PDA

View Full Version : NEC to add Bryant University

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
New Britain Herald - http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18929305&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

NEC to add Bryant University
By: Matt Straub, Assistant Sports Editor
10/17/2007

NEW BRITAIN - Make it an even dozen.

According to two sources with knowledge of the situation, the Northeast Conference's member schools voted to admit Bryant University into the conference on Wednesday, with the Bulldogs expected to gain full membership by the 2012-2013 season.

Bryant, located in Smithfield, R.I., is currently a Division II program offering 22 intercollegiate sports in the Northeast 10 Conference, according to its Web site.

Bryant will likely play several NEC schools during its transition to Division I, which must begin next year in order to beat an upcoming NCAA moritorium on schools making such a leap.

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Still status quo in the Patriot League.

Seahawks Fan
October 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Good news. What happened with NJIT? I thought they were also applying?

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Do they have football? xeyebrowx :o

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Good news. What happened with NJIT? I thought they were also applying?

According to the article, they were denied membership.

Dane96
October 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes...bryant has VERY good football. And they give rides. BIG ADDITION to the NEC!

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Yes, and the Bulldogs (6-0) are currently ranked #1 in the NCAA D-II Northeast Region poll

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/index

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM

NJIT no, they are a new D-I school. Bryant has a pretty strong D-II program.

Dane96
October 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Bryant is ranked #24 nationally. I have been told that Bryant will be expanding the 4400 seat stadium in the future...to around 7000. Plenty of room to expand.

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/information/Facilities/Facilities_New/Bulldog_Stadium

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Still status quo in the Patriot League.

The NEC gets bigger, and the Patriot League sits on its hands and talks about (maybe) tweaking its AI and (maybe) adding scholarships. Things happen fast, and the Patriot League may have let another possibility to expand slip through their fingers.

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yes...bryant has VERY good football. And they give rides. BIG ADDITION to the NEC!

Yes, and the Bulldogs (6-0) are currently ranked #1 in the NCAA D-II Northeast Region poll
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Bryant is ranked #24 nationally. I have been told that Bryant will be expanding the 4400 seat stadium in the future...to around 7000. Plenty of room to expand.

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/information/Facilities/Facilities_New/Bulldog_Stadium

Also, I'm pretty sure they used to host the Patriots training camp, ala the Giants at Albany.

Dane96
October 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
That is correct!

FUTURE NEC FOOTBALL (based on funding)-

Top Tier:

Albany
CCSU
Monmouth
Duquense
Bryant
RMU (teetering)

Middle:

Wagner
Sacred Heart

Bottom:

St. Francis

I would BET...we go to 45 rides. While Albany does not have a vote, Duquense, Bryant, CCSU, and Monmouth are all on board. I think RMU can be convinced to move up. That gives the request votes.

The top of the NEC is getting very strong...making the overalll league very strong when 5 teams should be competative.

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Plenty of room to expand.
Understatement of the year. xeekx

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.hohlersheetmetal.com/images/bryant_logo.gif

Seahawks Fan
October 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
That is correct!

FUTURE NEC FOOTBALL (based on funding)-

Top Tier:

Albany
CCSU
Monmouth
Duquense
Bryant
RMU (teetering)

Middle:

Wagner 45 - Monmouth 16
Wagner 20 - RMU 13

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
The NEC gets bigger, and the Patriot League sits on its hands and talks about (maybe) tweaking its AI and (maybe) adding scholarships. Things happen fast, and the Patriot League may have let another possibility to expand slip through their fingers.

That being said, a few years down the road isn't Monmouth a more attratice option if the can continue to be a NEC title contender and complte their new 4k-seat hoops facility?

The PL is in a better position to "steal" the NEC's top private school, they to bother with a D-I start up.

I know academics are still an issue, but if I were a PL fan, isn't a school like Monmouth or Marist with NCAA basketball recognition a better long-term choice than Bryant?

Again, I like the direction of the NEC, especially with the possibility of the AQ, I'd assume if a "better" opportunity called some NEC teams, they would bolt. For example, UA and CCSU to AE football; Monmouth to the PL.

