PDA

View Full Version : VMI vs the Tribe

Keydet90
September 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Anyone have any insights or comments on VMI vs W&M game coming up this week. It is one of the most historic series in the South and VA. I hesitate to use the term rivalry b/c in order to have a rivalry each side must at least win one once in awhile, which sadly has not been the case here. Nonetheless VMI is feeling like they came out and made something of a statement and they see their odds as very good in the BSC this year.

How close really was they W&M vs Marshall game? Is Marshall down this year as some say? Any injuries for W&M last week?

VMI's win looks good but we failed to break any long plays and were playing against a staff that had only been in place since June. So this probably wasn't the best Davidson team in years. VMI had no serious injuries and played mistake free football. VMI playing W&M at home this time too. Let's hope this bodes for a good, clean and hard hitting football game that has action down to the wire.....and of course a Keydet victory to get the "rivalry" going again. :D

Anyone else wish to opine?

DP '90

GannonFan
September 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I've actually been on record that this is one of the least competitive IAA series in the past decade - W&M could schedule a host of DII teams and have a harder fight than what VMI has given them. I'm at a loss as to why VMI has been as bad as they have been for so long, and I'm not optimisitic that they've turned the corner here. I expect W&M to win fairly easily, by about 20 sounds right. I'm pulling for VMI to eventually get things turned around - it just makes IAA better - but I think I'll still be waiting.

Tribe4SF
September 5th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Anyone have any insights or comments on VMI vs W&M game coming up this week. It is one of the most historic series in the South and VA. I hesitate to use the term rivalry b/c in order to have a rivalry each side must at least win one once in awhile, which sadly has not been the case here. Nonetheless VMI is feeling like they came out and made something of a statement and they see their odds as very good in the BSC this year.

How close really was they W&M vs Marshall game? Is Marshall down this year as some say? Any injuries for W&M last week?

VMI's win looks good but we failed to break any long plays and were playing against a staff that had only been in place since June. So this probably wasn't the best Davidson team in years. VMI had no serious injuries and played mistake free football. VMI playing W&M at home this time too. Let's hope this bodes for a good, clean and hard hitting football game that has action down to the wire.....and of course a Keydet victory to get the "rivalry" going again. :D

Anyone else wish to opine?

DP '90

Tribe played Marshall very tough. We are bigger, faster and more physical on defense this year. Held Marshall to 103 yards rushing.

Tribe had several injuries last week. Starting OG Ryan Lumm out for the year with broken leg. Starting MLB Thad Wheeler with internal bruising, out indefinitely. Starting QB Mike Potts with sprained ankle, status unknown. Starting OT Michael Grenz with possible hernia, status unknown. We were already missing starting WR Joe Nicholas with bruised spleen, status unknown.

OL FU
September 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
VMI's one game winning streak comes to an end. :(

Sly Fox
September 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'm glad to see the optimism coming from Lexington after beating a non-scholie team in your opener. But winning the Big South much less being competitive with W&M is a long way from reality at this point. I love these longtime rivalry games and I hope you continue them. But at some point the Keydets have to start showing improvement. Being a doormat in our league is rather embarassing.

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Virginia has enough quality I-AA teams to start their own league and Old Dominion is due to come on board in the future. I remember some great UD VMI games in the 70's and I am really confused how VMI has sunk so low. After all This is Gerogie Patton's Alma Mater.

My view is that W&M has more than enough horses to win this one going away. I will be interested to see how our Delaware boy Potts does especially with his ankle sprain. But that is a side issue W&M can sit Potts all game and still win this.

Go...gate
September 5th, 2005, 05:37 PM
It was George C. Marshall's (e.g the Marshall Plan) Alma Mater as well.

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
It was George C. Marshall's (e.g the Marshall Plan) Alma Mater as well.
And one guy Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson was an instructor there. They still study his "Valley Campaign" in every military academy in the world.

The Keydets did some great fighting in the Civil War as well. (New Market)

bigred
September 6th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I am impressed with your knowledge of the history of The Mother Institute. To my friend from Liberty, in 2003 we choked big time and you all beat us at the buzzer and last year is not a good comparison with the skeleton crew we had on the field. I mean come on, you know it is bad when you have one of your wide receivers taking the snaps from center.

I agree that beating Davidson is no litmus test of how the rest of the season will go. A "good" showing against the Tribe could help shed some light, but I do not live in the pipe dream that we might actually get a win on Saturday.

I said it before though, if the Keydets stay healthy we may just surprise a few people this year...especially those attending school down in Lynchburg.

citdog
September 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Patton was a West Point Grad only went to "The Institute" for one year.

Like I said last week work began on a permanent display case for the Silver Shako in Mcalister Field House. :D

bigred
September 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Like I said last week, it is easy to keep it for more than one year when you guys choose not to play us and go after the big money games, looking forward to seeing the Pups in Lexington in November.

citdog
September 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
It takes a Citadel Man to run the VMI football program!

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2005, 08:27 AM
VMI is much improved this year. Wilson and Mizzer are quality players, and this is the most experienced team I've seen at VMI in a long time. Anxious to see how much better they are. I can assure you, the Tribe is not taking them lightly, and the Citadel should not either.

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2005, 10:03 AM
William & Mary wins by 20+ points.

Lapper
September 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
It takes a Citadel Man to run the VMI football program!

But it takes a VMI grad of '59 to win at the Citadel. You can thank Bobby and the Institute when they take the shako back in November. :nod:

citdog
September 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM
We will see. Bobby did an excellent job while he was at El Cid and many of his players at the time are now prominent coaches Ellis Johnson, Dave Solazzo et al.