PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week whatever

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Tired of people correcting me on what week it is. :p

What say ye?

Don't see your game? Tough... you make the poll next week. :p

An NO, NDSU fans, games against I-A's do not count.

lizrdgizrd
October 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Gotta go with the homer vote on this one.

xhomerx

HensRock
October 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Tough week. Lots of fair-to-middlin games.
I went with McNeese/Nicholls because I think that one will be the closest and most significant in terms of the Top 25 Standings.

mlbowl
October 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I refuse to vote in this poll...How could Northern Colorado @ Montana not be included?:p

mlbowl
October 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ok, I changed my mind....my vote shall go to GSU @ ASU.xnodx

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I refuse to vote in this poll...How could Northern Colorado @ Montana not be included?:p
xoopsx How did I leave that one off?! xconfusedx Should be a close one. xsmiley_wix

HensRock
October 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
This is Week 8 btw.

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
lot of big games for a lot of top 10 teams.....i have to go with wofford and elon....real big game in the southern conference for a lot of teams. with that said, there are probably 4 or 5 that could have my vote.

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
This is Week 8 btw.
xmadx :p

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'd look at 1 of 3 games:

UNH-Hofstra
Good litmus test for Hofstra, very important game for UNH. A loss means the Cats would have to win out in the tough CAA for a postseason shot. A loss for Hofstra means they'd be 6-1, still without any quality wins.

McNeese at Nicholls
Cowboys have been quietly taking care of business, it seems, letting UNI/Montana/App. St./Wofford/CAA take up all the talking. Any Southland game is a pitfall, but a win in Nicholls would put them in the driver's seat for the title. With 3 of 4 on the road after this one, the Colonels will want to put themselves atop the league early. Strong finishes for both teams could mean playoff births (the only loss between them is Nicholls at Nevada), but both want that autobid.

UNI at WIU
I admit to not being fully sold on WIU. The 'Necks only good win this year was against South Dakota State in Macomb and in 4 OTs. Still, their only losses have been to Top 5 NDSU and FBS Illinois (who somehow seems good this year). UNI has been making their case as the nation's best all season long, but if the 'Necks are as good as people think they are, UNI's shot at a perfect regular season could easily disappear.

bobbythekidd
October 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
If Elon takes Wofford they are both 3-1 in SOCON play. As a SOCON homer I am taking that one for the implications, but the better game is APP/ GSU.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I go with the Nicholl's St/McNeese St game - huge implications for the auto-bid coming out of the Southland and if Nicholls doesn't win this one they could be on the precipice of not even making the playoffs - if they lose here and once more elsewhere they don't have the 7 DI wins (if I counted right, could always be wrong). Big game implication-wise.

As for GSU/Appy, I'm not sure GSU is even that good - I still remember them losing to Chatty a little while back and just barely beating a bad Coastal team. Appy should bury GSU this weekend, especially at home in the blackout. If GSU is even in that game then I'll revise my opinion on both teams.

mlbowl
October 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Should be a close one. xsmiley_wix

I will say a prayer for my beloved Griz....Heavenly Father, please let my under achieving Griz win SO BIG that we may finally impress our friends to the east...amen.:p :D xnodx

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I will say a prayer for my beloved Griz....Heavenly Father, please let my under achieving Griz win SO BIG that we may finally impress our friends to the east...amen.:p :D xnodx

Chadron St shut out UNC at UNC - San Diego and Cal Poly both beat UNC by 5 TD's - I'm not sure any margin of victory will work this week. :p

OL FU
October 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Going with the Southland this week. xthumbsupx McNeese and Nicholls

putter
October 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Going with UNH/Hofstra. Will give an indication for both teams and if UNH loses could put them out of reach for the playoffs. If Hofstra loses it could do the same as they still have difficult conference games ahead.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I went UNH/Hofstra

This game sets the tone for the reast of the season for both teams.
Going a step further the winner will make the play offs the loser will not.

