PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH AT DELAWARE

ngineer
September 5th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Okay--a lot of people have had this date circled for a long time. Will 'she' be all that's we've heard? Will someone get 'knocked off their feet'? Who will go 'head over heels'? Or, will it be the 'blind date from hell'? Will there be a 'quick score', or a 'defensive struggle'? ;)
It's still early in the week, but I would be interested in hearing the various opinions on how this drama will be played out. Obviously, I have my bias, but also can objectively recognize strengths and weaknesses.
I see a close game that could well come down to a final play. Each team has certain 'edges', and both with something to prove--whether Lehigh 'belongs' on the same field with the vaunted Blue Hens, and whether Delaware is really all that 'young' to be seen as a true national contender.
I'll come out early with my pick--Lehigh 27 Delaware 21, but reserve the right for some modification once the injury list is published on Wednesday.

ChickenMan
September 6th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Many questions for UD going into the season opener... young players at WRs... DB... DL... OL. The Hens enter the season as a young team with a lot of very talented guys who haven't yet played... but that doesn't mean that they can't play. I don't think anyone really knows what to expect from UD... I wouldn't be surprised if they won or lost by two or more TDs.

ChickenMan
September 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I just checked out the stats from the Lehigh/Monmouth game... Monmouth out gained Lehigh... 411 to 391 and held LU to only 47 yrds rushing... :eek: I have a feeling that LU will have to perform quite a bit better than they did vs MU... if they want a shot at whipping the Hens... :nod:

Fordham
September 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Guys - I'm really looking forward to this one. Good luck this weekend to my fellow PL'ers - you've got a fan in NYC rooting for you big this weekend.

ChickenMan- I hear you on the win or loss. It'll be interesting to see what story comes out of this weekend. Will it be that an inexperienced UD team falls to the top ranked PL team or will it be that this is clearly a down year for the PL, given the week 1 results (which would also have to take into account the other big A10-PL matchups this week). Or will it simply be what most are expecting, which is just a good, hard fought game by two top teams?

It should be interesting.

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM
This game will be a great one to follow. You have to put Lehigh down a TD or two just by virture of playing in the Tub. I think they have the offense to do it, and the defense should just get better with every game. I don't think it's clear who will win, so if you can, WATCH THIS GAME!

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I'll pick UD, 27-24.

LUHawker
September 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I just checked out the stats from the Lehigh/Monmouth game... Monmouth out gained Lehigh... 411 to 391 and held LU to only 47 yrds rushing... :eek: I have a feeling that LU will have to perform quite a bit better than they did vs MU... if they want a shot at whipping the Hens... :nod:

I agree that Lehigh will have to run the ball better, but keep in mind that Monmouth's strategy was to pack the box on D and challenge LU to pass on them; that strategy obviously didn't work out so well for them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I agree that Lehigh will have to run the ball better, but keep in mind that Monmouth's strategy was to pack the box on D and challenge LU to pass on them; that strategy obviously didn't work out so well for them.

Anyone who thinks UD for that matter is going to win this game easily is crazy i think, and there's a lot on Gohens.net. UD will not have a speed advantage which many believe they will. Ask JMU last year, Lehigh's UD was awesome in that game and had speed to match JMU all day, getting off the ball extremely well. Lehigh has to run the ball effectively to win the game. Saturday's performance wasn't perfect but the fact is they still won by 28 points. The pass D will be better but is expected to bend but not break. Yardage is less important then TD's. UD will have a tough time running i think on Lehigh. Morgan in the middle is a legit All-American at DT and Lehigh rested him early on Saturday. UD will be able to pass but i don't think they'll get more then 300 yards like Monmouth did. This is a very even game. Lehigh has the athletes i believe equal to that of UD, a lot more so then in '99 and '00. Can't wait til the Tub Saturday night.

LBPop
September 6th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I have a feeling that LU will have to perform quite a bit better than they did vs MU... if they want a shot at whipping the Hens... :nod:

The very good teams (and I consider Lehigh to be that) often play to the level of their opponent. No disrespect to Monmouth--I thought they had a real chance to upset the Mtn. Hawks, but Lehigh's class showed itself and they put away a stubborn, quality team. I would expect Lehigh to take their play to (ugh, I hate this term) another level**. I would love to see this one, but I will be otherwise occupied.

**I couldn't think of another way to say it, but I promise that I will never say that anyone will take them "one game at a time". The only time I have ever seen someone take them "two games at a time" is in baseball during spring training when they do a split squad deal. Maybe some spring day the Manager will say, "We're going to take them two games at a time". :D

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
You have to put Lehigh down a TD or two just by virture of playing in the Tub.
Don't know about that. The UD/LU series has been more about what decade it is, rather than where the game is played.

