PDA

View Full Version : CAA Pick’em Week 6

Sitting Bull
October 3rd, 2022, 06:27 AM
Week 6 Match-ups:

All conference games this week - 2 points each.

UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

bonarae
October 3rd, 2022, 07:12 AM
Monmouth
Maine
Elon
UNH
Delaware

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2022, 08:44 AM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

GoBlueHens83
October 3rd, 2022, 10:47 AM
Albany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ New Hampshire
Delaware @ William & Mary

KPSUL
October 3rd, 2022, 11:40 AM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 12:39 PM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

NY Crusader 2010
October 3rd, 2022, 02:25 PM
Monmouth
Maine
Elon
UNH
W&M

The Cats
October 3rd, 2022, 02:29 PM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

NY Crusader 2010
October 3rd, 2022, 02:33 PM
I'm remotely tempted to predict the inaugural CAA win for Hampton over Maine and change my pick. Let's see how the week goes.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2022, 03:43 PM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M
I’m with you. I think Hampton gets off the CAA schneid this week.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 3rd, 2022, 06:31 PM
Monmouth
Maine-OMG, if we lose to Hampton that will be one hard pill to swallow, Massey has us favored by 6.5
Elon
UNH
Delaware

HENJOHN
October 3rd, 2022, 07:11 PM
Monmouth
Hampton
Elon
UNH
Delaware

centraljerseycat
October 3rd, 2022, 07:13 PM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

winners in bold

KPSUL
October 3rd, 2022, 07:28 PM
I’m with you. I think Hampton gets off the CAA schneid this week.

I had to look that one up. But they've only lost one conference game so far, and that was to the odds-on favorite to win the conference this season. So that can't really be call on the schneid can it?

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2022, 04:12 AM
UAlbany @ Monmouth
Maine @ Hampton
Towson @ Elon
Stony Brook @ UNH
Delaware @ W&M

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2022, 07:05 AM
Monmouth
Maine
Elon
UNH
Delaware

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2022, 09:08 PM
MONMOUTH
MAINE
ELON
NEW HAMPSHIRE
DELAWARE

UNHWildcat18
October 5th, 2022, 09:19 PM
Monmouth
Maine
Elon
UNH
Delaware

MUHAWKS
October 5th, 2022, 09:23 PM
WILL SOMEONE PLS PICK THE DANES WTF

KPSUL
October 5th, 2022, 10:08 PM

It's the home field advantage, otherwise I might have considered it. Of course I haven't been very good at CAA pick'ems for several seasons.

MUHAWKS
October 5th, 2022, 10:12 PM
It's the home field advantage, otherwise I might have considered it. Of course I haven't been very good at CAA pick'ems for several seasons.

Home field advantage lol, all 3217 fans!

UNHWildcat18
October 5th, 2022, 10:26 PM

GG is a master of losing very close games. I'm surprised they still let him be the head coach

MUHAWKS
October 5th, 2022, 10:30 PM
GG is a master of losing very close games. I'm surprised they still let him be the head coach

Man I hope so-- B/c this one will be close (just b/c it seems neither defense can step up and both O's can score)..

Assume UNH at this point pulls for MU the rest of the way as its better chance at making your win "good"....I only say that b/c we already have the Nova win so just easier at this point..

Albany is a tricky team- Never truly bad, sometimes good, likes to hang around in games and always has a few athletes that you wonder why they are there..

Sitting Bull
October 6th, 2022, 07:37 AM

Come back Dane96!

Sitting Bull
October 6th, 2022, 07:45 AM
Week 6 Picks!

Monmouth 36, UAlbany 20
Maine 21, Hampton 7
Elon 28, Towson 14
Stony Brook 17, UNH 13
TRIBE 31, ​Hens 20

MRuler
October 6th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Man I hope so-- B/c this one will be close (just b/c it seems neither defense can step up and both O's can score)..

Assume UNH at this point pulls for MU the rest of the way as its better chance at making your win "good"....I only say that b/c we already have the Nova win so just easier at this point..

Albany is a tricky team- Never truly bad, sometimes good, likes to hang around in games and always has a few athletes that you wonder why they are there..

I dont participate in the picks but I am surprised by your statement as to how Albany gets certain athletes and what they are doing there. You are aware they took second to JMU and were selected to the FCS Playoffs in 2019 correct? They lost to Monmouth in 2019 in overtime. UA has been traditionally a very strong program and I think you would know that considering UA owned Monmouth in the NEC. I dont count the Covid season but they did have a bad year in 2021.

This current UA squad is VERY VERY young and they are already formidable this season but I believe an 8-10 win season is still a year away. If not for a muffed punt and a bad run defense we still had a chance to beat UNH. Even with Laube gaining 200 yards we were in the game. Maybe UNH isn't as good as we thought or maybe they are better, time will tell. Bottom line is UNH was the better team that night and deserved the win. I would be careful as players read these boards. Lets hope this isn't bulletin board material.

Best of luck. I am truly looking forward this game!