DFW HOYA
Things happen fast, and the Patriot League may have let another possibility to expand slip through their fingers.

Good thing the PL's associate members are not looking to move, otherwise the PL would have no chance at an autobid.

And realistically, no one's at the all-sports PL door.

Dane96
Oh lord...Wagner fans...many of us at CCSU and Albany have been biting our tongues.

MONMOUTH LOST A TON FROM LAST YEAR. They are not good this year. Now...if you do the same against Albany or CCSU...I will be convinced.

IONA--- BEAT WAGNER.

'Nuff said for now.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I would BET...we go to 45 rides. While Albany does not have a vote, Duquense, Bryant, CCSU, and Monmouth are all on board. I think RMU can be convinced to move up. That gives the request votes.

D96 - Unless you know something I don't (which is possible), I don't know where you keep getting this impression on which schools supports schollys in the NEC. I think you may be reading too much into their on-filed sucuess (or loack thereof). I've heard ALL NEC teams are offering around 20 schoolys this year. Maybe SFPA only offers 10, but I think everyone in the NEC fully supports schollys.

Remember, Duquense and ALbany do not have any votes. SBU never had a vote. Bryant won't get a vote until 2012.

So of the 6 full memebrs of the NEC that play football, At LEAST 4 of them had to support schollys!

danefan
October 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
D96 - Unless you know something I don't (which is possible), I don't know where you keep getting this impression on which schools supports schollys in the NEC. I think you may be reading too much into their on-filed sucuess (or loack thereof). I've heard ALL NEC teams are offering around 20 schoolys this year. Maybe SFPA only offers 10, but I think everyone in the NEC fully supports schollys.

Remember, Duquense and ALbany do not have any votes. SBU never had a vote. Bryant won't get a vote until 2012.

So of the 6 full memebrs of the NEC that play football, At LEAST 4 of them had to support schollys!

At least of 4 of them had to support 30 schollys. That doesn't mean they'll support 45 or 50 or 63. I think some of the borderline schools approved scholly's to appease UA, CCSU, and Monmouth in hopes they wouldn't bolt and follow SBU. Just my opinion though, I don't have any inside info.

Dane96
October 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I forgot...I thought the Dukes had a vote. I have been told that CCSU and Monmouth are on board...and RMU can be pushed. I didnt realize Bryant would not get a vote until 2012.

danefan
October 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Why would they need 4 years to get full membership?

That seems like an awful long time doesn't it? Considering the jump from scholarship DII to scholarship FCS isn't really that great.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Why would they need 4 years to get full membership?

That seems like an awful long time doesn't it? Considering the jump from scholarship DII to scholarship FCS isn't really that great.

Its more than football, they are reclassifing their entire athletic department.

This season Bryant is in its "exploratory" year. They will have 4 more years as a "transitional" D-I member. I'm certain, but not positive, they won't get a conference vote until they complete the transation are are a full NCAA D-I member eligible for championships.

danefan
October 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm just curious if the "transitional period" is mandatory? I understand they wouldn't be eligible for post-season play, etc., but would they count against our SOS for the league during that period (football, specificall, but all sports too?)?

BigApp
October 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I thought the NCAA placed a 4-year moratorium on moves up?

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I thought the NCAA placed a 4-year moratorium on moves up?

See here: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=613610&postcount=19

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
So what is the deal here? Is Bryant at the Division II maximum of 36 scholarships? If so, I suppose that they will have to reduce the number of scholarships offered to join the Division I NEC, ( wouldn't that be a hoot )?

Actually, I thought that the Division II NE 10 was a "non-scholarship" conference. If so, Bryant will have to pony up some bucks to join the NEC....

Dane96
October 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Actually...you are right...I thought they were offering rides. I do know they have $$$.

LUHawker
October 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I don't think the PL lost anything by not acting on Bryant. LFN, I continue to get the feeling that you want the PL to just do something, regardless of the merits. Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes you just need to sit on your hands and let other things play out. Let's assume for a second that the AI gets tweaked and scholarships are allowed. If that happens, the league may get much stronger and there may be more interest from Fordham to re-join in all sports and from others in football (VU) or from others in all-sports. We'll have to see. In the meantime, congrats to the NEC, for which I think Bryant is a good fit.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
That being said, a few years down the road isn't Monmouth a more attratice option if the can continue to be a NEC title contender and complte their new 4k-seat hoops facility?