1912 - Lehigh, 45-0
1938 - *Lehigh, 32-0
1939 - Lehigh, 39-7
1950 - Lehigh, 21-0

1951 - *Delaware, 7-0
1952 - Delaware, 7-6
1953 - *Delaware, 26-13
1954 - Delaware, 21-0

1955 - *Lehigh, 19-13
1956 - Delaware, 33-7
1957 - *Lehigh, 19-14
1958 - Lehigh, 8-7
1959 - *Delaware, 12-7
1960 - Lehigh, 27-14

1961 - *Delaware, 14-6
1962 - Delaware, 27-0
1963 - *Delaware, 30-0
1964 - Delaware, 46-8
1965 - Delaware, 42-21
1966 - *Delaware, 41-0
1967 - *Delaware, 33-10
1968 - Delaware, 37-13
1969 - *Delaware, 42-14
1970 - Lehigh, 36-13
1971 - *Delaware, 49-22
1972 - *Delaware, 28-22
1973 - Delaware, 21-9
1974 - Delaware, 14-7

1975 - *Lehigh, 35-23
1978 - Lehigh, 27-17
1979 - *Delaware, 21-14
1980 - Lehigh, 27-20
1981 - *Lehigh, 24-21
1982 - Delaware, 20-19
1983 - *Lehigh, 24-19
1984 - Lehigh, 46-6
1985 - *Lehigh, 16-14

1986 - *Delaware, 28-17
1987 - Delaware, 28-24
1993 - *Delaware, 62-21
1994 - Delaware, 45-29
1996 - *Delaware, 49-7
1997 - Delaware, 24-19
1998 - *Lehigh, 42-35
2000 - *Delaware, 49-22
*=at Delaware

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Don't know about that. The UD/LU series has been more about what decade it is, rather than where the game is played.

Maybe that's unique to Lehigh/UD, but generally, wouldn't you say home field advantage is important to UD? It's got to be worth something.

HensRock
September 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Maybe that's unique to Lehigh/UD, but generally, wouldn't you say home field advantage is important to UD? It's got to be worth something.

Yeah, about 4.5. @ GoHens.net :D

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Yes, but I'd have to venture a guess that UD doesn't have the same kind of numbers as a Montana or GSU at home. Perhaps that has something to do with the cometition coming to the Tub. :p

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Perhaps that has something to do with the cometition coming to the Tub. :p

Now that's what makes Mr. 89 a classy fella - the ability to laugh at oneself! :)

ngineer
September 6th, 2005, 12:16 PM
While the passing yardage allowed should be of some concern, I think the absence of Nelson on the left corner was noticeable. His replacement lead the team in tackles, but that was partly due to MU constantly throwing in his direction, and he got burned a couple times. The rush also improved significantly in the second half. I would fully expect a major tightening of the 'D' by Wilcher this week. Lehigh will have to run more effectively. They didn't run much at all last week--1/3 of the time was qb scramble--so it had to do somewhat with what MU was giving Lehigh.
I believe the Lehigh offensive line vs. UD's defensive front will be the key. Borda, with protection, is deadly--especially with the receivers he has this year. LU will need some daylight, though, for Rath and Thompson to keep the D honest.
UD has some great untested athletes, which will be a wild card as to whether they have already 'grown up' or get opening night jitters.

bluehenbillk
September 6th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I see a tight game, UD has some holes, but I feel a little better after the LU/MU game. To say that UD won't have a speed advantage though just means you don't know anything about UD's team. Say what you want about UD but if there is one thing they do have is speed, more than any UD team I've ever seen. UD will be the fastest team on the field every time they take the field this season.

ngineer
September 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
No doubt about the speed, overall. But at least we do have some burners this year in a few key areas. In years past we've never had speed--the traditional achilles heel for Lehigh. At least now, we can actually make our opponents think about another aspect of our game that they never had to worry about before.
I'm actually a little concerned about our size--we're not 'huge'--no 300 pounders in the starting line and several in the 265-270 range, which is 'small' in today's world. Hopefully their quickness, not speed, will counterbalance.

HenHouse1
September 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Monmouth is a poor-marginal team from a poor-marginal conference. Lehigh gave up too many points to them. Delaware's question marks are on Defense, don't worry about the wide recievers. Delaware's speed at WR is just too much for Lehigh, plus Lehigh will not be able to stop Omar Cuff and Danny Jones. Lehigh is overrated due to the fact they have had a good record the past couple years versus marginal competition. the only advantage Lehigh has is that they have a game under their belt. they are coming into a hostile enviroment in Delaware Stadium (that has been sold out for weeks so its gonna be rockin). Prediction Delaware 48 Lehigh 17

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Is HenHouse1 the new HaroldR?

