Rhode Island
3-2

Southern Illinois
3-2
NR

Southeast Missouri State
4-1
NR

Dropped Out: Austin Peay (16), Richmond (22)

Others Receiving Votes: Austin Peay, 72; Richmond, 48; Princeton, 24; Abilene Christian, 21; Eastern Kentucky, 20; North Carolina Central, 19; Idaho, 12; Monmouth (N.J.), 12; Furman, 11; North Dakota, 8; Davidson, 6; Youngstown State, 5; Florida A&M, 4; Tarleton, 4; Penn, 1; Stetson, 1; Stonehill, 1.

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 10:55 AM
Jackson State being ranked in the top ten is a damn travesty.

Four wins over teams from the SWAC and perhaps the worst team in the OVC (Tennessee State, fresh off a loss to Lane) who have a combined record of 4-15 is worthy of a top ten ranking?

Stupid.

I hope Campbell beats them by 20+ later this month.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2022, 11:04 AM

...EVERAH TOP 5 TEAM......IN EVERAH CONFERENCE.....INCLUDIN' DUH...SOGONE MUSH........WOOD KNOCK....NEON......BACK UH COUPLE SATURDAYS.......xwavex.....BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 11:06 AM
Sac State jumps MSU after beating a team likely to go winless in 2022 by 28 (spread was -25.5), while MSU beat a good UC-Davis squad by 17 (spread was 4.5)? Bobcats put up 7 more points than Cal, 17 more than SDSU, and 24 more than Weber in their victories and also beat the Aggies by its widest margin to an FCS team by a long shot (SDSU was 2 points, Weber was 5 points). In my Big Sky rankings, I already had Sac St. ahead of MSU going into the weekend, but if you didn't, I don't know how you make that jump based on the games this weekend.

Weber too low (I have them as the best team in the BSC at this point), Jackson too high, EWU should not be ranked-they're careening toward a 4-7, or 5-6 if they beat a resurgent Idaho in Moscow. Gap between SELA and UIW to large, IMO. Misery State at #19, while UND barely getting votes after a sound beating is a head scratcher. SEMO not getting enough love. All my opinion as a non-voter in the poll, so probably off on a couple of these and missed others.

kdinva
October 3rd, 2022, 11:07 AM
SFA above Richmond? EWU in top 25? agree on Jackson state, should be 14-18th.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 11:11 AM
Also.... who TF is voting for Davidson, Tarleton, Stetson and Stonehill? There's easily 35 teams that dump truck those teams.

clenz
October 3rd, 2022, 11:13 AM
Missouri State still ranked

God bless everyone.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2022, 11:13 AM
Sac State jumps MSU after beating a team likely to go winless in 2022 by 28 (spread was -25.5), while MSU beat a good UC-Davis squad by 17 (spread was 4.5)? Bobcats put up 7 more points than Cal, 17 more than SDSU, and 24 more than Weber in their victories and also beat the Aggies by its widest margin to an FCS team by a long shot (SDSU was 2 points, Weber was 5 points). In my Big Sky rankings, I already had Sac St. ahead of MSU going into the weekend, but if you didn't, I don't know how you make that jump based on the games this weekend.

Weber too low (I have them as the best team in the BSC at this point), Jackson too high, EWU should not be ranked-they're careening toward a 4-7, or 5-6 if they beat a resurgent Idaho in Moscow. Gap between SELA and UIW to large, IMO. Misery State at #19, while UND barely getting votes after a sound beating is a head scratcher. SEMO not getting enough love. All my opinion as a non-voter in the poll, so probably off on a couple of these and missed others.

....UMMMMM 'BOUT DAT.........VANDIES ARE 3-2......SHOWED UP AGIN' LOSS TA WASHIN'TON STATE......BUT DEY'RE 3 DUBBYA'S......ARE OVERH SQWADS......DAT ARE CURRENTLAH.......3-12......DEY PUT DUH FLUFFFY....IN DUH BIG FLUFFY.......C'MON DRAKE?????????..........AT LEAST SKED SAN DIEGO.............AWK!

GoBlueHens83
October 3rd, 2022, 11:14 AM
Also.... who TF is voting for Davidson, Tarleton, Stetson and Stonehill? There's easily 35 teams that dump truck those teams.

Seems like whoever is voting for them is just looking at overall records because three of those teams have multiple sub D1 wins. Lazy voting.

wcugrad95
October 3rd, 2022, 11:25 AM
And the problem with that lazy voting is that steals votes from some other teams who have earned them. Not that it really matters, but C'mon. Maybe it is them voting for their own teams xlolx

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 11:27 AM
Really? I can't name 35 teams that would dump truck Davidson.