MUHAWKS
October 6th, 2022, 09:39 AM
I dont participate in the picks but I am surprised by your statement as to how Albany gets certain athletes and what they are doing there. You are aware they took second to JMU and were selected to the FCS Playoffs in 2019 correct? They lost to Monmouth in 2019 in overtime. UA has been traditionally a very strong program and I think you would know that considering UA owned Monmouth in the NEC. I dont count the Covid season but they did have a bad year in 2021.

This current UA squad is VERY VERY young and they are already formidable this season but I believe an 8-10 win season is still a year away. If not for a muffed punt and a bad run defense we still had a chance to beat UNH. Even with Laube gaining 200 yards we were in the game. Maybe UNH isn't as good as we thought or maybe they are better, time will tell. Bottom line is UNH was the better team that night and deserved the win. I would be careful as players read these boards. Lets hope this isn't bulletin board material.

Best of luck. I am truly looking forward this game!

I do not understand what you mean? I am being complimentary of Albany? I clearly said they are tricky and never bad. I also opined I thought it would be a close game. I am aware of The NEC years and although they beat us more than we beat the we still got 3-4 NEC Championships and most of them had to go through them. And I was at the 2019 game where we beat them but hat is the relevance to those facts to what I said? The reason I wonder why they are there is nothing but a compliment to the player and insult to the school. I do not see how it can be taken any other way. It means sometimes they seem to have players that could play at better/bigger schools. I t could just be my bias against the geographical area in general but not sure how anything I said can be taken as a slight to their football program or players? And I am the last guy to ridicule a team- that is for all these guys affiliated with the bigger programs who look at Albany as trash b/c what have they really done??

MUHAWKS
October 6th, 2022, 09:42 AM
Bottom line is if we lose to Albany it will be looked at as a bad loss-- "same old monmouth" If we beat them it will be " another cupcake win"-- pretty clear from reading the board that is the opinion of most.. I mean we barely got credit for beating Nova!!

MRuler
October 6th, 2022, 10:01 AM
I do not understand what you mean? I am being complimentary of Albany? I clearly said they are tricky and never bad. I also opined I thought it would be a close game. I am aware of The NEC years and although they beat us more than we beat the we still got 3-4 NEC Championships and most of them had to go through them. And I was at the 2019 game where we beat them but hat is the relevance to those facts to what I said? The reason I wonder why they are there is nothing but a compliment to the player and insult to the school. I do not see how it can be taken any other way. It means sometimes they seem to have players that could play at better/bigger schools. I t could just be my bias against the geographical area in general but not sure how anything I said can be taken as a slight to their football program or players? And I am the last guy to ridicule a team- that is for all these guys affiliated with the bigger programs who look at Albany as trash b/c what have they really done??

I didn't take your commentary as a slight at all. I said I was surprised. I think the UA players not knowing your insight might. I dont expect a win on Saturday but wouldn't be shocked if UA pulled out one they weren't expected to. Lord knows they've lost way too many close ones so hopefully by the law of averages it starts to swing back in our direction.

MUHAWKS
October 6th, 2022, 10:10 AM
I didn't take your commentary as a slight at all. I said I was surprised. I think the UA players not knowing your insight might. I dont expect a win on Saturday but wouldn't be shocked if UA pulled out one they weren't expected to. Lord knows they've lost way too many close ones so hopefully by the law of averages it starts to swing back in our direction.

Ok my bad-- yeah, what I guess I meant is over the years they have some individuals who to me are Cleary FBS guys or guys who could go most anywhere in FCS - I just assumed was a hard recruit job to get them there..Def nothing against the school either I just did not like the area (I did 2 years at HVCC) that was all.. I def respect Albany and even laid out in a post somewhere else at how they were in almost every game last year yet are considered "bad" I do NOT think that though.. I am nervous for Saturday...I feel like The Danes will not go away in a game...Unless totally outclassed which in this case they are not.. I hate playing these games b/c albany seems very close to being pretty good yet as I stated get no credit for winning and it looks bad to lose...

MRuler
October 6th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Bottom line is if we lose to Albany it will be looked at as a bad loss-- "same old monmouth" If we beat them it will be " another cupcake win"-- pretty clear from reading the board that is the opinion of most.. I mean we barely got credit for beating Nova!!

I dont think it would be a bad loss or a cupcake win. Most on this board knows UA is not that bad of a team. In fact I am sure most opponents are a little worried because they know UA is no where as bad as last season's record would suggest. With your win over Villanova you exposed them and announced MU is better than most thought. Delaware as of now appears to be the "class" of the CAA. I dont think for a minute the coaches and the fans on this board feel that MU or UA are pushovers, they know that these teams could be a problem. Monmouth has an opportunity. If MU wins I will be routing for MU the rest of the way. If UA wins I think that we would have a great chance to have a great season.

MUHAWKS
October 6th, 2022, 10:31 AM
I dont think it would be a bad loss or a cupcake win. Most on this board knows UA is not that bad of a team. In fact I am sure most opponents are a little worried because they know UA is no where as bad as last season's record would suggest. With your win over Villanova you exposed them and announced MU is better than most thought. Delaware as of now appears to be the "class" of the CAA. I dont think for a minute the coaches and the fans on this board feel that MU or UA are pushovers, they know that these teams could be a problem. Monmouth has an opportunity. If MU wins I will be routing for MU the rest of the way. If UA wins I think that we would have a great chance to have a great season.