ChickenMan
September 6th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Prediction Delaware 48 Lehigh 17

That score is wildly optimistic even for UD's 2nd week opponent... West Chester...

charliej
September 6th, 2005, 07:12 PM
That score is wildly optimistic even for UD's 2nd week opponent... West Chester...

Isn't that spelled w-e-a-k? :D

I jest...LU got off to a real slow start Sat but did wake up in the second half.Not the only team to suffer from first game rust this week.

I suspect UD may have a bit o' the jitters themselves in their first game,but not bad enough to lose one at home.

27-24 UD

blukeys
September 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Careful 13 HaroldR has resurfaced on the Hens' boards. He may be back soon. :eek: :eek:

ngineer
September 6th, 2005, 09:00 PM

He's been hittin' the Kool Aid :D

Go...gate
September 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I am rooting for Lehigh but think Delaware will win by a touchdown - it will be fun to watch!

umassfan
September 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I see a tight game, UD has some holes, but I feel a little better after the LU/MU game. To say that UD won't have a speed advantage though just means you don't know anything about UD's team. Say what you want about UD but if there is one thing they do have is speed, more than any UD team I've ever seen. UD will be the fastest team on the field every time they take the field this season.
Are you going to stake a stop watch out every week and time them?

RadMann
September 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM
A few articles on the upcoming game from the Allentown, PA paper (Lehigh's local paper):

Increasingly rare Lehigh vs. Delaware match is one to savor
The two nationally ranked teams haven't met since 2000, and may not meet again for quite a while.
By Keith Groller
Of The Morning Call

Lehigh-Delaware. Still has a nice ring to it.

Even though it hasn't happened since 2000 and has happened just six times since the Blue Hens visited Bethlehem in 1987, the final year of Taylor Stadium, it remains one of I-AA football's most special rivalries.

So it wasn't a surprise that Saturday's series renewal at Delaware Stadium sold out faster than any game in Blue Hens history.

Lehigh Valley football fans not fortunate enough to get one of the 22,000 tickets will have to settle for TV coverage on Channel 69.

It's not only a matchup between the nation's 10th ranked team (Delaware) and No. 14 (Lehigh) and a game that could have NCAA playoff implications, it's also a revival of a series that evokes memories of great players, teams and coaches.

It's a game that, in the eyes of many on both sides, should be on the schedule every year...."

The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-lehighfeaturesep08,0,6358548.story?coll=all-sports-hed)
------------------------------------------

Keeler carries on tradition
The Emmaus native has kept Delaware among the I-AA elite and the program's finicky fans happy.

By Paul Reinhard
Special to The Morning Call

It was the day before Christmas, 2003, and K.C. Keeler still had one gift to buy.

So, with orders from his wife, Janice, to purchase a University of Delaware sweatshirt for his daughter, Kate, Keeler and his young son, Jackson, went to the Five and Dime on Main Street.

Keeler had coached Delaware to its first NCAA I-AA football national championship only a couple of weeks earlier; and on Christmas Eve day, the Five and Dime received a shipment of Blue Hen championship merchandise.

''There was a huge crowd in the back of the store waiting for them to get the stuff out of the boxes … more than 100 people,'' recalled Keeler, who begins his fourth season as Blue Hen coach Saturday night when Delaware entertains Lehigh before a sellout crowd at Delaware Stadium. ''We were looking at stuff and all of a sudden they saw me. They started congratulating me. Pretty soon, there's a person standing in front of me with a Sharpie and a championship hat. 'I'm getting this for my grandfather, and it would be great to have it signed by you,' he said. I signed it, and before you knew it, a long line had formed. I was there signing stuff for two hours.''

The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/highschool/all-keelerfeaturesep08,0,6644933.story?coll=all-sports-hed)

LUHawker
September 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Delaware fans have been uncharacteristically quiet on this board. Hmm... I wonder if there is a nervous anxiety brewing down in Newark. :( The mere thought of a loss to Lehigh in the Tub seems to have sent UDees scattering. I think the Matt Dougherty prediction has them concerned.

RadMann
September 8th, 2005, 09:56 PM
LUHawker: Nah, but I do think there is a lot of uncertainty for UD fans given the loss of some key players and the relative youth of the team this year. I don't think the uncertainty has to do with Lehigh per se....

