away apparently.
Keelan White looked to have touched a punt that ISU recovered, but it was called Griz ball and the replay couldn't overturn it.

uofmman1122
October 6th, 2022, 12:02 PM

You're right, we're terrible. Worst 5-0 team in history. Rank us below UNC, they're clearly better based on game results. 7-4 at best.

Hyperbole aside, I didn't watch the game and was incredibly worried seeing the final, but I watched it yesterday and having seen how it shook out, I'm not really that worried. We never play well in Pocatello, for whatever reason.

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2022, 12:37 PM
You're right, we're terrible. Worst 5-0 team in history. Rank us below UNC, they're clearly better based on game results. 7-4 at best.

Hyperbole aside, I didn't watch the game and was incredibly worried seeing the final, but I watched it yesterday and having seen how it shook out, I'm not really that worried. We never play well in Pocatello, for whatever reason.

Holy hyperbole, Batman!!! If you weren't at least a tad worried after they scored to make it a one score game with a minute left and the defense not playing well, you're more confident than me. Everyone has an out-of-norm stinker. Weber lost to PSU at home last year, ISU beat Davis, etc., etc. I'm sure the coaches reviewed what Idaho State was doing and are trying to rectify it. And it's somewhat established that Pocatello is unfriendly to the Griz. I'm still fully expecting them to win all the remaining home games. Their road games.... that's a gauntlet.

JALMOND
October 6th, 2022, 12:46 PM

It seems no one really plays well in Pocatello. Or Missoula. Or Bozeman, Cheney, Moscow, Ogden, Flagstaff, or pretty much anywhere in conference. In all the years I've been doing these things, I've considered a conference road win to be a good win, regardless of opponent or record. That holds true for almost every conference in the country. Weird things tend to happen, mainly to the road team.

uofmman1122
October 6th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Holy hyperbole, Batman!!! If you weren't at least a tad worried after they scored to make it a one score game with a minute left and the defense not playing well, you're more confident than me. Everyone has an out-of-norm stinker. Weber lost to PSU at home last year, ISU beat Davis, etc., etc. I'm sure the coaches reviewed what Idaho State was doing and are trying to rectify it. And it's somewhat established that Pocatello is unfriendly to the Griz. I'm still fully expecting them to win all the remaining home games. Their road games.... that's a gauntlet.
I think our guys definitely got complacent a little and probably thought the game was over. Really not something you want to see, but I guess I'm glad it happened against ISU where it was likely never in doubt. If Hauck never pulls Johnson, it's likely we never give the ball back, and it's a 2-score win, at least.

I think trying to project these types of issues onto the harder games is a little silly. We won't lose to Sac or Weber due to complacency, they're good enough that we could just lose despite our efforts.

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2022, 02:21 PM
I think our guys definitely got complacent a little and probably thought the game was over. Really not something you want to see, but I guess I'm glad it happened against ISU where it was likely never in doubt. If Hauck never pulls Johnson, it's likely we never give the ball back, and it's a 2-score win, at least.

I think trying to project these types of issues onto the harder games is a little silly. We won't lose to Sac or Weber due to complacency, they're good enough that we could just lose despite our efforts.

I don't project future games because of a "letdown" game. Like JALMOND said, any road win in conference is a good win. If anything, I think it's a good wakeup call for the Griz going forward. A reminder that you can't take anything for granted and you play full tilt until the final whistle. I don't foresee a 4th quarter lackadaisical performance from them again.

SeattleCat
October 6th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Keelan White looked to have touched a punt that ISU recovered, but it was called Griz ball and the replay couldn't overturn it.

Yep, that was it. I remember it looked like the ball hit 1 of 2 fingers.

SeattleCat
October 6th, 2022, 02:50 PM
I don't project future games because of a "letdown" game. Like JALMOND said, any road win in conference is a good win. If anything, I think it's a good wakeup call for the Griz going forward. A reminder that you can't take anything for granted and you play full tilt until the final whistle. I don't foresee a 4th quarter lackadaisical performance from them again.
This is a very good point. We took an ass beating last year at the hands of the griz, but still made a helluva run.

Green Cookie Monster
October 6th, 2022, 03:25 PM
It seems no one really plays well in Pocatello. Or Missoula. Or Bozeman, Cheney, Moscow, Ogden, Flagstaff, or pretty much anywhere in conference. In all the years I've been doing these things, I've considered a conference road win to be a good win, regardless of opponent or record. That holds true for almost every conference in the country. Weird things tend to happen, mainly to the road team.

Unless you are Troy Taylor with an 11-0 road record. Sac seems to play better on the road.

nevadagriz
October 6th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Has it been enough years in a row that we can all stop getting excited thinking Nau will be good? Every preseaon Nau is going to be good then after their first two games ohhh look at the Lumberjacks and then they end up middle of the pack.
Did Davis first five games wear them out mentally and physically? (brutal 5 game stretch)
Same for EWU? Can they play spoiler against Sac or Montana?
How Bad will Cats roll ISU? my guess 56-3

SeattleCat
October 6th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Has it been enough years in a row that we can all stop getting excited thinking Nau will be good? Every preseaon Nau is going to be good then after their first two games ohhh look at the Lumberjacks and then they end up middle of the pack.
Did Davis first five games wear them out mentally and physically? (brutal 5 game stretch)
Same for EWU? Can they play spoiler against Sac or Montana?
How Bad will Cats roll ISU? my guess 56-3

eh. I'm thinking more like 44-24, Our D takes a least a half to adjust to something reasonable.