View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 6

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2022, 11:36 PM
Four strong favorites this week.

Fordham (4-1) at Lehigh (1-4), 12 noon
Princeton (3-0) at Lafayette (2-3) , 12:30 pm
Pennsylvania (3-0) at Georgetown (1-4), 2:00 pm
Bucknell (0-4) at Holy Cross (5-0), 4:00 pm (Polar Park)

bonarae
October 1st, 2022, 11:39 PM
Fordham
Princeton
Penn
Holy Cross

Straight up. Can the rest of the PL apart from HC and Fordham wake up in the coming seasons? xchinscratchx

UNHWildcat18
October 2nd, 2022, 08:30 AM
Fordham 55 Lehigh 7
Princeton 27 Lafayette 13
Penn 31 Georgetown 14
Holy cross 42 Bucknell 10

The Cats
October 2nd, 2022, 08:43 AM
Fordham
Princeton
Pennsylvania
Holy Cross

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2022, 09:12 AM
Fordham 52 Lehigh 35
Princeton 23 Lafayette 9
Penn 34 Georgetown 13
Holy Cross 37 Bucknell 13

Pard4Life
October 2nd, 2022, 11:31 AM
No surprises this week. Only story lines are:

What will be Fordham's margin of victory?
How many points can Lafayette score?
Will Georgetown score?
Can Holy Cross pitch a shutout at Polar Park?

Ivytalk
October 2nd, 2022, 12:53 PM
Ditto. All the favorites win. Nola contendere.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2022, 07:11 PM
Ditto. All the favorites win. Nola contendere.

He's pitching?? (;-)

ngineer
October 2nd, 2022, 07:19 PM
Playing Monmouth this week should help the Lehigh D understand what they will be facing. They will need to find ways to pressure DeMorat and force some turnovers. Last year was surprisingly close and it will be interesting to see if the start the freshman, Silbor. He can certain throw better than Perri, but whether he can 'run' the offense efficiently will need to be seen. Will Gilmore find the guts to take some chances and try to win? I think Lehigh makes it surprisingly competitive, ....for awhile. Fordham 45-31

Princeton should have no problem in Easton with their depth and speed. Leotard's win streak stops at one. Princeton 38-13

Penn appears to have a strong defense and moved the ball well against a highly regarded Dartmouth team Friday night. Hoyas will fight, but the Penn is mightier than the Rocks. 42-17

Bucky's turn in the barrel with the Crusader. 'saders take foot off the gas and coast 38-10

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2022, 11:25 AM
Penn appears to have a strong defense and moved the ball well against a highly regarded Dartmouth team Friday night. Hoyas will fight, but the Penn is mightier than the Rocks. 42-17

A win by the Quakers would mark Georgetown's 13th loss in 15 games dating to week 2 of the 2021 season. The looming problem is that 10 offensive starters for Georgetown are seniors or grad students.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2022, 03:45 PM
He's pitching?? (;-)
Nolo.

Damn spell check!

crusader11
October 3rd, 2022, 04:46 PM
A win by the Quakers would mark Georgetown's 13th loss in 15 games dating to week 2 of the 2021 season. The looming problem is that 10 offensive starters for Georgetown are seniors or grad students.

DFW, are you in the "it's time" camp for Sgarlata?

Seems like he's a decent coach who's done an okay job given the hand he's dealt, but after eight losing seasons, time to give someone else a shot?

Pard4Life
October 3rd, 2022, 07:48 PM

Seems like he's a decent coach who's done an okay job given the hand he's dealt, but after eight losing seasons, time to give someone else a shot?

Nah, being the head coach at Georgetown is a term-based position. One can only last so long before being burned out or ruined spiritually, so they mercy fire the coach and hire another.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2022, 09:11 PM

I said this before, at this point Sgarlata's tenure has run its course in DC. He has proven he can't make "chicken soup out of chicken poop" or was smart enough to get out of a dead-end gig when his stock was up a few years ago. Now he's nothing more than a captain willing to go down with a ship he knew had a leak well after lifelines were available.

TheValleyRaider
October 3rd, 2022, 09:46 PM
Interesting schedule. I would like to say something witty and clever, but these really do seem like easy picks. But then again, the easy ones is always when things get crazy right? Nah, who am I kidding, if one of us looks like a fool, it will be all of us, and big ones at that. Perhaps it might be more interesting to see how these get interesting. 4-1 last week, 24-6 for the year.

Fordham at Lehigh Fordham Fordham's clear weakness is their defense. Lehigh does not even need to be good offensively to move the ball, which is good for them, because they are not good offensively. But one or two gambles (should they be willing to take the shot) might make this close and see Fordham fall on the other side of a coin toss.

Princeton at Lafayette Princeton Even good Leopard teams struggle with Princeton. The fact this one struggles to score makes it unlikely this will be any different. Sounds like the setting for the truly unexpected, no? If Lafayette keeps this one close, it'll be their defense that does it. Again, strange things can happen in close games.

Penn at Georgetown Penn The Quakers can be held offensively, and Georgetown occasionally plays good defense. This is a hard one to see happening, but Penn did just play in OT. It was against Dartmouth, but maybe a few opportune turnovers...

Bucknell at Holy Cross Holy Cross This one being close probably involves Bucknell's defense playing above it's already decent self, and Holy Cross overlooking the Bison a bit. Or a lot. Or maybe thinking about Fordham in...3 weeks? Yeah this was hard.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2022, 10:00 PM
Nah, being the head coach at Georgetown is a term-based position. One can only last so long before being burned out or ruined spiritually, so they mercy fire the coach and hire another.

Georgetown has only had four coaches since 1970. None have been a mercy decision.

1. Scotty Glacken (1970-1992, 98-94-2): Fired by the athletic director after a 4-6 season in 1992 and in advance of the move to the MAAC. The official word was that the new coach would be a full time hire and Glacken, an investment advisor in his day job, was only a part time coach. Glacken retired from coaching and died in 2007.

2. Bob Benson (1993-2005, 72-64): A new AD wanted his own hire, asking for Benson's resignation after a 4-7 season. Benson is currently the DC at Penn.