FlyBoy8
September 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I think the Matt Dougherty prediction has them concerned.

:D Funniest thing I've heard all day.

The day a prediction made by anyone other than Keeler makes Blue Hen Nation concernced is the day I turn into a fat lady and ride my flying pig over Delaware Stadium.

If Tubby Raymond himself said he thought Lehigh would win by three touchdowns, that would faze about two people.

Ha ha.

bluehenbillk
September 9th, 2005, 06:49 AM
50% of the posters on this site have more 1-AA knowledge than pimpled-face Matt Dougherty. He makes Tony Moss look like a genius.

colgate13
September 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Delaware fans have been uncharacteristically quiet on this board.

Not to rain on the parade, but UD fans have been IMO a fairly respectable and restrained bunch. Sure they'll have fun and smack around but boasting and mud slinging is not necessarily their forte.

Now, if HaroldR returns... all bets are off!

(did I really just make two HaroldR references in one week? Am I really asking for it or what? :eek:)

blukeys
September 9th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Now, if HaroldR returns... all bets are off!

(did I really just make two HaroldR references in one week? Am I really asking for it or what? :eek:)

You keep trying to court disaster 13. ;) ;) If u no who returns you will be held responsible! ;) ;) :D

89Hen
September 9th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Delaware fans have been uncharacteristically quiet on this board. Hmm... I wonder if there is a nervous anxiety brewing down in Newark. :( The mere thought of a loss to Lehigh in the Tub seems to have sent UDees scattering.
A loss?!?! To Lehigh?!?!! :lmao: It will be a slaughter like you've never seen. Lehigh will be lucky to get a first down. The Morning Call sucks and so does Lembo. Guys and girls at Lehigh look alike. The day a Patriot League team beats Delaware is the day that monkey fly out of my arse. :mad: ;) How's that?

GannonFan
September 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM
You keep trying to court disaster 13. ;) ;) If u no who returns you will be held responsible! ;) ;) :D

It's like a Beetlejuice thing - if you say his name enough *poof* he'll pop up out of nowhere!

LUHawker
September 9th, 2005, 09:47 AM
The day a Patriot League team beats Delaware is the day that monkey fly out of my arse. :mad: ;) How's that?

So you're saying that you've actually crapped a monkey in '99, are ya? :D

colgate13
September 9th, 2005, 09:55 AM
It's like a Beetlejuice thing - if you say his name enough *poof* he'll pop up out of nowhere!

I thought that was "Candyman"?

http://www.lethaldeath.com/Crimson/Images/ResidentDVDvil/CandyMan.jpg

FightinBluHen51
September 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
50% of the posters on this site have more 1-AA knowledge than pimpled-face Matt Dougherty. He makes Tony Moss look like a genius.

Ummm hmmmm.

That and I've been pretty busy lately.

Dukester
September 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
If DE were to lose this game(which I think is VERY unlikely) - they'd have an uphill climb the whole season.

ChickenMan
September 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
1AA had best hope that UD isn't a contender this year... as this UD team will only get better over the next few seasons.

GannonFan
September 9th, 2005, 12:00 PM
If DE were to lose this game(which I think is VERY unlikely) - they'd have an uphill climb the whole season.

Nah, we lost the first game out of the box last year and still made the playoffs, and that was without the sweet 7-game home schedule we have this year. Granted, it's easier if we don't lose the first game, but I'm not packing it in if we go 0-1, not that I hope that happens of course. This game could actually be surprising as UD could be much, much better than many, including me, think they are. Who knows, we could still have that undefeated JMU come in to play undefeated UD later in October.

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Umm, or maybe it'd be because Lehigh is a decent team and UD would be playing in their first game. This game means more to Lehigh than Delaware, I think, in terms of how well the rest of their season will go.

With that said, Lehigh 28 - Delaware 24

89Hen
September 9th, 2005, 02:59 PM
This game means more to Lehigh than Delaware, I think, in terms of how well the rest of their season will go.
No chance. I said this either in this thread earlier or another... UD has a much tougher road to the playoffs in the A10 than LU has in the PL. Not that either will win their conference, but you have to agree on that. LU will most likely face one ranked team in conference, UD will face at least 4.

colgate13
September 9th, 2005, 03:03 PM
No chance. I said this either in this thread earlier or another... UD has a much tougher road to the playoffs in the A10 than LU has in the PL. Not that either will win their conference, but you have to agree on that. LU will most likely face one ranked team in conference, UD will face at least 4.

