PDA

View Full Version : AGS Crazy 8’s Survival League - Week 5, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
September 26th, 2022, 03:11 PM
One-third of the regular season (which this game covers) is in the books. Everyone that has made picks is still alive and kicking, and there were two single eliminations this week (but not for lack of FCS knowledge), but these players are still active.

The leaderboard has been updated in document linked to in my signature.

MAKE SURVIVAL PICKS HERE (https://forms.gle/yx4kuKdfAr92xmi57)
DEADLINE: FRI, SEP 30 @ 7 PM ET

Stolen (and adapted) from Chalupa Batman...A huge thank you!

Friday, September 30
Penn @ Dartmouth

Saturday, October 1
Eastern Washington @ Florida
South Carolina State @ South Carolina
The Citadel @ Appalachian State
Gardner-Webb @ Marshall
New Hampshire @ Western Michigan
Duquesne @ Stonehill
St. Thomas (MN) @ Marist
Howard @ Yale
Central Connecticut State @ Saint Francis (PA)
Monmouth @ Lehigh
Georgetown @ Fordham
Cornell @ Colgate
Princeton @ Columbia
Presbyterian @ Morehead State
Drake @ Dayton
Holy Cross @ Harvard
Butler @ Davidson
Norfolk State @ Sacred Heart
Long Island University @ Merrimack
Villanova @ Maine
Missouri State @ North Dakota
Mercer @ Wofford
Youngstown State @ North Dakota State
Samford @ Furman
Richmond @ Elon
Southeast Missouri @ Lindenwood
Towson @ Delaware
Tennessee Tech @ UT Martin
Western Illinois @ South Dakota State
Bethune-Cookman @ Alabama A&M
Montana @ Idaho State
VMI @ Western Carolina
William & Mary @ Stony Brook
Lafayette @ Bucknell
Houston Christian @ Lamar
Stetson @ San Diego
Nicholls @ Northwestern State
Indiana State @ Northern Iowa
Northern Arizona @ Portland State
Austin Peay @ Central Arkansas
Alabama State @ Texas Southern
Brown @ Rhode Island
Robert Morris @ Delaware State
Mississippi Valley State @ Florida A&M
North Carolina Central @ Campbell
Southern Utah @ Eastern Kentucky
Murray State @ Southeastern Louisiana
Prairie View A&M vs. Grambling State (in Dallas, TX)
Akransas-Pine Bluff @ Southern
Bryant @ North Carolina A&T
McNeese @ Incarnate Word
Southern Illinois @ Illinois State
Chattanooga @ East Tennessee State
Sacramento State @ Cal Poly
Northern Colorado @ Idaho
Abilene Christian @ Utah Tech
UC Davis @ Montana State

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2022, 03:20 PM
.....UMMM.......ACCORDIN' TA ESPN...ALCORN STATE BEAT ARK PNE-BLUFF 38-21.......I HAD ALCORN STATE.....xconfusedx....AWK!

.....SEVERAL OTHER GAME PLAYERS DID TOO!

KPSUL
September 26th, 2022, 03:31 PM
I had the Alcorn Braves for the win also!

Preferred Walk-On
September 26th, 2022, 04:09 PM
.....UMMM.......ACCORDIN' TA ESPN...ALCORN STATE BEAT ARK PNE-BLUFF 38-21.......I HAD ALCORN STATE.....xconfusedx....AWK!

.....SEVERAL OTHER GAME PLAYERS DID TOO!

Thank you. I appreciate the crowdsourcing effort to double-check things. I will get it fixed.

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the crowdsourcing effort to double-check things. I will get it fixed.

YER DOIN' UH GREAT JOB....WHIFF UH COMPLICATED GAME.......NONE O' US COOD DO BETTER.......THANKS AN' MUST SPREAD....BUT AH'LL GET TO YA........AWK!

KPSUL
September 26th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Picks have been submittedxsalutex

POD Knows
September 26th, 2022, 08:52 PM
In

Daytripper
September 27th, 2022, 05:31 AM
In

Libertine
September 27th, 2022, 08:40 AM
In like serotonin.

Feeling good.

KPSUL
September 27th, 2022, 09:40 AM
On the Survival Game Thread Mr Chicken raised a timely issue - how will we handle games cancelled due to Hurricane Ian?

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2022, 09:56 AM
On the Survival Game Thread Mr Chicken raised a timely issue - how will we handle games cancelled due to Hurricane Ian?