3. Kevin Kelly (2006-2013, 24-63): Left unexpectedly after the 2013 season to take a assistant coach role at Ball State. His last college job was the DC at Bryant in 2018.

Fordham
October 4th, 2022, 08:44 AM
Fordham at Lehigh Fordham Fordham's clear weakness is their defense. Lehigh does not even need to be good offensively to move the ball, which is good for them, because they are not good offensively. But one or two gambles (should they be willing to take the shot) might make this close and see Fordham fall on the other side of a coin toss.

Princeton at Lafayette Princeton Even good Leopard teams struggle with Princeton. The fact this one struggles to score makes it unlikely this will be any different. Sounds like the setting for the truly unexpected, no? If Lafayette keeps this one close, it'll be their defense that does it. Again, strange things can happen in close games.

Can't argue. Fordham fans know that our offense is good enough to have us win pretty much any game we play (although we would really need to have things break our way v HC to have a shot). The problem is that our D puts us as risk of possibly losing any remaining game on our schedule as well, including this week. I would not be surprised if we have a battle on our hands here.

ngineer
October 4th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Nolo.

Damn spell check!

Figured you had Phillies on you mind!

Pards Rule
October 6th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Will they even make it past first round? I say GO EAGLES!!!

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2022, 01:16 PM
*your :p

And, yes. I feel good about the Cardinals series with Wheeler and Nola going.

ngineer
October 6th, 2022, 09:49 PM
Interesting schedule. I would like to say something witty and clever, but these really do seem like easy picks. But then again, the easy ones is always when things get crazy right? Nah, who am I kidding, if one of us looks like a fool, it will be all of us, and big ones at that. Perhaps it might be more interesting to see how these get interesting. 4-1 last week, 24-6 for the year.

Penn at Georgetown Penn The Quakers can be held offensively, and Georgetown occasionally plays good defense. This is a hard one to see happening, but Penn did just play in OT. It was against Dartmouth, but maybe a few opportune turnovers...

Bucknell at Holy Cross Holy Cross This one being close probably involves Bucknell's defense playing above it's already decent self, and Holy Cross overlooking the Bison a bit. Or a lot. Or maybe thinking about Fordham in...3 weeks? Yeah this was hard.

That's the problem. There is no imagination on offense and Gilmore was gutless at Princeton and last week against Monmouth. Nothing to lose. Non-league games. Heavy underdogs. 4th and less than one he punts on one and misses a field goal on the other. I could see in a game that was meaningful for a championship you might want to take the 3 points, but punting into the end zone was ridiculous. Lehigh had a heck of a performance last year against Fordham in the Bronx. The defense is going to have to harass and try and force DeMorat into some mistakes. Hopefully some turnovers. Offense must establish run game and run clock while getting points. Keeping DeMorat off the field is the best defense.

ngineer
October 6th, 2022, 09:52 PM
*your :p

And, yes. I feel good about the Cardinals series with Wheeler and Nola going.

Absolutely. Phillies in two. Rest 'em up and have them go again in the Division round.

Go...gate
October 7th, 2022, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;3078440]Four strong favorites this week.

Fordham 33, Lehigh 22

Princeton 27, Lafayette 17

Pennsylvania 21, Georgetown 7

Holy Cross 42, Bucknell 20

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Penn 30 Georgetown 13
Holy Cross 38 Bucknell 10
Princeton 24 Lafayette 14
Fordham 52 Lehigh 17

Leopard Loyalist
October 7th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Fordham 48 Lehigh 20
Princeton 21 Lafayette 17
Pennsylvania 28 Georgetown 10
Holy Cross 42 Bucknell 7

RichH2
October 8th, 2022, 09:45 AM
Fordham
Princeton
Penn
Holy Cross
Diminished expectations. Is keeping Fordham under 50 and Lehigh scoring more than 21. Truly ridicuridiculous.. I hope TG and SB actually try to win this game.. Getting beat by a better team is no disgrace if you show up to fight.. That we don't have a better team by now,no matter the excuses ,requires new leadership.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Lehigh returns the opening kickoff for a TD!! I don't think anyone was within 5 yards of the returner the whole time.....Lehigh 7-0 14:45 1Q

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Lehigh returns the opening kickoff for a TD!! I don't think anyone was within 5 yards of the returner the whole time.....Lehigh 7-0 14:45 1Q

That was an incredible display of not maintaining contain by Fordham, but also great blocking by Lehigh. Really don't think Fordham laid a hand on the Lehigh return man.

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Lehigh returns the opening kick for a TD and then scoop and score after a DeMorat fumble gives Lehigh a 14-0 lead. Wow.

Fordham loves getting down early...let's see how they respond.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Lehigh coming out like the '85 Bears for the second straight year against the Rams! A defensive TD following a strip sack! 14-0 Mountain Hawks 11:02 1Q

RichH2
October 8th, 2022, 11:16 AM
A shocking but fun start. How long will that keep players amped?

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 11:18 AM
At the game, amazing start for Lehigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:19 AM
A shocking but fun start. How long will that keep players amped?I'm heading back home from DC in about 45 minutes so I won't be able to see the conclusion. Obviously, this is a helluva start. But it's how you finish. We've seen this script before. The offense needs to step up....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:22 AM
The Rams strike right back....Lehigh 14-7 8:12 1Q

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Fordham with a 30+ yard TD run. The Rams cut the Lehigh lead to 14-7.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 11:32 AM
Fordham with a 50+ yard TD pass. The game is now tied at 14-14.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:32 AM
Fordham has awaken! Game on! Lehigh's offense and defense better respond!14-14 5:39 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Lehigh fails on 4th and 7 (defense was offside) then 4th and 2....good grief.....

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Lehigh fails on 4th and 7 (defense was offside) then 4th and 2....good grief.....

Yeah, I’m not sure what the receiver did there. It looked like he didn’t reach out for the ball.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 11:53 AM
At least the Mountain Hawks’ defense didn’t give up a touchdown on that last drive, but Fordham still takes a 17-14 lead with a field goal after a solid drive.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Lehigh reclaims the lead with a nice drive!

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Fordham with a fumble on the kickoff return, Lehigh recovers.

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 12:43 PM
21-17 Lehigh at the half.

