PDA

View Full Version : MONMOUTH/NOVA ..AND BEYOND...

MUHAWKS
September 25th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Great atmosphere at Nova- It was family weekend and for about 3 quarters the place was packed. Decent turnout from MU as well. One of the more fun games I have been to in a long time and one that took a lot of mental toughness to win (regardless who had won) b/c there was very little room for error as both offenses seemed to do what they wanted.

As I expected we were able to run the ball very well and because of that and also b/c we have solid skill guys and a good QB, we were effective in the passing game as well. Nova essentially ran the ball at will as well and their kid Jackson is legit.

Also as expected our undersized D Line got no push and at the start of the game it seemed we may lose by 30 b/c Nova was literally getting 8-10 yards every rush. We adjusted somewhat with some blitz packages and putting more guys in the box but in reality the success of our offense allowed us to sort of let them run the ball like that b/c they needed to sustain drives and be perfect as well getting 7-10 at a clip. We never trailed in the game which was huge. No way we could have won that game playing from behind- Nova running game too much for our D line who looked like oversized LB's against the Nova OL.

I will make note to those that are saying "I never thought Nova was that good" etc. which I knew would happen if we won, that we were without several starters. Not only were we without our best OL and best CB who are both all conference and 5th yr guys but we were already down 2 DL and lost 2 more in the second half. On top of that one of our best WR's also went down and another OL who sees time did not play. I am not saying that other teams do not have injuries but just saying we were not even close to full strength. Ironically, we have a Walter Payton award Candidate (Juwon Farri) who is now the 2nd option behind NCAA FCS leading rusher Jayden Shirden who lit Nova up for 211.

To be fair, I did not think Nova was as good as their ranking either but after the Army loss and considering all other things this was a huge win for us and one that IMO will propel us confidence and momentum wise. Our offense is legit and our line is coming together. We are deep at every position. If we can somehow get our D to just be like a C+ type Defense we may end up having a say in all this. It is hard to see as of right now us being able to compete with Delaware or anyone really good with how our defense is. What I can say is that I do not think we are stuck with this D- meaning, we have some very very good players on D but the D line is so small and maybe just not that good that we get run on and then no pass rush. So we need to blitz, take chances and bend but don't break but that is possible and if the O keeps going, maybe we can win games 42-38 which will require some luck. I do not think we have played even close to our best and the UNH and Fordham games really sting right now, but whatever.

Our remaining schedule in order- Lehigh, Albany, Maine, URI, Towson, Delaware, Stony Brook. Our bye comes after Delaware which sucks b/c we are very banged up. Nobody can take any teams lightly and certainly not us, but if we do the "
on paper" thing- we should beat Lehigh. I think both Albany and Maine will be tough games unless they have bad defenses. So hypothetically if we can split with Albany and Maine, beat Towson and Stony Brook and split with URI/Delaware that would leave us @ 7-4. 7-4 for us makes us 50/50 for playoffs at best UNLESS we also beat Delaware while doing so.. As of right now the UNH and Fordham losses look "decent".. So early still so this is all just for fun but at least now we can be relevant. But 3-4 plays away from being 4-0 really stings-- Even just 3-1! Ugh.. oh well, moving on. This is truly a week to week season this year, more than most years. The CAA has a few teams who look like legit top 10-25 teams (Delaware, W&M, Elon, Richmond) or thereabouts and there is just no chance that the CAA gets 5 teams in (or very little chance) so not sure what it will take but even 4 teams would be a big number so a couple good teams will be left out. Seems that 8 is really the magic number unless the 7 wins come with an FBS loss and 2-3 very good wins.

I am very excited about this win but am also realistic that unless our D improves in a major way we will need to get lucky to get to 8 wins.

KPSUL
September 25th, 2022, 03:26 PM
MU Hawks - To infinity... AND BEYOND !!!

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Congrats……Nova isnt a legit top 25 team. Ive been saying that from the beginning of the season. That has nothing to do with Monmouth or takes nothing away from your win. Winning road CAA games isn't easy for most. That RB was fun to watch & your QB is legit also.

