PDA

View Full Version : POST WEEK 3 CAA THOUGHTS AND COMPARISONS

MUHAWKS
September 18th, 2022, 10:07 AM
*Disclaimer- apologies in advance for seemingly making every post have some sort of Monmouth perspective involved, but it is just who I am!! love me or hate me for it*.

It seems it is still too early to tell much in FCS for the middle of the road or "improving" teams. That holds true for The CAA as well IMO. Then there are things we are pretty sure of but to what extent is in question. To wit, Let's take Delaware. I think even after 3 games, it is fair to say they are legit. However, are they at the level where they can seriously start thinking of a national title? I will leave that for Hen fans to opine on. I would say probably yes but have only see part of 1 game. More on that and similar in a bit.

I have always had the view, and even more so now that it is hard to win football games and parity among the non top 5-10 schools is as high as ever. So while ND and SD State would probably still walk all over teams like Fordham or New Hampshire, it seems teams that are "ranked" about 35-70 can hang with and give good games to teams ranked 15-25. I am not articulating that well, but hopefully the point is taken. Gardner Webb is a great example. Sure, they may be improved, but how much can a Big South team REALLY improve in 1 season? This is a team that my team (Monmouth) beat soundly every year, including last year 54-17. This was a BAD Big South team every year. Now they go and give a decent FBS everything they can handle and play a top CAA team fairly evenly. Yes both losses, but again I hope you see the point. For years teams like mine and Kennesaw got zero credit for beating these teams and usually blowing them out. Are we at the point where we just want to say "a win is a win period" b/c parity is on the rise or do we question teams that barely slide by "bad" teams (perception wise). Army LOST by 10 to Coastal Carolina, a team that was on the ropes in a major way against Gardner Webb. Then Army beats Villanova by 39 points. Is Villanova not who we they thought they were? Or is it just the old cannot stop the triple option? Scoring only 10 points was a bit eye opening. There are numerous more examples of things like this, but again it is only week 3 so I am not sure how much to read into these things. NC Central may indeed be a good team, but UNH is supposed to win that game. They lose by a wide margin. If Monmouth or Albany or any other non top CAA team lose that game it would surely be looked at as bad. NC Central may be improved and that is really the huge question, are these "average to bad" teams improved? They were 6-5 last year with their wins coming against the worst of the worst. They lost to NC A&T by 23 ( a team Monmouth beat handily). My point is not to try and make Monmouth look better than they are, my point is that 99% of people on this board said The Big South sucks and gave zero credit for winning those games. The Big South may indeed suck, but I feel again that there is so much parity, that unless a team is just woeful, it is HARD to win games. Hampton is 3-0 but I would argue Albany's 0-3 looks better than Hampton's 3-0. Merrimack would be considered a "bad loss" but I watched The Harvard game and they have talent.

What seems to be certain in The CAA, as certain as anything can be after 3 weeks? IMO- It is Delaware is very good and seems to be the cream of the crop who should probably be thinking about going far into the playoffs. William and Mary could be close to that or even in the same boat. Richmond is probably very good and Elon I want to say is in that same boat too.

I will probably get some heat for this but I was not sold on Nova even before yesterday. To be fair, I do not read too much into a game against Army just b/c of the triple option, but 49-10 is 49-10. It may not be a good idea to question Nova the week before Monmouth plays them, but based on recent history and bias of this board, Nova beating us will not mean much anyway.

I saw bits and pieces of URI in 2 games and was left with no real opinion, was tough to tell. I will give benefit of the doubt to those that say they are a top playoff type team.

It seems Stony Brook is down and probably Towson too. That said it would not shock me if they win a game or two they "are not supposed to". Maine I just cannot figure out but so far I guess a down team.

Albany as stated above is 0-3 yet 2 very close games against good or thought to be good teams. Would it shock anyone if Albany stepped up and beat Elon or URI? not me.

Getting back to my original point- It is hard to win games and perception is reality (even though it should not be). The perception is UNH is supposed to beat NC Central and that Gardner Webb should be beaten by 30 by a good CAA team, but reality is just not such. It looks great on paper to blow teams out or to beat good teams but at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters, period. I am going to make you guys sick with Monmouth but the example of us really shows a great example. The Fordham game was legit one play either way and we win. The UNH game was probably the worst loss I have seen b/c we were in control almost the whole game and driving to possibly go up 28-17 late in third or early 4th (actually we did score or get to the 1 and there was a penalty that did not effect the play that nullified it). If the Queen had balls she would be the King. But what is my point? The point is UNH and Fordham both became ranked (in either stats, coaches or both) and we were an 0-2 afterthought. So we make those 2-3 plays and would be sitting at 3-0 which based on that logic would put us in the top 20-25. But I can assure you we have too many flaws to be anywhere near that, but it was not b/c we got outclassed it was b/c of Literally 2-3 plays. So make 2-3 plays and you are ranked 22nd. Do not make them and you are thrown out with the trash. I AGREE with this however, and that is my point. There is very little separating being ranked 20th and in contention for playoffs and becoming 4-7 and thought of as crap. The gap is not wide. That in my opinion, is FCS football and also CAA football for the NON top couple teams. So it should not be a "bad" loss if and when Monmouth or Albany or whoever beats a good team.

It seems on a national level, Delaware and William and Mary are and will be relevant. Richmond and Elon may be. Villanova I want to say is but can I be blamed for not buying in yet? I also feel that beating non conference teams who are thought of as average or not good still matters a lot b/c again it is hard to win games!!

To end this, although it sounds like I am ridiculing UNH or Elon, it is the opposite. Certain teams just provide bad matchups and I do not think too much should ever be made of 1 game. I think it is hard to win football games and a win is a win, period. While that makes it true that a loss is a loss, not too much can be read into 1 game. I guarantee you if Delaware goes 10-1 but loses to Albany it will not hurt them or change the perception. Conversely if Albay goes 4-7 and beats Delaware, they would gladly switch places. So my opinion is that teams that have "good losses" should absolutely be given credit for them only when it is in conjunction with a 7-4 or 8-3 record with a couple good wins. And teams should not be docked for bad losses or close wins against "bad" teams when the overall body of work says otherwise.

crusader11
September 18th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Respect posts like this. Love the passion.

MUHAWKS
September 18th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Respect posts like this. Love the passion.

You guys are rolling and I love it! Harvard and Fordham are the big ones with obviously the Rams counting a bit more. If both of you can enter that game undefeated it would be something! Ohio seems like a possible obstacle for The Rams even though they are a bad FBS team. But if they can get past them and Stony Brook and you guys take care of biz against Harvard, it will be even more hyped. I know you wont look past Lafayette or Colgate but all things being equal those should be wins. Cat wait to see how HC D looks against an improved from last year DeMorat ad co.. Defiitely great for FCS football to have two good and perhaps one great team relevant on national level

crusader11
September 18th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Thanks...be nice to have a two-bid Patriot this year. A 9-2 Fordham team (losses to Ohio and HC) definitely gets in, I think. 8-3 would be in the conversation.

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Villanova was not the best team in the CAA before the season or at anytime during the season. They played 2 cupcakes with Lehigh & LIU. Both games won without much doubt, but far from dominating fashion for a team ranked among the FCS nation’s best.

Army exposed the inexperienced & undersized Nova defense. Rushing for 472 yards & passing for 0. I never bought into my team’s hype. They will give up big plays on defense this season. Watkins has the arm & legs to be a stud by the time he leaves Nova in a few years, but his early season decision making has been horrific relying on a talented arm to bail him out of totally no win decisions. The results have led to 6 INTs the past 2 games.

I expect Nova to be competitive and win more than the lose mostly against teams with equally inferior defenses.
I dont see them holding good CAA offensive teams down. Watkins & co. also could help the defense with better ball control.

The CAA is now a good FCS conference, but the big dogs are out West & the talent disparity has widened the past few years especially with JMU moving on to greener pastures.

xpeacex

Sitting Bull
September 18th, 2022, 11:06 AM
My thoughts on shifts from week 2:
Stocks up: Delaware, UAlbany, Hampton, Maine
Stock down: UNH, Villanova
Top 3: ​Delaware, W&M, Richmond

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2022, 11:21 AM
MUHAWKS darn you, You should write a book called the “thread starter” Stephen King would be proud 😂

I just posted this on your other CAA thread and I’ll put it over here

But don’t let me discourage you, AGS could use some more passionate fans like yourself

Re: CAA THOUGHTS?
After week 3, were getting a better understanding of what’s going on in the CAA

Delaware, with a dominating win over Rhode Island yesterday has made it clear they are a different type of team this year and his name is a healthy Nolan Henderson.

I’m not putting too much emphasis on Villanova’s loss yesterday, Army is a pretty good team and Nova always had a mulligan. Game was fun but means not a lot.

Rounding out the top 4 are William and Mary and Richmond, I say top 4, but I’m not really putting these top 4 in any order as both of these teams are capable of winning the conference

Elon Don’t sleep on them but not really going to stay awake watching them either

Rhode? I thought they were a little overrated last year but it will be interesting to see how they bounce back after yesterday’s loss. They’re not as bad as they looked yesterday. In a CAA conference that has a line of demarcation dividing good CAA teams and Patriot League looking teams, Rhode Island straddling the line but can still break on through to the other side

New Hampshire got beat rather easily at home by North Carolina Central... out of the MEAC
and after wins against weak sisters Monmouth and Albany, New Hampshire was actually in the AGS top 25. And remember they lost their last eight games to close out 2021... UNH is not back just yet

Delaware plays Hampton followed by Towson before the big October 8th game against William and Mary in Williamsburg. I hate to get ahead of myself but both teams could be coming in undefeated at 5-0.

wmmii
September 18th, 2022, 11:25 AM
Tribe seems to be real deal if they avoid key injuries.

MUHAWKS
September 18th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Villanova was not the best team in the CAA before the season or at anytime during the season. They played 2 cupcakes with Lehigh & LIU. Both games won without much doubt, but far from dominating fashion for a team ranked among the FCS nation’s best.

Army exposed the inexperienced & undersized Nova defense. Rushing for 472 yards & passing for 0. I never bought into my team’s hype. They will give up big plays on defense this season. Watkins has the arm & legs to be a stud by the time he leaves Nova in a few years, but his early season decision making has been horrific relying on a talented arm to bail him out of totally no win decisions. The results have led to 6 INTs the past 2 games.

I expect Nova to be competitive and win more than the lose mostly against teams with equally inferior defenses.
I dont see them holding good CAA offensive teams down. Watkins & co. also could help the defense with better ball control.

The CAA is now a good FCS conference, but the big dogs are out West & the talent disparity has widened the past few years especially with JMU moving on to greener pastures.

xpeacex

Appreciate this view- most fans not honest enough to say what you did, me included!

- - - Updated - - -

MUHAWKS darn you, You should write a book called the “thread starter” Stephen King would be proud 

I just posted this on your other CAA thread and I’ll put it over here

But don’t let me discourage you, AGS could use some more passionate fans like yourself

Re: CAA THOUGHTS?

After week 3, were getting a better understanding of what’s going on in the CAA

Delaware, with a dominating win over Rhode Island yesterday has made it clear they are a different type of team this year and his name is a healthy Nolan Henderson.

I’m not putting too much emphasis on Villanova’s loss yesterday, Army is a pretty good team and Nova always had a mulligan. Game was fun but means not a lot.

Rounding out the top 4 are William and Mary and Richmond, I say top 4, but I’m not really putting these top 4 in any order as both of these teams are capable of winning the conference

Elon Don’t sleep on them but not really going to stay awake watching them either

Rhode? I thought they were a little overrated last year but it will be interesting to see how they bounce back after yesterday’s loss. They’re not as bad as they looked yesterday. In a CAA conference that has a line of demarcation dividing good CAA teams and Patriot League looking teams, Rhode Island straddling the line but can still break on through to the other side

New Hampshire got beat rather easily at home by North Carolina Central... out of the MEAC
and after wins against weak sisters Monmouth and Albany, New Hampshire was actually in the AGS top 25. And remember they lost their last eight games to close out 2021... UNH is not back just yet

Delaware plays Hampton followed by Towson before the big October 8th game against William and Mary in Williamsburg. I hate to get ahead of myself but both teams could be coming in undefeated at 5-0.

My bad brother, at the time I didnt see anything, and did not want people to miss it by posting in old thread..

KPSUL
September 18th, 2022, 12:51 PM
After watching the NCCU vs NC A&T game on video, I knew they would be a tough opponent, but I didn't expect them to play a near perfect offensive game against what I thought was our pretty stout defense. QB Davius Richard eviscerated our D but more with his legs than arm. He had 140 yards rushing to keep the sticks moving numerous times. His decision making was impeccable. Also great support from the whole NCCU offense; no fumbles, no dropped passes. Great downfield blocking. Other than the first two UNH series (3 and out, pick 6) UNH moved the ball equally effectively. But waiting until two TDs down to start rolling on offensive made all the difference, we weren't going to make up a 14 point differential given how efficient the NCCU offense was in that game. Each team only punted once, UNH's was on the 1st series.

So give all the credit to an underrated NCCU football team,that came in with a great game plan, gritty determination and a QB that we simply couldn't contain.

As far as the rest of the UNH CAA season, nothing changes in my mind. I came into the season thinking we could lose or win any of our conference games, and still feel the same. Actually, the only game I saw as a likely win was NCCU - and we saw how that went.

As far as other take-aways for me from this CAA weekend is that Villanova's loss to Army does mean something. Combined with Delaware's big win at URI, I see the Hen's as the clear favorite to win the conference this season.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2022, 01:42 PM
After watching the NCCU vs NC A&T game on video, I knew they would be a tough opponent, but I didn't expect them to play a near perfect offensive game against what I thought was are pretty stout defense. QB Davius Richard eviscerated our D but more with his legs than arm. He had 140 yards rushing to keep the sticks moving numerous times. His decision making was impeccable. Also great support from the whole NCCU offense; no fumbles, no dropped passes. Great downfield blocking. Other than the first two UNH series (3 and out, pick 6) UNH moved the ball equally effectively. But waiting until two TDs down to start rolling on offensive made all the difference, we weren't going to make up a 14 point differential given how efficient the NCCU offense was in that game. Each team only punted once, UNH's was on the 1st series.

So give all the credit to an underrated NCCU football team,that came in with a great game plan, gritty determination and a QB that we simply couldn't contain.

As far as the rest of the UNH CAA season, nothing changes in my mind. I came into the season thinking we could lose or win any of our conference games, and still feel the same. Actually, the only game I saw as a probable win was NCCU - and we saw how that went.

As far as other take-aways for me from this CAA weekend is that Villanova's loss to Army does mean something. Combined with Delaware's big win at URI, I see the Hen's as the clear favorite to win the conference this season.

....NOT SO FAST...SYRUP BREATH.....ONE GOOD DUBBYA....DOE NOT UH SEASON MAKE......WHEN YA'S PLAY UH MOSTLY ERROR FREE GAME ONE DAY.......THERE'LL BE....ONE DOWN DUH ROAD.....WHEN NUFFIN' GOES AS PLANNED.........AH EXPECT DUH HENS TA BE UH TAD FLAT...AGIN' HAMPTON......AS CARTY HAD 'EM WHIPPED INTA UH FRENZY.....AN' YOU-DEE UNLEASHED DUH FRUSTRATION....ON RHODEY....AFTER 4 STRAIGHT TRIPS....BUT HAMPTON COMES @ UH GOOD TIME......WE COOD BE DEALIN' WHIFF LONDON...OR HUESMAN.....OR UH CRANKY 'NOVA NEXT WEEK....AN' EVEN HAMPTON SHOOD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY......AS YOUSE NOW KNOW.....WHIFF NCCU..........BRAWK!

KPSUL
September 18th, 2022, 02:30 PM
....NOT SO FAST...SYRUP BREATH.....ONE GOOD DUBBYA....DOE NOT UH SEASON MAKE......WHEN YA'S PLAY UH MOSTLY ERROR FREE GAME ONE DAY.......THERE'LL BE....ONE DOWN DUH ROAD.....WHEN NUFFIN' GOES AS PLANNED.........AH EXPECT DUH HENS TA BE UH TAD FLAT...AGIN' HAMPTON......AS CARTY HAD 'EM WHIPPED INTA UH FRENZY.....AN' YOU-DEE UNLEASHED DUH FRUSTRATION....ON RHODEY....AFTER 4 STRAIGHT TRIPS....BUT HAMPTON COMES @ UH GOOD TIME......WE COOD BE DEALIN' WHIFF LONDON...OR HUESMAN.....OR UH CRANKY 'NOVA NEXT WEEK....AN' EVEN HAMPTON SHOOD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY......AS YOUSE NOW KNOW.....WHIFF NCCU..........BRAWK!

Sounds like a good bit of sand-bagging to me - Trying to lower expectations? Since MUHAWK sez we supposa do compar'n here, the DE @ Navy game makes for a a very tidy comparison to the Nova @ Army game. And I spent 28 years in the Army, so I know all there is to know about sandbags.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2022, 02:56 PM
............BUT HERE'S DUH DIFF....DELAWARE HAD ENTIRE PRESEASON....TA MASTER DUH TRIPLE O....DEFENSE......NAVY'S VERSION WAS WEEK #1....(NOT WELL OILED).......'NOVA HAD ONE SHORT WEEK TA FIGURE IT OUT....AN' ARMY WAS MO' COMFORTABLE....BAH WEEK THREE...HENS HAVE UH MATURE ELEVEN....WHERE AS 'CATS....ARE YOUNGIN'S......ARMY'S FULL-BACKS WERE UH LOAD....NAVY'S BACKS....ON DUH LIGHT SIDE.....AH WAS IN DUH AIR FORCE....4 YEARS/2 IN JAPAN........AIR FORCE TRIPLE-O IS ALWAYS DUH REAL DEAL.....ARMY/NAVY WHO???.....FALCONS ALWAYS....OWN 'EM BOTH....BRAWK!

ps.........THANKS FO' DUH 28 YEARS.....NOW DAT....IS IMPRESSIVE....xsmileyclapxxhighfivexxhandshakexxhu gxxhandshakexxhighfivexxsmileyclapx..............x salutex......AWK!

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2022, 03:40 PM
3074697 (tel:3074697)[/URL]]............BUT HERE'S DUH DIFF....DELAWARE HAD ENTIRE PRESEASON....TA MASTER DUH TRIPLE O....DEFENSE......NAVY'S VERSION WAS WEEK #1....(NOT WELL OILED).......'NOVA HAD ONE SHORT WEEK TA FIGURE IT OUT....AN' ARMY WAS MO' COMFORTABLE....BAH WEEK THREE...HENS HAVE UH MATURE ELEVEN....WHERE AS 'CATS....ARE YOUNGIN'S......ARMY'S FULL-BACKS WERE UH LOAD....NAVY'S BACKS....ON DUH LIGHT SIDE.....AH WAS IN DUH AIR FORCE....4 YEARS/2 IN JAPAN........AIR FORCE TRIPLE-O IS ALWAYS DUH REAL DEAL.....ARMY/NAVY WHO???.....FALCONS ALWAYS....OWN 'EM BOTH....BRAWK!

ps.........THANKS FO' DUH 28 YEARS.....NOW DAT....IS IMPRESSIVE....xsmileyclapxxhighfivexxhandshakexxhu gxxhandshakexxhighfivexxsmileyclapx..............x salutex......AWK!

The Cadets pushed Nova around from the opening to ending whistles.

Nova lost their entire starting LB unit (including the FCS leading tackler Forrest Rhyne currently on the Colts PS) & CB Christian Benford (starter for Bills as a rook)…. Plus they lost DC Ola Adams now a Denver Bronco assistant. They looked average to me vs. Lehigh & LIU. Lost vs. Army.

Our QB is talented, but needs to be better with his progressions & take what the defense gives him. Our run game is FCS capable so I can see Nova leaning heavy on the run game the rest of the way trying to keep this defense off the field & waiting for Watkins to mature.

Nova is not the best in the CAA currently, but they can be pretty good when the final leaf falls that 3rd Saturday in November when the Dirty Filthy Birds fly north to the Main Line.

xpeacex

Southsider
September 18th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Boy, MUHAWKS has way too much time on his hands. (although I admire your passion)!

Bill
September 18th, 2022, 06:20 PM
...............AH WAS IN DUH AIR FORCE....4 YEARS/2 IN JAPAN........AIR FORCE TRIPLE-O IS ALWAYS DUH REAL DEAL.....ARMY/NAVY WHO???.....FALCONS ALWAYS....OWN 'EM BOTH....BRAWK!

Mr. Chicken! Who woulda thunk it! I didn't think Foghorn could fly very well...but you are also a Falcon! Nicely done yourself, sir.

KPSUL
September 18th, 2022, 06:28 PM
............BUT HERE'S DUH DIFF....DELAWARE HAD ENTIRE PRESEASON....TA MASTER DUH TRIPLE O....DEFENSE......NAVY'S VERSION WAS WEEK #1....(NOT WELL OILED).......'NOVA HAD ONE SHORT WEEK TA FIGURE IT OUT....AN' ARMY WAS MO' COMFORTABLE....BAH WEEK THREE...HENS HAVE UH MATURE ELEVEN....WHERE AS 'CATS....ARE YOUNGIN'S......ARMY'S FULL-BACKS WERE UH LOAD....NAVY'S BACKS....ON DUH LIGHT SIDE.....AH WAS IN DUH AIR FORCE....4 YEARS/2 IN JAPAN........AIR FORCE TRIPLE-O IS ALWAYS DUH REAL DEAL.....ARMY/NAVY WHO???.....FALCONS ALWAYS....OWN 'EM BOTH....BRAWK!

How could an academy referred to as Air Force live with itself operating a ground and pound offense on the football field?

Tribal
September 18th, 2022, 08:26 PM
W&M can run the ball. Hanging our hat on that. 4 All-CAA talented backs.

With our former starter and current backup QB on sick leave, we are one bad hit away from suddenly being down to our 3rd stringer. Wilson is an elite dual threat QB but he’s not big and he has taken some hits. Elon will be our first real test all season…we’ve beaten them the last three games but two were nail biters with one going to 5OT.

We’re also banged up on defense, so that’s worrisome. Thin in our secondary but probably have the top 5 edge tandem in the FCS in Lynn and Pius.

About Villanova, I’ll never count them out. I think they’ve struggled against running teams going back to the 2021 fall season but they are very well-coached and have excellent talent in all three phases.

HC vs Delaware will, I hope, be a match-up of two undefeated teams. They travel very well so Zable will be packed to the gills.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2022, 10:20 PM
The Cadets pushed Nova around from the opening to ending whistles.

Nova lost their entire starting LB unit (including the FCS leading tackler Forrest Rhyne currently on the Colts PS) & CB Christian Benford (starter for Bills as a rook)…. Plus they lost DC Ola Adams now a Denver Bronco assistant. They looked average to me vs. Lehigh & LIU. Lost vs. Army.

Our QB is talented, but needs to be better with his progressions & take what the defense gives him. Our run game is FCS capable so I can see Nova leaning heavy on the run game the rest of the way trying to keep this defense off the field & waiting for Watkins to mature.

Nova is not the best in the CAA currently, but they can be pretty good when the final leaf falls that 3rd Saturday in November when the Dirty Filthy Birds fly north to the Main Line.

xpeacex

.....EXCUSE ME GANGSTER........BUT...............xviolinx........ ......BRAWK!