They may not deserve a top 25 spot but I don't think Davidson getting votes should shock anyone. They gave us some challenges but they turned the ball over a few times and even still we're their only loss. They've dump trucked everyone else they've played. Granted nobody else they've played is particularly good, but I'll be shocked if they finish the year with less than 10 wins.

I think they're definitely a fringe top 25 squad but I'd agree their schedule isn't doing them any favors.

Davidson gave us more of a game than SFA did.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 11:34 AM
....UMMMMM 'BOUT DAT.........VANDIES ARE 3-2......SHOWED UP AGIN' LOSS TA WASHIN'TON STATE......BUT DEY'RE 3 DUBBYA'S......ARE OVERH SQWADS......DAT ARE CURRENTLAH.......3-12......DEY PUT DUH FLUFFFY....IN DUH BIG FLUFFY.......C'MON DRAKE?????????..........AT LEAST SKED SAN DIEGO.............AWK!

I made no assertion that Idaho is a top 25 team, though I think a case could be made for getting a vote here and there. I said resurgent because they are looking better than they have in years and may finish above .500 with a 6-3 record against FCS competition. If they beat Davis at home the penultimate weekend of the regular season, they'll be in strong consideration for a playoff bid at 7-4 (7-2 FCS with only road losses to Sac St. and UM). Now that I say that, they'll probably **** the bed against a down EWU team at home...... Sorry 'bout that Vandal fans. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2022, 11:34 AM

They may not deserve a top 25 spot but I don't think Davidson getting votes should shock anyone. They gave us some challenges but they turned the ball over a few times and even still we're their only loss. They've dump trucked everyone else they've played. Granted nobody else they've played is particularly good, but I'll be shocked if they finish the year with less than 10 wins.

I think they're definitely a fringe top 25 squad but I'd agree their schedule isn't doing them any favors.

....YEA-YAH......BARTON.....ST. ANDREWS.......PRESBY & BUTLER......PROLLY AGREE....xnonox....BRAWK!

WileECoyote06
October 3rd, 2022, 11:37 AM
There is no way we should be getting votes and Campbell gets none. They're a good team.

Disappointed by UND's lack of attention too. I can see keeping them right outside of the Top 25, but only 8 points is a severe oversight.

KPSUL
October 3rd, 2022, 11:38 AM
Who actually thinks 4 of the top 7 teams are out of the Big Sky ?

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 11:46 AM

Well the only loss between the 4 of them is from a Pac12 team that went on to play Lincoln Riley's USC team to a FG game the next week.

Theyve all four drug everyone else they've played. Including Webers demolition of a MW squad.

Libertine
October 3rd, 2022, 11:46 AM

They may not deserve a top 25 spot but I don't think Davidson getting votes should shock anyone. ...

Completely agree on Davidson. On the flip side, I think Tarleton has a ton of obvious potential and could very well be a fringe top-25 team if they build on that over the next few weeks but, to this point, are getting a lot of mileage out of beating bad teams.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 11:47 AM

Davidson gave us more of a game than SFA did.

They got dump trucked by the only team they played with a pulse. xdontknowx. The Chicken already touched on the gauntlet they've faced: a 2-3 DII team, a winless NAIA, the absolute worst team in FCS and a bottom 20 FCS team.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 11:50 AM
They got dump trucked by the only team they played with a pulse. xdontknowx. The Chicken already touched on the gauntlet they've faced: a 2-3 DII team, a winless NAIA, the absolute worst team in FCS and a bottom 20 FCS team.
You can only play who you have on the schedule.

You can make an argument Montana State got dumpstered by the only real team they've played too when your opponents only wins are two non-schollies and Tennessee State.

I'm not championing a top 10 placement here. I'm just saying Davidson is a better squad than their schedule would indicate and a couple of votes isn't surprising.

Yeah we beat them pretty good. We'd also drag a majority of the top 25.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 11:52 AM

I would agree with this assessment. Our defense continues to give up big plays, so I would have us around maybe 10 until they figure it out. Our offensive line, on the other hand, is going to keep us in games. We're 3rd in rushing ypg at nearly 300.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2022, 11:58 AM

I don't think the Sac St move had to do with this week but looking at the Ws each team has had, the Sac opponents are looking a bit better than Mont St opponents. Not by a huge amount, but that "might" be the reason for these poll voters. It'll work itself out.