Their offense really just struggles. They're going to need another non-offensive score or the defense / special teams to set them up with a short field if they're going to win this game.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Fordham quickly strikes after the 2nd half kickoff, taking only 2 plays to go 76 yards to score a go-ahead touchdown. Their first play was a 63 yard catch and run. The Rams reclaim the lead 24-21.

Pards Rule
October 8th, 2022, 01:10 PM
And all we got is a safety. At half Princeton 20 Lafayette 2

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Lehigh’s Swiss cheese defense strikes again; a Fordham receiver was wide open on a long bomb. The Rams now lead 31-21.

UNHWildcat18
October 8th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Lehighs brief pulse is gone. Fordham scores a FG 34-21

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2022, 01:31 PM
Penn 17
Georgetown 0
8:19 1st

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Lehigh is not dead yet; they drive down the field for a touchdown to make it a one score game (34-28) early in the 4th quarter.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 02:04 PM
Long catch and run for a touchdown for Fordham. They fail on the 2 point conversion, so the Rams lead 40-28.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Fordham beats Lehigh 40-28.

Pards Rule
October 8th, 2022, 02:44 PM
Princeton 23 Lafayette 2 FINAL. RECORDS! When was the last time Lafayette only scored 2 in a game???

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Bucknell would struggle to win the Centennial Conference.

Besides having a dearth of talent, this is a poorly coached and undisciplined team.

Very disappointing for the PL.

CHIP72
October 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Bucknell would struggle to win the Centennial Conference.

Besides having a dearth of talent, this is a poorly coached and undisciplined team.

Very disappointing for the PL.

Bucknell will need to schedule an end of season game with nearby Susquehanna, one of the strongest teams in the Centennial Conference in recent years.

Southsider
October 8th, 2022, 03:55 PM
The Lehigh program is in a death spiral. I spoke to the father of a Lehigh player in the 4th. Qtr. His kid is a Sr. and said he can't wait until the season is over. He has a year of eligibility left and is searching for a grad school with a winner so he can experience what success looks like. While Gilmore is plain awful, this trend started long before he got here. Oh, and on a gorgeous afternoon they may have been 3k in the seats.

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2022, 04:28 PM
The Lehigh program is in a death spiral. I spoke to the father of a Lehigh player in the 4th. Qtr. His kid is a Sr. and said he can't wait until the season is over. He has a year of eligibility left and is searching for a grad school with a winner so he can experience what success looks like. While Gilmore is plain awful, this trend started long before he got here. Oh, and on a gorgeous afternoon they may have been 3k in the seats.

Hold my beer.

https://tinyurl.com/b6m84n5z

Leopard Loyalist
October 8th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Princeton 23 Lafayette 2 FINAL. RECORDS! When was the last time Lafayette only scored 2 in a game???

October 25, 1975: Colgate 56 Lafayette 2

Sader87
October 8th, 2022, 05:14 PM
I have no idea why Sluka and others are still out there for HC in the 3rd Q......dumb imo

crusader11
October 8th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Sluka was pulled with around five minutes left in the 3rd. Not like he played into the 4th.

Southsider
October 8th, 2022, 05:52 PM
Hey, your "O" scored 28. LU's scored 14.xsmhx

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2022, 05:54 PM
HC and Fordham are a combined 11-1. The rest of the league is a combined 5-23.

At the PL offices, everything's fine.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2022, 06:05 PM
HC and Lehigh are a combined 11-1. The rest of the league is a combined 5-23.

At the PL offices, everything's fine.

This isn't 1991 :p

Lehigh, Bucknell, Georgetown and Lafayette are varying degrees of awful. Colgate is at best mediocre....

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Corrected.

ngineer
October 8th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Well, I was at Goodman, too. What a gorgeous day for football. Of course, it was "Pacing Weekend" for the University so virtually all of the students left campus on Thursday night...including 60% of the Marching '97...one of the still good reasons to attend a Lehigh football game. You will see precision marching, and excellent musical performance along with some fun. Precision and excellence is not what you will find during the 'game'.

Yes, Lehigh made a game of it, but only through the mechanism of special teams and turnovers. I do give the kids credit for playing hard. But, they are just outclassed in the skills area. The OL still struggles with frosh getting eaten up. QB Perri running for his life. Technically, he was only sacked once, I think, but he was a harassed horribly all day. A number of poorly thrown balls because he has no time to set himself. There were times DeMorat could have had a cup of coffee in his rocking chair--500 freakin' yards passing! Tackling was horrendous. Easily lost count of number of broken "tackles". Too much grabbing and arm reaching.

Another point. At Princeton it was 10-10 at half. Today Lehigh lead 21-17. Both games Lehigh lost. It does not seem we are capable of making adjustments at the half or on the fly.

Well, at least I know, now, where I will be on November 12 when Oklahoma State wrestles Lehigh at Grace Hall. Not in Goodman.

Fordham
October 8th, 2022, 08:28 PM
This is a truly great HC team. They beat a Buffalo team who stomped Bowling Green today and the Ohio team that Fordham (not on par with HC imo) SHOULD have beaten thrashed Akron. I know transitive property doesn’t always apply but I seriously think this HC team would be in the mix for the MAC title this year.

UNHWildcat18
October 8th, 2022, 08:41 PM
This is a truly great HC team. They beat a Buffalo team who stomped Bowling Green today and the Ohio team that Fordham (not on par with HC imo) SHOULD have beaten thrashed Akron. I know transitive property doesn’t always apply but I seriously think this HC team would be in the mix for the MAC title this year.

I am very excited to see how HC does in the playoff this year, however sadly with this success…I wouldn’t be surprised if Chesney gets poached…. Not by a very bottom level FBS team but what if BC came calling?

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2022, 09:02 PM
I am very excited to see how HC does in the playoff this year, however sadly with this success…I wouldn’t be surprised if Chesney gets poached…. Not by a very bottom level FBS team but what if BC came calling?

Navy might be an opening as well.

Sader87
October 8th, 2022, 11:48 PM
BC I could see Chesney going to, Navy not so much....Navy is almost a lateral move imo.