I presume all cancellations will be announced before the Fri @ 7 PM ET deadline.

All players get a copy of their submission sent to their email address directly from Google Forms (check you Junk/Spam if you don't), and within this email is a a big yellow/orange button that says "Edit response". Simply click on that, change your response before the deadline, and go to sleep knowing that you are still in the running to keep your "keeper pick" for the week. If it is not changed, then the .600 winning percentage is simply calculated from the picks made, and you will not be eligible to keep your "keeper pick" due to not having 8 valid picks.

Of course, one could go the way of not picking any games in Florida (or wherever landfall occurs). ;)

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2022, 09:58 AM
I'm in early this week AND picked a game in Florida. I will use the ability to edit my response before the deadline, if needed. Also, these are who I have received picks from this week:

McNeese75
POD Knows
crusader11
KPSUL
taper
TheValleyRaider
Chalupa Batman
MTfan4life
Daytripper
Libertine
Preferred Walk-On

OhioHen
September 27th, 2022, 10:53 AM
I presume all cancellations will be announced before the Fri @ 7 PM ET deadline.

All players get a copy of their submission sent to their email address directly from Google Forms (check you Junk/Spam if you don't), and within this email is a a big yellow/orange button that says "Edit response". Simply click on that, change your response before the deadline, and go to sleep knowing that you are still in the running to keep your "keeper pick" for the week. If it is not changed, then the .600 winning percentage is simply calculated from the picks made, and you will not be eligible to keep your "keeper pick" due to not having 8 valid picks.

Of course, one could go the way of not picking any games in Florida (or wherever landfall occurs). ;)
Games in Florida aren't the only at-risk games. Florida teams that need to travel may not be able to do so. If the storm speeds up or drastically varies from the projected path, there could be problems with Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

Maybe we should all just pick NEC, Big Sky, and Ivy teams this week.

OhioHen
September 27th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Looks like the deadline should now be 7:00 p.m. EDT Thursday.

South Carolina State at South Carolina has been rescheduled. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34676013/south-carolina-football-moves-game-thursday-threat-hurricane-ian

Okay, none of us is likely to pick SCSU to beat USC, but the deadline for last week (Chatty at Illinois) caught a couple players off guard.

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2022, 11:44 AM
Looks like the deadline should now be 7:00 p.m. EDT Thursday.

South Carolina State at South Carolina has been rescheduled. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34676013/south-carolina-football-moves-game-thursday-threat-hurricane-ian

Okay, none of us is likely to pick SCSU to beat USC, but the deadline for last week (Chatty at Illinois) caught a couple players off guard.

I'll keep the deadline at Friday and remove the option to select South Carolina State. The deadline last week was not due to a reschedule.

Preferred Walk-On
September 27th, 2022, 11:45 AM
If you have already picked South Carolina State (and submitted), feel free to keep that pick. ;)

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Well things are going Ocho Loco 😜

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2022, 12:23 PM
In and picked a game that may be affected by the hurricane. Don't see that I've ever received an email of my picks, but hanging on by a thread anyway, so maybe the Fates will decide my participation xlolx

Edit: And immediately after posting, I got my first submission confirmation in my email! xthumbsupx

Preferred Walk-On
September 28th, 2022, 04:22 PM
In and picked a game that may be affected by the hurricane. Don't see that I've ever received an email of my picks, but hanging on by a thread anyway, so maybe the Fates will decide my participation xlolx

Edit: And immediately after posting, I got my first submission confirmation in my email! xthumbsupx

I had to remove the first from my Junk/Spam folder and mark as "not Junk/Spam". After that, they have all come to my inbox, so I am guessing previous ones are just hiding from you...somewhere. Glad you got it, and if you need to, you can edit your pick(s) from there up until the Fri deadline.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2022, 07:55 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caribbeanhen https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2991926#post2991926)
Full Ride, so you can pick a team to lose more than once in this contest? True or False

True, there are no restrictions on picking AGAINST the same team multiple times. That only applies to Chalupa Batman’s survival pool.

THIS WAS CARIB'S QUESTION.....FROM LAST YEARS GAME

DOES THIS HOLD TRUE.....FOR CRAZY 8'S.........xdontknowx..........BRAWK?