I read it as this game means more to Lehigh to get into the playoffs because it is their marquee OOC. If they stumble in the PL or lose the tie-breaker, this game can get them in. UD has plenty of opportunities to earn an at-large. Lehigh's chance is this weekend.

Ivytalk
September 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
If Lehigh beats UD at the Tub, I'll call the Harvard coach and tell him to "mail it in" on October 1.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I read it as this game means more to Lehigh to get into the playoffs because it is their marquee OOC. If they stumble in the PL or lose the tie-breaker, this game can get them in. UD has plenty of opportunities to earn an at-large. Lehigh's chance is this weekend.

Lehigh has another chance in early October at Harvard to help there cause. I think If they go 1-1 against UD and Harvard that would give them a hiccup and they still could get in 9-2. Hopefully Lafayette or another PL team will sneak in the Top 25 to help things out. Personlly i think as long as Lehigh plays 60 minutes of good football tomorrow and shows there one of the 16 best teams in 1-AA it will carry some weight. It's tough for any school to go into Newark and leave with a W. I think the Harvard game is much more important in terms of winning then the UD game.

RadMann
September 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
It should be a very good game. While it is a new season, what did JMU beat Lehigh by in the playoffs last year? I think it was 1 point, so Lehigh is very competitive to say the least. UD has a good home field advantage though, at least most years.

ngineer
September 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM
The weather forecast for tomorrow evening looks great. Temp will be in low 70's at kickoff and be in the low 60's by game end. I sense a beautiful night of football. Gettin' some special hoagies made for the pregame meal--extra onions to ward off the crazed hens ;)
Most people I talk to think this will be a high scoring game--UD having a youthful D and Lehigh's being a little thin. For some reason, I still sense that the respective 'D's will come up bigger than people think. Some will depend on how much the OC's will 'open it up' or play it conservative. However, the last two meetings between LU and UD have been high scoring, Lehigh winning 42-35 in '99 and UD 47-22 in '00.
Six of the seven Morning Call writers picked UD the other day--again, the majority expecting a high scoring close game. TSN picks Lehigh.
Bottom line: I'm cheering like mad for the Mountain Hawks. I'm going down to New Ark expecting a 'W' (and I don't think the Prez is showing up). But at the very least I want a great game, hard fought, and that the outcome doesn't turn on a fluke or controversial call. My 'biased' pick: Lehigh 27-24.
Here's to a spirited battle where both teams leave it all out on the field. May the best team win! :D

FlyBoy8
September 10th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Let's get this show on the road! Thanks be to the football gods for great weather (feel free to dump something on Newark when we play UMass ;) )

UD 34
LU 24

UD better not make a habit of starting their season late, I just can't handle this much anticipation. Good luck, Lehigh. I hope you don't crash our party!

RadMann
September 10th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Below are pre-game articles from today's papers:

Sonny's time to shine - Blue Hens expecting big things from Riccio - News Journal:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS07/509100361/1002/SPORTS)

Two-question interview with Tubby about Lehigh - News Journal:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS07/509100363/1002/SPORTS)

Teams at a Glance - News Journal:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS07/509100365/1002/SPORTS)

LaForgia now enjoys tight end's other job - Ex-wide receiver threat in pass game - News Journal:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS07/509100366/1002/SPORTS)

Lehigh right choice for Petruccelli - St. Mark's grad will start at right guard - News Journal:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS/509100368/1002/SPORTS)

Please, no grilled chicken - News Journal Commentary:
News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/SPORTS12/509100362/1033/SPORTS)

GAME PREVIEW: Lehigh @ Delaware - Allentown Morning Call:
Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-lehighcapsep10,0,3486302.story?coll=all-sports-hed)

blukeys
September 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Below are pre-game articles from today's papers:

GAME PREVIEW: Lehigh @ Delaware - Allentown Morning Call:
Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-lehighcapsep10,0,3486302.story?coll=all-sports-hed)

Amazing, the Morning Call mentions Lehigh's 1999 win over Delaware but conveniently forgets the 2000 pounding Lehigh got at the Tub.

LUHawker
September 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Amazing, the Morning Call mentions Lehigh's 1999 win over Delaware but conveniently forgets the 2000 pounding Lehigh got at the Tub.

I think you're getting yourself a little too worked up. The comment in the article was about the last time the two teams met in the REGULAR season.

blukeys
September 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
And they couldn't mention the LAST TIME THE TEAMS ACTUALLY MET?.It might have added one sentence to the article.

Just more Morning Call homerism.

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
It was mentioned... at the top... under 'last meeting'

blukeys
September 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
CM you are correct and my apologies to Hawker and in this instance the Morning Call. :)