Jackson St is ridiculous given their schedule. E Washington is living on borrowed time. Two FBS or not, ranking a 1-3 team doesn't pass the eye test. Not to mention they got waxed bad both times. Plus Elon and W&M? Elon won on the road in their game and has had the tougher schedule so far. Shouldn't have ended up as shown. Plus RI? Zero even semi good wins. With ND getting just ORV?

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2022, 11:58 AM
I do... I've actually got 4 in the top 6. They can't sustain that since, luckily enough for us, most of them all play each other this year. The only matchup between those 4 that is missed is Montana St vs Sac St. The AGS consensus also has 4 Big Sky in the top 7.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 11:59 AM
You would??? Didn't you only beat EKU at home by 4? Or @Austin Peay by 3? Or SLA at home by 3? Those teams are #25, #27, and.... wow #11?!, respectively in the newly release AGS poll. If you'd drag the majority of the top 25, why haven't you in 3 of 3 tries?
Weird, I don't think we've played any of those teams yet.

You got a time machine out there or somethin?

The top 25 we did play so far we racked up a 25 point lead in three quarters of football.

I'm eager for when we do play SLU though. Should be a good litmus test for us.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 12:01 PM
I don't think the Sac St move had to do with this week but looking at the Ws each team has had, the Sac opponents are looking a bit better than Mont St opponents. Not by a huge amount, but that "might" be the reason for these poll voters. It'll work itself out.

Jackson St is ridiculous given their schedule. E Washington is living on borrowed time. Two FBS or not, ranking a 1-3 team doesn't pass the eye test. Not to mention they got waxed bad both times. Plus Elon and W&M? Elon won on the road in their game and has had the tougher schedule so far. Shouldn't have ended up as shown. Plus RI? Zero even semi good wins. With ND getting just ORV?

I don't disagree with them being above us at all. I just think if you didn't have them above us last week, it's weird that this weekend's results changed your mind. I don't care about polls at this time and tend to rank my team lower than most anyway.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 12:03 PM
Weird, I don't think we've played any of those teams yet.

You got a time machine out there or somethin?

xembarrassedx Ahh ****... I was looking at the Massey rankings and somehow the schedule was in reverse order when I clicked on JSU. xembarrassedx

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 12:04 PM
xembarrassedx Ahh ****... I was looking at the Massey rankings and somehow the schedule was in reverse order when I clicked on JSU. xembarrassedx
It happens. xdrunkyx

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 12:06 PM
It happens. xdrunkyx

I wish I could use xdrunkyx as my excuse. You'd think the W and L ​on the bottom half would have been a dead giveaway. No excuses. I flubbed that one.

Chalupa Batman
October 3rd, 2022, 12:23 PM
There is no way we should be getting votes and Campbell gets none. They're a good team.

Disappointed by UND's lack of attention too. I can see keeping them right outside of the Top 25, but only 8 points is a severe oversight.

Wow I didn't even see that UND only got 8 points. That's one of the most egregious things I've seen in a while.

POD Knows
October 3rd, 2022, 12:36 PM

Disappointed by UND's lack of attention too. I can see keeping them right outside of the Top 25, but only 8 points is a severe oversight.Some of these voters probably think that NDSU and UND are the same school and don't want to cast a vote twice or something, but their omission here is pretty bad.

Tribe4SF
October 3rd, 2022, 01:54 PM

Agree on Campbell. Losses to ECU and ranked W&M and big wins over the Citadel and you guys. I was impressed with them when they played us and I have them in my AGS poll.

wapiti
October 3rd, 2022, 01:55 PM
Jackson State being ranked in the top ten is a damn travesty.

Four wins over teams from the SWAC and perhaps the worst team in the OVC (Tennessee State, fresh off a loss to Lane) who have a combined record of 4-15 is worthy of a top ten ranking?

Stupid.

I hope Campbell beats them by 20+ later this month.

What's even crazier is there are people in the AGS poll voting them high!!!!
Jackson State is not a top 25 team let alone top 10!!!!!

wapiti
October 3rd, 2022, 01:58 PM

I do.

Who would you replace with them???????

WileECoyote06
October 3rd, 2022, 02:10 PM

That's a stretch. Not Top 10, but definitely Top 25.

Jackson State passes the eye test. Also, they have a common opponent with Eastern Washington. Tennessee State gave EWU fits on the road. Jackson didn't allow TSU to score a touchdown in a neutral game.