Very well said, agreed.. It is just some people on the board who basically assign no credit for certain wins and make it look bad when losing.. I get it to an extent b/c the margin of diff between wins and losses in the CAA and FCS in general are thin- But I agree with what you said.. Before the season I was scared of a few games and this is one of them. Fordham was another. I was confident about Nova and although I am not confident about Delaware it is less pressure.. This game is literally our season in terms of the right to keep playing truly meaningful games-- ad I know Albay's history so I know its gonna be tough.. What do you think your main weakness is? Ours is defense but it is weird, we have good players just cannot get it together.. Our d line is small and provides no rush or push so we need to blitz and that can be binary..

kdinva
October 6th, 2022, 12:28 PM
U Albany 17 @ Monmouth 31
Maine 20 @ Hampton 24
Towson 14 @ Elon 35
Stony Brook 20 @ UNH 34
Delaware 31 @ W&M 24

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2022, 04:28 PM
The Delaware News Urinal printed a long retrospective piece today about past Delaware games at Zable. Most of them turned out badly for the Hens.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2022, 07:34 PM
Monmouth 38 Albany 27
Maine 24 Hampton 21
Elon 42 Towson 24
UNH 35 Stony Brook 17
Delaware 27 W&M 21

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2022, 06:45 AM

very fair and balanced post

While I agree with your comment about Delaware looking like the class of the CAA right now, the Hens schedule is really going to heat up from here on out

At William and Mary tomorrow, a team that had Elon dead to rights
At Elon - Back-to-back wins against W Mary and Richmond show that they might actually be the class of the CAA
Richmond - They let that game at Elon get away from them in the fourth quarter... they had them
Monmouth - With the win over Nova they have proved they belong in the CAA ...
Villanova - The Gangstas always have the Hens up against a wall

My opinion is the top 4 CAA teams are under ranked in all the polls right now, people are still thinking the CAA is down ..

The Big Sky getting all the love

Anyway you slice it, that’s one tough schedule for Delaware for the remainder of the season

Tribe4SF
October 7th, 2022, 08:31 AM

While I agree with your comment about Delaware looking like the class of the CAA right now, the Hens schedule is really going to heat up from here on out

At Elon - Back-to-back wins against W Mary and Richmond show that they might actually be the class of the CAA
Richmond - They let that game at Elon get away from them in the fourth quarter... they had them

My opinion is the top 4 CAA teams are under ranked in all the polls right now, people are still thinking the CAA is down ..

Anyway you slice it, that’s one tough schedule for Delaware for the remainder of the season

Agree that Elon may be the front runner. They got the transfer QB they needed and added a really good RB. They are strong up front on both sides of the ball and have shown terrific resilience the last two weeks against good teams.

Sitting Bull
October 7th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Agree that Elon may be the front runner. They got the transfer QB they needed and added a really good RB. They are strong up front on both sides of the ball and have shown terrific resilience the last two weeks against good teams.

Gangtackle knows more though I recall their coaching staff came from Villanova so you know this is becoming a solid program. They do have some challenges ahead: Delaware and then two road games to UNH and URI.

caa51
October 7th, 2022, 11:25 AM

Where is the love for UNH? 4-0 in the league after thrashing Stonybrook tomorrow. Caught a break with a soft schedule and taking advantage of it!

crusader11
October 7th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Where is the love for UNH? 4-0 in the league after thrashing Stonybrook tomorrow. Caught a break with a soft schedule and taking advantage of it!

Blown out at home by NC Central who was just blown out by Campbell (not that losing to Campbell is bad, but it's a noteworthy data point).

Not even competitive against Western Michigan, who looks to be a middle-of-the-pack MAC team.

UNH smells like a 6 win team who benefitted from not having to play Delaware and W&M this season. Just my .02.

MUHAWKS
October 7th, 2022, 02:09 PM

I dont think he left UNH out of the post as a slight he was just going through UDEL remaining schedule..

reeder
October 7th, 2022, 07:25 PM
Albany
Maine
Elon
UNH
Delaware

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2022, 08:25 PM
I dont think he left UNH out of the post as a slight he was just going through UDEL remaining schedule..

That is correct but don’t think for a second I wouldn’t slight them if the opportunity presents itself... That week schedule they are playing is going to haunt somebody

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2022, 09:16 PM
Blown out at home by NC Central who was just blown out by Campbell (not that losing to Campbell is bad, but it's a noteworthy data point).

Not even competitive against Western Michigan, who looks to be a middle-of-the-pack MAC team.

UNH smells like a 6 win team who benefitted from not having to play Delaware and W&M this season. Just my .02.

My 0.02
I agree that UNH is not some deep playoff team. I don't seem them being better than 7-4. Tough to go from 3-8 to a playoff team in a year.

NC central beat us by less than 20 points, a solid loss for sure but not my definition of blown out. I NCCU could very well win the MEAC.

