PDA

View Full Version : Asheville papers SLAMS WCU leadership(link)

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
THANK...YOU...KEITH...JARRETT!!!!!!!!!! Bardo, Smith, and Briggs just got OWNED!!!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

How much worse can – or will – it get for Western Carolina football?
by Keith Jarrett, Columnist
published October 17, 2007 12:15 am

Under the failed leadership of chancellor John Bardo, athletic director Chip Smith and coach Kent Briggs, the program is in as bad a shape as anytime in its 74-year history and has supplanted dearly departed VMI as the doormat of the Southern Conference.

The Catamounts have lost 15 of their last 16 games — most by large margins — and the only victory was the result of fortuitous scheduling of a Presbyterian team that offers half the number of scholarships as WCU.
Advertisement

When Smith, with the blessing of Bardo, foolishly gave Briggs a three-year extension last season one game into what would be a 2-9 record, he sealed the fate and prolonged the rebuilding mode that this program has constantly stumbled through for more than 20 years.

At the time the extension was given, Briggs - a nice guy who has shown little ability to coach winning football - was in the last year of his contract and had a career record of 20-24, 12-18 in the SoCon.

He had posted a worse record than the previous year in three of his first four seasons, and his only winning record (5-4 in 2005, while he was battling cancer) was partly the result of a 10-game schedule and having a probable loss at Nicholls State canceled because of Katrina.

Since the extension, Briggs is 2-15. The program recently lost 12 straight games and is 0-10 over the past two seasons in SoCon play.

In those 15 losses, the program has given up an AVERAGE of nearly 38 points a game, and the average margin of defeat is 23 points.

Those numbers are somewhat inflated because of three games against Southeastern Conference opponents, but the 12 Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) opponents during the losing run have outscored WCU by an average of 17.6 ppg.

Briggs (22-39, 12-28 in the SoCon) is working within the limits of an under-funded program that has never made the financial commitment to be successful.

He’s also suffered a remarkably high number of injuries each of the past two seasons, but bottom line is, six years into his regime the program is in much worse shape than when he took over.

The current state (1-6, 0-3) includes 11 straight league losses, 12 consecutive defeats on the road and a ranking of last in the SoCon in offense and defense.

In addition to the constant defeats, the program has been plagued by unexplained defections of players and frequent turnover among coaches.

There’s not enough money committed to hire quality assistants and retain them, but if Smith and Bardo have $330,000 to throw away to lock up Briggs long-term, there is a legitimate question as to how wisely that money would be spent if available.

Recently, a task force formed by Smith was asked to look into what was needed to make the football program successful.

Part of the understanding and findings of the committee is that it would not study the qualifications of the head coach – or the athletic director or chancellor.

And there is the main problem in Cullowhee.

Until the right questions are asked about the leadership and accountability is demanded, there will be no answers as to why WCU football is an embarrassment and shows no signs of doing anything but getting worse.

This is the opinion of senior writer Keith Jarrett. He can be reached at 232-5867 or [email protected].

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CID1990
October 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Wow. I like WCU and hope that they can turn things around soon.

Just not this weekend.

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
YIKES! those boys just got CALLED OUT!

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM
YIKES! those boys just got CALLED OUT!

They NEEDED to get called out. Should've mentioned Don Powers and his porous 1938 era defense that he runs as well.xmadx xmadx xmadx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
They NEEDED to get called out. Should've mentioned Don Powers and his porous 1938 era defense that he runs as well.xmadx xmadx xmadx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

YOU MEAN HIS MAGINOT LINE DEFENCE?xlolx xnodx :D

proasu89
October 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hard to argue his editorial. However, how much should local writers, especially those assigned to cover the program, get involved here? Is Mr. Jarrett reporting or trying to affect change? Also, what bridges do a piece like this burn?

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hard to argue his editorial. However, how much should local writers, especially those assigned to cover the program, get involved here? Is Mr. Jarrett reporting or trying to affect change? Also, what bridges do a piece like this burn?

Not as many as this inept leadership has burned. THAT, I can promise you my friend! FWIW, Jarrett has been covering the Cats for years so he pretty much knows what he's talking about, although I know for a FACT that there are some other names he left out that he could've called out if he indeed had prior knowledge. It's a sad scenario in Cullowhee.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

TheCatamount
October 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM
What can we do to change whats going on?

ElonPride
October 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Remember, an editoral isn't considered true reporting xsmiley_wix He didn't do anything "ethically" wrong.

ElonPride
October 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM

If you give money to the school, STOP! Get a few folks together and do the same. If the school asks why, say you won't give money to the school (or athletics society) until they field a winning program.