AZGrizFan
October 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I voted NH @ Hofstra, since I think it'll be a good indicator of whether Hofstra is for real or not....xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

UMass922
October 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Tough call; lots of intriguing games this week--especially involving up-and-coming teams that have a chance to prove they're "for real," so to speak: Elon, Nicholls State, Western Illinois, Hofstra, perhaps Fordham.

UNH-Hofstra is the game I'll be most interested in because of its implications for the CAA and UMass--but I cast my vote for UNI-WIU, simply because UNI is ranked #1, and WIU, though 2-0 in Gateway, has to win out against a brutal schedule just to get to eight D-I wins. Elon is in a similar situation against Wofford, as is Nicholls against McNeese, so there's a case for those games as well. The other aforementioned up-and-comers all have a little more margin for error. But it'll be interesting to see how all of them do.

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
FWIW I chose McNeese at Nicholls.

I am surprised there's not much chatter about Fordham/Lafayette... winner has an inside track to the playoffs. xeyebrowx

More than half the votes for GSU at App are App fans. xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
October 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
FWIW I chose McNeese at Nicholls.

I am surprised there's not much chatter about Fordham/Lafayette... winner has an inside track to the playoffs. xeyebrowx

Why are you surprised? GSU is always a big game for us. They were down last year but managed to make it a nail-biter in Statesboro. xeyebrowx

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM

It's a very interesting game, and as a Patriot League guy I'll be watching very closely. I'm not sure it quite ranks up there nationally, given there are plenty of statement games to be made elsewhere (like the one's I picked before). Neither team really has a great win so far. Fordham's best is Lehigh, and Lafayette's best would easily be Fordham if they won. I'll be pulling for a Lafayette victory to keep Colgate alive in the PL race, but I don't think it ranks above some of the others in terms of interest.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Homers. xrolleyesx That game should be over by halftime. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
October 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Homers. xrolleyesx That game should be over by halftime. xthumbsupx
I can only hope that's true - and it's true in our favor. xthumbsupx xlolx

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Why are you surprised?
It's not a battle for first and if Elon beat GSU, you should be able to. xpeacex

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM
It's not a battle for first and if Elon beat GSU, you should be able to. xpeacex

Actually, that should be a new rule of thumb for these polls - if one of the teams involved has lost to both Elon and TN-Chatty in the same year then that game should be disqualified from consideration. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Actually, that should be a new rule of thumb for these polls - if one of the teams involved has lost to both Elon and TN-Chatty in the same year then that game should be disqualified from consideration. xthumbsupx
I was actually this close xpeacex to not including this game in the first place for that very reason... but I knew the App fans who had the greatest game in I-AA history earlier this year would have been upset. :p

lizrdgizrd
October 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Remember last season when BVG was at the helm and App was the defending NC and we still had to go to two overtimes to manage a 7 point win? Well this year they have a good coach. I'm not counting this chicken before it hatches. xsmhx

appfan2008
October 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
definately went for the homer game as it is a big game for us... cant wait for saturday at 330

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Missed the key GWFC game between SDSU & Cal Poly. That's going to be a turning out point for Poly if SDSU wins.

Likewise, SDSU is looking to demonstrate that they are a top30 team, even with a 2-4 record. xthumbsupx

In Brookings, so crowd should have a Jackrabbit win.

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Missed the key GWFC game between SDSU & Cal Poly.
Didn't miss it... didn't choose it. 4-2 vs 2-4 not a game of the week... but a very interesting game nonetheless. xthumbsupx xpeacex

terrierbob
October 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Fightin' Elonians vs. Stunted Bulldogs

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Why are you surprised? GSU is always a big game for us. They were down last year but managed to make it a nail-biter in Statesboro. xeyebrowx
The teams that beat AppSt and GSU are getting half the votes. xeyebrowx

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
My vote was for the UNH/Hofstra.....but really interested in McNeese game.

McNeese_beat
October 19th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I went with McNeese-Nicholls. Aside from the obvious bias from having been the beat writer for McNeese's last 111 games, it is the only game on the list that pits the two teams that are, at this point of the season at least, clearly the best in their conference.

(Possible exception of Lafayette-Fordham).