That being said. The WM game was very competitive for 3 quarters. we had a TD taken back due to penalties, then a turnover 2 times deep in their territory, then turned it over 2 times deep in our territory. That plus the blown play, we gave them half of their points on a silver platter. we lost the battle of yards by 150 but had TOP and 1st down advantage. Getting away from the game WMU is probably going to win the MAC this year or at least challenge for the title. Their game vs SJSU was crap, their starting QB was ruled out after they got off the bus in California and had no real back up prep. So we lost big yes but outside the first quarter it wasn't "not even competitive"

benefit from UD/W&M yes but we still play Richmond and Elon.

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 12:25 PM
Talk about trying to rationalize how a 44-7 game was competitive.

It was 31-7 after the 3rd. in what world is that very competitive?

Western Michigan is also losing 21-7 today to EMU. They were picked to finish fourth in the MAC West.

I don't mean to pick apart every part of your post, but your UNH bias is really showing.

UNHWildcat18
October 8th, 2022, 12:49 PM
They were the better team for sure, but again as I explained if you watch the entire game, the turnovers and broken play really gave the game away. Now our game vs Pitt last year…now that fits your definition for sure 😂

im actually shocked at the game today. EMU struggled vs a lowly umass last week for quite a while. AGS for a reason though, much more season to play.

WrenFGun
October 8th, 2022, 01:48 PM
The interesting thing is that UNH should be favored to go 5-3 in the CAA [they're 3-0 with games against Stony Brook and Maine remaining]. Can they beat 1-3 Dartmouth to get to 6 wins? Can they go 2-1 against Richmond, Elon and URI? Can they go 3-0? 2 of those 3 games are at home.

This is not a phenomenal UNH team and they were pounded by NCCU at home, but there is a decent chance for this team to get to 7-8 wins this season and then see how the playoff bracket falls. For those used to previous UNH teams in the McDonnell era, this team is a lot different. When they win, they win with time of possession, ball control, long drives, etc. The defense held WMU to 6 3 and outs in the second half, but got nothing from the offense to help them out. 44-7 looks bad, but UNH had 50% more first downs than WMU, more rushing yards gained than WMU and held the ball for nearly 40 minutes. They held the ball for 37 minutes against Towson. 37 minutes against Albany.

I think Ricky Santos sat and watched where his teams went when he played. Scored tons of points, terrible defense, rarely couldn't compete against disciplined teams and he's trying to change that. Takes time, though. The defense isn't good enough, and as much as we're trying not to turn the ball over, we've turned it over 8 times in 5 games [4 picks, 4 fumbles] with 2 returned for TDs. I think the team is in the right direction and if they get more size and skill on the defensive side of the ball I think they'll be back in their rightful place near the top of the CAA in short-order.

UNHWildcat18
October 8th, 2022, 06:57 PM
After sadly not being able to make the game today I must say……Flo stinks. I haven’t been mad at the quality or announcers (except Maine vs Hampton, yikes they were dull) but overall it’s so annoying to pay 20 a month for a streaming service just for CAAFB. Yet ESPN app on my tv has literally every game on ESPN+ and ESPN3. Literally all of the other FCS leagues are on there. CAAFB needs to ditch flow, could care less what the Olympic sports CAA conference does but it’s embarrassing for CAAFB.

It’s gonna be a tough game next week for UNH, but I’m glad the granite bowl vs Dartmouth is on ESPN+ however.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 8th, 2022, 08:17 PM
After sadly not being able to make the game today I must say……Flo stinks. I haven’t been mad at the quality or announcers (except Maine vs Hampton, yikes they were dull) but overall it’s so annoying to pay 20 a month for a streaming service just for CAAFB. Yet ESPN app on my tv has literally every game on ESPN+ and ESPN3. Literally all of the other FCS leagues are on there. CAAFB needs to ditch flow, could care less what the Olympic sports CAA conference does but it’s embarrassing for CAAFB.

It’s gonna be a tough game next week for UNH, but I’m glad the granite bowl vs Dartmouth is on ESPN+ however.

Flosports sucks and yes the Hampton annoucers were dull, guess the only bright sport I paid $12.99 thru the CAA.

KPSUL
October 8th, 2022, 09:41 PM
UNH by the numbers:

4 How many conf games played

4 How many conf games won

0 How many conf games lost

0 How many other conf teams are 4-0 or better

0 How many conference opponents UNH was allowed to pick to play

0 How much difference whining about UNH's conference schedule will make

KPSUL
October 8th, 2022, 10:01 PM
That is correct but don’t think for a second I wouldn’t slight them if the opportunity presents itself... That week schedule they are playing is going to haunt somebody

Which week are you referring to?

UNHWildcat18
October 9th, 2022, 12:40 AM

UD fans seem to be still salty over that 7-4 season we got in and they didn't... The great MARTY conspiracy. Definitely had some good memes posted lol. Also depending on how the games play out... what if UNH goes 2-1 vs Rhody Elon and Richmond? I mean if we do that and beat maine and Dartmouth can anyone really complain? I understand we don't play W&M or UD but if we finish third or say tied for 4th amongst Elon or Richmond.......where will the excuses come from? and FBS loss? a loss to the potential MEAC champ? and a loss to a Top 4 CAA team? It's going to be one hell of a race the next few weeks. I hope the CAA gets 4 teams in this year

ncspiderfan
October 9th, 2022, 05:41 AM

Probably any week on the UNH schedule could be considered Very Weak excepting Elon and Richmond.