The PL is in a better position to "steal" the NEC's top private school, they to bother with a D-I start up.

I know academics are still an issue, but if I were a PL fan, isn't a school like Monmouth or Marist with NCAA basketball recognition a better long-term choice than Bryant?

Personally, I couldn't agree more, especially concerning Marist. However, it just doesn't appear that the Patriot League is approaching expansion with the same level of urgency that other conferences are (such as the NEC). It appears that we are continuing our slow, deliberate move towards scholarships and (presumably) trying to pursue the pipe dream of getting Villanova and Richmond and other associate schools (like Fordham and maybe even Georgetown) to jump to the Patriot League in all sports. I think that it is a mistake to think that the salvation of the league is to siphon off A-10 or Big East teams, which frankly promise little to zero chance of success. Taking a Marist, who is solid in all sports and could be even better, is a much better option IMO - and would also help keep the league together. You can't simply sit at five full-member teams and two associates in football and claim you're stable.

To me Monmouth would be a huge reach academically, although they are improving, and I don't believe Monmouth would ever agree to any AI restrictions there are likely to be. There seem to be many teams that fit one end of the conference profile but not another, and Monmouth is one.

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
How in the world did Towson get into the PL? I know their academic profile is not similar to the current PL schools.... I assume they lived to the AI?

If the PL can accept a Towson, surely they could accept a Monmouth.

TigerFan17
October 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
How in the world did Towson get into the PL? I know their academic profile is not similar to the current PL schools.... I assume they lived to the AI?

If the PL can accept a Towson, surely they could accept a Monmouth.

We're quite different than all the other PL schools. Public, not private. We accept around 65% applicants while most of them accept around 30%. They have an average of about 50-60 pts higher on each section of the SAT. We're also a much larger school than most of them.

So how?!

Well, Towson moved to non-scholly football. The then-administration cut scholarships, was going to make entry into the university much more strict and chip away at the size of the school. Basically, the idea was to mold it into PL school form.

Then, they balked at that idea. The president was fired (for many reasons). A new President, who loves Athletics, was brought in.

Rumors of the CAA taking over football circled...Towson was already an all-sports CAA members, just PL for football.

And, 2+2 = 4, we're in the A-10 -> CAA.

TigerFan17
October 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Also, Monmouth is just like a smaller, private Towson in relatively the same distance from other PL schools so you'd think they'd take them as an affiliate at least.

I still think the best fit for PL expansion is Richmond. And with the PL's basketball profile rising, I don't think they should be too scared anymore. Because Richmond's bball profile is falling.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Also, Monmouth is just like a smaller, private Towson in relatively the same distance from other PL schools so you'd think they'd take them as an affiliate at least.

I still think the best fit for PL expansion is Richmond. And with the PL's basketball profile rising, I don't think they should be too scared anymore. Because Richmond's bball profile is falling.

This may be true, but is Richmond likely to bolt a conference that has a good chance to have a team in the NCAA tournament that wins some games and gets some NCAA money for *all* their member institutions? What's the chance Holy Cross or Bucknell, improved as they are, make a run at the Final Four versus Temple, George Washington, UMass, or St. Joe's?

Nobody gives up that money without a fight. And this is why I say that's a pipe dream. Replace the A-10 with the Big East and the argument is even more specious.

Add to that the pitchforks that came out in Richmond when it was even hinted they'd leave the A-10/CAA for the Patriot League, and that makes it even less likely.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm just curious if the "transitional period" is mandatory? I understand they wouldn't be eligible for post-season play, etc., but would they count against our SOS for the league during that period (football, specificall, but all sports too?)?

More from thye ProJo - http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/sportsblog/2007/10/bryant_university_to_join_nort.html

Bryant will continue as a Northeast-10 member this year and then begin an NCAA-mandated `transition period' of five years where its teams will play both D-1 and D-II opponents.