Go...gate
October 9th, 2022, 02:17 AM
Thankfully, Colgate did not lose. West Point next week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Thankfully, Colgate did not lose. West Point next week.

Win! Colgate scheduled two FBS games to challenge themselves and make the players aspire to greatness regardless of difference in subdivisions! Time to rise up and prove your worth! No excuses! Win!!

crusader11
October 9th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Would HC win the MAC this year?

Bill
October 9th, 2022, 03:27 PM
I don't know. Delaware Valley is pretty goodxlolx

Ramblin' Man
October 9th, 2022, 06:45 PM

The most famous 2 point game: the 1942 Sugar Bowl: Fordham 2, Missouri 0. The lowest possible winning score in football.

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/sports/2022/4/15/eighth-annual-sugar-bowl-classic-january-1-1942.aspx

ngineer
October 9th, 2022, 11:26 PM
I always thought that is a hell of an effort for two measly points. Blocking an XP and running about 90 yards, but I guess you can't make its worth more than a FG. Considering the 'pards defense, I was looking for a safety.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2022, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE=Ramblin' Man;3080882]The most famous 2 point game: the 1942 Sugar Bowl: Fordham 2, Missouri 0. The lowest possible winning score in football.

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/sports/2022/4/15/eighth-annual-sugar-bowl-classic-january-1-1942.aspx[/QUOT

October 25, 1975, Colgate 56, Lafayette 2 in Hamilton.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2022, 12:57 AM
Win! Colgate scheduled two FBS games to challenge themselves and make the players aspire to greatness regardless of difference in subdivisions! Time to rise up and prove your worth! No excuses! Win!!

Well said. Go Red Raiders!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2022, 08:45 AM
Well said. Go Red Raiders!!

Only if you're delusional :pxnodx

Colgate is vastly inferior relative to their most of FCS peers let alone teams FBS programs. It's hard to overcome inferior talent and skill that permeates throughout the Raider roster....

crusader11
October 10th, 2022, 09:47 AM
An angry Jeff Monken and Army rolls Colgate by 30+.

Remember, this is a team that beat Villanova 49-10 a month ago.

Get out of Michie healthy and have a chance at winning four in a row against the bottom of the PL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2022, 09:49 AM
An angry Jeff Monken and Army rolls Colgate by 30+.

Remember, this is a team that beat Villanova 49-10 a month ago.

Get out of Michie healthy and have a chance at winning four in a row against the bottom of the PL.

Exactly! The bar for Colgate at this point is middle of the pack in a terrible league. That is REALITY.....

Go...gate
October 11th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Only if you're delusional :pxnodx

Colgate is vastly inferior relative to their most of FCS peers let alone teams FBS programs. It's hard to overcome inferior talent and skill that permeates throughout the Raider roster....

Perhaps we are, but we aren't afraid to step up and play FBS clubs.

Go...gate
October 11th, 2022, 08:52 PM
Exactly! The bar for Colgate at this point is middle of the pack in a terrible league. That is REALITY.....

You think Colgate is satisfied with that? Think again.

KPSUL
October 11th, 2022, 08:57 PM

No. But maybe the Ivy.

crusader11
October 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
What a ridiculous question.

But is it?

Buffalo is 3-0 in the MAC. Two of those wins blowing out EMU and Bowling Green.

My post was a bit facetious, but I firmly believe HC would contend in the MAC this year. Toledo would certainly be tough.

Might be tough to come to terms with after WMU thrashed UNH, I know.

Not really far fetched that the top five or ten teams in the FCS each year would be near the top of the MAC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2022, 09:33 PM
You think Colgate is satisfied with that? Think again.

Not being satisfied and having the ability to facilitate change, sadly, do not always go hand in hand....

Go...gate
October 12th, 2022, 02:20 AM
Not being satisfied and having the ability to facilitate change, sadly, do not always go hand in hand....

Colgate has no less the ability to facilitate change than Lehigh does. We know what it means to see administrators willfully neglect or intentionally act to shut down a football program and we are not doing that, nor will we be again any time soon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Colgate has no less the ability to facilitate change than Lehigh does. We know what it means to see administrators willfully neglect or intentionally act to shut down a football program and we are not doing that, nor will we be again any time soon.

I hear you Gate but the current state of the league and its immediate future from a competitive standpoint does not look good. The fact Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate and Georgetown are all truly bad does Holy Cross and Fordham no favors in terms of perception and competitive preparation. There's one thing to be so-so, middling, "competitively bad" but those 5 teams (except MAYBE Colgate) are among the very worst teams in all of FCS.

Lehigh clearly has a terrible coach. What is the administration's plan?
How long of a leash does Dakosty have?
Bucknell appears to have given up on football. Will there be Bison football in 5-8 years? I'm starting to wonder.
Lafayette hasn't had a winning season (full-slate) since 2009.
Georgetown has clearly indicated they are not interested in doing what it takes to field a competitive program.

NY Crusader 2010
October 12th, 2022, 03:15 PM
But is it?

My post was a bit facetious, but I firmly believe HC would contend in the MAC this year. Toledo would certainly be tough.

Not really far fetched that the top five or ten teams in the FCS each year would be near the top of the MAC.

Starting to look like the Buffalo-Kent State game will decide the MAC East and a ticket to Detroit for the championship game. Buffalo also beat Miami (OH), who I thought they'd play to within a score but not actually beat. Miami played a competitive game against Top 25 Kentucky.

Not that it matters for the MAC standings but Buffalo heads to Amherst for a classic trap game against UMASS. Something tells me this game is going to be competitive, I have the Bulls on upset alert. Definitely a game you want to win if you're Buffalo to get to 4-3 and that much closer to a bowl berth.

crusader11
October 12th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Last spread I saw for the UB - UMass game was UB -17. That's crazy high, IMO.

It is amusing to me that a team Holy Cross beat is favored by three scores on the road against UMass. Ha.

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Bucknell appears to have given up on football. Will there be Bison football in 5-8 years? I'm starting to wonder.
Georgetown has clearly indicated they are not interested in doing what it takes to field a competitive program.

1. What gives you concern Bucknell football won't be there?
2. What has Georgetown "clearly indicated" that they haven't indicated, oh, 10 years ago?