That in my opinion indicates that at this point in the season Jackson State is as good as E. Washington, and if they're in the Top 25; Jackson State should be in the Top 25. Whether or not one views EWU as good is up for debate. They've played two bowl bound P5 teams and a top ten FCS team, so it's hard to tell.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 02:14 PM

Jackson State passes the eye test. Also, they have a common opponent with Eastern Washington. Tennessee State gave EWU fits on the road. Jackson didn't allow TSU to score a touchdown in a neutral game.

That in my opinion indicates that at this point in the season Jackson State is as good as E. Washington, and if they're in the Top 25; Jackson State should be in the Top 25. Whether or not one views EWU as good is up for debate. They've played two bowl bound P5 teams and a top ten FCS team, so it's hard to tell.
EWU is ass and doesn't deserve to be ranked. So if we hold that Jackson State is about as good as EWU, then JSU doesn't deserve to be ranked either. xdrunkyx

FTR I don't mind Jackson State being in the top 25, but seeing them in the top 10 makes me wonder if some voters aren't confusing Dieons JSU squad for our squad.

WileECoyote06
October 3rd, 2022, 02:20 PM
EWU is ass and doesn't deserve to be ranked. So if we hold that Jackson State is about as good as EWU, then JSU doesn't deserve to be ranked either. xdrunkyx

FTR I don't mind Jackson State being in the top 25, but seeing them in the top 10 makes me wonder if some voters aren't confusing Dieons JSU squad for our squad.

It's hard. I didn't want to rank them, but the truth is. . they're 1-1 vs FCS and a fumble from being 2-0. If they play two more FCS teams instead of the FBS teams; they're 3-1 and nobody questions their legitimacy based on the near upset of well-regarded Montana State.

But I agree, if you didn't rank EWU, then you can de-rank (LOL) JSU. Well at least until JSU moves to 5-0. Then by the law of the messageboard rankings you must add them to your Top 25. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 02:23 PM
It's hard. I didn't want to rank them, but the truth is. . they're 1-1 vs FCS and a fumble from being 2-0. If they play two more FCS teams instead of the FBS teams; they're 3-1 and nobody questions their legitimacy based on the near upset of well-regarded Montana State.

But I agree, if you didn't rank EWU, then you can de-rank (LOL) JSU. Well at least until JSU moves to 5-0. Then by the law of the messageboard rankings you must add them to your Top 25. xlolx
Maybe EWU isn't underrated because they almost beat Montana State.

Maybe Montana State is overrated because they almost lost to EWU.

wapiti
October 3rd, 2022, 02:39 PM

JSU has a crappy history in the playoffs. The Tigers have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs 12 times with a record of 0–12.
SWAC is a weak conference and JSU has a history of being a middling SWAC team.

EWU has a great history in the playoffs
EWU is from a strong conference and has a history of being one of the better teams in the Big Sky and EWU is a bubble top 25 team this season.

If JSU wants respect they need to up their SOS. The SWAC is not going to get that done. Example: Look at what NC AT has done since moving to a slightly stronger conference.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2022, 02:41 PM
JSU has a crappy history in the playoffs. The Tigers have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs 12 times with a record of 0–12.

EWU is from a strong conference and has a history of being one of the better teams in the Big Sky and EWU is a bubble top 25 team this season.

If JSU wants respect they need to up their SOS. The SWAC is not going to get that done. Example: Look at what NC AT has done since moving to a slightly stronger conference.
Ya know...

I don't even know that the Big South is any better than the MEAC at this point.

wapiti
October 3rd, 2022, 02:46 PM
Ya know...

I don't even know that the Big South is any better than the MEAC at this point.

I saw that NC AT is scheduled to move to CAA starting next season. At least they are upping their SOS.

Catbooster
October 3rd, 2022, 03:44 PM
Well the only loss between the 4 of them is from a Pac12 team that went on to play Lincoln Riley's USC team to a FG game the next week.

Theyve all four drug everyone else they've played. Including Webers demolition of a MW squad.
And Sac's demolition of another MW squad.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2022, 04:57 PM

I would not go that far. I can easily see them in the 18-25 range. But until they play some better competition, there will be doubts.

lionsrking2
October 3rd, 2022, 05:00 PM
All I know about the coaches poll is we fell out after two FBS losses to open the season—one, a competitive game vs the defending Sun Belt champions, and another (FAU) where we simply played bad without the starting left side of our offensive line. We finally got back in last week after beating CCSU, 70-6, and top 10 UIW, 41-35, but were still ranked behind SFA who had been blasted twice by a transitioning FBS and an FBS we lost to by three points last year. Additionally, this week, we beat an FCS team (Murray State) 48-14, while SFA scores 16 points and loses again vs a transitioning FBS that is down. Not to mention they barely beat Alcorn and their only other win is vs an NAIA who just added football. SFA is still ranked. Two spots below us. I scratch my head.