If Nova beats Richmond next week, at least the UNH win vs Monmouth looks better with Monmouth win over Nova.

Going to be interesting with the unbalanced schedule. I feared such a situation when the expansion started. There is going to come a time when the auto bid goes to a team who plays teams that have a combined conference record of less than 33% wins at some point. This year could be the first one right out of the gate.

At this point I suspect UNH will still have a lot to prove to the AGS poll voters, but we shall see when the poll comes out in a couple of days.
That group as a whole is pretty hard to fool.

You are correct however you have to play the games the conference told you to, so if UNH gets in they did what they should have and hats off to them.

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2022, 09:10 AM
I think the only thing I find odd is that UNH beat Monmouth, is 4-0 in the conference and as of last week was behind Monmouth in "ORV". Is it more important that Monmouth beat Villanova or that we beat Monmouth?

Rating pools sure are skeptical [61 in Massey, 46 in Sagarin] so long way to go, justifiably so.

IMO, the top 3 in the CAA are Elon, W&M and UD.

Of the next teams [URI, Monmouth, UNH, Villanova, Richmond] -- isn't the best win there either UNH over Monmouth or Monmouth over Villanova [and again, Monmouth lost to UNH]. I'm not sure I see a good argument for UNH not being rated 4th in the CAA in the polls, but as is typical AGS fashion, they'll somehow be ranked 8th in the CAA instead.

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 09:45 AM
My opinion on the UNH/Monmouth etc. "thing".. Lets look at each game.

UNH beat Monmouth in close game, beat Albany in close game, beat Towson in decent fashion and beat Stony brook in a somewhat close game. Then blown out by Western Michigan who is a below average FBS team albeit it is probably similar to a top 5 FCS team. And Beat handily by a NC Central team who is not good at all.

Monmouth lost to UNH, lost to a ranked Fordham team by 3 in a game that time just ran out, blew out Lehigh and Georgetown (two bad teams) beat Villanova who was ranked # 9 at the time and beat Albany in a close game.

Albany games wash out. Monmouth loss to Fordham = much better than UNH loss to NC Central. MU wins against Gtown and Lehigh I would say wash out against UNH wins against Towson and Stony Brook b/c Gtown and Lehigh are worse teams but we won in better fashion. Our win against Nova was big and def bigger than UNH beating us in week 1.

I think it is very close but the advantages Monmouth has-

-Week 1 matters a lot less, anything can happen (could be a factor in peoples minds)

- Beat a top 10 team on the road

- No bad losses

- loss to UNH, we sort of were in control and self destructed. Fordham came down to last play.

- Have an offense that looks to be able to score a lot of points and therefore maybe a more exciting team overall.

UNH advantages

- beat MU head to head

This one matters a lot, but probably not enough to make up for the fact that MU got a top 10 road win, has no bad losses and played UNH fairly even/close. Had UNH won like 38-10 and dominated it may be different. I think people assume if game played now the result would be different.

Also look at precedent. This happens all the time- I mean look at Nova? Still ranked top 15 while MU ORV and Nova has not done a thing and we beat them.Its all mostly BS as you know, but the problem is this year it matters and may not sort out.

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2022, 09:51 AM
I think the only thing I find odd is that UNH beat Monmouth, is 4-0 in the conference and as of last week was behind Monmouth in "ORV". Is it more important that Monmouth beat Villanova or that we beat Monmouth?

Rating pools sure are skeptical [61 in Massey, 46 in Sagarin] so long way to go, justifiably so.

IMO, the top 3 in the CAA are Elon, W&M and UD.

Of the next teams [URI, Monmouth, UNH, Villanova, Richmond] -- isn't the best win there either UNH over Monmouth or Monmouth over Villanova [and again, Monmouth lost to UNH]. I'm not sure I see a good argument for UNH not being rated 4th in the CAA in the polls, but as is typical AGS fashion, they'll somehow be ranked 8th in the CAA instead.

I would include Richmond in your top group

4 really good FCS teams at the top of the CAA

and the bad CAA teams are pretty bad

the middle is dangerous.. Nova and Monmouth

UNH 4-0 with the northern sked could potentially put a middle of the pack CAA team in playoffs while a better team stays home

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 9th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Great discussion, saw this early in the season that the Nroth CAA was not going to be as strong as the South. Still think it will straighten itself by year's end.
I will go ahead curse this discussion that FuBear has not come on here and trashed the CAA, sit back and see what happens,
Watched the UNH-Monmouth game and Monmouth seems like an entirely different team since that game.

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Great discussion, saw this early in the season that the Nroth CAA was not going to be as strong as the South. Still think it will straighten itself by year's end.
I will go ahead curse this discussion that FuBear has not come on here and trashed the CAA, sit back and see what happens,
Watched the UNH-Monmouth game and Monmouth seems like an entirely different team since that game.

The problem with Monmouth will be the Defense... will the explosive skill players be enough to overcome?