``We have extended and offer and Bryant has accepted, pending the five-year transition process,'' said the NEC's Weare. ``We're very excited to have Bryant in our league. We hope the next five years go very quickly.''

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
message sent from the president today. They had all the parking set up for the board of trustees and the main dining area set up. We will find out tonight there decision, but I would say tomorrow we will see the newest member of the NEC.

As we have sought ways to advance our position as an institution of higher education, we have focused on an array of diverse strategies and tactics. We have, for example, devoted significant resources to facilities enhancements and strengthened our academic standing by substantially expanding our faculty. Under the leadership from our Vice President for Academic Affairs and Deans, we have developed world class academic programs in our College of Business and greatly expanded and strengthened programs in our College of Arts and Science. We have also significantly enhanced student life programs through the efforts of our Vice President for Student Affairs and his committed and capable staff. The Vice President for Information Services has led his team in developing strategies which have placed us among the most technologically sophisticated institutions in the country.

From the recruitment of students, faculty, and staff to new investments in programs like the Sophomore International Experience, the U.S. China Institute, and the ICC, we have made a commitment to lead in international education. Our Vice President for Enrollment Management and her dedicated staff have developed successful strategies to enroll increasingly qualified students year after year and our retention rate is now at an all time high. Through the thoughtful management of our financial resources, the Vice President for Business Affairs and his team have ensured we have the capital necessary to fund these important initiatives and provide competitive salaries and benefits for faculty and staff. We have also completed a successful capital campaign raising more than $240 million and will soon start another major effort to raise additional funds for scholarships, faculty, endowed chairs, and special programs.

We are now poised to take another important step in moving to the next level of academic and athletic excellence. Last night, we were invited to join the Division I Northeast Athletic Conference. With the full endorsement of our Board of Trustees, we will accept this invitation later today and release this information to the press. In addition to enhancing Bryant’s academic and athletic profile (the league includes Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac, Monmouth, Wagner and others), this initiative has the added benefit of moving us into important regions geographically - New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania - which is critical for our future admissions (the number of high school graduates will peak and then begin to decline in New England in 2008).

There are many questions that we must work out over the coming months. However, we do not see the need for any significant facilities upgrades and any additional costs associated with travel, etc. will not be funded at the expense of any other program. There is a 5-year phase-in until we are a full Division I member, so we will have ample time to enter this new league in a thoughtful and carefully planned manner. In light of the great success we’ve experienced in recent years, I have no doubt that our athletic staff will meet the challenge of this important step and that this new initiative will assist us in achieving our place as a superb institution of higher learning.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
it didnt take until the morning. Just the afternoon.

http://bryantbulldogs.com/news/2007-08/2007Oct18NortheastConferenceInvite

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/general/2007/10/18/NEC-BryantAcceptance07.asp?path=general

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
It appears that we are continuing our slow, deliberate move towards scholarships and (presumably) trying to pursue the pipe dream of getting Villanova and Richmond and other associate schools (like Fordham and maybe even Georgetown) to jump to the Patriot League in all sports.

There is a less than zero chance of attracting Villanova and Georgetown, for the simple reason that the PL does not have a TV contract which would allow these schools the revenues and exposure to maintain a competitive national basketball program. Georgetown isn't paying JTIII's salary with football money, and frankly, the money is not there for Villanova nor Richmond.

Taking a Marist, who is solid in all sports and could be even better, is a much better option IMO - and would also help keep the league together. You can't simply sit at five full-member teams and two associates in football and claim you're stable.

I don't see Marist as a long term option--sure, they're already got a better stadium than Georgetown xsmhx but the academic profile and related traditions in Poughkeepsie are a step behind the other five. Marist is only slightly ahead of LaSalle on SAT's, and no one is trumpeting adding LaSalle.

VMI would be a better solution, esp. with the academies in other sports.

Cobblestone
October 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM

um, dude, not only do they have football but they are consistently in the D-II playoffs. Plus the Patriots used the Bryant facilities for years as their training camp. Granted, Bryant has not had football for all that long but they have always put a good team on the field and have excellent facilities for D-II. They'll do well in FCS. Best wishes to them.