Hopefully, the players you say that were out are major contributors on defense because there are a few teams left on your schedule with potent offenses & much better defenses.

Welcome to the CAA & congrats on your win. Hopefully Nova can straighten things out up in Orono next Saturday where lots of strange things happen up there.

Good luck the rest of the way Hawks….

xpeacex

MUHAWKS
September 25th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Congrats……Nova isnt a legit top 25 team. Ive been saying that from the beginning of the season. That has nothing to do with Monmouth or takes nothing away from your win. Winning road CAA games isn't easy for most. That RB was fun to watch & your QB is legit also.

Hopefully, the players you say that were out are major contributors on defense because there are a few teams left on your schedule with potent offenses & much better defenses.

Welcome to the CAA & congrats on your win. Hopefully Nova can straighten things out up in Orono next Saturday where lots of strange things happen up there.

xpeacex

Thanks.. Unfortunately it may not matter. I think our Defense has a ceiling. It is higher than Saturday but not much. 1 kid out was a starting B and very good but truth be told it did not hurt us yesterday. I mean to be fair, Nova has a good offense so it may be fair to say our D can put it together against other lesser offenses. But Nova problem is clearly defense (like us!) so I guess the goal for us and you is to find an identity where the D can be adequate enough and the offense just keeps putting up 40

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 25th, 2022, 09:48 PM

xpeacex

Nova/Monmouth game was great to watch, caught the 2nd and 4th quarter. Both teams are explosive on offense and Maine will have their hands fill but hoping the week off will allow us to get healthy and have been playing better each game even though we are 0-3. Could not believe the RB's for Monmouth were the same ones I saw opening nite against UNH, quite an improvement and credit OL that routinely made holes for them. I don't think Maine has a chance to be in the game if we need 49 pts to win, hoping the D can keep it in the 20's.
Congrats MUHAWK on your first CAA win, plenty more coming from your team.

MRuler
September 26th, 2022, 06:26 AM
Great atmosphere at Nova- It was family weekend and for about 3 quarters the place was packed. Decent turnout from MU as well. One of the more fun games I have been to in a long time and one that took a lot of mental toughness to win (regardless who had won) b/c there was very little room for error as both offenses seemed to do what they wanted.

As I expected we were able to run the ball very well and because of that and also b/c we have solid skill guys and a good QB, we were effective in the passing game as well. Nova essentially ran the ball at will as well and their kid Jackson is legit.

Also as expected our undersized D Line got no push and at the start of the game it seemed we may lose by 30 b/c Nova was literally getting 8-10 yards every rush. We adjusted somewhat with some blitz packages and putting more guys in the box but in reality the success of our offense allowed us to sort of let them run the ball like that b/c they needed to sustain drives and be perfect as well getting 7-10 at a clip. We never trailed in the game which was huge. No way we could have won that game playing from behind- Nova running game too much for our D line who looked like oversized LB's against the Nova OL.

I will make note to those that are saying "I never thought Nova was that good" etc. which I knew would happen if we won, that we were without several starters. Not only were we without our best OL and best CB who are both all conference and 5th yr guys but we were already down 2 DL and lost 2 more in the second half. On top of that one of our best WR's also went down and another OL who sees time did not play. I am not saying that other teams do not have injuries but just saying we were not even close to full strength. Ironically, we have a Walter Payton award Candidate (Juwon Farri) who is now the 2nd option behind NCAA FCS leading rusher Jayden Shirden who lit Nova up for 211.

To be fair, I did not think Nova was as good as their ranking either but after the Army loss and considering all other things this was a huge win for us and one that IMO will propel us confidence and momentum wise. Our offense is legit and our line is coming together. We are deep at every position. If we can somehow get our D to just be like a C+ type Defense we may end up having a say in all this. It is hard to see as of right now us being able to compete with Delaware or anyone really good with how our defense is. What I can say is that I do not think we are stuck with this D- meaning, we have some very very good players on D but the D line is so small and maybe just not that good that we get run on and then no pass rush. So we need to blitz, take chances and bend but don't break but that is possible and if the O keeps going, maybe we can win games 42-38 which will require some luck. I do not think we have played even close to our best and the UNH and Fordham games really sting right now, but whatever.