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 10:26 AM
The problem with Monmouth will be the Defense... will the explosive skill players be enough to overcome?

Unbiased info- Our defense is getting better. I know the box score does not indicate that, but we have a lot of good players on defense and I said from the start if we can just get them to be a C+ type unit we will be dangerous. They are getting there. Getting off the field more, making stops, not letting 15 turn into 50 and getting guys healthy. They are a work in progress and will not become dominant or even good, but we just need them to be adequate and opportunistic and honestly it is heading in the right direction.

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2022, 11:06 AM
I would include Richmond in your top group

4 really good FCS teams at the top of the CAA

and the bad CAA teams are pretty bad

the middle is dangerous.. Nova and Monmouth

UNH 4-0 with the northern sked could potentially put a middle of the pack CAA team in playoffs while a better team stays home

Why are you including Richmond with the top group? Their resume is worse than Monmouth's and UNH's. Is it the eye test here?

KPSUL
October 9th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Probably any week on the UNH schedule could be considered Very Weak excepting Elon and Richmond.

If Nova beats Richmond next week, at least the UNH win vs Monmouth looks better with Monmouth win over Nova.

Going to be interesting with the unbalanced schedule. I feared such a situation when the expansion started. There is going to come a time when the auto bid goes to a team who plays teams that have a combined conference record of less than 33% wins at some point. This year could be the first one right out of the gate.

At this point I suspect UNH will still have a lot to prove to the AGS poll voters, but we shall see when the poll comes out in a couple of days.
That group as a whole is pretty hard to fool.

You are correct however you have to play the games the conference told you to, so if UNH gets in they did what they should have and hats off to them.

While there is some good analysis in your post, a statement like "any week on the UNH schedule could be considered very weak except Elon or Richmond" demonstrates a poor understanding of the CAA or even college football in general. All you have to do is look at the scores in the 5 conference match-ups this past weekend - none of them looked like mismatches. I believe that out of Stony Brook, Albany, Maine and Towson, a couple teams will win a majority of their remaining games. You also inexplicably left two of UNH's scheduled opponents off your "except" list: Monmouth and Rhody.

I have no interest in "proving" anything to AGS voters, and could not much care whether or not UNH is ranked twenty-something in any poll. Coach Santos is playing the long game, rebuilding a winning program that can sustain over the long haul. Odds are he'll be successful. On the hand it looks like Russ Huesman has mortgaged his future by bringing in two Grad transfers to produce the preponderance of his offense for one year, probably in an attempt to save his job for a year or two. No doubt Richmond will be favored when UNH shows up next month; but it is always very satisfying to upset a a team that's been acquired on the open market.

Instead of relying on transitive property of equality, which is notoriously unreliable for predicting football results, we'll just focus on the 2nd half of the season game by game and see how things turn-out.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2022, 11:39 AM
My opinion on the UNH/Monmouth etc. "thing".. Lets look at each game.

UNH beat Monmouth in close game, beat Albany in close game, beat Towson in decent fashion and beat Stony brook in a somewhat close game. Then blown out by Western Michigan who is a below average FBS team albeit it is probably similar to a top 5 FCS team. And Beat handily by a NC Central team who is not good at all.

Monmouth lost to UNH, lost to a ranked Fordham team by 3 in a game that time just ran out, blew out Lehigh and Georgetown (two bad teams) beat Villanova who was ranked # 9 at the time and beat Albany in a close game.

Albany games wash out. Monmouth loss to Fordham = much better than UNH loss to NC Central. MU wins against Gtown and Lehigh I would say wash out against UNH wins against Towson and Stony Brook b/c Gtown and Lehigh are worse teams but we won in better fashion. Our win against Nova was big and def bigger than UNH beating us in week 1.

I think it is very close but the advantages Monmouth has-

-Week 1 matters a lot less, anything can happen (could be a factor in peoples minds)

- Beat a top 10 team on the road

- No bad losses

- loss to UNH, we sort of were in control and self destructed. Fordham came down to last play.

- Have an offense that looks to be able to score a lot of points and therefore maybe a more exciting team overall.

UNH advantages

- beat MU head to head

This one matters a lot, but probably not enough to make up for the fact that MU got a top 10 road win, has no bad losses and played UNH fairly even/close. Had UNH won like 38-10 and dominated it may be different. I think people assume if game played now the result would be different.

Also look at precedent. This happens all the time- I mean look at Nova? Still ranked top 15 while MU ORV and Nova has not done a thing and we beat them.Its all mostly BS as you know, but the problem is this year it matters and may not sort out.

A bunch of over analysis paralysis - move on! Head to head competition has been the #1 criterial on any tie breaker I"ve ever seen. Things will sort out as the season continues. You've got a very good team at Monmouth - enjoy it. Other than NDSU it doesn't last forever.

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 11:56 AM
A bunch of over analysis paralysis - move on! Things will sort out as the season continues. You've got a very good team at Monmouth - enjoy it. Other than NDSU it doesn't last forever.

I disagree that things will sort out. With 13 teams and a lot of parity, there will be a team in who may not deserve it and a team or 2 out who is probably more deserving than one who makes it. In terms of "moving on" LOL- this is all fun- not life or death but I am passionate about it and will post what I want when I want- I find it interesting and fun- no different than fools spending hours debating politics on FB except this is way more healthy.. You can choose not to read b/c there is way more coming!