NY Crusader 2010
October 12th, 2022, 07:56 PM
BC I could see Chesney going to, Navy not so much....Navy is almost a lateral move imo.

No it's not. But service academies tend to look for candidates more familiar with "their system". The offense, dealing with all the military stuff, the prep school, etc.

NY Crusader 2010
October 12th, 2022, 08:05 PM

It's only a matter of time, and the right opening coming to light before Chesney goes. At this point, I think the idea of him leaving for another FCS gig or shaky FBS opening has passed. BC's head coach Hafley is in year three, and this is his first HC job after years in both the collegiate and NFL ranks. Eagles are currently 2-4 and will be underdogs in 4 of their final 6 games in all likelihood. Meaning that after three seasons Hafley will have posted records of 6-5, 6-6 with an expected 4-8 for 2022. Not sure when his contract is up.

Holy Cross opens at BC next year. Chesney running out of the tunnel as the opposing coach next September is a sobering thought. But if you're BC right now and after this season decide that Hafley isn't the guy, who would be higher on your list than Bob Chesney?

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2022, 08:19 PM
It's only a matter of time, and the right opening coming to light before Chesney goes. At this point, I think the idea of him leaving for another FCS gig or shaky FBS opening has passed. BC's head coach Hafley is in year three, and this is his first HC job after years in both the collegiate and NFL ranks. Eagles are currently 2-4 and will be underdogs in 4 of their final 6 games in all likelihood. Meaning that after three seasons Hafley will have posted records of 6-5, 6-6 with an expected 4-8 for 2022. Not sure when his contract is up.

They signed an extension last year through 2026 at $3M a year. BC may not be able to buy him out for a while.

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/football/jeff-hafley-contract-extension

Go...gate
October 12th, 2022, 10:57 PM
As to Dakosty, I would think he would get four or five years at Colgate.

Is the league struggling overall? Not in Worcester or the Bronx. The rest of us have to catch up.

Go...gate
October 12th, 2022, 11:20 PM
I strongly believe that Lehigh will find themselves again. High hopes for Lafayette and Bucknell.

One word for Georgetown: SCHOLARSHIPS.

The Boogie Down
October 13th, 2022, 12:38 AM
The fact Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate and Georgetown are all truly bad does Holy Cross and Fordham no favors in terms of perception and competitive preparation. There's one thing to be so-so, middling, "competitively bad" but those 5 teams (except MAYBE Colgate) are among the very worst teams in all of FCS.

Lehigh clearly has a terrible coach. What is the administration's plan?
How long of a leash does Dakosty have?
Lafayette hasn't had a winning season (full-slate) since 2009.

As to Dakosty, I would think he would get four or five years at Colgate.

Is the league struggling overall? Not in Worcester or the Bronx. The rest of us have to catch up.

The problem is that the rest never catch up. This has been a "2 team + everyone else" league since about 2010. Actually even that's not true. It's really been a 1 team + everyone else since that time. At first that one team was Lehigh, then Fordham, then Colgate and now it's Holy Cross. Occasionally, like right now w/Fordham, there is a nice little 2nd banana too but, more often than not, this has been a 1 club league since 2010.

We can say the others just have to catch up but that never really happens, does it?

Georgetown has never been ranked. They have the potential to be the single best of this entire bunch but it'll never happen unless they break the AI. Bucknell, unranked since 1996, has been Bucknell for the better part of 20 years and no one seems to give a damn. Lafayette, unranked since 2009, is quickly becoming a rich man's Bucknell. Been a loooong time since their many posters had much to say here. Will any one of those three catch up anytime soon?

Lehigh has been done in by a horrible head coach, and tragically, one that was dying before that. Maybe they're just a good hire away from turning it all around. HC and Fordham have proven they can be very good with the right coach and very bad with the wrong one. Maybe that'll happen at Lehigh too. Even if it did however, we'd still be far removed from the days when Lehigh could just put anyone on the sidelines and they'd win. So, to me at least, the days of Lehigh being one of those "premier Northeastern programs," like the PL version of Delaware, are long gone.

Then there's Colgate. That program truly puzzles me. Not much glitz or glam up in the tundra. They draw like a D-III team and have for decades. Yet, every time it looks like they've slipped to middling status, or worse, they make a nice run in the playoffs. For all we know they'll be back in the QF's next year.

Add it all up and that's one team that can't play, one team that won't play, one team that'll only play a little, two teams that are only as good as the guy leading them, one team that had been a truly legit program but has fallen due to a tragedy and later incompetence + solidly erratic Colgate.

Except for Lehigh now being part of the s-show, this is how it's been since 2010. The league doesn't seem to care. But, who knows, maybe they're right? The new & unimproved CAA is down, the Ivies seem a little down too, even the NEC is more down than usual. Hmmmm, maybe Patsy play is hijacking those leagues the way Patsy fans used to hijack CAA/NEC/Ivy threads!?!

NY Crusader 2010
October 13th, 2022, 05:44 AM
I strongly believe that Lehigh will find themselves again. High hopes for Lafayette and Bucknell.

Lehigh will be back. Need to circle the wagons after this season and find the right head coach. You'd think being located in PSAC country, you'd have a pretty good luck at one or two prospective solid D2 coaches looking to make the jump, a la Chesney from Assumption to Holy Cross.

Colgate IMO is already on the slow upswing from their disastrous 2019 and 2020. Moving on after someone who could be considered the all-time dean of PL coaches not easy. Finished a "quiet" second in the PL last year and still could do the same again if they can find a way to slow DeMorat down again in the Bronx. Come to think of it, if Colgate beats Fordham and Fordham beats Holy Cross, we could still have a three-way tie for the league => unfortunately for Colgate that would likely end up with HC getting the auto-bid and Fordham getting the 2nd bid as an at-large while Raiders stay home, albeit with rings.

Lafayette - "rich man's Bucknell". Someone said it perfectly. I'll elaborate "rich man's Bucknell in football, poor man's Bucknell in basketball". That's what this athletic program has been. Despite the renewed commitment 20 years ago to remaining DI, the stadium and Kirby Center renovations and holding it's weight in an iconic CFB rivalry, Lafayette continues to define mediocrity. Even when they're good, which is increasingly rare, they're "mediocre good". As in Lafayette-New Hampshire or losing to Villanova by a million in the NCAA basketball tournament after winning the PL.