Preferred Walk-On
September 30th, 2022, 09:15 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caribbeanhen https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2991926#post2991926)
Full Ride, so you can pick a team to lose more than once in this contest? True or False

True, there are no restrictions on picking AGAINST the same team multiple times. That only applies to Chalupa Batman’s survival pool.

THIS WAS CARIB'S QUESTION.....FROM LAST YEARS GAME

DOES THIS HOLD TRUE.....FOR CRAZY 8'S.........xdontknowx..........BRAWK?

Yes, this does hold true for Crazy 8's...you may pick against the same team multiple times. Chalupa's game requires one to potentially pick 17 winning teams, and therefore, adding the stipulation of having to do so against 17 unique losing teams really amounts to picking 34 teams overall...potentially.

Crazy 8's will require one to pick 96 teams over the course of the season, so hammering wins against the teams at the bottom of a conference would be the strategy, right? This is perfectly legal in the Crazy 8's game, because we are ultimately having to pick 75% of potential teams over the entire regular season. This means that at some point, one does have to pick lower half teams (and of course, the best chance of these teams winning likely comes against the very bottom of each conference). This is definitely a strategy.

I will be interested to see where we sit around week 9. Right now, everyone is doing well, but there have been just enough barely making the 0.600 cutoff to make me believe that "winter is coming". The goal in mind for this year was to make the game a bit more interesting, to still make it so that everyone can stick around for a number of weeks, but eventually to get to enough being eliminated to minimize (or not need tiebreakers)...we'll see.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2022, 12:11 PM
xhugxBRAWK!

MTfan4life
September 30th, 2022, 01:35 PM
I had to take a few more chances on games this week. Survive and advance is no longer the motto considering I need about 96 teams picked and there are about 10-20 I wouldn't dare touch with a pick.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2022, 02:17 PM
IN

Preferred Walk-On
September 30th, 2022, 02:52 PM
About 3 hr remaining to get picks in, and here is who I currently have picks from:

McNeese75
POD Knows
crusader11
KPSUL
taper
TheValleyRaider
Chalupa Batman
MTfan4life
Daytripper
Libertine
Preferred Walk-On
Caribbeanhen
MSUBobcat
JacksFan40
OhioHen
Catbooster
MR. CHICKEN

By my count, that is 17 of our 18 currently active players.

dewey
October 1st, 2022, 07:12 AM
About 3 hr remaining to get picks in, and here is who I currently have picks from:

McNeese75
POD Knows
crusader11
KPSUL
taper
TheValleyRaider
Chalupa Batman
MTfan4life
Daytripper
Libertine
Preferred Walk-On
Caribbeanhen
MSUBobcat
JacksFan40
OhioHen
Catbooster
MR. CHICKEN

By my count, that is 17 of our 18 currently active players.

Dang it! I forgot the Friday deadline

Dewey

KPSUL
October 1st, 2022, 09:07 AM
I had to take a few more chances on games this week. Survive and advance is no longer the motto considering I need about 96 teams picked and there are about 10-20 I wouldn't dare touch with a pick.

Good strategy, but you have to balance that with ensuring you get at least 5 wins. This week I think I went to much on the cautious side. I suspect that most of us have already picked too many of the top 50% teams from each conference and very few, if any, will make it to the end of the regular season The winner of this thing will do the best balancing act between selecting enough winners each week but not burning through the strongest teams too early. And have a good bit of luck also. Picking 8 of 8 will get rarer every week.

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2022, 10:32 AM
.....THINK DERE'S AN ERROR IN SCORIN'......SACREMENTO STATE BEAT CAL-POLY 49-21........3-4 PLAYERS PICKED IT AN' NEED CREDIT.....xoopsx....BRAWK!

Preferred Walk-On
October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 AM
.....THINK DERE'S AN ERROR IN SCORIN'......SACREMENTO STATE BEAT CAL-POLY 49-21........3-4 PLAYERS PICKED IT AN' NEED CREDIT.....xoopsx....BRAWK!

Just haven't finished updating yet. Updated most yesterday, then went to sleep. Will get to it soon.

caribbeanhen
October 2nd, 2022, 01:26 PM
I’ll be the first one out in this contest mostly because of my Fat finger week one ... used same team twice 😡

Preferred Walk-On
October 2nd, 2022, 03:36 PM
I’ll be the first one out in this contest mostly because of my Fat finger week one ... used same team twice 

A couple of players have done this...including me. Just trying to give the others a chance before crushing their dreams, right? ;)