Our remaining schedule in order- Lehigh, Albany, Maine, URI, Towson, Delaware, Stony Brook. Our bye comes after Delaware which sucks b/c we are very banged up. Nobody can take any teams lightly and certainly not us, but if we do the "
on paper" thing- we should beat Lehigh. I think both Albany and Maine will be tough games unless they have bad defenses. So hypothetically if we can split with Albany and Maine, beat Towson and Stony Brook and split with URI/Delaware that would leave us @ 7-4. 7-4 for us makes us 50/50 for playoffs at best UNLESS we also beat Delaware while doing so.. As of right now the UNH and Fordham losses look "decent".. So early still so this is all just for fun but at least now we can be relevant. But 3-4 plays away from being 4-0 really stings-- Even just 3-1! Ugh.. oh well, moving on. This is truly a week to week season this year, more than most years. The CAA has a few teams who look like legit top 10-25 teams (Delaware, W&M, Elon, Richmond) or thereabouts and there is just no chance that the CAA gets 5 teams in (or very little chance) so not sure what it will take but even 4 teams would be a big number so a couple good teams will be left out. Seems that 8 is really the magic number unless the 7 wins come with an FBS loss and 2-3 very good wins.

I am very excited about this win but am also realistic that unless our D improves in a major way we will need to get lucky to get to 8 wins.

Some observations. It appears that Villanova, Monmouth and Albany are mirror images of one another. High powered offenses and little to no Defense. How good is UNH? Still to be determined. Fordham a common opponent apparently is a very good team and Albany and MU went toe to toe with them.

This future UA-MU or the UA-Nova matchup will be big ones for each team's season. UA has the bye week to get their D in order as they are giving up too many uncontested long bombs and get gashed on runs from time to time aka see UNH's Lauber's 200 yards. I personally believe Albany is a year away of being a real contender and getting an NCAA berth. We are a VERY young team but developing nicely. 6-5 or 5-6 is realistic. Hopefully we can steal one here or there to get to 7 wins. We have a Frosh phenom at QB and the best RB in our programs history in Sibley. The receivers are top flight as well and our TE play is outstanding. The D? Yikes.

I fear the MU-Nova-UA games are going to look like our games with Fordham. I hate shootouts. They are entertaining but gut wrenching when you come up on the wrong end...aka MU an UA's loss to Fordham

MUHAWKS
September 26th, 2022, 06:46 AM
Some observations. It appears that Villanova, Monmouth and Albany are mirror images of one another. High powered offenses and little to no Defense. How good is UNH? Still to be determined. Fordham a common opponent apparently is a very good team and Albany and MU went toe to toe with them.

This future UA-MU or the UA-Nova matchup will be big ones for each team's season. UA has the bye week to get their D in order as they are giving up too many uncontested long bombs and get gashed on runs from time to time aka see UNH's Lauber's 200 yards. I personally believe Albany is a year away of being a real contender and getting an NCAA berth. We are a VERY young team but developing nicely. 6-5 or 5-6 is realistic. Hopefully we can steal one here or there to get to 7 wins. We have a Frosh phenom at QB and the best RB in our programs history in Sibley. The receivers are top flight as well and our TE play is outstanding. The D? Yikes.

I fear the MU-Nova-UA games are going to look like our games with Fordham. I hate shootouts. They are entertaining but gut wrenching when you come up on the wrong end...aka MU an UA's loss to Fordham

Well said! agreed- It is almost like it comes down to who somehow solves their defensive woes and just get to a level of playing average. Albany game scares me. Old Rival, always a tough game and tons of athletes plus a team that even when record is not good, is always somewhat competitive.

KPSUL
September 26th, 2022, 10:47 AM

Best Running Back in Albany history? I was quick to jump on the Sibley bandwagon - even before he had gained a yard for the Danes. I don't go back very far in Albany football but two names stand out in very recent history: Elijah Ibotkun-Hanks and Karl Mofor. Sibley is going to have to gain a lot more yards before I would go that far.