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Why are you including Richmond with the top group? Their resume is worse than Monmouth's and UNH's. Is it the eye test here?

They had Elon beat on the road, had the ball in RZ very late in 4th quarter with chance to put game away ... obviously it didn’t happen that day. Eye test ? Mostly that. I like QB Udenski and WR Herres, both from VMI playoff team. They have other weapons as well. D is solid

We will certainly know more in the coming weeks.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2022, 12:14 PM
I disagree that things will sort out. With 13 teams and a lot of parity, there will be a team in who may not deserve it and a team or 2 out who is probably more deserving than one who makes it. In terms of "moving on" LOL- this is all fun- not life or death but I am passionate about it and will post what I want when I want- I find it interesting and fun- no different than fools spending hours debating politics on FB except this is way more healthy.. You can choose not to read b/c there is way more coming!

Head to head competition is #1 on the CAA tie-breaker rules and virtually every other one. And I don't read the majority of your posts on AGS, although your obsession with the UNH/Monmouth game results has become asinine. As long as we are disagreeing, I disagree that the primary purpose of AGS is to make whatever arguments for your teams, valid or not,
in an attempt to get them ranked as high as possible. In fact, it can adversely affect the objectivity of the AGS poll.

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2022, 12:14 PM
They had Elon beat on the road, had the ball in RZ very late in 4th quarter with chance to put game away ... obviously it didn’t happen that day. Eye test ? Mostly that. I like QB Udenski and WR Herres, both from VMI playoff team. They have other weapons as well. D is solid

We will certainly know more in the coming weeks.

I actually watched that game and left terrible unimpressed with both teams ability to finish the game. Richmond moved up and down the field and couldn't deliver any points, and Elon looked disinterested for much of the game.

We gonna give credit to Richmond for controlling the game against Elon and ignore the first down/top difference in the WMU game for UNH?

The only thing that matters to the committee is the wins you have and the losses you have.

--

I say this as a fan of the team that thinks the only way they get a sniff for the playoffs is if there's an absolute disaster at 7-4 or they get to 8-3. That means at least two wins against Richmond, Elon and Rhode Island, in addition to beating Maine and Dartmouth, neither of which are a sure thing [Border Battle/In-State Battle].

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2022, 12:19 PM
I actually watched that game and left terrible unimpressed with both teams ability to finish the game. Richmond moved up and down the field and couldn't deliver any points, and Elon looked disinterested for much of the game.

We gonna give credit to Richmond for controlling the game against Elon and ignore the first down/top difference in the WMU game for UNH?

The only thing that matters to the committee is the wins you have and the losses you have.

--

I say this as a fan of the team that thinks the only way they get a sniff for the playoffs is if there's an absolute disaster at 7-4 or they get to 8-3. That means at least two wins against Richmond, Elon and Rhode Island, in addition to beating Maine and Dartmouth, neither of which are a sure thing [Border Battle/In-State Battle].

I think when 2 pretty good teams match up, Neither looks as good as they really are because they kind of neutralize each other

Your take on the Elon Richmond game is just that

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Head to head competition is #1 on the CAA tie-breaker rules and virtually every other one. And I don't read the majority of your posts on AGS, although your obsession with the UNH/Monmouth game results has become asinine. As long as we are disagreeing, I disagree that the primary purpose of AGS is to make whatever arguments for your teams, valid or not,
in an attempt to get them ranked as high as possible. In fact, it can adversely affect the objectivity of the AGS poll.

Are you ok man? Say whatever you want, just make it true. I never said anything about a primary purpose for AGS. I also am not obsessed with the UNH/MU result, I simply replied to someone else's post trying to talk up UNH. I am def not trying to get my team ranked that is hilarious. Everything you just said is total conjecture. No beef man but at least be factual. By nature, when we speak of teams ratings etc it is mostly opinion, but when accusing someone of something, it is weak as hell to do it with an opinion, especially when we are talking about football. This is for fun no?

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2022, 12:26 PM
I think when 2 pretty good teams match up, Neither looks as good as they really are because they kind of neutralize each other

Your take on the Elon Richmond game is just that

Definitely possible. Not the way I saw it. Obviously plenty of season left.

Just don't think there's anything in Richmond's resume to warrant the view compared to UNH.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Are you ok man? Say whatever you want, just make it true. I never said anything about a primary purpose for AGS. I also am not obsessed with the UNH/MU result, I simply replied to someone else's post trying to talk up UNH. I am def not trying to get my team ranked that is hilarious. Everything you just said is total conjecture. No beef man but at least be factual. By nature, when we speak of teams ratings etc it is mostly opinion, but when accusing someone of something, it is weak as hell to do it with an opinion, especially when we are talking about football. This is for fun no?