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2007, 06:24 PM
There is a less than zero chance of attracting Villanova and Georgetown, for the simple reason that the PL does not have a TV contract which would allow these schools the revenues and exposure to maintain a competitive national basketball program. Georgetown isn't paying JTIII's salary with football money, and frankly, the money is not there for Villanova nor Richmond.

I don't see Marist as a long term option--sure, they're already got a better stadium than Georgetown xsmhx but the academic profile and related traditions in Poughkeepsie are a step behind the other five. Marist is only slightly ahead of LaSalle on SAT's, and no one is trumpeting adding LaSalle.

VMI would be a better solution, esp. with the academies in other sports.

Exactly, VMI seems to be the best fit all around. The PL would add stability and a school with strong tradition and academics, while VMI could raise there profile and develop a nice rivalry with Army and Navy--they could stop worrying so much about the Citadel. (cue Citdog)

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I wonder if we'll play Bryant once they move up. There'll no longer be just two DI football teams in Rhode Island. If we don't play them in football, we'll probably play them in basketball like we play URI and Providence.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I wonder if we'll play Bryant once they move up. There'll no longer be just two DI football teams in Rhode Island. If we don't play them in football, we'll probably play them in basketball like we play URI and Providence.

There is some tradition between Bryant and brown, especially with the providence campuses that bryant sold to brown, and the inferiority complex bryant has always had. I think it will be nice and a good tradition, better than if we see PC or URI. Granted we are more towards PC academically, but slowly we have been pulling away towards those PL numbers and more into that range of elite. We did play brown in Lacrosse and softball the past 2 years.

Seawolf97
October 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Congratulations to Bryant and the NEC. See you guys on the 27th!xthumbsupx

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM
There is some tradition between Bryant and brown, especially with the providence campuses that bryant sold to brown, and the inferiority complex bryant has always had. I think it will be nice and a good tradition, better than if we see PC or URI. Granted we are more towards PC academically, but slowly we have been pulling away towards those PL numbers and more into that range of elite. We did play brown in Lacrosse and softball the past 2 years.

Does Bryant play hockey?

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Does Bryant play hockey?

They have a club team, and currently sponsoring 22 teams I don't know if they would add another sport. I could see it happen since NEC doesnt sponsor mens swimming and lacrosse, I figure they will still keep lacrosse since they have mike pressler, but I could see the dropping of mens swimming and adding hockey. Maybe add a few new traditions and keep one with bentley and aic.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Congratulations to Bryant and the NEC. See you guys on the 27th!xthumbsupx

I am excited for the game I am still contemplating if I should make the drive, its only 3 or so hours, but its a 4 oclock game.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
i know the albany guys will like this. the Projo doesnt report things unless they get answers because college sports in RI are small, unless it is PC basketball it doesn't matter so they don't formulate stories.

http://www.projo.com/college/content/picks19_10-19-07_FA7I05S.2543bf6.html

Think this is the first step, maybe URI coming out and making it obvious they need a move? Does this also shake up the NEC, maybe with the addition of Bryant and Duquense we may see a CCSU and Albany move?

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
They have a club team, and currently sponsoring 22 teams I don't know if they would add another sport. I could see it happen since NEC doesnt sponsor mens swimming and lacrosse, I figure they will still keep lacrosse since they have mike pressler, but I could see the dropping of mens swimming and adding hockey. Maybe add a few new traditions and keep one with bentley and aic.

FYI - One of the reasons Bryant was accepted was becasue they play MLax. I read the NEC wants to sponsor that sport and will now have the NCAA-required six members to earn an AQ. Sound famailiar to anyone? :D

NEC Men's Lax teams (current affilation)
Mt. St. Mary's (MAAC)
Quinnipiac (Great Western Lax)
Robert Morris (CAA)
Sacred Heart (CAA)
Wagner (MAAC)
Bryant (NE-10)

Once the NEC begins sponsorship of MLax, both the CAA and GWLL have just 5 members, and will likely lose their AQ :p

Seawolf97
October 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I am excited for the game I am still contemplating if I should make the drive, its only 3 or so hours, but its a 4 oclock game.