VandalBasher
October 3rd, 2022, 05:11 PM
I am just happy there is discussion about the Vandals. I think it is possible for Idaho to crack the Top 25 if we can get past EWU and UC Davis (both at home).

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 05:12 PM
I am just happy there is discussion about the Vandals. I think it is possible for Idaho to crack the Top 25 if we can get past EWU and UC Davis (both at home).

Idaho should be in the top 25. They've done more than a few teams who are currently ranked.

VandalBasher
October 3rd, 2022, 05:29 PM
Idaho should be in the top 25. They've done more than a few teams who are currently ranked.

That would be amazing after the tough road we have hauled since rejoining FCS. There is a renewed excitement in Moscow. The Portland State game will determine where Idaho belongs.

MSUBobcat
October 3rd, 2022, 05:56 PM
That would be amazing after the tough road we have hauled since rejoining FCS. There is a renewed excitement in Moscow. The Portland State game will determine where Idaho belongs.

I think this weekend will tell us a lot. If the Vandals keep it within ~14, they should stay about where they are now. Stay even closer, they should appear on a few more ballots. More... drop off ballots. The down side of your schedule is you're right on the cusp of a ranking, then play Montana in Wa-Griz. Then a winnable game at home vs a middling PSU, which won't move the needle much, followed by another very tough road game vs. Sac St. Should likely still be hovering right outside the top 25 before a winnable game hosting a down, but dangerous, EWU team, and a good Davis. Win those 2 (and fare as expected @UM, vs. PSU and @Sac St.) and they should be close to ranked. Just don't get blown out by UM and/or Sacramento.

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2022, 06:09 PM

Game of the Year

Campbell at Jackson St

I agree with you Jackson St passes the eye test and Sanders is a really good QB, but so far that eye test is just that big letter at the top of the chart... easy

atthewbon
October 3rd, 2022, 06:38 PM

I don't disagree that Jackson state needs to up its SOS but using their playoff record is irrelevant. They haven't played an FCS playoff game since before I was alive. The amount of talent on their roster is insane, they pass the eye test, and they have destroyed everyone they played. I think they absolutely should be ranked idk how high because of the SOS but I think in the 8-15 range is about right. I can't seem them climbing much higher though because of the SOS. I wished they played some tougher competition I think they'd do well. It will be interesting to see if any of the openings at the Power 5 level lead to Sanders getting poached.

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 07:04 PM
I don't disagree that Jackson state needs to up its SOS but using their playoff record is irrelevant. They haven't played an FCS playoff game since before I was alive. The amount of talent on their roster is insane, they pass the eye test, and they have destroyed everyone they played. I think they absolutely should be ranked idk how high because of the SOS but I think in the 8-15 range is about right. I can't seem them climbing much higher though because of the SOS. I wished they played some tougher competition I think they'd do well. It will be interesting to see if any of the openings at the Power 5 level lead to Sanders getting poached.

Didn’t destroy Tennessee State, who just lost to some school called Lane.

atthewbon
October 3rd, 2022, 07:20 PM
Didn’t destroy Tennessee State, who just lost to some school called Lane.

They gave up 3 points and 140 total yards (2 rushing yards on 36 attempts)…
Tennessee state also lost to EWU by a touchdown.

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 08:43 PM
They gave up 3 points and 140 total yards (2 rushing yards on 36 attempts)…
Tennessee state also lost to EWU by a touchdown.

Is EWU good?

They also scored nine points through 3.5 quarters and tacked on a touchdown at the end of the game to seal it.

I think they have some great skilled players, but would get manhandled in the trenches by the ten best teams in the country.

mvemjsunpx
October 4th, 2022, 08:35 AM

Um… literally all of the polls. xeyebrowx

wapiti
October 4th, 2022, 11:07 AM
Game of the Year

Campbell at Jackson St

I agree with you Jackson St passes the eye test and Sanders is a really good QB, but so far that eye test is just that big letter at the top of the chart... easy

There are a number of unranked teams that would pass the eye test with the schedule Jackson State has had.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2022, 12:12 PM
There are a number of unranked teams that would pass the eye test with the schedule Jackson State has had.

that is exactly what I was saying