The only thing I mention that is fact vs opinion in my last post is that Head to head competition is by far the most commonly used tie breaker. What is not factually correct about that? It is my opinion that since you tried to rationalize away the Monmouth loss or disparage the UNH win for the last 5 weeks in numerous posts that you are obsessed with the result. It is my opinion that you are singularly focused on promoting your team regardless of how it reflects on your credibility or objectively. And it is my opinion that in the unlikely event UNH and Monmouth end the season with 7-4 records and only one team is selected for the playoff field, it will be UNH due to the head to head results. In the highly unlikely event we are in a two-way tie for 1st in the CAA, UNH will definitely get the auto-bid. (I also view that as fact) I hope that makes my three line post clear enough for you!

caribbeanhen
October 9th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Definitely possible. Not the way I saw it. Obviously plenty of season left.

Just don't think there's anything in Richmond's resume to warrant the view compared to UNH.

Richmond didn’t get whipped at home by a MEAC team, been forever since that happened to a CAA team

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 01:23 PM
The only thing I mention that is fact vs opinion in my last post is that Head to head competition is by far the most commonly used tie breaker. What is not factually correct about that? It is my opinion that since you tried to rationalize away the Monmouth loss or disparage the UNH win for the last 5 weeks in numerous posts that you are obsessed with the result. It is my opinion that you are singularly focused on promoting your team regardless of how it reflects on your credibility or objectively. And it is my opinion that in the unlikely event UNH and Monmouth end the season with 7-4 records and only one team is selected for the playoff field, it will be UNH due to the head to head results. In the highly unlikely event we are in a two-way tie for 1st in the CAA, UNH will definitely get the auto-bid. (I also view that as fact) I hope that makes my three line post clear enough for you!

yep, cool..

KPSUL
October 9th, 2022, 02:24 PM
Richmond didn’t get whipped at home by a MEAC team, been forever since that happened to a CAA team

Another first for the New Hampshire Wildcats!xnodxxnodx xthumbsupx

MUHAWKS
October 9th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Another first for the New Hampshire Wildcats!xnodxxnodx xthumbsupx

I think some underestimate how good certain "non good" teams can be on given days. Like for example Georgetown or Presbyterian just will not be good on a given day to compete with a good team. But NC Central and the like will. This was what I was trying to explain about the Big South. Campbell blew the doors of NC Central who beat UNH handily. Yet teams get almost no credit for beating Campbell (who is decent).. So I get that you need to win all these games but I still think some folks do not understand they just are not consistent and do not know how to win but are very capable..

UNHWildcat18
October 9th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Yes we lost, when they win the MEAC, the committee won’t judge that loss that harshly(even if they should). You mentioned a more worthy team but to that I say which one? I fully expect UD Elon and W&M to make playoffs. UNH Richmond Monmouth Nova and URI are all in the mix for a 4th spot. If we go 4-1 and say only lose to Elon, who the **** would you argue is more worthy?

Nova and Monmouth are dangerous but UNH isn’t? We beat Monmouth and Novas Rushing defense is like a hastily placed group of traffic cones on the field. W&M and UD can have bad days vs stony Brook and Towson but if UNH does they are “not good”

WrenFGun
October 9th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Yes we lost, when they win the MEAC, the committee won’t judge that loss that harshly(even if they should). You mentioned a more worthy team but to that I say which one? I fully expect UD Elon and W&M to make playoffs. UNH Richmond Monmouth Nova and URI are all in the mix for a 4th spot. If we go 4-1 and say only lose to Elon, who the **** would you argue is more worthy?

Nova and Monmouth are dangerous but UNH isn’t? We beat Monmouth and Novas Rushing defense is like a hastily placed group of traffic cones on the field. W&M and UD can have bad days vs stony Brook and Towson but if UNH does they are “not good”

This board lost it with UNH when they justifiably got into the playoffs multiple times and the board disagreed. Years and years have past, there's still really no coming back from it.

- - - Updated - - -

This board lost it with UNH when they justifiably got into the playoffs multiple times and the board disagreed. Years and years have past, there's still really no coming back from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sitting Bull
October 9th, 2022, 09:24 PM
Week 6 Final Scores

Monmouth 38, UAlbany 31
att: 2,532
Maine 31 @Hampton 24
att: NA
Elon 27, Towson 10
att: 5,578
UNH 24, Stony Brook 14
att: 13,273
W&M 27, Delaware 21
att: 12,506

Sitting Bull
October 9th, 2022, 10:05 PM
Week 6 Leaderboard

We had three this week who swept the board, correctly picking all five games and picking up the maximum 10 points:
Crusader11, NYCrusader10 and CentralJerseyCat. Congrats!

YTD Standings
1. CentralJerseyCat. 60
UNHWildcat18. 60
2. NYCrusader10. 58
Sitting Bull. 58
3. Caribbeanhen. 57
GoTULehOwl. 57
4. Bonarae. 56
Gobluehens83. 56
Mr Chicken. 56
Kdinva. 56
5. Crusader11. 55
6. TheCats. 53
KPSUL. 53
Reeder. 53
7. CentMe 52
8. Gangtackle11. 51
9. Fubear. 47
10. Tribal. 35
11. Dane96. 26
12. Dbackjon. 19
13. Henjohn. 15

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2022, 05:39 AM

Richmond should be mentioned in the sentence with W&M, Delaware and Elon