If the weather is good (no rain ) I would make it. This is your first game against a D-1 opponent, our stadium is pretty nice and Stonybrook folks are accomodating. I hope you get alot of fans to attend.
Just dont beat us- we are having a rough seasonxsmiley_wix

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM
FYI - One of the reasons Bryant was accepted was becasue they play MLax. I read the NEC wants to sponsor that sport and will now have the NCAA-required six members to earn an AQ. Sound famailiar to anyone? :D

NEC Men's Lax teams (current affilation)
Mt. St. Mary's (MAAC)
Quinnipiac (Great Western Lax)
Robert Morris (CAA)
Sacred Heart (CAA)
Wagner (MAAC)
Bryant (NE-10)

Once the NEC begins sponsorship of MLax, both the CAA and GWLL have just 5 members, and will likely lose their AQ :p

I wish we didnt have to wait 4 years, I think Bryant could win the conference right away and compete nationally. The recruits they got to the school with pressler are impressive. Hopefully the 4 years only helps.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 09:26 PM
If the weather is good (no rain ) I would make it. This is your first game against a D-1 opponent, our stadium is pretty nice and Stonybrook folks are accomodating. I hope you get alot of fans to attend.
Just dont beat us- we are having a rough seasonxsmiley_wix

I know we would like a good showing, but I think we might rest up for the SCSU and Bentley games, since they matter for the first round bye in the region and the SB game doesnt. I hope they play them hard and try to win, but I just feel like it might not be that way.

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
they played URI a couple of years ago. and they scrimaged Brown this year.

They played URI in 2002, La Salle in 1998, and Sacred Heart in 1998 and 2000.

dgreco
October 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
They played URI in 2002, La Salle in 1998, and Sacred Heart in 1998 and 2000.

1998 they were a club team, but I feel like both Sacred Heart and La Salle ever division II at the team, because wasn't stony brook and binghamton and all those other schools in the EFC or whatever it was called, with the current NE10 teams. They did play URI in 2002, and that was the only DI game that they have played since they had a varisty or non-club team.

ccd494
October 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Granted we are more towards PC academically, but slowly we have been pulling away towards those PL numbers and more into that range of elite.

Whhhhhhaaaaatttt?

I'll stand up for my old school here, but I don't know ANYONE that got into PC and Bryant and opted for Bryant.

PC's average GPA and SAT scores are markedly higher. Granted, they are different institutions with different focuses (PC- Catholic liberal arts, Bryant- traditionally business oriented), but c'mon. PC competes with BC, Villanova, Stonehill and the other Northeast Catholics for students. When I was at PC, we had all applied to the same schools: BC, Villanova, Richmond, Georgetown, Stonehill. Some had added in St. John's and Seton Hall, maybe Xavier and Notre Dame if they were looking outside the Northeast. The kids I know who went to Bryant were there because they didn't get into Bentley.

Has Bryant upped its game in the intervening 5 years? Absolutely. But not seismically enough that Bryant alums and students can start looking down their noses at the Friars.

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Whhhhhhaaaaatttt?

I'll stand up for my old school here, but I don't know ANYONE that got into PC and Bryant and opted for Bryant.

PC's average GPA and SAT scores are markedly higher. Granted, they are different institutions with different focuses (PC- Catholic liberal arts, Bryant- traditionally business oriented), but c'mon. PC competes with BC, Villanova, Stonehill and the other Northeast Catholics for students. When I was at PC, we had all applied to the same schools: BC, Villanova, Richmond, Georgetown, Stonehill. Some had added in St. John's and Seton Hall, maybe Xavier and Notre Dame if they were looking outside the Northeast. The kids I know who went to Bryant were there because they didn't get into Bentley.

Has Bryant upped its game in the intervening 5 years? Absolutely. But not seismically enough that Bryant alums and students can start looking down their noses at the Friars.