Bucknell - I never understood the pure apathy towards football. Sure, it's a basketball school but located in the heart of central PA not far from Happy Valley. Plus, a great mid-point between the two fertile recruiting grounds of metro Pittsburgh and the state of New Jersey.

In order for the Patriot League to not be a two-team league, or a one-team league, it basically comes down to this realistically. Need a level of sustained success at Holy Cross, Fordham, Lehigh and Colgate. Those are the core four. Sorry Lafayette, we keep waiting for you guys to regain your mid-to-late 2000's form and it just never happens. Sort of how during the late 2000's and early 2010's every year we kept anointing Bucknell as the pre-season most improved. And then they'd end up being...Bucknell. So I'll believe it when I see it from the bottom 3. IMO, this season is the proof that the Patriot League needs to finally consider non-medical redshirting. Look at Holy Cross this year -- those 16 returning 5th year seniors have made a difference don't you think?

KPSUL
October 13th, 2022, 08:35 AM
But is it?

Whoo, slow down a bit. Holy Cross has won 1 playoff game in the past 12 years (probably longer but I got tired of looking). Now you're fantasizing about winning a 12 team FBS conference? You asked the question, did you expect no one would answer?

Fordham
October 13th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Whoo, slow down a bit. Holy Cross has won 1 playoff game in the past 12 years (probably longer but I got tired of looking). Now you're fantasizing about winning a 12 team FBS conference? You asked the question, did you expect no one would answer?

hahaha. I understand why a UNH fan would want to go back to around 2010 but c'mon! Seriously, too funny but who cares about the last 12 years v what HC has been under Chesney? Totally different program now v then

Fwiw, I believe I was the first to bring up that HC would be competing for the MAC championship this year and it was based not only on their results v Buffalo but also ours v Ohio (who HC would have crushed imo) and then a series of transitive property observations. Of course the transitive stuff doesn't matter but it's the first time we've had a team where we can have this fun, if goofy and meaningless, discussion. Fordham's wins v Temple and Army under Moorhead were not ones where we ran the table in the rest of our games or where those two schools were in the mix for their league title. Pretty cool stuff and an historic season thus far for HC as far as PL teams go. Of course, they'll need to get by us and then make a nice run in the playoffs for it to truly be historic but they certainly have that potential imo.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2022, 09:27 AM

Georgetown with 60 scholarships is... Bucknell. You don't win needing to sign 60 kids with SAT scores from the NEPSAC.

crusader11
October 13th, 2022, 09:52 AM

How does 2010 have any relevancy to 2022?

For that matter, how does 2020 have any relevancy to 2022?

It's about this season and this season only.

The MAC is without question a worse and weaker league now than it was several years ago.

This also isn't just about Holy Cross, it's about any other FCS team ranked inside the top ten.

Ask yourself the question, on a neutral field, how many MAC schools would be favored against HC? Toledo, Kent St, and Miami maybe?

It's a fun hypothetical. Hell, if NDSU or SDSU were in the MAC this season, both would be the Vegas favorites to win the league. Same could probably be said for the Montana schools.

Fordham
October 13th, 2022, 09:55 AM
Georgetown with 60 scholarships is... Bucknell. You don't win needing to sign 60 kids with SAT scores from the NEPSAC.

i call bs. Gtown with 60 would be able to go head to head with the Ivies, oftentimes now with the advantage of the full ride. You would also then compete with and land some of the kids headed to other PL schools where they get a scholarship but don't consider Gtown now. Finally, go recruit even more nationally and you'll find a few more who will get admitted - we're only talking approx 15 kids per year, DFW - you're not trying to land 60 at a time!

There is zero chance a good coach couldn't immediately elevate your program to be competitive with the top of the PL and most FCS schools, even with the admissions challenges if able to go out and offer full rides to Gtown.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2022, 01:22 PM
i call bs. Gtown with 60 would be able to go head to head with the Ivies, oftentimes now with the advantage of the full ride. You would also then compete with and land some of the kids headed to other PL schools where they get a scholarship but don't consider Gtown now. Finally, go recruit even more nationally and you'll find a few more who will get admitted - we're only talking approx 15 kids per year, DFW - you're not trying to land 60 at a time! There is zero chance a good coach couldn't immediately elevate your program to be competitive with the top of the PL and most FCS schools, even with the admissions challenges if able to go out and offer full rides to Gtown.

A scholarship is two related gifts: 1) a full ride and 2) an offer of admission. The first won't work without the second. As long as Georgetown is held to an academic index which disqualifies candidates beyond one standard deviation, the pool of impact candidates is rather small. A 1480 SAT represents the 97th percentile of the SAT's, and probably a higher number for male student-athletes. A low income kid with those numbers would be admitted to Georgetown with full need already, but have a lot of great offers elsewhere too. Absent a fair chance of admission, the additive cost is only for those with a HHI over $65,000 who are getting free rides elsewhere, largely to get a break on tuition.

The Bucknell example is an apt one. They can go head to head with the Ivies. They can recruit nationally. But people don't see it as a destination to play football, because that's the Patriot League. Holy Cross 2022 is a once in a generation team, but the five other PL schools with scholarships would be clobbered regularly in the CAA. Why? The constraints of the AI and the lack of interest from top recruits. How many running backs say "I was going to play at Maryland but when I saw Bucknell's football facilities, well, I was sold."

Not against scholarships per se, but Georgetown has only ~60 men's scholarships across 14 men's sports. Making the case to double that number for just one team in a non-Big East sponsored sport is a reach.

KPSUL
October 13th, 2022, 03:33 PM
hahaha. I understand why a UNH fan would want to go back to around 2010 but c'mon! Seriously, too funny but who cares about the last 12 years v what HC has been under Chesney? Totally different program now v then

Fwiw, I believe I was the first to bring up that HC would be competing for the MAC championship this year and it was based not only on their results v Buffalo but also ours v Ohio (who HC would have crushed imo) and then a series of transitive property observations. Of course the transitive stuff doesn't matter but it's the first time we've had a team where we can have this fun, if goofy and meaningless, discussion. Fordham's wins v Temple and Army under Moorhead were not ones where we ran the table in the rest of our games or where those two schools were in the mix for their league title. Pretty cool stuff and an historic season thus far for HC as far as PL teams go. Of course, they'll need to get by us and then make a nice run in the playoffs for it to truly be historic but they certainly have that potential imo.

