PDA

View Full Version : Wagner/Syracuse had a shortened second half

bonarae
October 1st, 2022, 11:38 PM
https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/college-football-game-makes-stunning-decision-for-the-second-half

Will the NCAA take a look at game-time decisions like this in the offseason, such as shortening lengths of games? xchinscratchx

Libertine
October 2nd, 2022, 12:18 AM
Interesting. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I didn't realize that schools could agree to mercy-rule themselves.

Also, I can't imagine there was a ton of betting action on Wagner v. Syracuse but all those wagers got wiped off the board.

CockyGeek
October 2nd, 2022, 06:20 AM
Samford begged for a 12 minute 4th quarter against Georgia earlier in the year.

Sitting Bull
October 2nd, 2022, 07:07 AM
ODU did same their first year FBS playing at UNC. I think it’s ridiculous. Play the whole game if you’re going to schedule it.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2022, 09:10 AM
Clemson offered us a shortened 4th during the game in fall 2020. We said no.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2022, 09:22 AM
Agree with Sitting Bull when it comes to Division I games. Get every last player that's dressed into the game if injuries are a concern. Empty the bench.

My opinion is different when it comes to games like this that might happen at the high school level where a smaller school might only have 16 guys in uniform. Or maybe one of those small Christian schools that occasionally wind up on FCS schedules. Stephen F. Austin played one of these tomato cans last week, won 98-0...and went for two late in the game to try and hit the century mark but were stopped on the attempt.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2022, 09:24 AM

And wasn't Samford (relatively) competitive in that game compared to what Vegas was predicting? Samford also almost beat the Florida Gators last year.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2022, 09:27 AM

Didn't hear that. Curious. Source?

Libertine
October 2nd, 2022, 09:27 AM
Agree with Sitting Bull when it comes to Division I games. Get every last player that's dressed into the game if injuries are a concern. Empty the bench.

My opinion is different when it comes to games like this that might happen at the high school level where a smaller school might only have 16 guys in uniform. Or maybe one of those small Christian schools that occasionally wind up on FCS schedules. Stephen F. Austin played one of these tomato cans last week, won 98-0...and went for two late in the game to try and hit the century mark but were stopped on the attempt.

I completely agree on all of the above, although SFA actually took a knee on that 2XP attempt so as not to hit the century mark.

KPSUL
October 2nd, 2022, 09:44 AM
Play the whole game, or better yet, don't schedule a mismatch of this magnitude to begin with.

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2022, 09:58 AM
Mother Nature provided SFA a shortened 4th quarter against us this spring.

They seemed to appreciate it.

UAalum72
October 2nd, 2022, 12:54 PM
ODU did same their first year FBS playing at UNC. I think it’s ridiculous. Play the whole game if you’re going to schedule it.
Yeah, and after shortening the quarter to 10 minutes, UNC took a 4th-down knee at the ODU 3-yard line for an 80-20 win. I was highly amused since ODU didn't have a problem scoring a 4-yard touchdown with 30 seconds left to go up 66-10 vs. Albany, which was two weeks after they scored 76 vs. Howard.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2022, 07:00 PM
I completely agree on all of the above, although SFA actually took a knee on that 2XP attempt so as not to hit the century mark.

Got it, that makes sense. Someone on our message board actually referenced that game. I hypothesized that perhaps it was a botched snap or hold and the box score listed the play as a failed 2-pointer. I figured going for 2 in that scenario was so egregious that no coach would actually do that.

JacksFan40
October 3rd, 2022, 12:09 PM
Wagner just wanted the payout from Syracuse, and Syracuse just wanted the free win to get them closer to a bowl game. Wagner hasn't even won a game since 2019, and Syracuse is an undefeated, Top 25 P5 team, it was a mismatch of epic proportions.

atthewbon
October 3rd, 2022, 06:50 PM
This is stupid you should not shorten games at the Division 1 level. Though I think college football as a whole needs to find a way to make games shorter, they go way too long and seem to have way more dead time than the NFL. Stuff like less or shorter commercial breaks (unlikely to happen) or maybe change how frequently you stop the clock on out of bounds or first down plays could help.

NY Crusader 2010
October 3rd, 2022, 07:13 PM
This is stupid you should not shorten games at the Division 1 level. Though I think college football as a whole needs to find a way to make games shorter, they go way too long and seem to have way more dead time than the NFL. Stuff like less or shorter commercial breaks (unlikely to happen) or maybe change how frequently you stop the clock on out of bounds or first down plays could help.

Definitely wrong on that point. When you're actually at an NFL game live, you realize how much dead time there really is -- it's not as bad when you're binge watching the pro games from home. But, the college games do seem to be getting longer. HC-Harvard this past Saturday was more than 3 and a half hours long.

- - - Updated - - -

Has an FCS team ever beaten an FBS team so badly that a running clock was needed in the 4th quarter? I would love to see that happen one day.

kdinva
October 3rd, 2022, 07:19 PM
......But, the college games do seem to be getting longer. HC-Harvard this past Saturday was more than 3 and a half hours long...

...and good ole CBS has found a way to make the Army-Navy game 3:40. Without TV, Army-Navy could be done in 2:30

gofurman
October 4th, 2022, 11:07 PM
You should NEVER shorten a D1 football game for 3 reasons

1. It’s an insult to higher athletics. It aint Tee Ball. It’s freaking D1. If you get killed you get killed

2. And this is a big one for me. It may be the only game a 3rd or 4th string guy who,has worked his tail off for 5 years will ever see the field. Ever. His one chance to show up on a d1 box score! Let the kid play. The last 10 minutes may be his best chance

3. Some may not like this point …. but it’s true. people Do bet on FBS vs FCS for sure. I see these lines move all the time. Clemson was minus 44 on Furman and closed at -45. Meaning people were betting (more $ on Clemson to move that way). FYI Furman covered easy losing by 23. Point is there ARE bets - some big ones !! - on these games and to end them early can nullify these bets. Though I assume if the game has already gone over the Total that would play. ? All other bets would be nullified including the Under I assume.

clemson SC State cut the 4 quarter a few years back. Both coaches agreed.

atthewbon
October 5th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Definitely wrong on that point. When you're actually at an NFL game live, you realize how much dead time there really is -- it's not as bad when you're binge watching the pro games from home. But, the college games do seem to be getting longer. HC-Harvard this past Saturday was more than 3 and a half hours long.

- - - Updated - - -

Has an FCS team ever beaten an FBS team so badly that a running clock was needed in the 4th quarter? I would love to see that happen one day.

College games are on average 20 minutes longer than nfl games. Maybe it’s more pronounced in fbs games which are the majority of what I go to in person. I’ve never been to an nfl game so I can’t compare, but I do know colleges games last longer.

CockyGeek
October 5th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Didn't hear that. Curious. Source?
The TV broadcast said that Samford requested a shortened 4th quarter. They only lost 33-0. It wasn't a massacre or anything.