Well lets look at recent numbers

Acceptance rates:

Bryant 40
PC 48

SAT:
PC 1660
Bryant 1780

HS GPA
PC 3.0
Bryant 3.4

Retention Rate:
PC 83%
Bryant 85%

Graduation Rate
PC 70
Bryant 65

Professors wit PhD
PC 81%
Bryant 99%

Career Placement
PC #78 in the country
Bryant #9

Top Masters level programs
PC #2
Bryant #17

PC Ranks:
Nationally as a catholic intstitution
homogenous populations
little race/diversity
everyone plays intermurals
happiest students
Best in the NE
best buy in barrons

Bryant:
Top techonology campus
safesty campus in america
best co-op
little race/diversity
top 50 business school in the country
best buy in barrons.

IDK tell me what you think? Bryant has done a lot in the last 5 years. 10 years ago bryant was a safety school for bentley and babson students. Now it is about to pass bentley finally and has long ago passed babson. Also, remember bryant went through a 20 year period where they almost closed down the school and were indebt 11 million. Now they have a 164 million endowment, making a 175million swing in just 9 years. A Lot of its bad history effected in a lot of these rankings, going up against a PC or a Bentley or Villanova who has been a top school for the past 20 years you just don't pass overnight, but over the past 4 years they have gone from a nonranked master level program to #17. The school is changing.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 07:58 AM
No discussion on Catholic colleges outside the Northeast can not include the University of Dayton! UD has many students from NY, NJ, PA, etc. The large number of Alumni in NY is one of the reasons we pursued the series with Fordham. Many of the Fordham fans were impressed at how many UD fans were at the game.... Xavier and Notre Dame, please.... UD rules!!!! OK, to be honest, Notre Dame is the number one Catholic school in the midwest and the country, ( sorry BC ). But few kids pick Xavier over Dayton, ( unless they just do not know any better ), (LOL!!!!!)

So what is the story on aid in the NE 10? Rides but not "scholarships"? Is it the same model as the PFL, ( need based and/or academic aid )? I know that when CW Post had some recent success in the Division II playoffs, I was impressed because they were "non-scholarship".

DFW HOYA
October 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
OK, to be honest, Notre Dame is the number one Catholic school in the midwest and the country, ( sorry BC ).

BC? xeyebrowx

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
OK, OK, I had FBS football on the mind when I mentioned BC.... I hear that GT is not a bad school.... (LOL).

Speaking of GT, why in the world are Dayton and GT not playing each other in football? It would seem like a perfect matchup.... Dayton "recruits" out east, and I'm sure GT recruits in the midwest.... I have suggested a series to the AD at Dayton, what do the GT folks think of the idea?

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

According to US News & World Reports: ( Top 10 Catholic National Universities ):

National ranking in parentheses.

1. (19) Notre Dame; $44,477/yr.

2. (23) Georgetown; $47,618/yr.

3. (35) Boston College; $47,394/yr.

4. (67) Fordham; $44,654/yr.

5T. (82T) Marquette; $35,498/yr.

5T. (82T) Saint Louis; $37,428/yr.

6. (107) San Diego; $43,524/yr.

7T. (112T) Dayton; $33,550/yr.

7T. (112T) Loyola; $37,099/yr.

8. (122) Catholic University; $39,798/yr.

Boy, in addition to having a great football team, ( now 6-1 on the season ), that University of Dayton appears to be a great value!xsmiley_wix

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
No discussion on Catholic colleges outside the Northeast can not include the University of Dayton! UD has many students from NY, NJ, PA, etc. The large number of Alumni in NY is one of the reasons we pursued the series with Fordham. Many of the Fordham fans were impressed at how many UD fans were at the game.... Xavier and Notre Dame, please.... UD rules!!!! OK, to be honest, Notre Dame is the number one Catholic school in the midwest and the country, ( sorry BC ). But few kids pick Xavier over Dayton, ( unless they just do not know any better ), (LOL!!!!!)

So what is the story on aid in the NE 10? Rides but not "scholarships"? Is it the same model as the PFL, ( need based and/or academic aid )? I know that when CW Post had some recent success in the Division II playoffs, I was impressed because they were "non-scholarship".