I didn't make that post to brag about UNH in fact I made no comparison what-so-ever. But since you apparently can't put the past behind you, as recently as 2017,(3 not 12 seasons ago) UNH went to the Quarter-finals. Understandably you guys only have very short attention spans - the run of successful seasons you'd classify as domination spans no more than two seasons - then it's back to mediocrity.

It's ok with me if you make-believe about anything you'd like.

Fordham
October 13th, 2022, 04:09 PM
I didn't make that post to brag about UNH in fact I made no comparison what-so-ever. But since you apparently can't put the past behind you, as recently as 2017,(3 not 12 seasons ago) UNH went to the Quarter-finals. Understandably you guys only have very short attention spans - the run of successful seasons you'd classify as domination spans no more than two seasons - then it's back to mediocrity.

It's ok with me if you make-believe about anything you'd like.

ooof - lighten up. was purely tic in terms of the UNH line. It was just a funny way to comment on the worthlessness of referencing 10 years ago. UNH has had a tremendous program for a long time and there's certainly no need for you to be this sensitive about things.

Still, the point about your reference to the last 10+ years stands - why does it matter when looking at this year's Chesney-led team?

Finally, re-read the second paragraph. Focus on the part that references the HC as MAC champs discussion as "fun, goofy and meaningless." No one here is taking this discussion in an overly serious way imo. Except you apparently

NY Crusader 2010
October 13th, 2022, 05:57 PM
A scholarship is two related gifts: 1) a full ride and 2) an offer of admission. The first won't work without the second. As long as Georgetown is held to an academic index which disqualifies candidates beyond one standard deviation, the pool of impact candidates is rather small. A 1480 SAT represents the 97th percentile of the SAT's, and probably a higher number for male student-athletes. A low income kid with those numbers would be admitted to Georgetown with full need already, but have a lot of great offers elsewhere too. Absent a fair chance of admission, the additive cost is only for those with a HHI over $65,000 who are getting free rides elsewhere, largely to get a break on tuition.

The Bucknell example is an apt one. They can go head to head with the Ivies. They can recruit nationally. But people don't see it as a destination to play football, because that's the Patriot League. Holy Cross 2022 is a once in a generation team, but the five other PL schools with scholarships would be clobbered regularly in the CAA. Why? The constraints of the AI and the lack of interest from top recruits. How many running backs say "I was going to play at Maryland but when I saw Bucknell's football facilities, well, I was sold."

Not against scholarships per se, but Georgetown has only ~60 men's scholarships across 14 men's sports. Making the case to double that number for just one team in a non-Big East sponsored sport is a reach.

Why would football playing in a "non-Big East sport" be a factor in that decision-making? Didn't stop Fordham from going all in on scholarships for a "non-A-10 sponsored sport". Look over at your rival Villanova. The only Big East sport that anyone really cares about is M/W Basketball and after that lacrosse at a handful of schools, Georgetown being one. A Georgetown football team playing at the level of Holy Cross this year or last year would make it the 2nd most high-profile team in the athletic dept. by a landslide.

NY Crusader 2010
October 13th, 2022, 06:04 PM
They signed an extension last year through 2026 at $3M a year. BC may not be able to buy him out for a while.

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/football/jeff-hafley-contract-extension

Agreed, we may be safe on the BC front until at least 2025.

NY Crusader 2010
October 13th, 2022, 06:08 PM
How does 2010 have any relevancy to 2022?

For that matter, how does 2020 have any relevancy to 2022?

It's about this season and this season only.

The MAC is without question a worse and weaker league now than it was several years ago.

This also isn't just about Holy Cross, it's about any other FCS team ranked inside the top ten.

Ask yourself the question, on a neutral field, how many MAC schools would be favored against HC? Toledo, Kent St, and Miami maybe?

It's a fun hypothetical. Hell, if NDSU or SDSU were in the MAC this season, both would be the Vegas favorites to win the league. Same could probably be said for the Montana schools.

North Dakota State, if you took their last 10 teams and put them in the MAC those 10 seasons, might win 9 out of 10 league championships.

I know it's been a while but remember when Marshall jumped from FCS to the MAC and immediately became the flagship league program overnight? Having Randy Moss and Chad Pennington, and then a couple years later, Byron Leftwich at QB, certainly helped. UMass obviously did not experience similar success in their FCS => MAC jump.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Why would football playing in a "non-Big East sport" be a factor in that decision-making? Didn't stop Fordham from going all in on scholarships for a "non-A-10 sponsored sport". Look over at your rival Villanova. The only Big East sport that anyone really cares about is M/W Basketball and after that lacrosse at a handful of schools, Georgetown being one. A Georgetown football team playing at the level of Holy Cross this year or last year would make it the 2nd most high-profile team in the athletic dept. by a landslide.

A total of 24 of Georgetown's 30 teams play in the Big East, excepting football, men's and women's rowing, women's and coed sailing, and squash. But of those 24, only six are fully funded with scholarships. It would make some sense institutionally to better fund those sports in the Big East to which GU is a full member.

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2022, 08:43 PM
Lehigh will be back. Need to circle the wagons after this season and find the right head coach. You'd think being located in PSAC country, you'd have a pretty good luck at one or two prospective solid D2 coaches looking to make the jump, a la Chesney from Assumption to Holy Cross.

Colgate IMO is already on the slow upswing from their disastrous 2019 and 2020. Moving on after someone who could be considered the all-time dean of PL coaches not easy. Finished a "quiet" second in the PL last year and still could do the same again if they can find a way to slow DeMorat down again in the Bronx. Come to think of it, if Colgate beats Fordham and Fordham beats Holy Cross, we could still have a three-way tie for the league => unfortunately for Colgate that would likely end up with HC getting the auto-bid and Fordham getting the 2nd bid as an at-large while Raiders stay home, albeit with rings.