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM

If you are a student, you and your mates can DEMAND changes be made. Our football players, students, student-athletes, alumni, and loyal boosters deserve better than this.

GO CATS!!!

terrierbob
October 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
the writer has a set

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
the writer has a set

True. Unfortunately, our administration and coaches do not.xnonono2x

GO CATS!!!

proasu89
October 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Remember, an editoral isn't considered true reporting xsmiley_wix He didn't do anything "ethically" wrong.

Gray area, huh xsmiley_wix As a broadcast journalism major(who is not in the journalism industry) it seems like the line between reporting and editorial license is quite blurred.xtwocentsx Back to the matter at hand, if this in any way leads to righting the ship then it will be for the good.

appstate38
October 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Wow did anyone get the number of that bus that they just got thrown under. Boy o Boy it stinks to be a coach at WCU.

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wow did anyone get the number of that bus that they just got thrown under. Boy o Boy it stinks to be a football coach at WCU.

Fixed it for ya.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppMan
October 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM
If you give money to the school, STOP! Get a few folks together and do the same. If the school asks why, say you won't give money to the school (or athletics society) until they field a winning program.

Disagree 100%. We faced a lot of similar problems with past administrations at ASU. Inept leadership, lack of vision, little respect for our student athletes, and poor funding for the program. Many of us discussed cutting back or eliminating our financial support, but decided we would only be making a bad situation that much worse. We determined to focus our efforts on approaching members of our Board of Trustee and finding influential alumni who would listen to us and take an honest look at the situation. It took YEARS to get the right people to take notice and in positions to affect a change, but we hung tough and got the job done. Just look at what has happened since Ken Peacock took over as Chancellor. It can be done, but it takes perseverance and the understanding you will be ridiculed and discredited by those in charge. You have to beat them at their own game, politics. Remember, you are doing what is best for YOUR school. Our group took the position those people worked for US. Appalachian was OUR school and THEY need to be responsive to OUR wants, desires, and vision for OUR University. Like I said, it took years to finally break through to some people, but after a while we could see the tide beginning to turn. The days Borkowski was replaced and Laney dismissed were two of the most gratifying in my life. Knowing we went up against city hall and won was an awesome feeling.

catamount man
October 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Disagree 100%. We faced a lot of similar problems with past administrations at ASU. Inept leadership, lack of vision, little respect for our student athletes, and poor funding for the program. Many of us discussed cutting back or eliminating our financial support, but decided we would only be making a bad situation that much worse. We determined to focus our efforts on approaching members of our Board of Trustee and finding influential alumni who would listen to us and take an honest look at the situation. It took YEARS to get the right people to take notice and in positions to affect a change, but we hung tough and got the job done. Just look at what has happened since Ken Peacock took over as Chancellor. It can be done, but it takes perseverance and the understanding you will be ridiculed and discredited by those in charge. You have to beat them at their own game, politics. Remember, you are doing what is best for YOUR school. Our group took the position those people worked for US. Appalachian was OUR school and THEY need to be responsive to OUR wants, desires, and vision for OUR University. Like I said, it took years to finally break through to some people, but after a while we could see the tide beginning to turn. The days Borkowski was replaced and Laney dismissed were two of the most gratifying in my life. Knowing we went up against city hall and won was an awesome feeling.

Thank you. Would you mind if and C&P this and email it to some of my Catamount buddies. It's TIME to take the bull by the horns in Cullowhee.

GO CATS!!!

BigApp
October 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
It's TIME to take the bull by the horns in Cullowhee.

GO CATS!!!

would be more appropo to grab the cat by the tail xsmiley_wix

catamount man
October 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM
would be more appropo to grab the cat by the tail xsmiley_wix

Indeed.xthumbsupx xlolx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eyes of Old Main
October 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
From what I know of the situation, I don't see much that can be criticized about this article, except for that it might be more aggresive than you usually see. But, considering the situation, I think it's entirely appropriate. Especially considering how much the Cat fans love their school and team and how little they have gotten recently to show for it.

I think ALL SoCon fans collectively want to see Western get better and these clowns to become unemployed.

james_lawfirm
October 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I agree about 97% with the above. You make it sound like Bortkowski (sp?) left due to being tossed by alumni & other friends of the athletics programs. I think that had more to do with his inappropriate behavior than anything else. Let's remember we are dealing with the staid, true, and fair rules concerning TENURE here. xeekx xeekx xeekx

But, you are right about one thing (well more than one). Chancellor Peacock is a breath of fresh air among the stuffed shirts who normally fill that role. I just hope he makes it through the entire season without dropping one of those trophies!!! Can we put handles on 'em?

mountaineertider
October 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Well he's wearing stick'um gloves now it looks like, so I guess that helps his grip!