PDA

View Full Version : Poll Week 4 Southland Conference Pick 'Em

McCowboys
September 19th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Poll Week 4 Southland Conference Pick ‘em
No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners. I hope to have a poll, but if not, just copy and paste and bold your selections.

All eight SLC teams are in action in week #4.
When all is said and done, all eyes in the SLC should be focused on Hammond America this Saturday when UIW pays a visit to SLU.
Lamar visits Northwestern State in the other game in the opening week of SLC contests.
ASun Jacksonville pays a visit to winless Nicholls who plays its first home contest of the season. FBS Texas State hosts HBU; North American comes calling on Commerce; and winless McNeese hopes for better results against lower division Mississippi College in Cowboy Stadium.
Jacksonville State at Nicholls 9/24/2022 3:00 PM
Lamar at Northwestern State 9/24/2022 3:30 PM
HBU at Texas State 9/24/2022 6:00 PM
North Am at Commerce 9/24/2022 6:00 PM
UIW at Southeastern 9/24/2022 6:00 PM
Miss Coll. at McNeese 9/24/2022 7:00 PM

The Cats
September 19th, 2022, 07:55 AM

McCowboys
September 19th, 2022, 08:05 AM

There is a poll for you to use.

McNeese72
September 19th, 2022, 04:05 PM
Went 6-2 last week. That makes me 17-7 overall for the year. I will pick McNeese again this week. Hopefully, we can get it together enough to beat a Div II team. This rebuilding stuff is slow.

Doc

McCowboys
September 19th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Went 6-2 last week. That makes me 17-7 overall for the year. I will pick McNeese again this week. Hopefully, we can get it together enough to beat a Div II team. This rebuilding stuff is slow.

Doc

I wish McNeese were doing as well as you. There is a poll for you to use for your picks.

McCowboys
September 19th, 2022, 04:48 PM
There are some tough ones this week. Lamar at Northwestern, both are struggling, this may be one of the few chances either has for a win, and as bad as the Demons are (their OC left just before the season began and the DC is new this season) they are usually tough at home.

UIW at SLU, Cardinals at Lions, flip a coin maybe....It's very early in the conference season, but this may be for the conference championship.

Jacksonville State at Nicholls. Voodoo on the bayou. Nicholls finally gets to play a game at home.

Puddin Tane
September 19th, 2022, 10:24 PM
we lost to Northern fricking Colorado---we officially suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...againnnnn..

McNeese72
September 20th, 2022, 07:58 AM
I wish McNeese were doing as well as you. There is a poll for you to use for your picks.

Been using it.

McCowboys
September 20th, 2022, 08:37 AM
Been using it.

Yes, I knew you were. I just hadn't seen your picks for this week. I am still over a barrel on two or three of these games.

McCowboys
September 20th, 2022, 08:08 PM
we lost to Northern fricking Colorado---we officially suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...againnnnn..

So as I pick who I think will win between Lamar and Northwestern State the question is who sucks more?

McNeese72
September 21st, 2022, 08:06 AM
So as I pick who I think will win between Lamar and Northwestern State the question is who sucks more?

Lamar's scores have been closer. And Northwestern got blown out by Grambling who got blown out by Jackson St.

Doc

McCowboys
September 21st, 2022, 08:48 AM
Lamar's scores have been closer. And Northwestern got blown out by Grambling who got blown out by Jackson St.

Doc

Yes, but the Demons are at home, and it is Hell (pun intended) to win there. Even as good as Sam Houston has been in recent years, the Demons always gave them headaches. This may be the Demons last chance at a victory this season.
Sagarin (with home advantage figured in) has Lamar by around 5 points, but Massey has the Demons by 3.
I think I may just have to flip a coin.
I still can't decide between SLU and UIW either.

lionsrking2
September 21st, 2022, 08:55 AM
Yes, but the Demons are at home, and it is Hell (pun intended) to win there.

It is?

McCowboys
September 21st, 2022, 09:58 AM
It is?

For most teams, it is not easy to win there.
Where have you been, Mr. Lion?

lionsrking2
September 21st, 2022, 10:35 AM
For most teams, it is not easy to win there.
Where have you been, Mr. Lion?
I’ve been around. Really busy though.

McCowboys
September 21st, 2022, 10:51 AM
I’ve been around. Really busy though.

I was worried about you. I know Ursus was trying to contact you. I knew you traveled a lot, but was hoping all was OK.

lionsrking2
September 21st, 2022, 02:32 PM
I was worried about you. I know Ursus was trying to contact you. I knew you traveled a lot, but was hoping all was OK.
A lot is an understatement. But all is well—Looking forward to this weekend.

McCowboys
September 21st, 2022, 04:23 PM
I went against the grain and picked Nicholls. There is always lots of voodoo on the bayou.
I picked Lamar because I think their defense is just a bit better.
I went with SLU, though I may be pulling for UIW.
Most McNeese fans seem to realize we are in a major rebuilding process, but there are some who are quite obnoxious. If we lose to a lower division team, it will be a difficult pill to swallow.
Good luck to all teams. Prayers for few injuries and good officiating, especially if you have SLC officials.

McNeese72
September 21st, 2022, 09:01 PM
I went against the grain and picked Nicholls. There is always lots of voodoo on the bayou.
I picked Lamar because I think their defense is just a bit better.
I went with SLU, though I may be pulling for UIW.
Most McNeese fans seem to realize we are in a major rebuilding process, but there are some who are quite obnoxious. If we lose to a lower division team, it will be a difficult pill to swallow.
Good luck to all teams. Prayers for few injuries and good officiating, especially if you have SLC officials.

Question. Is Miss. College an option team? Looking at the stats for their first three games, their offense was just about all rushing and hardly any passing. I 'll take that against our defense.

Doc

pokefan02
September 22nd, 2022, 08:21 AM
They are apparently a Triple option team.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

McCowboys
September 22nd, 2022, 08:29 AM
Question. Is Miss. College an option team? Looking at the stats for their first three games, their offense was just about all rushing and hardly any passing. I 'll take that against our defense.

Doc

Yes, Coach Reese verified that on The Game radio show with Gazzolo yesterday.

McCowboys
September 22nd, 2022, 08:57 AM
Valdosta State plays Mississippi College each year, and so our coaching staff should have some idea about them and their scheme.

McCowboys
September 23rd, 2022, 06:31 AM
ursus arctos horribilis has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

McNeese72
September 26th, 2022, 06:24 AM

Doc

Went 4-2 ths week. So, overall, I am 21-9

Doc

McCowboys
September 26th, 2022, 06:36 AM
Went 4-2 ths week. So, overall, I am 21-9

Doc

I also went 4-2. I missed on Lamar and Nicholls. Either Jacksonville State is much better than I realize or Nicholls really stinks, or a combination of both.

lionsrking2
September 26th, 2022, 10:08 AM
I also went 4-2. I missed on Lamar and Nicholls. Either Jacksonville State is much better than I realize or Nicholls really stinks, or a combination of both.

Nicholls isn't playing well but IMO a function of a brutal early schedule and not being able to generate any confidence. South Alabama is much improved and may win the Sun Belt West. ULM is also improved, plus an FBS and tough to play back-to-back after playing USA. SEMO is also much improved and could win the OVC, and Jacksonville State is playing with over 70 scholarships. But now that Nicholls is entering the softer part of their schedule, they have a chance to get back on track and have a reasonable shot at the SLC title. Remember, UIW doesn't count as a conference game for them. The three toughest conference games remaining (that count) are McNeese, Commerce and SLU—all three are at home. We'll be tough to beat as long we aren't decimated with injuries by then (we already are), but it's the River Bell and could be for the marbles. I'd say McNeese is in a similar boat but have a tougher road. Seasons are long and usually full of all kinds of twists and turns.

McCowboys
September 26th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Nicholls isn't playing well but IMO a function of a brutal early schedule and not being able to generate any confidence. South Alabama is much improved and may win the Sun Belt West. ULM is also improved, plus an FBS and tough to play back-to-back after playing USA. SEMO is also much improved and could win the OVC, and Jacksonville State is playing with over 70 scholarships. But now that Nicholls is entering the softer part of their schedule, they have a chance to get back on track and have a reasonable shot at the SLC title. Remember, UIW doesn't count as a conference game for them. The three toughest conference games remaining (that count) are McNeese, Commerce and SLU—all three are at home. We'll be tough to beat as long we aren't decimated with injuries by then (we already are), but it's the River Bell and could be for the marbles. I'd say McNeese is in a similar boat but have a tougher road. Seasons are long and usually full of all kinds of twists and turns.

Of course I knew Scott had left, but Nicholls has a good coach, and I thought had a better defense than what they have shown so far. But, yes, all those away games at the beginning of the season is tough. Yes, at this point of the season, it's hard to judge some opponents, but it does seem Nicholls was playing teams that are better than they have been in the past.

As for McNeese, in my opinion, we just don't have the QB or receivers for the spread offense we were expecting. One bright spot has been the offensive line which, though young, is getting better. Yes, some may disagree when Alcorn State gets 10 sacks on your quarterback, but some of that was the QB's indecision, good coverage by Alcorn, and hesitancy by the QB. He holds the ball too long too often, IMO. For me, the biggest disappointment in the defense. It has always been one of McNeese's trademarks. I knew our secondary would struggle due to graduation and transfers in the portal, but then two starters are injured and out for the season. The new DC is running more of a 3 man front, and our outside containment has been sorely lacking. However, when the offense is not converting 3rd downs, that is of no help either.

The strength so far (alluding back to the offensive line) is the Cowboys running game. At this point, that is fine with me. Against explosive offenses like UIW and SLU, a time-consuming rushing attack would certainly help out our defense.