Cocky
October 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM
The Tenn State v EKU game should have been an option. This game could be the last opportunity for any team to stop EKU from being OVC champs. This could end a long OVC championship drought for EKU.

This game has more playoff significants than several of the games above.

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I think I'm done posting these. The homerism is really too much for me to take. Every UNH fan voting for their game, every App fan voting for their game... heck, even the lone Elon fan voting for theirs. :p

I can't believe how many people can't vote objectively. xsmhx

th0m
October 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
UNH Hofstra. But I'll keep a close eye on all the matchups mentioned, could be make or break time for some teams.

Cocky
October 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I think I'm done posting these. The homerism is really too much for me to take. Every UNH fan voting for their game, every App fan voting for their game... heck, even the lone Elon fan voting for theirs. :p

The App v GSU game shouldn't have been included. Not sure about the UNH game. It shouldn't which games has the most fans but which one is the most important.

CharlestonAppFan
October 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Hey, hey, hey......watch it nowxnonox xnonox...I voted for McNeese and Nichols St...thank you very muchxsmiley_wix :D xlolx xnodx

lizrdgizrd
October 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Why is it so non-objective? You're the one who put them as options. xrolleyesx

Next time we'll just ask you which to vote for first so we we'll be all objective. xnonono2x

gophoenix
October 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM

There are 5 of us here. Just one who posts much. And what game did you expect me to vote for. If you ask me, it is between Elon/Wofford for better or worse or the Hofstra/NH and McNeese St/Nicholls St games.

All three contain playoff implications, all three involved games with surprise teams of the year. And all three games are, for some reason, under-rated as far as the fans here are concerned.

If there is this much homerism in selecting a game of the week, how can we ever take an AGS poll seriously????

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM
There are 5 of us here. Just one who posts much. And what game did you expect me to vote for. If you ask me, it is between Elon/Wofford for better or worse or the Hofstra/NH and McNeese St/Nicholls St games.

All three contain playoff implications, all three involved games with surprise teams of the year. And all three games are, for some reason, under-rated as far as the fans here are concerned.

If there is this much homerism in selecting a game of the week, how can we ever take an AGS poll seriously????

Elon-Wofford would be a very close second for me. I gave the UNI-WIU game the edge only because it involves the #1 team in the country. Nicholls-McNeese is right up there too. That ASU-GSU has gotten double the vote of the much more intriguing SoCon game is, well, totally lame.

Perhaps in the future we ought to forbid folks from voting for a game involving their own team. Not that it would be enforceable. But I mean, we can take it for granted that everyone is going to be most interested in their own team's game; we don't need a poll to tell us that. Oh well. I'm taking this way too seriously.

slycat
October 20th, 2007, 01:22 AM
this poll is full of homers. the app st - gsu game isnt a game of the week by a long shot.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I chose McNeese/Nicholls. We will finally see if Nicholls State is a true contender for the Southland title. Chips are stacked in their favor. If they cannot stay close to McNeese on their home field, they are done.

windwalker
October 20th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I picked WIU/UNI... slight homerism.. I am a WIU alumni

AppStateold299
October 20th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I go with the Nicholl's St/McNeese St game - huge implications for the auto-bid coming out of the Southland and if Nicholls doesn't win this one they could be on the precipice of not even making the playoffs - if they lose here and once more elsewhere they don't have the 7 DI wins (if I counted right, could always be wrong). Big game implication-wise.

As for GSU/Appy, I'm not sure GSU is even that good - I still remember them losing to Chatty a little while back and just barely beating a bad Coastal team. Appy should bury GSU this weekend, especially at home in the blackout. If GSU is even in that game then I'll revise my opinion on both teams.

Although I do agree with you that ASU should crush GSU, it is a rivalry game. No matter what team has the dominate advantage the other team finds a way to get up for the game. It is always one of the toughest games of the year. I mean look at last year. We went to double OT to beat a crappy team. We both get psyched about this game and the atmosphere is crazy. Yes, we will win (hopefully) but it won't be a blow out.

bobbythekidd
October 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Whoever voted for ASU/GSU...

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

lizrdgizrd
October 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Whoever voted for ASU/GSU...

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx