Yuck, what an awful slate of games.....

bonarae
September 17th, 2022, 11:58 PM

I'm afraid it will be that pattern for the foreseeable future xsighx xsmhx

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2022, 07:56 AM
Huh?

That 2 Ivy games, 3 against the Patriot League, and just 1 NEC opponent.

I thought the Ivy-PL games are so important to both sides?

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2022, 08:04 AM

Wow you’re not lying

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Huh?

That 2 Ivy games, 3 against the Patriot League, and just 1 NEC opponent.

I thought the Ivy-PL games are so important to both sides?

The PL-IL games are important and generally intriguing. But like everything else in life, the participating parties need to do their part. Lehigh, Lafayette and Georgetown are going nowhere this year. On the flip-side, I still believe Harvard/Holy Cross will be worthy of watching.

Even the IL conference games are meh. Maybe Cornell has turned the corner? Can Yale regroup?

Dartmouth should roll past SHU. The Pioneers might have a worse offense than Lehigh which is really saying something...

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2022, 09:04 AM
The PL-IL games are important and generally intriguing. But like everything else in life, the participating parties need to do their part. Lehigh, Lafayette and Georgetown are going nowhere this year. On the flip-side, I still believe Harvard/Holy Cross will be worthy of watching.

Even the IL conference games are meh. Maybe Cornell has turned the corner? Can Yale regroup?

Dartmouth should roll past SHU. The Pioneers might have a worse defense than Lehigh which is really saying something...

Well, I agree outside of HC, Fordham, Yale and maybe Dartmouth - the rest of the IL-PL is unwatchable. Please spare me the Harvard and Princeton excuses. (NEC isn't any better this year)

Anyway, I think the SHU offense​ is the real problem. They were shutout by Lafayette, scored just 14 points at CCSU, and could only manage 7 at Morgan State (+ 2 points on a safety). They have a total of 3 TDS in 3 games. They rushed for just 60 yards against Morgan State yesterday.

On defense, they are much better than Lehigh. Pios held both Layfette and CCSU to just 1 TD each. Somewhat surprising to surrender 24 points to Morgan State, but the Bears did put up 21 against CAA Towson the previous week.

crusader11
September 18th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Please spare me the Harvard and Princeton excuses. (NEC isn't any better this year)

It's one week.

Why Yale and not Harvard, Dartmouth, or Princeton who were all picked to finish above Yale?

Yale was underwhelming yesterday. Nolan Grooms is not the answer. He wasn't the answer last year and I was surprised Reno wasn't able to find a better option than him yesterday. Yale also didn't seem to have their typical reliable receiving corps (or maybe they do and Grooms just can't get the ball to them).

Unfortunately, Princeton's OOC is downright awful (Stetson, Lehigh, Lafayette), so it will be difficult to know just how good they are out of the Ivy League.

Harvard plays HC and Dartmouth plays UNH, which are good barometers.

crusader11
September 18th, 2022, 09:29 AM
...by the way, two Ivies who were picked to finish in the bottom half of the league impressed yesterday...Cornell went on the road to VMI and beat them up really good, while Brown beat what looks to be a tough Bryant team (close losses to URI and FIU).

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2022, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, Princeton's OOC is downright awful (Stetson, Lehigh, Lafayette), so it will be difficult to know just how good they are out of the Ivy League.

Harvard plays HC and Dartmouth plays UNH, which are good barometers.

Same excuses. Ivy plays the weakest FCS non-conf schedule without question. One "game" for Harvard is just not enough. Princeton hasn't played anyone in decades. Yale has consistently challenged themselves outside the IL.

The NEC is having a very down year, but let's also acknowledge our SOS compared to the Ivy. NEC teams have 7 FBS losses racked up already and another one coming next week (Wagner at Syracuse).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2022, 09:45 AM
Well, I agree outside of HC, Fordham, Yale and maybe Dartmouth - the rest of the IL-PL is unwatchable. Please spare me the Harvard and Princeton excuses. (NEC isn't any better this year)

Anyway, I think the SHU offense​ is the real problem. They were shutout by Lafayette, scored just 14 points at CCSU, and could only manage 7 at Morgan State (+ 2 points on a safety). They have a total of 3 TDS in 3 games. They rushed for just 60 yards against Morgan State yesterday.

On defense, they are much better than Lehigh. Pios held both Layfette and CCSU to just 1 TD each. Somewhat surprising to surrender 24 points to Morgan State, but the Bears did put up 21 against CAA Towson the previous week.

I meant to say worse offense than Lehigh when referencing SHU. Mental blip there....

As it is, just a lot of "meh" right now outside out of the top 4-5 teams in the Northeast (Holy Cross, Villanova, Delaware then Fordham? Harvard? Princeton? Dartmouth? URI?) right now. Very little quality depth....

crusader11
September 18th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Same excuses. Ivy plays the weakest FCS non-conf schedule without question. One "game" for Harvard is just not enough. Princeton hasn't played anyone in decades. Yale has consistently challenged themselves outside the IL.

The NEC is having a very down year, but let's also acknowledge our SOS compared to the Ivy. NEC teams have 7 FBS losses racked up already and another one coming next week (Wagner at Syracuse).

It's strange why the Ivies are scheduling games with the PFL. What in the world is Princeton doing traveling to DeLand, FL for a game?

Princeton has played Monmouth in recent years. That's a good series against a quality opponent.

It doesn't help that they routinely play L and L from the PL, who have been down recently. When Lehigh was a fixture in the top 25, that's a great game.

But, yeah, their games against Stetson, Butler, etc. are just stupid.

The Ivies, for better or worse, only care about seven games a year and the three OOC games are nothing more than "filler."

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2022, 09:55 AM
I meant to say worse offense than Lehigh when referencing SHU. Mental blip there....

As it is, just a lot of "meh" right now outside out of the top 4-5 teams in the Northeast (Holy Cross, Villanova, Delaware then Fordham? Harvard? Princeton? Dartmouth? URI?) right now. Very little quality depth....

Gotcha on SHU. :) Agreed. There is a very big gap after those top 3 - Delaware, HC, Villanova. The Northeast region has very little depth

After that, you probably have URI, Fordham, and UNH. These teams have a chance to win a few meaningful games to impress. After 1 week, can't put any IL team in that conversation (we'll see in after 1 or 2 more games). And I would keep SFU in that second tier right now - they have some playmakers and can roll off a few more wins as good as anything most of the Ivy can scrap together.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2022, 10:08 AM

...AH WOOD DEFEND...DUH IVY APPROACH......IT'D BE TOUGH TA COME IN COLD YER FIRST WEEK...AGIN CAA'S/PATS.....WHOM ARE IN WEEK 3.......YALE/HOLY COW......MAYBEAH DIFFERENT....IFIN' IT WAS FEW GAMES LATER.........BRAWK!

Go Green
September 18th, 2022, 02:55 PM

Princeton was supposed to play Army in 2020.

But... COVID.

Pards Rule
September 19th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Princeton was supposed to play Army in 2020.

But... COVID.

When was the last time they played? We were supposed to play Navy that year...last time we played Navy I was just a year out of Lafayette...1985. I went down to Annapolis and saw a massacre! I recall seeing and HEARING a Navy alum with a wind up siren attached to the railing in tier above me. Of course I got an earful but great venue.

Go Green
September 19th, 2022, 09:28 AM
It's strange why the Ivies are scheduling games with the PFL. What in the world is Princeton doing traveling to DeLand, FL for a game?

When the game was scheduled. Stetson's head coach was the former head coach at Princeton. He's since moved on. I'd be shocked if they ever play each other again...

NY Crusader 2010
September 19th, 2022, 09:36 AM

Princeton needs to play a series with Delaware or W&M. The Tigers did schedule a couple solid Monmouth teams recently (probably by accident) and won both. In the first game of the series they beat a playoff-bound Monmouth team 51-6.

Is Penn not playing Villanova anymore?

NY Crusader 2010
September 19th, 2022, 09:39 AM

Princeton has played Monmouth in recent years. That's a good series against a quality opponent.

It doesn't help that they routinely play L and L from the PL, who have been down recently. When Lehigh was a fixture in the top 25, that's a great game.

But, yeah, their games against Stetson, Butler, etc. are just stupid.

The Ivies, for better or worse, only care about seven games a year and the three OOC games are nothing more than "filler."

Same with Dartmouth playing a home and home with Valparaiso. Play Maine or get Colgate or HC back on the schedule.

crusader11
September 19th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Same with Dartmouth playing a home and home with Valparaiso. Play Maine or get Colgate or HC back on the schedule.

I kind of wonder, given that the Ivies start their season in week three, if some of these schools are scheduling PFL programs as a glorified tune-up for their season.

Stetson, Valpo, and Marist were on the Ivy slate this past weekend.

Go Green
September 19th, 2022, 11:59 AM

We played Butler on time because a team captain was from Indy. And I presume that there is some form of Dartmouth alumni club in Indy as well.

We played Stetson because the aforementioned coach also used to be a Dartmouth assistant. And it's kind of fun to go to Florida.

Why we agreed to a series with Valpo is less clear to me...

In any event, I don't think any more PFL teams are on the future schedules. It's pretty much the usual PL/NEC/CAA opponents.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2022, 12:57 PM
We played Butler on time because a team captain was from Indy. And I presume that there is some form of Dartmouth alumni club in Indy as well.

We played Stetson because the aforementioned coach also used to be a Dartmouth assistant. And it's kind of fun to go to Florida.

Why we agreed to a series with Valpo is less clear to me...

In any event, I don't think any more PFL teams are on the future schedules. It's pretty much the usual PL/NEC/CAA opponents.

was it because you thought it was the one known as sailors Disneyland in the Southern Hemisphere?

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2022, 08:46 PM
Some surprises last week...

Columbia at Georgetown
Harvard at Brown
Lafayette at Penn
Dartmouth at Sacred Heart
Yale at Cornell
Lehigh at Princeton
I’ll go out on a limb and pick Yale to edge New York A&M (a/k/a Motel 6 U) at Dummkopf Field. Otherwise, I agree with these picks.

blackbeard
September 23rd, 2022, 02:21 PM

Easily the worst showing for the NEC in the 10-12 years I have been following. Really down year, SHU offense has been worse than bad.

Heard someone comment that the SHU/Morgan St betting line on the game total was the first one under 30 in CFB in several years, at 29.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2022, 10:28 PM
I’ll go out on a limb and pick Yale to edge New York A&M (a/k/a Motel 6 U) at Dummkopf Field. Otherwise, I agree with these picks.

Do you mean SUNY-Ithacaxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2022, 03:49 PM
Do you mean SUNY-Ithacaxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix
Mediocrity by any other name….:D

bonarae
September 24th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Final scores:
Harvard 35, Brown 28
Columbia 42, Georgetown 6
Penn 12, Lafayette 0
Yale 38, Cornell 14
Sacred Heart 38, Dartmouth 31 in OT
Princeton 29, Lehigh 17

DFW HOYA
September 24th, 2022, 05:43 PM
Final scores:
Harvard 35, Brown 28
Columbia 42, Georgetown 6
Penn 12, Lafayette 0
Yale 38, Cornell 14
Sacred Heart 38, Dartmouth 31 in OT
Princeton 29, Lehigh 17

Q: Why does the Ivy keep playing the Patriot League?
A: Lots of wins.