It is non-schollie but if you qualify for financial/academic aid then you basically get a full ride for athletics. On the football team I would say a 10th of the kids receive that. Many people think it is more, but really its not.

Dane96
October 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

According to US News & World Reports: ( Top 10 Catholic National Universities ):

National ranking in parentheses.

1. (19) Notre Dame; $44,477/yr.

2. (23) Georgetown; $47,618/yr.

3. (35) Boston College; $47,394/yr.

4. (67) Fordham; $44,654/yr.

5T. (82T) Marquette; $35,498/yr.

5T. (82T) Saint Louis; $37,428/yr.

6. (107) San Diego; $43,524/yr.

7T. (112T) Dayton; $33,550/yr.

7T. (112T) Loyola; $37,099/yr.

8. (122) Catholic University; $39,798/yr.

Boy, in addition to having a great football team, ( now 6-1 on the season ), that University of Dayton appears to be a great value!xsmiley_wix

And you wonder why people mock you. DUDE...THIS IS AN NEC FOOTBALL THREAD.

Move along. No one gives a **** about UD's rankings. FOR THE LOVE OF...

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
And you wonder why people mock you. DUDE...THIS IS AN NEC FOOTBALL THREAD.

Move along. No one gives a **** about UD's rankings. FOR THE LOVE OF...

lol, i can laugh now because i am almost an NEC person.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
NEC? Is not that the conference that is currently ranked below the PFL and the conference that lost the Gridiron Classic last season...? Maybe Bryant will help to "elevate" the NEC to the level of the PFL, ( I'm not going to hold my breath )!!:D

Good to be back on topic!xlolx

dbackjon
October 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I wish we didnt have to wait 4 years, I think Bryant could win the conference right away and compete nationally. The recruits they got to the school with pressler are impressive. Hopefully the 4 years only helps.

I believe you can move one men's, and one women's sport to D-I right away (as long as it is not football or basketball).

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I believe you can move one men's, and one women's sport to D-I right away (as long as it is not football or basketball).

If that is so I would guess Lacrosse and Women's Soccer would be the two sports they move up right away. I hope that is true and they take advantage.

Dane96
October 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
NEC? Is not that the conference that is currently ranked below the PFL and the conference that lost the Gridiron Classic last season...? Maybe Bryant will help to "elevate" the NEC to the level of the PFL, ( I'm not going to hold my breath )!!:D

Good to be back on topic!xlolx

No...for the reading impaired person from an "elite" catholic school, that is not the topic. The topic is welcoming Bryant to our league.

However, like a broken record, you jump in with one of your three favorite (you hit two...I find that amazing) topics:

1. "Woe be the PFL...we deserve a playoff bid..."
2. "UD is an elite Catholic institution. People from all over the land are knocking down its doors to get in"
3. "San Diego waxed Monmouth-- The PFL is clearly, top-to-bottom, better than the NEC.

The bolded ones are the topics you touched upon in a thread that has nothing to do with UD.

If you have a small peepee...deal. Other than that...injecting Dayton into every f'in thread will not give you respect around these (or any) parts.

Jeeshxnonox

Seahawks Fan
October 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Speaking of peepee, No. 1 (1. "Woe be the PFL...we deserve a playoff bid...") won't be too far behind. xlolx xlolx

Fordham
October 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Great move by the NEC. I certainly don't know the details over whether or not the PL was trying to land Bryant or not but my first reaction is similar to some other PL fans and that's that it really seems like a missed opportunity.

Schools with the kind of profiles that most PL fans like are hard to come by and I thought Bryant was one of them. Add to it that it would have given HC a natural near-by rival to develop and it's a shame.

Again, great grab, NEC.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
OK, welcome to the NEC, Byrant. Hopefully the addition of your fine football program can help to bring the NEC up to the level of the PFL!xnodx

Frankly, I thought it was a requirement for every thread on AGS to contain at least some information about the PFL or Dayton! I'll double check with the admins!xlolx

As for FCS competition and scheduling, Bryant would do well to get on the phone with Iona, Marist and LaSalle. At least that way, the NEC might be able to have a couple of wins over the PFL next season....xnodx