Lafayette - "rich man's Bucknell". Someone said it perfectly. I'll elaborate "rich man's Bucknell in football, poor man's Bucknell in basketball". That's what this athletic program has been. Despite the renewed commitment 20 years ago to remaining DI, the stadium and Kirby Center renovations and holding it's weight in an iconic CFB rivalry, Lafayette continues to define mediocrity. Even when they're good, which is increasingly rare, they're "mediocre good". As in Lafayette-New Hampshire or losing to Villanova by a million in the NCAA basketball tournament after winning the PL.

Bucknell - I never understood the pure apathy towards football. Sure, it's a basketball school but located in the heart of central PA not far from Happy Valley. Plus, a great mid-point between the two fertile recruiting grounds of metro Pittsburgh and the state of New Jersey.

In order for the Patriot League to not be a two-team league, or a one-team league, it basically comes down to this realistically. Need a level of sustained success at Holy Cross, Fordham, Lehigh and Colgate. Those are the core four. Sorry Lafayette, we keep waiting for you guys to regain your mid-to-late 2000's form and it just never happens. Sort of how during the late 2000's and early 2010's every year we kept anointing Bucknell as the pre-season most improved. And then they'd end up being...Bucknell. So I'll believe it when I see it from the bottom 3. IMO, this season is the proof that the Patriot League needs to finally consider non-medical redshirting. Look at Holy Cross this year -- those 16 returning 5th year seniors have made a difference don't you think?

Lafayette has been terrible at football because it has had middling leadership in key positions. We held onto Frank Tavani way too long. Tavani should have been gone after the 2012 season, when start 5-2, including a loss to Robert Morris (and many other bizarre losses through the years) ends in a 5-6 season. He only gets canned after a ONE win season and a TWO win season, one in which we were shutout in (I think) three straight games including by Georgetown - but that did not get him fired. He was finally forced into retirement in 2016 - which included some bizarre statement about being owed money in a post-game Lehigh press conference.

Then we hire John Garrett - a name with no HC experience and spotty stays at various programs. Offense never developed despite being a offensive genius with national pedigree. We showed promise after having zero reserves for 2-3 years but seemingly peaked last year.

We have a competent AD now, who was hired in 2018-ish. She made her first hires in football and basketball in the past 10 months (Basketball another issue - O'Hanlon stayed around probably 10 years too long). Our President comes from Notre Dame, UVA, and UNC. She cares about the sports program. We finally have accountability - let's see where it gets us.

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2022, 08:46 PM
T
Lafayette, unranked since 2009, is quickly becoming a rich man's Bucknell. Been a loooong time since their many posters had much to say here.

Whoa whoa whoa ... shall we resurrect the UNH-Lafayette playoff thread??

The Boogie Down
October 13th, 2022, 09:18 PM
A total of 24 of Georgetown's 30 teams play in the Big East, excepting football, men's and women's rowing, women's and coed sailing, and squash. But of those 24, only six are fully funded with scholarships. It would make some sense institutionally to better fund those sports in the Big East to which GU is a full member.

It would make some sense institutionally to better fund those sports in any conference (see Fordham in the PL or Villanova in the New CAA) that draw the most (or near the most) paying customers and provide the most (or near the most) in alumni donations.

I'm guessing at Georgetown, football is top-3 in both yet they get no scholarships. But, somehow, lesser sports do get scholarships?

So yeah, it goes without saying that Georgetown needs to go scholly. If Duquesne can do it, I'm sure their far richer and far more prestigious cousins down in DC can figure something out. Also goes without saying that HC should not be a tenured position. If it takes more than 3/4 years to build a sustained winner, it's time to move on.

All that said, yes, the AI is the 600lb gorilla on Georgetown's back. Unfortunately, I can't find it now (is there no "archives" section to look up older comments?) but I do remember being on this forum and learning about some sorta temporary loosening of the AI given to Penn in the early '80s. I believe it happened again w/Columbia in the late '80s, until each of those respective programs could rebuild. Again, I forget the details and can't find it archived, but maybe Georgetown could get that type of dispensation from the league?

If not, then just break the AI!

I'm sure, like Fordham when they went rogue and started giving out scholarships, that would immediately make Georgetown ineligible for any league crown. But I'm also sure it would also give them their best shot at finally winning at this level. And, who knows? Maybe they'd find other schools willing to follow their lead? Especially with PL/IL OOC scheduling already having fallen off over the years.

The Boogie Down
October 13th, 2022, 09:26 PM

I stand corrected and the answer to that question is almost always "Yes!" But let's hold off until we're a little closer to the playoffs. Who knows, UNH might be playing a Patsy this November.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2022, 10:20 AM
It would make some sense institutionally to better fund those sports in any conference (see Fordham in the PL or Villanova in the New CAA) that draw the most (or near the most) paying customers and provide the most (or near the most) in alumni donations. I'm guessing at Georgetown, football is top-3 in both yet they get no scholarships. But, somehow, lesser sports do get scholarships?

From a pragmatic sense, scholarships have more impact in smaller sports. Ten scholarships elevated Georgetown soccer from a perpetual .500 team to an NCAA championship. Ten scholarships would elevate volleyball into the Top 25. Absent AI reform, ten scholarships for football simply means Penn beats Georgetown by 21 instead of 31.

Practically speaking, this is a non-starter for a quote 10 years ago by Georgetown's president following the 6-1 vote to add scholarships. When asked if Georgetown would follow suit, he replied, and I quote, "I am not supportive of moving to a scholarship program. I don’t believe that fits the ethos and the culture of Georgetown, and I believe the way that the Patriot League is conducted is exactly the right place for us to be, and I’m hopeful that it will continue to be the best place for us to be, but I’m not supportive of moving to a scholarship program and I’m not supportive that Georgetown would follow the move that Fordham did and go to 63 scholarships." We can disagree on this but that was the direction in 2012 and it's the same in 2022.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Always!!! Hard to believe 10 seasons ago - 2013. Next year we can celebrate the 10th anniversary in Durham at that restaurant in the circle. KPSUL my friend what is its name? Haha Saxbys Coffee lasted a minute at UNH!